Speaker 1: Hi Heart podcasts, hear more Kiss podcast playlist and listen live on the Free iHeart app A good pickup with Britt Hockley and Laura Burn Radio.
Speaker 2: What our windows down?
Speaker 3: That's my world, risen the dust, only good babs all round. I don't much, but yeah I know I'll big get.
Speaker 1: And what I want.
Speaker 3: It don't matter. Where does this is the pickup?
Speaker 1: Hi guys, it's the pickup with Britt Hockley and Laura Burn.
Speaker 2: Hey.
Speaker 3: Now there's no confirmation, but there is speculation that Beyonce could be coming to Australia on part of her tour. I would, hands down go and see that in a heartbeat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, saying, hey, what about Katy Perry? Though she isn't she You're gonna go see her?
Speaker 3: She just annoys me a little bit too much now and I feel like it's interrupting my feelings about the music.
Speaker 1: I am at a point now where I feel a bit sorry for Katy Perry.
Speaker 2: I think the.
Speaker 1: Pylon is hard and swift, even if she does come across a little bit insufferable, but she's still very harsh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was pretty fast, wasn't It was like a rocket The pylon get it. It's not funny. I thought it was funny. No, But what I want to talk about Beyonce, not the fact that I would go to her concept. But I read this this morning and it really pissed me off. People are slamming her and saying like she's a failure and she's done and all of this stuff because her concert didn't immediately sell out. And there are some people that are selling tickets for like twenty thirty dollars.
Speaker 2: So the resell on like the resell.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like some people like, hey, just here's a ticket. It's cheap, and everyone's like comparing it to the same price as a happy meal, And I'm like, this is Beyonce. We love to see it, like this woman has been at the top of her game for twenty years. We love to wait for like the tiniest thing that we can grasp onto because maybe she didn't sell out a show for the first time.
Speaker 1: When you say resell value, does this turn It is the people trying to scout tickets, so like people who have bought lots of tickets, they do it at a bet that it's going to sell out quickly and then they can resell it for a higher value.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well I then assume that's what the twenty dollars resell. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I kind of think, well, if anything like sucks to be them, like you deserve that, because it's so annoying when you had these people who buy out so many tickets and then try and resell it for more expensive Like it's just such a shitty business plan.
Speaker 3: I just was annoyed at the headlines trying to like slam on a woman just because you know, she's just won Album of the Year. The woman is not failing. The woman is a billionaire. The woman has an amazing family and a husband. And I just hate the fact that we're like, yes, we knew what you suck. You're done, Like, get a life. Anyway, if she comes here, I'm gonna go see he for twenty bucks.
Speaker 1: Well maybe I'm going to go and see Katie Perry as well.
Speaker 3: I actually yours.
Speaker 2: I would like to go and see her. I'm not against it, Okay, So no one's coming with me, right.
Speaker 3: I want to talk to you today, Laura about AI and teaching. Now. I know there's a lot of people in the world that are scared that AI is going to end up taking over and taking jobs because it's sort of what it's doing, like it's putting a lot of people out of work. And there are a lot of people saying that AI is very close to out smarting us as humans, like they don't need us anymore to repro themselves. Now, that will be a scary day.
Speaker 1: I mean, that doesn't surprise me though, Like, I mean, they have the answers to everything since it is constantly connected to the Internet.
Speaker 3: Well, something very controversial is happening over in the UK. So there is a college, a private school in London called David Game College, and it is about to open its first class of teacherless courses to twenty people. Now it's done a trial with seven students. This is a course that is going to be run almost one hundred percent solely on AI robots. So the teacher is going to be a robot that is programmed for them. They will learn just with headsets. Like there's a photo here. This is what the classroom's going to look like. Right, you'll go to school, You'll put an AI headset on. Looks like a virtual reality headset. Yeah, virtual reality, And that's how it's going to be taught. There's going to be three people like still real humans that are going to be like helpers to the robot that will be in the room to help with things like emotional support and teach the things that the AI robot isn't good at. Now, the things that the AI robot isn't good at is like sex education and things like that, because I guess robots don't have sex apparently, so they don't know how to teach that. But I don't know how I feel like I really did this deep dive into it. At the start, when I heard that a robot could be teaching the class, I was like, that is wild. I would never want my kid to be taught by AI. And then when I read a little bit more about it, it definitely has some pros in it as well. So like each child does its studies on a computer with its headset, but they're not all the same. So the computer and the AI will learn what that particular student is excelling at and what they're not excelling at. Then it tailors its course and its curriculum to push it in so it becomes like an even playing field for everyone. So if it sees that you're lacking in something, whether that's maths or science or chemistry. It tailors its program to your specific needs, and so there are parts of it like that where I'm like, well, that's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: When I first saw this, when you said David Game College, I just looked it up because I was like, oh, it might be like a coding school, Like it might be like David Game I don't know, like gamer.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was like, maybe it's like a school for people who who are who are gamers.
Speaker 2: It's not.
Speaker 1: It's just a normal private school. I think that most parents would have an issue with this. I think that that most people out there would feel as though, you know, look, I understand that this might come into being a standard in the future, but no one wants their kids to be the guinea pigs of a new procedure. And that would be the thing that I would be the most concerned about, because AI, yes it's very smart, and yes it can adapt to people's learning skills and everything else, but it doesn't have empathy. It doesn't know how to show emotional intelligence, it doesn't know how to cater to students' very unique needs, and it also doesn't know how to read how someone's feeling, like a kid could be feeling panicked about the information that they're getting, or they could be feeling stressed or have anxiety or whatever, and there's no way for AI to pick up on those social cues. So I think that this really only suits a very specific type of learning, And what we've all learned from going through school is that all kids learn differently, and all kids need different support structures and support systems in place. And I think that this goes backwards, not forwards.
Speaker 3: With that, I think we need to come to this sort of acceptance and realization in the world that we can't beat AI. AI is our future. It is going to be integrated into all aspects of our life. And I do think it's going to come into schools and colleges around the world, but I don't think it should ever come in one hundred percent, Like I think we should be working alongside it. So maybe it's okay that they've still got three support teachers in the classroom, and maybe that's the part where the empathy comes in and things like that.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: My other point to these is is, like I mean, looking at this and looking at these kids sitting with virtual reality goggles on.
Speaker 2: In a classroom.
Speaker 1: There's something really isolating about that, like they're not having a combined learning experience.
Speaker 2: I think so much learning, and I think.
Speaker 1: About this from a workplace as well, comes from the brainstorming. It comes from the creativity of what other people think, or the questions that other people have, because that question might spark something that's of interest to you. You know, it's a collaborative learning experience in a classroom, and this makes learning very isolated and individual and I don't know if that is actually socially a benefit to kids.
Speaker 3: Well. The other thing that people are kicking off about, and I think fair, is that per year per student, this school costs thirty five thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: And now they've removed some teachers from the equation that employ less people but still make the same amount of money.
Speaker 3: Everyone's like, what, how an't you paying the robot? How much you paying them? Is their salary more than the average teacher, like thirty five thousand dollars per I.
Speaker 1: Mean, look, I understand that it's something that we're not going to be able to move away from in the future, but I would not want my kids being the guinea pig for this type of learning at all like, And I think schools and teachers have such a huge responsibility as it is, there is so much on them in terms of what they have to provide. But I don't think that this is the solution to that problem. I think more support for teachers is the solution.
Speaker 3: It's also crazy. I think that one day our kids will say to us, Oh my god, I can't believe you were taught by like a human. That's so lame.
Speaker 1: But also like, why are we increasing screen time? Like there's no there's so many refugere flags about this.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: The other week, if you guys will this, I told a story about how the dummy Fairy came to our house and she took my daughter, who is four years old, Lola, her prize possession, and that was her five dummies that she has had since literally the day she was born. She loves these dummies more than she loves anything that's ever existed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we had to bring the dummy fairy in because she's going to school next year, and there was no other way for you to get rid of them. So we're like, what can we do?
Speaker 1: In my defense, she wasn't supposed to be going to school next year, we thought, we have another year of daycare, but she's still four. Yeah, she's four, all right, Look it's my faults. It was really hard because it's the one thing that she just loved more than anything in the world. And like any night that we'd ever done without a dummy, she only has it to go to sleep, and then we take it off her when she is asleep. So it's just that transition period that any night that we'd ever forgotten it, or we'd been at a hotel, or she'd lost or anything like that, it was like, yeah, I don't have anything to compare it to. I honestly thought that getting rid of the dummies was going to be the worst part of our parenting experience. But we did the Dummy Fairy, and the Dummy Fairy came and she brought a present, and you know, it was a really exciting positive change. And I think Lola was the one who was ready. She said, you know, I'm ready for the Dummy Fairy and I'm ready to get rid of them, and everything seemingly has been going great. I even got on the show and talked about how cocky I was that actually, the dummy Fairy is a genius. Idea and yeah, look, I feel like I cracked the code with it, with like the specific way of the.
Speaker 2: Dummy fairy coming and visiting.
Speaker 3: Why do I feel like this sounds too good to be true?
Speaker 1: So over the long weekends that just passed, we went away for a little weekend. I took my travel makeup case with me. I don't unpack it very often. It's got a lot of junk in it, but you know, it's a good one to take with me because if I lose it, I.
Speaker 2: Don't really care.
Speaker 1: And we're in the bathroom and Lola was just going through my makeup as she normally does, and then I hear her go.
Speaker 2: I was like, what's that? And I looked down and there it is.
Speaker 3: You missed a dummy.
Speaker 2: We missed a dummy. One job, Laura, we missed one hidden rogue dummy.
Speaker 1: This dummy is so fairal It has been floating around the bottom of my makeup case probably for two years, like that dummy is an infection waiting to happen. And she picked it up and she created it in her hands and instantly started rubbing it on her face and.
Speaker 3: I was like, so I didn't go in the mouth. She rubs it on.
Speaker 1: She rubs it on her face. Yeah, does she God? Yeah, she rubs it on her cheek. She likes the feeling, and then of course she puts it in her mouth. But I got in there. I intercepted before it happened. But it has completely derailed us. Okay, so now we're like two months clear of the dummy Fairy, and now every night she's like, but what about that one?
Speaker 3: So she's probably relapsed. She's had a relap, she's relapsed, she's back in rehab, dummy rehab.
Speaker 2: I do I don't know.
Speaker 1: Does the dummy Fairy come again and take the next time? Like she knows that it's there.
Speaker 3: No, stop pandering. You get some scissors and you cut it, and you cut it in front of her. I've heard people say it, that's so true. No, she's going to school, she needs to loan. She's old enough. You cut dummy's and then.
Speaker 2: You smack her And no, I'm joking.
Speaker 3: Sorry, you expac people, we've all got trouble.
Speaker 2: You grew up in the eighties.
Speaker 3: You just say, look, now it doesn't work, it's broken, and you also tell her that it's an infection. You're like, look, how dirty. This is you will get so sick if you have this. We have to cut it. Now, you cut it. She sees that it's gone, none of this dummy fairy anymore. She's gone to school. Life doesn't pander to us. She needs to know that sometimes we make hard decisions. I think, go hard with the dummy.
Speaker 1: If I was a child and I got to choose whether I was like I had me, I'm not choosing bread my child.
Speaker 3: I tell you what they're not. No, they will be doing just fine in life.
Speaker 2: I agree. I agree.
Speaker 1: Look, there are times when I do think that we are too soft in our kids.
Speaker 2: But I also know that this.
Speaker 1: Is like the one thing for Lola that's a very big deal for her, and it's going to be bigger deals. Don't get me wrong, Like I haven't given it to her. I don't want anyone to think that I've caved. I've stayed strong. But it's just it's been journey last couple of days.
Speaker 3: Why need to get something else to rub on a face that feels nice? Serious? Like if it's like a sensory thing, go as something else. It's not that she can't put in a mouth.
Speaker 2: That's the problem.
Speaker 1: The problem we have now is is that anything she picks up like it could be a hair elastic, it could be a toy, a piece of lego. Anything she picks up now straight in the mouth, she'll just put it in her mouth and should chill on it. And she never ever used to do that when she had the dummy at nighttime. But I think it's because she's just trying to find other things to sell South.
Speaker 2: So every time I look at her.
Speaker 1: She's put some choking hazard is gone into a mouth that is hard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all day I am on like choke watch.
Speaker 3: I feel like this whole conversation, you'd be like, take that back.
Speaker 1: Do you know what, don't come to me for parenting advice.
Speaker 2: That's what we've established it. That's pretty much it.
Speaker 1: Now we are talking dating age ranges, whether people like to date down in age or date up in range. Britt was spoken about this a little bit before, because you you have gone on record and clearly don't mind you're dating someone who's a bit younger than you.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm marrying someone younger than me. That's true.
Speaker 1: You're engaged to someone who is a little bit younger than you that you have no qualms in dating down in terms of age. No, my fiance Ben is five years younger than me, and me to the oldest age gap though that you would date down for well, my relationship before that was seven years and that's the biggest that I've gone seven years down, and I before I met him, I probably wouldn't have said I would have gone that far in an age gap, Like in my head, I probably would have said five would have been about it.
Speaker 3: But I don't know where I pulled that number from. That's just come from this preconceived idea that men take so much longer to mature, so like I wouldn't have wanted to have that big gap. But having said that, when I met my the seven year partner difference, he was only twenty five at the time, so I was in my thirties and twenty five sounds so young. But I didn't notice it, so it didn't bother me. But I just seemed to be attracted to young men.
Speaker 1: Well, I think I would always have said that I date older guys, like I would have said that would have been my preference older men. Interestingly, though, is that my husband is a year younger than me.
Speaker 3: Which doesn't really well it's not a big deal.
Speaker 1: But sometimes our birthdays because there's like a couple of months where they don't align. So there is a few months in the year where I'm two years older than him, he's two years younger than me.
Speaker 2: But like, I've never really thought about it.
Speaker 1: If I was going to have put my age range in tender, I think I would have put my age range as like my age and up. I don't think I ever would have had that bracket as age down at all.
Speaker 3: Nah. You say that as someone that was on that for like ten years. It goes to the radiuses is because it gets in the age gaps as because it gets it's like you end up casting that net far and wide. Desperation.
Speaker 1: It's not come on, it's not desperation. No, no options open.
Speaker 3: No. It comes to the point for every woman listening in the car right now that has been single and on those date a.
Speaker 1: Sixty year old, it would be fine. I got a thirty year age GAP's okay.
Speaker 3: I got to the point where it was like extend range and it was like you cannot extend the range any further. It was like five hour drive away, and I feel like I will do it. I will meet you halfway, I will go on a date with you. But the stereotype definitely is and has always been that men date down and women date now.
Speaker 1: The reason why we're talking about this is because, interestingly, there's been a research study that's come out of the University of California. They did a research study across four thousand and five hundred blind dates, and what they found is that often people think that they have a perceived attraction to an age or they.
Speaker 2: You know, people think they have.
Speaker 1: A type, but when it actually comes from sitting across from someone who it is that they're actually attracted to, can be very, very different. And what the outcome of this study found is that both men and women statistically like to date younger So I think for so long we've assumed that women would prefer to date older men, But interestingly, this study is found that actually women as well like to date younger men. Everyone wants someone who's a little bit younger than me.
Speaker 3: It doesn't shock me. You know who has taken an age gap really really far? Is Madonna?
Speaker 2: What's the game?
Speaker 3: Madonna is sixty six and her partner is twenty eight and share so share is seventy eight years old, which is wild to me, Like, I still think of her so young. I don't think of her as nearly eighteen years old so young. Yeah, and Shar's partner is thirty eight. Those are big differences for women to date down I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, ah, get it, girl, I agree, and I disagree because I still think that big age bracket relationships come with a fair bit of stigma, and especially as well on the flip side. I mean, we look at Leonardo DiCaprio. There's all the memes around him being in his fifties and dating nineteen year old girls, and just how kind of questionable and congross it is. I mean, this study isn't talking huge age gaps. It's just talking about that kind of more in between number. Like maybe it's a female who's quite happy to date someone who's five years younger, but they perceive their preferences being older because that's what you know, you've been swayed.
Speaker 2: By what society tells you you should want.
Speaker 1: And the outcome of this and I thought it was quite funny it said, this study proves what psychologists have known for years that people suck at predicting what will make them happy. So what you think is going to make you happy actually could very well be something else.
Speaker 3: You think you know what you want, And that's why it's so important in dating to date outside the box as well. Like if you have been dating so many times for the same kind of person, like for so many years, you've got the same type, you're constantly going for the same looks or the same jobs or occupations or type of person, scrap that because chances are well, firstly, shock it's not working if you're still on a dating now, so that person is not working. But often you find the success when you go on a date with someone that you never in a million years would have thought that you was the person for you. And definitely don't say no to someone just because they're younger. It was weird on the weekend, my younger sister goes to me, isn't it weird that you're marrying someone two years younger than me? That moment, when she put it into perspective like that, I was like, yeah, that's weird because you're like my baby sister. Anyway, let's get out of here, all right, guys.
Speaker 2: Well that's it from us