Speaker 1: Hello.
Speaker 2: My name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud Yr the Order Kerney Whalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Let's get into it. She's on the Money.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money. Hello and welcomed. She's on the Money podcast for millennials who want financial freedom. My name is Beck Sired and with me is Victoria Divine. Hello, Divine Victoria.
Speaker 1: I am very excited for this episode, but I'm not sure that that feeling at the moment is mutual.
Speaker 3: At the moment, you can see right through me, Yeah, like you always can.
Speaker 1: You're one of those people that definitely shouldn't be given state secrets.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 1: Like if a ransom man came and kidnapped you and said, Beck, you need to tell us the code. You'd be like, oh, the codes one, two, three, four, don't worries. Why did you need to know? Again?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, exactly exactly what.
Speaker 1: Oh it was a secret. Ah.
Speaker 3: So unfortunately my face and my body and my words can't keep a secret.
Speaker 1: But that's okay.
Speaker 3: And my secret today is that I do not care about ship structures, but I feel like I have a feeling you'll be able to explain it in a way that gets me excited.
Speaker 1: So you reckon, I think. So. I know.
Speaker 3: A couple of weeks ago, we were talking about this and we decided to do a part be because there's a lot of information that goes into this. We were talking about a few things that sparked my interests and seemed super important to chat about.
Speaker 1: It did, and it's one of those things where I was like, Okay, well I don't want to overwhelm people too much, but also we'll get into it. But there's like two different ownership structures that we wanted to talk about. So there was like personal ownership structures, so the way that you can set up your own personal ownership, and then the ownership structures that exist inside the assets that you purchase and those aren't really changeable. It's not like you can go, oh well with an ETF, I want the ownership structure to be different. No, no, no, that's just how an ETF functions. Whereas with your trusts or your sole trader or your individual shareholdings, like that's all your choice and you can hold it however you want. Whereas this is more what you need to consider when buying shares and what that actually looks like. And I feel like our community has said a number of times things like, oh well, if it's not Chess sponsored, you shouldn't be buying it, and I don't necessarily agree with that, So we want to, I guess, break down all of those things that I feel can be really overwhelming at the start of an investment journey where you're like, hold on, I was just going to buy an ETF. Well do you mean to have to think about chess ownership structure or what's this or what's that. That's what this episode is about to hopefully give you a bit more independence, but also I guess confidence to go no, no, no, like I am where I am and I'm starting here and that's okay, sure, okay, and all of those terms and everything. We will discuss a little bit later in the episode, but yes, we were speaking about this a couple of weeks ago. Basically the different structures we could set up personally to own shares, and you promise that you'd give us a part B and explain the different ownership structures that shares, ETFs.
Speaker 3: And managed funds use so we can understand them better. So I'm ready. Let's go all right, let's recap though, and strip it right back to the start fee. What exactly is a shit and why should I buy one?
Speaker 2: That is?
Speaker 3: Really?
Speaker 1: Really the start?
Speaker 2: Hey?
Speaker 1: I really like it. So shares also known as stocks or equities, same stuff. People just call it different things. Shares is a more of an Australian term, stocks is a more American term. Equities is more of a finance bro term. If people are like, oh, yeah, I've been buying equities, Sit down, sir, you just bought a share. But essentially all of those things represent ownership in a company. So when you own a share, you're essentially becoming a teeny tiny part owner of that company. My favorite way of looking at it is kind of like a pie chart, and you took a really tiny sliver of the pie and now it's your slither of the pie. And what that does is it actually entitles you to any of the growth and profit of that company because you're a little baby shareholder, like you're the owner of the company. So why should you care about that? Well, owning shares can potentially give you a chance to grow your money as the company's value increases over time, and hopefully that company is doing so well that they're paying dividends. A dividend is a profit that is distributed to the shareholders of a company, and you just reinvest that money. Compounding interest is what that is called. And over time, money that your money has made starts making more money and that becomes a really attractive beck.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's just a snowball effect. Yeah, that's investing to a t god it Okay, okay, okay, So now let's talk about ownership. You mentioned off air that it's simple and there are two ways to own shares directly and indirectly.
Speaker 1: I did. I also mentioned it on air, but like off air, absolutely, I've been ranting about this off air, like there is definitely a difference, and from my perspective, you're on the money, babe. But simply put, direct ownership is when you buy shares in individual companies, while indirect ownership often involves investing in funds that own the shares for you gossip. That's kind of like the difference between a direct share, like going I always use NAB. I don't know why, let's change it. You're going to buy a Combank share individually and Bechsaed is the owner, whereas you might go and buy an ETF or a managed fund that holds Combank. Combank doesn't know that Beck is the owner. What Combank knows is that ETF or that fund you've put your money into, they own a significant portion of that share. And that's how it's broken down. It's just an ownership structure. And as we'll get into it, we'll talk about I guess the pros and cons, but they are kind of much of a muchness in this day and age, like in theory. I do get that I do want to know more about the pros and cons, But why should I choose direct ownership? Okay, so I guess to summarize it, pros and cons are good. Direct ownership means that you actually get to choose the companies that you get to invest in well. Indirect ownership offers more diversification, being able to spread your investment across multiple companies so you can diversify your risk. Direct ownership, as I said, it kind of puts you more in the controls seat. You get to choose which companies align with your personal values and goals. Plus, if those companies perform well, your returns can actually be quite rewarding.
Speaker 3: Okay, and sorry if this is a really silly question, but probably not.
Speaker 1: This is She's on the money. No such things, dumb questions, sit down on, Thank.
Speaker 3: You very much, Victoria Albert. I want to know why doesn't everyone just do that?
Speaker 1: Why do you just do that?
Speaker 3: Why do you just do that?
Speaker 1: Sounds good right because you're like, especially the way I just explained it, I'm like, you've got so much control, you could make money. Beck.
Speaker 3: Usually cool.
Speaker 1: Why doesn't everyone just exactly? Because there's actually a number of downsides we need to consider as well. So with great power comes great responsibility, Beck. So they say direct ownership, it does come with higher risks because your returns are directly tied to the performance of individual companies. It also requires a whole heap more research and monitoring. To make sure that you are as an investor making informed and smart financial decisions. That kind of like onus, and the responsibility is far more on you.
Speaker 3: Ah, Okay, I got you. I got you. So I mean indirect shares have less responsibility.
Speaker 1: I mean, we could absolutely say it that way. That's how I personally feel about it. Indirect ownership, so things like managed funds or ETF they offer you far more diverseification. So essentially what you're doing is when you invest in a managed fund or in ETF, similar concepts. They're not identical. We'll get into that, but essentially what you're doing is investing in a basket of companies instead of just one direct company, which reduces the impact of you know, if one company isn't doing so well and you just went invested in that one, like you're going to feel all the losses, whereas if that one was one of two hundred beck it's a lot more consistent, it's a lot more level. You're getting more consistent returns. And to me as somebody who likes a more indirect approach to investing, because I think I've mentioned it before on the podcast, I do own ETFs, right, and I would argue that I don't want to say like one of the best investors. That's not what I mean at all. But like I'm very educated in this space. I used to do wholesale direct investing for ultra high netwalth clients. Well, I know how to do that. I don't want to do it. It's so much responsibility. Beck I love an ETF like it works for me and my personal situation because as much as I adore investing, don't get me wrong, don't tell anyone, but I do like to have a little bit of a punt on the side. I do like finding a share that makes sense to me and reading annual reports and investing. But that's such a small part of my investment portfolio because to me, that's fun. And if we look at the statistics, we know that index funds and edfs outperform investors who are trying to chase return. So like me chasing return and picking my individual stocks, it's not going to put me in a better position long term, so gotcha. Essentially, it reduces the impact if one of the companies that you pick doesn't perform well, and professional fund managers they essentially handle all of that for you. So say a company isn't performing that well in your ETF and it's one of two hundred, they might go, We're going to bullet it because they go and do all the research and they look into it and go, you know what, We're going to bullet that bank and replace it with this other one. It means that there's a more hands off approach and you kind of have some professionals in the background. Okay.
Speaker 3: Also, I just realized how different we are as people. When you said punt. I was immediately like, slap at the pokeys.
Speaker 1: You know what, that's like what I meant. That's kind of what I meant. But I do it on the aox because sports that are not getting my money. In fact, every time one of their ads comes up, which I don't know why it does on my TikTok, I'm like, get off my feet.
Speaker 3: Okay, interesting feat. I respect it. Now let's do a quick recap. What is an ETF for any managed fund and are they harder to buy than shares?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, that's a good question. Because I keep talking about atfs and managed funds, we definitely should dive into it. So a managed fund is also known as like mutual funds or like a unit trust. These are investment vehicles in which a fund manager they essentially take all your money, pull it together from multiple different investors, and allocate those funds to a diverse range of assets. These could include shares, bonds, other securities that they want to hold. Managed funds are typically overseen by what they call a professional funds manager, so that one usually white dude, Like there are female fund maashes that aren't many of them. This is obviously something that the average investor might not do. You might just go, oh, this one performs really well, Like you might go to a particular managed fund and go, I want to know more about it, but you just look at the investments. I go and look at the investments, and then I go look at the fund manager and go, who is he? Where has he worked before? What are his values? What are his morals? What's his tenure look like? Has he been working with this particular company for a year? Is he new? Has he been there for ten years? I'm honestly, I can't be trusted, so I like to do that. But essentially, this usual dude actively manages investment decisions on behalf of the investors. So Becky you don't have to make that decision because they're going to do it for you. Sure, and the aim is to achieve that fund's objectives. So that fund might have different objectives. So a fund might have the objective to meet the industry benchmark, So they might go, look, this fund is just investing in the top two hundred different shares on the ASA, and our plan is actually just to stay on track with what the market does. Great, no worries. There are funds out there that have the aim of beating the benchmark. There are funds out there that have the aim of doing lots of different things. Make sure you know that aim before you get into a fund, because it might not align with your value. Sure, if you're someone who's like, you know what, I want a really low touch ETFU managed fund, I'm just going to pick one that has the top two hundred. Make sure that the two hundred that they're picking are trying to meet the benchmark, not exceed it, because that would be a different risk profile. Again, because obviously if they're trying to be way more aggressive, like that's going to be a different situation than just like, oh, I just want to track the average of the average so ETF's on the other hand, they're a type of fund that tracks the performance of a specific market index or sector. So I'll give you an example, and ETF might track the SMP five hundred, which is essentially the top five hundred companies in America. I've heard about this one. Yeah, that's really standard. Often when you're like watching the news, so like you know, like the little scrolling bar at the bottom of the news, the SMP will usually be reported there, and a lot of people will be like, I don't know what that means, And it might be like a little green arrow going up or a little red arrow going down, or the yellow bar that's telling you if the SMP five hundred went up that time or down, or if it just stayed on track. So they might track the s and P five hundred, or they might track like a technology sector and only invest in tech companies. Just like managed funds ETFs, they pull all of your investors' money together into one big bucket and they invest in a diversified basket of assets. However, instead of being managed actively, so there's no one like Grampooba who's like making decisions every day making sure everything's tracking ETFs are usually passively managed, and their aim is to replicate the performance of their underlying index or sector. So like if it's the technology sector that I mentioned just before, they just go, oh, well, Beck, we've put together this list of twenty tech com The plan is to just get an average return of what the tech industry returns. You're okay, no worries. That makes sense. No, they're not harder to buy. That was your question before. Yes, they're not harder. They're not more complex. In fact, they are identical to buying a share, Beck. They are listed in exactly the same way on the AX. You buy them on a share trading platform, exactly the same way you would buy an individual share. There's nothing more complex about the purchase of them.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's good to know.
Speaker 1: What you will find though, while I'm on this topic, is that a managed funds fees are usually higher than an ETF because managed funds are actively managed. Sure for you need to pay for that active management, and ETF is usually lower fees because there's more of a passive approach. Does that make sense?
Speaker 3: That totally makes sense.
Speaker 1: So managed funds usually a bit more expensive, usually a bit more aggressive, usually trying to like beat a benchmark. ETF's usually a basket of the top performing shares in Australia, passively managed cheaper to purchase. Both are purchased on the share trading platform of your choice, listed in exactly the same way as a share would be cool. Does that make sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm really shocked actually that I comprehended all of that. Oh my god, I did say, thank you very much. That was fantastic. Now, as we've been talking, I've been writing down little bits and pieces, so I'm hearing terms like hin SRN.
Speaker 1: Ches's sexy. It's not the game, it's not the game the game. Do you know how to play chess? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Oh I love chess.
Speaker 1: I'm not smart enough for chess. I only know how to do chess through the share market.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, I think that's just as important.
Speaker 1: I would say, maybe more important, Probably the more important, unless you're like a competitive chess and you make lots of money. Drew.
Speaker 3: I'm fortunately I'm not at that level yet, but.
Speaker 1: I never will be. Don't worry.
Speaker 3: But no, I do think I need a little bit of time to break it down. Let's go on a really quick break and when we come back. We'll discuss it all.
Speaker 1: I'm excited.
Speaker 3: Let's go cool, we have back fee.
Speaker 1: I'm excited about this.
Speaker 3: We just knocked out the quick game of chess.
Speaker 1: Definitely did not it definitely did not say such thing as a quick game of chess.
Speaker 3: Actually, probably not. That's probably never exist.
Speaker 1: I reckon it does exist if it was like a really smart chess person playing against me, because they just go bam bam bam, Victoria, you're out.
Speaker 3: Yes, okay, I.
Speaker 1: Thought that chess was a like reflection of intelligence as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah me too.
Speaker 1: I'd always be like, oh, if you can play chess, you must be real smart. Yeah, and I never could so yeah, I could always felt really something self conscious about that.
Speaker 3: Oh no, it's not the case of chess. Yeah, absolutely, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Why you're drinks at the bar, you bring the chest out perfect.
Speaker 3: Now, I know exactly what I said before the break was that we're going to go into a few different terms. But I'm curious. I know that you were talking about how like when you're watching the news, you see that little bar at the bottom, and I always wanted to know what the all odds are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, that is a good one. It's very similar to the SMP so all odds if you want to look it up on the ASX, which is the Australian Stock Exchange, its code is x AO and so essentially the XAO. It tracks the top or the largest five hundred companies in Australia that are listed on the AX according to their market capitalization, so basically how big they are, and that will change over time, like if a company decreases in value, they might drop off the All odds and another company that's worth more comes on, So essentially the top five hundred largest companies in Australia. It's commonly referred to as the All ords because it's actually considered the benchmark index for gauging the performance of the broader Australian market. So the All Odds was originally calculated in I think it was nineteen eighty with a starting level of five hundred and represents close to ninety percent of the AX, so it's not like a little bit of the ASEX, it's a lot of the ASX and it's essentially a good way of quickly checking in and seeing how's the Australian market doing. If the all odds are down right, it means that ninety percent of the ASX is on its way down. There must be something going on in the economy that is, you know, pushing it down. If the all odds is up, it means the economy is doing really well. So it's kind of like that one number that's like a really good sense check or a pulse check to see what's our market doing. Is it okay? And it's a good idea to track this if you're an investor, not because you're going to invest in it, but because you want to have your finger on the pulse. And it can be really jarring. Right as a baby investor you've just started, You're like, oh, my gosh, my whole portfolio is completely off. Do you know what makes you feel a lot better? Looking at the all odds and saying, ah, the broader economy is a little bit off. Sure, this makes sense. So this is one of those things. I'm in the middle of writing my investing master class, and this is something that you know, I asked the community a little while ago, just in the Facebook group, because I haven't announced it publicly that I'm doing that. Listening to this on the pod, You're welcome, But we're writing an investing mask glass, and I said, what do you want to know? Like, obviously I can write everything that I know about the stock market and what that actually looks like, how to do it? What to start? And someone's question, I can't remember who it was, so do apologize? It was my favorite question? Yet She's like, what does it actually mean to do your research? So I go back, you know, before investing, do your research? What the heck can is invest in research? How do I do that?
Speaker 3: Great question?
Speaker 1: So I've made a whole unit on how to quote do your research and what to look at and what can make you feel a bit more comfortable because investing is one thing. Yes, I can show you how to do your research to check if a share or a ETF is a good investment for you personally and whether you would choose it or not with the right you know, technology behind it. Sure, but also like what about a bit of a sense check? Beck, Like, what if you're a bit stressed, how do I do a bit of research to make sure that I can just still feel a little bit comfy in the market? The all odds is something that I would look at first to go what's the broader economy doing If that's off, what makes sense that your shares are off? Beck because the whole economy is a bit messed up, right now, gotcha? That might make you feel a bit more comfortable. But yeah, the all odds is actually really important, and I'm glad you brought it up.
Speaker 3: Oh great, I've shocked that I finally figured out what that was, because I feel like it's something that we joke about in like high school. The all odds are.
Speaker 1: You don't know what it means, but essentially TLDR it's the top five hundred biggest companies in Australia and it's a benchmark to see are they doing well? Are they not doing well? It's why you'll see the all odds. The numbers aren't massive when they move right. It's always like the all lords are ze point one percent, right, like you never hear twelve percent. Yeah, because that's five hundred companies and the average is going to have to be pretty significant to have a bigger than a you know, a one or two percent jump, gotcha. But it'll always be small amounts and it's just like slow fluctuations. And then if you look at it over the broader, like you know, scale of time, because we say on the pod lame that it's my favorite saying when in doubt, zoom out, like look at the bigger picture back. You might see that the all lords over time are just slowly tracking upwards. That's reflective of a really healthy market. Or you might see it tracking downwards, like going into COVID, we saw the all lords track downwards. Going into any type of recession, we see it track downwards, and you can see how fast or slow that is and go, oh, that's happening pretty quickly or that's actually really slow. It's interesting once you know what it is. Yeah, Okay, I won't go on and on about it because I totally go it.
Speaker 3: And I could totally listen all day, but we do full of it an episode to get to all, right, what on Earth is h SRN and chess? Are these online games?
Speaker 1: Online game? Let's do one at a time. Can I break it up? Because I'm not gonna answer all three at one time because I think that would be irresponsible. And while my job often is to completely overwhelm you, it's funny someone slid into my DMS and the like utoria, this is so embarrassing, But sometimes I have to listen to your episodes three times to get them. It's not embarrassing embarrassing, that's smart. Yeah, it is like do you know how much research I often do on these episodes tojam pack them full of information that hopefully you get. Yes, I can't expect you to walk away. It's like going to a lecture. Did you listen?
Speaker 3: Probably not watch it three, four, five, six, seven times?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and on like double speed, Yeah, and not spend that whole time doing it. But it is not embarrassing to have to go back and listen to it again. In fact, hard to watch a Barbie movie three times before I got everything in it, Yeah, exactly, So like the same should be true for my podcast because like they're basically on part with a Barbie movie. Right, Oh yeah, oh absolutely. All right, So let's start with chess, okay, because it sounds the most like a game, and I feel like it's most spoken about in our community as well. So put simply, chess is clearing house electronic subregistered system, oh sexy. So essentially that means that the AX is just keeping a list of who owns what chess. That's what chess means. Okay, So it's the clearing house electronic subregister system. It's just registering everybody who owns shares in the ASEX. So if you go and purchase a share on the ASEX, they want to keep track of everybody. That's what CHESS does. So if your shares are quote Chess sponsored, it means that when you buy or sell shares on the ASEX, it has a record of you owning the shares directly or not. And this is the main way in Australia that people buy and sell shares because they go to a broker, They might go to an online platform purchase a share and then they will get a whole heave of paperwork, usually from computer share that says you now own this, here's your chest number, here's this, here's that, and it's just tracking that you're the actual underlying owner of that asset. Just be aware when it comes to choosing a broker for buying and selling these because some brokers are and some brokers aren't Chess sponsored. Don't mean they're worse or different. It's just something that you need to understand and we'll obviously get into those different arrangements soon. Okay, So I'm not going to go on and on about it now because I know I've got a round coming soon.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can feel it bubbling up. Okay, So this is if you're I'm assuming the owner of the share. But what if you're in an ETF or a managed fund? Will used to be chess sponsored? Does that?
Speaker 1: So that's where remember at the start of the episode, I said there's two ways to hold shares. There's indirect and direct. Yes, So a chess sponsor, if it is in your name, that would be direct.
Speaker 3: Gotcha.
Speaker 1: ETFs and managed funds are essentially indirect, and that means you are absolutely correct, Beck. If your shares are chess ASX sponsored, it means that you personally own them directly, so like the name on the certificate would say becksayed, rather than someone else holding them on your behalf like an ETF or a managed fund in the pool that we were talking about before, So you would receive dividends directly if you're the underlying owner of them. So that's essentially the profit the company pays to its owners, i e.
Speaker 2: You and you.
Speaker 1: Actually, if you're the underlying direct owner, you have voting rights. Not many people care about their voting rights, and let's be honest, if you only own one share your voting rights, they're not going to have the biggest influence. But that's okay. Some people really really want to have them. Is it bad that you don't own them directly? Is the next question. I think people are probably thinking no, not necessarily. Some people are honestly, wildly passionate about this. You might see it all over the internet if you are someone like me who is this embarrassing. Might be troll's reddit forums about like what shares are being bought and sold, in people's opinions on different ETFs, like I'm gonna need to know all of that information, right, But a lot of people will be like, it's terrible because it's not chess sponsored and you're not the direct owner of it. Rare anyway, I could not care less. But some people, as I said, are wildly passionate about it. But as someone who does arguably know the industry very well and invests in ETFs and managed funds directly, it doesn't worry me because all my investments are still safe and are still secure, and essentially what my shares in my ETF and managed funds are operating under is what's called a custodian model. So that all sounds very complex, you could say, but a custodian model essentially means that someone else is currently holding that share certificate on my behalf. It's all above board if either of those companies, like let's say the shared trading platform that I have picked, operates under a custodian model, which means that the etf I board or even sometimes the share that I buy isn't going to be my direct name. It's under this custodian model. You might go, but what if they go bankrupt, Victoria, what if they lose all their money?
Speaker 3: True?
Speaker 1: Are you going to lose your shares back?
Speaker 3: It's a good question.
Speaker 1: You're not, because it's held under a custodian model, which means that the owners of that company that you're investing with, they don't actually have access to that. They can't just transfer it to their name. Custodian means they're the custodians of it, not the the lying owner. The share owners are, and essentially the owner of the share. It isn't as clear as if it was responsored, but there still is a direct line of working that out, and that company can't just yeed off with your shares, Like, you're not going to lose out in that circumstance. The only way you would lose out, and you know there might be an issue with your share is if your share actually loses value, but it wouldn't have anything to do with your broker. However, in that custodian model, your shares are actually held within a trust. So remember in the first episode we were talking about trusts and direct ownership. Companies can set up trusts to hold their client's assets. So my shares are currently being held in a trust by my custodian, which is my broker, and they're not going to go missing if that company goes bankrupt or they shut down. So you're okay. And I think a lot of people get really worried about that because they're like, oh, but someone's going to, you know, take off with my shares because they've got my share certificate and I'm like, not so quick, Like, that's not how it works.
Speaker 3: Okay, how it works.
Speaker 1: So you're safer than you might think you are.
Speaker 3: That's good to know. It's always good to be safer than you think.
Speaker 1: Exactly.
Speaker 3: What about HIN and SRN, are they equally.
Speaker 1: Like I'm overloading this episode, but like, I feel like this all needs to go in the same episode, so I do apologize, but no, thankfully. So historically shareholders, you actually would have received like a share certificate, like a legit one in the mail to prove that you are the underlying owner of that asset. You can still receive those if you really want to. I get mine by email. Shares are now automatically held digitally on what's called a hi N if you go with a stockbroker, So a HIN. It's actually very simple. It means hold up identification number. Again. It's just a number that tracks who owns what and when and where, which is essentially like an ID card or an ID number for your shares. It's not super complex. You don't need to be super across it. Just know that each time you would buy, you would be, you know, given a HIN. It's essentially just to track your shares so the ASEX knows who owns what and when and where. M mmm, beck. You also asked about an SRN, So you're gonna have an SRN if you buy shares with the registry, So youon know how I said before, you get a HINT if you go with a stockbroker. If you go directly with the registry, you're actually gonna get an SRN, which stands for Security Reference number. Again just another ID number, okay, which is unique to each company's shares that you own. So both of which are honestly just acronyms for numbers you're gonna get when you register your investments. So no matter which way your shares are held, you remain ultimately the beneficial owner even if the stockbroker or the registry goes bankrupt. Oh so you're okay, you safe safe. These are tracking numbers, So if you get them in the mail, or you get them in your emails, save them somewhere important, in a folder in your emails, or like my favorite, I don't care paper in my house, I'm gonna lose it. But you know what if I don't lose pieces of paper in my house, I I have been on the phone and I flip them over and I draw all over us lists and then I rip them up like it is not a good idea. So I actually take photos of all of mine and just save them in an album in my phone, or I email them to myself. But definitely keep track of these numbers because ultimately they are important, but you're not going to use them every day when you're doing share trading.
Speaker 3: Great idea, d I don't know if you do the same thing as I take photos. I send it to myself and I put like a trillion different keywords in the email.
Speaker 1: I'm like, hi, n identification number for XYZ share share trading, stop broking investment account, like exactly, because what if I forget what to google email?
Speaker 3: What future are me going to think about?
Speaker 1: And I can't trust future me. I have proven to myself I can't be trusted. I agree.
Speaker 3: Okay, so I just want to quickly wrap my head around this all because it is a lot.
Speaker 1: It is a lot. I'm sorry, but I okay, you've gotten across it really quickly.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much. I mean, there might be gaps in my knowledge.
Speaker 1: But so the episode was so that we listen to it.
Speaker 3: To us exactly, if I buy shares directly in my own name, my own name will be listed down on the share register. Yeah, I'll be able to buy and sell individual shares whenever I want. My dividends will be paid directly to me, and I have voting rights.
Speaker 1: WHOA Yes, exactly. You're the money.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: You're on the money.
Speaker 3: That is so sick. Okay, So while I'm at it, when you indirectly invest, yes, the name on the share register is the ETF or the managed funds company. Yes, not my name, not your name. But they hold the assets on my behalf and manage what the ETF or managed fund is made up of. So I don't have to worry about buying and selling, yes, but I do. I still get my dividends though. What happens if the share makes a profit. Oh that's a good question. I like that you're thinking about this thing now. It makes me so proud. I'm like, oh, so you're just worried about where a dividends is going to go?
Speaker 1: Thank you something the profit still goes to you, do not worry, okay, So it will just be filtered directly through your et or managed fund. It does get distributed in a bit of a different way, but it's still there for you. You are not missing out. Often when it comes back in the fees that you've agreed to pay for your ETF or managed fund to get taken out of that amount and then it gets distributed to you or through your etfor managed fund. You might have picked what's called a dividend reinvestment plan, which means they never give you the cash. They actually just reinvest it back into the same ETF for you. So it's all automated, which can be really helpful because if you're planning to invest over the long term and you own a share, you know, and let's pretend it paid you ten dollars this year, you don't want that ten dollars this year. You want it reinvested into the share market so that it can grow over time and then when you reach retirement you can make use of it. But that's what I mean when I say the money that your money makes makes money is because the money that your money made gets reinvested, and then that money makes money. So that ten dollars that gets reinvested, then you know, might make a dollar next year, and then that dollar makes money and it just compounds from there. Okay, So it doesn't necessarily mean that you're missing out, but it might get filtered through a different way, but those profits are still yours. And like, for example, if Combank says that they're paying a dividend to investors, that is still going to come to you. Sure you don't miss out?
Speaker 3: Good to know, very good to know.
Speaker 1: Don't miss out.
Speaker 3: Don't miss out.
Speaker 1: And arguably the most important thing about investing is making money. So like, I'm not going to let you miss out. Oh joking, I'd be like, don't do that. That's terrible. You won't get paid. That would be silly, that would be so dumb.
Speaker 3: I trust that you're not done with teaching, but I probably amn you're done.
Speaker 1: Okay, don't worry.
Speaker 3: But before we wrap up, how do we pick which option works best for us?
Speaker 1: Okay? So this is a good question, but also a really personal question because like, I can't tell you what's going to work best for you. From my perspective, it's really important to consider your goals and your risk tolerance and your lifestyle. Like some people might want to be individual share traders and consistently, you know, rebalance their own portfolios and manager that way. If your hands on and you want to pick your own companies, like direct ownership might actually be your own style, Beck, But if you're looking for diversification, maybe a little less involvement, maybe a little less risk. Because when you diversify more, Beck, you're lowering your risk. So the more diversification you have, the more risk you have. Maybe indirect ownership is a better fit because you go, well, I can get instant diversification less involvement if I go and buy a top two hundred asx ETF, And that might make you really comfortable. But again, you might be widely passionate about picking your own shares, or maybe you don't want the top two hundred, or maybe you just want a bit more control. So it's really going to depend on who you are and what you do. And as I've said, you know this is what I do, but I do both. I'm not saying that both is right for you. I do both because let's be honest. Direct share investment for me is me having a good time in the share market. I love it, Beck It's so lame, like I love not my research. I love looking at new companies and what they are made up of, and what their board looks like, and what their CEO has done historically and how they've performed. That is not everybody's cup of tea. Everybody else in our community, or a lot of people in our community might turn around and be like, V we hear you, we see you. We understand the importance of investing. We know that to create financial freedom, we want to invest. But I just want to send some money into an investment every month and not think about it again. Ye, you're a psychopath. I am not going to be looking at the annual reports of each and every single company, because one, I don't comprehend them, but I also just don't care. That's fair and that's so fair. So I think that understanding the difference between indirect and direct investing is going to be a really personal decision. But I think the crux of this episode is helping you to understand that when we talk about HIN or SRN or chess, those things are not as important as a lot of people, you know, jump up and down about and say, Oh, it's so important. That's chess sponsors so you have direct control. I personally don't need direct control. What I want is to know that if everything goes south, my investment is going to be safe, irrespective of who was the custodian of that. And I know I'm safe, so I'm fine. And I think that a lot of people in our community wanted to hear that, because you go, well, if it's not chess sponsored, maybe it's less secure, and that's not the case at all. So that's where I'm at. But it's going to be a personal decision, not a decision that I can make for you, because I don't know you well enough. I wish I did, so let's hang out.
Speaker 3: I guess, like, lastly, are there any regulations we need to be aware of?
Speaker 1: A look at you with your questions, all right, So owning shares obviously comes with lots of different rules and regulations. But don't worry. We won't dive right now because I really want to go home now into the technicalities of them. But just know that direct ownership, as we've been talking about it means that you have to stay informed and you have to actively manage your investments, so like you've got to be across it. You've got to do all the reporting. Yourself managed options like a managed fund or an ETF, they actually handle most of the regulation for you. So that's kind of an attractive thing. We won't Maybe I'll do a whole episode one day on regulation, but it won't be that sexy. Sure, maybe will do it as a bonus for people who are just like me, because I know you will not give two flying fruit bats. I've already yeah, you're like, no, I don't even know why I asked you the.
Speaker 3: I actually have done now, But to make sure everyone's on the same page, just give us a really quick overview of one more over, you're like, really drill in envy?
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: So, obviously today we have covered the basics of direct and indirect ownership of shares. We have talked about direct ownership when it comes to investing directly in shares on the AX or any stock exchange, to be honest, and we've talked about indirect ownership through managed funds and ETFs. Obviously, these are not the only asset classes that exist in the world. These are just two really good examples of how these work. I think we need to also remember there's no such thing as a one size fits all approach, and as I said before, choose the method that aligns to your goals and your values, not just what someone on a Reddit thread said was the most important thing. Honestly, great advice. Don't take Reddit as gospel.
Speaker 3: I'll have to remember that you done done, I'm done done.
Speaker 1: Oh, I think we deserve some cheeky mickeyde's.
Speaker 3: Let's do it. Let's go.
Speaker 1: We have a good week, guys.
Speaker 4: We love you.
Speaker 3: Bye bye, guys.
Speaker 4: The advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision.
Speaker 1: If you do choose to buy a financial product.
Speaker 4: Read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial.
Speaker 1: Advice tailored towards your knee.
Speaker 4: Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of money sherper P T y L t D A b N three two one six four nine two seven seven zero eight a F s L four five one two eight nine