Speaker 1: Flex and on cat Welcome to the party.
Speaker 2: It's flex and prooms.
Speaker 3: As always, this episode is so good, is it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's fantastic.
Speaker 3: I personally love when we dive a little bit deeper into stuff. And also this affirms the point that I made when we even started this show that people assume we're quite similar because we've ended up in a similar place. And while our aspiration is like, you know, similar ish, our approach is very different and our why is very different, like we've ended up here very different reasons, and we get into that quite deeply. We don't reach conclusion because ten minutes is never enough to but there's enough juice in there that you can take that topic and chuck it in your own group chats and see.
Speaker 2: What you believe in.
Speaker 3: So we're going to talk about if you'd rather be successful or happy, no special, special or happy and not very special.
Speaker 4: Of you to stuff it up that is special.
Speaker 2: I rarely make mistakes.
Speaker 3: And we also touch on a moral dilemma of whether you want to get paid a million dollars to be an egg for a year. It sounds silly, but it's actually quite deep.
Speaker 2: Did it make you think? It makes you think?
Speaker 4: I think it could be depressing, because what about if you don't have anyone.
Speaker 2: To take care of you. That's a big one. I don't want to I don't want to put that out.
Speaker 3: The hardest part of the question whether or not you can you know someone will take care of you, as opposed to whether or not you want to just like tap out for a year and lose consciousness.
Speaker 2: It's never that simple. Anyway, let's get into it.
Speaker 1: This is flex and frooms.
Speaker 4: I have been getting into a new TV show. It's an old TV show. It's called Keeping Up with the Kardashian.
Speaker 3: Which surprises me so much. Why I just didn't think you'd watch it, you know what? And it's not about you. I think it's more about the show.
Speaker 2: Oh hell so. I think it's just.
Speaker 3: The format of the show. There are so many seasons, so many episodes. And I think that the people I know who watch the Kardashians are super fans who are really really interested in being up to date with what's happening as it's happening. And I'm pretty involved in the Kardashians as well. But even I'm like too much. I don't think I need to know the intricacies of how things go down. I'm happy to see like the headline article, but what do you like about it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because that's the thing.
Speaker 4: For the longest time, I was just looking at them on social media, never following, not for any shade reason.
Speaker 2: Just dabbling. You're a ghost follower. I'm a ghost follower.
Speaker 4: Go through phases like once every month, I get I need my little like dirty news, bad for you feed.
Speaker 2: I'm going on the daily mail for long, going on the Kardashian having a look at some Australian influences that I liked when I was fifteen.
Speaker 4: Kind of vibes no name dropping, nah, but not good for the mental health. That type of thing, you know, in a k hole makes you feel bad about yourself trying. But I was just bored the other day looking on Netflix and I saw they have The Kardashians season five to season ten.
Speaker 2: This is prime time.
Speaker 4: Kylie and Kendall are like thirteen and fifteen. Oh wow, super super young. I feel like this the time when the Kardashians turned from kind of like not small town America, but like they're still in their regular homes in Calorblassis, Calabassus, and yeah, the girls are still really young, and the Kardashians kind of look like what they originally looked like, like there hasn't been that much surgery, et cetera. I was watching the episodes where Kim Kardashian tests if her butt's real. She like goes and gets an X ray. Have you not seen that? What? Yes?
Speaker 2: Say? It was real? Yeah?
Speaker 4: This time around like twenty eleven ish where all these.
Speaker 2: Kind of like.
Speaker 4: Magazine articles were coming out about how her asks isn't real obviously because it's quite rotund. She's quite a rotund And yeah, her and Corney went and got scans because Courtney has fake tatars, so they showed what looks like when it's fake.
Speaker 2: And they showed Kim Kardashian's bum and it's all fat.
Speaker 3: That is such a setup though, that's doing that's testing in bad faith because Courtney's breasted the silicon and Kim's butt was a fat transfer. Why would her own fat shop in an X ray?
Speaker 2: Was it a fat transfer?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: How do you know that? So bbl wait.
Speaker 3: I don't do silicon butt implants anymore because they don't settle very well. And then you end up seeing the line of demarcation between the end of the silicon shape and the side of your butt because with the way that gravity's working, the silicon implant kind of like sits below that your butt ridge. Yeah, so it's fat transfer.
Speaker 2: Okay, now I feel jibbed. Yeah, But essentially what I.
Speaker 4: Deduced from watching those episodes is that if you want a little bit of like a throwback to twenty eleven twenty fifteen culture, which you know, I love, the Kardashians is a wonderful way in because all the fashion, all the things they talk about are so that time, and I remember watching it back when I was younger and then returning to it you.
Speaker 2: Have a completely different rate on it.
Speaker 4: But the most interesting thing that I found was that in probably season six, Kim Kardashian was doing a like chemist resigning, Like she was at the most random chemist, doing a meet and greet, a RinkyDink bloody meet and greet, And it just made me realize, Yes, it confirms our idea that you need to be cringe to be successful. Yes, doing a sit down meet and greet at a goddamn chemist's probably the most cringingk you'd ever do. And there wasn't fanfare there wasn't paparazzi.
Speaker 3: Which goes I think that aligns neatly with the point that I'm trying to make, or I'm still mulling over what it is. But there's something about traditional celebrities that will withstand the test of time because they're willing to do what new celebrities don't want to do. New celebrities don't want to be cringe. They don't want to do the small shows, the small stages, the things that seem beneath them, because it's really easy to have your worth inflated when you get a bunch of views or follows or whatever. But traditional celebrities recognize that you have to do that bottom of the barrel stuff to get by. And also the thing with the actions that we have to talk about this at length at some point, but just for now, I want to say that we should all pay attention to how they use that TV show.
Speaker 2: As one long advertisement.
Speaker 3: They are just so good at morphing the storylines to suit whatever they're selling at the time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So if you want to have a bit of a throwback, if you want to have a look at what culture, because they are on the precipice of culture whether or not we.
Speaker 2: Like it or not. Absolutely, I love it.
Speaker 4: I think originally they were more following trends. Now they create trends, and I think it's interesting to see that demarcation per season.
Speaker 2: That's hot.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Flex and Frooms on Kita.
Speaker 4: Question for you, FLEXI, would you prefer to be happy or special?
Speaker 2: Happy? Interesting? Would have thought the complete different answer?
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I it would have been a different answer before.
Speaker 4: But you know, we're going to give into that because I need to pick your brain. But basically the other day I was listening to a podcast. It's called The Imperfect. It's an Australian podcast created by Ryan Shelton, one of my favorite all time comedians and writers. He's like the blueprint of funny Australian comedy and he does it with this guy called hu Van Silenberg from The Resilience Project, which basically like teaches people how to be resilient.
Speaker 2: That's sick.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's really cool. I love every single episode that they do anyway. This one was with Glenn Robbins, the guy who played kel day Night in Kathink Kim.
Speaker 2: Not familiar but Russell Cooit. He's like Russell coit.
Speaker 4: See, I'm not going to do other ones because I know that you don't know anything that he's done, OK, which is fine. I always find it so interesting that you have this whole of knowledge where I know everything about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's kind of cool.
Speaker 4: So they were talking to old May all about like his acting and comedy career, and they were talking about imposter syndrome and being vulnerable, and basically Ryan brought up this thing that he'd heard, which was this really incredible accomplished business woman was talking to someone and basically she was asked the question would you rather be happy or special? Because this woman is like out of the park, one in a thousand, really really good at a job. I doesn't sound like a lot of a thousand, you know, one in one hundred thousand. She's like a big, big one in a million.
Speaker 2: I'm being realistic. She's all right, she's right.
Speaker 4: And basically she was asked question, Yeah, would you prefer to be special or happy? And she's got a family, like, doesn't spend enough time with them, blah blah blah. Turns out she still would prefer to be special above you know the things that I ast intensibly bring you happiness like family, and it got me thinking who else in this world would prefer to be special over happy? So I put a poll on my Instagram and hear other results.
Speaker 3: Because off the dome, I could imagine more people would prefer to be happy than special, because in this day and age, happiness, sustained happiness feels less attainable.
Speaker 2: Do you think so? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think you can fake being special for little while. It's so easy to niche down these days that you can be perceived as special when you aren't. But you can't really fake happiness very long.
Speaker 4: Someone even say happiness is not a state, it's rather a fleeting moment. But anyway, ask my audience and eighty one percent of people would prefer to be happy. Oh, nineteen percent said special, which I don't think is true. I think people are under inflating how much they desire to be special. But here are some of I ask people to elaborate.
Speaker 2: This is what people have said.
Speaker 4: I ask people who would prefer to be special. They said they want that because of success and bettering myself selfishly, I think about being better than most others. Someone else said recognition from multiple areas of my life. I definitely conflate this with happiness. Someone said I can't picture happiness without success. I think theoretically I want to be special, but actually I want to be happy. Other people said it about work, like I want to be the go to person at work feeling appreciated and celebrated. I need that in the workplace. And other people talked about I think in part it's related to giftedness and being recognized and seen, and a lot of people thought it was due to childhood, either being the middle child or being told that you are gifted or special.
Speaker 2: That gifted and talented syndrome.
Speaker 3: Hmmm.
Speaker 4: And another one that I thought was really interesting was someone saying, I think people are lying saying they don't want to be special. That's being no, that's not what the question asked though I know, well they're just mister projectie. And they said big Aussie culture slash tall Poppy syndrome.
Speaker 3: Correlation does not equal causation. Can I can I elaborate on my answer? I already feel special, So like, if you're telling me, what would I rather than happy, I'm not value I'm not valuing my specialness because I am. It's like if you asked me, would you rather have macas or hungry jacks. I'm going to want what I don't have frequently because I already have access to what I have access to. It's not that enticing. So the question is, would you rather be special or happy? I said happy because I already feel special?
Speaker 2: Why do you feel special? Because I am.
Speaker 3: Talk to me through the definition of special, and I quote better, greater, or otherwise different from what is usual.
Speaker 2: I'm already special. What areas of your life is special? Literally? Everyone? Okay? And I also like, I'm not comparing an I need specific examples for people.
Speaker 3: Well, I think when I'm saying special, it's in my like immediate world, Like I don't know what's happening in Lithuania. I don't know what's happening in Portugal, so I can't speak for that. But in terms of my network, I feel like I'm better, greater, or special.
Speaker 2: And you're happy to freely admit that to everybody?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, because it's it's like it's not quantifiable. Being special is not something you can quanti. It's you know what I mean, Like, special is not a numerical thing. It's like I'm not saying that I am two percent smarter than everybody else, Like, I cannot quantify that, so in my delusion, yeah, I'm special.
Speaker 2: So you think it's a delusion, Well, I think in my delusion, i'm special.
Speaker 3: I don't know how anyone else is quantifying what special is for them?
Speaker 2: Do you know what I'm saying?
Speaker 3: I think so, Like, for example, if the question was would you rather be perceived as.
Speaker 2: Pretty or smart?
Speaker 3: Right, you're not here being like, well, I'm sixty five percent pretty and you're abcent pretty. Therefore you're just like, it's a vibe. I feel pretty. I've been told I'm pretty, therefore I feel pretty.
Speaker 2: It is what it is.
Speaker 3: I think with this one, you're asking you to put a measurable value on what cannot be measured.
Speaker 2: Mmm.
Speaker 4: Well, let's say you have to pick one, happiness or being special. So let's say in this universe, Flex is really special. There's no really, there's no one like Flex in the media landscape in Australia. She does all these things. She makes t shirts, got this Hassan.
Speaker 2: T shirt to make this one. I know I wish not a special.
Speaker 4: But there's another Flex in an alternate universe. Who is the happiest, most content person possible, shouldn't necessarily have much special about her to the I guess yes. Something with this is we need to define who is deciding what's special.
Speaker 2: Well we are.
Speaker 3: I think that's what makes the question interesting, Like as soon as you try and broaden it to like will other people validate if I'm special or happy?
Speaker 4: The point is moot, so us internally to ourselves or us mean flexing f ums to everybody else?
Speaker 2: You to yourself?
Speaker 4: Oh well, then like everybody thinks they're special.
Speaker 2: That's the point.
Speaker 3: But how closely does your inner reality align with your outer reality? Like I think I'm special, and I've done enough special things. I'm not grasping at straws.
Speaker 4: But let's say someone is like a surgeon who has saved one hundred people's lives. They might not necessarily think that you're special, but.
Speaker 2: Who cares, Like what's this surgeon got to do with me?
Speaker 3: Like, what's some random person who's done something that's even more special got to do with me?
Speaker 4: Because oh okay, because it's just you're trying to create this.
Speaker 3: Like omnipotent measuring system where like everybody in the world can be in this one ranking one definition of special and it's like, well, how are you gonna know?
Speaker 4: Well, I think it's because a lot of people base how they feel.
Speaker 2: A lot of people are you, Oh, you.
Speaker 4: Do this to me every time I'm saying, I'm saying a lot of people because in my research of people the DM ME, the vast majority were saying, feeling special is external validation. There's a little bit of internal, but mostly it's external.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I can relate to that, and that's and that's what I said for me, it's external and internal.
Speaker 4: So let's say that special, Let's say the external gets taken away. Yeah, so you feel happier more than you feel special. I would rather be more happy than special. Being special is really isolating.
Speaker 2: Interesting. Okay, that's the kind of an what I was hoping for. Ohe me.
Speaker 3: That there's a lot of value being special, but that value comes from a very superficial place and that's neither here nor there.
Speaker 4: But did you say successful or special superficial? But before that, did you say success is superficial or specialness is superficial?
Speaker 3: I was affirming what you were saying about how a lot of specialness is superficial and external. Yes, But if I had to choose, I would rather be happy, because a lot of me seeking out specialness is to attain some kind of happiness. Yes, you know, I would just rather like bypass the middleman and just be happy.
Speaker 2: Imagine me just toiling outside being like this time, just like cackling all day. That amazing.
Speaker 1: This is flex and frooms.
Speaker 3: For the last I think it'd be coming up to three months now. Every week we've discussed some kind of way to get rich, not just for ourselves. We are scouring the internet for the tricks of the trade and then disseminating the information to you, and it's been fantastic so far. There's been a theme of bodily fluids, selling spit and bath water farts. It's all quite gross, but it's making people multimillionaires, so I'm not one to judge. You can't hate from outside the club. I've been trying to find a balance of how often I look at news and news sources, especially local versus international news. I used to bog myself down trying to be really aware of what's happening globally. I just go stick with locally and every now and then I'll do my Bloombergs, my CNBC, see what's popping off A couple of weeks ago came across this headline, and you would think it came from the onion, but it didn't listen to this. Geico, an insurance company, was ordered to pay five point two million dollars that's USD to a woman who contracted an str during sex in an insured vehicle. Now off the dome. I'm trying to do the maths, like do I contact the insurance company?
Speaker 2: Is it mine? Is my car? Is it my? What's going on? Is it the doctor? Huh? Is the doctor calling?
Speaker 1: Oh on?
Speaker 2: Behalf of you? Yeah, serving the papers and it's like, what did the car do to you? Tell me more? Let me it is.
Speaker 3: So, it says that Geico has been ordered to pay five point two million dollars in damages to a woman who contracted a sexually transmitted disease in the insured vehicle of her then boyfriend.
Speaker 2: It says that the Missouri.
Speaker 3: Court of Appeals published an opinion in favor of the woman who alleged that she contracted HPV during a sexual encounter in the insured vehicle in twenty seventeen. So HPV can be spread through direct sexual contact or and cause like, what's on the genitals and stuff. But this is the thing. They're saying that the insured So the boyfriend negligently caused or contributed to this girl getting HPV by not taking proper precautions and neglecting to inform her of the diagnosis.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: So the girl that got the HPV said that she checked her boyfriend's car insurance policy and that it covered injuries and losses. So she's claiming that the damages associated with contracting HPV should be covered by his insurer because it happened in the car.
Speaker 2: I said, sis can be my lawyer. Literally, how would you want to think about me? I don't read the fine print?
Speaker 4: Maybe I should drick and she was a lawyer perhaps, Yeah, that seems crafty for sure.
Speaker 2: I'm so impressed.
Speaker 4: And this definitely happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is on USA today. Oh, I don't know if that's a very good source. Why don't er and then I'll believe it. I don't know is not writing about this.
Speaker 3: Daily mail? I'm giving you something anyway. She then filed the motion with the trial court, the rule in her favor and confirmed the judgment of five point two million damages for past and future medical expenses. As well as past and future mental and physical pain and suffering. Get it, amen, that is incredible. I'm so happy for her.
Speaker 4: Also, if there's a hierarchy of sexually transmitted infections, HPVA.
Speaker 3: Is very low level. Yeah, so you've got a more hectic one. Get more money. If you happen to contract something in an ensured vehicle, look at the fine print.
Speaker 2: Maybe COVID.
Speaker 4: Ooh, you get yourself a little baut of long COVID. You're sitting on your ass for the rest of your life.
Speaker 1: This is flex and frooms.
Speaker 3: This TikToker Blazy underscore Mosa posted this hypothetical scenario and I was like, I can I can steal this. I can do something with that. Anyway, ponder this. Please might want to close your eyes. Maybe that'll help. Think about if you were given an opportunity a million dollars to be an egg for a year. You don't feel the time passing, you don't have a consciousness.
Speaker 2: You're just an egg.
Speaker 3: Then you wake up a year later with the money, feeling like no time has passed.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: But the only catch is if the egg breaks you die, you get to choose one person to look after you in egg form, However, if the person you choose breaks the egg, they get the money.
Speaker 2: So would you do it? And who would you choose to guard your egg?
Speaker 4: Oo?
Speaker 2: Is it like a boiled egg? No, you're just like a regular from the chicken's womb.
Speaker 4: Okay, I wouldn't do it because money isn't a main motivator for me.
Speaker 2: Five million, I wouldn't do it.
Speaker 4: I don't think you give me any amount of money to do it.
Speaker 2: A billion?
Speaker 4: Now what am I going to do with a billion dollars? I just want a house. A million might get me a house, or at least a deposit towards a house that I want, but at what costs a different eastern state?
Speaker 2: But alas would I do it?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: But if you forced me to do it and it was four five million, I would of course give myself to my mum.
Speaker 2: She's a nurse.
Speaker 4: She takes care of people for a living, and therefore I think she would quite easily make sure that I don't break.
Speaker 2: But I don't.
Speaker 1: That's really sweet.
Speaker 2: Shout out to mom, God bless you. Heather. But yeah's name is Heather? What do you mean You've never said this before?
Speaker 1: What do you think it was?
Speaker 2: Heather? Very much.
Speaker 4: Heather and Liza are mums, and it's very much of that era. I would say, for sure, Gorge, but I am in a stage of my life. Maybe two years ago he said, oh, you get to be not conscious for a year. Might have said, yes, the million dollars is simply a bonus.
Speaker 2: But I'm in a lockdown. No, what about you? The thing is, I believe in witchcraft.
Speaker 3: So my concern is that if you turn me into an egg, I might not come back all there.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Like this sounds too good to be true. The fact you can just turn me to turn me back? What happens to my insides? Where's my heart go? If we're imagining ourselves in a hypothetical land, be an egg for a year, no time has passed for you, you wake up with the coin I think I might do it?
Speaker 2: Has time passed for everyone else?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: See, people have moved on. Yeah. But the thing is, I'm trying to be rich, not famous.
Speaker 3: So give me the billy, knock me out, wake me up, and I'm letting Sally look after me.
Speaker 2: Oh that's nice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's got good caretaker energy and she'd really take it. Seriously, Are you giving her some of the million though, of course. Okay, fifty to fifty.
Speaker 2: I'm one who was knocked out.
Speaker 4: Okay, now I reckon. She's gonna break you unless it's fifty fifty. Nah, she's good to get a cut. And for those whon't know who Sally, Sally is my best friend's soulmate. We've known each other for ten years. We used to work in retail together.
Speaker 3: Oh wait, maybe I wouldn't do it because if I got dropped, I'd die and I really don't want to die.
Speaker 4: This is what I mean. You don't trust Sally. Sally gives me clumsy energy.
Speaker 2: She is clumsy. We'll come back to it now I'm stressed out.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to the Flex and Rooms catch up podcasts. For more, tune into Kata on DAB or check it out right here on iHeartRadio.