Speaker 1: On air, and I have radio. She's on The Money Radio Show with Victoria Divine starts now, oh hello and welcome, so that she's on The Money Radio Show podcast. The radio show podcast for millennials who want financial.
Speaker 2: Freedom that you know what, we'll take it for there. This week was well we call it a doozy or a win, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean we saved money on paying people. We got slave laboring, which is fantastic.
Speaker 2: I literally tried to replace myself with three ten year olds.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I was like, you know what, I'm thirty thirty one, so you know what, I'll get three ten year olds that is equal to one Victoria.
Speaker 1: I was going to say, collectively, probably more mature than me or Mitch put together.
Speaker 3: So honestly, I genuinely felt like Alice had it in a wrap. She was like, no, I know what I'm doing. This is how you should do it. We had the best chats. I have pulled so much content from our conversation that didn't make it to radio that I'm going to use on the podcast because I was like, you know what, this is wild.
Speaker 1: Not only that it's actually hilarious to see, like the reactions of these kids when they thought something cost a certain amount or somebody got paid a certain amount, and then when we told them how much it action made I think we've actually armed them with this kind of info. They are going to like rock out here.
Speaker 3: I tried so hard not to be rude because I was like, I don't want to laugh at their responses because that's kind of rude. But when they said that a nurseer in six grand a year, I was like, oh, oh, this is going to offend some people.
Speaker 4: I love it. Well.
Speaker 5: Do you think that we were that intelligent when we were kids? I feel I was that sweet.
Speaker 2: I wasn't. I wouldn't have had a clue.
Speaker 3: If someone had said to me at ten, Hey, Victoria, like what's your budget tip, I'd be like, what's a budget?
Speaker 1: Babe?
Speaker 2: Like what are we talking about here? What do you man?
Speaker 1: How much can I buy from quick stop down the shop?
Speaker 3: That's all I was going to Honestly, all I cared about was getting my mum to walk up to the corner shop with me because I wasn't allowed to go on my own because I really wanted to buy mixed lollies.
Speaker 2: And then I'm.
Speaker 3: Pretty sure I pissed her off by the amount of time I would spend, like working out which whizz fizz or fizzle Lolli I was gonna buy, and should I get a gob stopper because they last longer. But also that you remember the ghost drop y it's like, you know, five for a dollar or something.
Speaker 2: Honestly, it was. It was the biggest issue I had as a child.
Speaker 1: That's what I was going to say. I want to give a shout out to Charlie at Quick Stopping Kenwick because he used to have the most patients ever. There would be always ten kids just standing there for an hour with their dollar, going.
Speaker 3: I get five ghost drops, then I can't get a fizzer. And fizzers were like twenty cents each.
Speaker 1: They were, oh my god, so good, and they were like the biggest investment. You go like, okay, but I've only got a dollar here, so if I want that, I'm not going to be able to get anything else.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And do you remember how expensive pez refills were, Like you remember those flip top lollies where the like little lolli that didn't even taste that good came out, but you're like was super novel and they always had like Disney characters and stuff. All of those pears refills were like a dollar, so I never wanted to buy them, but I always wanted the refills. So anyway, it was a lot as a kid to go through.
Speaker 1: And this is just absolutely stamps home how intelligent these three ten year olds were considering we're still talking about lollies and they're telling us about, you know, investing and putting fifty to fifty split into this and that.
Speaker 3: So honestly, I got some advice for my wedding from them just before, and they said that I should have only spent one hundred dollars on flowers, and I definitely shouldn't be paying the celebrant.
Speaker 1: I think Steve might have had something to do with that.
Speaker 3: Your maybe he slipped that, maybe he's slipping that in. But you know what they did tell me. They told me that the dress is more important than the suit, So take that, Stevens.
Speaker 5: They also had some hot political takes on the gender pay gap and men versus women are traveled.
Speaker 2: That got real spicy.
Speaker 1: I just like equality, that's all one thing. It's quite funny how people talk about equality but then say somebody should be paid more than the other person, It's like, well, equality means equal guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but they also knew that women are putting in far more unpaid labor, and they said that shouldn't be happening.
Speaker 2: So these kids were very switched off.
Speaker 1: I got put in my place. Anyway, we did. We had a bit of funds to that place. We had a bit of fun as well, because we did Facebook Marketplace, trash, autrosure, dead pet themes by accident this week.
Speaker 2: Honestly, it was It was morbid.
Speaker 1: It was great, really iconic.
Speaker 2: I'm probably going to have a chat to our producer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we probably should get into the show. This is She's on the money right now, enjoy.
Speaker 3: What do the kids today know about money? Should I ask you, mich are you going to be in the no here?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Well this kind of came up organically. Was it last week or the week before it? It came off the back of canteen chat as food is always related. But I was wondering, like, do kids pay the same price as we paid in school these days? Because inflation isn't just affecting adults, right, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Do you remember pocket money and going and doing school lunches like I used to think it was the biggest honor to have to carry the washing basket all the way to the canteen with everyone's paper bags and their orders on it. And then at lunchtime you were on lunch order, Judy, go to the lunch order spot. You'd pick up your lunch orders and get to bring them back to the class, and the class thought you were the hero.
Speaker 4: And remember money was sticky taped to the front. Yes, the change, the.
Speaker 3: Change, and you had to make sure you had an envelope and you had to like write down everything that you wanted and it always equaled like four dollars.
Speaker 2: And I would get like a.
Speaker 3: Choky milk one of my meat pies and like you know, a zooper duper or something, and that.
Speaker 4: Was wild pizza pockets.
Speaker 2: Pizza pockets. You are young, aren't you. That was definitely not on the menu for me.
Speaker 4: What did you have dried toasted milk?
Speaker 1: It was back in the war days, yes, so it was more cruel. But no, my mom used to work in the library, so I used to go at lunchtime and go and see my mum, and she'd always give me two bucks and I'd go and buy myself a little joker or fudge.
Speaker 2: But money wi a lot money.
Speaker 3: We used to have juice cups at our school, so they were literal cups of juice that had been frozen eighty cents a pop.
Speaker 2: Money Weed.
Speaker 1: I mean, you're a massive podcaster obviously now in the finance world. When did you actually start loing and getting educated about money?
Speaker 4: Vine?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Look, I grew up with an accountant dad, so he was teaching us since the early days. But the real question here is Victoria, when did you start listening?
Speaker 2: And I still have it? Like I really haven't. My dad's still like, ah, Via, are you sure you should be doing this?
Speaker 3: I'm my dad, Dad, sit down, It's all good, don't you know? I have a podcast? So people trying good with money? V Like, do you think that's where it stemmed from?
Speaker 2: I reckon. My parents were really good with money, to be honest.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm not going to be like, oh, they were super wealthy, but like, one thing I do remember is my mum being the queen of budgeting. Like, she is so good at money that I would argue she's probably the one that should be running this podcast.
Speaker 2: Let's be honest.
Speaker 5: That's a good spin offs on the money, Oh my god.
Speaker 4: The ardly sin.
Speaker 5: But wait, VI did you get pocket money growing up? Like what was your money?
Speaker 1: Do you know what?
Speaker 3: I did get pocket money growing up, And my dad had a strategy for this. It was fifty cents for every year old you were, So if you were six, you got three dollars, if you were twelve, you got six bucks.
Speaker 2: So if you were thirteen, though, you get six dollars.
Speaker 3: Fifty So every single year on your birthday, your pocket money went up by fifty cents and that was per week. So that's what we earned, and that was the strategy around it.
Speaker 1: But I guess everyone always says that they never learn enough about money when they're growing up in school, like it's always when am I going to need algebra? What do you teach me how to say for a house or pay my mortgage?
Speaker 4: And what is interest?
Speaker 6: Please? Also?
Speaker 3: So I just feel like these days, when it comes to money, it's so much more widely understood that it's really behavioral, not so much about the one plus one equals too.
Speaker 2: And I feel like I did sit down and we did all of these.
Speaker 3: I remember being in primary school and we were we had the fake shop to learn about money, and we would have to put the prices on it, and you know, take our fake money or monopularly money or whatever they'd gin an us and we'd buy things at the fake shop. And I also remember learning about money in that it was.
Speaker 2: A reward in our office.
Speaker 3: And I just feel like nowadays we really need to teach them that the way that we transact around money is really linked to our thoughts, our values, our beliefs, and our behavior. And I just think that that should be really a part of the curriculum beyond like, hey, here's how to put money in a bank account.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how much did you learn from Dolomites, Mitch.
Speaker 5: Oh, got nothing. I think it was empty my whole childhood career. I don't even remember what the point of that was other than the artwork on the yellow check book, remember.
Speaker 3: Literally and asking Mum and dad the morning of Dolomites, dating like, Mom, I need money for my dolomites, and I'll be like, oh my gosh, I completely forgotten then, like scrambling to get stuff from her person being like oh, here's eight bucks or whatever. It was, like, that's my memory of it. And as much as we were being taught quote about the banking system. I really don't think that it was ever taught to me that, Victoria. If you want to achieve X, this is how and when and where and why. And I just think that I'm obviously quite passionate about this and would love to take it to schools. But you know, I've got to work out how that might happen to begin with.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we don't need you to go to schools. We're going to bring the school to the studio, right, Trav. We have some kids outside the studio right now.
Speaker 3: Have we asked their parents' permission or where did these kids to actually come from?
Speaker 1: No, we have It's all above board. Don't worry about that.
Speaker 3: They are our producers kids, which is one of the benefits of having a producer with kids, right you can exploit them.
Speaker 1: And she's also very good at looking after us who were pretty much like her own kids.
Speaker 2: Can recommend her as sorry, got mother if you need one.
Speaker 1: Let's see what kids nowadays know about money. Let's bring our three ten year olds into the studio, see what they actually are learning against.
Speaker 5: That's good.
Speaker 2: Can they know a lot about money?
Speaker 4: Or do I think we'll be shocked?
Speaker 2: Let's get them in.
Speaker 1: What a team.
Speaker 4: Well, we're a team that's about to grow by three.
Speaker 5: Because last week on the show, we were talking about kids and what they can afford these days at school and the school canteens, and do kids know about finance? Because your podcast, Victoria, so many hundreds of thousands of listeners, millions, some would.
Speaker 2: Say literally millions. Yea, undermining me.
Speaker 5: No, I didn't want to fight in front of the children because we've got autumn, Charlotte and Alice, we want to know what do kids know about money these days?
Speaker 4: Guys?
Speaker 5: When I was in school, like in the early two thousand and two thousand and five, we had dollar mites, which is like a Commonwealth bank thing where we were given check books and we had to write checks and we had to bank. And that was our introduction to banking. What do you guys get taught about money at all in school?
Speaker 2: Charlotte maybe really excited about this.
Speaker 7: We do learn about money in school. And at our school, we used to have.
Speaker 2: Those books, Oh how did you use that?
Speaker 7: So we used to put in like five dollars every week.
Speaker 2: And what did you do with the money?
Speaker 7: Or we could really save it for whatever we wanted to save it.
Speaker 2: For Where did your five dollars come from?
Speaker 7: Our parents?
Speaker 3: And did they give it to you as pocket money or just for this program? Or like why the program very very cooled. So the Shees on the Money Community have a number of questions for you guys. And the first question is what is money? We're going to go with you autumn. What does it do? Why do we have it?
Speaker 8: Well? You can buy things with it? For an example, like you could buy like a water, Alice.
Speaker 2: What do you think money is?
Speaker 9: It's something you can buy different things with depending on the cost, depending on how much you have. Just so you want to buy a car, you save the money you needed and when you have enough you could go buy a car.
Speaker 2: That's a good example. How much would a car cost?
Speaker 8: Probably like forty k forty k oh, she's buying a ball a car, Charlotte.
Speaker 2: How much would a car cost? Do you reckon? Maybe twenty six twenty six thousand, Alice? How much do you think of car costs?
Speaker 7: I don't really know, but I'd go with like nine two hundred.
Speaker 3: I like it, it's like nine grand, but also you've got to pay some fees, all right.
Speaker 2: Next question I've got for you when you're a parent.
Speaker 3: You have to go to work and you have to put you know, money in your bank account to put food on the table, and like pay for rent or pay for the house. But how much do you think that stuff actually costs? Like, how much money do you think that your parents spend on you?
Speaker 2: Maybe each year?
Speaker 7: Probably about maybe like thousand or something.
Speaker 2: A thousand you reckon? What about you, Charlot?
Speaker 7: Maybe three thousand.
Speaker 2: Three thousand dollars a year?
Speaker 7: Yes, gosh, Christmas presents, Birthday presents, and my dad he usually buys usleep something really special for Christmas, like something from Apple or something every.
Speaker 3: Year, Oh my gosh. And what about you, Alice? How much do you reckon it costs to keep an houris each year?
Speaker 9: Like around two thousand, five hundred.
Speaker 3: I feel like these are really big numbers, but there's also other costs I want to know about. So when it comes to putting a roof over our heads, right, like you guys have heard of a mortgage? Right, how much each week do you think it costs to pay for a house a week?
Speaker 2: A week?
Speaker 7: Maybe seven hundred or.
Speaker 3: Something seven hundred a week? Oh my gosh, Charlotte, what do you reckon?
Speaker 7: It costs a week, I'd say probably five hundred.
Speaker 2: Five hundred, and what about you.
Speaker 9: Alice, probably like six hundred and fifty.
Speaker 2: Whow that's so much money? All right?
Speaker 3: So we're going to go through what people earn based on their sector, so what type of job they have. So we're going to start with healthcare and social assistance. So this would be like nurses and.
Speaker 2: People working in caring roles.
Speaker 3: Autumn, straight out the gates. What do you reckon they earn ten grand?
Speaker 2: What if I.
Speaker 3: Told you that the average registered nurse in Australia has a salary of seventy nine thousand dollars each and every single that's a lot.
Speaker 2: That's a lot. I was close. You were close.
Speaker 3: Well if we divided it by ten maybe all right, guys, I want to know next, what do you think a policeman makes Charlotte?
Speaker 7: Maybe so seventy eighty thousand, Oh.
Speaker 3: My gosh, you're right on the money. What about a teacher.
Speaker 9: Probably like forty thousand.
Speaker 2: Forty thousand. What do you reckon, Charlotte?
Speaker 7: Maybe ten to twenty thousand, ten.
Speaker 3: To twenty thousand, autumn probably twenty five twenty five?
Speaker 1: Is this what we think they're worth based on your teachers.
Speaker 3: No, and they should get paid probably like fifty fifty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, teachers a hard job. Teachers are a hard job. They have to put up with you guys. I agree.
Speaker 3: So what if I told you that the average teacher salary in Australia is eighty six thousand, three hundred and fifty seven dollars each year.
Speaker 2: That's a lie. That's a lot.
Speaker 1: I think we should give the girls a little bit of a break and some more sugar.
Speaker 4: I had they could raid the prize vault.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they actually did.
Speaker 3: They actually did. We'll take them out there during the break. But girls, you need to get your stuff together because I haven't done my work this week and I'm going to need your help to do some Super Savior Saturday tips right after this, all.
Speaker 1: Right, we're going to play Australia's favorite game though, Facebook Marketplace Trash or Treasure. If you think you're a Facebook Marketplace pro, you can find us some trash or treasure. Hit us up. She's on the Money on Socials. This is she's on the Money radio show Why Are You Fair? Book?
Speaker 3: It is time to do Facebook Marketplace Trash or Treasure. As a team, we love to trawl through Facebook marketplace to see what incredible finds we might be able to stumble across. I definitely have been leaning on the shees on the money community here though, and the one that I have got might have been sent to me, might have found it online myself. We also like to find and present you guys with some worthless trash. Basically it's what makes Saturday is so great. So guys, what have you found this week?
Speaker 2: Mitch?
Speaker 3: Can you take it away first? Because you have not stopped telling us that we are not gonna like this one.
Speaker 4: Well, it's not. It's not that you're gonna like it. It's just you might bring up your breakfast.
Speaker 2: Because oh yeah, cool, can't wait?
Speaker 4: Dog rug in brackets Snoopy. Now I know what you're thinking, Snoopy.
Speaker 2: Well that's the nast Snoopy rug. Is that like the Snoopy dog brand?
Speaker 5: No, it's not a Peanuts rug, it's it's Snoopy the family dog who Kafi in the UK has turned.
Speaker 2: Into a rug a rug.
Speaker 5: The description is treasured family pet has to be sold as new dog keeps trying to hump it looking for one hundred pound or nearest offa very cozy and unusual piece. And it's a wheeler that they've had tax dermy into it.
Speaker 2: They turned their dog into a rug when it died.
Speaker 4: Is, to be honest, a good price?
Speaker 1: What's the conversion there?
Speaker 2: Two hundred dollars for somebody else's dead dog.
Speaker 5: I'll DM her one fifty or nearest offer, That's what I'll say.
Speaker 2: Oh hard, no from me, Trav. What do you reckon? Is that trash or treasure?
Speaker 1: Treasure?
Speaker 2: You reckon treasure? I don't know how I feel about this. This makes me really uncomfortable.
Speaker 3: I'm such poorer taxidermy your dog once they passed away.
Speaker 4: Do you know what?
Speaker 3: I want to move on for a This we've deemed the treasure because I feel really rude if we called that trash. Trav, what are you bringing to the table this week?
Speaker 1: I don't want to keep the pet train going. But Victoria, this is something amazing You're going to love because it is a beautiful dress.
Speaker 7: Oh.
Speaker 1: She describes it as Talbot's sheath dress with rosette.
Speaker 2: It is applic what is it applicuet?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 2: That yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Nice cat hair all over it from my cat who passed away last year.
Speaker 2: What is with you in dead pet.
Speaker 1: A special gift for the cat lover cat lady in your life?
Speaker 3: Can I see the picture of this? That is heinous? Are you kidding? It's a no from me? How much are they trying to get for that?
Speaker 2: Trav oh a.
Speaker 1: Cheap price of one hundred and twenty dollars.
Speaker 2: Victoria, I actually can't, Mitch.
Speaker 3: Would you buy a dress that had somebody else's dead cat fur on it?
Speaker 4: Also?
Speaker 2: Did you two call lude? You you know what we should do dead pet content?
Speaker 3: In fact, I'm really disappointed I don't have a pet themed marketplace fined this week, guys.
Speaker 2: It is very good.
Speaker 3: This has been sent in through by Liz, who is one of our she's on the Money radio listeners. She says, Victoria, you're moving into your new house very soon. Can't miss this, so it's cussed made. It is a barbecue cooler combo, so it's kind of got like a fire pit and a ice box so you can like sit around the fire pit and then grab a drink straight out of the ice box, which sounds really good. It's eight hundred bucks, so it's a pretty big investment, I reckon. But it's actually a toilet, oh my, so they've made the fire pit out of the toilet bit and in the cysteine where you would keep the water, you can just feel it full of ice and pop your drinks. In innovation innovation plus, I would have never thought of this.
Speaker 2: I mean, it definitely is custom.
Speaker 3: Made because they've popped a grill over the top of the toilet bowl so that you know, you could probably use it to barbecue your food, make a steak, or you know, do literally anything you want with it, because like, the options are endless here.
Speaker 2: Love that it's been repurposed dead pets and toilets.
Speaker 1: So what we do best right here on Seese on the Money. But hey, if you've got a Facebook marketplace, trash your treasure, hit us up on socials just search Shees on the Money. Coming up next, though, let's get those girls back into the studio Victoria and your little super save As Saturday this week, we are.
Speaker 3: Going to get the girls to give you some hot tips on how to keep more bucks in your bank account. So don't go anywhere if you need some financial advice from three ten year olds.
Speaker 1: No other show in the world would give you that kind of service. Very special edition of this this week guys since the Save This Saturday.
Speaker 5: Okay, every week Victoria gives us some sneaker tips on how to keep more bucks in your bank account, and we get really good feedback, like this is genuinely very good.
Speaker 4: Today could be a little bit.
Speaker 5: Different because we got our little pals back in the studio today. Earlier on in the show, you would have met the wonderful Autumn Charlotte Alice.
Speaker 3: And they are going to share this week a savings tip each. So, Alice, what is your savings tip?
Speaker 2: It could be for anything.
Speaker 9: I think when you're saving money, kind of like split it fifty to fifty, So fifty percent of it is going to lie what you're saving for. Then the other fifty percent is like just like you see something and you want to buy it, then you have the freedom to do that.
Speaker 2: I love this. What do you reckon, Mitch? Do you reckon that would work for you?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Listen, I was a peggybank kid growing up. Do you girls have any cash? Do you keep cash or do you have your own bank accounts?
Speaker 7: I have cash because for Christmas and birthdays I get cash from my aunties and uncles and nannais and things.
Speaker 5: Do you have one name that gives you more Like I'm Dutch, so I've got a Olma. She gives me twenty dollars in a scratchy but my nan my net. Oh, she gives me one hundred and two fifty dollars notes. And I don't tell Olma that Nan is more generous. But do you have one stingy n and one really generous one?
Speaker 7: Yes, So my dad's mom is much more generous, but my mom's mom isn't so generous.
Speaker 1: It's okay to call them out because it just means that your nana needs to be better.
Speaker 3: Oh, Trav, pull your head in. Let's move on from that autumn.
Speaker 2: I want to know what is your savings tip?
Speaker 8: Mine is probably put some of your money in your bank account when you're older, Like if you have a bank account, and you can like save that for like holidays, like buying special things. So yeah, that's that's my tip.
Speaker 3: What about you, Charlotte? What is your number one money tip of the week?
Speaker 7: Probably to always have backup money, so like say, if you lose your job, you'll still you'll have money to lean on.
Speaker 2: I love this, literally, guys, you are going to know all the time I talk about this all the time.
Speaker 6: Oh my gosh, what about you, Alice, Well, I think it's really important, especially like the job I want to go into, you might not always be hired, like, so you need to have the money to be able to still keep yourself up right and keep working for it.
Speaker 1: I think you guys have been listening to our Showler.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, guys, I feel like those tips are absolutely going to help us stretch our bucks a little bit further each and every single week.
Speaker 2: Trav, are you happy with the tips that they've given this week? Do you reckon? I'm out of a job.
Speaker 1: I think they're the best tips we've ever had on this show, just putting it out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look so much for you. I can't do much.
Speaker 3: Look, I'm probably going to be made really redundant soon. Between that she's on the Money Community basically running trash or Treasure and these three actually running the money saving segment, Like, I literally don't need to be here.
Speaker 1: You are Australia's number one finance podcast. Sorry, follow, don't you forget that? All right? We do got to get out of here, Mitch. You're sticking around the life on Cut Radio show with Britt Hockley and Laura Burne. They are coming up next with you, sir, have yourselves a great week and we'll see you next week. Guys see