Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud yor the Order Kerni Whaltbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it. She's on the Money.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money.
Speaker 4: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money, the pod that lets you be pervy about other people's money habits.
Speaker 2: For educational purposes of course.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to another one of our money days where we get the absolute pleasure of sitting down and chatting with one of our incredible She's on the Money community members, all about their journey. Let's jump straight into it, because this week I got a message and it sounded exactly like this high She's on the Money. Growing up with a single mum in a low socioeconomic area, money was always toxic arguments, borrowing and never having enough shaped my determination to break the cycle. After years of hard work, study and climbing the career ladder and breaking some bad credit card habits, my husband and I hit a combined income of over two hundred thousand dollars. It seemed like we had everything we'd ever wanted. But when our kids arrived, everything changed. We made the bold decision to step back, trade career ambition for family time and prioritize what truly matters. We might not have as much money, but we can still buy baby Chinos and that's more than enough for us.
Speaker 2: Money, Doris, I just.
Speaker 4: Feel it in my bones. This is going to be such a sweet money diary.
Speaker 2: Hello, thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, I am so excited about this. Before we dive in money, Doris, if I asked you to give your money habits a grade from A three to F, what grade would you give them?
Speaker 2: I would say, I am a solid b oh, a solid bee.
Speaker 4: We love to see it. But more than that, I love to ask people more about their money story. So, money Dory, can you give us a little bit more insight into your money story?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Absolutely, So I feel like you touched on a lot of it already. But I grew up with a single mom and an older sister in a very low socioeconomic area, so we never went without, but everything was hard to come by, I suppose to put it easily. So Mum was always, you know, working really hard to try to find where we were going to get money for groceries and new school books and shoes, and how we were going to pay for school excursions and everything like that. So money was always an argument. So whether Mum was having disagreements with family members about like wanting to borrow money off them, or whether we were kind of having arguments about how much a loaf of bread would cost because we'd get sent into the shops with three dollars but bread was on special last week, so whereas the twenty cents change, because every cent madded, it was really really tricky. So I saw a lot of the stress that my mum was under when it came to anything money related, and that was really hard to see. So my sister, when she turned fourteen to nine months, she got her first job and she started helping support the family as well. So I figured that I would do my part. So if I got money once a week for tuch shop or something like that, I actually just wouldn't eat at school that day, and I'd save the money and i'd have like a little squirrel funds just in case, like we ran out of milk or toilet paper or something, so I could be like I'm helping.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, my heart. That is literally equally the sweetest and most heartbreaking thing ever, Like, oh, like your little heart is so pure.
Speaker 2: I know. And that's the thing is that, like when you're a kid, you just want to see the best in every situation and kind of do everything to help. Like Mom found out and she was mortified that I like had been going without food and she's.
Speaker 4: Like, where did you get this money from?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Is that what happened?
Speaker 4: Like she found it and was like where is this money? Like how did you get this?
Speaker 2: Yeah? And I was like I've been saving it, Like what are you talking about? And You're like, you don't have a job, how are you saving it from? Where? From where? Yeah? So that was kind of you know, how it was to grow up around money. It was always really hard to come by, and when you did have it, it went really quickly, and if you didn't have it, it was really stressful and cause a lot of arguments.
Speaker 4: Wow, And how did that translate as an adult now? Because I feel like that would make you avoidant as you grow up of talking about money and feeling like, I don't know, I immediately assume that if your husband was like, oh, money, Doris, can we talk about money, You'd be like, ah, like no, thank you, even if it was a good thing. So when did you get your first job? When did you start earning your own money? How did that feel all of those things?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Absolutely, So that's exactly how it kind of translated. So straight out of high school. So I graduated at seventeen, I was straight into my first full time job, and I was adamant that I never wanted to be that like poor kid and I hate using that word, but I was always just like I didn't want people.
Speaker 4: But that's a feeling, and I feel like that's something a lot of people are probably able to resonate with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I feel like I didn't want anyone to ever think that I didn't have enough money or that like I was struggling, Like it was just so uncomfortable for me to ever talk about. So I got my first full time job straight out of high school the day that I turned eighteen. So the office I worked in was right above one of the big four banks. So on my eighteenth birthday, I left work and on my lunch break, I went downstairs and I got a personal loan to a perfect buyer car yup, and I signed up for a credit card.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, why not go with both? Honestly, they probably allowed it.
Speaker 2: Do you know what, go big or go home? I say, one hundred percent? And then I toddled myself down to like a phone company, and I signed myself up for one of the new smartphones on a plan. So I was just gonna have like, oh, you were live in large. I had the image like nobody would ever look at me and think that I was earning like sixteen dollars an hour, Like it was atrocious. I can't believe still that they even gave me alone.
Speaker 4: That's actually how I feel about my personal loan that I got, Like how did you give somebody like I was in my early twenties, but how did you give me a forty thousand dollar loone? It was obviously a linked credit card? Like how like whose idea was.
Speaker 2: That it's honestly terrible. And I look back on it and it's like, if I just could tell little me one thing, it would be like, do not borrow money, Like do not go get alone, because you just put so much faith in the people that are giving you the loan, that they've crunched the numbers and their comfy that you can pay it back, and you just like to see the best in everyone. And I think because I was borrowing money from someone and for the first time in my life, it wasn't an argument, like they were so happy to give me money, and I was like, oh, it.
Speaker 4: Must be good, right, And it feels official right, Like it feels legit because it's at the bank. It's not like your aunt or your mum or somebody close to you. I feel like there's that level of legitimacy that makes you feel safe even though you shouldn't.
Speaker 2: Absolutely absolutely yeah. So by the time I was twenty, I was about thirty thousand dollars in debt. So I had a twenty thousand dollars car debt and about jashi of ten thousand dollars on a personal credit card. So from their a few little job changes. I feel like where I went wrong was that at no point was I like, oh, I can't afford the way that I'm living, I should really dial it back. I was like, I can't afford the way that I'm living. I should get a new job and earn more money. So the more money I earned, the more I spent, the more I spent, the more debt. It was terrible, a vicious cycle. So I ended up moving into state, to a big capital city for a job that was earning a lot more than I was on. But with that came again the lifestyle creep and now trying to keep up with a whole new crowd of people that were earning more money, and so it was pretty bad. Actually. So from there I met my now husband.
Speaker 4: Okay, you how did you meet?
Speaker 2: So we did things a little bit backwards. Actually he was one of my housemates, so we were living together.
Speaker 4: That could have been so bad, that could have worked out not well.
Speaker 2: No, and I kind of figured that. I mean, worst case scenario, you just move out and smoke bomb. Right, Oh yeah, sure, yep, yep perfect.
Speaker 4: I feel like you're not the first money Darris who has ended up marrying their housemate, though yes.
Speaker 2: I mean I guess you get to try before you buy and money win.
Speaker 4: Yeah, great, and you genuinely saw if he was actually unloading the dishwasher and stuff, like what is this guy like at home?
Speaker 2: Absolutely?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it does get rid of the magic of like those first few months getting to know each.
Speaker 2: Other one hundred percent. And it was funny because I feel like, to kind of sum up our relationship as well, he's like so straight to the point, honestly one of the nicest people I've ever met. But because we were already living together, I was like, is this a relationship of convenience? Like do you actually like me?
Speaker 4: I mean, I'm glad you were thinking that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So we like, I had a bit of a meltdown one day and I was like, I feel like you're only with me because it's easy, and he just looked at me, like dead in the eye, and he was like, oh, babe, like there is nothing easy about being with you. I mean, tell me how it really is. I mean I think that I feel more secure now, but also.
Speaker 4: Like Brooch, I'm also very insecure about a number of other things now.
Speaker 2: Thank you for shifting that.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I met him and he he was quite the opposite to me, where came from very humble beginnings as well. But he was really secure in himself and had really good money habits, a really good relationship with money. So he worked hard, he saved hard, but he was also happy to spend on things that were important to him. So he taught me quite a lot about how to get out of that like a vicious just consumer debt cycle. Oh I love this. Yeah, it was really really sweet. So we got engaged. We decided that when we got married we were going to share our finances anyway. And he sent me down one day and he was like, look, you're spending so much money on interest for your credit card. I've got the money that we're going to be joining money anyway. Why don't we just pay off your credit card in full and then you can pay me back without the interest. Oh that's so sweet. And I was like, absolutely not. I don't need no man.
Speaker 4: Right, Okay, So that's exactly how I would have responded to But like, in theory, that is very kind of him.
Speaker 2: But then I also grasped that maybe like this was maybe it's a joint decision. Now, Yeah, we were going to be in it. We were going to be sharing the burden anyway, so let's just get it done. So I paid off my credit card and then I paid him back every single center of it in nine months.
Speaker 4: Oh queen, do you feel like I put more pressure on you to paid off too now that it was like with your partner instead of a bank.
Speaker 2: Yes, but I feel like it was good pressure because it was like going to him. But then I also knew that I wasn't just going to keep racking up more debt knowing that I owed someone, Like I hate owing anybody money for any reason unless it's.
Speaker 4: No I am now the same, Like I do not like owing people money, and it's something I won't say I struggle with, but like even if other people are like, oh, buy your coffee v I'm like, oh, no, that's fine. I'd actually prefer to BUYE to and by yours, so that I literally owe nobody anything. Like I don't know what that weird complex is, but I just know where it comes from, and it comes from being in that situation before and just being like, I just don't want anybody to laud anything over my head, and I'm grateful that I'm in the financial position that I can do that, but like I don't want to owe you. Sorry, Like if we go out for lunch, I'm more likely to try and pay the whole bill instead of you paying it, because I would hate to think that I either owe you money for lunch or you're like, oh no, you'll get it next time. No, no, no, I just just let me pay thanks by weird complex.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I'm exactly the same, Like I know, down to the cent. If I owe someone money and I can't sleep, like it could be two dollars, it could be two hundred dollars, and I will not sleep until I have paid off my debts.
Speaker 4: No, I can resonate like that. Just it's so frustrating, isn't it. And you're like that person doesn't even care.
Speaker 2: I know, right, and like you could owe me all the money in the world. I'm like, honestly, it's fine, Like I know we'll get there one day. You do you, but you are me, So tell me what did that look like?
Speaker 4: You got married, you had some babies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we got married, We had babies. I studied full time at UNI, while I was working full time, while I was planning a wedding. It was full on. I honestly don't know where I got the energy from. Like your twenties were just something different. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I actually people always like how did you do it? And I'm like, delusion, babe, delusion, Like I think I was high on it. I couldn't do it. Now, how did I do what I did? I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know, honestly. I feel like if I've gone for a walk in the morning, I just don't even have energy to like unload the dishosher that day. Too many tasks, yeap, relatable queen. Yeah, so I worked really hard. I got like my dream career job, we got married, we bought our first home.
Speaker 4: She's ticking all of the boxes when it comes to little achievements that people often set for themselves.
Speaker 2: It was lovely, and it was all by the age of twenty five. Okay, I know. Nope, I mean it's downhill from there.
Speaker 4: I picked early, Okay, a right, so make us feel better about you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, she picked early. But yeah, so it was good. And then we hit that sneaky little pandemic that happened.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, the panini.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the panini. Yeah, and then everything kind of changed from there. What changed? How did it change. So we had my son. He was one of the COVID Bobies, so born during the lockdowns, and I had this new kind of sense of really needing to be near my family. And I could have sworn I would have never heard myself say those words, right, Like, I moved into State for a reason and I needed my space. And then I had my son and I was.
Speaker 4: Like, now you're like, let's just change this script.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So we had bought our house in February twenty twenty and by October twenty twenty one we had sold and were moving into State to be closer to my family. Oh my god. Yeah, it happened quickly.
Speaker 4: Was that COVID driven, baby driven the mix of all of it, Like, where did that come from? Especially as someone who was like I left the state for a reason.
Speaker 2: I know that's so sassy, isn't it. No? No, no, But it's.
Speaker 4: Like I have so many friends who literally would have said the same thing. But it's such a vibe, like I seen so many people could resonate with that and then be like, what do you mean you moved back?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I was like, I moved eleven hundred kilometers away for a reason. I will never move back to my hometown until I have a baby, and I actually just really need my mom. That's so fair, Like, I'm sorry, mom, hell love you. I didn't mean it, take me back. Yeah. So it was partly COVID driven, but mainly baby driven. Yeah. So, just really wanted to be closer to home. But because of the lockdowns, it meant that we had to buy our next home site unseen. Oh wow, which was.
Speaker 4: That would give me anxiety. That's like the biggest purchase you've ever made in your life when you can't even look at it before you give them the money.
Speaker 2: Like, oh yeah, it was really bad. So we saw our new home about two weeks after settlement. Wow, which was a gamble to say the least. How did that go? We are so grateful to have a home. Look, it is a good house.
Speaker 4: I'm waiting for the butt you can just say, but it's anonymous, but.
Speaker 2: No one knows who am I kidding? No, Look, it is a really good house. It's in a great area. We probably paid more of a premium because of the area that it is in. But it needs quite a bit of work. So when we first moved in, everything seemed fine and then it started raining, and then there was like an indoor water feature, and then it was Yeah, it was pretty bad. We've had to put quite a lot of money into it, which has set us back in a few other ways. It was a massive gamble, and I still kind of feel sick about how much we paid for it start unseen. But I guess where there's desperation, you kind of like you have to pay what you have to pay. Right, that was kind of just the climate that we were in, And I can't really hold us you.
Speaker 4: Did what was right at the time. Yeah, and now you might have done it differently, but you can't change the times.
Speaker 2: So yes, and I'm kind of hoping that maybe we've learned our lesson and next time I will be a bit smarter about large purchases.
Speaker 4: So in your money Dairy entry, you said, my husband and I hit a combined income of over two hundred thousand dollars and we had everything we ever wanted. What do you do now? Like, what do you do for work?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 4: What do you earn?
Speaker 2: Because I know that the tables have turned. Yes, so I took a big step back from the career that I'd worked really hard to get and now I'm working casually two and a half days a week as a chiropract assistant. Oh cool. Yeah, so it's still a little bit hands on, but it's administrative. It's like three minutes from where I live, so so close to home, Like I can ride my bike there if I wanted to. Yeah, it's really good. And I earn there because it's casual. That fluctuates a bit, but I think I'm on track at the moment to earn about forty nine thousand plus super.
Speaker 4: Oh for two days a week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do two and a half days and then like a Saturday every now and then. Oh, how nice. Okay that is. I thought you were going to say less than that.
Speaker 4: I don't know why. I think because when you said two and a half days, I was like, okay, cool, Like that is. I'm very happy with that forty nine thousand plus super Yeah.
Speaker 2: So our boss is awesome. You know, he sees a lot of value in what we do, and he certainly pays us accordingly. Yeah, Adore, what an icon?
Speaker 4: What does your husband do and how much does he earn?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So he is a software engineer. He has permanently actually gone part time as well because he wanted to step back and have a bit more time with the kids that we're young. So previously he was on about one hundred and sixty plus super and now he's on about one hundred and thirty plus super Hey for part time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, okay, pop Off, tell me more about this. How many days a week is he doing?
Speaker 2: So he's doing four days a week and he does anywhere between kind of like seven to eight hours a day, gets to work from home, all goes into the city if he feels like it. Yeah, it's a really good balance.
Speaker 4: I'd love this for you guys, And I mean that makes sense because you said when our kids arrived, everything changed and now we have enough money for baby chinos and that's enough for us. I low key love that you own your home. Obviously your more lifestyle focused, I'm assuming. Can you tell me a bit more about what your big money goals are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we were actually having a chat about this recently. So I feel like, on one hand, we've got the really practical ones of like finish the renovations so that our house doesn't link every time it rains, try to pay down the mortgage water feature.
Speaker 4: We could reframe that make it really sexy.
Speaker 2: When we actually moved in, it had an indoor water feature down to a pond as well. It was atrocious. I love that for you guys.
Speaker 4: I too had an indoor water feature, but it was accidental when we moved in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like it was. It was beautiful. Yeah, it's like there was. When I say indoor water feature to pond, I mean fish and all. Like it was terrible. But at the moment, like, we've been kind of living this little like part time life for a few months, and I think long term money goal is to be in a position where we actually don't have to go back to work full time. Oh I love that. That sounds so fun. Yeah, it just feels like a bit of a trap, doesn't it.
Speaker 4: Look The more I think about it, the more I'm like, absolutely it is. But it turns out we have to have money to trade for goods and services, and like that's okay, rude, And I don't know, I feel like we're stuck in the wheel, so we may as well learn as much about money so that we can prioritize our lifestyles as well.
Speaker 2: I don't know, it's a good idea to me. Maybe I should do a podcast or something. Have you heard of it? I think there's one called something like She's in the finance. You should look it up. Yeah, yeah, that would be perfect.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll look it up later.
Speaker 2: You could use that name if you wanted. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Thanks, Let's go to a break and then on the flip side, I'm going to talk to you about investments. We're going to talk about debt, best and worst money habits, and maybe we'll come up with a better name.
Speaker 2: For a podcast in the future.
Speaker 4: All right, guys, we are back and our money at host today grew up with a single mom in a low socioeconomic area and has now flipped the script hit a combined income of more than two hundred thousand dollars, and has now chosen to take a step back so that she can spend more time with her family and get some baby chinos.
Speaker 2: Can we just start off by talking.
Speaker 4: So my kid is at the moment, what just over eleven months old, and that to me is terrifying because the first year has gone way quicker than I ever consented to. But I'm starting to look at things. He hasn't had a baby gino yet, but I'm starting to see them on the menu more often it's something I glossed over before. What do you mean a baby Chino is three dollars.
Speaker 2: It's actually ridiculous, And like little insider tip, they don't drink it. They just want the little marshmallow that goes on top. So just ask for a sneaky marshmallow with your coffee next one.
Speaker 4: Honestly, that's lokay smart, apart from the fact I did that Tiny Heart's course and they said you're not allowed to give your babies marshmallows, And now I'm scared of marshmallows and popcorn.
Speaker 2: Look, you probably should be. I actually used to work as a paramedic, so I feel like terrible for even suggesting that you just give you eleven month old a marshmallow.
Speaker 4: No, but like I feel like we've we've got to use our initiative in our nouse. I just have an aversion to marshmallows at this point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And you know what, I'm actually more scared of my kids if I tell them they can't have a marshmallow. At the moment, I.
Speaker 4: Think, okay, that's a very valid fear. That's very valid, And you're like, you know what cost benefit analysis.
Speaker 2: We're going to do a risk analysis on this.
Speaker 4: I think that's fair, which means like, if you're doing risk analysis, talk to me about in Is that something that you've thought about? Is it something you're doing? What's the plan there?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So I have a Shares's account.
Speaker 4: Oh a coen after my own heart.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can use this like really cool code SotM and you get ten dollars in your wallet. Oh my god, do you want to work for Sheese on the money?
Speaker 4: Like not only are you suggesting better names, but yeah, like you do get ten dollars for free to start your journey?
Speaker 2: Is that how you did that? Is how I did it? Because it was just free money, wasn't it?
Speaker 4: Like it's actually ludicrous, Like they give you ten dollars, they don't give me ten dollars, Like I don't get any kickback on that, because I was like that just feels a little bit convoluted. Instead of five dollars for me five dollars, you just give them the whole ten dollars. But like, if you hypothetically put one hundred dollars into your share trading platform, that's an instant ten percent return.
Speaker 2: Absolutely that's better than the ASX is producing at the moment.
Speaker 4: Right now, absolutely, so like I love that for you, So talk to me about how you're picking on Chares's and what's going on.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I have a few ETFs in there and then a few just random companies that I figured that I put some money into, mainly because I just wanted to see how it all worked when I first started. So, but I'm very much an ETF girly. So I've got about seventeen hundred in chasas now.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, so you are building it up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So we just make little contributions every month. So when we were earning a little bit more, we were putting more into our investments, and now that we've dropped back, we've kind of just reduced that percentage as well.
Speaker 4: Cool, very cool.
Speaker 2: So we've got that. We've also got some ETFs under the concept it'll pock it up, So my husband deals with those ones and then I just do the chasis and then we both have Super.
Speaker 4: Very cool, And what's the plan for Super? Is that something that you're like, oh, I reckon, it's on track? Do we talk about that at home a lot? Like how does that work? Because you had a pretty good salary before you took a step back. So I'm assuming you've cared about super before.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, So I am a big super girlie in that, Like I've got the app on my phone and I kind of track it and I see where the investments are going, and we have good conversations about it. We've plugged kind of the numbers into the calculator before as well, just to see where we're on track for retirement if we needed to make any sort of additional contributions. But I think at the moment we're pretty happy with where we're sitting with our super accounts. Yeah, oh, how good.
Speaker 4: I love when people are like, yeah, we're active, I have the app. Do you know how many people don't know that most super funds have an app? Like you can literally just put it on your phone, the same as like your phone banking and just like check.
Speaker 2: But don't they just want to know what's in there? Like I can't not know.
Speaker 4: Some people are evasive of it, and I totally get that, but I just like looking that it's doing what it's meant to do. It makes me feel good when I've maybe splurged you a little bit where I shouldn't have.
Speaker 2: I'm like oh, Super doing all right. Yeah, I bought Sight unseen. I's went too much on my house. But my Super is okay.
Speaker 4: She's healthy, she's happy, she's thriving. Let's not take it any deeper. So talk to me about debt. You have a mortgage, do you have any other debt? Tell me.
Speaker 2: So, we've got a mortgage. We owe six hundred and ninety thousand on our house, and we pay that at six point zero nine percent, so it's pretty big monthly bill that comes out. And the only other debt that we've got, I've got a student debt of about nineteen thousand dollars, which I'm really actively trying not to add too. But I think in my head, heckstad is just free money, like I'm such a serial student.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's not, but I totally get that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's absolutely not. And every time I log into the account to see what it was kind of index at or how little I'm paying off it, I'm reminded of that. Yes, but really trying not to add to that anymore and just pay that down. But otherwise we've got no other loans or debts or anything, which is nice.
Speaker 4: I love that six point oh nine as a interest rate is relatively normal at the moment, which is kind of crippling, Like I don't love to feel that, but six point oh nine is I would say a pretty good comparison rate. Do you have a broker that you're working with, Like why did you know that? Just off the top of your head? Did you check your app before? Do you always review it? Like tell me about that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I am always pretty across what our interest rates are, just to make sure that they're competitive and that there's nothing kind of better out there. We do have a broker that we've used in the past who was lovely fantastic, but we came off so when we moved up, we were on a fixed rate at one point nine percent, so then we used our broker I.
Speaker 4: Know, Oh my gosh, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: So it really hurt when we came off.
Speaker 4: Oh you're speaking to the converted like I'm the same. I'm like, ooh yeah.
Speaker 2: And now we're just like desperately kind of waiting to see what the RBA is going to do with the cash raid and hope that it starts to come down soon. But yeah, I'm pretty on top of what our interest rate is because like, why give the bank any more of my money than I honestly did in my twenties.
Speaker 4: Very valid point. I feel like you've paid your way.
Speaker 2: I've paid my share of interest rates.
Speaker 4: Thank you one hundred percent. I feel like you've changed your entire narrative around money. What do you think is your best money habit?
Speaker 2: So this might be a little left field, but I think that because of everything I've been through, I have a really solid understanding of my values. So whenever it comes to making like financial decisions or purchases, like I kind of just come back to whether or not it feels good and it's in line without values and our goals. And I feel like that's been a really good money habit because it stops the guilt associated with spending. But at the same time, it stops us from trying to keep up with the joneses. Like I don't fall trapped to like trends or fads or anything like that because it just doesn't feel right. So I feel like that's been a really good way to kind of just keep spending in track.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I love that. And I feel like saying my best money habit is literally that I can stay in line with my values sligh.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 4: I think that is literally one of the best responses to be like no, no, no, Like, all of the dollars I have coming in are working for me in the way that I want them to, Like, how good, flip it?
Speaker 2: What's your worst? So I have what I like to call a procrastination tax. So my motto seems to be like, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, and if it is broke, still don't fix it until it's urgent. Oh yeah, I do that.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, until your car's flashing at you and it says you need it ail change and then you're like, oh okay, well I'll think about it as an option.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, So then you pay procrastination tax because you need things done urgently a sap.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Oh my god, I am. Do you know what I didn't realize, But I'm actually the queen of procrastination?
Speaker 2: Oh yes, well welcome. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Like at Christmas time, Ah, I actually now have to pay for express post because I didn't organize this earlier. I actually have to go down to the shops and buy this instead of getting the best possible price online because I don't have time to wait.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and that happened with like a pipe that we had that had a really slow trip, and I knew that it needed to be done, but procrastination tax rules then meant I had to leave it until the pipe burst during that Christmas New Year period.
Speaker 4: Oh good, It's always the time where it's going to be the most expensive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, So please may I pay a premium to get a plumber to fix my first water part because that I knew about for a really long time, for too long?
Speaker 4: Oh well, do you know what I'm impressed with you? It's actually about having insight into your own life, and I feel like you have a lot of that.
Speaker 2: Tell me.
Speaker 4: At the start of this episode, you were like, I reckon they I'm a solid bee? What makes you a solid bee? And one you an A?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 4: What would an A look like?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So I think that I'm a solid B because I'm pretty across where our money is coming in where it's going out. I'm pretty comfortable with how we spend things and how we save. I don't know that I would ever want to get up to an A if I'm honest. I feel like, once i think that I've learned everything that I'm going to stop trying so hard and you kind of stop evolving. So I think that if in my head I was an A or an A pass, I'd just not try. Yeah, and then I just wouldn't try, And I think that that can be really dangerous.
Speaker 4: I think that's a really positive way to stay a B. I don't even want you to become an A now, like just live in by.
Speaker 2: I love it. I love it.
Speaker 4: I loved this. I feel like this is such a good chat. Last question I have is you said, look, we've definitely traded our career ambitions for you know, prioritizing what truly matters to you. Do you have any regrets with that? Because I feel like lots of people listen to these and they're like, yeah, but like the extra cash is so helpful, and what I do, like, what are your regrets about making this decision?
Speaker 2: I'm not sure that I have many regrets. No regrets, no regrets. I think that a lot of the ways that we were spending our money was on things because of how it would make us look to other people. So we would say, go on these really expensive, luxurious family holidays, but no one would see that. On the other side, I was having panic attacks going to work every day. No, that's not worth it. No, and it wasn't. And I think that once I had that moment where it was like this is not adding up, Like this is not okay. We still have family holidays, but it's camping or it's like a staycation at home. Like, I feel a lot better, My mental health is a lot better for that. There is that side of me that still does kind of worry about what if one day we run out of money and I don't have my lunchbox money, say up squirreled somewhere to feed the family.
Speaker 4: That's a deep down feeling, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I think that there is still that, but I kind of combat that with knowing that money is just a tool and you can always earn more money if you need to. That you can never get this time back. I love that so much.
Speaker 4: I wish we had more time money, drist It has been a pleasure getting to chat with you today, getting to learn about you and your little family and that maybe we do but don't. Like the marshmallow on top of a baby Chino, like we just can't get to the bottom of that one. And that's totally okay. But I have adored this chat, and I just know that the community are going to have so many or have had so many moments in this episode where.
Speaker 2: They're like same, that's me, same, because like.
Speaker 4: It's just so relatable. So I really appreciate it and know that community is going to love this episode as.
Speaker 2: Much as I have. Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 4: Of course, the advice shared on Cheese on the Money is generally nature and does not consider you're in vidual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product.
Speaker 5: Read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial.
Speaker 4: Advice tailored towards your needs.
Speaker 5: Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of Money. Sheper Pty Ltd a BN three two one six four nine two seven seven zero eight AFSL four five one two eight nine