Speaker 1: It's in the news today, but it was actually on TV Reload, the podcast Last Leap overby Hey guys, welcome back to TV Reload. I want to thank you for clicking and downloading on today's episode with one of my besties, Alana MacLean, someone who I have used as the official headquarters of the Bravo Universe commentary for many years. I hope you've been enjoying our episode recaps so far. We're obviously just leaking our private phone conversations at this point, because, let's face it, we would be debriefing real Housewives of Beverly Hills even if we weren't recording it and putting it on a podcast. Today, we will unpack episode three, which includes our hot takes on what the girls got up to this week, and including some of our golden nuggets of gossip that we have found from scouring the internet. We will discuss the change of pace in the episode and if the producers are trying to avoid negative backlash and the social media commentary. I will get Alana's perspective on Kathy Hilton's hats, and we will find out how much they are worth and if you should buy them yourself. We will address the awkward x wive that ban Kyle and duritz and ability to relinquish their roles in PK and Maritzio's new Bachelor Lives. You were going to get plenty of commentary on Durreit's continued beef with Kyle, what we think of Teddy Mellencamp being dragged in, if Kyle has her heart in this season, and what the producers are foreshadowing with this whole Kyle Richard's takedown. There is so much to talk about, with so many inside revelations from Alana in my perspective, So sit back and relax as we unpack the wonderful world of the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills Season fourteen, Episode three, Hey, how are you hello?
Speaker 2: So good to see you or hear you or both.
Speaker 1: I want to know about Christmas? So you losing your mind? Slipping into the Christ's period?
Speaker 2: Losing it. I've embraced my Martha Stuart era, and I've decorated the new house and I've made what like I've got some inspo from Instagram and they made like a little kmar village. And I spent eighty dollars on a light up read for the tree like I've gone besert. I need help, like send help.
Speaker 1: I just know you so well that you know your version of Christmas is like Western Australia's version of Kathy Hilton's Christmas Party.
Speaker 2: It's just my biggest goal is to be like Kathy Hilton in that way. It's so right.
Speaker 1: How's your no, I'm like the Kim Richards Christmas.
Speaker 2: Just a whole lot of empty.
Speaker 1: Bottles, empty bottles everywhere.
Speaker 2: Just a responsible amount of empty bottles.
Speaker 1: Well, here we are episode three, which is very exciting because I feel like we're moving very quickly and we're getting into things, and it's being able to tell us whether or not we're going to stick on one storyline or whether we're going to go in other places. So we'll get into that. However, last week I did ask you a question that I want to revisit straight away because our listeners may want to know your answer to it. But do you think some of the toxic culture online has subsided since Lisa Renner has left? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Well, you were the one that was more on Twitter, keeping abreast of it all, sort of see it on Instagram or Facebook, where all those accounts that you know, you sort of follow would repost things, and I guess there's been a shift in that I'm not seeing as much of it in terms of the heaviness. You know that we are the biggest Lisa Rinna fans. We loved Renna, but everyone obviously put a lot on her and really came for her. But it's so interesting that you brought that question up at the end of last week's episode. And when I watched this week's episode, I was like, hang on, this is maybe because production are giving us deliberately lighter episodes. Because last night's episode with the delivery of Kathy Hilton delivering these suitcases the Lorna Murray hats. She's Australian. By the way, side note, I would like to know how her online sales are going today, because literally how the episode is about those hats.
Speaker 3: I wanted to do something extra special, so I'm invading the girls with invitations inside personalized suitcases, and there was just nothing.
Speaker 2: There was the duck Duck goose, and there was nothing really happening on the trip, and there's Cathy eating a banana, and I was just like, I actually paused it at one point and was like, how far in are we? And we were eighteen minutes and I was like, I've seen nothing. So maybe that's why the toxic culture is backed off online a little bit because production giving us lighter episodes to sort of combat that.
Speaker 1: What do you think, Well, my first question is obvious, and that is the only way we know whether or not those Kathy Hilton hats of selling, whether it's an Australian person or anyone else, is if you've ordered one online.
Speaker 2: Well, I did look at them. My friend has to do. My friend actually has to They don't really suit me that much with the plates. I tried hers on and I was like, well, you know, I love a hat.
Speaker 1: I love a hat.
Speaker 2: I've got so many hats. Robbie's like, we're literally running out of room for these hats. I need a hat rom or something. But that particular style is probably not the best look for me. But I mean I might get caught up in the hype and just buy one anyway.
Speaker 1: That's all I want to know. That's what people want to know. They're expensive because Kathy Hilton dropping like.
Speaker 2: Yes, they're like two hundred bucks. Some of them are two sixty. But then she had a black Friday saleon, which is when I was looking at them and I was like, oh, but I didn't quite commit. But yeah, I wouldn't say they're a cheap hat.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, in the landscape of hats, and this might be a different podcast. Is that a cheap hat in the landscape of hats? That's what I want to know is is these Kathy Hilton hats expensively?
Speaker 2: No? I would say that's on the opperacial line for a hat.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, So do you think that we're getting a B side episode to combat the blowback? That's kind of what we were talking about.
Speaker 2: I feel like they're putting things in there that are just a bit simpler. They don't want everything to be as heavy. Having said that, it felt filler to me, it felt filler. I was like, what's happening? I think coming off those first two episodes in particular, where it was just hit the ground running from the start and you were sort of instantly involved in all the storylines and the kyl and jury drama and the breakups and the pque and all of it, and then suddenly we're just driving around for fifteen minutes watching Kathy Eta banana drop off some souit pases and then we're playing ducked up goose on a beach and some kind of running race. It just felt I wasn't looking at that thinking, oh, that's nice. I like watching the girls have fun. I was thinking this is really a bit snoozefest. Did you feel the same.
Speaker 1: It was a little bit third water slide at the water park for me being on the first water slide and you're like, oh my god, this place is amazing. Second water Slide's still good, and then the third water slide You're like, what am I doing here? And how am I going to spend the rest of my day at the water poss I don't understand why anyone ever tries to pad out a series. You've got to go so hard with television these days, and maybe Housewives, if Beverly Hills, they feel like they can do this. But I think it probably leans more into what you were talking about, and I think that they are trying to make sure that there's a little bit more fashion and fun so that we're not just getting hit over the head with too much of the fighting. Because I also feel like it would be very hard for Bose to come into this show and fit in correctly. If she's just going to come in and it's going to be blow by blow by blow.
Speaker 2: I no, I agree with you. I think look, I'm all for having some fun girly time. I think we could have seen more of the trip unless of Kathy delivering all the suitcases and stuff like that. Honestly just went on and on. I'm like, we're getting nothing from this. So that's where I think it was just a bit of a wasted opportunity.
Speaker 1: It's Kathy porn is what I like to call it, and I call.
Speaker 2: Goodness.
Speaker 1: But also Kathy is getting extra special attention this season to make sure that we as an audience like her. That's how I feel at this point of the show. And I went back and looked after watching, after hearing what you had to say about Kathy in Paris and Love and then going and watching a couple of those episodes from series one, she had some bad pare on doing that. I don't know who signed off on Paris and Love, like maybe Kathy was sitting at home was like, oh well, Paris has made some home videos, send them out without actually watching how bad she was. And then after we saw her say what she said about the DJ and Erica Jane and Lisa Rena holding her a task on that one, I feel like she's like, guys, Andy Cohen, I'm coming back. I'm coming back, but I want some Kathy porn, which is just me with glutton for good content. Feel good, Kathy.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's the quirks, That's what it is. And I feel like you could have one of those little quirk counters in the corner and I was like, Oh, Kathy eating potato with sour cream and Cavier quirky, Kathy wearing her hat, quirky, Kathy eating a banana, quirky, Kathy wanting to play Doc Dot Goose quirky. And it's and then saying things like, oh, which elephants in the room, like when they were about to start getting into you know, the ins and outs of these ten between Kyle and Durid, and then she sort of jumps in with her hunky Dory and witch elephants in the room and oh, I just feel like it is feeling very orchestrated. To use your word from last week, That's exactly what it is.
Speaker 1: It was so funny that she went for that joke. She was like Oh, this is the opportunity to say something like hunky dory again. But she didn't quite commit to it, she didn't sell it, and so it just landed with a massive thought, Yeah, I agree, and.
Speaker 2: Everyone is like, oh, Kathy's so funny and Kathy's so quirky, and I was like, no, I don't think this is coming now from an organic, witty place. I just feel like she's trying to cram all these things in. She knows that's what the audience was initially loving her for, and now we're getting we're getting smashed with it, and I think it's too much and I don't think it's coming across as authentic.
Speaker 1: Reality TV for me has always been about being a fly on the wall and getting the real content out of people, like what do people really behave like at home? And that's why Beverly Hills has always been so fascinating, because it is the slightest peak into how people live who are extremely wealthy and living the life that people like myself and I'm assuming you as well, would love to lead, and so we can live through them vicariously. And then when we as an audience watching these people sort of watering down that experience and putting on a performance. And I am kind of tilting into something here because Jennifer Tilly as well did feel as though she's kind of being a bit performancy as well. And then maybe she's read the handle. She's like to survive the Twitter clash or now it's called X, to survive the wrath of what those people are going to say about you. Maybe you be funny and quirky and don't give it all, which is not what we're there for. It's not what's written on the box.
Speaker 2: I agree. I think they've brought her in to be that similar personality type to Kathy and provide that comedic relief that offsets some of the drama so that that online narrative is calming down and simmering down. But I mean, we did find out about her marriage to Sam Simon, who was a co creator from the Simpsons. She receives money from the Simpsons like every month. She said, oh, thank you, Sam Simon.
Speaker 4: My ex husband was Sam Simon who created the Simpsons.
Speaker 1: And then when we.
Speaker 4: Got to Forest, I got a piece of the Simpsons in the door settlement, and nobody knew that the Simpsons was going to go on for a trilliance of here. So every day, honestly every day, I'm like, thank you, Sam.
Speaker 2: So that was interesting because I was thinking I've only seen her in a couple of things way back in the day. She's obviously loaded, and you start going, how But then when she said that, and then she's walking around with her Louis Vuitton thirty three thousand dollar limited edition boat bag, and she's friends with Sutton, who also receives this three hundred grand monthly payment, it is making a lot more sense where she's getting that cash. She's rich, honey rich.
Speaker 1: And a little bloated. I don't know what was in that bag, but she's obviously into the snacks.
Speaker 2: I don't know, Oh, Benjamin Norris, that's way I find that she looks different to the others, like refreshing. That's I quite enjoy that, But it's more the performative side of her personality that's feeling a bit forced for me.
Speaker 1: What do you think about the interactions between Kyle at the moment and Maritzio, Because I thought it was really fascinating to watch him coming into his old home, seeing what Kyle has done. I think he was being very well mannered and very taking it all on the chin. Oh you've changed this, Oh that's great, this is fine. And then when they sat down on the couch, she became so weird. As far as I'm concerned. I was like, when you start quizzing him on things that he's doing at his bachelor pad, I don't really think that that's your domain. It's not really good territory anymore.
Speaker 5: I assumed when Merl got this place that he was going to have it staged because it was temporary, but he decided to buy the furniture, which of course is more prominent.
Speaker 1: So I thought, oh, well, this.
Speaker 5: Does not seem very temporary.
Speaker 2: Yes, I agree. It was so strange because it's sort of you know, she was obviously the one that called called it off. She said, that's it, we're having a separation. She wasn't happy about something we never found out truly what it was, which we spoke about last week. She's protected him and she is continuing too, because we've never found that out. But it's sort of at that point she went out, We're seeing photos, we're seeing video clips of her in Morgan Wade, We're seeing you know, all the tabloids sort of fodder about those two and now it's almost like he's moved on. He's fine, he's moved out, and now she's a little bit pissed that he's not begging to come back. He's like, I've got my condo, I've got my p K. I'm like traveling and spraying champagne with twenty year old girls. And she's like, can I still buy you some sheets? Why don't you need me? You know, I did feel for her a little bit when she had that confessional. She's like, I'm not really a wife now, and I'm not a mother. I don't really know what to do with my time. So it's not that I don't get it, but I just feel like, if you're going to end it, you have to be prepared to let them go. He's not going to beg to come back. I think they're done.
Speaker 1: And you can also tell that she doesn't even realize this, but she's rejecting him in lots of ways. I thought the conversation with him was she mimicked him at one point, which made me laugh out loud, but then it made me realize what she still thinks of him. You know, Like there was a bit where he's got his big choppers out, his big farlap teeth, and they're obviously, you know, new teeth. They're not the teeth that he used to have any kind.
Speaker 2: Of pa both have new teeth. They're very white teeth. There's a lot of big white teeth, and I have big white teeth, but they do not happen in years, and so I can say I'm looking at some big white teeth.
Speaker 5: So funny.
Speaker 1: She kind of goes oh and represented her teeth out mock him, and I was like, oh my god, this is super duper awkward. I mean, I'm here for it because these are these are the moments that I was referring to earlier. These are those flying the wall things. Kyle Richards is very good at allowing us to have a little peek inside her life without completely giving the whole cowway, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Yes, And I think that was a perfect example of the fact that she was getting frustrated, so she turned to that sort of mockery because she was like, well, do you want to take Romeo the dog to your house? He was like no, thanks. She was like, oh, I painted the bathroom. She was expecting him to obviously go, I don't like it. She was like, well, I don't care. It's my bathroom now, and he's like, looks great. And then she's talking about the condo. He's like, I bought my furniture. I'm having a good time. It's all good with me. And you could tell she was getting frustrated, but she sort of had no right to be, and I think that's where the mockery came out. I just feel like it's very much a case of you break up with someone, but you sort of want them to fight for you to get you back, and I just don't think he's doing that. He's like, I wish you well, in the words of Gwyneth Paltrow, love you, wish you well. I'll be over here with some twenty year olds and my Dancing with the Stars partner and living it up. That's what I think.
Speaker 1: That is What do you think about the dynamics of men and women? Do you think that in that era of their relationship, there's a lot of women throughout that time that mothered their boyfriend, like mothered their husbands and looked after them. And whilst they've been like you can sit over there and all the rest of it they still really enjoyed looking after and having some control in that and that domain. And I think that is what we're going to see with Deret, that is what we're going to see with Kyle, that sort of relinquishing of that mothering role of their husbands because they don't like them doing things for themselves and they're not ready to let that go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think more so Kyle. She's always you know, ever since we've seen her on our screen, so it's like, I'm a mum and a wife. I'm a mum and a wife. She's really hung her hat on that. She's loved being a mum to the four girls, and whenever she's been upset, that's you know, she's like, well, that's my biggest job in life is to be a mom and to be a wife. So I think she's struggling with that. I think to Eat and PK, it is that power dynamic shift that you spoke about last week, and we saw PK say I was the breadwinner and we had this global jet setting lifestyle and you would come along with me, and now you make me feel less than But you know, I read some commentary online and I thought that's such a good insight that basically the takeaway from that is, well, now you prioritize our children, you don't prioritize me, and you have your own sort of power and fame with this show. You don't need me. And so he's pissed about that. So I think the Deret and PK is a bit separate than the Kyle and Maurisio thing. I think she really loved him. He hurt her in some way. She thought, I have to take a stand, but I will want him to beg to get me back. And I think she's upset that hasn't happened.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think he was going to beg for it. Where there's my fire. We heard so much for so many years, for basically the entire run of Beverly Hills or fourteen seasons. There's been rumors that he has been cheating on Kyle, like you know, yes, So he's always been like, I love you, look after the house, look after our children, but I'm also setting up this business and this empire and maybe having a little bit of a diddle along the way. So she got sick of Ittte. She said stop that. And then he goes okay, and then just adopts his new life, win his condo, and she's like, oh fuck, I'm sorry, that's not exactly what I wanted.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's what I think too. I think I think she was expecting him to say, I will change, You're worth it, I'll quit doing all these naughty things that I shouldn't have been doing. You're my number one, you know, And I just I can't see it happening. Meanwhile, she was out with Morgan Wade and everything in a hot minute, so I don't think she can be too upset. It's not like she was sitting there waiting around. I mean, I'm pretty sure something happened with those two, if not still happening. So it's all it's all very confusing.
Speaker 1: Well, I think it's a little bit of you think you could get away with doing that. Well, how do you feel like I think that she went and did this to be like, you know what, I've been sitting here on the sideline reading about your infidelity. Now you read about mine and see how it makes you feel, and then maybe you'll stop it and maybe we'll get back together.
Speaker 2: What was the line from Lisa Rina when it was a tag going Hi, I'm Carama, and yes I am a bitch. My god, it was so that so applies to this. Oh speaking of old housewives. Where it also got confusing was Kyle now bringing up Teddy Mellencamp in regards to another reason why she's pissed off at Deret. And you're Teddy's friend, you've always been friends. You wouldn't say anything because it's not the popular thing.
Speaker 5: To say, and you're too worried about what people are going to think.
Speaker 2: Kyle, is that not you? We didn't hear about this one last week. We heard about Bravocon showing the text message. We didn't hear about this Teddy Mellencamp thing and those comments being said at Bravo. Connan upset her now because Derete hasn't come into fend for Teddy, And now that's another reason why she's apparently upset. I just think last week you said she was reaching. This week is literally grasping a straws.
Speaker 1: I absolutely don't agree with you on this at all. I actually think that it is so fair. Teddy Mellencamp has literally faced a landslide of hatred for no real reason. I felt she brought some amazing content to this series. I think she was very real, and Teddy Mellencamp is an unexplainable magic eye puzzle. You know those magic eye puzzles that some people can look at and some people can't.
Speaker 2: Then yes, but it's not that I don't I don't not like Teddy, but I don't think in the context of this that that is why Kyle is pissed at diret I don't think. I don't think it is because, for example, Erica is also friends with Teddy. Erica was sitting on the couch when those comments got said, and dare I say Erica is probably closer to Teddy because she occasionally fills in on the podcast with her, and she didn't say anything either. But Kyle is not mad at both of them for not sticking up for Teddy. She's only saying she's annoyed at to read. And so it's not that I don't think that Teddy deserved defending. I think she was a great addition to the show. I never really understood the backlash either, so I get your points there, but I don't understand why it's coming into this list of reasons why Kyle is pissed at Duret. I think that is where she's just trying to find something else. She's throwing shit at a wall. She's hoping that something else sticks. But none of these reasons really the full reason. There's something else she's not saying.
Speaker 1: Would it be fair to say that what you're assuming is going to happen for season fourteen is that we're going to get a lot of really watered down excuses that are going to lead us to something substantial. Are we going to get to a substantial spot with Kyle with her feelings towards Daria. I don't know, because the one thing I will say is that I think that Kyle's behavior on this show, because she has been there for solong, has had people reacting to her with no relation to how she's actually behaving. It's in their minds the Kyle behaves this way. And I think Kyle's just been being herself and thinking this is how you do real housewives, you know, throw a few jibs here and throw a few jibs back, and then they made something and then there's a fight and that's how this game plays. Where Deret's like, no, that's not how it plays. And now I'm going to bring you now. I'm going to make you accountable for your bad behavior, and I'm going to go back six years and I'm going to get out my dorser of reasons as to why you have upset me. The audience are going to love it because we're going to get to watch blow by blows replays if everything that's happened bitpet a blow blow, whatever the frickin' hell it's called that you know has been savaged and you're like, oh, actually yeah. And this kind of makes me want to ask you this last question, which is is Kyle checking out? Because I think she's a little complacent. I think that she has spoken with the producers and she has said, guys, I'm pretty sure this is my last. Do what you will with how you want to play it because I'm tired.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I reckon you could be onto something. I mean, she does say she teases us every year. She's like, I don't know if I can come back. This was a really hard one for me. I feel like they would have said it is crucial for you to come back for this one because we needed some kind of closure to this Kyle and Mauricio thing. We needed to see where it was going to land. And obviously, then at the reunion when Dreach showed this text message, and we knew there was this underlying tension that was going to build. But at the time of filming that reunion, obviously Kyle wasn't aware of the fact that she'd showed that text message, so they knew they were going to come into this season with something already there a massive tension point. But if she is with Morgan, and Morgan now is saying I don't want my name mentioned, I don't want to be part of this show. You know, we've seen Kyle say I just want to live in Aspen. Maybe this is the slow exit to moving on to a simpler life. It very well could be. I think you could be onto the money.
Speaker 1: I would be sad to see her go. I really would.
Speaker 2: Oh I would too. I tend to agree with you. It's a tough one. I know. Erica Jane said, every franchise will just continue on. I mean, we've seen that happen, but not to the same level of success. And sometimes that's when the whole series ends up going on pause. Then they have to try and do a reboot. And we've seen that with RONI and it is not going well. That show is hanging on by you know, a string. So we've seen OC come back, that's been the opposite. That's been quite good.
Speaker 1: But if common that really took some time. You know, there was a good five years for OC where they were like really reaching. It really could have been canceled. It was that fucking shit.
Speaker 2: And so I don't even want to think about Beverly Hills finishing, Like, I just don't want to think about it. I'd be very out invested.
Speaker 1: We've been there for fourteen years. It's a long time to watch a television show and to invest in what I think real people. So I still even Erica Jane, doesn't matter who comes on this show, all still seem like b side characters to an a personality, which is Kyle. I mean, even if they bought vander Pump back, with Kyle's exit, I don't even think vander Pump would be able to carry this show by herself.
Speaker 2: No, I think vander Pump was. She's just not relatable enough to be able to play it in that space where she can have all those friendships with all those different people, which Kyle authentically has and that is where she has always sat in that pocket so perfectly, because she really has had a lot of strong relationships along the way, and the ones that we've seen, you know, go through the ebbs and flows, and I mean Erica, Jane Drete, I mean, they've all been there a long time now, and I feel like we've seen a lot of rotation through these new housewives the last few years. They're lucky that Garcel and Sutton, I guess the fans like them straight away, but we saw Crystal three years no traction, Anna Marie out after a season, and Diana Jenkins out after a season. They're really trying to find people that will stick that they can continue to build this cast with. I don't think Jennifer Tilly's going to be it. Kathy's never going to sign on full time, so I think they'll be in a real pickle if Kyle leaves.
Speaker 1: Out of five? Will we be allowed to ask you for your Alana macleans? How many Alana macleans are you giving this episode? Considering we did still get the start of part one of that fight between Kyle and de Reed, which was looking like it was going to get pretty juicy. Well, that part.
Speaker 2: Of that foint was what clawed this episode back for me. I think, coming off two really strong episodes, particularly last week. I rated last week of four and a half this one. I would have given it a two and a half. I feel like that was only a fifty percent, but the fight at the end got it two or three. So just over the line for me, what about you.
Speaker 1: I'm going to go with two Benjamin Norris's I feel bad when I say my own name because I hate people love it themselves in third person, I would say I'm going to stay with two because I'm going to keep the two points on the Derete and Kyle interaction at the end, which is really where I was engaged. The rest of the episode to me was a little bit too B side tape and you know what I mean, Like back in one of this is before your Era, But the Bodyguard soundtrack five songs on the cassette were all Whitney Houston, and then the next five songs that were on the other side of the cassette were all like Michelle Visage's Lovely Day and you Will Love I Do Love that the way.
Speaker 2: A good with us so good? I get what you mean and you sometimes get a little sneaky pee of the next week's episode. So, without giving too much away, are we in for a bit more of a ride next week?
Speaker 1: Obsessed? Oh my god, we're in for a huge ride. Put a stack hat on, put your knee pads on, and I tell you what. It is so good. It is so joozy. Probably one of the best scenes that we've seen this season so far.
Speaker 2: Well, I love that. What a no to end on. I'm pumped for next week, but I loved breaking down this week with you and love chatting to as always amazing.
Speaker 1: Go and buy that hat. I just want to see you in the hat.
Speaker 2: Okay, next week's episode, lorna Murray hat, come at me, add to.
Speaker 1: Cart I'll talk to you soon.
Speaker 2: Bye by bye bye bye bye