Speaker 1: Before we start today's show, just a bit of a heads up. We have something called a speak pipe, which is basically a modern day answer machine message where you can leave a message for us. You can ask a question, you can make a suggestion. This give us feedback, and we'll actually be able to play it at the end of the show. It's been great to interact and hear some of your voices. You can always email us at yasny Podcasts at gmail dot com, but we'd love to hear your voices. So get onto our speak pipe on the page where you found our podcast, and we can't wait to hear from you. Okay, I'm with today's show. Get a Peter Hally here. Welcome to You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet the Movie podcast, where I chat to a movie lover about a classic or beloved movie they haven't quite got around to watching until now. And today's guest actor writer Jackson Toza.
Speaker 2: Do you really think you have a chance against us? Mister cowboy, open the pod bay doors.
Speaker 3: Well, I'll have what she's having a right, You Ain't see Nothing here?
Speaker 1: Yes, Jackson Tosa returns and You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet. After his appearance in season four to cover of Course, one of the great sequels of all time. Jackson is a fantastic young actor who is one of the most in demand comedic actors around. At the moment, he just keeps racking up the credits, from Mister in Between, to the Newsreader, to Five Bedrooms and of course How to Stay Married Series and one, and his last short film, Hatchback with Our Great Steve Curry, has racked up the awards as well. Jackson is absolutely engaged and infused and locked into the craft of acting. He's gonna have a very long, long career ahead of him. I look forward to watching what he does, but at the moment, he's here with me. His three favorite films in the episode in season four were Kill Bill, Austin Powers, and The Impossible. I can't wait to find out what his next three favorite films are.
Speaker 4: Get a My Name is Steel, Jackson Tozer and my next three favorite films are Walk Hard, The Dewey Cock Story.
Speaker 5: That Poets Machetes, the.
Speaker 4: Prestige, Alvin and the Chipmunks, to the Squad and the Castle. And up until two hours after we finished our last podcast, I hadn't seen Tea to Judgment.
Speaker 1: Day ninety ninety one's Terminator to Judgment Day is set in ninety ninety five, eleven years after nine to eighty four's The Terminator, and as it's comfortably alongside The Godfather, Parts two and Ampios, strikes back as sequels that outdo their predecessors. Arnold Schwarzenegger's Terminator has been reprogrammed and sent from the future to this time protect future resistance leader John Connor played by Edward Furlong in his film debut, who's living with his foster parents while his mother, Sarah Connor, played by an absolutely ripped Linda Hamilton, is in a cell in a mental hospital under twenty four to seven supervision. Also coming from the same future, but with aim, but with the aim of a fascinating John Connor, is the upgraded Terminator model, the T one thousand, a shape shifting vessel made from liquid metal, played by Robert Patrick, one of the most formidable villains in movie history. Add to this some more comedic touches Arnie being more comfortable in his own skin and the white hot at the time guns n' roses. Adding to the soundtrack Terminator Too, Judgment Day is super fun and super charged YEP. James Cameron does it again, Jackson Toza, were you disappointed at the complete absence of Terminator Wang in this film?
Speaker 4: Could not have been more disappointed for the lack of Arnie Hog in this one. They gave him an actual hog to ride instead, so I think they made it more metaphorical. But I was searching for it, and I swear there was there was a little element of it. At that point.
Speaker 1: I thought I saw a little bit, but now a little bit.
Speaker 4: I was just having flashbacks to the first one.
Speaker 1: It's I think it should be a ride of passage. If you're going to be a terminator. I understand if you know Schwartzenegl's two big a star, but Robert Patrick's BA unknown if he's going to join in on the terminator fun, get the Hog out.
Speaker 4: Get the Hog out for sure, Get the Hog out. I mean he was on so much money on this film too. Arnie was He got fifteen million from what I read, which is crazy. So obviously he's like, I'm not going to get my dick out for this one. I've already like, if you've got to get your dick out to get fifteen mil, I mean I'll do it. Yeah, I'll do it, don't worry, I'll do it for ten minds out now. Yeah, yeah, mel cap.
Speaker 1: Its, let's talk about your three. Let's move hastily along. Yes, the Squeakle. That was always a great reference, because the Squeakle.
Speaker 4: We're just talking about sequels that top the original.
Speaker 1: Walk Hard, The Dewey Cox story John c Riley just bloody hilarious.
Speaker 4: We spoke about it on the first one and I went back and rewatched it. The director's cut, very hard to get your hands on, but it's so much better.
Speaker 1: I like we spoke about and your own recommendation, you went back and watching the game. I've got this listening to.
Speaker 4: The podcast, it's like, you know what, I've gotta give that another go. I there's certain films that stay with me that I watched also when I was a bit younger, but that just had a huge impact on me. Just the way that that film satirizes and just takes the absolute piss out of musical biopicks. I found hilarious. It's kind of like how goggle Box. The whole concept of goggle Box is just working off the back of everybody else's work. Like even they won the LOGI and he goes, we can't do what we do without what you guys do, essentially saying you're making all the content and we're just taking the piss out of it, essentially. And that's what walk Hard was to me was like jud apptow It seemed like he just watched every music biopic and just took the tropes and made fun of them, and.
Speaker 1: They were like there was a lot of I think Ray was around that time, Yeah, Jamie Fox, And of course you walked the Line with Waquin Phoenix.
Speaker 4: Well, it's a combination of the two because Dewey Cox, his character doesn't have a sense of smell. Instead of not having a sense and that's like a hurdle for him, there's this great line where his mom's like, I can't believe you got to make it even without a sense of smell. It's like it's okay, mar I learned how to play bar ear and it's just this like, yeah, he's just taking all just when you watched that first, Because I watched that first, then watched Walk the Line and Ray and I could see what he was taking the piss out of That.
Speaker 1: Would have meant you watching Ray and Walk the line is a completely different It was.
Speaker 4: So different, It was so different for me, but I thoroughly I enjoyed both too. I think Joaquin should have got Oscar for playing Johnny Cash, but yeah, it's a different film. And it's just I love that that Aptaal could have just seen this, flip the scene, write it, shot it himself. Yeah, it's a great, great, funny, silly. It's just a silly ride.
Speaker 1: That's what I like about it. Everything about it's silly, and we like silling this the prestige not as silly as walk Hard Christopher and one of the Christian Nolan films that sometimes gets forgotten gets lost. It gets lost. I know my son watched it recently, my seventy yards on eight, and he absolutely loved it. It's a good film. I really like it too.
Speaker 4: So that reminded me of an old joke you used to have. We say you have three kids twelve, eight and six. I know, celebrity parent, celebrity children's names, celebrity names. Yeah, I remember hearing that once at the Crown Casino. When you did it, I was like, that is you can't top that.
Speaker 1: I've been doing. It's funny because I've been doing that joke for you know, quite a while now, and and I still like it's one of those ones where it'd be easy for me to put away. But if I ever within the show, have to refer to my kids, and it's always good to give them context of how old they are, so that you know, usually it's got to do with their age and experiences and what they're going through. But it's like, well, why not let's put that joke in the game. It's up broken.
Speaker 4: I keep using it.
Speaker 1: In fact, it's slightly updated because the names have changed. Yeah, very very occasionally, I know in an audience is not whip smart because they wipe. It'll get very occasionally he'll get no reaction. Yeah, and it is like it There'll be like three or four laughs in the in the crowd, and I'm like, okay, the rest of you can fuck off.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm gonna target the rest of it.
Speaker 1: It's a classic joke.
Speaker 4: But prestage is phenomenal because it's got a David Bowie as well. Not many people realize it when they watch it. He plays Tesla Nicola Tesla in a scene in a couple of scenes, but he's great in it too.
Speaker 5: I mean.
Speaker 4: The way that the film is structured is set up in the opening monologue by Michael Kine, where he talks about how a magic trick is. No, I can't.
Speaker 1: Give us some more. He's fishing. I love it.
Speaker 4: The only Michael Kine I like to do is when when he's talking to Bruce Wayne's parents grave and he's like, I swore to your mother and father that I would protect.
Speaker 1: You and I haven't.
Speaker 4: It gets your emotions. I failed to, I felt, But.
Speaker 1: He sets it up.
Speaker 4: He talks about what a magic trick is and and the setup and the prestige, and the film itself copies that exact formula and you get the prestige at.
Speaker 1: The very end.
Speaker 2: It's this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's very very good writing to that film.
Speaker 1: It's really If you haven't seen it, absolutely check it out. It's got a great scut. Your hands is in it. Rebeca Hale obviously Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale. But it's I must say I did, and I'm not. I'm not. I never tried to get ahead of the movie and work out a twist, but I felt like I saw this one. Yeah. Yeah, it's the only my only little bit of criticism that this took away a little bit of the I didn't have the end nut Charmelainte moment. True, it was.
Speaker 4: I think it came out it was competing with The Illusionist or there was. They were very similar about to thrillers about a magician and yeah, yeah, yeah, I guess I can always pass that on to Nolan.
Speaker 1: Your feedback, please do if he'll do a director's cut. Yes, I'll be watching Oppenheimer with my eyes peeled. Yes film and your third film Castle the right down this sek.
Speaker 4: I actually I haven't seen that.
Speaker 1: I mean this would be the twenty five year anniversary this year of the Castle. It has come up many times Sampang famously now famously hadn't seen it? You've seen it now?
Speaker 4: Had he not seen it?
Speaker 1: Seen it by the fact he works he works for working Dog. Yeah, it's like disrespectful. It's great. It's come up many times as somebody's top three films. So when did you because you would have been about six or so when this movie comes out, when did you catch up with it?
Speaker 4: I don't think. I don't think I watched it when it first came out. It might have been a TV movie.
Speaker 1: Experience for me.
Speaker 4: But it's just like ages better, Like as you get older, the more you watch it, it just ages better. The comedy gets funnier. Tim, It's just like it's a Tim Tam, It's a veggimit it is it is, It's Australia to me, like it is so Australian in every facet. If people don't know what our countries like. And I was actually weirdly thinking about Bas Luhrman's film Australia last night, and I was like, is that a desperate attempt to show people what our countries like? And to me, just watch the Castle. That's that's what it is. That's how we talk. Well, that's how I talk anyway. But that's that's just how silly our humor is. And I think, as I said, it just gets better and better and better and better. It's not aging poorly.
Speaker 1: I really despised that when some people media try to paint this movie as elitist or patronizing, and I just think, no, this is this. It feels like my childhood. Yeah, it feels like the people who I kind of grew up with in characters that I knew. And it's one thing to kind of look at Working Dog now and obviously, you know, the most success full production company. They're so being responsible to so many of our TV memories and success stories. But yeah, this is really true. I think to Rob's you know, Rob's growing up, growing up, and I think they all kind of share a very similar kind of you know, childhood and adolescens and and family kind of situation. And I just, I just I think it's so warm and I agree in ages in its age really well, despite the simplicity of it all, And maybe that's part of the key.
Speaker 4: I think that's what it is. I think it's shade shaped a lot of people's humor as well, but it shaped how we perceive family to a degree. I think what I found most about it is obviously the careers that it launched too. I mean, we talk about Curry and Eric Banner, who is, in my mind is a comedian. He's always been a funny, funny, comedic actor, and he went on to do all these really great serious roles. But to me, he's still like him kickboxing and just like beating the crap out of that bag, even though there's no jokes, just him kicking it while she's holding it. I think that's hilarious, and I think he's so funny in this film, and obviously it's the most quotable film in our country. There's so many friendships that are based off just these quotes.
Speaker 1: But it's gonna when we drive to Mambulla and we go through Bonnie Duoon, I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Speaker 6: You are.
Speaker 1: We are singing the song we are and Barney dude.
Speaker 4: Yeah, every single type, every single time.
Speaker 1: Sometimes I say if if, even if I'm not in the mood, I'll sing it. And I just under my We're going to Barney. So it's you know, it's been it's been sun. Yeah, there's respect.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The film is like it it's like it's it's Mum's like homemade soup when you're sick type thing. It just gives you this warm sense when you watch it. But did you know the Bonnie Dune house is I'm not sure if it's still is, but you can you can airb and be it. It's available on airbnb the somebody. Yeah, and I think it's any reasonably priced, but it's huge. Apparently it's like a massive amountable house that's just built off the back of this film. Imagine owning that real estate. Now that's a piece of Australian cinema history.
Speaker 1: I spent my A lot of people didn't know where Body Dune was or what it was. But I actually my schoolies was spent in bonding his school. That's how old I am. I feel like it's amazing. I feel like when you, yeah, you found that your parents went to like Marinebula for their honeymoon. You know, like we went to we went the schoolies just like camp because the Gold Coast hadn't necessarily kicked off massively. This is ninety three, Yeah, so it hadn't kicked off massively. Is I think that everybody just went to or you know, a buyer and now as well. So we kind of we just didn't. We thought my mate had a property up there, so we went and had a bonfire at the time, great tar.
Speaker 4: Yeah, God, you would have sung that song though I know it wasn't.
Speaker 1: Now when it came out, I was like, Bonnie, you got ahead of it, you were you were ahead of the curve, a little bit ahead of the curve.
Speaker 4: Wow, you made funny doing cool before it was cool.
Speaker 1: That must be made it cool. But you certainly had some good times there, but they are They're three great movies if you if you haven't shown The Castle to your kids. The only thing I'll warn is that Trial Morrow's character does swear at the photocopy of way more times than I had relatable it is.
Speaker 4: This is before technology was huge, and even the idea now of technology you want to kick it and I've replaced that trade. You know, you get mad at it now ahead of the curve.
Speaker 1: But one of the other things about The Castle before we move on, is the performances are so kind of subtle, but they're so pitch perfect. You're right, absolutely right about Eric Banners. Sophie Lee is so good, Couzin is amazing in it, and it's it'll be it's easy to overlook. And this thing, well that looks like they're not necessarily emoting or they're not you know, they're not big flowery speeches or anything like that. But they are just beautiful, beautiful performances.
Speaker 4: Michael Caton, Of course, I think Cauz's funniest moment in the whole film is he doesn't even say anything. You know, she's on the couch of that day, Dad, Dad dead stop it and then she runs out and carry just runs in the room, just has this smile on his face like he's just happy that his family get long, not even saying a word. I just find that smile so far every.
Speaker 1: Time I agret him laughing at red Face or hey, hey it's Saturday whatever they're watching. Yeah, yeah, and he's just like, you know, when you laugh so much, you got your face he's doing, he's doing a bit of that, and the whole jamunji what what what?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 1: When? When? When Eric banners Con is talking about is it the bar of meet there in the barley? Oh YEA been on the holiday and how good the people are, how good the service was over there? And all couz Or Dale wants to know, he's what movie you watch? Because I reckon I was that kid. Yeah, I was the kid who I remember came coming back from school once school holidays and I was having a I forget what it was a fight with one of a best mates called Blake, and I sent still on breadover. I sent a mate over to ask him what movies he had seen over summer. I just that's what you wanted to know, because I'd seen splash Stream, Egos, and The Boy Could Fly Huge. Yeah, what a summer. Good summer summer. Sorry about summer blockbusters one of the ogesus I think reframed the modern blockbuster. Terminated To nineteen ninety one, at the time was the biggest and the biggest budget for any movie ever made. It did amazing things with special effects with industrial light and magic involved. Great documentary on the Disney site about those folks. James Cameron directing obviously, Arnold schwarzeneg and Linda Hamilton edwar Furlong's debut. Roger Patrick, Danny Cooksy from Different Strokes gets in there. Sam from Different Strokes he is in there as well. Jackson Tozer, did you enjoy Terminator to Judgment Day?
Speaker 4: I could not have loved it more. I am like Gus that it is taking me this long to watch this film.
Speaker 1: I'm so glad, you know. I mean, I was confident. Sometimes I come to the podcast I try and we don't discuss it beforehand, so I come, you know, blissfully unaware of what you thought of it. But sometimes I come with some confidence saying the word come.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, I'm just so mature, but you're just sitting opposite Meat I just come blissfully. I'm not just trying. Come on, Jackson, you're thirty years old, be professional, be serious, like and then you said it again.
Speaker 1: I'm so sorry.
Speaker 4: I'm just so immature. Oh well, sometimes I arrived, Yeah, sometimes a bit earlier than That's fine.
Speaker 1: But I was confident. I was confident that you're going to love this movie because it does. It does more than any other sequel that I can remember. It does add to the And I think I mentioned it to you last time where I saw this before I saw the Original Terminator, and the Original Terminator almost looks like just like almost like a little prequel, like a little small kind of little film, like almost a slasher flick. Compared to the canvas that they're working with.
Speaker 4: It must be what like what it's like to be one of the Hemsworth parents. Like when the first one came along, you got, oh nice, But then the second one came it's like, oh, this is shit, Like it's better than Luke. Holy hell, this is ten times better. We're gonna make a lot more money off this one then we did the first. But it is I don't think I don't think you need to see the first one. It definitely helps. But this works on its own, like it's got enough jumps to the future to explain what's happening and everything. I guess all you miss is the Linda Hamilton Arnie dynamic that why she's so scared of him.
Speaker 1: There are some moments and that is such a brilliant moment when Linda Hamilton La Sarah Connor slides into the terminator Arnie and it's just so when you kind of realize, I mean it was when I happened without saying it, you can understand that she would be scared of this guy. But to know where she's come from in terminator fearing him, to then bumping into him and the fear in her face, it's a great performance be done. Yes, there's some slow mo involved and all of that, but it's just it's brilliant.
Speaker 4: Having seen the first one, I think you feel that moment for her. But why is she the only one scared of him? Again we spoke about in the first one. When he shows up, there's other people who are like, aren't scared of him? Give me your clothes on? What are you gonna do about? Look at him?
Speaker 1: Look at him?
Speaker 4: Why do people still think they can take him on and he still beats the shit out of all of them. It's it baffles me. And Linda Hamilton got prison jacked for this film, my lord.
Speaker 1: I I up until this point in time, I can't think it's a Goney Weaver, including to Goney Weaver, but I can't remember anyone a female as ripped as Linda Hamilton. Yeah, in a film like this was like, I felt like a game changer, just as far as women's bodies in film.
Speaker 4: What you said, like when we did the first one, about how where she takes the character in the second. It is a completely different character the first one. And it's not even the fact that she puts on muscle that makes her a bad ass. I think her whole performance, her attitude, her skill set, her demeanor. There's so much that she does with this character in this film that makes it so iconic for me. Yeah, just the work, the work that she would have put in for this film. What was the budget for the film? It was a ridiculous amount. It was the most, but they couldn't afford a bra for her the entire film.
Speaker 1: Well, there was a rule I think in films are in the eighties and nineties about Bras were that one set.
Speaker 4: She's just so cool to when I was watching it, every time she put on like a pair of aviators or just walk somewhere, I'm like, cool, she is so cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, he knows, he knows how to capture cool, you know, like even even the T one thousands mirrored sunglasses and the flames, you know, like, you know, like he and even the roses. Why was why was he carrying a box of roses? It's a good moment, and you know, and a little nod to Guns and Roses, who were like the biggest band in the world and we're basically you could be mine. Is I think the first single release from the years your Illusion albums coming off Appetite for Destruction was one of the biggest debuts of all time and one of the biggest albums of all time. And they have that little Guns and Roses you know nod, you know, aesthetically was was nice. What I find I find fascinating about his sequel is everyone and I can't think of it happening before or since, but everyone in the sequel, so everyone in the original film where we find them in the it's everyone's flipped everyone's completely flipped. So if you look of three main characters, now obviously evil for long in the original, but we are aware that he's a resistant fighter. We meet him, he's the brattiest, he's the furthest thing away from a resistant fighter, right, Arnie is obviously he's been reprogrammed. He's the good guy now. It's it's it's brilliant. And we see Sarah Connor, who you know, it says like she's so far away from being as ripped as she is, but also just mentally up for leading, you know, a resistance.
Speaker 4: She is prepared.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's like in the first one, she's scared. She says, I'm no, I'm no leader. I'm just you know, I'm basically I'm just a mum.
Speaker 4: She's a wag pushed around.
Speaker 1: Yes, she's not a mum yet, but she yeah, she so, Yeah, she's quite of not weak in the first ones, but she's finding her strength. But she's certainly not the confidence that we find, you know, in judgment.
Speaker 4: I think a lot of that goes back to what you said about she has to be the one to kill the terminator in the first film without to do like, I think that's the moment where she as the character then goes right, I believe this is the future that's gonna happen. I need to now do everything to prepare for it. Yeah, she's just she is just such a bad ass in it. And there's still what you talk about the characters in the first one. The second one, Kyle Reese makes a return very briefly.
Speaker 1: Where's Kyle?
Speaker 4: So he's in the He's like a figment of her imagination. He comes back to judge her parenting. He's only in that one scene. Isn't it funny we spoke about they only knew each other for a few hours in the first one, and she's so horny for it and they get to it straight away. In this one, he comes there and he says like two lines to her and she just straddles him again, even though it's like a figment of her imagination. But he comes back, he's just like, what have you done? What have you done with John? I'm still rattling with Like to me, now, John knew he was sending that guy back in time to have sex with his mum, because he knows. John knows. In this one, he says like he's well aware that the guy who's's isn't even born yet.
Speaker 1: It is the elephant skeleton in the room.
Speaker 4: It's quite odd in you. So, even growing up with his best mate in the future, he's just in the back of his mind. He's like, there's going to come a day where I have to send you back in time to have sex with my mouth. He knows the whole time.
Speaker 1: Then he's cool with it, and he's cool with it.
Speaker 4: It's that thing of if anyone's going to do it, I'd want it to.
Speaker 2: Be you, mate.
Speaker 1: That's half fas, give me some skin.
Speaker 4: A great move bringing Arnie back as a protagonist to Oh what a great move.
Speaker 1: Stroa apparently was resistant to it. Yeah, he wasn't sure that that would work, and James Cameron really had to convince him basically to say, you know, he's got this.
Speaker 4: Full fledged star at this point too, right, he is a fully fledged A list Hollywood star.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So, I think he's made a couple of films, you know, he has made some films in between. I think True Lies comes, we're going to be after after. I still I still think that's that's ahead of him. Yeah, he is. I mean this was I said, I remember this film being released. So I'm sixteen when this is released, I'm right in the hitting zone and it was just massive. And I think I was because it just looked awesome, like everything, the packaging around it, the trailers. You know, they did a great job. And I said, this is a film that I hadn't seen it in the original you know, the first one, so I you know, I was pumped to see it, and they did a great job of kind of going it doesn't you know, like you don't have to go see the first one because it wasn't as easy to as we go see the first one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know it was was it seven years? I think seven years between the two of them, plenty of time to figure out the time travel logic decided to ignore that.
Speaker 1: But what a?
Speaker 7: What a?
Speaker 3: What a?
Speaker 4: Do you want to talk about the special effects, because that is that is phenomenal, mean what a massive, massive upgrade to what the first one was. It's it's still the liquid liquid stuff for that time would have been amazing.
Speaker 1: It was amazing, Like I watched it. I watched it the other night and I was, yeah, you could see how far we've come, of course, because but at the time it was incredible, And there's only about sixty five or so CGI shots. There's still a lot of there's a lot of practical, a lot of practice stuff going on.
Speaker 4: I mean, the thing that gets me with the liquid metal is the reflection. That's got to be the hardest thing with something changing. The light would change and bend with the reflection. But when he walks through the jail cell door, thing that I could imagine being ninety one sitting in the theater going what the fuck just happened? How did they do that? Because they would have been that would have been just such an advancement. Now they didn't. They didn't create the OSCAR category.
Speaker 1: For this film.
Speaker 4: I don't think there was a film where it had a huge breakthrough in special effects that they had to create that category. And I'm not sure if it was this one or not, But there is an amazing practical effects shot in this where they are taking the chip out of Arnie's head. Yeah, and you're seeing him in the reflect I looked into it. That's not a reflection, that's just a that's a dummy sitting in the foreground that you can see the back of his head. Ah, And the reflection is literally just Arnie threw a cardboard cutout on the other side of it, so when they pan to him and pen back to the head, they can actually rip the chip out of it. So there's this really and I wouldn't have known unless I watched a YouTube video on that on how they did it. So there's these practical effects that are so well done you don't even know in twenty twenty that it was practical.
Speaker 1: And I love that because you do have some filmmakers who get so kind of obsessed with what they can do in the edit suite. George bluc is probably you know in this camp that they just will do everything with CGI. I love that James Cameron has a discipline to kind of go, well, we need cgr for this, but there's no reason why we can't shit this practically. Yeah, and you've got the talent at your disposal, but indust your light and magic estimates eight weeks. It took eight weeks for every twenty five seconds of a computer generated shot. Eight weeks for every twenty five seconds.
Speaker 4: Oh that is that is a grueling schedule.
Speaker 1: It's phenomenal.
Speaker 4: That is so crazy. Now there's like an Instagram filter that can do all of that for you immediately. Yeah, yeah, jumping technology.
Speaker 1: This is completely right, Like, it is amazing that what we have in our pockets now is basically what they were, you know, you know what they had at the time in what we can do. That's why, you know, if you're it's a great time to be, you know, a young filmmaker because you know you have access to this stuff.
Speaker 4: Well, I see you got this green screen here. Do you use that for anything?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we take some photos sometimes afterwards, and yeah, we know it's a whole studio. Yeah, studios. Don't you worry about that. Don't cut costs. I did love the the time with the first one, that the idea that that this terminator was still wanted for the deaths of those the police officers. I love one as a Yes, there are still ramifications for you can't just go into a place of.
Speaker 4: Some continuity, no doown.
Speaker 1: Yeah, these guys and thedn't go Okay, we moved on because it's a cold case. And yeah, I like that. I liked I like the flashbacks or the flash the flashbacks of flash forwards forwards of the the apocalypse. It just reminds you at once at stake.
Speaker 4: So many crack. So many skulls too, a lot of skulls. The roads are just paved with skupe nicely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what is with that? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, but yeah, the future so bleak, it's so bleak.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The opening credits is just like a playground a blaze, and it's just such a bleak image of the future. What is twenty twenty seven? I think it was twenty twenty nine, twenty nine?
Speaker 1: What was going on?
Speaker 4: Yeah, twenty twenty nine. Yeah, yeah, it's yeah, possible, it's a possible future.
Speaker 1: Still. They do very they do a good job. When we see Linda Hamlet in the mental hospital, I was planting we've spoke before about you know, you don't have to have seen the first one. Yeah, they do a very good job. It's a nice expedition going on. And let's have a listen to some exhibition exposition delivered by the mental hospital's psychologists to of course some visiting doctors or you know, nurses.
Speaker 8: She believes that the machine called the Terminator, which looks human of course, was sent back.
Speaker 2: Through time to kill her.
Speaker 1: That's original, and also that.
Speaker 8: The father of her child was a soldier sent back to protect her. No, he was from the future too, the year twenty twenty.
Speaker 6: Nine, if I remember correctly, here we are, morning Sarah, Good morning, doctor Silverman. How's the knee.
Speaker 5: Fine, Sarah?
Speaker 8: She uh stabbed me in the kneecap with my pan a few weeks ago.
Speaker 5: They do.
Speaker 4: She had to elaborate on you.
Speaker 1: You wanted to just like, yeah, she's crazy. Yeah, you actually explained. That is pretty hilacticous.
Speaker 4: So you all asking me. I can see you are looking at me wondering what happened. Well, she did stab me.
Speaker 1: In the knee.
Speaker 7: It is.
Speaker 1: It's certainly a funnier film they have. They have more moments. I know you found Terminator funny that it is, but this is knowingly funny.
Speaker 4: I think when he says your foster parents are dead, that's so funny to me. It's just so blunt.
Speaker 1: Well, one of the great scenes. In fact, let's let's let's let's do you have that grab too. Let's let's let's keep it going, because so this is obviously they want he needs to check on the foster parents. He starts getting suspicious. Yes, this something might be a wry.
Speaker 5: John.
Speaker 2: It's late, honey, I was beginning to worry about you.
Speaker 1: If you hurry home, we can sit down.
Speaker 5: And have dinner together. I'm making Bee do something's wrong. She's never this nice?
Speaker 2: Where are you the hell is the goddamn dog barking?
Speaker 5: Here?
Speaker 6: Hey?
Speaker 5: Shut up? You work with the dog's really barking.
Speaker 2: I thought you're gonna tell the kid to get rid of.
Speaker 1: That fucking mud.
Speaker 8: John, Honey, it's late.
Speaker 5: Please don't make me worry. Cay there, Honey, are you okay? I'm right here, I'm fine.
Speaker 4: Are you sure?
Speaker 5: Are you sure you're all right?
Speaker 1: What's the dog's name?
Speaker 7: Hey?
Speaker 5: You know what's wrong with wolfy? I can hear him barking? Is he okay?
Speaker 4: Wolf is fine? Honey?
Speaker 8: Wolf is just fine?
Speaker 7: What are you.
Speaker 2: You? Flust the parents?
Speaker 1: I did?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 4: I wish he was there to break every every tough thing to ever hear. I wish Artie could just say it to.
Speaker 1: Me bluntly like that. One of the things I find, really I'm trying to think, like what what elevates this? This is obviously the special effects. I mean that kind of La River kind of basin car Chase is iconic, and and also the T one thousand is so good, Like I remember watching Butch Cassidy in the Sundance Kid. I'm not sure if you've seen that, but there's you know, there, there's this gang who are basically after Butcher and Sundance for the most of the movie, and they're just whenever Butch and Sundance think they've got rid of them, they just keep on top of And these are the guys on horses, you know, to see and I must I assume I'd love to know, but I reckon James Cameron. That must have been an influence, I think, because just it's just this feeling that you cannot get away from the bad guy, and this is I haven't felt like the way I felt in T two when I first particularly when I first saw it, particularly when he's running after him and they can't get away from him, and then he gets these hooks and he sts hooking into the car. It's like, how can they beat this guy? They can't beat him?
Speaker 4: Yeah, even with their own terminator. Yeah, he's running style so neat too, isn't it. He's such a neat sprinter.
Speaker 1: Oh he's yeah, yeah, he's I mean he was you know, he's reasonably unknown. He was told to come to the audition, and you know, he was told what, you know, they needed somebody who was I forget what the actual directions were, but he just kind of really locked into this kind of look where he's kind of acan often scanning the room, and this had this dead pan look in his face, but a fierce determination and intent. I think it's the intent in his eyes.
Speaker 4: His performance is very underrated because we spoke about the first one was Arnie's performance good or bad. He's a robot, so his delivery is robotic, but this, this robot is a dramatic upgrade from his terminator, and you can see it in the way that he performs it. He's still very focused, driven, but there is there is a bit more of a for lack of a better word, like a humanity to him in his performance, and I think that comes from it being like a software upgrade to a degree. But it's interesting you talk about the references of the film, Like I thought that Weakley thought that Greece would have been a reference to this, because even the cop has a real Kinicki haircut, and then the whole chase scene in that canal thing. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I just when I watched that, what would you call it a canal where they're doing the Yeah, well.
Speaker 1: I think it's got the base of the Los Angeles River. Okay, I think that's what's referred to.
Speaker 4: Because that was giving me real thunder road vibe when I watched it, and I was like, even the logic behind this, like in what world does a tow truck like outdrive a motorcycle? Like in what world can it catch up? Like I get there's a t one thousand driving it, but the physical structure, there's no way this thing is going to outrun. Also, like a ten year old on a motorbike what yeah, lookttle Yamaha. I think he's like ten years old or something in this film and he's young yeah, and his foster parents. He just gets the motorbike and just drives off and like whatever. It's a good the worst foster parents.
Speaker 1: It's a good point.
Speaker 3: Like the.
Speaker 1: The age, I think he looks older. I always assumed he was like fourteen or fifteen, but I think age wise from the if you feel like script, if you go back, he's like ten, yeah, yeah, and he plays older than ten.
Speaker 4: He definitely. He's a really good performance too, really really good performance. I don't feel like Bart Simpson wrote his dialogue. But outside of that, it was a really good performance. And there's something I found so funny about his foster parents, especially when the T one thousand shows up in a police uniform, like, oh no, what's happened to John's? Like have you seen him?
Speaker 1: Know?
Speaker 4: But there was another strange adult man here earlier on asking about him? Is that in any way connected? And it's like you were in charge of this child's life goe there and finding it. Two adult men have come to your door looking for him, and you're like, I'm sure one of them will find him and bring him home.
Speaker 1: Well, that's why we're I think we're quite okay when they died. Let's have a listen of let's see one thousand arriving at the residence of John Connor's foster parents.
Speaker 2: Are you the legal guardian of John Connor? That's right, officer?
Speaker 1: What's he done? Now? Could I speak with him?
Speaker 2: Please?
Speaker 1: Could? If you were here?
Speaker 2: Took off on his bike this morning so he could be anywhere. Do you have a photograph of John? Yeah?
Speaker 7: Sure, hold on, you're you.
Speaker 2: Gonna tell me what this is about.
Speaker 5: I just need to ask him a few questions.
Speaker 1: He's a good looking boy.
Speaker 4: Do you mind if I keep this picture?
Speaker 7: No, go on.
Speaker 5: There was a guy here this morning looking for him too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a big guy on a bike got something to do with this. No, I wouldn't worry about him.
Speaker 4: That's the ten second pause.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a good look. Though. It's good. It's when you're watching it. It is a lovely look that he gives.
Speaker 4: Yeah, can you imagine asking that cop is this this strange ginormous man was looking for my son this morning?
Speaker 1: Is that related?
Speaker 4: The cop spends five seconds and sons and goes no, and you just go, all right, move on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we hope you die. Yeah, we hope you die. The mental hospital. I mean, it's a great story. The idea that so John Connor's rebelling with his foster parents, he's rebelling against his mum because he thinks he's crazy. That idea, that that realization you must have when you are told no, your mum's not crazy. Yeah, it does. It's a great idea to drive that character and it makes it just makes perfect sense. Apparently the John Connor idea came later the James Cameron, which I thought, when you when you see a film that I think is pretty perfect you to go what this must have come out? You know, you must have had this idea and John Connor must have been at the center of the idea the whole time, but it came a bit late. Apparently James Cameron was doing a lot of ecstasy at the time and was obvious and was listening to Russians Love their Children Too by sting. Yeah, and that was the inspiration to kind of involve John Connor.
Speaker 4: That is such a crazy story.
Speaker 1: It's just a crazy because it's an obvious thing. Yeah, I got this this future resistance leader that you have set up Interminator. Yeah, let's meet him in Terminator too.
Speaker 4: And he also, like just the thought of the weight of the world on a ten year old shoulders too is a great, great story concept.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's this.
Speaker 4: Beautiful thing of like it says a lot about Sarah's character. The character of Sarah as well is that not even her son believes her and he comes around like that's that's a lot. That's a lot for her to be going through.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and also the we allow Sarah Sarah Cona's out breaking out is more enjoyable because of the way we know she's been treated. You know, yes, you know, we don't like to see healthcare professionals treat like that in real life obviously, But when you're licking the face.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, as James Cameron gets, how many people get licks in this film the lick. I cringed so much. I cringe so much watching it. It is so My housemate actually got up because I can't watch this moment. Oh, we should watch Kill Bill after this, where it gets even worse than that with an unconscious pace. It's oh, it's gross. But yeah, that also justifies the absolute beating that they get.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everyone gets they're just deserts.
Speaker 4: It's good that she breaks out as well. It's not just reliant on Arnie to come break her out, like she gets out. She does so much to get out of that seal and keep moving on. Yeah, yeah, I thought I thought that was. That whole sequence is really well done. It's a constant cat and mouse this whole film. It's this chase sequence.
Speaker 1: It's well, it feels like it's one long chase sequence. And the one of the smart choices they made is to have this rule that John Conner kind of introduces, which is no killing, which we spoke about this in terminated the body count, and I think I reckon attitudes had changed even in that seven year period as far as seeing the amount of gun violence on screen, and we kind of moved away from this kind of post Rambo and post Terminator going, we don't really want to see this many paths on screen. So this brilliant little thing of going you cannot you cannot kill anyone is so brilliant. I love it.
Speaker 4: I love it for so many reasons. I feel like it was kind of a generation too, where filmmaking wise, they instead of killing people, they always took it out on cop cars. Yeah, like so many cop cars got done in this film. When Arnie gets to the roof of that massive machine gun and goes, I'll take care of the cops, he just shoots all the cars, that blows them all up, which, by the way, doesn't take care of the cops. It just destroys their vehicles. But he the body count is different. I like the idea that John is in control of him too. You must do what John says.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's like no.
Speaker 4: Killing, And I feel like there was a there's got to be a better use for like a ten year old or for a teenager to have their own terminator, like can you go buy me beer or something like not just don't kill people like you'd have so much fun with it.
Speaker 1: There is some fun elements. Let's have a listen to some of these rules.
Speaker 5: You have to do what I say.
Speaker 1: That's one of my mission parameters.
Speaker 6: Prove it.
Speaker 7: Stand on one foot, Yes, cool, terminator, your kay kid, take a hike.
Speaker 4: Bozzer must get out of here. Fuck you, you little dip ship.
Speaker 5: Dip ship.
Speaker 4: Did you call?
Speaker 3: Wah?
Speaker 5: A dip ship's trying to ground this guy.
Speaker 7: I can't believe it.
Speaker 5: Now, who's the dip ship?
Speaker 6: You jock be.
Speaker 5: Now put the turn down, Now get out of here. The split Come on, Jesus, you're gonna kill that guy.
Speaker 1: Of course I'm a terminator. I mean, I mean, let's be honest. John Connor a bit of a dick in that scene. Massive dick, A massive dick.
Speaker 4: What a cocky little dick too?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I mean the terminator does love a local tough. There's a local gang of tufts. We saw that in Terminator one and and here we are again. But these these these tough compared to the ones in the first film. They're coming over at John's insistence to help.
Speaker 4: To help a ten year old boy, oh boy.
Speaker 1: And then it basically told the funk off.
Speaker 4: Yeah, is there like a spinoff where we follow those two guys who actually genuine good nudes. They came over to help a ten year old who was being harassed by this seven foot massive bodybuilder and then they get told to funk off and get beaten up. Like they're genuinely good people.
Speaker 1: I just would love to see them. Actually, they're a whole spin off movie. But that's the conversation they had as they drove away to go what happened there?
Speaker 4: Is the last time we ever try to help somebody out right, like this is maybe there's a maybe there's a spinoff film with maybe The T three is the Revenge of the son of one of the security guards that gets knee capped by army because that's brutal too. You can't kill them, but you can blow their knee out. Yeah, Like that's still pretty bad.
Speaker 1: Career ending.
Speaker 4: It's career ending.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there years and security guard Academy for nothing, you know.
Speaker 1: Speaking of security guards, a little fun fact that the security guards at the T one thousand takes basically the vending machine and he's looking at himself. He can mimic. No special effects involved as far as like, as far as it's not a reflection. They're twins.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, Yeah, that's great. That is really interesting because it's that one felt pretty flawless to me too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Dan and Don Stanton is his name, Dan and Don.
Speaker 4: Their parents got lazy with that. Yeah, it's like they had one loaded. They thought they were having one baby. There's another one. Oh shit, Don, that'll do.
Speaker 1: I One of the things I really like about this about two two, and I think it gives a lot of heart, is that it feels like it feels like a father and son movie as well. The father figure finally coming in obviously Kyle Reese, he's no longer on the scene outside of force ghost form, and it's really it gives it a real sweetness, I guess, but also you know, something to see for this single mother. I think the sea a man come in and take him under his wing and actually be there and like that speech she gives, let's have a listening. It's it's it's it's it's Sarah Connor looking at Arnie and Sarah kind of looking at the terminator and John Connor, and the the relationship that's growing.
Speaker 9: Budging John with the machine, it was suddenly so clear the Terminator would never stop. It would never leave him, and it would never hurt him, never shout at him or get drunk and hit him, or say it was too busy to spend time with him.
Speaker 2: It would always be.
Speaker 9: There, and it would die to protect him. Of all the would be fathers who came and went over the years, this thing, this machine, was the only one who measured up in an insane world.
Speaker 4: It was the scenest choice. Hasn't she dated some bad guys? If a terminator is the best father figure for her.
Speaker 1: Son, yeah, ladies, there are better guys out there.
Speaker 4: There's a bit of a bit of the Iron Giant to it as well.
Speaker 1: I feel I haven't seen the Iron Giant, which.
Speaker 4: Neither of I, but I got the idea of what it is. A little boy with a giant, iron giant best friend. Yeah, there's a bit of this too. I also don't appreciate how much John punks him with the down low too slow. Yeah, so it just keeps doing it, keeps getting like he's just mocking this man right in front of him. Too. Slow, and he keeps doing it. It doesn't miss a beat.
Speaker 1: It's almost it's either a father of sudden relationship or a son or a boy and dog relationship. Yes some of them. Edward Furlong does treat him like a like he's a.
Speaker 4: Pet Harry and the Henderson's type thing something. Yeah, this big, big idiot type man who is a protector to him. But it really baffles me that she she must have dated some real bad people. Yeah, really, which is why Kyle Reese comes back and judges her parenting and she's done. She raises the future hero of the world.
Speaker 1: Exactly. You try to do it, Car, she just whatever happened to you?
Speaker 4: Well, that's the thing with the logic. If she stops the future from happening, then she stops Kyle Reese coming back to impregnate her with John.
Speaker 6: Like.
Speaker 4: There is a lot of time travel logic that is not fully fleshed out. But that's fine, We'll let it slide. Yeah, I mean, you know, I think I covered all this in Frankie Fish. Yes, yeah, you did, really, really well.
Speaker 1: The there's also another actually I want to talk about the head of Skynet who so Linda Sarah Kind of goes and mows down the house really like sprays it with bullets, like indiscriminately, just takes it out. Amazingly, he doesn't Miles doesn't get killed. But it's what were you thinking when when she went there? And I think it's probably feels like the beginning of the Third Actor, that were you expecting her to take him out?
Speaker 2: He was?
Speaker 4: What I was thinking at that point is there is no world where a man can create artificial intelligence on a computer that's running anything less than Windows ninety eight. How the hell is he creating AI on those massive.
Speaker 1: That's like Jackson that's his home computers at the work.
Speaker 4: Is running Vista at work.
Speaker 1: But I did wonder if you take him out the technology. Surely he's not the only one who he's told about this, Like there's other He's got board members or COLLEIAU.
Speaker 4: Someone's funding it, like someone has to know what he's doing. Yes, that was a weird moment because that to me, she was a real she was the villain in that moment. She's just spraying this house.
Speaker 1: Well, that's why I think there was apocalyptic kind of fan or forward visions are important because you're going to go, well, if she's trying to save three billion people by taking one person out there there is so when her fingers on the trigger, you're kind of like, I mean, you don't want it to happen, because you know, they played really well. That actor is really likable. Ye's a really likable presence about his son, guns in the room, his wife's and in the room. So you don't want you don't want it to happen, obviously, even though you're thinking, well, you know, it's the baby Hitler thing.
Speaker 7: It is.
Speaker 1: It's a spin on that.
Speaker 4: It is justified though from her character's point of view, because she's spent, however, many years in prison determined to stop this happening, so she is so switched on and driven to this moment, So.
Speaker 1: I think it makes complete sense. I do like that Miles does have, you know, like he quickly believed. He comes around pretty quickly, but I think understandably like he's already got one foot in this kind of world in the way, so he kind of it doesn't seem as as unbelievable to him as it might somebody else.
Speaker 4: Do you think it's a bit ahead of its time as well? In terms of the moral question of our technological advancement, the moral element of it, like how far are we going? And what's the ramifications of that? Like that's ninety one, you're talking about AI and we've been making films since about what would happen if we have artificial intelligence? But this film, I don't know, it feels like it's a bit of a breakthrough at that why.
Speaker 1: I feel like it's only been reasonbly recently in the last ten years.
Speaker 4: Now that's becoming more real.
Speaker 1: You see like Boston Dynamics and you're going to go, fuck, that's scary, you know, like and back then it felt like fantasy. Yes, you know, I mean sadly, and this is a lot about the set of the world. It does feel like some of these apocalyptic films. You know, you go, ah, I can see how that might happen. Now.
Speaker 4: That's why Black Mirror is so terrifying because it's not scary. It's terrifying because it kind of could happen, like each episode you like, I think it was a review that said, this show happens five minutes from the current time, Like that's what's scary about it. It could happen now, Like yeah, yeah, And I think this film delves into it in that moment too, because yeah, this guy creates this horrible future, and there's gonna be something traumatizing to find out what your creation ends up doing. Yeah, I think I think he plays it. I think it was quite an interesting character.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then he you know, he sacrifices himself. That's right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Geesey gets sprayed with bullets.
Speaker 1: It's a great he's almost doing like lamars or something, that breathing exercise that breathing does before he actually died.
Speaker 4: But he has the moral conscious to to help to tell them, show them the detonator, so he doesn't kill these innocent cops either.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: That's that's nice. Where Sarah would be like, fuck it, I'm gonna get.
Speaker 1: Yeah, whatever whatever it takes. Yeah, yeah, I really liked that as a character.
Speaker 4: I think we talk about the budget too. I'm not sure if you noticed this on your watch. I only noticed it when rewatching it was I feel like maybe majority of that came from Pepsi. There is so much Pepsi product placement in this.
Speaker 1: I seem to recall there may have been actually connection and sponsored you know, I remember for some reason, I remember ads or something.
Speaker 4: I counted about five or six moments where there was just a pepsi for no reason.
Speaker 1: And I reckon, this is the height of the product. Placement became a really big thing around this.
Speaker 4: Time because you're getting that much money. We just say it was the highest budgeted film of its time and justified too. I mean, the first one proved itself. You see, you see where the money spent in this I do I do like about this film?
Speaker 1: Do you like the money? The opening sequence I think costs more than the entire film, the whole the whole first film, the whole first film, and I think even like the rest of the so I think somebody said it maybe even cost as much as the rest of the film.
Speaker 4: So yeah, they just spend so much, like James Cameron spent every cent of that budget, with those like the cops being the cars being blown up for no particular reason. Like I always feel, I felt like after watching this that this is the film Michael Bay has spent his entire life trying to because that's just what it feels like. Same with like the lighting that very blue and orange. Yeah, it just seems like this is and it very well could be. Michael Bay was so inspired by this film, but they spent so much of their budget on this. I'm going to find this little fact here because there was something about Arnie. Yeah, so Anie got fifteen million dollars for seven hundred words of dialogue in the film, which means for husta la vista babe, he was paid eighty five, seven hundred and sixteen dollars for that one line.
Speaker 1: That's hilarious. Let's have a listen actually to John teaching him some of these, some of these phrases. If he wants to fit in.
Speaker 5: You gotta listen.
Speaker 7: And the way people talk, you don't say affirmative or some shit like that.
Speaker 5: You say no problema.
Speaker 7: And if someone comes off to you with an attitude, you say eat me. And if you want to shine them on, it's asta la vesta baby, Asta lavista baby.
Speaker 5: Yeah later, dick one.
Speaker 7: And if someone gets upset, you say chill out, or you could do combinations, chill out, Dick.
Speaker 5: What that's great.
Speaker 2: You're getting him no problema.
Speaker 1: Now he's he's great. I heard not he gonna say. You know he would read these lines and think, well, there's no chance of this becoming iconic, Like he wouldn't be able to see better.
Speaker 4: You're right, I'll talk for a while.
Speaker 1: Uh so, But and he does recognize that it's the way it comes out of his mouth, like he was saying in the first terminator that, James Cameron, it makes it sounds better when I say I will be back, yeah, and instead of I'll be back, and he's had he didn't feel right in his mouth, and James Cameron said, okay, how would you say? Heyes, I will be back. James Cameron goes no, to say I'll be back, and he goes okay, well, and then it becomes one of those iconic lines. And if if clinice Wood says that possibly, I mean maybe, but but probably not. Nah, it becomes it is it is the delivery.
Speaker 4: But what does husta levista mean?
Speaker 1: Well? What I love about this is they I think it's and I have no idea what the thinking behind I don't remember anyone before this saying hustles the baby is it?
Speaker 4: Is it a different language?
Speaker 1: Well, it's it's Spanish, Spanish vista. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Do you see what I mean about John Connor's dialogue being written by Bart Simpson. That was all those phrases that he was just saying.
Speaker 1: But at the same time, I reckon what I What I think is I'm glad they didn't go like there's a version of this where he says, don't have a cow man. Oh you know where the really time stamps it ninety one or you know, like late eighties. Even so, because nobody, to my recollection, was saying Huster Li vis the Baby before this, it kind of it's its own thing, and it becomes tied to this movie as opposed to tied to nineteen ninety one, and I think that's I don't know how intentional it was. I'm not sure why they chose has to Vista Baby.
Speaker 4: Was he trying to replicate? Do you think was he trying to replicate the success of.
Speaker 1: I'll Be back? Well, I guess this is what Arnie's kind of saying. He's kind of saying that you don't you never know, Like when you watch these movies, you always think, oh, they must know that that bit was going to be in the trailer, or that bit was going to be the thing that Yeah, but a lot of these lines, like Kindergarten Copy says, you know it's not a tumor, Like why is how's it's I kind of because it sounds like he's a big, massive Austrian dude.
Speaker 4: That's very true. Like it's more here it's received than how it's given. I mean, and it's a context.
Speaker 1: It's often the context around it, Like you know, I imagine if if it just has a little vista in the car and then it doesn't come back as a callback later on when I think he takes it.
Speaker 4: It's right, it's the kill shot, it's the cool.
Speaker 1: So it's tied in this comedic moment, and then it's tied into this you know, this clima climactic moment.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it is a callback line to that, to that first moment. I think maybe I think maybe they knew what they were trying to do with it. I think they were like, this is going to be the cool moment he says this cool line before he does this cool thing. But I don't think they had any idea of how big it was going to go, because this franchise has you know, hustle evista, I'll be back and come with me if you want to live, which is three really famous Hollywood quotes.
Speaker 1: Even give me your when he when he first enters the pub, you know, and give me your I want your jacket, Yeah, your boots, your jacket, and your motorcycle.
Speaker 4: I'm still obsessed with Bill Paxton's He's a few can short of a six pack line.
Speaker 1: For the first time.
Speaker 4: It's just the cheesiest dialogue.
Speaker 1: But I love it. Yeah, yeah, what do we think of the ending? I do love when he takes out the you know, when he explodes, because you always got to have the villain that you think is is basically unkillable. You've gotta have the moment where you think they're dead. And this was a really good moment where you kind of go, even though we've seen the metal kind of like marry up with each other and kind of rejoin. Is terrifying when you first see that happened, and then again you're going, well, they're not. How can they even though you know subconsciously that Arnie's going to win the day, of course, but you kind of got that, well, they can't. You can't be because this keeps regenerating.
Speaker 4: It's it's interesting because when the first one he dies three times and then when you see the light go out, you know he's dead. This one, I was like, I would have thought liquid nitrogen would destroy melted metal, whereas the way to kill melted metal was to put him in fire. That was what will confuse me. And even when the t one thousands lowered in, well it was thrown into the whatever you call it fire.
Speaker 1: And he's like a monster.
Speaker 4: He's squealing like a monster. He's transforming back into these other characters.
Speaker 1: And yeah, that was cool.
Speaker 4: That was really cool. I was really impressed by that. I thought it was funny, just the dramatic tension of lowering Arnie in with the thumbs up instead of just like putting Mavy's misery and pushing him straight in, like he didn't have to go through this whole process of doing it slowly. It was It was nice to know that the guy's you know, he's dead.
Speaker 1: All that.
Speaker 4: I thought it was an interesting way to do it. And I still don't fully understand the logic of how that killed him, but nothing else does, but movies, you know, movies, movies, movies don't need to explain it.
Speaker 1: I did love when he when he when he got hard, as far as when the liquid ndage and turned into whatever it turns you toe freezes him. Yeah, and the walking was and like breaking he bits, breaking off him. I thought was still looks so good. Yeah, and it's just so well done. Yeah, that I don't think got enough credit for its visual effects. So that moment is when you are kind of thought, Okay, they've taken this is it feels like they've you know, they've gone through the ringer enough. He can probably satisfyct. Yeah, I'll be satisfied. He's dead now. Yeah, And then of course what I mean is he then of course comes back and you're going to go, Okay, it's not over yet.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I thought I thought it was. And even when Artie's being pulled up and he gets the killing blow on.
Speaker 1: Him and his arm gets crushed in the rush. Yeah he's a robo.
Speaker 4: Yeah, still in pain watching that.
Speaker 1: Some fun facts before we before we wrap up, Billy Idol was was almost going to play the T one thousand broke his leg I think in a motorcycle accident. Very fitting. Yes, So maybe maybe it's best.
Speaker 4: That would have been a good man because we maybe said sting potentially for Kyle Reese in the first thing.
Speaker 1: That's right, So James Kemon must have a bit of a vibe going with some of those musicos from the eighties. Donald dan Stand weren't the only twins used in this movie. Linda Hamilton has a twin. No way, the name's Leslie Hamilton, something about the naming of twins, and she plays Sarah when the T one thousand is impersonating her.
Speaker 5: Ah.
Speaker 4: That makes sense.
Speaker 1: That makes sense.
Speaker 4: So are they identical? They have to be, They must be so identical.
Speaker 1: I think the lesson is, if you're planning on the stunts and special effects, find and acted with a twin, do you have a twin?
Speaker 4: No, that's the problem. That's why my career is going shocking right now. Although John Connor's stunt double when he's on the motorbike, I pause. It is obviously a forty five year old male.
Speaker 1: There's a couple of times. There's a few times be Ago, that's not Arnie or yeah, Edward Furlong.
Speaker 4: That was. There's not too many ten year old stunt riders out there, so of course they had to they had to change that around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they might be my fun facts.
Speaker 4: I had a couple this time, but yeah, the the fun fact from the first one was blew my mind. That OJ was approached to play the terminator that's still like even in the sequel now ninety one, Like it just doesn't work. It's so it has to be Nie. There's no recasting for this film.
Speaker 1: In my mind, it's so funny when you the film becomes iconic and then you learn about the actors that could have played, and you know, and you're going to go, how could they ever even thought of that O. J. Simpson as the Terminator even outside of the murkiness. Yeah, and the murder AJ was responsible for the just the idea that that was the popular footballer of the day would be the best person you've cast. And like, this doesn't get past Terminator if AJ's playing, Absolutely not.
Speaker 4: And cinema is never the same. Yeah, it's never the same. The future was so you were saying that I think it's this year James Cameron gets the rights back to the franchise.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's what I'm But I also heard that he may have consulted on I think one of the last term it was watching the other ones, three or four more, Yeah, there is salvation. Was that the reboot with Christian Bale famously had that rant that was released. Yeah, Yeah, it's not very good. It's not very good. And there was one the more Genesis it always has.
Speaker 4: It brought Linda back, Yeah, and it was trailer for it.
Speaker 1: It was Calisi Clark.
Speaker 4: As a young Sarah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought she was actually I remember. I think she was a pretty good job.
Speaker 4: I think they made a TV show on it as well.
Speaker 1: The TV show, Yeah, I believe, because there was one that any kind of reappears or they use him the old Luke Skywalker trick trick, but but I think he actually has he has played the Terminator in one of the recent ones, but.
Speaker 4: A dark fate or something.
Speaker 1: I think it was cool, yes, yeah, yeah, but nothing's as good Terminated two stands, you know, even including the first film says above and beyond, it's all of them.
Speaker 4: As as its own film, not just as a sequel, I mean as its own film. It stands above so many. I'm so grateful I got to watch it and baffled that it took me this long to watch it. But I had to see the first one. That's sort of the rules. I always try and watch things chronologically, but that yeah, I've rewatched it three times since we did the first one. I'm just it's such a good film. It is just a good action film.
Speaker 1: I remember when I watched it a few nights ago, I was a bit snowed under, and I though I Watchinator two and I knew it was longer than two hours. And then it was like it happened so quickly, just melted into it and kind of done. How goods this? Which actually happens a lot with this podcast. To be honest, I will I will kind of go, oh, okay, I need this, you know, because it's usually a couple of hours watching a film, and then even a couple of hours you know, look crazy. This is your job looking over stuff.
Speaker 4: Well yeah, and I have to watch this movie for work, I know, I and I and I love.
Speaker 1: It like it's it's it's the thing of kind of going Sometimes when I go to a gig, I'm like, oh, I e skick and I'm going to go at it. And then as soon as you're either driving there or about to go and stay age, you like, how goods is? How good is this? So mate? Thank you? It does coming home work. You've done it twice now I won't make you come back for the other terminated films because I'm not sure if they live in the same classic status three. We'll book it in my congratulations today, I think we just found out that Hatchback, your short film that we spoke a little bit about last Time of Year on, has been nominated for an actor Yes, for Best Short Film. Congratulations pretty huge.
Speaker 4: I'm pretty very impressed, very very proud of grateful for that opportunity.
Speaker 1: Our good friend Stephen Curry is alsoing that where can people find it?
Speaker 4: If you have an Actor membership, you can view it through the Active web page. It isn't released publicly yet but will be once it's finished its festival circuit. But if you are an active member you can watch it and vote.
Speaker 1: For it too. I believe fantastic. So vote for Hatchback. Support all the guests that come on this podcast because they come after doing their homework, and you have done it in spades. Jackson Toza, thanks.
Speaker 4: Mate, No, thank you very much for having me back, for letting me come in spades.
Speaker 1: Oh here we go again, crass, there we go. The Terminator done, like I said, But we don't need to come back to do the rest of the Terminator franchise at this stage. But who knows what is in store with the future of that franchise. I want to thank Jackson once again for coming in and doing that bloke and also a fine, fine actor who's just getting hired and hired and hired, and I can't wait to see what his career, what it looks like over it. You know that many many, many many years. Derek Meyers is from Casaway Studios dot com and this is where we record. You ain't seen nothing yet in the heart of Collingwood, just a stone throw away from Smith Street. And Derek, surely you're a big T two fan.
Speaker 10: Absolutely, Yeah, that scary Mercury guy m and the way it was used was the harbinger of the future. The future was here when I saw that film, went right, it's here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it felt like that, didn't it, And it was. I think it was ahead of its time. I think it's aged so well. I mean outside of you know, the occasional haircut from you know, you know, the local tufts and then the odd marlot there here and there. It's just it's it's it doesn't look like a film that's you know now over you know, nearly twenty five years old. It's well nearly thirty years old. Actually, jeez, time flies when you're terminating Okay, So if you're supporting this podcast, the things you can do is you can rate us on our iTunes and give us a five star rating. That just keeps the algorithm doing what the algorithms need to do. Nothing creepy your sky netty about it at all. It just keeps us in the conversation and in the chart. So go to iTunes, rate us five stars rather a review, that would be greatly appreciated. And you can also get onto our speak pipe if you follow the links, and you can leave us basically like an answering machine message to use old parlance, and we'd love to hear your voice. You can also send us an email at yasny podcast at gmail dot com and Derek, I believe Christine has sent us an email this week.
Speaker 10: Yep, go on here from Christine. It says, dear Pete, thank you for a terrific podcast.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Christine.
Speaker 10: It's very enjoyable and I love listening to your episodes whilst spending time in my happy place, which is my sewing room.
Speaker 5: Ah.
Speaker 1: I love the thought of Christine in the sewing room listening to our podcast.
Speaker 10: That is that is really sweet, especially last year when in Lockdown those other days. I really enjoyed your recent episode with Clear Boditch reviewing the film Rocky.
Speaker 1: Great episode and great guests. Hopefully we get Clear back soon to do Rocky too. The way Jackson came back to do Terminator two Judgment day and you really really enjoyed that. I had great feedback on that one. Claire was such a thoughtful guest, and really I can't think of many episodes of the podcast, Derek that it almost had like it felt like it almost had a profound effect Unclaire, like the way she had in her own head had perhaps judged Sylvestis Stallone and you know, and then almost completely reframed Sevesis Delone in her eyes. It was surprising and really lovely.
Speaker 10: It was great to witness. And Christine goes on and says, I have a couple of suggestions for you. Consider Number one The Great Escape Steve McQueen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is certainly on the list, and I would love one of my favorite films, and I would love to do The Great Escape with somebody.
Speaker 10: Number two Ryan's Daughter, and number three Lawrence of Arabia.
Speaker 1: Or epics, a couple of epics. All good films, all good films, and yeah, we will put certainly The Great Escape and Lawrence of Arabia on the list. I'm not sure if Ryan's daughter is on the list, but I happily put that on there. Their oldies, but goodies. As Christine says, thank you, Christine Fox, thank you for listening to the podcast. Next week on the show Comedy Icon, Glenn Robbins, And so we leave old Pete
Speaker 6: Safe and soult and to our friends of the radio audience, we've been a pleasant good night.