Speaker 1: Good a Peter Hally here, welcome to You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet? The Movie podcast, where I chat to a movie lover about a classic or beloved movie they haven't quite got around to watching until now. And today's guests Adam Christie, and I want to point out before we get to Adam and today's movie that this episode of You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet was recorded during lockdown, during this little pandemic that you might have heard about. So the audio quality is not quite up to this standard that we get when we record at Castaway Studios. This is where I'm recording the intro at this is this is what it sounds like. This is this is clean, it's crisp, it's classy. The audio that we did online it's good. We can still hear each other, you know, but you'll notice the difference. I just wanted to point that out. But other than that, I think you'll enjoy this chat. Frankly, my hear I know, give a damn well, I mean, it's pretty hairy and there it's Charlie's point, Charlie, don't sort.
Speaker 2: Charlie, you can't be serious.
Speaker 1: I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.
Speaker 2: Right now, don't seen nothing.
Speaker 1: Last year, before the world went crazy, I had the honor and the opportunity to go to Montreal and perform at the just the last festival. It was such a great time. It feels like five years ago. I got to perform at one of the galas, which was mc by the iconic and wonderful and hilarious wonder Sikes, and I got to hang out in Montreal, a city I'd never been to. In fact, it was the first North American gig I'd ever done. And I know sometimes when I refer to Canada as North America, people say that's not America, but it's technically it's part of North America. Anyway, I had never been to Canada before, so it was an honor to be there. But what was really great was just hanging out with some comedians that I knew. Some Aussies were over there. Reeke Nicholson was over there, Becky Lucas was over there, Felicity Award. We had a great time. Guy Montgomery from across the Ditch in New Zealand. We had a lot of fun. But meeting new comics, comics that I knew and comics that I wasn't aware of, and this gentleman we became fast friends. His name is Adam Christie. He's a fantastic Canadian comedian. He was performing on the very first night I did my first gig in Montreal, which wasn't the big Gale. You do like a rehearsal for that, and he was there. Anyway, I'm not going to say too much because we kind of covered this when we start chatting, so I will allow our blossoming relationship to be for both of us to share that with you. So I hope you enjoy this episode with Adam Christie, my best making Canada.
Speaker 2: Hello, my name is Adam Christie. I'm Pete Hallier's best Canadian friend. My favorite movies are Star Wars, The Course Will Be with You, Fairest Bueller's Day Off, and mac Groover. Amen. But until yesterday I had never seen Wall Street.
Speaker 1: Fy let me please among the stars.
Speaker 2: Let me see you at the Strings.
Speaker 1: Like Adjvurter and Mark Oliver, Stone returns from the Horrors of Vietnam after making nineteen eighty six. Is plait sooons at the Horrors of Wall Street, where Charlie sheen So is up for grabs. It won't be the last time as Michael Douglas's Gordon Gecko Scolds and mold Machines Buddy Fox, who is sick of being on the outside and desperately wants to be on the inside. And that's exactly where he ends up a little too far inside for the Feds. Liking it's nineteen eighty seven, greed is good and smoking indoors is even better. And a big hello and welcome to you said, and I was actually gonna use it in my introduction my bestest Canadian friend Adam CHRISTI, how the hell are you?
Speaker 2: I want to knock the borders out of it. I want to say, we're just best friends.
Speaker 1: This is not a time for borders. Yes, there's too much going on with border restrictions at the moment. Let's just knock them out, b ffs.
Speaker 2: So here's the thing, and this is kind of related to movies. You know when you see a movie and you see it just once and you're like, oh, that's my favorite movie. Like I saw the movie, what's that movie Cabin in the Woods? Like I went and called to Cabin in the Woods and you see and you're like, that's like the best movie of all time. I did that was like, I just all about Eve too, and I'm like, man, this is the greatest film I feel like meeting you. For we met, I think we probably have spent a total of an hour and a half together in our lives. But afterwards I was like, this is my best friend. This is the person I want to spend the rest of my life with. I talk about you all the time. I talked to you with our mutual friend Zoe, I talked to you with my partner. I mean, this is I don't know if we've ever spoken to each other, not drunk or hungover.
Speaker 1: This and this is true, and we are speaking together that Ammy Melbourne in a pretty heavy louckdown And it's ten o'clock at not I have a fine red wine by ten minute spot Trector, a lovely Victorian winery, and you are in Toronto, the lovely glass of Hjo I believe.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm. It's eight in the morning and I just found out. You know, Pete, A good way to wake up in the morning is to work out and then not shower and then go to sleep. And as soon as you wake up you're just itchy and so uncomfortable. You have to get in the shower because you feel disgusting. I recommend it.
Speaker 1: So we met in the only last year in Montreal, the beautiful city of Montreal. Is my first time I'd ever been there for just for the laughs, first time in Canada, to be honest, and we Yeah, you were actually at my very first you know Americans slash sorry North American gig. Like I've never done a gig in the in the US, and it was my first Canadian gig. It was it was the kind of the show that you do to warm up for the big gala, and we're both doing the galas and and you were on first for my my recollection. I think everyone just basically gets you just get it, you know, put on for the three or five all the six or seven minutes that you have to do. And I remember I remember looking at you know, watching your set, going jeez, is good. And I was hoping. I knew everyone was going to be good because everyone's doing Garla's but I thought, jeez, he's really good, like he's really sleep and and I went a little bit later and yeah, I did. Okay, it was in front of like sixty people, but like, what are you.
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: It was it was. It was a good it was a good set, but like you know, the next and then it was weird because they have somebody who gives you notes about the set, and I changed a few things because I submitted the script and which is going to be recorded for TV the next night, and I changed a few things, and because the next night I literally performed in that huge you know, it's like it's like three and a half or four and a half thousand people, you know, and one of the signles it was them seeing that that that that gala, and I was performing the night before in front of sixty so I couldn't attend. I was at the same venue, so I kind of used the audience a bit more in in that night. And then remember the woman who was taking the notes said to me, you're not going to well, you're not going to like interact with the audience tomorrow night, you mean? And then I was like, I don't think so was I wasn't planning on it. What do you think? And she said, I just no, like, just don't because we don't want a conversation to break out in the audience during your set. I think that is going to happen, But I take your point. And Okay, so you were at my first gig. It was so lovely to you know, my first gig, to be there backstage and meet a friendly face, and then to see that you're a stunning comic. And then we hung out at the Netflix. There's a Netflix party We've got to hang out at and and bump into each other a few times. And now we're basically working out a way to get out of our current relationships.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean a drop of a hat beat. You tell me to leave my partner, I'll dumper and we'll move in together and we'll start a new life I believe, wife and a beautiful family.
Speaker 1: Right, it's more complicated for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what. That might take a few days to get out of. But me, me and a visa, dude, it's gonna be crazy. And also, I will say because I went to Australia for the first time last year and I was I was in Sydney and let me tell you, I die. I don't know who you are, Pete, I don't know what you're about. I just know you're a friendly guy and you're my best friend. But I get to Australia, I'm Basically, I'm like walking out the street and everyone I meet is like Pete Ellier says, hey, like people are like coming out of the like garbage cans and be like peteza's your funny and like out of a sewer a rat. It's like, hey Pete, hey, it loo was crazy. Everyone I met You've been dropping my name all over Australia and I, you know, I think I might be a dignitary now, well I was.
Speaker 1: I was devastated because I heard you coming down. I was invought at to perform at just for laughs at the Sydney oppera House, and I'll I was sad enough. Actually before I knew you were coming down that I couldn't make it. We were finishing up shooting our series How to Stay Married. That weekend it was actually the Rap party, and I thought I'd kind of need to be at the rap party. You know, I'm reasonably involved in this series, and and and then when I heard you were going to be there, I kind of thought I can go to Maybe if I go to the rap party for like, you know, charter a flight. But it didn't happen. But I heard you smashed it.
Speaker 2: Well, we're listen, we're here. Oh yeah, I had a real personalized bit for the Australian audience. You know, when something happens to you in the city and you can tell your personalized bit. Oh they love that, they love that, loved it.
Speaker 1: I was I was almost going to do a personalized bit in Montreal. I was going to say that that Montreal, that I liked Montreal, that I found that the most trustworthy of Canadian cities, because I'd gone to Toronto on the way because I love I'm a big fan of paleontology and basketball, and it was it was only when I got there that I realized that the Toronto Raptors when named only the Toronto Reppors, not because the fossils that are in the ground in Toronto, but because the movie Jurassic Plaque was popular at the time of their inception.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, we were named by a bunch of six year olds. I at the time, I think was six, So I was pretty excited. People make the joke of like, if we were named like a year after, we'd be called like the Toronto Titanics or something like.
Speaker 1: It wasless lists.
Speaker 2: Yep, Toronto. It was in the mix that in the mix I think that was a second. My personalized bit is when I came the first person I met in Australia picked me up. It was like a driver for the festival, and I was like, Oh, what's the big news in Australia, what's going on in Australia. And the woman was like, oh, I've in Malatt just died and I said, oh, I'm sorry to hear that, and didn't realize that he was a famous murderer.
Speaker 1: I want to speak of your top three great top three. Two of them I might in my old times mcgruba. Let's so we'll get to that in the sick. But Star Wars, I mean, that's weirdly enough. In this podcast is short history. We're recorded. By the stage of twenty episodes, nobody's mentioned Star Wars in their top three.
Speaker 2: And you know what, that's fucking bullshit because I thought, okay, because you for everyone listening, he tells you to list your three favorite movies, and then that's all you think about for one week, is what your three favorite movies are, because that's like the hardest question in the world. And I think I had, like I probably I had it down to about thirty movies. And finally when you said it, I just like wrote down the first three that it came to my mind. But I feel like if you, I feel like Star Wars is like the most popular movie franchise in the world, yep, and most people. It's like the fact that most people don't say the Star Wars is their favorite film is like they're lying to themselves. It's like, oh, so nobody likes this movie. No all, this is no one's favorite movie that I guess is the most popular thing in the world, and everything associated with it is the most popular thing ever. And it's kind of like when when I hear comedians say this is the thing that's not mean it shouldn't. When comedians say their biggest influence and it's not the Simpsons, I'm like, no, it's the Simpsons. Like the Simpsons is like our citizen Kane. It's like it's like all comedy like kind of derives from the like the Simpsons as far as pop culture goes, like invented all these jokes. It's like, the answer is the Simpsons, even if you hate the Simpsons. I don't know why I need a hot take like this off the top, but I'm sitting in it.
Speaker 1: I love your hot take, and I think you're right. I would also take Seinfeld in that, but I think The Symptoms is absolutely right. For over thirty years is amazing. You're right, they invented so many Very rarely do you have a show that comes along that kind of invents a new style of comedy, and I think The Symptoms have done it. Seinfeld definitely did it. And I think the other one that I can think of off the top of my head is The Office, the UK Office, I think and Ricky Gervays even specifically kind of created a style of comedy that I've seen a lot of people try to, you know, to replicate, even other actors sometimes when they're acting with Ricky Gervays try to try to kind of mimic him. But I think you're right, and I'm almost You've got me thinking because I you know, obviously, I've thought about my three favorite films, and I say, it's Godfather Part two. It's playing strains and automobiles, and it's Sideways. But I'm a massive Star Wars fan. Like there's not there's no movie franchise that has blown me away more than Star Wars. It's it's the biggest influence. But for some reason, and I mean embarrassed to say it after your your heart take, I never really say it's in my top three.
Speaker 2: Wow, this could be the end of the Fantastic Space Opera, which has influenced millions. Cannot break. Paul Giamardi and Thomas Hayden Church drinking wine.
Speaker 3: Like Wookies and e Walks and land Han solo and you're like, no, give me Sandra Oh and Thomas Hayden Church in Napa Valley having fun.
Speaker 2: We listen. I love Sideways. That's one of my I saw that when I was eighteen, and I loved it. I bought it, but when you buy movies, I bought it first Date for thirty six dollars.
Speaker 1: Have you listened to the DVD commentary with the two aforementioned gentleman g Marty and Thomas Hayden Church.
Speaker 2: I mean maybe when I was eighteen, but I don't remember anything from it.
Speaker 1: It's one of the It's just one of those David a commentaries where you think if they these two had a radio show, I would listen. I would be an avid listener. Oh yeah, they are so.
Speaker 2: On it. Huh. Yeah, that movie came out when you're familiar with Blockbuster Video obviously.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, yes we have one. I think still reminding you Western Australia.
Speaker 2: Really yeah. So I used to work at Blockbuster Video when I was seventeen years old, and I was like the biggest movie snob. I was like the most annoying, like little snobby piece of shit of Like when people would bring up movies that I thought were not good, I would tell them like, you don't want to see this, and so obviously just people with their partners that were going to put them on for like ten minutes and then start making out. But if someone brought like you know, without a paddle or something, I'd be like, this is dribble. I sent so many people home with the movie Hotel Rwanda who like obviously did not want to like watch Hotel Rwanda that night.
Speaker 1: You don't want Super Troopers, you want Hotel Rwandana is literally.
Speaker 2: What I was saying to people, like to a t, not caring about their mood or the style movie that they wanted. I sent so many people home with Hotel Rwanda and Sideways, which is not a movie for everybody. Like if you're a small town Canadian hockey man, you don't like sideways. Oh, I was such a little snobby brat.
Speaker 1: I love I love Ferris Bueli's Day Off. I am, in fact, I watched it. I watched it recently with my kids, and I watched it even literally I think last week I might not have watched all of it. I don't think I watched the last half hounds. It's this comes up a lot. It's one of those movies that if it's on TV and you catch it, you just basically see yourself on accounts and you watch the rest of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's such a I watched it recently with my girlfriend that we listened to a podcast about it, and it's a it's a very like weird movie, like Ferris Bueller, nothing bad ever happens to him the whole movie, and that really doesn't happen. And like, if you're writing a film, like if you somewhat passed an executive Ferris Buelow's Day Off, now, they'd be like, nothing happens to this guy. This guy just wins all movie. He's just a cool guy all movie, and people are supposed to It's like yeah, yeah, people are gonna watch that forever. Just a cool guy being cool. Yeah, like the movie, he's like, oh, I got to get home and then he does seamlessly and then not.
Speaker 1: It And the scene with Alan Rock that with the Ferrari is just it is just a brilliant I was thinking about it as I was watching it literally last week. Yeah, I really love to know how that idea came to John Hughes, because it's such a brilliant way and something I've never seen before. You know, you watch so many movies and and and often there you know there's there's tropes and that they're predictable, and like you said, this, this this protagonist who has nothing go wrong for him, not not even when he's up against it. You know he's gonna make it. It's incredible. So that the ellen Ruck speech, the Cameron speech before he before he kicks the car, and then when the car goes through the window and down and he kills the car, and then the speech he makes out for it's just brilliant.
Speaker 2: Cameron, It's my fault.
Speaker 1: I'll take the heat for it.
Speaker 2: Well, wait for your father to come home, and when he gets here, I'll tell him that I did it.
Speaker 1: He hits me anyway, No, I'll take it.
Speaker 2: No, I'll take it. No, No, you don't want this much heat. I want it.
Speaker 1: If I didn't want it, I wouldn't let.
Speaker 2: You take the car out this morning. I made you take the car this morning.
Speaker 1: I could have stopped you.
Speaker 2: It is possible to stop mister Ferris Bueller.
Speaker 1: You know, No, I want it. I'm gonna take it. That's it. When Morris comes home, you know, I'll just have a little chat. It's cool. No, it's gonna be good.
Speaker 4: Thanks anyway, And it's it's so good to see Ellen Ruck in Succession now, oh yeah, and he pops up from time to time, but he's I'm so glad he's he's got a gig that, you.
Speaker 1: Know, on the best TV show in the world at the moment that we can enjoy.
Speaker 2: And he's so good in Succession too, He's so fantastic. But the podcast that we listen to, I can't remember what it's called. It's Bill Simmons as like movie podcast.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, the I only got onto it recently because somebody suggested it the Rewatchables.
Speaker 2: The Rewatchables, right, so even before listen to that, and then they brought it up first and me and my girlfriend were like, but we were talking about is Ferris Bueller's Day Off a movie about Ferris Bueller or is it about camera.
Speaker 1: That's a very interesting question because has the arc.
Speaker 2: He has the full arc. Yeah, feeler sings of God, goddamn two songs. This is two songs in the movie. He's just sings two songs. This movie is bananas.
Speaker 1: It really is quiet. It's one of those, you know, because it's John Hughes film, and it's and it's one of these you know, it's it's different obviously than Breakfast Club and and and Pretty in Pink and and the like, but it's you know, it's still about kids doing kids things, but it's kind of it's kind of groundbreaking. It breaks a lot of rules.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's cool.
Speaker 1: So and talking about m mcgru but I so McGraw. I've never seen mcgoober. Uh huh. So this is who's the star of mcgoober.
Speaker 2: The stars Will Forte. It's a big like SNL cast. So it's like Kristin Wig and Maya Rudolph's in it. Vuth Kilmer plays the villain. He's like so funny, he's insane. I put mcgoober in there because and I was I was between two movies because I feel like when you are asked what your favorite movie is, it's always something that you watched a lot when you were a kid, or like a team like I've probably seen Faris Buller in Star Wars like each easily like fifteen to twenty times. Yeah, just because when you're a kid, you have time, you don't have to go to work, for God's sake.
Speaker 1: And you probably had them on VHS. Oh yeah, you know those were the films you had, so you just watched those films.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But I think and there's two it is mcgroober and Mad Max Fury Road are movies that I've seen in my like you know, Passage of twenty five that I have probably watched like five times both of them, which is not a thing. I feel like I don't have time to watch movies over and over and over again. But those two movies are like kind of contemporary films that I've that I've seen over and over again. I think mcgrubor I looked it up just now. It has like a forty two or something on Rotten Tomatoes. It's like the funniest thing that's ever been made before.
Speaker 1: What I admire about your three films? Is that? And I think you've alluded to it. There's a certain snobbery people will, you know, put even amongst mostly comedians are doing this podcast, and still they they might just put one comedy in there, and then they will, you know, they'll be kind of you know, older kind of classic films that they you know, it says a lot about us what we put forward as a three favorite films. Sometimes I've actually forgotten to give people warning about your three favorite films. So just before I press record, I say, oh, by the way, I'm just gonna ask you three films, and they like the panic in their eyes and they just I got to basically shut it down for ten minutes so they can kind of gather their thoughts. But I I like, this comedy gets you know, disregarded so many times. You know, it kills me that there's no best comedy Oscar. You know, Bridesmaids should be an Oscar winning movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, and horror too. Like I mean, if I think if you looked at like the rotten Tomatoes scores of your average comedy or horror movies, it's probably credits. Critics think both the genres are bad. Yeah, like yeah, and then totally like what was that? What was that damn movie? Also, like one of the best movies ever just came out, big horror movie the other year Hereditary was Hereditary. Yeah, yeah movie, You're like, there's nothing better than this this year. It's incredible and doesn't get nominated for anything. Sponkers, But you're telling me, extremely loud, incredibly close is a good movie? Get out of here.
Speaker 1: The hell I was gonna ask you have you seen is it an Australian film that you've seen or that looms large? But you've already answered the question with the mad Max Fury wrote, I mean, yeah.
Speaker 2: It doesn't get better than that movie. That movie is insane. That's like one of the best movies ever.
Speaker 1: It breaks my heart a little bit, though. I don't think we're going to say a sequel because they can't for some reason that George Miller and Warner Brothers can't come up with a deal. Oh really yeah, like it seems like that's not fine. Almost five years ago that film, you know.
Speaker 2: That movie, didn't that movie have a ton of problems and like budget cuts and like nobody on set with Happy and like the fact that all came together. Was kind of like a miracle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well it got it got because of the draft or storm or either got flood of or they had to change locations, you know, and Tom Hardy and Charlisaran apparently didn't get on, and it was you know, you look at it and you kind of go, yeah, that looks like a tough shoot. Oh yeah, you know it's not. It's not the Breakfast Club. So yeah, I'm glad. Well, I'm glad we've covered that off. So let's let's get into the move where he to discuss I haven't seen I hadn't seen war Street either, which is the delight in this podcast. And sometimes I get to speak to somebody who nominates the film that I haven't seen. It han't Alex Edelman hadn't seen Thelm and Louise. We discussed that, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid Ronnie Chang did Madie Manhattan I had. Weirdly, I hadn't seen that Manhattan only scraped through on the classic, but I allowed it. I allowed it the j LO fans. So I hadn't seen war Set because when it came out I was twelve years old and this did not have any kind of appeal to me. No, no, believe it or not. Well, I hadn't you seen Wall Street?
Speaker 2: I don't know. It's like I feel like I haven't seen a lot of like like man movies from the eighties. Like I was born in the eighties, so I was literally a baby when this came out. So I feel like like I haven't seen like Rambo, and I haven't seen like Godfather or Godfather Part two. For the love of God, I haven't seen I hadn't seen Top Gun until I saw it two weeks ago. So kind of these like classic like dude flicks, I haven't seen a lot of. Also, Wall Street is a movie. When I perused and I know Runny we've performed together in Bermudy is like the funniest guy in the world. He's one of the nicest people ever. When I perused the list of movies and you've kind of the like touched on this, I was like, huh made in Manhatt Okay, I don't know if that's is that a good movie? This one sticks out? But now after watching the film Wall Street, I feel like maybe I have leapfrogged Ronnie because let me tell you, Pete, this movie is bad, so dumb, and I'm watching it, and after I'm like, you know what, maybe Made in Manhattan is better. It's probably better than Wall Street.
Speaker 1: It's it's so interesting you say that, and you have come out hot, You've hit the ground running. I've had people on the podcast have gone, yeah, I'm I'm not sure, and then by the end of the podcast, after discussing it, they've come like, actually, I think I might watch it again. I think, you know, I've talked to myself and we've disgusted enough that I think, Okay, maybe I have more of an appreciated I'm not sure if I'm going to talk you into liking Wall Street, because I had a similar underwhelming reaction to it, and I'm not sure if I had seen it, maybe not in nineteen eighty seven when I was twelve, but maybe, you know, a few years. If I saw it in nearly nineties, maybe I would have had a different reaction. But I think perhaps after seeing Wolf of wall Street and The Big Short and more recent movies based on Wall Street, that it just was a bit underwhelming.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, And I just am questioning why I ever thought that this was like, is this held up as a classic because I have this, like, I mean this list of the beginning of COVID of like movies I want to watch, and I have it here. It's like Casino eight and a half, Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. I've got Rear Window, but I put Wall Street on there. Why did I think Wall Street? Cleo from five to seven, kill Bill singing in the rain? Wall Street? Like, why did I think? Does it have this aura around it that it's like because why I know, Michael Douglas won the Oscar for Best Actor, and I mean I feel like he deserves ten Oscars for that performance because he is like one of the only redeeming qualities of this whole movie. He is, like, Michael Douglas brings it so hard that he is so watchable in this movie that like, I can't even imagine what it would have been like if it was not Michael Douglas, because he's just phenomenal.
Speaker 1: It's the only film that has won an Oscar and a Razzie. Yeah. Do you know who won the Rezie?
Speaker 2: Yeah it was it was what's the phrase? Yeah, Daryl Hannah, which wolf? She is like, first of all, like the movie for twelve minutes. She's the third build actor in the film and she's in it for like twelve minutes. Charlie Sheen is just insane in this movie. Uh yeah, it's bonkers.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah. I remember when I read that that's that that fact about the Oscar and the Razzi. I started thinking about Daryl Hannah because I've only had, you know, reasonably decent thoughts about Darryl Hannah. I've never wished her ill will. She's never She's never you know, pissed me off. Well, I have a voodoo doll ill will with Daryl Hannah. But you know, she was good in Kill Bill. She you know, Splash was I have fond memories of Splash growing up, Daryl Hannah and Tom Hanks and John Candy. But she I think she's just out of her depth in this. But I also think that there's not much for her to work with, you know, in this I think Oliver Stone prefers to write for men than he does for women.
Speaker 2: Because I read that Daryl Hannah said that she had a miserable time on this shoot and she thinks Oliverstone is a misogynist. And she's never seen the movie, so you can really tell that she doesn't want to be there in the movie.
Speaker 1: Yes, And because I don't wish Daryl Hannah any ill will, I suggested she does not ever watch this movie.
Speaker 2: Absolutely that Why did I pick this? Why did I want to see Wall Street? Well?
Speaker 1: Because when I because I just know I message you saying listen, I'm doing this this podcast. And if you if you, if you're interally watching a classic film and chatting about it, and you were like, wow, this this is weird because I just watched Wall Street, you know, last night, So I'm like, well, let's do that. So I think it might have been the timing of the message.
Speaker 2: WHOA well, because I mean I listened to Wall Street. I can't remember the other films. I'm sure the other ones were class because this list that I have is classics. But yeah, I mean where to start with? What is was sushi? So you were twelve when this movie? Was sushi like the weirdest thing in the world in the eighties? Was it like for only millionaires? Yeah?
Speaker 1: No, I do remember sushi being quite a weird thing. Hence Mountain Sheen sniffing.
Speaker 2: Is yeah, yeah, he sniffs as sushi.
Speaker 1: But I was quite impressed with the sushi maker. I mean, I've never seen that. Actually would a mind one of those.
Speaker 2: There's so much technology. I read that the first time a mobile phone was shown on uh in a movie was this, and that hand scanner was bonkers, Like I didn't even know that that was a thing that looked like it was from Star Wars or something.
Speaker 1: I've never seen that. So for those who haven't seen you know, we advise you watched a movie before.
Speaker 2: You gotta see this.
Speaker 1: If you haven't seen it now, you're probably not gonna watch it after the last three minutes.
Speaker 2: That Scanner deserves best supporting actor, not I think, because.
Speaker 1: I've never seen that. I've never heard about that. But there are some things we see in American movies that you know, like pages were a much bigger thing in America, it seems based on movies and they ever were in Australia. They were pages. I remember my dad having a pager for a very brief period of time. But pages, if you judged American movies were like, you know, everyone had a page and they were so important for a period for a long period of time in the eighties nineties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but can you imagine having a hand scanner.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so he's scanning documents. Yeah, and he's getting a print out straight away.
Speaker 2: Mission impossible. Like Tom Cruise had that now in a mission impossible, I'd be like, Oh, that's fancy technology. I wonder when they're going to develop that.
Speaker 1: Did you let the robot at the party?
Speaker 2: Oh? The I mean the robot at the party? This movie is ridiculous, Like I don't know whether we're supposed to be impressed by his apartment. It like looks awful. Are we supposed to be like, oh, this is so gaudy and bad, or are we supposed to be like, oh, this is sick, this is sweet. Everybody wants this the I mean, one of my favorite bands is of the Talking Heads, And I don't know if there's ever been a more out of place song than Naive Melody in this movie, like because he's like he takes the house and he's like, this is home, and then Naive Melody starts playing and there's a montage of making the house and then that's the song that comes on in the credits, and I'm like, this doesn't match up. I think Oliver stro Soon just likes David Byrne.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think I might be wrong, but I think I've read the David Ben was in the film, but I I might be wrong. I might be wrong about that, but I know, all of a sudden, I was very proud that he that he used talking heads and that he used also the opening song, which is an old standard kind of snatcher style standup which which is kind of scapes me. Yeah right now. But the robot was like that robot would have got kicked off a doctor who said, you know, it was it was, It was not, it was not. And this is where when we're doing this podcast, I would love to be able to go back in time. If I had a time machine, I would only use it to go back and watch movies, knowingly, just or watch movies and kind of feel, you know, go back to a time where I can watch Wall Street and can be blown away by the robot.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, do you think that was Do you think that was as big as like the hoverboard and Back to the Future was When people saw that robot, people like, oh, everybody's gonna have a robot.
Speaker 1: Well maybe because he's he's you know, uh, you know, ten years out the Star Wars, we've had MPOM, we've had a return of the Jennson said, maybe they've gone listen all of it. We need the merch, you know, we need to sell some ployees. Can you get anything we can sell that came out?
Speaker 2: What are the kids buying after they see Wall Street? I'm gonna tell you this movie. I've never felt so dumb and yet thought that something was so dumb at the same time. I don't know anything about personal finance and I don't know anything about so when they're like sometimes when they're talking and the way that, like the other movies that you mentioned, like like investing in the stock market are such complex top topics. Like a movie, like what was the movie that you mentioned? Yeah, Big Short, Big Short literally has like interstitial parts where they're explaining to you.
Speaker 1: Kind of like in a bubble bath.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's like Anthony Bourdain makes a cameo. They're just like flying through buying and selling in bull markets, and like, I don't know what any of this stuff means, and I don't know if that means. Do you know what all this stuff means? Were you following like.
Speaker 1: So much of the information we know over my head, Like I kind of have a rough idea what a bull and a bear market is and I know what insider trading is. Yeah, that's about where I'm at.
Speaker 2: Well, it's almost like, get me three hundred chairs at twelve point five and I'll do the six percent dividend. I'm like this, I'm pretty sure that's a bad guy, and I'm going to take that in the scene that that's just a bad guy.
Speaker 1: Well, I I We did a podcast recently with a great comedian here in Australia, Kadi Flanagan, and we chatted about The Matrix and neither of us understood a whole lot of it, you know, And we had the discussion and I'll ask you, can you I know you didn't enjoy Wall Street, but can you still enjoy a film that you don't completely understand? Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought, I mean I think so, like I enjoyed the Matrix. Here's the problem with the Matrix and Wall Street, though, is that if you don't understand the Matrix, it's like, oh, you don't understand like some like philosophy and metaphysics and stuff like the fact that I don't understand Wall Street is like, oh, I don't understand how the world works. And I'm probably being screwed every single day, Like like the decisions made in the matrix world are not like, you know, Neo's not getting a fifteen billion dollar bailout from the government, you know what I mean. But it's like this this stuff is like actually tangible and important and kind of affecting a life. I had my very first so I don't know anything about money, and I don't know if you invest or do anything. So I just have a bunch of money like lying in my I just sits in my checking account, like it just does it. And then someone was like, hey, you know, you're like the dumbest idiot in the world if you just have your money in your checking account, that's what are you doing. That's stupid. I was like, oh, what should I do? And then he's like, oh, you should call this guy. So I call this guy and we have like a two hour long conversation and he tells me about how this is how the world works and I should invest it here, and I don't understand. It's like it's like listening to the movie Wall Street. I don't understand a word that he's saying. He's like, oh, because the boomers are retiring, and then the gen x and here's what's going on here, and they're printing money and gold is more valuable, and I'm like, I don't know what this person talking about. But at the end of the two hour conversation, which I cannot tell you really anything about, I'm proud to say that I'm giving this man all of my money. I don't know at the end of the at the end of the conversation, because he was like, we're going to move the money, and I was like, at the end, I was like, wait, so it's still in my I can still use my bank. This guy works at another bank. We've had this two hour conversation. How he's explained like literally like the world to me, And at the end, I'm like, so, it's like if you explained buzzie rules football to me for two hours and I didn't you. I clearly didn't get it. And at the end, I was like, we're playing hockey and You're like, no, like, just explain this to you forever. Except in this scenario, I'm literally giving him all of my money I have.
Speaker 1: I'm very similar. I have no business now and it is all as my granddad would say, mumbo jumbo, And I often sit in those meetings, and all I'm concerned about is that at some point they're going to ask me, do you have any questions? And then all I'm trying to do is formulate one question that makes me not sound like a complete buffoon.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, And I feel like I really blew it with this conversation because money is going to go in a different bank.
Speaker 1: Did you have you ever taken a business meeting in a sauna? That happens a lot in the American movies?
Speaker 2: No, I haven't. I also never I'm waiting for my accountdice. Then be a prostitute. I think that should be happening today, a prostitute. Is there something? I mean, this movie is very It's like there's not a lot of women in this movie. It's like Daryl Hannah. Who does Daryl Hannah have to be in this movie? Like? What is this? What is the character? Well?
Speaker 1: The weird thing is I wonder if there was they lost stuff in the edit, because there seems to be like an interesting dynamic between Daryl Hannah has previously seen had a relationship with Michael Douglas, that is, you know, and she says, do not tell him, and then from my recollection. Maybe you know, maybe I'm noted off at some point, but it doesn't. Nothing happens. They set something up and then it doesn't. There's no payoff. Sean Young is Michael Douglas's wife, and she doesn't really offer much. Yeah, it's written, it's really there's three characters. Really, it's Charlie Sheen, it's Michael Douglas and and and Martin Sheen. And thank god for Martin Sheen as well, because at least he gives the movie some humanity. Even though he starts off as I think, as one character. Then he becomes President Bartlett in the second half of the movie or the third act, where he kind of he seems like he slightly seems like a different character, like he knows more than he did. He's a bit of a bit of a bum at the start that you know, not a bum, but he's you know, he's a working guy, and you know, you know, you know, he's asking questions and he's judging, and you know, and and and then he kind of all of a sudden understands how the world works completely in that in that last act.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he starts talking like an old jazz man or something. He's like, I don't go to bed with a whore and then wake up with a whore. Did you talk like this the whole movie? And he's like, oh, well, I can't believe I lived long enough to see it all. And you're like, what's this guy like the smartest guy in the room or something. I think there's a heart attack and you're like what. He comes back to work and they're like, oh, your dad had a herd attack and he's like, oh, I gotta go tell him. I'm gonna So movie makes little sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And also the smoking that goes on. I understand there's a lot of smoking in the eighties, and I remember the smoking indoors, and you know, I'm not sure what it's like in Canada, but certainly in Australia basically for many years now. You've not been out of smoke indoors for many years, but I'm not even sure. In nineteen eighty seven, he felt to be smoking at my father's bedside. What is he nice for you?
Speaker 2: I just also, did you notice that there was another two people in the room, Like he had a shared hospital room, so you could see over Charlie Sheen's shoulder. There's like a man in a bed and like a woman standing over him while this conversations going on.
Speaker 1: And the other thing about this movie that I think is, you know, a big weakness. I think we feel like we both agree on it's just so predictable. And I'm not sure because it's a movie now that's you know, thirty over thirty years old, and you know, maybe it's been copied, but I feel like it's you kind of know what's going to happen. It's the wide eyed protege under the Master, gets corrupted under the Master, then takes has an awakening and takes revenge on the Master. And you could kind of see, you kind of could see, of course, Martin Sheen's going to have some kind of heart attack or die or you know, and that's going to be up. Brings Buddy Fox out of his you know, he's he's you know, he's ambition.
Speaker 2: Also, the names in this movie are Wild Gecko, we got Bud Fox. I can't even remember Darryl. Hannah's name is like Doria, what's her.
Speaker 1: Name, yeah, Doria Shark. I think it is. It's so funny because a point three quarters away through in the movie, I thought Gordon Get Get Go. He's a lizard and you know, he's you know, he's it's slimy and whatever. But then I'd never actually kind of thought about Buddy Fox until I kind of rewatched the last half hour of the movie tonight. It's because I've kind of forgotten what happened to Daryl Hannah again, so it was only really like kind of okay, there's an animal kind of motief going on here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one of the because I just rewatched the last half an hour and there's a scene where Gordon Gecko is like looking at the window and he's like, if I find out who this, I'm gonna tear out his eye it suck his skull. It's like some of the lines of this movie are wild. When when they're like having their first dinner in the house and she's like, isn't it perfect? Like they're having sushi for the first time, and she's like, isn't it perfect? They're having sushi in something else. It's like sushi is on the side and they're also having like soup. It's like the most bizarre meal you've ever seen. And she's like, isn't it perfect? And then he goes, it's too perfect. I don't even want to eat it. I just want to watch think about it. It's like what watch the food, think about the food. And then they have sex and this like Daryl Hannah is like this this weird like swan like sex that no one has ever had before. And then the next scene is Charlie she like looking off into the distance on his balcony goes, oh, am, I like this movie is so dumb.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and even you mentioned it before when he buys the house and he says, this is home now. We've given no reason to know why it makes him feel like this is home. Yeah, yeah, we know obviously it's overlooking, you know, it's it's in a skyscraper and it's overlooking New York, and it's you know obviously probably in Manhattan or somewhere. But he seems to you know, like, no, this is a spiritual home now, and it just it just doesn't feel like I don't know why you've decided that there's probably you know, another you know, three hundred apartments that are exactly like this. What's special about this apartment?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's weird because like with his with Martin Sheen's character, like he has such a good seeming upbringing, like his dad is like this kind of blue collar guy who seems to really love him and give him good advice, but he's just such a fuck up like Cheater.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, first of all, Martin Sheen could be Charlie Cheane's brother in this, like c it looks fucking amazing, But I think you're right. I'm not sure if you if you're ready or knew that Tom Cruise kind of lobbied to play this part. I mean there's problems I think, you know, with the script and a lot of things, but I wonder I think that would make it a better film because I don't think Charlie Sheen's very good in this.
Speaker 2: Oh he's awful and like even acting like I didn't even believe, like it's bad when you're acting with your dad and I don't believe that that's your dad, Like, oh, this guy's but it's almost like real life because Charlie Sheen is like this deplorable, like weird actor turned stand up comedian, like mess and like marn Gane. I've always felt like, oh, Martinchine seems nice. I don't know if that's true. There might be some weird Martin gine stuff.
Speaker 1: But well, what I like to do sometimes with this podcast is the look at the time for the actor and even at the director. And we can do it with Charlie Sheen because it's quite interesting. Actually, Like he's only made, you know, probably two great films. So in eighty four he makes Red Dawn. In eighty six he's in it makes a cameo in one of your favorite films, Forrest Bueler's Day Off at the Police Station with Jennifer Gray.
Speaker 2: Which I turned to my girlfriend and I was like, is this a Ferris Bueler prequel? Like does he get in a jail and gets hooked on drugs and he needs Jennifer Jennifer Gray at the at the jailhouse a theory that I.
Speaker 1: Mean Platoon in the eighty six great film, great film with Oliverstone, works with Allvestone again in with Wall Street. Then the following year he makes Young Guns. Now that is a popcorn cowboy movie that I'm absolutely here for. I loved Young Guns and I grabs also a bon Jovi fan. That was the first concert I went to, so Young Guns too, which Charlie Cheene wasn't end. But when John bon Jovi he did the soundtrack for Young Guns too. It was you know, my worlds were wid I was extremely happy in eighty ninety makes Major League, which is which is a fine baseball film. Oh yeah, Corbyn Burnson, It's it's Wesley Snipes. Then he makes Men at Work with his brother Emilio, a garbagemen. Not great hot Shots in ninety one, the kind of parody, you know, kind of film. If I was hot Shots two in ninety three, and basically then on hot Shots, I think ruined ruined it. He And I'm not sure whether it was bad choices or that Hollywood just knew that he actually wasn't that good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it's been so long since I saw Platoon, and I didn't really love Platoon. But it's I watched Platoon directly after watching Full Metal Jacket, which I feel like it's such a superior, root superior movie to Platoon that I wasn't really impressed with Platoon. Maybe it's a movie that I got to go back to because I know it's like people listed on like best war movies ever. But I don't know when I saw it, just maybe because I still had the taste of Full Metal Jacket in my mouth. But I was like, oh, this is it's like having sushi and then having soup. Oh, which, by the way, is there a less appetiting because you know sometimes in movies you see food and you're like, oh, that's the best thing I've ever seen. Like I've been watching a lot of anime movies, like have you ever seen like My Neighbor Toto ro or like Spirited Away or any of those movies. Yeah, yeah, so the food and Spirited Away looks like so good, Like I want it even though it's a cartoon. Is there anything less appetizing than the four pounds of steak tartar that Charlie Sheen gets served in the restaurant when he after the first leading with Michael Douglas, Like, oh, He's like, I'm going to treat you right, and then it's served Its like size of a hand. I told me. I was like, I'm gonna have diarrhea. Well, I'm supposed to eat all of this raw beef. This is disgusting.
Speaker 1: I think it was made by the robot in the kitchen.
Speaker 2: Just pounding beef.
Speaker 1: There was there was a faux part that I read in some of the trivia about the film So this movie is made in eighty seven before the wallmarket crash, which didn't affect the film because the film is set in eighty five. There's a reference made by I think his name is John C. McGinley, who was in Scrubs years later, but he makes a reference to the Challenger disaster which happened in eighty six. It's amazing.
Speaker 2: It.
Speaker 1: It's amazing because we talk about there being issues with the scripts and that as much as it seems like a little detail that got through, it does give you an indication that maybe there wasn't enough attention across the script as a whole.
Speaker 2: No, absolutely not.
Speaker 1: Let's the end of the film. They can kind of cut to the end of the film. So it's interesting that Buddy Buddy's triumph and you know this is going to happen. You know, he's gonna, you know, take down the Master. Yeah, drive is quite short lived, which I quite quite liked. I like that, you know, he basically set up the sting he got And by the way, didn't Gordon Gecko just give all the information when Buddy was wearing a wire, Like as soon as he's like talking that much, you're gonna go ah, he's where he's wearing a wire.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as I said, it's self predictable. And he's just like punching him, but throws him by a little serviette, throw some some napkins after he punches in the face a few times. And I don't know what that's supposed to mean, Like, is are we supposed to be like, oh, it's actually kind of nice.
Speaker 1: Well, I think we're supposed to mean that he did genuinely have any I think he says, you could have been one of the greats. And I think he thought he he maybe had a protege. And also because he was making money off him as well, like he was, you know, a source of income that you know, and he probably grew to like him, I imagine. But yeah, all the spluttering of the overt information, he really just gave every every little detail. He just recounted the plot of Wall Street basically like the Charlie Sheen I did. Like I did, like the idea that there was Hal Hobrook, who you know, he is the old guy who works in the Charlie Sheen's broker office that doesn't quite approve of what he does. Like the idea that there was a mentor there for him if he had been looking for the right things. But he was looking just for the greed and and the fast track to the good life that he you know, he kind of overlooked this older dude with experience that would have you know, been a fine mentor and he went straight to the you know, Gordon Gecko. I got to like that as a you know, it's subtle, but it's I think it's it's there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so weird that, I mean, he has so many good older mentors. It's like his he has his father, he has his like, he has that guy. But then he's like, oh, I went to university and this is my idols, Gordon Gecko, and Gordon Gecko is like so mean. He's just such a mean man that he idolizes for some reason. It just kind of doesn't make sense that he would have all these great like father figure mentors. But yet he's still I guess, like the movie is about like capitalism has like tainted him, dude, and he like just wants money, man and get go could get it to him, and it's not through. It's also I mean, because I'm so stupid and I don't know anything about finances. It was a relief to see that the way that he was going to help Gordon Gecko was not to give him actual good stock tips and do research, but it was to like, the real way to make it is to get on a motorcycle that we're about to introduce that you have and follow this rich guy around town. It's like, that's how to play the market.
Speaker 1: You're like, don't really understand how just following somebody. I mean, I know how they explain it that he's gone to a certain place so that they put it together, but like it happened very quickly, Like it is very like it was very convenient. I'm I'm all for a little bit of movie convenience from time to time, but that was very convenient.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he's kicked out of the restaurant. He's like, oh, I'm going to come, and it's like do you have a reservation? He's like no, and he's like you got to leave and he's like okay, and then he's like, well, I'll fall into the airport. It's like, we know iron, he's buying Chinese iron. Good job. Did you did something that literally anyone could have done. It's like follow the car until you know what plane he's getting on, and then I know what to do. We're rich. This is Wall Street, Baby, have some beef.
Speaker 1: I reckon, I reckon. We have done Wall Street. I think we've done very well to chat about it for this long. The only other thing I'll point out is all of the stonehere? Do you stand on all of the stone?
Speaker 2: I haven't seen a ton of all of us movies? What are other? Because I thought, for some reason Oliver Stone did Quiz Show, which is a movie that I love, But that's Robert Redford.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But when he was coming up with this idea, well the original state for the audio, he wanted to write a funnily enough a movie about the Quish Show scandals, and that was what he started working on. And then somebody else suggested that maybe Wall Street because his dad was a This movie is dedicated to his dad was a Wall Street broker. So and then Robert Reford made Quiz Show with Ray Fines, great film. So all of a stone to take you through? I've got here. He made Salvador in eighty six with James Woods. I think Platoon also eighty six, Wall Street eighty seven, nice little film called Talk Radio with Eric Bagozi in eighty eight, Born on the Fourth of July with Tom Cruise who finally got to work with the Doors in ninety one. JFK also in ninety one. I don't know I've mentioned it's on the podcast before. I saw JFK when I was fifteen on my family vacation in Queensland, which is in the north of Australia, and I was basically dropped off at a cinema and my mum came and got me three hours later, and I was like blown away. I as wide as a go. You know, this is when I just believed everything I saw on the screen. I love JK, How you can make JFK? And another movie about Jim Morrison in the same year, Blow My Mind, to be Honest, Heaven and Earth Tommy Lee Jones, Natural Board Killers in ninety four, Tarantino's first Scripts Nixon, great movie called You Turn in ninety seven with Jennifer Lopez and Sean Penn, great little film. And then Any Given Sunday in ninety nine, which is one of the all time great sports films with Albacino, and then That's kind Of to be honest, That's kind of the end of his I Think Great Run. I think. He made a documentary called about him meeting Castro. In two thousand and three, he made the film Alexander But Alexander the Great with Angela and Joelie and Colin Farrell.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and that's like one of the worst movies of all time.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And then he made Will Trade Center, which is okay, and obviously, you know there was a a lot emotionally loaded into that. In two thousand and six, w with Josh Browl and playing George W. Bush. Have you seen that?
Speaker 2: No, No, it's.
Speaker 1: Fun, it's fun enough. It's fun enough. And then he made The Secret But the Good News Is for you, Adam Christy, there's a sequel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, with what's his face? The guy from Hall's right.
Speaker 1: He did the Indiana Jones Rey Boots.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was on He was on that show when he was a kid. Oh god, his name is right, he was on even Stevens. His name is He's one of the most famous guys in the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, gone old Artie and Weedy buff Yes, absolutely, the other fascinating thing. And so the last kind of film of note that, obviously, mate was snowed in two thousand and six. But he also wrote which I wasn't aware of. He wrote He wrote most of those films that he directed, but he also wrote Midnight Express, He wrote Scarface hm hm, and this is a weird one. He wrote Cone and the Barbarian.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 1: So I had no idea. All of the Stone basically introduced us to Arnold Schwarzenegger. Right, that was the weirdest fact that I read about any of this.
Speaker 2: You know what my favorite weird Maybe I already know the answer to this. Maybe this is like so well known and I'm a fool for even saying. But do you know what director.
Speaker 1: Let me guess. Let me guess. Tom Cruise played Maverick in Top Gun.
Speaker 2: You got it? That's trivia I have. Dude, you're the king. You are the king.
Speaker 1: That's why podcast.
Speaker 2: Do you know who wrote the movie? Do you know who wrote the animated film? Stuart Little?
Speaker 1: It wasn't John Hughes, No, it was it was somebody like.
Speaker 2: Was this because John Hughes had some weird ones? But I think there were like scripts that were kind of taken out of his hands.
Speaker 1: Right, Yes, yeah, it wasn't. I want to say Alexander because it was talking about sodwise early, but I don't think it's Alexander Pine.
Speaker 2: No, it was m Night shyamalt Oh yeah, like just the weirdest left field. I mean, I guess get paid, you know what I mean, Like if someone asks you and you want the money to do it.
Speaker 1: The way it was the twist and shoot little.
Speaker 2: Let's I turned out that I don't. I can't even make it. I feel like everything that's going to come out of my mouth is going to be the hackiest joke that's ever lived. And I you know, we'll post COVID times. I can't be hacky anymore.
Speaker 1: Before I wrap up, I want to mention something is born out of Canada and I know you've been involved with it. It's given a lot of people around the world a lot of joy, including this very household.
Speaker 2: I think I know what you're going at. Yeah, pablem which was invented at Sicket Hospital in Toronto the world.
Speaker 1: No, it.
Speaker 2: Was.
Speaker 1: It was, of course the Grassy Junior High and no, Ship's Creek is my wife is sleep in that room there, and no doubt ships we'll be playing on the television. It's it's what we was put on every night. We've seen every episode. We we love it. You played you had I think a pivotal role the entire series where you played a on the Rose video training video with the amazing kat O'Hara, who's if you haven't seen Ship's Creek and part of me wanted to bring it up is just to urge people to watch it.
Speaker 2: It's Creek.
Speaker 1: Katain O'Hara's creation of Moira Rose is one of the all time great comedy creations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's a genius.
Speaker 1: And you played so you were in a training video a with her that and I'm not sure how much time you spent, you know, around and I know your partner has directed episodes, but it is What I love about Shit's Creek is the inclusiveness of not only the more Rose character, but the David character, who's who's who's in a gay relationship. And they're set in a small town, so you kind of expect the hacky version of doing this is that the small town you know, rolling their eyes and the judgment, but they just don't do any of that. And they instead of like trying to reflect what you might think would happen, they kind of almost proposed this wouldn't it be wouldn't there will be much better if this is the way it was?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, which I like. And I mean I wasn't on set with Catherine for a long time. It was maybe like forty five minutes, but it was like like in between scenes, like I just had a moment where I was like, oh my god, this is like being in like a Christopher Quest movie or something like. This is what it feels to like act with Catherine O'Hara. It's like, definitely a highlight of my life. It was purely insane that she's like the nicest person in the world. And she's also very small. I mean, I think that's the thing that you like, you meet anyone who's famous, and they're always shorter than you think. But she's like five foot two. It's crazy, really, and I'm six foot four, so.
Speaker 1: Well that's yeah, I guess i'd be six foot four. Then I is she really fun with two?
Speaker 2: I think? I think so she's like five four max.
Speaker 1: Wow. Yeah, Well, well we watched when the last episode came out, we watched it and there was some tears, and and then we watched it. There's a great documentary that I encourage anyone to watch, particularly if you're interested in house shows together about the final series of Shit's Creek, and it's so great, it's so heartwarming. I've met Eugene Levy. I have the pleasure of meeting him once. He is also one of the nicest guys ever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's so so nice and so kind and like, oh my god. And Chris Elliott like remembered my name. You know, when you meet someone and they like they're famous or something, and then you're like, oh, that's a nice interaction. And then you see them like an hour later and they're like, hey, I remember your name. You're like, holy god, I don't remember anybody's name nobody. I think that's why, because I'm not famous and no one cares who I am.
Speaker 1: Well, that's all going to change after this podcast rolls out. I can tell you this the one thing I love about Eugene Levy. Obviously we love him for so many roles over the years, but as a kid, National Lampoon's Vacation was such a big movie in our house and to see but before we even knew who he was. Even called years later with the Guffman, you know, and the Christopher best movies. Well, he was always the guy who sold Chevy Chase the family truckster to us, you know, and so then the kind of years later gond of go oh, that's the guys, and then they're going to go to stop calling him the guy who sold in the family trucks.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Eugene Levy is amazing. So I just wanted to not only say do you great work on Ship's Creek, but just to our listeners, it is just one of the most brilliant shows a week, combination as well of edgy writing but heartwarming. Oh yeah, that combination you rarely see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the kind of a Canadian thing that's happening lately. Is that Canadian TV for a while is kind of bad for a number of years and.
Speaker 1: Now pointed down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, after the Grassy winded down until Next Generation. I mean it was a it was a boneyard over here. I mean we had no snake, we had no Drake. It was crazy. But no, the shows that are being made now, Like I used to live in la because I was like, oh, nothing can get made in Canada, and then like I moved back and so many good things are being made in Canada. Right now. I mean, what's an Australian TV show that I should check out?
Speaker 1: We should check out my show called How to Stay Married?
Speaker 2: I was married. Here we go.
Speaker 1: Well, the weird thing. The weird thing about my show, Adam, is that we it's on a commercial network and it's one of the very few sitcoms that have actually even been on commercial commission network for years, and we're developing our third series. Now when that goes away, it'll be like the first third series of a scripted sitcom that has been on a commercial network for probably thirty years.
Speaker 2: Huh, So you're like the days of our lives of Australia. They're breaking longevity records all over the place.
Speaker 1: Well, we haven't been on for that long, I said, it's only a third season. But if we it's just weird that for some reason, on our on our national broadcast where there are no commercials, there have been a whole heap of great comedies and I can recommend one called rose Haven, which is which is fantastic. But our show is you know, it's it's a kind of a marital family kind of sitcom. But the other weird thing is Australian comedy hasn't really done a sitcom about marriage, Like, it's so bizarre. The successful sitcoms we've had have been all about broken families, where there's usually a male a male widow, you know, so that yeah, maybe they just didn't know how to write a female character or I'm not sure, but it's this kind of weird thing. But outside of my show, I'll say rose Haven is highly recommended with Luke McGregor and Silly Pacol are great comedians and about two mates who end up running their mother's real state agent in Tasmania. It's a lovely, sleepy, little kind of town and it's in its fourth season, which is you know, we don't have shows that run for eight years down here. We just if you get to if you get a second season, you've done well.
Speaker 2: Is that on the National Broadcaster? Rose Haven?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Well, let me ask you this because I mean, I feel like America's as far as media goes, there's so much focus on America. But I've always been curious in Australia, do conservatives and conservative people always want to defund the National Broadcaster of Australia.
Speaker 1: That is amazing that you asked that, because that is exactly what happens. And the last five or six years have been really rough on it's the ABC, the eustrain Broadcasting Corporation, and they've tried to defund well, they have defunded them largely from not only the television but the radio aspect as well. And the radio is in particularly important because that goes out to regional areas. You know, we had to you know, we remembered how important the radio was for regional areas when we had the Bushfries you know, over over summer, you know, and these it's getting, you know, defunded. It's incredible and it seems like it's it's not it's not exclusive to Australia.
Speaker 2: God no, no, I mean it's always a thing like if you do something on the CBC. Whenever I'm on the internet, like one of my clips goes up, there's just like straight up people who comment on every CBC clip that are like defund the CBC. Or it's like anything that you do on the National broadcaster, if you're trying to do something, people be like my tax dollars is going to this bad comedy. It's like it's unescapable.
Speaker 1: Well, because what conservative governments don't seem to understand. And I'm not sure if this is just an Australian Australian thing, but I imagine that happens in Canada as well. Whoever's in power. That's where the comedies directed at. Yeah, you know, like you you take the piss out of the people who are in power, there's no there's not a whole lot of fun, you know, taking the piss out of the opposition. I'm not saying as a as an exclusive rule, but the fun and the edginess is going to be, you know, having a go at the people in power, but they seem to be so thin skinned where you know, if I was a conservative leader, I would just try to roll with the punches a little bit more, roll, a little bit closer to the middle. And I think that, to be honest, that's what our prime minister is doing at the moment where I think he's kind of worked it out through this coronavirus going if I if I can get a little bit closer to the middle and not drift out to the far right like some of my colleagues want me to, I actually may be a long serving prime minister. And he had a horrible summer with our bushfires because he's basically a climate change denier. And yes, and then he has he's had a better winter and spring, sorry autumn because of the coronavirus. But that's really because when you're a politician and the leader of a country in this scenario, you're basically just listening to medical advice and you listen to experts and you're just taking that expert advice and implementing what needs to be done as opposed to, you know, a bushfire. Where you are you know, philosophically opposed to what's causing the bushfire.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's interesting because we have I mean, we have a liberal federal government. But the problem that I live in as a conservative government, and I'm sure like through coronavirus. Medical experts just come up to you every day and they show you a chart and they say this is what this is how many people die if you don't do this, and this is how many people die if you do do this, And they're like, okay, well let's do it. And then the public is like, yes, they get it. They're great. It's like, what how sad is it that we're at the point where like if a politician doesn't lead to so many deaths. They're a good politician now that we should like celebrate, Like the fact that you're saying like that the prime minister had a good couple months. It's like unreal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like he could not have had a worse summer like he was. If the you know, if the election was the following week or even looking ahead without a pandemic, people would still have the you know, based on the summer, I would still have a cross on the election in two years time, thinking okay, that's when we get the voting map. That's how bad his summer was. Like he literally, as the country was burning, took a holiday to Hawaii. You know, he literally left the country and he was eventually when he came back, he was going round to these small towns and Australians you know, in small towns were just refusing to shake his hands, telling him the fuck off and literally like it was, you know, and getting mad. And if they got mad at him, if they kind of started There's actually one woman who was kind of like crying, the saying you need to help us, you need to do something, and he just literally walked turned his back and walked away. Like after this, after having people not shake his hand and refuse to shake his hand on camera, and it was all very awkward. There's a woman who all she was saying was this, you need to help us, We need your help. And he just nodded his head and kind of late turned his back and walked away.
Speaker 2: Go awaii. Maybe what's the name was the Prime minister's name?
Speaker 1: Scott Morrison?
Speaker 2: Scott Morrison, love them, support him, die formed frankly.
Speaker 1: I get an impression a lot of us will sadly, mate, it's been so good to hang out more tonight than we ever have before. I think as best friends. You know, it's not it's not enough that we only see each other once every two years.
Speaker 2: I know. Uh. Let me echo what everyone said in March when coronavirus started happening and started going on zoom calls. Let's do this every week.
Speaker 1: Let's let's do it zoom or house party.
Speaker 2: What works for you, We'll do zoom. Maybe we'll mix it up the house party, but let's do it every week. That's that's coronavirus catchphrase.
Speaker 1: I've got you locked in next week for Wall Street to Money Never Sleeps. That'll be the.
Speaker 2: Live episode when you come to JFL forty two went on. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean I must say I saw my Montreal spot went to air here in Australia a few weeks ago, and I looked at it and I thought, wow, that seems like a long time ago. It seems like a different world we.
Speaker 2: Did just aired.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like it aired only about maybe a month ago.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And which was I felt like it was a long time to wait, And I think, I don't know what, I don't know why it was so late, but that all those JFL spots had just rolled out here, yeah, in the last month or so.
Speaker 2: Don't you love it when your comedy plays a year after you record it and you look at it and you're like, huh, those jokes weren't done well?
Speaker 1: Because I did. I did a routine about it being the fiftieth anniversary of the moon landing, and it wasn't necessarily that was a way to get into it. The rest of it. It kind of goes on from there, but you know, it had a nice, a nice vibe to it, the fact that it was the year that you know that it was the actual fiftieth anniversary.
Speaker 2: Listen, if anyone calls you on that though the biggest nerd in the world.
Speaker 1: Mate, thank you so much for joining us on. You know you ain't seen nothing yet and you know here's here's to next week. Money never sleeps, book it in.
Speaker 2: It's all about bucks Kid the rest.
Speaker 1: Of this conversation. I really love that chat. Adam Christie, my best Canadian mate. We, like I said, we became fast friends. I love the point he made about every comics favorite TV series should be The Simpsons or it is the Simpsons, and also the Star Wars Zebra's favorite film. I know it's not, but I felt a bit embarrassed because I am a huge Star Wars fans. I've publicly announced my love of Star Wars at every opportunity, and yet I don't kind of put it in my top three films. My top three films of Godfather Part two and one, I kind of going to Canadas one film, even though it's not Sideways and Plans, trains and Automobiles. They're my three favorites, three and a half favorites, four favorites out of three. I'm putting Star Wars in there, and then buy they're in there. They're in there. So my three favorite films, Godfather, Part two, god Father Part one, Star Wars and Bi Strikes Back, Sideways and Plans, trains and autobiles. The mats don't add up. They don't need to. I want to thank Derek Meyers, my podcast manager at Castawaystudios dot com dot Au. I should mention, as I did at the start, that this episode was recorded during lockdown. I actually recorded this a while ago in and hanging on to this one, so the audio wasn't as good as what you're hearing right now. That what you're hearing now are the clear, pristine conditions at Castaways Studios dot com. The audio quality is Thank you to Derek my It's good to be back in Castaways Studios. Get on board. If you're setting up a podcast, Derek is the man to help you out. Next week on the show, I am so excited. One of the well, the biggest musical of all time is Grease. Let's just put it out there and I'm talking next week to one of Australia's best satirists who is a big musical fan. He claims, yet he has not seen the movie Grease. How can this be possible? Mark Humphreys from seven point thirty and the feed does brilliant work online, he will be joining us to chat about the John Travolda and Olivia Newton John Classic. I have seen Greece so many times. I think the only movie I've seen more than Greece is Star Wars. I am so keen to know what he made of it, of the tea birds and the pink ladies and the gang at Rydal. Until then, take care of yourselves and we'll see soon.
Speaker 2: H and so we leave Old Pete safe and soult, and to our friends of the radio audience, we'd been a pleasant good night