Speaker 1: What does it take to make someone give up on their dream? Which straw is it that finally breaks the camel's back? For Hugh van Kylenberg, a simple but critical mistake in his calendar almost spelt the end of his company, The Resilience Project before it had truly begun. But more about that later. You might be familiar with Hugh through his work with the Resilience Project because nearly half a million school students in Australia are currently doing the Resilience Project curriculum, and about the same number of adults are doing it too. You might have also come across Hugh through his brilliant podcast The Imperfects, where he speaks to high profile people who share their struggles and imperfections. Now, given Hughes work, you're probably expecting a chat about how Hugh stays resilient, but instead we cover all sorts of other things, like how he builds a rapport super quickly with people, what the major turning points for the growth of the Resilience Project were, and how he minds his life for great stories to share with his audiences. Because Hugh really is a master storyteller. My name is doctor amanthe Immer. I'm an organizational psychologist and the founder of behavioral science consultancy Inventium, and this is how I work a show about how to help you do your best work. So Hugh had had a shocker of a morning on the day that we recorded this interview. But having a one on one chat in a studio is really nothing compared to the stadiums of several thousand people that Hugh would normally address as part of his job. So I was keen to know how does he get himself into the headspace he really needs to be in when he's just not feeling it.
Speaker 2: I've got so many stories on that. I mean, I grew up on. I mean I built the Resonience Project. It started off doing presentations in primary schools because as a primary school teacher and I thought I can do good presentations to primary school kids. That's an audience I'm used to and I know how to engage them. And so that's how it started going to primary schools and it grew so well, I was going to say so quickly. Didn't grow so quickly, but it got to a point after a few years where I was doing four or five one hour presentations a day to huge audiences, so I'd go like it was ridiculous. I just couldn't say no because I'd had two years where no one was interested that the thought of saying no to people, it just was so I'm not doing that. I'm just going to say yes to everyone. And I would say ninety percent of the presentations I did, I turned up in a mood of just I can't do this. I've just got nothing here. But there was no method or anything. I did. It is my favorite thing in the world to do. I know it's a weird thing, but public speaking is. I just love it. Ever since I was a kid at school, not very primary school it terrified me, but in secondary school I looked for opportunities to do it because I just loved it. So I think I'd often start. I'd get up on stage in front of I don't know what was the last one I did. We're so up in cans A few weeks ago we had all these schools bust into the Performing Arts Center in Cans. So it was about twenty five hundred nine to twelve year olds were coming in and it was the third one for the day. It was so hot the air conditioning had stopped working in this and it was Cannes. It was so hot, and i'd been on the phone to my wife. We'd been chatting about stuff with our kids. She was having a really rough time. She's very pregnant. And I felt so bad that I wasn't at home. I just I was so down to myself, going I shouldn't have done this. I should be at home with Penny and the kids. And as I'm on the phone, I'm watching all these kids just walking into the hall and I didn't do anything. I think it was about probably two or three minutes in. I just saw a kid who was sort of he wasn't near a fun he was kind of sitting in the middle some and I just looked at him and I remember thinking, my gosh, I don't know what this kid's story is, but he clearly needs this right now. And I kind of in my head was thinking, you're presenting for this kid, and there's two thy and five hundred kids here. Maybe he's the only one who get something out of this, but he needs this right now. And it did, but I didn't. There's nothing I did consciously to go, come on, switch on, you need to I got up there begrudgingly. To be honest, I hope that people in kens doon't hear me say this. But I was like, I can't. I don't have the energy for this. But then I saw this one kid, and you never know. There's the thing about podcasting which you probably find you never know the impact you're having. I don't think you really know. I mean there's sometimes I bum into people who say I've listened to every episode and I needed this so much in my life, and if I didn't bump to them, I would have known that. So I think sometimes it helps to remind yourself of the people who potentially you know I've I've been going back many years. I was much younger when I started it, and I did have more energy. Naturally, I'd noticed now as a forty two year old that it's it can tack it. It's a young person and game I think public speaking at that volume. But for me, I think it's just trying to identify you. I think it do you know what it is? I'm just I'm stumbling around my answer a bit here, but I think it's I think it's coming back to your why, like why you're doing it, because for me, my why is to help people to feel happier. And I think, no matter how exhausted I am or whatever day I've had, I'm very connected with my why, like why I'm doing this? And I think I didn't think to myself, come on to you, what's your why? Why are you doing this? But I saw a kid who looked like they just needed it so desperately. There was a ten year old who had tears streaming down their face, you know, like and that's a big thing for a ten year old to do in front of all their peers. And I just remember thinking that, kids, why I'm here today? Like that that's, you know, that got me through that presentation. So I guess it's a strong connection with you why.
Speaker 1: I think it's interesting what you say about your why, and that really shines through in your work that I've seen of your work, that you are very connected to it. And I feel connected to my why. But I still have many moments and days and engagements where I'll be doing speaking or something that requires me to be in a certain state and I'll just be so in my own head and focused on me and not on the audience. So practically speaking, how how do you stay in touch with your why when you know mentally you're struggling.
Speaker 2: That's such a good question. I think sometimes I have to be honest. I don't always do it. I had a corporate presentation for a group of people I won't say where they're from, but before that, so I got there at six in the morning because they were finishing night shift and they'd been working since ten at night and they were a group of tradees. And one of them said to me as I was about to start, he said, hells this go for mate, And I said it's an hour and he said, do it in half an hour, and just like walk off. Another guy walked past and said I just said, now I'm going to be sleeping through this, and other go I can't repeat the language, but another guy it was just and I just thought, I don't want to do this, like I just don't want to be here. And it was awful, Like it went for an hour, it felt like three hours for me, and there was no point where I was thinking, come on, get in touch with you. Why, why are you doing this? You're trying to help someone. I just I'm sure there were people there who In fact, I know there were people there who needed it and by the end we're benefiting from it. But I was just thinking the whole time, I just don't want to do this. So there are times, and I don't want to make it sound like every time I get up and perform it's like I'm in touch with my whye no matter what, I can get through this. There are times when I really struggle as well. There's a thing I do I've noticed a lot, which again it's it's a subconscious thing. I never deliberately sat down and went this is a good thing to do. But before I present, I'll often watch the people come in, and I'll watch their body language, and I'll try and identify people that I think are going to really enjoy it or really need it and really benefit from it, and I sort of focus on them because it's very easy to focus on people. I mean, I don't know how relatable this is for people who don't present, but you'll see some people come in and you can tell from the start they just don't want to be that event. This is this is what work, you know, corporate stuff. They've been told they have to do it, and you can see them their body language and and just going what is this about? And while am I listening to this guy? Why am I going to listen to this guy? But then you can also see people walk in who who you just know desperately need it, and so I will focus on them before I get up, and I just think this is fair. Yeah, I think I often in my head, I'm almost like dedicating it to a group of people in the audience that I know will need it. I mean it's a little bit different when I'm doing the big sort of shows around the country. I can't see anyone, It's like, but everyone's bought tickets to that, so I'm assuming they want to be there. So I'm pretty happy that I feel like over that. But I think it's I think it's just I'll identify people that really need it. I guess, well, I think need it.
Speaker 1: You're really great at storytelling, and I can imagine from the type of work that you do there are probably stories that you've told hundreds of hundreds of times, and I imagine when you're creating new keynote speaking or show material, there's a lot of pressure, I think, you know, to create you great stories that are going to have an equal amount of impact in some way. What's your process for crafting a story and you know, thinking about the key moments.
Speaker 2: It's a lovely point you bring up. I think a really important thing for anyone who presents as part of their job, whether it's you know, you're doing PowerPoint presentations at work. I know from doing this for you know, three or four a day for the last ten years. Not every day Monday to Friday, that is, but I don't do it on the weekends. But I know from when I'm doing my presentations and my talks the point that people, so people will lean forward and they listen when you're telling stories. The second you start telling them statistics or I'll give them practical strategies, that's when they get their pen and payper and start writing, because they know they'll forget that stuff. People don't forget stories. We love stories of human beings. We love them and we listen. We don't know. No one's ever taken notes when i'm you know, no one's saying, oh, his sister got sick when he was fourteen, and then she went to hospital and then he went to India, and no one's taking notes for that. But they're taking notes. So the more stories you can put into any kind of presentation you're doing that. I just it is the most engaging part. So stories are crucial that they're just and that's what the Resilience Project is built on. It's it's storytelling. That that's all it is. We're just story after story after story. This is going to sound really strange. I don't and I know this is an unusual way to do it. I don't really have When something happens to me, I'll go and talk My wife and I have the exact same sense of humor, and so I'll go and tell my wife the story of what happened during the day. When something happens with my with my phone, I've got a section which it says talks podcasts and books, And if something happens, I'll just what's a good example. I'm putting myself on the spot here. Well, that's right. So yesterday when I went to get petrol, the guy next to me, so the guy behind me, as someone else if I could fill up their petrol tank whle they went and did some shopping in the and I was like, does it go serious? And he said, mate, I've got someone I actual He said, can you fill up my tank while I'm just and the guy's like, he's serious anyway, Yeah, can you just anyway? I guess. So somehow got this guy to fill up his petrol tank while he went in to the shopping. Now that may not feature in anything I do, podcast, book, or but I think every single day stuff we all see stuff that happens that he's either funny or interesting or weird or emotional or moving or I was on the way to work the other day and I there was a guy on Alexander Parade in Melbourne, which is five lanes, and so that's it's a pretty common place where people will wash your windscreen. Money for wash your windscreen four money is what I meant to say. And this guy was walking down the middle and everyone was saying no to him, and I was I felt really bad, but I didn't have any coins, so I didn't want hm to say no. I want to tell him why. So I wound the window down and I said, and I said, sorry matter, I haven't haven't. I haven't actually got any coins on me, and he didn't hear me, so he came right over to me. He said, so it was that, and his head was pretty much almost like it was right at the window and the window was down, and I, for some reason I wanted to prove I didn't have coins. So I lifted up the center console. I said, look, I don't have any coins. I lifted it up, and sitting on top of all the pile stuff was a twenty dollars note. And he looked at it and I looked at it, and we said I looked at each other. It was this really awkward thing, and I was like, I guess I don't need this twenty dollars, and so I gave it to him. But the second the second I gave it to him, tears just streaming down his face. And he said, I will wash your windscreen twice. I said no, once, it's fine. He said I will wash it and so anyway, he washed it thoroughly and then he is I said that's enough, mane, I'll do it again. And he went around the other side of the car and he covered it in so and then the lights went green. Every I started to beat me. So I had to drive off with soap like my wish. I couldn't see where it's gone anyway, I just I remember when I when I got home, I'd sort of wrote that in my phone under talks. I put it in I think potentially talks. Now. It may never pop up in a talk, but I look over it every couple of weeks. I look over the stories I've put in there, or they're just under the headings, and just think, where could this work in the podcast setting for the Imperfect? Could it work at a talk? Could it work with my next book? I don't really know, but I just have them there and I just think about them. I tell Penny this and I sort of gauge her reaction to see how she responds, because she's very honest. And then if Penny laughs a lot, what happens is they go into this part of my brain where this is such a weird analogy. But for people who've been to London before, you will know. If you're anywhere near sort of Heathrow, planes will circle, They go around and circle, and then they're called in to land, and every I think it's every minute and a half. I went to England to play cricket and I remember playing a ground near near Heathrow, and for the whole day it was like I said, yeah, every ninety seconds a plane will land, But you can see them circling London on a clear day and they land. That's how I feel like when I'm on stage. I have all these stories just circling, and when it's appropriate, I'll bring one of them into bring one of them into Land. And I don't know which stories I'm going to tell. I never know. It's just looking at the audience or trying to feel what the audience is into. I've got three or four standard stories that I'll always open with, and they're all very different stories, and I'll which story resonates the most with the audience. And then let's say it's a story about a guy. When I was doing a guy. When I was doing a I was doing his Zoom presentation once and a guy tried to write a message to his mate in the Zoom prison, but he accidentally had it on public. There was four hundred traders in this presentation. The guy said, hey, johno, who does this poke remind you of? And we also know went oh shit, my look alikes are never good. And I tried to move it so I couldn't see Jono's answer, but John Ooh was really quick, and Jho wrote, this guy is a dead ringer for Steve Bashemi. I don't know if you know Steve A. Shemi, but he's famous for playing ugly people, and that's his role. That's what it says on Wikipedia. Yeah, villains and ugly people. That's his role. So anyway, I saw that that's one of my opening stories, and I will if that gets a really good response. I've got a whole lot of self deprecating stories that I think this audience will like, there's a story about my sister's mental illness. And if that seems to get like because there's this there's this noise people make when they respond to it, it's like this, oh, when they're really feeling that part of the story, the heart break of that story, my sister's mental illness. If I feel like that's really resonated with that group, I've got a whole lot of stories that a lot, a lot deeper than a Steve mashem you look alike, you know. And I just have these stories that are I've written them down, I've tom of the penny and if they pass a penny test, then they're in my brain somewhere and I'll bring him in to land at the right time. I guess now, that's not a very reliable example, so I wouldn't recommend people do that. I've just had again to use a flying reference, which I've never done ever before. But I've had that many flying hours of being up on stage presenting, you know, And I learned with kids, which is which is the toughest, the toughest audience you'll ever have. So it works with kids, and now I can do that with adult it's a bit better. I'm giving you a long answers today.
Speaker 1: Hon Gosh, that's amazing though, So you're not necessarily following a script from beginning to end.
Speaker 2: I never never, I grew up watching I grew up watching Billy Connolly, the Scottish comedian who Mum and dad were obsessed with him, and I realized they used him as a way of I mean, with so much pain and heartache in my family, with my sister's mental illness when she was really see in and out of hospital, and the one thing that would make Mum and dad smile was Billy Connolly. We had these video cassettes and Mum and Dad woud stick him in probably once or twice a week, and would sit on the couch and I would watch him, and then I've watched Mom and Dad and think, how is this possible? They were in tears like an hour ago, now they're in tears are laughter. This guy's unbelievable, and his format was very He would get on stage and he just tells story after story after story, and he often will get lost and say what was I talking about? And they'll say, like, don't why am I telling you this story? And They're just things that pop into his head. So I grew up on that, and I think, you know, from a psychologists point of view, I just always wanted Mum and Dad to feel happy. So I think I've mimicked his style because I just saw what he did for Mum and Dad, and I as a big fan of his. I love how when I go to his shows, I think I don't know what he's going to say. He doesn't know what he's going to say. So this is a unique experience, and so I've tried to mimic that it's not overly relateable. I wouldn't recommend people get out there and go, well, let's see what stories are. I've done it for many years with because when I started with primary school kids, I was this story, then this story, then this story, and I use photos as my people go how do you remember all that stuff? I use photos in the background, the photos of my prompts to get me through. There's like there's a vague structure, but yeah, it's for people who are going to spend time presenting. I'd recommend when something happens to throughout. I mean, every day something has you. It's you go home and you tell your partner about something that happened. If it stands out as something that was you know, could could somehow relate to what you talk about, or what you're presenting about, or your work or what you're interested in, just write it down the note section on your phone and come back and visit every now and again. Tell a story to your partner or your housemates, or tell it to your friends and see how it goes, and you'll get better at telling it. You'll get better at telling it.
Speaker 1: I want to talk about the imperfect your podcast, and I was saying to you before we started recording. I've known of it for a while, but I only first listened to it a couple of months ago, which treated me to reach out because I've just become obsessed with it. I think it's so I'm going through the back catalog, so I'm not actually up to date with the most recent releases. I highly recommend it though. And one of the things I've heard you say which I found really unusual because I don't have this as an approach. Granted, topics are really different. Like you're talking to your guests about really personal personal moments, moments where they're they're sharing things that you know, I guess you know, are quite vulnerable, quite exposing for them things they probably haven't talked about in many or any other places. I would imagine in the work that they do. Where does I talk about work and productivity? Let's less personal. But you said that you will always meet up with a guest that you don't know for a coffee before I can you tell me about that and that that initial coffee where you are I guess building that trust and report.
Speaker 2: I can give you a great example from yesterday. So I caught up yesterday with Libby Trickett, the full time gold medal swimming legend, and so she came down from Brisbane, and I feel like with the stuff we talk about, you know, I'm asking Libby to broadcast to a lot of people her darkest moments, in her toughest and she spoke about some really full on stuff yesterday. I feel like she needs to know that I really care. I mean, I've never met her before, but I do really care about her experience on our podcast. I do care about her and how she comes across and the whole experience for her. So I feel like an hour we had lunch, No sorry, I had lunch by myself because she came down from Brisbane and she's got three girls and she was so excited to get away from the house for the day. So she got there early, had lunch byself, sat there in this cafe and Melbourne and just had and then I turned up. She had a smoothie while I had lunch, but we talked about a whole lot of stuff that we just built. This really nice after. She's got the most beautiful smile. That's sort of what she was famous for. Was this smile. This like quintessential Aussie, you know, swim my blonde hair, this lovely smile. It's it's such as I describe it. It's like a very there's a word I'm trying to think of. But I've had four and a half hour sleep last night, come to me during this podcast and coming.
Speaker 1: Down, I'll just drop the.
Speaker 2: Word in disarming, disarming. There you go. It's just this like but anyway, in that hour, I felt like we built this really nice rapport that when we went and sat down and recorded and I asked her about the darkest moments of pairing and her parenting and her postoninal depression, it wasn't like I was doing it for content. We had an hour, It's not a huge amount of time, but there was an hour of like, I get a feel for what this person's like. He's not doing this to have great content. He's doing this because he wants other people to hear this story, because it will help other people. And I think people don't sort of care, I said, old saying, but as a teacher, always been friend of mine met people don't care what you know until they know that you care. And I feel like I'm always trying to you know. The first one I ever did it was Missy Higgins and caught up with Missy Higgins, and I was so nervous because just such a huge Missy Higgins fan. But I was I remember going there, going I just wanted to know that I'm not trying to get a story. I'm not trying to find I don't want to be a clickbait type interview. I don't. I just wanted to know that this is coming from a very genuine place and it's a safe place for her. So and then when we caught up, it was the first interview I've ever done in my life. I just remember during the interview thinking, oh, my gosh, I'm so glad we caught up beforehand, because I would feel I would feel a bit uncomfortable. She was sharing the stuff around her anxiety and her depression just without like completely cold, never met before. So I felt like, I do feel like it's it's when you're having conversations like that, it's nice to have.
Speaker 1: That what are you doing though practically to elicit that that comfort? Oh great question those people have with you. And it's funny because like I would just sort of comment because we've been in a room together now for I don't know, half an hour or something like that, and you're like you come across as a very sort of warm and open kind of person, very naturally, and I imagine that a lot of it is just simply how you are like unconscious. But if you were to unpack it practically, what are you doing?
Speaker 2: Okay, that's such a good question. I don't know. Let me I want to do yesterday with Libby. So so with Libby yesterday. I don't know. You'd have to ask her if this is a good thing to do. But I talked at her for the first fifteen minutes about how disastrously bad my last two weeks have been, so I had it as this. I went to So I had a week with the Queens and State of Origin team. I was on their camp for their build up for State of Origin one, which was a really exciting thing to do. I've been like ted Lass, so I have no idea about the sport though, so that was a bit of a strange experience. But I then went flew to Newcastle and then to Woo and Gong to do two shows. And I've had this assist on my eyelid for about a month and I keep thinking, when I have time, I'll go and see someone about it, but I just haven't had time to go and get an appointment. Anyway. I woke up having been away from home for a week. Penny had covid Elsie, my daughter had COVID. Penny was eight months pregnant, and I wasn't overly popular fair enough for not being at home, and I said I'll be home in a few days. Of a few days, and I woke up in Sydney having done a Newcastle Sorry the wool Ongoing show the night before, and I couldn't open my eye. It was stuck closed. I couldn't open it. I said, what is going I literally was trying to prize it open and I couldn't open it. I remember thinking, I think this is bad and live Nation on my touring that that look after me when I'm on tour, and they have got this rock doctor who just like he just he I didn't eve need to have appoint with it. I took a photo of it like me trying mine and send it to him And next minute I've got an appointment with an eye specialist. Turned up with his eye specialist who was on the way to play golf. He'd like he was in his golf clothes and he said, I'm really sorry. I'm going to have to give you four of the most painful injections you'll ever have in your life into your eyeland. Oh my god, I'm not great with pain. And I just my hands started shaking straight away, and he said, and then I'm going to now you might have edit this out. I don't know, just in case we heads up. If they haven't edited this out, and you're squirmish, squirmish is that a word? Squamish? Squirmish? If you squirmish, don't listen to this. He said, Then I'm going to turn your eelid inside out, clamp it. I'm going to get a I'm going to get a scalpel, and I'm going to cut all the way along inside of your eyelid and scrape everything out fromhim. So, because all your glands are blocked up, I'm going to scrape out your glands. And I said, ah, that sounds awful, and he said it's extremely uncomfortable. And I said, I'm going to do a show tonight and he said, yeah, I don't really care. I need to get this out now. And so I went through the procedure. I had this. So the first two injections into my I remember going, oh gosh, that really hurt. And then he and I was like, that's one of them. He's a right that is one of the most and then he said, okay, so this next one coming up inside your elid, this is how this is as bad as it gets. And it was, and I was trying to look away, but it's like and he said, look, please look at the needle, please look the nets. Anyway, so why am I doing this story? So he scrapes it out and does that, and then I had an eye patch on all that afternoon. I was in so much pain. Got on just before I go on stage, I took the I took the eye patch off, blood went everywhere and as I go on stage in Newcastleven cleaned my head. I'm up on stage and I'm thinking, oh, I don't feel well. I feel quite sick, not like nauses. I felt like aches and pains and feverish. And I, for some reason my brain was like, it's because of what you went through today. You're a bit traumatized. As I'm talking, I'm like, no, I feel realistic. Got off stage, went straight back to the hotel. When wake up feeling so sick, how to fly back to Melbourne. As I'm sitting at the airport, I'm about to get the plane, I went, hang on a minute, oh, no, this could be COVID. And I hadn't thought about it because I was so traumatized. Miss I thing, and so I was like, if I do it, hang on flies but everyone's getting on the plane. I was like, I don't ever, I can't. There's no tests here. How do I do a test? Is this he responsible to get a plane here? Now I bead I'll be fine. It will not be COVID. Got on a plane, sneeze the whole way like I was wearing two masks, poor lady. I get in the car and I did a test when I got it on the way home, and I had COVID. So Penny had COVID, Elsie had COVID. I think Benji had COVID. I had COVID. We had assessments for out Sun with his all this stuff he's going through, and it was like the worst. This is a long story again, but anyway, I told Livy trigg at this story right well, soon as we got there, she said how I And I said, I've been better and I told her that story. Looking back, it's not why, but looking back on it, maybe it builds some kind of like oh, like someone's empathy or just like I'm very keen always when I meet people to I'm worried people have this persona of like, oh, he's been a successful public speaker. He's like a very confident and successful I don't that's not me. Like, I don't want people to ever think that. I don't want people to think I'm want a pedestal. Ever, I don't ever think I'm you know, I don't look at myself and go, Wow, what a successful person. I don't think that. I don't I want people to know that. And I think I'll tell people about my failure's a lot of my stuff ups and my hardships, and I think that maybe builds empathy. I don't know. But anyway, we got on really well. She shared some stories of stuff that she was struggling with. So again I'm doing to make a very long story short. I think being vulnerable with people. I'm so sorry about being vulnerable with people. That's how you do it. And I when we caught up, we talked about how hard we find parenting, the struggles of parenting. I remember catching up with I was on Travis Poke, the a for footballer, and we we I mean I actually did already know him, but we caught up just to talk about it before anyway, and it was either zooms during lockdown, but we talked about Travis ha dad had passed away and we just talked about that a lot, and I just listened. Mainly, I can't relate to that, but it's it's vulnerability is so connecting.
Speaker 1: It reminds me. I heard Tim Ferriss talk about how he starts his uh his like interviews, this is like before he hits record, and he said he'll deliberately share something that shows vulnerability to build that instant rapport with So that's that's interesting.
Speaker 2: But I think it's what I've done throughout my entire life, I think, and I don't know where I learned it, but I feel like I've always I just feel like it's just a deeply connecting thing. I've always shared way too much. Whatever's in my heart. I just share with everyone all the time. And I think that's a struggle right now with what we're going through with our son going through getting assessments done for what he's struggling with, and my wife saying this is not We're not You're not sharing this, you know, And I was like, yeah, no, you're right, this is his story one day to tell, but it's so and I so want to share it, but it's not. It's his story, so I'm not going to share it. But but I have this instinct to want to share everything. I'm finding difficult. I don't know why, but it's it's worked, especially with what we do professionally. What I do professionally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can relate to that. Something I think about quite a lot, having having been through a divorce, and there's obviously two sides to every divorce. Is I want to share it openly, but also I want to be very respectful of my x and also going you know, like one day, like Frankie has no interest in my podcast, even though I try to tell her it's amazing and it will help her at school in year three. But I always I really struggle with that because I feel like you don't hear too many people who have some kind of a platform talking about something as horrible as going through a divorce. And I feel like I've learned so many lessons, but then I'm always I'm kind of censoring myself, going what's appropriate and what's not appropriate?
Speaker 2: How do you I've child with that quite a few times I've been pulled up by a few people an awful feeling. But as a couple of examples, I would tell a story about a really well on individual who heard me speak and had their back turned to me for a lot of it. And I was sharing that story and someone came up from their workplace and said, as a sports person and said, that is someone professional you're going to invite into our workspace and you're sharing a story about and I get why you do it, but it's unprofessional. And I thought, gosh, that's so true. I used to just it was a throwaway line I just had about an ex partner of mine about it was just a joke I was making about how I used to do whatever she wanted because she was the boss and so. And someone came up to me and they didn't know my ex. But I said, I think that's really unfair. I think it's really unfair that you said that, and I was I hated that feedback, and I said, I was thinking, what an idiot. Look, it's none of their business. I don't get what the point was. It's just a joke, I'm but I stopped saying it and I realized it's because deep down I actually realized that were right and I agreed with them. And so that is a delicate one for me, and that I will. I work with a lot of sports people who'll share their stories with me, and I think I can't, thinking oh my gosh, this should help so many kids if I could share this. And early on when I was doing this stuff, I just told their stories like I just I would say, I've they're working with this person and they've been going through this. I wouldn't tell the details of it, but like a very high level version of this person struggles with depression. And then and then someone said to me once, Oh, that's so nice to them to give you permission to share that story, and I thought, oh geez, and I went, yeah, it's really nice. And I thought, nah, do you know what they never did? And I just went and said like and again, I didn't give way too much, and I think I I didn't even say the person that I said to who they played for, and that I really well known play It was almost obvious who it was. And I felt like that was me in sort of hiding your identity, but I wasn't really so I filed at that a lot, and I think, I remember I've seen a psychologist. Well, I did a lot. I haven't for a while, but I need to with the third child coming up that and I spoke to her about that at length, and I said, I'm really struggling with this. I have these great stories that I know will help people, but there are other people's stories. And she said, what you need to do is imagine that person's in the audience and how did they feel. She said, It's as simple as that. Because some of the people I can't ask for permission because I don't I won't ever see them. Agin yea someone come't to me after a talk and say, share their story, and I'll think, oh my gosh, just extraordinary, But I don't have their details to cat say, do you mind if I share that? And she said, well, just picture they were there watching you. How would they feel about it? Are they comfort with your sharing that story? And that's kind of what I've used and it's changed the way I present massively because I had a lady come up to me. That's how I opened my second book with the story. A lady came up to me after one of my shows at the Convention Center, which is a bit like twenty eight hundred people. And I was doing a book signing for my first book, and there was a lady waiting in the queue, and she had six young adults there with her and it was her turn. She said, you guys wait here, and she came up to me and she just started crying and she said, I had my last round of chemo today. And she said, I don't have long left. I don't have long left. But I brought my three kids and their partners because I want them to embrace this stuff when I'm no longer with them. Can you please sign these books and tell them how much I love them all? I was a really and I gave her really. We had a long and very silent hug. She's very frail. There wasn't much of her and her hair was literally falling out, you know in the book when I sign it, I remember and I didn't get I didn't get her details. I never she just left and I remember, I think I don't ever know her name, And it was it was such a vulnerable moment that so I felt so connected to her, and it inspired me to I was pretty good. In two thousand and nineteen, I was so exhausted at that point, but it just gave me so much energy to keep going, knowing that it reaches people like that. Anyway, I wrote that story up for my second book, and I had this long thing of like, do I I don't have a mission to share the story. It's a very moving story. Her kids might read this. I don't know if they're going to read the book is this? And I had this my psychologist that just pretend she's going to read this, she might be like, she might read it so right in a way that she would be very proud of. And so I wrote it that way. And then amazingly, six months later I got a the Resilience Project and an email of the blue from her daughter who had read it and just said, I just want to let you know very tragically, Mum passed away three months just before we book came out. We had tickets for your Large Loaves show and Gelong but we couldn't go. But thank you for sharing mum story in the way that you did. And she turns out this lady's an incredible woman, incredible She set up life surf, life saving programs for disabled kids around Australia and she was in a remarkable woman. But again, long story. But I think for me, it's about pretending those people are in the audience. And when I pretend my ex was in the audience, I went, no, she would hate this story. It's so unfair to her because I'm sure there was a reason she was like that a lot of the time. You know, I need to be I needed someone to really sort of control me. So yeah, anyway, but again long answer.
Speaker 1: We will be back with you in a moment talking about how he built the Resilience Project to having almost half a million school students doing his curriculum, and we will dig into what some of the major turning points were on that path to growth. If you're looking for more tips to improve the way that you work, I write a short fortnightly newsletter that contains three cool things that I've discovered that helped me work better, ranging from software and gadgets that I'm loving through the interesting research findings. You can sign up for that at Howiwork dot com. That's how I Work dot co. I want to talk about the Resilience Project, which is your business, and you were saying before, you've got four hundred and fifty thousand students across Australia doing the Resilience Project curriculum, and then you've probably got an equal sized number of people working in corporates doing the curriculum. And you started the business. Was it twelve or thirteen years ago?
Speaker 2: It's hard to answer the question because I didn't even so I have no idea about business. I have absolutely no idea. I'm the least business he type person to ever come across, so I really have no idea. But so when I started a business, I didn't even know that's what I was doing. I said, I want to stop teaching and I'm going to go and do talks at schools. And people say, you're doing your own business. I go, I know I'm doing that. I'm doing talks at schools. I didn't even get I didn't even know how to get an ABN. I didn't understand that. I didn't so very steep learning curve. But I you're sorry, I interrupted while you're asking the question. So what year was that? What year did you start?
Speaker 1: Not a business?
Speaker 2: Two eleven was my Yeah, twenty eleven I started turning up to schools and trying to do talks basically and talking.
Speaker 1: Okay, So eleven years ago. I'm so impressed, having heard of the Resilience Project and having read about the work that you do, that you've grown to the scale that you have with a relatively small team over a relatively short period of time. And I'd love to know what were what were the major turning points or tipping points that you can kind of attribute back to doing something that got to the next step for lack of growth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I think a lot of people look at it and think, gosh, it's just this huge overnight success. It's just massive, and it's everywhere. But the first three years were lonely, really lonely, and there was quite a few times I tried to get out and tried to applied for jobs elsewhere because I was just I hated how lonely it was just me, and there were so many no's and not many yeses, and it was just so many setbacks after setback and stuffed up so many times. I remember there's one point where I was thinking, I'm pretty much done. I've been a year and a half and I only had five schools booked for the year, and it was just literally five presentations for the sitting around at home in this like tiny bedroom in viz Roy, I can't afford rent, and I'm just think, what on earth am I doing. I was doing a lot of emergency teaching to try and pawer bills, which is any emergency teachers listening. It's a horrible existence, it really is. And so I was quite down. But the biggest school in Victoria, Hallibrey College, said would you come and speak to all our year twelves. I said, We've got three different campuses and you know this goes well, we might roll out to other year levels. Huge opportunity, and I booked it in and I spent the whole week preparing it, and I was so excited about it, and I was thinking, this is I was doing all these things I've like, come with the hour, come of it. You know this will be my moment, like, oh well, this will be the moment that I look back on and go. I really made it work from this day on, and Halo Re signed on and all the other schools did. And I remember sitting in my bedroom at my desk, pretending I didn't know much to do at this point. But the day before the talk and I got a phone call from this guy is named Nick, I'll never forget him. And the second I answered the phone, I knew it was bad because I could hear hundreds of kids' voices in the background. And he said, okay, he just wanted you far off. We're just how far away are you? And I said I'm sorry, as in for the presentation. He said yeah, And I said so I was in tomorrow. We're good for tomorrow and he laughed and said, no, it's erously how far off you? And I said, I've got in my calm. I'm not joking. I've got my counts tomorrow. And he said, you are effing kidding me. And he said, I've got three canvases bussed to a location here. You telling me you're not coming And I said I can be there in and I could get there in an hour. And he said the bus is leaving it now, mate, And he said, that's right. I don't work what to do with fifteen hundred kids. Thanks mate, and you hung up. And I'd never felt so sick in my entire life. It is the worst. And I was just and I looked in the emails and he was right and stuffed up. That was with my mistake completely. And then amazingly. He called me. He's got Nick called me, and that was Nick. Franny called me later that night to just say, look, it's fine, we got by. We're not gonna be able to reschedule it, obviously, but but but we did. It's okay, thank you anyway, and I'm sorry to He was really really lovely guy. He was very forgiving, and I just oh, I was so down, and I just thought, well, that's it. If I can't even book in the right day, this is not for me. And so then I tried to find other jobs, but couldn't even get another job at the point and at that time, and so things like that happened. But that prompted me to find to straatewa, go, I need someone to organize me because this is not only got four bloody talks for you, and I couldn't even turn up to one of them. So as soon as I could afford it, I found a PA person or like, they're very hard to find, really good admin people. But I've take me a long time. I've got the best in the world now in Sarah. But all the way along, what kept giv me going was that I loved when I was up in front of people presenting, and I knew that it was. There's a lot of things in the world. I'm not good, so many things I'm not good at, but I know that I'm that I can do. And whenever I did it, I've got this feeling of like, these people love this. It's going to work. It's going to work. I again, I was still three years in thinking this is probably not going to work. And I was outside of school about to go in and do emergency teaching. And I've been up since five in the morning waiting for the phone for the ring to say, this is the school you're going to, And I'm sitting out of school that I hated going to. I just hated it. I had that feeling like when I was a kid not wanting to go to school. It was like that in the car going and you get paid two hundred and fifty dollars for the day to work so unbelievably hard an emergency teacher. And as I'm I was just about to turn my phone off my phone rang I was literally getting it open to turn off, and this lady ring, she said, Hi, I don't know what you talk about. I'm at a conference in Ararat I've got five principles here the keynotes spare gus and turned up. My friend gave me a number. Could you be here within an hour? And I said I can better an hour and a half and she said no way. And I went into the school and said, sorry, I can't make it today even though I'm here right now. And they said you are never welcome back again. And I said, that's fairy. I totally understand that, but I need to do this. And I went to this and I went to this conference and I was fifty principles and I got up there and thought, well, this is it, like this is this is quite literally make or break for me. This doesn't work. I'm never going to this will never work. And it was. I had my phone in my back pocket and it was buzzing the whole way through, and it was people sending me emails from the audience booking in for me to come and speak at the school. And we booked in forty eight out of the fifty schools. In the next In the next week, forty eight out of fifty Principles booked their schools in. So then from a school point of view, it was on and it was it was hectic, and it was very stressful and it was all of a sudden, but I wasn't going to complain because I had this other problem, which was I'm too busy all of a sudden. Three years in and then about probably two years later, I remember a guy I was at cricket when I was playing cricket and a guy I come up to me and he was my one of the dads from from the team I'm playing, and he introduced himself and he's a lovely guy and he said I was Brian feeling where that's what I did, And I said, I trained people in resilience. He said you should come to a workplace and I'd love it. And I said, I it's not really for adults, it's for kids. I said where you work and he said, oh, the Melbourne Storm And I thought he meant the staff there, and he said, no, no, the players. I said, oh, I don't watch rugby league. I'm an AFL person and he said it doesn't matter. And I said, I'm not really sure this is going to work. And he said, well, if it doesn't work, it doesn't work, just try it at least. And I remember getting there about a week later and I'm the biggest men I've ever seen in my entire life turn up and they sit there in five minutes in Billy slide up, who's one of the grast pies of all time. Stopped me. He said, mate, this is fucking amazing. Keep going And I said I wasn't going to stop, but they getting itay, And I remember that point going, this is interesting, like these boys are loving this. And the next week I went back. They said come back next week to another presentation and the head of well being for the NRL was there and he was in the background I didn't know who was introduced himself at the end and he said, can you do this at every single club? I want a talk for all the staff, all the players, the under twenties on the right ends under sixties so and all the partners. Only five percent of six presentations at every club in the next six months, can you do it? That was a turning point. That's where all of a sudden it became elite. S board is five percent of what I do, but it's one hundred percent of the publicity that I get. So you know, the start of I did hundreds of interviews about state of origin and it's a week of my year. That's it. So that was a big turning point. And then when I have enough. What I found was whenever I all of a sudden, I went from having no money to all of a sudden's a feud bit of money in the business account, and I thought, wow, this is good, this is I need this. I haven't earned money in a couple of years. And it was instant because I don't have a business brain, but I thought, I think I need to put this back into the business to take the next step. And that's why I started employing people. And I always thought to myself, get people who heaps better than you, like just and not having an ego. It was like putting parking your ego. I found a CEO whose name is ben Wardman, and he's extraordin and his I mean I basically gave the control over to him. I said, do what do what you other it to you? You run this business, told me where to go and talk. I'll go and talk there. Call me when you want support with stuff, but this is your business effectively, and I handed over to him because he's much better at running businesses than I am. And he's done and he's the reason that when COVID happened, we didn't struggle. We actually went to the whole new level because we were such a diverse business that all we could We had digital presentations for schools, we had journals, we had you know, because when he started, he said, it's if you get sick, we don't have a business, so we need to diversify. And I'd never thought of that. I just thought, I'll never get sick. What are you talking about? And there'll never be a situation where I can't just turn up and present to people, and I'll never be too tired from doing that. But he diversified us. I've got another speaker who's much better presenter than I am for kids. He's just extraordinary. Na's Martin Hepple. So I think not having an ego is I mean, we've all got an ego, sorry, but being able to park your ego and just hand over control. I think a lot of people struggle with that when it's their own thing. But I just the second I'll hand that I've been going and it'll be different, It'll look different to what you probably deep down feel like it should, and we disagree better and I disagree on a lot of stuff all the time. But I heard the episode you had with was it David Siegel? He was saying how important that is that you disagree, and it was interesting listening to actual. I was thinking, Yeah, that is one of our strengths. We disagree, and often we find this middle ground, which is probably the best place to be, you know, the best place to come to, rather than it being strongly based a decision based on what my gut feelers, what his gut feelers, you know. So again, there's a long answer, but I think the turning points for me have been those little key moments where all of a sudden I've opened up to a different audience. But also when I've found people who are much better at may at certain things. I mean, the finance person, my gosh, Helen, their accountant, I mean, I don't know, I have any idea about this stuff, and I just completely trust her to do it all and she's unbelievable. And yeah, So just just finding people who are better than you basically and letting them go and giving them full autonomy to do their job, controlling them. I think that's an ego thing I really do. If you're going to expand your business. It's going to look a bit different. It just will, and it's going to feel different. And it may not have your Dean I will have your DNA al over it, but it's going to start to present publicly a little bit differently at some point. And that's if you want to grow. That's just going to happen. So find good people that you trust and give them control, give them autonomy, and let them go for it. And that's been really powerful for me.
Speaker 1: I was saying before we started recording, I'm a little bit obsessed with forming friendships as an adult, and friendship is something that I take very, very seriously. And I've even developed frameworks in my own personal life that are very geeky about how I categorize friendships.
Speaker 2: Which which helps me awesome.
Speaker 1: It's awesome, It's very geeky for a lot of it. It helps me make sure I'm investing enough time in the friendships that matter, which I think can be easy to let slip when you're a parent, you know you're working, you've got other stuff going on.
Speaker 2: Totally.
Speaker 1: I've loved the episodes of The Imperfect where you've talked about male friendship, which I find comes up as a bit of a theme in some of.
Speaker 2: Your absolutely does.
Speaker 1: Yeah again, I'm sure this happens very naturally for you, although you do talk about the awkwardness as well of forming new friendships, particularly with men. I feel like maybe it happens more easily for women forming new friendships with women. But if you were to unpack it, like what were the deliberate things that you were doing with some of the newer friendships that you formed, Like with your co host Ryan, you have a lovely friendship.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we have an He's a way and I missed him last sight and said, I really miss having you around, and I miss the comfort I have of knowing I'm going to see you tomorrow nexty. I really miss that. So that's one thing, like telling people how do you feel about him? Is really powerful. I took for granted I played sport for I played cricket from the age of I could walk till I was thirty six. And when you played a sporting club, you have automatically have forty friends. You see him three times a week, you love being around me a very similar interest, and you just have those friends and then there's their partners. All of a sudden you've got like you know, when I went to England, it was an incredible experience. I went to play cricket. There was forty people at the club, half of them had partners. All of a sudden, I've got sixty friends. Amazing and I always looked out for Granted, now I don't play cricket and I yes. So it's like you now exactly what you said before. It's like, oh, if I want to make friends, there's no where, there's no place that I'm obliged to be three times a week and spend time with him getting to know them. So you actually have to make the time, which is a weird thing when you don't really have much time as an adult. So Ryan Shelton, I've always looked up to him, admired so much. I think he's one of the funniest people in Australia. And I would see him around the place because we lived used to live pretty close. And one day I went up to him and just said I he was in a cafe and I went sat way too close to him to try and make it look like but there's no one else out there like it was just so silly, and I pretended I turned and I said, oh god, I just want to let you know that. And this is true. I said, when I'm not feeling good, it's very hard for me to do. For me to do my job, I have to feel happy to do my job. And I will often sit in the car and watch your Instagram videos to cheer me up. And then, which is a true story. And I told him that, which I think is a very again in vulnerability, like it's a pretty vulnerable thing to another man, like you really have a big impact on my life, and I want to let you know that as opposed to I'm a really big fan of what you do. I guess I think that's still a vulnerable thing to do. But anyway, I was very nervous when I do. He could tell I was very nervous, and he said, oh, what do you do? And I didn't want to make it sound like I was trying to talk about myself, so I said, I'd go to schools and do talks. But anyway, I love what you do. And he said, wow, what do you talk about? And we was a five minute conversation, and I posted I took a phoight out with him, and I said to him, my wife would love it. I took a photo with you. It was for me and I put on Instagram and I tagged him out and he followed me. And I didn't hear from him for three years, and out of nowhere three years, that message out the blue and said, would you like to have coffee tomorrow? I just want to pick your brain on something. He was going through some stuff in his own life which we talked about in our podcast, which was a bit of jealous jealousy stuff around his best mate, Homish Blake, who is Australia's most popular man, and we talked about that and we just had this from It was the most vulnerable conversation I've had from the standing start in my life. Like he just sat down and I was ready to exchange pleasantries and I wasn't even gonna do my thinking of being like self deprecating and vulnerable. I was just I was just in awe of this person. And he said, I'm just struggling with this, this and this, and we talked about it and after we caught up, he gave me a hug and I'm sporting clubs is like shake the hand or a fist pump and then you go on your mate good stuff. It was a hug and I was like, gosh, that was I didn't say that coming and that was really nice. And then we're just catching up and catching up, and every conversation we had there were quite vulnerable conversations about Then I started sharing stuff, and then the podcasts come about, which is a long story which I won't today Sou've already told you enough long stories. But then what emerged the podcast is meant to be about sharing well really famous people's struggle so we can all feel like we relate, and it happens to that person that I'm okay, I'm not alone. I've had a few people message me and say what I'm taking from your podcast. It's more about friendship. And I'm watching this this because my brother's now involved in the podcast. Who's my best mate? But our friendship is Our relationship has become so much stronger. Ryan and Josh have become extremely close. Ryan and I become even closer, and it's because we just have this space where we just talk really honestly about how we're going with stuff. And if ever someone and it's it's a weird. It wasn't with the podcast, we wouldn't do it like we're sort of, which is where Ryan said to me the other day, said, I feel really sorry for people wo don't have podcasts where they can't talk openly with their friends about stuff. Because so we invited ham Spake on the podcast Who's his best friend? And we're having a conversation about self doubt and how much you're talking about how he still self doubt, And I thought, gosh, that's really interesting. But then I asked him about I asked him about how when we'd met many years back, how it was a very I tried to talk to him in a cafe and I got so nervous. I completely stuffed it up and it was so embarrassing, and he actually remembered it. And then we had through Ryan had just become friends. And Ryan said, I'm just gonna say something. I feel a little bit funny about this friendship between you two. I'm feeling weird about it because you both love cricket, you both love exercise, you messaging each other all the time about your exercise. I feel a little bit left out of this and I can't offer anything on that topic. And hamish or it straightaway said to him, like, when you have a second child, it doesn't mean you have less child less love for the first child. You find this new love. He said, no one can have my Ryan love. No one can have that human and I got something different, exercise and talk about him. There's things that I can't talk to you about that I talk to you about. And Ryan's went, it's just so true. What Ryan did, which I've learned about with friendships, is that he spoke his truth. There's this thing called truth verse harmony, which you obviously you probably know about, but if you choose. So often we choose harmony in relationships because friendship relationships, because we want it just to be harmonious. But whenever we choose harmony, there's a little bit of resentment that builds with that. When we speak our truth, there's no resentment the bills up. So the example I gave just there is that on the topic of male friendships, was that if Ryan didn't say anything every time Hamishnaber catching up or we knew we were catch up, there'd be a little bit of resentment there and we would have this sort of sour taste around our friendship. It would it just wouldn't be good for any of us. But he spoke his truth, and all of a sudden we were able to speak our truth about it, and it was gone and our friendships had gone to the next level again. I think we speak our truth a lot of the time. Were at a work disagreement the other day, the first tie we've ever had. It was Josh and Ryan versus me, and it was the most honest conversation about like how we were, like, I feel really uncomfortable with disagree because we've never disagreed before, but it was a strong disagreement we had very but it was just such a We talked about how it made us feel as well. Like Ryan said, I'm feelingly uncomfortable because it just worries me that we've got never disagreed on stuff like this, and I was like, yeah, it does worry me, but I think that like I say all the positive about like, but I trust you so much that I know it's not coming from a wrong place. And it was just really nice. So I think it's hard for men to be really honest about how we feel because growing up as kids that was not encouraged. If we're crying, don't be a girl. Grow up be a man. So we go, oh, okay, I'm not going to have those those kind of conversations all that's not a manly thing to do. But what I've learned in my forties is that the more open you are, the more vulnerable you are with other males, the more it connects you. And sport is a very vulnerable thing to do, and you have those moments through sport. They appear all the time where you're making yourself very vulnerable just by you know, being in a close contest or the stuff you're going out of football field or it's a kind of vulnerable thing to do and can be quite scary. Well what's the times And that's that it connects you. But when that's gone, what's going to connect you? And I think it's shared vulnerability. Hugh.
Speaker 1: My final question for you is for people that have listened to this chat and they're like, I need more huge in my life, what.
Speaker 2: Is the best.
Speaker 1: Be able to do that?
Speaker 2: Well, I should probably plug my talks. I've got I'm doing my show. Basically, I've got one in Adelaide, two in Perth. This is one of the remaining ones for the year. One outlaid too in Perth, Canberra, and when it's Sydney in the Opera House, I'm doing the Opera House, which is terrifying but should be good. And then five in New Zealand come out late in a year. So you can go to the Resilience Project dot com. But are you go to events? You can find them there. But if you want to a great free resource I think is the podcast. It's so cool that you can it always blows. I was listening to your podcast yesterday, just going it's pretty cool. This is free, like you get this is the stuff. It's amazing. Podcasts are incredibles such a whoever invented it, amazing invention, whoever you are. I hope you're getting a lot of money from it. You're probably not, but yeah, so and then yeah, I guess there's books as well, but yeah, if you just google, I don't know Resilience Project's there's a lot of We've tried to create a lot of products so that we can reach as many people as possible the way that people will like to be reached. I guess reach a word. Yes it is y Yes, I believe it is reached. Hugh.
Speaker 1: I've enjoyed this chat so too much has just been such a delight. I could just listen to Hugh tell stories for hours, and for me, the biggest thing I got from this.
Speaker 2: Chat is I was reminded of the power of stories.
Speaker 1: I loved how you thought about storytelling and you're really thought about collecting stories from his day and how he thinks about sharing those with the people that he connects with. And for me, I've definitely started being more diligent and just mindful of the things that happened to me in my day that might be worth sharing. How I Work is produced by Inventing with production support from Dead Set Studios. The producer for this episode was Liam Riordan, and thank you to Matt Nimba, who does the audio mix for every episode and makes everything sounds so much better than it would have otherwise. See you next time.