Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud Order Order Kerney Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money, She's on the Money.
Speaker 4: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money the podcast Millennials who want financial freedom. Welcome back to another one of our money diaries where I get the absolute pleasure of sitting down with one of our She's on the Money community members and talking to them all about their money story. Let's jump straight into it, because this week we got a message and it sounded exactly like this. Hi, She's on the Money team. I wanted to share my money story to inspire those struggling with consumer debt. From a young age, I was exposed to bad debts my family had. This led me to believe that as long as I made the minimum repayments, it didn't matter how much I borrowed. At eighteen, I applied for multiple buy now pay later accounts without considering the consequences, even though I had no job and relied on Centrelink payments. I became irresponsible with money, maxed out my zip pay and zip money, and couldn't pay off my after pay account, leading to debt collectors chasing me. I was a victim of lifestyle creep and never had more than five hundred dollars in saving, which I often spent on shopping or bills. In twenty twenty three, I decided to take control. I got a job earning sixty five thousand dollars a year. I started paying down my debts one at a time, and now at twenty four, I'm consumer debt free and I've deleted all my buy now pay later accounts. Money, Diarist, that is so exciting.
Speaker 2: Thank you, I'm so so excited. I'm sure you can understand the weight lifted off my shoulders every time I think you know my debts, Yeah, not having to pay for it and actually having money left over from paying all my bills.
Speaker 4: Obviously, no one goes into debt on purpose, right, Like you don't get buy now, pay later accounts, so that you've got debt collectors chasing you. Like not one person would say that's exactly what I wanted to be. But then you end up there, and I think that once you are there, it feels overwhelming and all consuming and you just don't feel like you can get ahead. But the anxiety that you feel around your phone or you checking your emails or your mailbox, like you just know that you're not in the right position. Now that that's been lifted, Can you imagine yourself going back there?
Speaker 2: Absolutely not, Absolutely not. I think now that I'm on the other side, I often, you know, look back and look at my eighteen year old self and be like, why did you even do that? What was the reason? But I think now it's it's given me, I guess, so much, a lesson to just look back to whenever I think about wanting to get back on that. Yeah, it's such a great feeling and I want to stay here forever.
Speaker 4: I love that and I feel that because that's exactly what I went through. Let's jump in a little bit deeper because I want to ask so many questions about your money story. But before we get there, money Diarist, if I asked you to give your money habits a grade from A through to F, what would you say they are today?
Speaker 2: I would say that I'm a CS Ooh.
Speaker 4: Okay, tell me a bit more about that. Let's dive a little bit. Can you tell me a bit more about your money story?
Speaker 2: Absolutely so. Growing up, when it comes to debts, my family always said, as long as it's being paid, it doesn't really matter. So obviously I took that to heart, and when I turned eighteen, all I wanted was a credit card and or buy now, pay later apps so that I could start shopping. Because my belief was that it was free money as long as I was making the minimum repayments. And because of this mindset, I, like I said, I quickly found myself drowning in so much debt and wrapped up ten thousand dollars worth of consumer debts, and for years I didn't know how I'd get out of it. I was constantly stressed about money, and I became super insecure about money and pretty much attached my worth to those debts. And then I met my partner, who showed me a whole different way of thinking about finances. I remember his mum telling me, you know, don't get a credit card unless you know how to use it responsibly. And at the time, I had just maxed out on a new credit card and felt so embarrassed.
Speaker 4: And You're like, yeah, yeah, totally, yeah, I agree with you. I would never.
Speaker 2: Do you know what's funny you say that, because that's exactly what I was saying, like, oh, that's that's exactly what I learned at And then in my head I'm like, oh my god. Yeah, I'm like, there's absolutely no way.
Speaker 4: It's such a funny position to be in now that you look back on it, right, because I was exactly the same, Like I remember my friends being like, oh, I would never get a credit card, and I'm sitting there being like, yeah, so neither, of course, of course. And I literally just signed up to a person alone.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know where we were, but yeah, she said that, And that stuck to me because obviously I had a credit card and I was applying for a higher credit limit because I'm like, oh, I've already maxed out, like I want to use more and in my head, I'm like, yeah, no, honestly, nobody should have a credit card if they're not using it responsibly. And then there I am applying for a higher credit limit, so the rules don't.
Speaker 4: Apply to our right, Like it's not to do as I say, not as I do.
Speaker 2: Kind of fine, exactly exactly.
Speaker 4: And I think that's what's so funny about it, right, Like, obviously being in deck sucks, there's nothing funny about it. But now you're on the flip side, you can kind of reflect on your own actions. And I can almost guarantee if you and I were having that chat while you were applying and I said, should people have a credit card, you'd be like, viv, of course not, that's really irresponsible. And then you're like, give me two minutes. I'm just going to fill in this application exactly, and I'll be right back with you exactly.
Speaker 2: I come home and yeah, I applied.
Speaker 4: It's until you can kind of break that cycle and something happens. Because I think that that's why I don't regret being in that debt, Like I feel like a lot of the time people like I wish I never went through that, and like, yeah, I wish I had that money back too. I really wish that I didn't do that, But that's maybe why now I see how important it is, I see how deeply it impacts people. It's why I get to do what I do every day. And I think it's why I value what we have now even more because I know what it's like to not be in that situation. Do you think that that's now part of your narrative?
Speaker 2: One hundred And like you said, you know, some people, when they get out of debt and you know, be financially responsibile, they look back and say, I wish I had never gone down that route. But for me, I was actually so so grateful that that was my situation because I was able to really, I guess, break down that generational trauma in my family regarding debts and be the first person in my family to say, you know, we don't need to have debts to be able to have whatever we want. We can save towards it and we can really have, you know, those smart goals to be able to get whatever we want. So you know, I, I'm really really grateful, even though I was so stressed and I didn't know how I was going to get out of it, you know, you can still prove that you can get out of it. It takes a lot of time, it takes a lot of hard work, but if you really want to, you can definitely do it.
Speaker 4: Looking back on it, do you feel like that was a really really hard step, because obviously, when you grow up with a certain lifestyle, stepping beyond that and doing something that you've got no experience with is really overwhelming and really daunting. Like what what did you experience growing up? So, I know in your money story you said that you know, growing up, you know, you were exposed to bad debts that your family had. What was their take? How did they act around money?
Speaker 2: So growing up, I guess there was already some sort of like a buy now, pay later situation. But because I grew up in the Philippines, we would have people come to our house with like magazines and then you would pick out whatever products you want and then they'd bring it over to the house and then you'll pay it in installments. And so that's what I was exposed to most of the time, with you know, my my mom or my aunties would be going through like do shopping on that magazine and just check whatever they want and I, you know, money was never really an issue for them because again, like they said, you know, as long as we can pay it off, that's fine, and so you just keep on going and keeping going, and growing up, we never really spoke about money. All I knew at the time was that my mum and my dad went to work to provide for us, and I never felt the struggle because obviously there's always food on the table, there's always you know, there's roof over our heads, and so we were never taught anything about managing money. We were never taught about not having any debts. Especially in my country. If you owe someone and that someone ask you the money that you owed, they'd actually get angry because I know that I owe you money, but like you don't stop asking me. I'll give it to you when I want to type thing. So it's a really really really toxic environment or really toxic mindset when it comes to debts. Back home, I wouldn't say it's, you know, part of the culture, but I'm just saying for my family, that's what I was exposed to. So when I was being chased by debt collectors from after pay, I actually in my head at the time I'm like, just ignore them, they'll go away. But being in a different country, it's actually really really different because they won't go away, just absolutely not. So yeah, it's so different. It's different cultures, different mindsets that I've been exposed to. And I think when I finally you know, I guess it was like a switch last year when I turned twenty three, when my partner and I decided to move out of our family homes and rent a place together. Suddenly I had real responsibilities. You know, our bills I never had to pay for when I lived with my parents, And that's when I found myself really really struggling and the transition for me was tough. So I had to obviously do something about it. And yeah, I just told myself be consumer debt free by before you turn twenty five.
Speaker 4: I love this and you've definitely achieved that. Yeah, how good. I Also, while you were talking, I was thinking about how times have changed, because you were talking about the magazine coming around, and while we didn't have that for a lot of products, we definitely had things when I was growing up, like Avon, like so they had like the book and it was kind of like cosmetics, and you did exactly the same thing. And yeah, I feel like over time, being able to spend money and get into debt has just got more and more accessible. So even if your parents were in debt and they were making the minimum repayments and they were let's just say, financially irresponsible, and you were experiencing that, I feel like, potentially, historically it was not as bad. And I won't say it was not crippling, like it must have been really hard and money was stressful. But the world is so much bigger now, Like I can do that with literally any product at any time of the day, Like I don't need to wait for a magazine to come to my house. I can just jump online. Like at the moment moneyed diarrest, I'm breastfeeding, So like at three, if I am on my phone while breastfeeding because I don't want to fall asleep, I'm like, oh, that looks nice. I'll have that, Like it's a slippery slope. I can literally do it. Twenty four seven. Absolutely, I feel like now we can get ourselves in even more trouble. And I just feel like that isn't spoken about enough because we talk about these generational cycles, and you're correct, it was, you know, a toxic mindset, and you've moved past that, But like the slope is really slippery for us. If we are in this position where that's not that bad, no worries, we fall down so many more stairs than our parents were ever able to because once you maxed out, zippay, don't worry. You can go get after pay. Don't worry about after pay. You can get a credit card. Oh, don't worry about a credit card. You can get a personal loan. Oh, there's so many options. Don't worry about it. And I feel like that compounding is something that our parents never had to go through, and now that you know, people like you and I in our generation, we're doing it and then we get so crippled by it that we just draw a line in the sand and go absolutely not never again, because our parents never got to that point where it was as crippling as it is for us. Do you feel like that's a part of the narrative as well?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And I think the most important thing as well to that I realized and I learned as well, is that once you get out of debt, it doesn't mean that you're fully fully out of debt, because if your mindset is still the same as before when you were in debt, you'll continue to go back to that cycle and it'll be like a rotating door of getting out of debt, going back into debt, getting out of debt, and going back into debt. And I think the most important thing to also, you know, keep yourself motivated to get out of debt is to really think about your goal and your why as to why you want to be out of debt and why you're working so hard to be out of debt. Is because I finally paid off my zip pay. There was a time where I was sitting down on the couch and I was so bored, just so easy, right, Yeah, I was so bored, and I you know, I'm like, oh, I want to I want to buy this pair of shoes. But I only had like what twenty dollars in my account after paying off all of my bills, and I was like, do you know what, I'll just apply on zipay. I'll just spend one hundred dollars on zip pay and then pay it off and then close it again. And you know, I had to catch myself really quickly like no, because that's not where we are able to Yeah, that's not who we are we are anymore, So it takes a lot of discipline to not go back to that after just coming out of that situation.
Speaker 4: One hundred percent. And because we are humans, humans inherently do not like change. So going back to a cycle that you know, even though you don't love it, you know it. You go, that's predictable, I know exactly what will happen. I can you know, work with that outcome. It's hard to go from there to a completely different mindset of going, well, what do you mean? And this layer of instant gratification versus delayed gratification comes to it. It's been an instant gratification Gali, for your whole life. You were always used to just getting it, and now you've got to wait, like what do you mean? Like I'm not used to that. Like that doesn't feel good. I don't know why we're here. So it can be so hard to slip back into the cycle. I want to know. You mentioned that having clear goals and having a clean mindset makes you know the whole thing work right, So tell me what are your big money goals? What are you working towards?
Speaker 2: So I have a few big money goals. So my big money goal is to have a fully funded emergency fund. Like I said in my entry, I never ever had an emergency fund or never even had a savings account over five hundred dollars, So I really really want to have a fully funded emergency fund, and also pay off my remaining car loan. And then my partner and I would like to start traveling, so I'd like to start building a travel fund bucket as well and put money towards that too. And then lastly is to save and fund my side hustle and hopefully hopefully grow that to the point where that can be my full time job in the future.
Speaker 4: Oh how inciding. I'll ask you a little bit more about that. But I feel like emergency fund, fully funded, perfect goal. I love that. Tell me where are we at with that?
Speaker 2: To be completely honest, where are our fifty dollars?
Speaker 4: So you do have an emergency fund?
Speaker 2: Slay slay, Yeah, yeah, we'll we'll say, yeah, it's not zero. At least it's not zero. Yeah, we're at fifty dollars. But now, because we have quite a bit of traveling to do this year, I had to spend quite a bit on necessities for that.
Speaker 4: But that's epic because you're not in debt and you have an emergency fund like the structure exists, and for most of us, that's the hardest part to set up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, adore that.
Speaker 4: All right, let's go to a really quick break on the flip side. I want to ask you a bit more about this hide hustle you mentioned and how you're planning to take it to full time. And I also want to know a little bit more of the pervy details around that, car Loan, So don't go anywhere, guys. All right, Money Diarist, we are back and we are having honestly the best chat. I feel like Money Doars are my favorite because I get to make friends with all of the diarists that come on the show, and today is literally no different. But let's start right back in. I want to know what do you do for work and how much money do you earn?
Speaker 2: So I work in talent acquisitions ooh fancy, Yeah, specifically in the early childhood industry where a higher early childhood professionals and all levels from trainees to teachers, and currently I earn seventy five thousand dollars after tax.
Speaker 4: Oh, I love this. I loving your money story. You said I got a job earning sixty five thousand dollars a year in twenty twenty three. Is that a ten thousand dollars pay rise in literally twelve months?
Speaker 1: A girl?
Speaker 4: What how good is that? Did you negotiate that? Did you just take on a different role? Did they come to you and say, money, diarist, we're just going to pay you more? Like what happened?
Speaker 2: So really really interesting story. Actually when I I think it was started this year. I decided to leave for personal reasons and it was to fund my side hustles. But something's happened and I ended up finding myself going back to that job. And I pretty much just spoke to my old manager. And because we have a really really good relationship and I left on really great terms, I go back to her and I said, hey, look, I'd love to come back. And I said, you know, if there's any room for some sort of you know, raise, I would be happy to discuss. And I didn't tell her any figures, I didn't tell her how much I wanted. I just said, you know, if there's any room for you to, I guess give me a raise. That would be amazing, no matter how much. And she came back to me with a raise and a promotion, which is.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry what you were like, hey, I quit bye, and then you turned around and said, hey, I want to come back, but I'm more expensive now. And they were like, yeah, sure, come this way. Yeah, do you want your emotion while we're here, We'll give you a better job, hopefully you'll stay this time.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I realized that my side hustles wasn't going to be my goal at this stage.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I went back to them, and I was really embarrassed at the time, but then you know, in this economy, girl, there's no need to be embarrassed. Just go back to them.
Speaker 4: There's nothing embarrassing about taking a chance and then going back and being like, hey, it didn't work out the way I thought it would. I really still like to be here. We don't have to burn bridges, Like how is that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they were very very amazing about it. So, yeah, I got from so I was a talent acquisition coordinator and then they promoted me to talent advisor with a ten K raise.
Speaker 4: Oh I love this, this is very very sexy. Tell me a bit more about these side hustles, Like obviously it didn't go full time just yet, but at the start of the episode, you said, maybe one day. What do you do? How does it work?
Speaker 2: I make candles? Yeah, so I had actually started it during COVID, but I had to stop because I guess I just lost passion for it at the time, and I want to get back into my career, which was an early childhood educator. And now I guess, you know, the passion is still there and I really would like to do it, but I wanted to do it correctly, and I didn't want to get into any loans or any debts just to fund it, and so I really want to save up for it. And when I'm ready, which we're actually going to be launching soon, but I'm still going to keep my full time job, I will be going into it and just work on my side hustle while focusing on my nine to five at this stage.
Speaker 4: I love that will send me a link because while we'll keep it anonymous on here, if you hypothetically see a candle business, it may or may not be someone that's been a money diarist. How good, Yeah, money direst I want to know what do you think about investment. Are you investing? Are you not investing? What's the plan? Have you thought about it? How does that work?
Speaker 2: I love it? I absolutely do. I actually learned about investment through you and through listening to different podcasts, and so I have a Shareza's account. Unfortunately, last year I had to pull out all of my money out of that shares Ease account. But I've just started again this year, so currently I have seventy dollars in shares.
Speaker 4: Hold On, hold on, hold on, I'm hearing some negative mind frame stuff going on here. What do you mean unfortunately? Are you saying I actually had a Sharez's account. There was some cash in there and I got to pull it out to achieve a goal, or I got to pull it out to get me out of debt, and now I'm debt free. Like sorry, unfortunate. What was unfortunate about this?
Speaker 2: Actually, now that you rephrase that, it's not unfortunate. I got to take money out of my account because it actually grew quite a bit and I use that to pay off some of my debts and now without it.
Speaker 4: It's very sexy. That sounds elite, like that's I think what a lot of people want to hear. We don't want to be like, oh, unfortunately I had to get rid of something.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 4: Sorry, you're saying that you may money from investing and then that money that you made helped you get out of debt.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Very that's hot. I like hearing that. But you still have a Chazya's account. Yes, is there a bigger investing plan at play, like what does the future look like?
Speaker 2: Yes? So I wouldn't say that I'm an expert just yet, but I'm definitely learning and learning and learning. I think it's a constant learning experience when it comes to investing. But I do listen to a lot of podcasts, you know, I read about different ETFs, and at this stage, I want to hopefully put two hundred and fifty dollars a month into my Chazy's account and spread that out to Currently I have S and P five hundred, so I want to put more money into that and then the rest. I'm sort of leaning more towards like clean energy ETFs or anything I guess natural and eco friendly. So I like that.
Speaker 4: How good she knows what she wants and she's going to chase it absolutely When you download the Cheza's app. I get lots of people messaging me going the oh my gosh, I downloaded Chazy's. Now what And obviously I can't give you advice onto what to purchase. But when you downloaded the app, did you know what you were going to purchase? Or did you download the app and then have to do some research after? Like how did you come to purchase the SMP five hundred. I know it's a really popular one in our community for those of you playing along at home. It's basically the top five hundred companies in an ETF, so it's well diversified. You don't have to you know, five five hundred different shares to get access to five hundred different companies, which, okay, that's really easy and really sexy, but like, how did you choose that? Why did you choose that?
Speaker 2: To be honest, it was from just watching videos, from watching tiktoks and also just I guess getting to know. The return over over the years in s and P five hundred has always been I would say positive, So it's not like I'm gonna obviously, like you know, put money in it in one year and then pull it out of the neck I think now that I'm completely debt free, I can be more you know, committed to it. And I guess, you know, more long term for me would be S and P five hundred. So yeah, I think I learned from YouTube, learn from TikTok, and I thought, yeah, might as well.
Speaker 4: I love this? Can I be real pervy? And it's just because like I love following money content creators? Were you following on TikTok that we should be following that gives a bus on this?
Speaker 2: Like you? I listen to girls that invest.
Speaker 4: I love her, Yeah, sim Is there is amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's amazing.
Speaker 4: We love seeing.
Speaker 2: I also listen to Tash invests. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah great, and also she's on the money okay slay.
Speaker 4: But like, we don't post nearly enough content talking about this, and I need to get back on TikTok, but I kind of feel old there because I just can't keep up with the trends. I really can't. But then also I'm always like has it been too long? Like should I just quit and run away? Like you know, when you just can't get back in the groove of something, like I just I pick up my phone and I'm like, not today, Satan not today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, can I've been.
Speaker 4: Doing that for more than a year. That's so loudy of me.
Speaker 2: Completely understand that. But yeah no, I actually I listen a lot to obviously that she's on the Money podcast, especially when it comes to learning about investing. One oh one never hurts to refresh my knowledge about that.
Speaker 4: I love it all right. I want to know a little bit more about debt. Before you said I am consumer debt free. I have no buy now, pay later accounts anymore, shut all of those. But you did mention you have a car loan, so is that your only debt? And can you tell me a bit more about that? I want to know the perfect details, like do we have a huge car? How much is there? Like what color is she?
Speaker 2: I'm glad you asked that because I actually have a really Some people find it funny when I tell them about my car story, but I think it's a manifestation queen.
Speaker 4: Oh, I love these.
Speaker 2: My dream car before was a Range Rover, so I wanted Arrange Rover with red interior and interior. That is so niche Yeah, so I for some reason, I just like the white exterior and then red interior.
Speaker 4: Get it. I get it. She's a queen who knows what she likes.
Speaker 2: But I obviously didn't have range Rover money. So I got the next best thing, which was a Toyota Corolla.
Speaker 4: And so similar. I get it, I get it.
Speaker 2: I love it. It's very reliable. I love her. She's really cute. But I went to the dealer. It was during COVID and I went to the dealer and I said, I don't know how we're going to make this happen, but I want a white exterior in a red interior.
Speaker 4: So, oh my gosh, they would have been like in a Corolla bang.
Speaker 2: And so I got the top of the range Corollas that are I think it was twenty twenty one, and it was red and black interior, which is you know, close.
Speaker 4: Off, close good and also like, I feel like a red interior is so niche that they wouldn't be many of those at all. Is she white?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, she's got.
Speaker 4: The white car with the red interior. Yeah, like Manifestation Bran, but miss Jessicci would be very proud of you.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Yeah. So I'm not the same brand, But in my head, the more I drive this car, the more I think I'm driving a range Rover, so you know, maybe it's going to come soon. I know that this is going to sound incredibly entitled, but I used to drive a range Rover, and I can tell you that they are not the best cars to drive, very iconic like, and I felt like when I bought this car, oh my gosh, all of my tumbler dreams came true. Like ever since I was like sixteen, I used to save and pin all the images of the hot girl with the range Rover and all I wanted, like I wanted the range Rover evoke black on black. And when I finally had what I called big girl money and was relatively irresponsible, I went and got one. She brought me nothing but problems. We do not have her anymore. But I feel like you dodged a bullet, babe, Like.
Speaker 4: I don't think I've met anyone who's owned arrange Rover and been like, yeah, very great car, doesn't cost me anything to service, Like no one says that. So I got it. I realized the errors of my way, and then we've moved on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and now now that I've got my Corolla, my my little Corolla, I love her. Don't want to let it go. So, you know, I think I strugg.
Speaker 4: A good car exactly, someone that's going to be there, be consistent. Tell me more about how much she costs. What's your car loan at? How did that work?
Speaker 2: So my carlone is sitting at seventeen thousand dollars at the moment with an interest rate of two point seventy one percent, So I locked that in during COVID.
Speaker 4: Sorry, what for a car loan? Yes to you, yep, that's very attractive, especially in this economy.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I'm so grateful. Oh my gosh.
Speaker 4: I mean, if you're going to get a car loan, that's the one I would want.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, absolutely. And it's funny because I didn't know anything about interest rates before.
Speaker 4: To me, it was so you didn't even know how good you had it.
Speaker 2: No, No, I didn't until my partner said, you know, told me about his interest rate, and I thought.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, why would you do that?
Speaker 2: Exactly criminal? But yeah, no. I asked my financial dealer and I asked, you know, how much is my interest rate on this car, which is to no p sos I called three point seventy one percent. I'm like, oh cool, okay, cool, cool, cool. We are good.
Speaker 4: Ye, we're not going to be changing that. And how much did you lend to begin with?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think it's around the thirty Yeah, thirty five.
Speaker 4: How good's that? You've really been knocking it on the head.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It was during COVID, so it was the best time to negotiate, Yeah, totally. Yeah, before I even learned how to negotiate properly. I think I got that car from forty down to thirty five.
Speaker 4: Oh, very nice.
Speaker 2: I didn't put down any yeah down payment.
Speaker 4: How good is that? I love that for us? Yeah, So what's the plan to getting rid of this rest of the seventeen thousand dollars owing in your car?
Speaker 2: So, so next year we're planning to move back into my partner's parents' house, and that'll actually drastically put all like our responsibilities down to just paying rent or board. Yeah. I'm hoping to aggressively pay for that seventeen thousand next year and hopefully not have that on my record anymore by the time I turn twenty six and have a fully paid off car.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, I love that. So tell me a bit more about this move, because moving into your partner's parents' house, big move if you've moved out by yourselves, but also an airpic financial decision because you can kind of like cut down all your costs save a whole heap. Like it is a massive privilege to be able to do that. But do you have like a game planning You're like, all right, on this day, we're moving in, and then we're gonna budget and say, like what's the ultimate outcome and the decision around or I guess the reason why you're moving back in with them? Obviously money, I would assume.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, because, like I said, my partner and I are planning to travel. I would love to travel the world and have a obviously a fully funded emergency fund and all kinds of savings. So we've decided to move back in with his parents, and they were very very kind enough to obviously offer that as well, and very fortunate that I get along with both his mum and his dad, so very very grateful for that. And we wanted to move back in with them because we wanted to save up so that we're able to travel without having to worry about the financial side of things one hundred percent.
Speaker 4: And like, if you're going to be away, how good I mean, I think that's the ultimate dream, right Like I think anyone who's listening that's moved back in with their parents, that'd be like, look, it's really good, but sometimes you need a bit of a break. I feel like that's true for housemates as well, Like, let's be honest, anyone living in the same space, you just need a bit of a break from them sometimes. Yeah, of course, So how good to move back in and then be able to do the travel along the way like you've cracked the code, babe it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I love them very Yeah, and we're very fortunate to have two sets of very supportive parents. My parents are very supportive, so we're his, so we're we're in a really, really lucky situation as well. So yeah, really good love.
Speaker 4: I know that you've changed your money story over the last few years, gotten out of debt, but what do you reckon your best money habit is?
Speaker 2: I would say that my best money habit is I've mastered the art of delayed gratification. Unless I absolutely need something, can.
Speaker 4: You please teach me because I have not? Did you just see me? For those of you playing along, I had to have a brief intermission because someone offered me a donut.
Speaker 2: That's different because that's free.
Speaker 4: So yeah, it's true.
Speaker 2: It's true.
Speaker 4: It was money. We I'm not money.
Speaker 2: We there you go.
Speaker 4: Thank you for reframing that for me. But tell me more about how to work into this delayed gratification.
Speaker 2: I actually learned that from my partner. Unless I absolutely need something, then I give, you know, myself a few days, if not a week to really think about if I want something or not, and more often than not, I actually forget about it. So I like to think that, you know, I'm saving myself so much money from not going crazy berserk on shopping spree if I don't really need it.
Speaker 4: I love that, But what was the first step in I guess actually practicing delayed gratification because I think that so many of us would be like, oh my gosh, this money dirist is so right. I need to, you know, think about what I'm spending. I'm going to put twenty four hours between me and my spending. I'm going to listen to V like V is very do as I say, not as I do, just for the record, But I think we need to know what was the first time that that was really pressed? Because I feel like, we can make all the biggest plans in the entire world, and I think we all do, but then you have to actually implement them. I think for me, I guess when I realized that I didn't really need a lot of things was when I was decluttering my bedroom and my bathroom. I had so many unopened skin care products. I had so many clothes that still had tags on them, and I thought, I.
Speaker 2: Actually don't need any of these. Why did I even buy them? And so I think that made me realize that, like, I better start practicing delayed gratification, otherwise I'm going to be stuck with all these you know products close everything that I actually never needed in the first place.
Speaker 4: And it could have had some tash in my bank.
Speaker 2: Exactly, could have had cash in my bank. And now I can't even sell them because they're had a trend. But I'm still keeping them, never know, because trends always come back around.
Speaker 4: That's true. That's true. Give it ten years, but give it any investment, give it ten.
Speaker 2: Years their assets.
Speaker 4: I love this for us. I love that what do you think is your worst money?
Speaker 2: Haveit easily. My budgeting, I would budget for something and then still go over budget. It's definitely a learning experience, but I think it's just having to allocate money or enough money into a bucket. You know, I guess mastering how much money are put in that bucket and not going over budget.
Speaker 4: What does that look like? So have you sat down and gone all right, I'm going to create a spreadsheet and I'm going to outline these buckets that you're talking about. And I think that I need, you know, one hundred dollars in that bucket each month. But then you blow it, Like how are you allocating your budget such that it's either working or not working at the moment.
Speaker 2: I think for me it's I still sort of am still very very strict with my money to the point where it can be unhealthy. Like for example, I would give myself fifty dollars for shopping, and then I'd go to Target and I'd find I think fifty dollars anyway, Yeah, nothing's fifty dollars, Like one T shirt is fifty.
Speaker 4: Dollars, So it's insane, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah. We used to go to km up before, and you know, that's where we would go shopping, and fifty dollars was sometimes enough. But now it's you know, you only got one shirt and go home. So yeah, I would, you know, be super restrictive. I think for me is the word when it comes to my budgeting, like because my partner and I like to go out, you know, to eat at different restaurants or like just just eat really and then I'd give myself sixty dollars to eat, but really would end up spending like one hundred dollars.
Speaker 4: I mean brunch these days, there is a minimum of seventy dollars in my head, Like it's become insane, like, yeah, something's got to give. I just I cannot conceptualize how this happens, like and if you've got sixty bucks for dinner, Like, let's break this down. Most main courses nowadays. And this is probably very entitled from my perspective and a reflection of the places that I go. So it doesn't mean it's true to everybody. It's just my experience, right, but mains are like thirty dollars, Like you walk in and that's a main meal each that's no drinks, that's no entree. And like my husband and I I would say we're pretty good at eating out. I don't know about you and your partner, but like if we want to eat out, we like to make the most of the time. So often we'll share an entree, have a maine each, and then share a dessert. So then it was kind of like two courses. We didn't have three courses each, which to be honest, I usually can't get through. But then we also want to have a wine, and maybe that's like two wines because I don't want to you know, just go out for dinner, have a drink, and then like go straight home. Like this, now that I'm a mum as well, I'm like make the most of his time. It's maybe like two drinks each. That's easy one hundred dollars plus. Like it's wild, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, absolutely, even like the drinks alone, like cocktails, they would cost like twenty four dollars, twenty dollars and that insane. Yeah, it's insane. And because I'm a cocktail girlie, I would have you know, peanut colada with my dinner, and so that already is over sixty dollars for myself alone exactly. So it's yeah, I still have trouble budgeting, especially with you know, with shopping and dinner dining, out and all that stuff.
Speaker 4: All right, I can fix that for you in literally ten minutes. I mean it'll take you more than ten minutes. But I'm going to gift you our money Masterclass because that's going to like nail all of that. Like I'm listening to like your issue, and obviously I could be like, hey, I can gift you it for the budget, but we have a video series inside of that that'll help you reflect on what you're spending and how to actually budget because it's so different for everybody. Like you and your partner might like a specific restaurant so you're able to really go, well, actually, I like this restaurant. We want to go every single month, and we know it costs this because we're creatures of habit and I'm never not going to order a peanut colada and the palma, like it's just going to happen every time. I know exactly what this means. And it can also help you be a bit flexible while still looking at the bigger picture, because like every year you on your Corolla are going to pay regio, you're gonna have to pay insurance, Like we need to zoom out and capture those costs in addition, because I feel like I don't know about you, but even though I've budgeted for it, my red jot and insurance still surprises me, Like it pops up and I'm like, oh what, Like why is that here? Again? Like I feel like it happens every month, even though I pay on an annual basis, it just rolls around like time flies. So I feel like we need to budget for those things so that the cash is sitting there. Even though I've got the cash right now, it still surprises me. But also we want to make sure that we've got the right amounts in our fun buckets and the right amounts in our I call it in the course of Food, Fuel and Fun account because that's the account that I like, have a debit card, and I tap my debit card for things, and every single week, I know what my food, fuel and fun is going to cost me, and if I run out of that money, that's it. We're not going out for dinner. But the reason that works for me is that those bigger goals aren't compromised. So like your travel and your emergency fund and those things aren't going to be compromised if you go out for dinner with your partner and then go it blew over like we've made a buffer for that. And I think that that works really well, especially from my position as someone who has been in debt and is a little bit of an instant gratification Galie, even though I shouldn't be. So I'm going to gift you that. We'll work that out after.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Oh of course. But for those of you following along, I'm going to put a little cheeky discount code in the show notes because it would be rude to just gift it to one person. So we will do a little discount. But I feel like that's going to really work for you and put you back on track, like you're already killing it, but I think that'll turbocharge it. And so I'm excited.
Speaker 2: Thank you, same same. I'm really excited. I'm going to work on that tonight as soon as I get it.
Speaker 4: I love that. I'm really excited. You have to tell me how you go. We're running out of time very quickly. Money Diarist, at the start of this episode, you said, v I reckon, I'm a CS and I said, okay, that makes sense. Let's learn a little bit more about you. But you've changed your whole money story. You've just gone down to tell me how good you are at money, and like you have some of the clearest goals they've heard. Like when I said, oh, what are your goals, you off the bat were like, okay, cool. So I want a fully funded emergency fund. I want to pay off my car loan. My partner and I we're prioritizing travel, so I want to find time to you know, bump that a little bit up. We talked about investing, and you said, oh, look, the unfortunately I had to get rid of my investments. But then when we reframed it, it was because you were getting yourself out of debt and you'd made money that could go towards paying off your debts, and like, is that not the coolest thing ever? Like is that not really epic and putting you in the best possible position. So you're saying that investing got you out of debt in a way, like Sleigh love that for you. You talked about how accidentally I mean, I'm going to give you credit for this, but like it was an accident. How you have a really great interest rate on your car loan? Like two one percent in this economy. That is definitely worth riding home about. But you're also have reframed what is reasonable for you. We talked about range Rovers and how ridiculous they are as a car. They always break. We don't want a range Rover with a red interior. But you picked something that you know, still aligned to your style, still gave you the vibes you were after, but was actually within your budget. I love that your best money habit is still something that I can't master. You are good at delayed gratification. So we need to talk more because I'm still a little bit spendy, a little bit of a short term kind of girl. So I'm looking at you going Holy Moley, like this girl, she's got a great job, she's killing it. Are we really a C minus?
Speaker 2: I thought about that last night when I was writing down my money story, and I would still say strictly I'm a C minus because I have quite a few goals I need to achieve to justify your promotion. But I would say that I'm definitely, I guess going towards the bee the b.
Speaker 4: Are you're working towards it. You're like, no, no, no, I think I've been reasonable with myself. We've still got space to grow.
Speaker 2: I love that absolutely. I love that.
Speaker 4: I'm not going to argue with you, Money direst It has been a pleasure getting to know you, getting to share your story and learning literally so much so I really appreciate it and know that the community will so thank you for that. It's been amazing.
Speaker 2: Thanks Victoria, it's been lovely. Thank you so much.
Speaker 4: The advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial advice tailored towards your needs. Victoria, Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of Money SHOWPA, P E T Y L T D A B N three two one six four nine two seven seven zero eight A F S L four five one two eight nine