Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud yr the Order KERNI Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money. She's on the Money.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money, the podcast for millennials who want financial freedom. My friends, Today is Friday, which means I'm back the Bjay episode. Is that what we're calling it?
Speaker 4: B and there's an and there.
Speaker 2: I've never had more fun listening to a Friday Drinks episode. Like arguably, I did not want to come back. I laughed the whole way through. I can't work out if it's because I'm biased, because they really like you guys, or you're actually funny. I'll leave that up to our community. To decide. I also had a very wholesome message from somebody on the She's on the money account this week and they said, oh my gosh, like hahaha, listened to the B and Jay episode. She thought that you guys were talking about Ben and Jerry's so funny. I tackled and then said, Jessica, reach out to them. They have really good ice cream.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Ben and Jerry's. If you want to work with us, slamkout.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll be here. Obviously. That's very exciting. We are back for another week of celebrating you guys. You are my favorite people in the entire world. And today we're going to be sharing or Jessic Richi is gone to be sharing our favorite money wins. Beck has a tasty broke tip, and we're going to be helping to answer juicy money dilemma, which this week is all about explaining investment terms, one of my favorite sexy topics, and we're going to be unpacking something that you slid into our DMS about and we're going to talk about whether or not you should disclose your only fans side hustle to your boss. Ah. So let's dive straight into the week that has been Miss Beck sayed, how has your week been?
Speaker 5: Where week has been?
Speaker 2: Lovely?
Speaker 5: Jessica Rici and maybe even you have maybe heard about the current affair saga, Yeah.
Speaker 2: You're like famous now well and I got to see nature after. Can I tell people that I know you? You absolutely can, but I just want you to know that. Unfortunately, but also fortunately, our landlord decided not to raise our rent, so we had to pull.
Speaker 4: We had to pull the pull our part of the ste putting the rent up at all?
Speaker 2: Not at all? That is a fantas on Did you just pull a swifty blackmail and safe you? Like we could technically make this issue go away if you didn't put our that what's going on? Literally we didn't even have to do that.
Speaker 5: We just sent a very very nice email saying, we love our relationship with you guys, like I think that we're really respecting the property. We would love to maintain this, but wondering if you would maybe think about increasing it a little bit less or giving us a bit more time to find alternative accommodation. And they came back and said, what a lovely email. We don't want to increase it at all. In order to run to a current of fan be like, hey, let's not do this, let's not do this.
Speaker 2: I don't want to do this anymore.
Speaker 5: And so we we will no longer be famous, rich and famous.
Speaker 4: Oh that's an awesome outcome, possible.
Speaker 2: Totally almost like a fake outcome, Jess, Like imagine being like, we sent a really nice email and they just decided not to put our end time.
Speaker 4: Like that never happened close my mind, that they didn't like or meet you in the middle. Yes, they've got an increase, fair enough, like everyone's increasing whatever. But I'm just shocked that they went from we're increasing it by a ridiculous amount to I don't worry about it, like we just know.
Speaker 5: They weren't even like, oh, well well okay, well we'll increase it a little bit. They were just like, no, we're not doing any We didn't even ask for that. But anyway, we're very happy.
Speaker 2: We'll take it. We'll take it, and we'll run and we will tell a current affair. Sorry not sorry, thank you for your time, but we can't play anything. We can't play we can't be friends anymore. Great outcome, great week. I don't have a famous friend anymore, Jess, What did you get up to this week.
Speaker 4: Nothing crazy four day work week. We love that. It's always so nice having that little extra day. I went away last weekend, and I'm going away this weekend.
Speaker 2: So fancy. I don't just love packing five days worth of work into four.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there is like that outcome, I suppose, especially because not everybody had the public holiday on the Monday, which I didn't realize until someone pointed that out, and I was like, oh, like that makes it harder because some people are working and some people But it's just nice. You feel refreshed after a short week, don't you.
Speaker 1: Totally?
Speaker 2: You absolutely do. I did exactly the same thing. I'm not going away this weekend, but my best friend Rose was over from London, and you best believe we made it an entire foody weekend. Like basically all we did was eat, which was a ten out of ten. Not so much for our banks, chrise. Food turns out good food is expensive, yes, but that that's okay. That was like a life win money loss, but I love it. Jess. Let's jump into the money wins of the week, though. I want to know what were your favorites, because I feel like I snooped through them a fair bit this week.
Speaker 3: And there was some really good ones.
Speaker 2: They sure were.
Speaker 4: My first money win this week comes from Teagan, who said, I canceled my gym membership that I hardly used and it was sixteen dollars a week. Now I'm only paying twelve dollars a month for an at home program instead.
Speaker 2: Genius twelve dollars a month. That's a good money for good also so good? Do you know what I don't like when they don't share what program that is? Yeah, if you're saying it's good and it's only twelve bucks, drop the workout?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm curious to know. My next money wind comes from Zooey, who said money win recognizing my tendency to spend for instant gratification through finding this podcast and community. As soon as I recognize that saying hey, that's what I do, it's been so much easier to identify detrimental spending. And I have had my first week remaining in budget. Oh my gosh, thanks Victoria for what you do. Love you in the community.
Speaker 2: How you right? That's so nice? How good is that that? I don't know? I just I get so excited about this concept that when people are introduced to us and our community and what we're up to. They don't feel like it's restrictive. They feel like it's liberating. And that message just showed me that you guys do it every week for me. But I just feel like it shows me that money doesn't have to be about restriction. It can just be about really identifying what your values are and what your behaviors are and you know where a min to work for you. Because someone could have listened to that and been like, Bavi, that's my favorite part of my life. And I totally get that, and you do you it's all about education. But I just I'm obsessed with the fact that Jess the stuff that we talk about it actually works, slight impacts people. It blows my mind.
Speaker 4: Speaking of recruiting, the next money when comes from Grace, who said, I sat down with my boyfriend and wrote out a financial plan to pay off his debts within the next two to three years. So proud to see him feeling confident and making more fiscally conscious decisions as we work together to say for our first home.
Speaker 2: I love how little people are.
Speaker 4: Going out and spreading the good word.
Speaker 5: If she's on the money on street corners.
Speaker 2: I am obsessed, but I'm not gonna lie. I was being a little bit self centered when you started that. You were like, oh, talking about recruitment, and I thought you were going to say, Zella Money is looking for a mortgage broken. I thought that would be good. It's also true. So if you're a mortgage broken and want to work with me, slide into our DMS, or better yet, apply the job at is on LinkedIn. And also, Jess, we're hiring for a copywriter and sure aunt of Money, so that is also on LinkedIn. Go have a look.
Speaker 4: Yeah, don't side of my dams go to LinkedIn.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't do that to Jess because she'll just send you to LinkedIn and it would just be a little loopedy loop think.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So it was bad advice from me, but it is good advice to come work with us one hundred pc.
Speaker 4: We like to think we're fun.
Speaker 2: More money wins please though.
Speaker 4: Next one comes from Julie, who said on Saturday, I bought a handmade upholstered footstore of Facebook marketplace for my mummy and the lady and I got talking about our hobbies. We shared our Facebook pages with each other and our ideas she's also like me, very creative. That night she messaged me wanting to buy a painting and she picked it up today.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I know.
Speaker 4: I'm just really feeling like the little community vibes. I think. Not on theme. Our last one this week, but on brand comes from Holly, who says mac has a small cheeseburger meal with a Shaky's nine dollars you order on the app. A happy meal is only four ninety five and you can upgrade the drink to we shape for free.
Speaker 2: Yeah god, yeah, do you know who already knew that? Just go to reach you.
Speaker 4: We love a MacDonald and age I've got this week.
Speaker 2: A happy meal always makes Jessica happy.
Speaker 4: Love it. I had one on the way to this studio.
Speaker 2: You did did you get?
Speaker 4: I didn't?
Speaker 2: Actually look? You can ask for no toy so you can be an out of sorry like that's not an option.
Speaker 4: You can like it. I'll go get my twin give it to you now.
Speaker 2: Thank you, money win the money? Is that all right? Table?
Speaker 1: Beck?
Speaker 2: No cheeseburgers in your broke tips this week? I don't think. But what have you got for us? Okay comes to Beck's Broke Tips, Got something just as exciting do.
Speaker 5: This one comes from one and only Victoria device.
Speaker 2: Use my broke tips. This is you gaming the system. When we gave you this segment, we said, Beck, you'll come up with a broke tip each week. You know, it was really lazy. This week it's smarter, not harder.
Speaker 5: And also, time is money, and I feel like I saved a lot of time and money using your broke tips.
Speaker 2: So right is basically what it is.
Speaker 5: So Victoria brought in some what I would you know, consider gormet, muffet nor met, I believe met. Yeah it's like saying target, but yes, we know what it is, the fancy way to say it.
Speaker 2: But turns out she we spent less than three dollars makeing I did it with the money in I thought I was pretty good. The broke tip of this week is it's a recipe. It's not just a tip. It's not just a tip. It's a recipe.
Speaker 5: So if you want some really cheap, quick and easy snacks, desserts, whatever.
Speaker 2: The hell, you can use them for literally anything anything. There, any snack, birthday cake, whatever you want. So if you go to Coal's, you get a ninety cent vanilla cake mix, and they come in other flavors.
Speaker 5: They do a tin of Coal's apple slices two dollars, but sometimes on sale.
Speaker 2: For one dollar. Yep, exactly. I got them on sale for one dollar, all in the same bowl. You don't even have to drain the apple. You put the apple juice from juice for tin. Like, get your cake mix back, yep. Dump the cake mix. Then we're going to dump the whole tin like you just opening, no draining, dump it in yep, and then the maths.
Speaker 5: That's the I'm assuming you put the rest of what's on the packaging of the Coal's box, just.
Speaker 2: Just the mix. Mix it together, chuck it in the oven one eighty and you have, after about fifteen to twenty minutes, about twelve nicely sized cupcakes. I mean, if you wanted to double it up, you'd have six good muffins. That would be a good morning tea, but like very very good. The benefit here is that it's super cheap. You also don't need to be a master chef, like literally dump it in the bowl. If you want to get creative. I feel like I'm taking over Bexbroke Kicks. I'm very passionate about Chree muffins. You can mix up the flavors totally.
Speaker 4: I was thinking you could add cinnamon if you did the apple apple cinnamon. Mate.
Speaker 2: I have done that. I just didn't want to tell beck about the cinnamon part because then it gets like complicated, more expensive, more expensive, true, Tue, True, But Jess is obsessed with peaches. Yeap vanilla peach muffins.
Speaker 5: Yeah, stunning the canned peaches.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the canned peaches has so two dollars at coals. Look at that one hundred percent. You know what, You could save even more money doing going to Audi to get your tinned fruit much cheaper than cheaper. But I'm lazy, so we just went with coals. You can mix up the cake flavor. They also have chocolate.
Speaker 5: Love that.
Speaker 2: Are you rich and you're buying tinned cherries cherry chocolate muffins, Oh my gosh, exacolate chips. Yeah, you could do chocolate chips. You could do anything. This magic cake mix is exactly that. It is magic. I love that. I love it. Ninety cents every muffin is about fifty cents each, just under under cents each under and that's a good snack. Yeah, it's a very good you could have a picnic guys with your friends and you could say ring dessert three dollars. There you go, money win.
Speaker 4: That is the money win.
Speaker 2: I've got another recipe. I'll share it with you later. I'm not telling you about it on the podcast because I'm going to make it. It's going to make you try it first, and then you can tell me if it's good or not. So you for taste expensive yeah, and then you can guess the cost and if it's good, we will share it on the podcast again. As you know, Victoria's recipe tips new segment, which are also Bex broke tips that she steals from Victoria.
Speaker 5: I love that.
Speaker 2: I love that idea economy exact.
Speaker 5: My next broke tip, I'm going to tell you about a broke tip from Paula, who has sent me through this really amazing group, the food Bank. Basically, if you are without food and you have absolutely no money, or even if you just don't have enough to be paying for food and something else rent happen, whatever life happens, you can find your nearest food bank at www dot foodbank dot org dot au. So you're just chuck in your postcode or your suburb and you'll find the nearest food bank to you.
Speaker 2: How good. That is really good.
Speaker 5: And I was going to piggyback off of that one for my own broke tip. If you are in Brunswick or in Melbourne, there are so many free food pantries around. One is that's really wholesome? Yeah, one one Annie boorit. I don't think it's there anymore, but there was a free food pantry there for a while. And you won't just get your standard bloody beans and whatever you you'll get, not that's just stuff. You get anything that you want. People just leave stuff there, you know.
Speaker 2: I love that. So giving back, especially in that way is just it's so nice. It's so nice.
Speaker 5: So I would recommend, you know, if you don't have the money to afford food, go try and find a free food pantry, and if you do have the money, just go around and pop something in the in the pantry if you have time, if you have capacity, I'd be really lovely. You're helping out so many people.
Speaker 2: I've had a few messages actually from people who are struggling at the moment. And you know, obviously my dms are open and I love having these conversations, but I've recommended the food bank a couple of times to a few people in our community, and they might respond with things like, oh, it's too embarrassing. It's this is not babe, It's a season of life. It is what it is. Like, we are so lucky to live in a world where a service like that exists. Use it, Please use it, and feel bad about using it, feel empowered about using it. Like it's helping you get ahead. And it's kind of like, you know, people giving you a bit of a piggyback up because if you don't have anything, it's going to mean that you can put food on the table and you can provide and you can do what you need to do. But also it means that you can channel that money to somewhere else that might need it. Maybe you need to pay your rent or your electricity or your bills or something, and it's going to help you stay out of debt and be in the best possible position. So I just am all about it, like, if you need help, just ask for the help, put your hand up. There's absolutely no shame in it, because I do genuinely believe that what goes around in life comes around, and if you know you're using that service today and you're feeling really guilty about it. Reframe it, be like, cool, I'm going to use it today while I'm in this season of my life, and then one day when I have some extra cash, I'm going to be the person that puts some food into that food bank so that somebody else who was in my position feels just as empowered as I did. And I just think it's it's honestly such a beautiful sentiment, and it is what it is at the end of the days. Absolutely no shame. Please use it if you need to, though well, usually it exists for you.
Speaker 5: Literally exists for people who need it.
Speaker 2: Usually, and I feel like sometimes people say things like, oh, but I'm not as bad as other people. Sit down. If you need it, you need it. We're not comparing our circumstances. Like I could just go on about this all day, but we will not.
Speaker 4: And if you do find yourself in a good position, if you maybe do have a couple of dollars to spare for you know, those extra cans of Audi fruits or coals, the ninety cent cake mix. If you're in the position where you're on the other end of the spectrum. You can donate to the food bank, you can eat that donate physical food products. I really like when Coals has the two for one sometimes it's so good one for me, one for the food bank, and you're not paying any extra. It works out the same. But you can do a little bit of good. Or you can donate our money as well. If there isn't one mearu so gene same website that they're cried out before. It's just a nice little circle of give and take and we're all here to help each other. Really perfect love beck.
Speaker 2: Is that all for broke tips? That's all for broke tips this week? Oh my gosh, I love them. You stole them all from everybody else. Have a little genius. All right, let's go to a really quick break because on the flip side, we're going to be talking about demystifying some investment terms, and we're going to be talking about whether you should disclose you only flans to your boss or not. Jess, got something you want to talk about.
Speaker 4: Oh, I'm gonna have to come back after the break to find out. Welcome back, everybody. Let's jump into this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 6: Hi, she's on the money. I have an investing question for you guys. So I've recently started investing in the ASX on an online brokerage platform, and I have a question about something on there. So I don't know what it means by having an expiry date or choosing an expiry date, or what good till canceled means. It's all very confusing to me. I don't know what happens if you pass the expiry date, and everything that I seem to find online is just confusing me. More so, I would love for someone to explain this to me in a simple way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you so much. This is a really good question because it's not commonly asked or spoken about. But essentially, when she says good till care anseled or good till expiry, it's not actually an investment. So what happens is Jess, let's say, has downloaded a new brokerage platform, and that brokerage platform enables you to put a tracker on a particular share. So Jess might go, I really want to buy a bank share the Bank of Victoria. We spoke about that the other day on the podcast. Really want to buy shares in the Bank of Victoria Right now, they're a bit overpriced though, you know, the market's talking about them, so you know they're sixty bucks a share. But Jess, she only wants to pay fifty five dollars to share. So she puts in what's called an order, and an order is for your investment platform to buy those shares if they get to her set price. So say overnight, Jess, you know, hasn't been checking her investment platform. Once the share market opens, she's at work, she hasn't really thought about her investments. Again, what happens is the share market, you know, goes down a little bit and those shares are now the fifty five dollar market that Jess said, you know what, I would purchase ten shares at fifty five dollars if that was the price, but if it doesn't get down to that, I don't want to buy them. So what would happen is she would put her order in and her platform would track that and try and make sure that, you know, Jess's order gets in. They want the order to go in because they will be charging jess brokerage if that order goes through, so they make money if Jess gets that for fifty five dollars. Jess will be very happy because she got the shares at the price that she wanted to pay, and everyone's very excited. Unlike usual commands though, and unlike you know, actually facilitating a transaction, when Jess puts in a little marker and says they really want to buy it fifty five dollars, there's usually an expiry date on that offer. Jess says, they really want to buy that, and then the transaction platform or the brokerage platform says, you know where is Jess. We'll keep an eye on that for the next sixty days, and that sixty day mark will mean that either the order is executed so she buys the shares, or it's canceled, and she'll probably get an email saying, hey, your order couldn't be fulfilled at that price market, which points will reassessed and say, oh, it's been two months. The market's either doing really well and it might not drop down to that fifty five dollar market that I really want to buy the shares at, or I'm just gonna put the same ordering again because I'm willing to wait and I really want my shares for fifty five bucks. So it's usually just a trading term that means all right, well you've ordered something, they kind of just give you a refund and say, don't worry about it. At the end of sixty days. Typically it's sixty days, but essentially that's the expiry date, or it's until canceled. So the expiry date will be the date that your order gets canceled because they couldn't fulfill it for that fifty five dollars. Obviously lots of different circumstances, but does that make sense?
Speaker 4: Does till canceled also mean if I've placed that order for six days and I go.
Speaker 2: Oh, actually, I don't want to buy that anymore, be.
Speaker 4: Unrealistic of me? Yeah too, chan the price, I can cancel it and that would fall under the tool canceled as well.
Speaker 2: Ye yeah, So at expiry they will cancel your transaction or you could cancel it earlier. But that's essentially what it means. It's when you are trading on the ASX, which is the Australian Stock Exchange. Every country has their own or most countries have their own stock exchange, and the ASX is just the Australian version of that. You can access that through any of the Australian share trading platforms that you currently have access to. Some of them won't do orders, and that's okay, some of them will. It's just something that you know, if you're an investor and you're looking for something at a particular price, you can put in an order and say I want this. It also means that you can put in orders outside of standard trading hours. So here in Australia, the share market's actually only open from ten to four every day, so you might you know, Jess has full time job, Jess, you are trading at night, so you might go online and say, oh, I really want to buy shares in the Bank of Victoria, but the AX the Australian share market actually doesn't open until ten am tomorrow. I'm going to put in an order with my platform, and Jess might go in and order those ten shares, say I really want to order those ten shares, and then she'd tick a box to say yes at that price, and then she'd submit that order and the platform would usually then send her an email and say your order's been confirmed. Like I said, she's put the order in, it hasn't been processed yet. Then when the market opens at ten am, whatever stock broker she's going through will place that order and then she'll get an email to say that order has successfully gone through. So it's kind of just like her doing a click and collect so the shares.
Speaker 4: That's so cute.
Speaker 2: I guess that was a pretty simple one this week that didn't require a lot of opinion.
Speaker 4: That's probably a good thing because I think this week's community DM might take up a little bit of time.
Speaker 2: Oh you reckon? Are you ready?
Speaker 4: I am all right.
Speaker 2: Today's DM is arguably on the spicier side because it's about a spicier site. So guys strap in because this week's community Dilemma went a little bit like this. Hey, ladies, big fan of the she's on the Money podcast and would appreciate your advice. So I have a side hustle business in OnlyFans that I work alongside my full time nine to five job. I'm really worried about my boss finding out and me losing my job, as I know they won't like this. My question is do I tell my employer or ask them if this is okay with them, or do I keep it a secret and run the risk of them finding out? And potentially firing me. Also, I should note that in my contract it states that I will not and then in brackets without the consent of the company, be engaging in any other trade, business, or occupation. Would love to know your thoughts on how I need to navigate this. Oof.
Speaker 4: There's two elements to this. There's the only fans aspect and then there's the contractual aspect about how in my mind almost I see it exactly the same way. So I think starting with the contractual obligation, because that I feel like is the foundation, and then the only fans is like an overlaid element. You've signed a contract and a one hundred percent you know. I think that people are probably expecting us to say no, like you're at your nine to five for nine to five. They don't control your life outside, which I understand and on some level agree with. However, if you have signed a contract saying I will not do this without you know, getting permission, you are bound by that.
Speaker 2: And I think we've said this sign contract. You said no, No, we haven't said it before. Jess. You and I have literally had this conversation like a month ago where we were talking about side hustles and what it meant. So no, it wasn't on the pod. It was literally a personal conversation about what you would and wouldn't disclose and you know, oh what does this mean and how does this work? And you know, oh, well, what if you did want to spiceya side hustle, be like okay, like cool, have fun with your jesses. Very committed to this idea of one day making a lot of money from selling foot pictures.
Speaker 4: If anyone wants to buy photos of my feet, I will sell them to you at a very reasonable price. Don't know how do you block the ground, but I'll just buy? Yeah, I do. But see, this is the thing.
Speaker 7: I feel like.
Speaker 2: That's it's just making money. It's a good idea. Why not Also if you have an only fans for your feet, I want your money diary one hundred like I need it. I need your money diary because it just to me, that's something that just doesn't make sense, like not trying to kink, shame or do any of those things. No, it's just one of those things I cannot comprehend. I cannot believe that people would pay you money for pictures of your feet. But my friend, I'm here for it like I get that banksis doesn't matter how went or where.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, So back to before we get to the only fans. Oh yeah, yeah, back to the contract thing. You've signed a contract, You're obliged by that contract. It doesn't matter what line of work. It is. Like if you've said a contract saying, if I signed a contract saying when I took this job, they did clause and it is a very standard clause. Is something we should say. This isn't one of those things where it's the company being sneaky. A noncompete clause is extremely common. It's in most standard contracts. It's in my contract.
Speaker 2: And so yeah, because like, can you imagine just being like, oh, I want to side hustle, which, by the way, just does have a side hustle. It does have another way of generating income outside. She's on the money, which I'm so happy for and I actually love that she has it. But if she came to me and said, oh, yeah, I'm actually going to go work for another money podcast, I'd be like, sit down, I know you are not.
Speaker 4: And that, I think is where the caveat in my mind is around additional work generally. Is I don't think your employer can unreasonably refuse like we've brought me up. My example is, you guys know, if you follow me on Instagram, I freelance in content creation for brands that has a little bit of crossover honestly with what I do, and I'm y.
Speaker 2: So careful about that and like, I really respect it. But at the same time, I'm like, Jess, get the bank. It's fine. And sometimes there's been, like you know, a client that She's on the money has that has then reached out to Jess individually, and she always I feel like, you freak out every time, and I'm always like, no, if they want to work with you individually, like of course, like yeah, to me, she's a very different content creator than She's on the money, very complimentary, Like I think that they sit side by side with the type of content and it just creates. And sometimes you'll do like your budget fashion halls or whatever, and I think that that makes perfect sense to fit into She's on the money, but it's not competition with She's on the money or from my perspective, and I feel very.
Speaker 4: Thankful for that. But I think not all employees are as lucky as I am that they have an employer who has that perspective, and it is their right ultimately if they feel like whatever you're doing outside of work, if for whatever reason Victoria said, oh, like I'm a bit worried. That conflicks like it is your right as an employer to say that. And that's where that contractual obligation comes into play.
Speaker 2: Like you can't have your cake and eat it too. Like at the end of the day, you and as you said, yes, I don't actually care what you do outside of work. I think it's important to be really transparent, but it is a contractor that you signed with me as your employer to say, yeah, like I'll let you know if there's anything else that I'm doing. I mean, you're right, it is your life. It is what you do. But like this idea of well I shouldn't have to tell you, it's like, well, you signed a contract, and if you won't comfort with the contract, you shouldn't have signed it. And that's what I mean when I say you can't have your cake and eat it too, because like basically just does have her cake and eats it too and does whatever she wants outside of it. And that's great, but you know why she gets to do that because she's so transparent about the process and it doesn't impact my business. But it would make me really uncomfortable if Jess wanted to freelance for another you know, really big money podcast, if that's a thing, because I kind of be like, oh, well, you know what ipeed does she take out of my business and then give to them about the process? What you know? Vice versa, Like, you know, is she going to go and I know Jess would never, but is she going to go to work with them one day and do something and then bring it into my business? And then I'm accidentally going to look like I'm copying someone Like it's just a murky circumstance that as her employer because I pay her a job I deserve to know about. But that then lays over into the fact that she's on the money. I don't care how you make money outside of her, as long as it doesn't impact she's on the money. And that's kind of a question that means different things to different employers, Right, So if Beck turned around and said I had an only fans it's me, I'd be like, get that bank, sis, as long as the content that you're creating is completely consensual and you are happy with what you are up to. I respect that, yes, but that's not the view of a lot of other employers like Jess if she ever actually you know, she's talked about it for the last three years, so full of it. She never do it, but she's talked about this foot content because I think both of the foot she's on the floor, like whatever we want to call it. Yeah, I would support her to do that because I genuinely think that people, especially women, should be empowered to make their own decisions. And I also would never be embarrassed. I would think it was more telling of the person who quote dabbed them in. If someone came to me and said, hey, I just discovered Jess as foot fetish pious, like, I'd be like, yeah, cool. But I feel like, as her employer, I do deserve to know because I do not deserve to be blindsided by that information either. Yes, So I think that if someone came to me and said, well, did you know Jess has this, and I'd be like, yes, you better be paying if you're looking.
Speaker 4: Like free feet no free feet?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Beck, if you started, it would be like great, at least I know, like are there any accommodations I need to make as your employer, Like you know, times or changes or whatever.
Speaker 4: It is, like, what would you expect from me?
Speaker 2: And you might go nothing, be it's just in my own time, and I go okay, great, like have fun. But like most people aren't comfortable with that concept. It's shocking to me.
Speaker 5: What element I feel like this is going to be maybe different from you guys. I find it very shocking that people are offended when people have an only fans. I feel like, if your employer, if you're worried that your employe's going to fire you because you have an only fan, get the hell out of there, you know what I mean? Yeah, who cares if someone's consensually doing something, whether it's either I'm not comparing these two. I'm literally just using this is an example. But say you're a sex worker, Who cares if you want to be a sex worker, be a sex worker. It's a job, it's a job. Everything's a job, and everything is like a basically human made social norms are human maid like, like, who cares what anyone's doing?
Speaker 2: If you worry that you can get fired, get out of there. They're not the right people for you, if they're going to judge you, it says so much more about them than it doesn't really want so much. Like it's so true though, like it's this idea that it's like a secret, and I mean you might want to keep it a secret. We've actually had a couple of community members on the podcast to do money diaries before, who do do only fans? One of them who is We're able to name her because she mentioned it, Dara, She did only fans and her employer was like, so fine, what early supportive. She went to her employer and said, hey, like I do this and I want to do it on the side. I think could be really good at it, And her employee was like, yeah, see, you can have fun even on that podcast. It was probably two years ago. She you just look it up like type in She's on the Money Only Fans and it will come up in your search on your podcast platform. But even she said, like, I was a bit worried, and I'm also a bit worried about what my job looks like in the future, because she said, my job in the future might not be as accommodating as my current boss or what that looks like, and I totally get that reservation, because like I would be worried about the same thing, but obviously she's just gone gung ho and gone for it. We also had another money diarist who spoke about her only fans experience, but about wanting it to be a bit more private because she had young kids and didn't want that to be a part of the conversation she was having with her kids. And you know, she was like, I don't really want to go to the school and know that the dads are watching me knowing this information. But that ended up being really toxic for her because she got doxed and someone found it and then threatened to tell her community about it, and she clearly had to come out and be like, well, yes, I do do this, but nobody should ever be forced into sharing information about themselves. And I actually have a friend who is a sex worker and she's married to a beautiful again one of my friends who's been on the podcast, and she spoke about her experience as a sex worker, and she had somebody in her family docs her because they hadn't told their parents about it, and it was like common knowledge she was a sex worker. He had his job and a family member told his parents about it because the quote they deserved to know. It was just not information she was wanting to share, or they had decided as a family, this is just what I want to share, not not what you want to share. And so there's clearly and I mean, we know it exists. There's clearly judgment that overlays over these jobs that we all know should not exist because a job is a job.
Speaker 5: A job is a job, and it's twenty twenty three.
Speaker 2: What the hell like, Oh, your job is physical, yes, so is a construction worker, Like, oh you're a paver, you're a builder, you're a plumber. You use your body for your work. Great, so do a lot of other people like it. It doesn't matter what it looks like.
Speaker 5: And they're making these decisions today.
Speaker 2: So I do not care what you do as long as it is consensual, like that is a chosen career path for you, then you do you boo. My concern comes when you're doing something that maybe you feel forced into doing or you don't feel like you have any other options, then we need to talk. Sure, And I just it's twenty twenty three. I can't believe it still exists.
Speaker 4: Yeah, before I say this, I'm just putting a caveat on it because we've been getting behaved, we have been roastedly. We are very if you cannot tell, very sex positive. I love the only fans is a safe way for people to empower themselves and earn money.
Speaker 2: Or for it.
Speaker 4: However, the I guess the one thing I would put on the flip side of that is as much as I wholeheartedly believe in someone's right to do what they want with their body, as much as I don't think that that should have implications for your job, I am also kind of conscious that in certain industries it could be a concern for your employer, and it could be a concern. Glad you brought this up reasonable reasons. And the first example that comes to my mind is if you work with children, or if you work in a teaching space. There are all of these diff diferent regulations around you know what children exposed to. And I am in no way insinuating that if you work, if you're a sex worker, I think children, that's That's not what I'm saying it all, but it's the risk that you run when you put things on the internet. It is there for anybody to find. So if you were, for example, a teacher who had an only fans, what happens if a student finds it. There are all of these implications and liabilities that then kind of come back to your employer. And it's a bit of a tough spot in the sense of, well, there are certain parents or certain people who might really take issue with that. And while I think a lot of us are progressive enough to go, oh, like, where's the line, your employer also has a responsibility to those regulations and to those things. If you work in politics, it's something that could be weaponized. Are they putting you at risk? Is I employ you knowing that you could be docked as a part of a smear campaign? Like there are all of these I think against.
Speaker 2: Just ideas and things into consideration. And it's not because I mean I feel awful talk about them, because I feel like when we talk about them, we perpetuate this idea that there should be a thing. We actually need to talk about it because we need to break these things down and say that's actually a ridiculous concept. The idea that you'd be judged for using your body like silly, I don't know, it's very silly, so dumb, so dumb, but I think we do need to break it down and at the end of the day, like your company, like, let's pretend you're a lawyer and your boss just isn't that comfortable with the idea that their clients that are paying, you know, eight or nine hundred dollars an hour for you to be a lawyer on their certain project. They're just not comfortable that they could see that content. They don't think it's appropriate or professional, and they prefer that the people that they employ don't do that. It's well within their rights to make that decision. We talk about cultural fit, we talk about, you know, hiring the right people, technical capabilities, we talk about all of those things that just might be something that they go, I don't particularly want that, and I think that that is okay as long as it is completely transparent. I'm not saying that I think it's okay that they do that. Like I just think it's okay to have your own preferences. It's kind of like having life preferences. I would prefer someone who's open minded when I hire them. I prefer someone who is sex positive when I hire them. A lot of those things I don't learn until later. I'm not going to hire someone if I think they're closed minded. So I think it's really up to the business and what they want to do and the perception they have, because let's be honest, Like, people could judge she's on the money differently because of the people that work there, like Beck, oh my god, you wear green jumpers? Are you shitting me?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 2: White dress, Like, couldn't believe it. Like there are so many things that people could judge us on, But I would assume that from my perspective, if you want to judge us on that, you're probably not my people. So we asked our community obviously what they think. We asked our community first things. First, we said, do you have a side hustle? Twenty six percent of you said yes. That's huge, twenty six percent of our community members have a side hustle. Next, if yes, does your employer know about it? This one was a spicy response. Thirty eight percent of you said yes, and sixty two percent of you said that your employer does not know about your side hustle. Isn't that a lot? That's surprising to me? I found that very wild. But then we obviously also said, we'd love your two cents. We'd love to understand, like what you think about this and how this works. And we asked you, guys, what are your thoughts? Lots of different opinions. You shouldn't do only fans if you've got a real job, sit down and get out of our community. If that's your thought pattern, no, honest to God, just leave, see yourself out. No need to acknowledge your departure.
Speaker 3: Just off you go.
Speaker 2: Next, someone said I would tell them regardless if they fire her, then it wasn't the workplace for her, and it would be a blessing in disguise.
Speaker 5: That's a nice answer. Why are people nice?
Speaker 2: I don't know why people aren't nice? Beck, it's the Internet. I don't like till you get on TikTok. That place is scary. Yeah. Next, someone said second part, Yes, of course, tell the boss if it's in the contract. But otherwise, why can't only fans be normalized, just like open conversation about money and sex should be love. Someone else said, I think no matter what the side hustle is, if you're contracted to tell them, then you should. You would want them to honor their side of the contract. So you should do the same. I think that's important. However, if there's nothing that stipulates that you have to, then I don't think that there is any need as long as it's not impacting your ability to do your job for them or impacting them as a business ie working for a direct competitor. Yeah, I agree with that a lot. I agree, and I think it's really really important. Someone else said I would absolutely lose my job in a public hospital if I had an only fans and this person has doctor in their user name, so I'm assuming that they're a doctor in a hospital. I don't think that's fair because I also we've talked about this before, and I think it's obviously an issue that really impacts women as opposed to men. And there's this concept and you know, I've been is the word crucified, I've been like attacked attacks, probably too strong, but I've been told to pull my head in a number of times online and Jess, you and I got a comment only last feet where someone commented, Jess and I've been doing these little fit checks about our here on yeah, not on TikTok, on Instagram reels, and we're having fun with it, right we're posting it on our personal pages. And someone commented, I don't know what she's on. The money has become it's a disgrace. I've not seen any money content. What is this unfollowing? And I was kind of.
Speaker 4: Like, no money content because it's not the money page. Girl.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was like our personal pages, and we always sharing our personal interests on our personal pages, and look it. I just find it so funny that, you know, especially because I work in finance, there's this assumption that I would act one hundred percent of the time like an educated individual, and I'd be very formal and very corporate and like as an ex financial advisor. I think a lot of people have a lot of standards that they hold me to, which I think are ridiculous, because the flip side of me is I'm going to have a Barbie birthday party. I'm so excited to dress up in a blonde twig. I have ordered so many Barbie things online, so much paraphernalia. I've got some fairy wings. I really like cooking. I really like my cats. I like my dog. I like having a life outside of my workplace, where yeah, I do have to be intelligent. I do have to work and do corporate, boring things. That's fine, but there's this idea that that takes away from the fact that I'm a professional. And I think that this stretches out into this idea that you know, if a doctor did only fans and they're like some kind of let's pretend neurosurgeon, doesn't make them less of human to have an interest outside or less good at their job, or less good at their job exactly like they could be their best neurologist in the entire friggin world, and then you see them as a lesser human being because they decided to take photos of themselves naked because they're into that. Yeah, sit down like that does not change anybody's capability. And I think I see it when I'm not even creating content like that, Jess, I post pictures of my outfits and get crucified. I cannot imagine the judgment on somebody who's taking it a step further and you know, posting content that they're comfortable with. So, yeah, there's just a lot. Obviously, there were a lot of comments that said this shouldn't exist, which we agree. We agree with in Cheese on the Money because we just think you should do whatever you want. There was another comment, and I hated this. It was from someone who said, I work in HR at a professional services firm. We'd ask that you quit only fans or resigned from us. You have to make dude, which is really harsh. But I think it's open communication. Is it the crux of it?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 4: Like, as you said, Beck, it sounds like if that was the case, that place isn't the workplace for you, Like you don't want a workplace where you feel like you've got to be secretive. Do I agree that only fans should have any implication in your professional capabilities? Not at all, But I do believe that there is I guess also contractually a right that your employer has to protect their image in you know, the way that they see fit. And it's a murky line on where that sits in terms of discriminatory or not. But ultimately, if you going right back to our listeners contract, you have signed a contract and you are bound by that contract, whether or not we agree with the semantics of it, I think ultimately is neither here nor there. It's really tough, but you are obligated to disclose to them, and I would hope that they are supportive, kind, good humans who believe in the same sorts of things that we do. And if they're not essentially fit for you, yeah, you deserve somewhere that's going to champion you in the same way that That's.
Speaker 2: What I said, Yeah, one hundred percent. I just think it's it goes back to that comment that's someone made to us. They said, you signed a contract, which obviously was your sentiment, but they said you would expect your employer to hold up that side of the contract too. And I think, you know, if something changed or there was something in your contract that they were you know, a little bit in breach of you'd expect them to share that with you, and you'd be horrified if they didn't. So I think that it goes both ways. It's a two way street, like respect your employer and what they've asked of you, and you do the same thing. Like I think it's just yeah, I would be disclosing it, Let's be honest. I'd probably actually disclose it in a little bit of a sneaky way, like I think I would approach my my employer first and say, hey, I'm thinking about a side hustle. What are your thoughts and feelings like about me doing something on the side, don't know what that's going to look like yet, just to even get an idea of what they would and wouldn't accept, and then maybe open the conversation up later, because if they straight out say absolutely no, no, side hustles, no this, no, that's at the room, then you've got a little bit of wiggle room to make the decision that's right for you.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But then on the flip side, if they've said, yep, side hustles, fine, just I want you to earn money, then at least you've got a little bit of leverage in that conversation. When you finally decide to tell them what that side hustle is about, you go, no, no, you said it was okay for me to do this. Why is it this particular one? Yeah, so that they can't back down and be like, oh, we just don't want you to be not committed to your job. Sit down, sneaky shneak, back them into a corner. That's the summary.
Speaker 4: That is a great idea, big one this week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, great place to leave it, I think, But I think so stell awake, stellar topic, spicy content, I love you all. I hope you have the best weekend and we will see you on Monday for a.
Speaker 5: Money Darry Bye, Guy bye.
Speaker 7: The advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do, choose to buy a financial to read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial.
Speaker 2: Advice tailored towards your needs.
Speaker 7: Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of money. Sheper p T Y L t D A B N three two one six four nine two seven seven zero eight A F s L four five one two eight nine