Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Outspoken. It's a very special episode, and I am getting deja vous because I literally just recorded the same episode Amy with you a couple.
Speaker 2: Of weeks ago.
Speaker 1: Sophie, you were also pregnant eight weeks out from Amy. I feel like this is a bit old hat, like I keep having to announce it to people and then I'm like, sorry, this really isn't that interesting. I think there's a lot of questions about whether you guys planned your pregnancies to be this close together. I mean, it was a shock for me because I've just got back from maternity leave, and I feel like I was left out of a lot of things, Like you guys were off doing your thing and I was at home, and when you guys announced me that you're both pregnant, I was like, oh my god, am I going to be just doing some monologue for the podcast. But we are in discussions. The podcast will still keep running. We're working out what that's going to look like. The ironic thing is that if you rewind to our weddings earlier this year, our weddings were two months apart, and now we're having children two months apart. The honeymoon babies well, no, no, if they weren't, I was pregnant on my honeymoon, which probably wasn't a good idea. Like I thought, Oh, I'm going to feel so good in my bathers, I'm gonna be so fit, And it was the very early stages. But it's those stages where you were so bloated, like it's not even a baby bump. You were just disgustingly bloated and uncomfortable. I hate to say it, but I warned you because I was already pregnant. When you warned me, no, no, you weren't. You went at all. What well I was trying? Yeah, yeah, I said to you. I knew you were trying, and I said, look, so, to be honest, being pregnant is actually fucking shit in the first trimester, and you do not want to be pregnant on your honeymoon. I'd wait and try and conceive the baby on the honey To be honest, I mean, apart from maybe feeling slightly unconfident in my bathers, I actually have been lucky that I seemed to turn a corner on my honeymoon and I felt a lot better and more like myself. When I first found out. I don't know if it was mental or what. I felt like shit, Like no, I it wasn't like I had a terrible headache. Sophie, You're not really a glass half full kind of person. You're a glass And do you type a person from someone who's been through it eight weeks earlier? To Sophie, I felt like shit. I feel like anybody who says that they feel like she should be listened to because it's seen a terrible period. It's ring of all these people having these huge naps during the day, I suppose people working from home. I didn't have any of that. I pushed through it, which probably didn't help. And we're very social people. We're out a lot of or not use so much anymore, Kate, because you have a child, but you know this is our last harah six months to enjoy it. But we're out most nights with friends or doing stuff. So I just kept pushing myself. And it's not like I could say to my friends, I'm fucking tired. I can't, isn't it. A lot of people say, yeah, that you can't even complain about it or explain why maybe you look so tired, and the whole thing is because as soon as I found out I was pregnant, I found TikTok a really great place to go to because I found that a lot of women would pre record moments from the first trimester and talk about like the cravings they were having or whether they were feeling like shit. And for me, I wanted to know straight away what the gender is because I mean, you guys are having boys. Growing up as girls, I've always thought one day I really want to have a girl. So I was so like, oh, like, I want to look into what the cravings are for a girl. I straight away knew that I was having a boy, which wives tail old wives tails aren't well. They said that if you're having a boy, you absolutely crave salty food. All they wanted to eat was two minute noodles and chips. And I got my cravings. I think yours were because you did do a gender reveal, and Amy and I got our cakes from the same person, but you wanted to be different. You got a different one, and you went and picked the cake up and you rang me and you were like, oh my god, it's got blue specks in the ice. Please. It was a vintage love heart cake that had white icing, and it had blue and pink love hearts on it, and within the icing it looked like there was black. It was and I was like, it was vanilla, vanilla bean, I told you. But the cake lady said that she was either going to bake like a blue or pink cake, and I thought, maybe she hasn't done that. It was clearly black having a melt done because it was a boy. I was having a melt done because I didn't want the surprise to be that. Yet you continue to like look at the cake with a microscope, and I said, Sophie, this a similar thing happened to me. There was a little bit of pink on the icing, and I was like, definitely a girl. And that's why when I pulled out the blue I was like, what Dale said, There's no way that Sophie hasn't looked in the envelope before we went to the gender Ville. I said, honestly, she doesn't know. I said, she really doesn't need Even Brandon was worried that she was peaking. In the end, Sophie's not known for keeping secrets, didn't he say, Like you asked him, like, oh, so have you thought of any more? Boys' names, and he's like, you've looked in the envelope, haven't you. I promise I didn't know. It's funny because I was speaking to some older relatives who had no idea about a gender reveal, Like I think there's like that group of people who were like, oh, I didn't even know you could find out the gender. They never did that back in our day. Well they did because they didn't have the technology. And they're like, how does it work? So do you know beforehand? And then you tell the baker. I'm like, no, you just collect an end. But some people would do. Some people actually they just find out privately with their partner and then they have it as a surprise for the family, which, in hindsight, that's probably quite a nice idea. Only when I was finding out together, my hand was shaking. I cut the I was supposed to cut like a nice, big fat piece of cake. To make the I cut the smallest piece. You could barely pull it out.
Speaker 2: I just knew from your face because I saw so.
Speaker 1: My advice to Sophie was close your eyes when you pulled the knife out, because what happened was when I cut into mind and pulled the knife out. I saw the blue and not to pretend, So I didn't have much of a reaction in my video because I'd already knew. And then yeah, and then in mind I had red jams, so I was like really confused. So then Sophie cut the smallest piece and she went to pick it up with the cake server and it all crumbled. But I saw her face and I was like, it's a boy. I like had my hands over. It was more that I just couldn't believe that we were all having boys. What is going on? Like from growing up in the household where everything's girly, we never had to watch boys stuff. Like. I was so excited because I know, originally you wanted a girl, and I think we all have said I've been on the record and said I want a girl. Now that I have a boy, I'm like, I could not imagine my life without a boy. Absolutely love him. I love being a boy, Mum. I know you guys are going to love it. And when it was a boy, I was so excited because they're all just going to get along. So well, we keep calling them the triplets. Yeah, well you've been saying, Kate, how they're going to be actually biologically like half siblings. Yes, So I don't want to get into the specifics because I was talking to my uncle who is a GP, and I was like, oh, yeah, apparently genetically they're like half siblings. And he looked at me as if I was on crack and I'm like, no, no, it's true. And how you asked me to explain it?
Speaker 2: And I feel uncomfortable ela to a doctor, can you explain it to me?
Speaker 1: But yeah, so the way I explained it is it would essentially be like if I had a baby with rhys Dale and Brandon. So the DNA from me is the same, but the DNA from the husband's is different. And I have clarire Jesse Stevens talking about that that their children are technically half seas. Yeah. Yeah, so I actually have a prediction that all of the boys are going to look like their dads and we're going to grow up with basically Reesdale and Brandon's minimes. I do hope that the child looks a little bit like me. I feel like i'd be fair if it was half half because as the woman you do so much to the heavy lifting, you have to be pregnant, you have to mostly stereotypically take time off work, but seems like a biological thing. It makes sense as women, we get to bond with the baby during the nine months of being pregnant, and then when the baby comes out and it looks like the dad, they're going to have more of an affiliation and connection and bond with the baby quicker if it looks like So if I want to know, how did you break this news to Brandon? Well, because it was planned. I feel like Brandon obviously had some idea and he knew that my period was coming on a certain day, so I was like, I want to still announce it in acute way, like it's not going to be the biggest surprise. So he goes for port Power, which is a footage thing. I need to interject, so vi, they haven't been port Power for about fifteen years. It's port Adelaide. Yeah, I don't really care. Brown and gets so annoyed by like the port Power. I feel like it's almost trolling them when I say it. But for context, we grew up as massive Crow supporters who hated Port Adelaide. Yeah, so I'm probably going to kick myself in future years. But I thought it'd be cute to buy him a little port powered teddy bear that was my first teddy Bear to give to the baby, as well as like a mini football that's my first football, because I just thought that would get him really excited about the news, and I just thought it was a cute way to do it. So basically, he came home and I had it on the table ready to surprise him. So it was nothing dramatic and huge, and what was his reaction? Like he just couldn't believe it. He's like, this doesn't feel real, Like I can't get my head around it. I still find it hard to get my head around the fact that both are you were pregnant at the same time, and I'm a little bit jealous because you guys are going to be able to spend maternity leave together. A few of our friends have also just announced it they're pregnant and they're having boys as well, which is exciting. We've literally nearly got a basketball team. I think we need like one more member to make the five. It only starts to feel real though, when you feel the baby kicking. So I'm at that stage where he's kicking quite a lot, and I'm really excited so for you to experience that, well, my placenta is at the front, so I think it will take a little bit longer for me to feel any kicks, which is quite interesting because yours was at the front as well, and yours is at the back. What is even weirder, Sophie, and this is what really shocked me and kind of I don't annoyed me a little bit, is that your due date two days before Jack's due date, before his birthday. Yeah, so essentially you're probably going to go into labor, I know, two days before his birthday. So now selfishly, I'm like, when am I holding my son's first birthday party? Because I've been planning his first birthday party in my life. If you're to have a baby on Jack's birthday, I know, so I be getting in trouble with everyone. I'm getting in trouble with you that it's too close to you. I'm getting in trouble with you that's close to your son's But I don't know issue would have been close. I'm just concerned from a work perspective. But we are in the process, as we said, of sorting that out. It's so exciting, like we should be so grateful because how amazing these kids are going to be so close in age. Yeah, you're I was saying, they're the triplets, like the boy triplets. Yeah, so Amy, your son is going to be well, Jack will be ten months older than your son and twelve months older than Sophie's and then the boys will be Your.
Speaker 2: Boys will be eight weeks apart.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, I found out recently that my child is either going to go to school with Jack or Sophie's child, because the way that the years unfold for schooling, they're not all going to be in the same year. So it's either baby h is with Sophi or with joll. Surely he'd be with mine if they're closer in it, but it might be that Jack does a few terms of reception.
Speaker 2: Anyway, we'll hold him back so they can be in the same year.
Speaker 1: Hey, I think it's cool for you, Sophie because you have someone in a sense to compare things to, because I keep saying to you, well, exactly this time next year, you're going to have a six month old like I have. And yeah, it is kind of helpful the timeline.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can kind of track it along.
Speaker 1: But the other thing is So my sister in law is also having a baby in February, so it's just going to be all these babies. We don't know the gender she's waiting to find out. I'm hoping it's a boy so that they not that they won't get along if it's different genders, but it'd be quite cute anyway. And but the thing that I don't like is that I'm last to give birth, So I feel like I'm going to hear all of these fucking horror stories and it's going to freak me out. Like I'm going to be heavily pregnant at the hospital Amy waiting for you, just knowing that I'm going to be there, and I'm glad. I'm actually so glad that I'm having the baby before you because the song and dance that Sophie would have put on maybe, So I'm like, I'm sorry, I think anyone gets a bit nervous about child. No, I know, but you just it's kind of like when you lined up for to get it back saying at school, and you wanted to be the first one to get it over and done. Also, when you have a baby, every milestone you hit, you feel like I've progressed, like, you know, he doesn't need to be fed as many times overnight. I've dropped that night feed, So you're always going to be eight weeks ahead of Sophie and the Saren, and then your sister in law is going to be is four months ahead of you, so you're aways gonna hear.
Speaker 2: Oh, you should be doing this.
Speaker 1: Something I'm excited about is Sofi and I have been discussing how we want to get some prammed, but the ones that are connected, because yeah, the site of three of us going for a walk with three separate prams, I mean, that's just not going to work. So we weren't kind of like, yeah, like some kind of joined PRAM. But we were also saying that during work days, Sof and I going to try and bring the babies together because I know when we were little we slept really well together because one you'd kind of wake up and just sort of see each other and then fall back to sleep. Like we kind of want to set up like nurseries at our house so we can get work done. But also, I mean we're on the same routine as well, which I just bought a portcot so I can bring Jack here.
Speaker 2: Do you know what I want to know?
Speaker 1: Would you be open to breastfeeding each other's kids because you could be your own wetness. I found out that my next door neighbor she had a baby on a couple of months after me, and I was like, Jesus if I was better friends.
Speaker 2: With her because apparently she had an epic milkflow, like.
Speaker 1: She said that that yeah, yeah, And so I was like, really, look, why are we both waking up very look? Sof and I aren't like Sarah's day at Christmas party. I'm not going to be offering everyone to drink my breast milk?
Speaker 2: Why not if you guys are genetically the same?
Speaker 1: Sorry, but I think that you're going to have enough strain in your body that you don't really feel like feeding another child, like even if it is your nephew both sides and then one. But I mean, from a very limited experience in children, don't you feed them on one and then the other? Okay, you're still going to be breastfeeding at the time. Maybe would you be wetnes breastfeeds children milk may have drawn up by then. I don't know. I think that's a bit gross. Maybe I could push it to when Amy, you get birth and then you can start feeding you. I'll put this out there because I can just imagine like someone picking up on this being like triplets breastfeed theameid. No, we're not doing that. That's a big no.
Speaker 2: I think it's too fas.
Speaker 1: Now. I also want to know, and I'm not trying to stir trouble, but it probably will.
Speaker 2: Are you going to be fighting over boys' names?
Speaker 1: Well, we've both written up a bit of a list, and there are some names that cross over, but I think that the names that were really keen on aren't the same.
Speaker 2: Is it a first in best dress? So does Amy have the one up on you?
Speaker 1: Say, Amy, if there was a name that you both liked, how are you gonna work that out? Well? I suppose because I've thrown out names ahead of knowing that Sophie was pregnant, I feel like she's been very respectful and hasn't been targeting those names because it's quite funny because when we found out you were having a boy, because there was a little bit of stress because if I was to go around two and had a girl, then you potentially could have stolen some of the girls' names.
Speaker 2: That I want, but we all like similar names.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of people will be wondering, how did you break the news to us, because obviously when I told you, I told you on the podcast. I told Kate separately. Well, the thing is that you guys knew that I was trying. So I felt like it was hard to make it a big surprise, and I felt like you guys were cottoning on to the fact that something was going on. There was a lot of even at family dinners, it's like, oh, I bet that Sophie's pregnant, Like there are all these comments. So I felt like I had to tell you guys. Well, I think everyone is when they're pregnant. So I decided to tell you at six weeks because I thought, well, if God for bid something happened, i'd want the support of you guys anyway. So I ended up telling you and my mum and at the same time at a little cafe near our house, and I just pulled out a toy and the pregnancy test, and then we thought, oh fuck, we didn't tell Dad. He might be offended. So then that night we had to pretend that we were telling him at dinner, and then I told my in laws the next day at my husband's birthday dinner. So we came back to my house and we got a little bandana for my dog Archie and it said big brother on it, so we made him run out and see everyone. So in terms of Archie, because he is your first son, and yeah, you very much treat him like a child. How are you feeling about integrating a baby into that. Yeah, we were a bit nervous about it because Archie hasn't really been around children heats. But I feel a lot more confident now that he's been around Jack, and Jack loves him, like they have a little cute bond going on. I have Archie on my screensaver of my phone, and every time I showed Jack, he just smiled at Archie. So I'm really excited to see the bond that Archie and the baby will have. Brandon has already been practicing, so he has got a blanket and he'll get his phone and search babies crying on YouTube, and he'll have the phone in the blanket and see how Archie reacts, just to try and get him used to that sound. I mean, I'm sure with any animal, it's always going to be difficult and like a slow process of helping them bond and getting them used to it, because it's a big change for everyone. See, if you ever want a babysit Jack and get Archie used to crying or anything. Let me know. Well, the thing is, I think because the first time you ever brought Jack around, he was so small, and Archie had never seen a baby, and I think he was like, oh my god, what is that. So when he's seen Jack, when he's a bit bigger, I think that's when he was a bit more like, oh, it's a human, and Jack was interactive with him because he was What do you think has been the most surprising thing about becoming pregnant because people often say, oh, you know, it's wild what people will ask you, or I can't believe that this is how I feel immediately. There's a few things like I think I was so concerned that I wouldn't be able to feel pregnant that I never really allowed myself to think about what it would be like being pregnant. So when I first found out that I was pregnant, I was shocked at how tired you feel. I was shocked at just starting to see changes in my body. Like you guys say, oh, you don't even look that pregnant to begin with, but I can personally see the changes myself. Like the amount of your boobs get bigger is the first one where you're like, I think because we all have such small boobs and they're probably still you know, most people would consider them quite small, but you just feel it in yourself. Yeah, and just not being able to like my go to is to wear jeans and a singlet, and because I've been so bloated in the first trimester, I haven't been able to wear a pair of jeans. So it's even like thinking what are outfits that I can wear where it's not obvious to my friends that I'm pregnant, because I didn't want to tell my friends until I hit the three month mark because I was just really paranoid about, you know, all the tests and the nest tests and all that sort of stuff that you have to do. I think the other surprising thing is that people feel like they can ask you any invasive questions. So the amount of people that have been like, oh, how are you giving birth? What? Haven't you had a chance to like even think about it. And there's so much judge are you going public or private? Like there's a lot of I've noticed there's a lot of class around it as well. I'm going public, public and proud, and I just feel like people that will almost be like, oh, you're not going private, You're not having an obstetrician. Was at zambrero Is, my local Zambreros, and they're so nice in there, and I mentioned that you guys are both pregnant, and they even asked me what obstetrician you guys are going through, And I thought it was so funny. I didn't even know that was a question, Like I just the thing that's that I find so shocking is that everyone has an opinion on it, the judgment, I think, and everyone talks about mum shaming. I think that people get shamed as soon as they become pregnant. People start judging every aspect. Something that's also shocked me is in the first trimestera just how many out of pocket expenses there are for all of the expensive scans, like they hit all at the one time, Like it's just crazy. I mean, we had a scan at oh I think it was ten weeks just because they too much information, but just because my periods weren't that regular. They wanted to actually find out how old the baby, how many weeks it was, So yeah, I mean, once you start doing three or four scans in the first trimester, it gets really expend As I told you, so, if I think you're now at the moment when if you're in the public system, you get passed over to your midwife group and from then on, I don't even I don't think I've paid anything except like twenty dollars at the hospital for the opioids. Well, that makes me feel a bit better, but yeah, it's I mean, then you're just paying a lot for all the babies. I recently had a midwife appointment. It was actually an appointment that got moved towards the doctor because I asked if to have an elective cesarean And my goodness, they make you feel bad about that, like the amount of things they read out and you've got to sign your life away, And I just think, why is there so much judgment over how women choose to give birth? Like I have obviously thought about this. I know the risks, and I know that this is something that is better in the long run for me to do it. This way. I actually, yeah, I have an issue with that too, because I was too scared to ask originally for an elective cesarean, because I found there was judgment, particularly from the midwives, because I think that they really like to push in quotation marks the natural process, and I just say, and it's not. I think it's wrong to call it a natural birth way. Yes I know, but I'm saying from their perspective, like, you really feel like they don't think it's natural, and you actually get to a point where you're like, am I even allowed to have this? But you are? So if anyone's listening who actually wants an elective cesarean, you can choose that and you don't even have to provide an actual reason if you don't want it. They quissed me, and I was like, even if it's not either actually have to accept you just you just have to stick to your guns if that's what you want. I think that's not even just with pregnancy. I think in any sort of medical environment, you always have to advocate for your own health and what's right for you. Yeah, well that's why we're going to wrap things up. But I've feel like off the back of this episode. People may have some more questions because it is quite an unusual situation where you're both pregnant pretty much at the same time. So if you do have any questions, send them in and we might do a follow up episode if you haven't already. We would really love if you could leave us a five star review because it honestly helps the podcast out so much. It helps reach new listeners. This episode was recorded on the traditional land of the Ghana people of the Adelaide Planes. We pay respect to elders past and present,