Speaker 1: Welcome back to TV Relo.
Speaker 2: This is my fifth bonus episode featuring a quick chat with I'm a celebrity's latest dejectee, singing sensation Paulinie. Australia fell in love with Paulini during her time on Australian Idol and over the years we have never let her forget some of those iconic hits and certainly not that gold dress. From there, this talented Ozzie took on the Australian music charts and had huge success, collaborating with a mix of her former Australian Idol alums with the band Young Divas.
Speaker 1: There certainly wasn't a club in town not playing their tracks and.
Speaker 2: I for one know all of the words not stopping there. Paulini wowed the country as Rachel Maron in the stage production of The Bodyguard, and I tell you what, there is a sexy, cool vibe with today's guest and an intelligence that goes beyond her years. Wearing her heart on her sleeve and offering a shot at a crayon to her camp mates, I'd like to welcome to the show Australia's favorite diva, Paulini.
Speaker 3: This industry is not only about your talent's.
Speaker 1: Pauline a light with Survivor.
Speaker 3: You just have to, you know, be confident in who you are and your talent reality singing, start a theatrical disa. I've got to remember that I'm still a real person at the end of the day, and that I've got to be true in myself.
Speaker 2: You should choose more appropriate clothes or shared some parents.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, did it really allowed me to share my stories? Because at the end of the day, but I don't like myself. You know, there's a problem there.
Speaker 2: Congratulations, paul Annie, you are the people's clean of the jungle, sad, mad, angry or glad that you're out of jungle.
Speaker 4: I'm glad actually, thank you for that.
Speaker 2: Is there something quite powerful about the I'm a celebrity experience where in some way you're forced to look back on your life. Did things surface that you'd bury kind of deep inside?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, one hundred percent. You know. One of the things that I struggled with was just being at.
Speaker 3: The downtime, sitting around, being in your thoughts, sitting with other people and trying to start conversations. And when you are in your head a lot you do think about things like that, and it was good and bad. You know, I struggled with it, but I also appreciated the moments, those moments where we chatted because it really allowed me to share my stories. And that was the beautiful thing about it is that, you know, you a little hesitant at first, You're like, oh, no, you know, what's everyone here to think about me if I do share this with them? But then as soon as everyone starts opening up about their own kind of experiences, you know, you start to let your walls down, you start to get comfortable with people. And I love that because I really wanted to share myself and I really wanted Australia to see who I was as a person.
Speaker 2: In some ways, it was quite heartbreaking to hear some of those stories of you know, bullying. How did those scars manifest or surface in your adult life?
Speaker 3: In my adult life, I didn't realize that some of the things that I was kind of manifesting we was from my childhood experiences, if you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: You know, I just kind of thought, oh, well, this is this is how I am, and that's it. But it isn't, you know, It's things that.
Speaker 3: You kind of go through when you're a child, that kind of will make you into who you are as an adult, especially if you haven't taken the time to fix it.
Speaker 2: We can't be what we can't see, you know, has become such an important way for us to understand, you know, the way in which we watch television. I really think that we've come a long way with some parts of cultural diversity. Is there something more that we can do to make people feel more represented properly on screen?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, We've got to talk about these things. I think that's the key, you know, the keys like talking about it and not feeling ashamed to talk about it. And we have to have people who are on like, you know, people who are in our positions, you know, like you have a group of celebrities in the jungle in one place and on primetime TV.
Speaker 4: That is like the perfect setting to discuss these things, like that whole Black Lives Many thing happened. It really hit home for me and I bought that's a lot of.
Speaker 2: You know, celebrity is something of a difficult beast to navigate at the best of times. How have you learned to cope with, you know, the intrigue and fascination that we've had with you over the last twenty years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've I learned to cope with that. I've got to remember that I'm still a real person at the end of the day, and that I've got to be true in myself and always honor that, because at the end of the day, if I don't like myself, you know, there's a problem there. You really have to just keep it real with who you are and know who you are as a person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, can we get real for a second about something? And I'm so proud of you as a human with the way that you've handled yourself. We've all made mistakes in our life, but it's the way in which we own those mistakes that obviously shape our future. You've come out the other side of that, which is powerful. What sort of advice do you have for young people that might have been through the same thing.
Speaker 3: I think the biggest thing is don't stay down there. You know, when people beat you down, do not stay down there. Pick yourself up and keep going. There's always a light at the other side.
Speaker 4: You just have to struggle a little bit to get there.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent.
Speaker 2: You know, it's been twenty years since Idle and do you think that Idle needs to learn from its mistakes, you know now that it's coming back. I mean, is there any format changes that you think that show needs to make when it resurfaces in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 4: Wow, that's an interesting question. See.
Speaker 3: What I loved about Idle, right is I loved that it was quite raw in its setting. So, I mean, you watch all of the shows now and there's a lot of things happening on stage. If you have downs is you have people flying across from them, the roof.
Speaker 4: And all of that stuff.
Speaker 3: And the one thing that I loved about Idol was the rawness of it, and I hope that they keep.
Speaker 1: That just as Australian Idol.
Speaker 3: We're in the Gangnet green room and I'm standing next to a woman who looks absolutely a million bucks Paulini. He looks fabulous on it.
Speaker 2: Hows it feel standing here hearing the crowd outside ready to go on?
Speaker 3: I'm just excited, you know, I mean, just looking at just hearing the crowd out there go off. I really do hope that they keep the warmness of the show. And I guess more about the contestants, you know, than like maybe the judges I don't know what I change about IDOL.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure whether maybe the only thing that they could change is.
Speaker 3: Make sure like check in on all of the contestants later on, you know, and just not sure everyone's okay mentally, physically, all of that stuff.
Speaker 2: What about those judges? Would you allow those judges to come back with you? Reckon we need new judges? Or would you like to see Mark Holden and Marshall Hines and Dicko back up there?
Speaker 4: You know what, It would be so funny. But like, I mean, it would be funny to get them back. But I feel like that would.
Speaker 3: Be awesome if it was the same judges, Like seriously, I think.
Speaker 4: It would be hilarious. And you know, there's something about the three of them, Like I liked the three of them. It was a good group of people, you know, group of judges.
Speaker 3: Sorry, even though you know one of them totally criticized me about my goal just but still I love him.
Speaker 1: You know that moment has haunted you forever. It's like, I am not.
Speaker 4: Like people will never let it go. I'm like, get over the gold dress? What's up with that? But you know, I get it. I get it. I totally understand why they keep going back.
Speaker 2: To that, My partner, we can't play a song from Young Divs without following it up, you know, by going into the city and having a dance. What was that experience like working with those girls who were ultimately experiencing the same kind of journey, you know, a new start.
Speaker 3: To the Yes, Oh, that experience was exciting, scary, shocking, everything, like.
Speaker 4: We you know, be like I was what I age? Did?
Speaker 3: I think I was twenty three when I when I was in the Divas and imagine the other girls were younger than me, so you know, it was like it was it was insane, like all of the different experiences that we had, and you know, and like you said, you know, it was the beginning of our career. So we were like so passionate and just wanted to get out there, wanted to perform, and we never thought in our wildest dreams that the Divas would be as big as it was. Like that just kind of happened overnight and we were like, what the.
Speaker 4: Earth is happening here?
Speaker 3: You know, it was it was that whole experience was great. I got us touring together and sometimes we would fight and then sometimes you know, it would all be like a happy family and then someone wouldn't turn up to an interview. It was insane.
Speaker 2: Are you still in contact with the girls? Like, would you ever come back and do it? Would you ever reunite?
Speaker 4: We've been that so many times. Look, I won't say no.
Speaker 3: To it, but like, I haven't seen any anyone, Like I haven't seen Ricky or M's or Kate.
Speaker 4: And yes, like we just I just haven't seen anyone lately.
Speaker 3: So yeah, you know, we try and keep in contact on social media, but that's about it really unless we're at.
Speaker 4: An event together. You know, we'll chat and sit down for a bit and have a.
Speaker 3: Drink, like and there's you know, there's been talk about like making a show out of it.
Speaker 4: So yeah, you aren't the only one, you know.
Speaker 2: Just another thing was really interesting was in the show you were sort of talking about, you know, relationships, and you know, you were saying, at one point, you know, one of the relationships went bad. You know, did you ever imagine doing something like The Bachelorette? Because I think that show would be perfect for you. I mean, I'm just plunking out there. I'm just putting it out there.
Speaker 4: Thanks Mab. Look, I won't say no to what I mean they I don't want to.
Speaker 3: Be dealing with any like kids here, no little no book is I just I don't have the time and I just need to find me a good man who has a good heart and has a job and is going to love me for me, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So what about football players?
Speaker 4: Oh my god, yes.
Speaker 3: But they have to be like really like gentlemen, and there's not a lot of them out there.
Speaker 2: I'm subscribed. I'm just going to ring Channel ten now. Beth mccarvey, we found you a show getting back to ims levity just before I let you go. You know, the format had really changed. It really changed from you know the fact that COVID had affected it. But there was a nominations process where you had the chance to nominate. Could you say who you would have given one point to save and one point to evict?
Speaker 4: Oh? Oh dimn you asking me for names?
Speaker 2: Yeah, one point to say at one point to a vict Maybe Adam and Si so Adam and Simon for the evict And who would you give one point to say to say?
Speaker 4: I would probably go Jack.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, you know he's kind of your bestie.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, he and I were very close in there, So, yeah, who's going.
Speaker 1: To win this thing? By the way, I mean, really you should have a good idea at this stage.
Speaker 4: Look, I think I feel like in my spirit, I feel like it's either Jess or Grant. Yeah, yeah, I feel like.
Speaker 1: To be happy with either of those.
Speaker 4: To be honest, yes, I think so. I'll be happy with either of them too.
Speaker 3: You know, they're beautiful, there's such They're bloody awesome.
Speaker 1: Absolutely loved having this chat with you.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you remember this, but the last time I saw you, we were dragged to the bar by someone we both didn't know to have shots at the bar. I think it was tequila or Blacks and Booker. I can't wait really And then oh, it was at the Emerson in Melbourne.
Speaker 1: You just performed at like an.
Speaker 4: LGBT God, I remember, and we.
Speaker 1: Were standing at the bar.
Speaker 2: Neither of us had even spoken that evening, but to Yes sort of dragged us over and we were kind of like, hi, Hi, anyway, you did these shots, didn't flinch and I had these shots and looked like I was going to spew.
Speaker 1: And then the fact that you didn't flinch has made me.
Speaker 2: It sat with me because watching you drink those disgusting drinks and seeing your arm, they must have been pretty bad.
Speaker 3: Oh, trust me, like on TV doesn't look as bad as it was. Like the smell first of all, like that is that is a totally different thing to itself. Like that that smell was insane, Like I've never smelled anything like that in my life. And then to hear what these things are, it is, you know, revolting, and for it to like you see it and it's all mixed and mashed together and it's just like, oh my god.
Speaker 4: And there was I think the last drink that I had had like dog hairs on it. I was like, are you sicking serious?
Speaker 3: You're like that cannot be. You can't do that to a human being. How are you supposed to doubt like drink that you can't?
Speaker 4: You can't. But you know I did it. So I'm very proud of myself.
Speaker 2: Well you should be proud. You should be so proud of your time than he was so fantastic.
Speaker 1: And so.
Speaker 2: I couldn't talk to you forever A conversations all experience.
Speaker 4: Oh I could I could too. I could see your a chat to you too. This is awesome.