Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to the Sitdown. I'm viv Christine, Managing editor of Austraian Tennis magazine.
Speaker 2: And I'm Metrolope Arata, an editor for ozopen dot com and Viv. Why are we sitting down this week with Elena Ostapenko.
Speaker 1: Well, Matt, we had been wanting to interview Yolena for quite some time, so when the opportunity came up at the Australian Open, we of course jumped at it. You know, she's a bit of a phenomen She won the Roland Garrels title in twenty seventeen and went on to bring so much popularity and personality to the sport.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she definitely did, and that French Open win in twenty seventeen, you reference five was not only a massive career breakthrough for her personally, but it actually kind of shifted the landscape of women's tennis if you remember back then. A couple of months earlier, Serena Williams had won the Australian Open and was kind of the dominant player in the game, but then announced her pregnancy and stepped away from the sport. And Ostapenko was the first major champion in that kind of post Serena era, and it was kind of an increased completely. It was such an open period. After that, her win as an unseeded player inspired the rest of the tour to show that they could win as well. Naomi Osaka has talked about that being inspiring for her, and a year later she won the US Open. So it really just showed that anybody could win and just gave the entire feel so much confidence.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I guess one of the interesting things that Elena revealed in our interview is that that success may have come a little bit too early for her. Jolena Ostapenko, thank you for joining us on the sit down here at this Stowe Open. How does it feel to kick off your twenty twenty six campaign with a win?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's great for us round so they're always stuff. It's not it's easy and I'm really happy. Was the way managing the match today, And yeah, in general, I think I was playing world today.
Speaker 2: We don't mean to bring up an unfortunate stat, but it was. You were on a six match losing streak and you broke it today. So does it feel good to get back on track and kind of get back towards the level you know you can reach.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, of course, and I've been like I did really good pre season and I felt like some matches were like really close matches, so and today was important just to like, even you're not playing your best sometimes just to manage it and get through the first round and just in general get through the match.
Speaker 2: Tell us about your pre season if it was a good one, did you do anything different or kind of what did you focus on.
Speaker 3: I just did a lot of fitness, So I was like, first few weeks I was doing in Riga, and then the other two weeks I was doing in Dubai, so like on a halfway to Australia, almost halfway, not halfway. So yeah, I was doing like pretty much everything more focused in Riga was for my fitness stuff and in Dubai more like tennis stuff.
Speaker 1: That it kind of shows just the traveling life of a tennis player really, So you know you're home in Latvia, then you have to go to a warmer climate to to get ready for the Australina Open. Is that like is that a fun experience.
Speaker 2: To travel to and acclimatize. I guess because winters summer is moving around all that house I.
Speaker 4: Like when it's summer.
Speaker 3: Of course, not as hot as it's going to be in a couple of days, like forty degrees it's a little bit too much. But this weather is perfect like here and also Dubai. Yeah, I really like warm weather because especially in like November, December and Latvia, everything is like very dark.
Speaker 4: It gets dark really quick.
Speaker 3: And so and everyone is like sick, so have a cold, Yeah they have cold.
Speaker 4: So yeah.
Speaker 3: I think it was a great change to go to Dubai because I could practice obviously outdoors and yeah, and then a straight flight to Australia.
Speaker 1: What do you love about Melbourne?
Speaker 4: I just like Australia lot.
Speaker 3: It's like really nice and the people are so friendly, and I think Melbourne is really nice city. You kind of have everything you need. You have nice restaurants, you have nice shops, you have good food, you have all the facilities you need. Like every year is improving. The site here is like improving every year, and it's I mean, there is everything that we need to feel good.
Speaker 2: It's been a great tournament for you, my quarterfinals here and had You've been coming here for a long time as well and had big wins over the years. When you think back to all of your Australian Opens, what are some of your best memories or best matches or best level What do you remember most positively?
Speaker 3: I remember the year when I made quarterfinals. I think I played some really great matches beating Coco Golf, and.
Speaker 4: Also probably last year playing the final.
Speaker 3: Also, so two years in a role playing final in doubles, it was also great experience. But of course my focus is singles. But yeah, in doubles, I have no pressure, so I play really like in a good way, relaxed. So yeah, so I wish I can bring this mentality to my singles.
Speaker 1: Just on that, I'm sort of intrigued by doubles and how it contributes to your single success. Do you feel that it helps you?
Speaker 3: I think most of the time yes, because it's still a match. You can practice like so much, but then you go to the match and you play much worse, probably for example because doubles. Of course for me it's less nerves than in singles, but it's still a match and you still have some match elements to work on. So I think you can take it as good practice stuff for singles.
Speaker 1: And is it fun being out on a quote? With another person. Does that change kind of the vibe of the match as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when you have a good wife with a person and good connection, I think it's great. I mean with the way I'm having a lot of fun on the court, because yeah, she's a great personality, and also like I feel like the more we play, the better we feel as a player each other.
Speaker 4: So we kind of match well.
Speaker 2: We your combination is amazing. You have so many fans because you are so opposite, certainly the way you play tennis. What is it like combining with a partner who plays tennis so different to you.
Speaker 3: I think she has great hands and just I think for her is like also great to play with me because from my shots, for her it's it's like my cheeser to probably play the net. But I mean in general, also like she's she has like some great rallies on the baseline and she's like for me like some shots it's like wow, amazing guy, sometimes like well how did you do that?
Speaker 4: So I think, yeah, our like styles match very well.
Speaker 2: You're obviously extremely famous. So when you broke through at the French Open, I remember that actually I was at that tournament, and the way you kind of played, you just excited everybody and developed fans, and you kind of a little bit kind from Norway, even though you'd been a junior champion. And that's almost ten years ago now, So how kind of how do you feel you are as a tennis player these days? And how does that feel recent to you? What does that feel like that's another lifetime ago? Like how much do you cast your mind back to that career highlight?
Speaker 3: I think it was a long time ago, and I kind of, of course, it's a great achievement, but I kind of want to live in a present and try to achieve that again.
Speaker 4: And that's what I'm working for, of course.
Speaker 3: And I think, honestly, maybe as a person, if I want a Grand Slam a little bit when I was a bit older, I think I would have handled it a bit better because it took me a few years just to get used to what happened. Because I'm coming from a really small country and to show everyone that from a small country can win a Grand Slam and be top five player.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's amazing achievement for such a country as lat Yeah.
Speaker 3: So yeah, all the attention, especially you feel that when you're from a small country, like when you come home, you have like attention from everywhere, and yeah, I mean it's really nice, but at the like, on the other side, it's a little bit difficult because you kind of lose your focus on practices and all that stuff. And yeah, I really needed some long time to get used to it. So probably if I was older when I want a Grand Slam, it would be a bit easier to deal with all that stuff.
Speaker 2: It looked like you dealt with it very well though, because after French you made Wimbledon quarters and then you went into the Semis. You've been top five, You've won thousands, Like you might not have won another Grand Slam, but your career has been very consistently good at the biggest tournaments. Do you think that you have Did you adapt better than maybe you think you did.
Speaker 3: I think I was some tournaments consistent, some tournaments not really consistent. For me, what is important is try to be more consistent, at least on the big tournaments. And that's what I'm trying like working on of course, because I think tennis is like seventy seventy five percent mental game. It's like everything in the head because you can play amazing on a practice you can win all the practice sets, and then you go out on the court and you cannot win a match. So it's all like mental things. So yeah, I'm trying to work more on that and just to be like more consistent because obviously I'm more mature now like I got older, and yeah, I think it's better now than never.
Speaker 1: You are really loved by a diverse fan base really just because you're so expressive and you have it seems like you have a lot of fun and you're not afraid to express your emotions on court.
Speaker 4: Is that something?
Speaker 1: Does it come naturally or yeah?
Speaker 3: I think it comes naturally, and I've been working on that as well. Like, of course sometimes it can get too much, but I also feel like if I keep all that inside, I'm gonna like explode at a moment, which is also not helpful and not good for me as it's player, because of course I'm more emotional than most of the players. But I think the people who understand me, they love it and they like to see that because I'm the way I am. I'm not trying to, you know, be someone who people want me to be. I'm myself. Yes, I kind of also like Arena Sablenka sometimes, like I know that she was saying in the interviews that she doesn't like to look at herself on the court, but I think that what makes her very like special and makes her a big personality and also like it helps to achieve more.
Speaker 1: And very authentic as well, So that must feel good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, also, I honestly love big personalities. Also, Serena was like a big personality and you know, yeah, I mean it doesn't there has to be a balance, of course, but as long as it's like in the balance, why not to show your emotions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you've said you've had the great process and you're working very hard, you know, off the court, on your tennis, on your mentality. So what do you hope for in twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: Six Try to get back to top ten and try to play more consistent.
Speaker 4: Just yeah on the big tournaments.
Speaker 1: Well, good luck with that, and thank you for joining us again on the sit down.
Speaker 4: Thank you, thanks so much, well, Matt.
Speaker 1: That didn't disappoint. It was a lot of fun to interview Yolena.
Speaker 2: Oh, it sures and it was really interesting now that I guess we talked about that. Roland Garros win when she was twenty Well, she's now twenty eight and in a different stage of her career and talked about her focus has shifted to trying to be more consistent, working on the mental side of the game, which she said was seventy five percent of tennis. That she's targeting a return to the top ten, so it'll be fascinating to see what she can do in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 4: We'll be back.
Speaker 1: Next week with another episode of the sit Down. Please remember to subscribe so you never miss an interview in your feed, and we'd love you to leave us a rating and review. See you next week, Matt see the n VIV then then.
Speaker 3: Then then the