Speaker 1: Christ Yeah, welcome friends to the Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 2: Last night, then end of a really big era of TV, A TV show that actually my country and your country both share. It's bigger in England, where Neighbors has been watched for decades by millions of people. It's on twice a day. There was the original screening at lunchtime, when if you're sick from school you always watched it at lunchtime, and then it was on again at five half past five, and it was one of the biggest shows in on British TV for years and years and years. So the fact that this came come to an end it felt last night when I was watching it all you actually felt like you were saying goodbye to an era of TV that actually isn't going to ever be the same again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're right in a way because now we're so used to streaming shows with big budgets, and it was funny to watch Neighbors again like considerably a lower budget that were used to be.
Speaker 2: It was spoiled. Now it's a feast of all this amazing streaming content. We've got almost too much to keep up with. What show you should be watching? And because we grew up the TV that's just how it was then. And also they churned out thousands and thousands and thousands of episodes over the years. What do we all think of it, Patsy, what do you think of it? Yesterday?
Speaker 4: I hadn't watched it since I was like fifteen or sixteen, and I know what you mean. It's kind of I don't know if lack lust year is the right word to use, but I exactly word.
Speaker 2: Jack and I were texting each other yesterday. Jack said lacklusty.
Speaker 3: Actually, as it started, I texted other people to say, is this the last episode or second to last, because it didn't start with the fanfare of like this is the final over Neighbors.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, And it felt wrong that it was a Thursday night and not Anyway, I loved it. I loved it. I love that Charlene was back, Kylie and Jason, and I love that Annie Jane was back. I loved it back when I was.
Speaker 2: Young, the stuff with her and Guy Peace was done. It was just great son. Obviously Guy Peas is a big, big international act superstar like my Good Rob as well, but him just committing to a very simple storyline of the Neighbours show.
Speaker 3: It's like good on here, It's kind of built around He must have been of the biggest stars that have come out of Neighbors. He must have been the one that said, yeah, I'll do this properly, whereas Kylie came back and didn't say a word.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 4: That's kind of weird, wasn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what was that? I couldn't work on what the story was. There'd obviously be a story there. And I also know from somebody who worked on that show as well, Margot Robbie. Obviously she did her bit. She wasn't there. She sent forty bottles of champagne for the What a classy thing to do. But yeah, I thought the end of Felt was actually quite nostalgic. I thought it was really I was actually surprisingly moved by it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the end, That's how I felt. I haven't watched it in years as well, probably since I was a kid. So much so that Tony in Yesterday's episode I noticed had an adult son and I was like, they.
Speaker 2: Grew up so fast. I was reading Yesterday over the years. Then at Erin's Brother, there's been one hundred kidnapping and hostage situations I mean, I know some suburbs in the city go through quite a lot. They've also been thirty nine natural disasters.
Speaker 5: That's almost one a year as a dangerous spot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sixty four deaths, fifteen people have come back from the dead. Oh wow, what a show. So today I thought we do a special version of The Weakest Claim to Fame. It is such a big show and it's actually so many We know about the stars who've been in front of the camera, but so many people would have worked on that show over the years. It's actually a bit very big Melbourne institution really and TV institution here in Britain as well. So weak is claim to Fine? What is your weakest claim to fine? Some of you may have been background extras in it as well. Weak is Claim to Fine? A Neighbours special and Jack and I were wondering whether there's anyone listening who's actually seen every single episode. We've obviously stopped over the last twenty years, but maybe you start with it Neighbors. What have you got? Christian o Connell's show podcast at eight the Swanning They way back to the Suntall Stadium. It's the Grand Final Innocence. We'll take on experience in the trade e games, five thousand dollars up for grabs. Who will be the king of all trades? We talked this warning about the ending finally of Neighbors. What is your weakest claim to famee to do with the TV show Neighbors on nine four one four three. We've had some great claims to faign over the last year or two we've been doing it. That often Neighbors comes up some of our favorite ones. There was a cool we had once about someone's partner fainting due to heat stroke at shopping center and Luke Carpenter from Neighbors came to the rescue. You remember that also that somebody used to work at a Telstra court center with Harold why he was on the show. All right, then, so what is your weakest claim to fame? To do the TV show Neighbors? Nine to four one four one four three Trevor, Good morning.
Speaker 6: Good morning came How are we Trevor.
Speaker 2: Trevor, tell us about you and Neighbors? Then?
Speaker 6: Yes, I did six episodes as a BMX stunt double for two of the actors.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, think of the stunt scene.
Speaker 6: Your friend because he was too tall he was a stunt he does stunt all over the world, and he rang up me because I was a BMX and he's like, no, I think it'd be the right height. And I got there and I was the exact height of two of the actors, So I got the job.
Speaker 2: What was the stunt? Can you remember what did you have to do? Because if his nighbors, he wanted me to think too.
Speaker 6: Death to find No, there was a few if I had to do a three sixty over a set of doubles in Harold's back in his garden.
Speaker 5: When did Harold have a set of doubles in his gardens?
Speaker 6: The kids got the shovel out and made some dirt jumps up and one night there I was raining, I had to lay in a puddle. I'm like, I'm just laying in this puddle in the I was freezing. I was like, this is going to be worth some good money.
Speaker 2: Do you remember what you were paid? You wouldn't have been paid much of bet.
Speaker 6: Oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: One time I was there for twenty minutes. I nearly got around a thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: And one of the shows wrapping up that he could have got and they could have actually made a Friday Night episode they run out of cash. Trevor, thank you very much. You cool guys. Paula, Good morning, Paula. What's your week? Claim to fine? To do with the Neighbors?
Speaker 7: Okay, so back in the eighties, I used to work for camut Roville on Stud Road and they used to close off the front of the car park and do filming there on our lunch breaks. We used to come out for our lunch.
Speaker 8: Break where they stand.
Speaker 7: We're doesn't stand there and watch the actual show being filmed, just like.
Speaker 2: The Hollywood lot, you know, if people going and see what TV shows and movies have been made for you. Who's the latest scenes in Neighbors Paula on a lunch.
Speaker 8: Break that was it was just amazing, like just to watch them all filming, and they had the all the big trucks there, you know, and we're obviously they were getting fed and everything there. It was just like, oh my god, we're watching the Neighbors things filmed in the car park.
Speaker 2: Just to see those famous people eating the back of a truck. Paula, thank you very much. She called, Let's go to Matt. Good morning, Matt, Hi, I'm good, but happy Friday all right, Yeah, what's your week clean to fain to do with the TV show Neighbors.
Speaker 9: My week kind of fame was and kind of skiz sometimes is. I was in an eighties cover band with Kim Valentine in nineteen ninety five.
Speaker 2: She was was that Lebby that's Lebby?
Speaker 9: Yeah, And she was only about eighteen at the time, but she loved the eighties and wanted to sort of be part of the whole thing.
Speaker 10: And it was right when we were launching the band, and everyone.
Speaker 9: Thought we were crazy because it was only nineteen ninety five and the eighties hadn't finished that long ago.
Speaker 2: But because five years yeah, I remember five years ago, that would be like.
Speaker 3: Us now sewing in twenty sixteen cover band, it was like.
Speaker 9: Yeah, but because she was singing, of course, the rooms were absolutely packed with Davids fans and they were handing her roses and doing all sorts of stuff, and she was sort of dressed up like Kim Warlden was loving it. So there you go.
Speaker 2: Oh awesome, that's a nice story, Matt, Thank you very much. Have a nice weekend you too, see well.
Speaker 1: Christian Connell's show podcast.
Speaker 2: Since we started the show about four years ago, belly Wheat goes by. Actually we don't get some kind of call about neighbors. I think we've actually had about ten of the cast members taking part another phone in. Oh yeah, it just happened to be.
Speaker 3: Listening because they're from neighbors, the Timmins, and that we spoke to the whole Timmins family.
Speaker 2: The whole family. We've had on and Stephen Dennis as well. Do you even when I was obsessed with Stephen Dennis for a while? Good morning Christian, Jack and Patsy, Connie and Jason used to skateboard outside my shop. All these incredible stories today are to do with the weakest claim to fame. We're doing a neighbor special on nine four one four one o four three. Good morning, Ben, Good morning all.
Speaker 11: We climbed the same young Ryan Maloney, which is a KA Tody was by our son's basketball coach, junior basketball coach.
Speaker 2: This is a great one. You've got to tell us more, Please tell us more.
Speaker 11: The guy is a cracker, he's a he's a bit of a legend. He's a great role model for the kids up his own basketball club down on the Peninsula. He was the president. He coached. He got around it. You know, he did some personal development coaching.
Speaker 6: And I mean.
Speaker 2: Phil Jackson wasn't in neighbors. I think he on the great Phil Jackson.
Speaker 11: He yeah, mate, he was.
Speaker 2: He was really good.
Speaker 11: He was running like seven am basketball lessons for the kids at the local stadium's midweek and then he to go off and shooting. I remember one day I was having an actor him. I'm like, what are you doing? That's work stuff? What do you what do you got to read for work? And he's like, oh my lines, And I'm.
Speaker 6: Like, did.
Speaker 5: Was this mullet tody? Or was that post mullet?
Speaker 11: No, post mullet.
Speaker 10: This is very serious, serious toy.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 3: Don't have the other basketball team senior coach with a mullet and not taking the game seriously.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's one of the TV show had to change his story one because of his basketball coaching. Man, that's a great one. Thank you very much for sharing that with us. Have a nice Jesus Mark, Good morning. What's your week claim to fain to do with Neighbors?
Speaker 12: Yeah, morning, guys, it's another totally one actually all day.
Speaker 10: Yeah, he's a great, great blake.
Speaker 13: But I was in my tuned in thinking he's died and we're doing your memories today neighbors to TV show has died, but everyone is well okay, so Tody's as well.
Speaker 2: Carry on, mate, rest in peace.
Speaker 12: So we were I was in year ten in the nineties and catching a train home from the old Spencer Street station of Eline train from school and can we get to Spencer Street station? They're actually filming an episode there. We were so excited, but the scene was once our train left, Tody was actually chasing after it and I think his mate, Jesse Spencer was might have gotten on the train. He was trying to stop the train, but he never caught us. But it was a great, great fun to see that episode.
Speaker 5: Your party history.
Speaker 3: Mark, Yeah, certainly, I'm not sure I got in there, but but but yes, it was good fun.
Speaker 2: But it would have given so many people in this city a little touch of showbiz, of something being filmed, of what it all looks like. Mark, Thank you very much for the court.
Speaker 1: This is the Christian O'Connell show podcast on.
Speaker 2: The show today. Then coming up this hour knock Off Friday, where we always ask you the best question a week. What time are you knocking off? Today and what is the highlight for you this weekend? And then at eight o'clock it is all about just two tradees taking each other on in the trade e pentathlon two Trade's five, tougher than tough, tougher than tough, tough events, tough but tough face. That's enough toughness on today's show. It's all at eight'l Before that, though, Neighbors finished yesterday after thirty seven years, nine thousand episodes. No an institution here, an even bigger institution of UK Jinne's Heyday for fifteen years, each episode would put in between eight and ten million people watching in the UK. For many of us, me being a teenage growing up watching it, I actually thought this is what Australia must be like each I haven't short changed, haven't been for He's gotta be honest. Anyway, that's not for now. This morning we celebrate a great TV show. We're looking for your weakest claim to faine, a weakest plain to face special to do with Neighbors. It deserves this like this and Karen. Years ago, I was volunteering at the RSPCA, were sawing through some old paperwork. What I saw that Toady's great Toady, all pass me to Toady this morning. Brian Maloney had come in the day before and doctor two guinea pigs, as us said, him and his family were lovely Christian, I'll admit this is a very very weak claim to fain. No, it's just perfect, all right. That's the kind of standard we're looking for this morning. It's low nine four one four one oh four three. Good morning, Chris, I'm good Chris. Welcome to the show. What have you got for us? Then? You and the TV show Neighbors?
Speaker 10: Okay, So when Kylie was first joined, she was an apprentice mechanic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember that, yeah. And the overalls, yeah, the grease under her eyes.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 10: It was shot at Lavernon at a Laburnum service station where it was a fuel and a mechanical workshop. So we used to go there and make used to say, our neighbors are coming down and they take over the whole service station, everything, the workshop. And the funniest thing was that the owner, Kliff, my mate's father, was paid fifty dollars a day.
Speaker 14: And the.
Speaker 10: Fifty dollars, now, back in the eighties was worth a bit, but fifty dollars and he said, oh, that's great money. You know, I can make a lot of money doing this. But anyway, so they got to see Kylie and the crew and.
Speaker 2: Also the Yeah no, Chris, thank you very much for show and have a goo weekend, Buddy, thanks for calling you too. Thanks christ and Jason.
Speaker 6: Good morning, here were you.
Speaker 7: O.
Speaker 12: My claim was that my boss is an apprentice back in the early nineties, bought dwype Piece's motorbike.
Speaker 2: What a claim to thing. There are about three different links to get to that out there, that motibike. How much did he pay for go Pierce's old motorbike.
Speaker 10: I'm pretty sure it was about four and a half the hour, wasn't at the time.
Speaker 2: Bloody, How he's not getting any meets rates the fans of the show? Is the old guy?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 7: No, he had four daughters, so I think he bought it just to tell.
Speaker 10: Them that he had paid his bike.
Speaker 2: Right, Jason, thank you very much. A cool have a nice weekend, do you do?
Speaker 6: Thank you? Shy Hello.
Speaker 14: My week claim to fame is that the Neighbor's agents raigning to Domato Robbie's makeup when she started on Neighbors and I was busy, and I didn't really try and anything much of her, or it would be anything and you have for a picture at the end, and I was like, oh, if you want one, okay, And then she just turned out to be a massive celebrity, making twelve million dollars.
Speaker 2: Yes, one of the world's biggest actresses are right now? Yeah, oh Chevy, we all have regrets. Yours is a Margo.
Speaker 7: Robbie one, yes, definitely.
Speaker 2: All right, that's might have a nice Vik and Christian. When we were living in box Hill about ten years ago, our house was used for three days as the home of one of the main neighbors characters illegitimate daughter. What a claim to fame. Thank you very much, Peter.
Speaker 1: This is the Christian O'Connell Show podcast.