Speaker 1: Get a pete here before we get started on today's episode. If you ain't Seen Nothing Yet, I just want to point out that this episode was recorded later last year, so there is a bit of COVID stuff. Obviously the world's changed even a bit more since then. But also the reason I make this point is this was before the passing of meat Loaf, who passed away earlier this year.
Speaker 2: He does come up.
Speaker 1: Obviously, he's a big part of the movie we're discussing today, So I just wanted to point to.
Speaker 2: That and enjoy the episode.
Speaker 1: Welcome to You and Seen Nothing Yet the movie podcast where I chat to a movie lover about a classic or loved the movie they haven't quite got around to watching until now, and today's guests broadcaster writer Kate Laanebrook.
Speaker 3: The first full of Flake Club is we do not talk about Blake, No advias.
Speaker 4: You read you brought my heart, Hi ad my your luck, mister bom.
Speaker 2: Dreams haven't right now?
Speaker 5: Do you see nothing here?
Speaker 2: Her appearances on the panel were legendary.
Speaker 1: It always had people chatting around the water cooler the next day, and more recently, we've loved having her on the project as a regular. Now she finds herself on Kiss FM for the afternoon drop off for Monty Diamond and Umi Stein's. Kate is a wonderful wordsmith and has put those words into a new book called chow Bala about her family stream holiday staycation in Italy which turned into maybe a less dreamlike lockdown situation as the penandemic came a knocking. Kate is warm, humane, a freethinker, keenly perceptive, and one of the greats.
Speaker 2: And I'm bloody stoked to be hanging with her today.
Speaker 6: Hello, I'm kateline Brook and my three favorite films are The Sound of Music, a Dogma film called Feston, and The Godfather.
Speaker 2: I want to make them a laugh again with you.
Speaker 6: But until two nights ago, I had never seen Fight Club.
Speaker 5: People are always asking me if I know Taylor Durden.
Speaker 3: Three minutes, this is it ground zero. Would like to say a few words to my defication.
Speaker 5: With a gun barrel between your teeth, you speak only in vowels. I can't think of anything for a second. I totally forget about Tyler's whole controlled demolition thing, and I wonder how clean.
Speaker 3: That gun is getting Exciting now.
Speaker 5: That old saying how you always hurt the one you love. Well, it works both ways. We have front row seats for this theater of mass destruction. The Demolitions Committee of Project Mayhem wrap the foundation plumns of a dozen buildings with blasting jelat In two minutes, primary charges will blow base charges, and a few square blocks will be reduced to smolder and rubble. I know this because Tyler knows this.
Speaker 3: Two and a half think of everything we've accomplished.
Speaker 5: And suddenly I realized that all of this, the gun, the bombs, the revolution has got something to do with a girl named Marla Singer.
Speaker 1: Yes, Edward Norton's insomnia acting the right of cruisers light not support groups, because well, what else are you gonna do when you're never really asleep and never really awake. When Helen that Bottom and Carter's Marla Singer arrives at a testicular cancer support group, it throws his mojo out of whack. The last thing he needs is another tourist in the room. But if that was Norton's narrator or Jack or whatever his name is, exactly thinks Marla is a handful. Wait until he sits next to Brad Pitt's Tyler Durdon on an airplane, a revolutionary Andy cabalist hipster soap maker who is wanting to set the.
Speaker 2: World's clock back to zero. David Finture's Fight Club Maybe in nineteen ninety nine was a punch to the head, both metaphorically and literally. Kate Lambrook, are you prepared to break fight Club's rules one and two with me today?
Speaker 6: What was two? I only know the first rule of fight Club verstual of fun. Never talk about fight club. Oh second rule, never talk about funk.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, I think he was trying to get the ten rules, so he.
Speaker 6: Just doubled up and in the edit they just were like, leavi it, le brad.
Speaker 1: Bitness picking up his liner. I need that again. They kept that in. Thanks for joining us.
Speaker 6: I'm so thrilled because it's making me think about I never really unlike you, who knows so much about films and filmmakers and actors and you have a really broad lexicon. I don't really ever talk about films or think about films much.
Speaker 2: But it is a wonderful thing about this podcast.
Speaker 1: And you know, the chat after with my guests is that when do we chat about films these days? Probably probably, like you might, that idea of going to see a movie and then going out for drinks out is a romantic idea, but nobody's.
Speaker 2: Got time for that.
Speaker 6: It did used to happen. I remember when I saw that Madonna film where she melted she got melted wax on it with that guy what's his.
Speaker 2: Name, body of evidence with the will.
Speaker 6: Thank you, Willem Dafoe, And I remember coming out of it afterwards, and you know sometimes when people would come out of movies that they need to be very declut am tree about what they think in a loud voice so other people can hear. And the guy, some guy behind rus is going or she's such a fucking slut, right, I wanted to say, as we used to say in Queensland, well dor free like that? Why is that? Do you even think that's an insult? That's actually a compliment to Madonna.
Speaker 2: She did a coffee book where she was taking out the bins with no pants on.
Speaker 6: We're pants in that entire book, including one of my favorite photographs. You haven't asked. That's another podcast her with that naked hitch hiking Yes photo, that's such a great photo.
Speaker 2: It was peak Madonna. Wasn't it like that whole It was kind of it was like a prayer was a few years and then in the Vogue and in Bed with Madonna documentary and the Sex Book, the.
Speaker 6: Sex Book, the Sex Books. Just I just remember that photo. I would love to have a photo of me doing that. No one else would like to see doing that. But everything about it is just perfection.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Anyway, You're right, you don't talk about.
Speaker 2: Films, so I'm the same way.
Speaker 1: So this is podcast has been great for me because I can revisit films that I love through fresh eyes and also films that I've never seen before. And that's been amazing, some of the films I've seen for the first time as I've blown my mind and knowing you need to talk about the.
Speaker 2: Film makes you watch it differently.
Speaker 1: Yes, and this is a film that I must say I've been a bit over the years met about, but which is kind of a weird reaction to have because it's quite a confronting film in many ways. But watching it again last night, I had a completely different reaction to it when I kind of watched more closely, and I hadn't watched it for maybe a decade, right and I think I was.
Speaker 2: I know there's some themes that I wasn't taking.
Speaker 6: Some of the themes seem quite contemporary.
Speaker 2: Now, didn't I. Yes, we'll get into the weeds of that, because there's so many themes in this.
Speaker 1: But why had it been on your mind that you hadn't seen? I think you nominated a fight club reasonably?
Speaker 2: I did.
Speaker 6: I did from the choices that I was given. That jumped out at me because it's just entered the lexicon. The first rule of fight club. We all know, I say it, and yet I've never seen fight Club. There was something about the film that some films will have, will be you know, minor films, and have a moment that cuts through. But obviously it was just such a seminal thing, and it was such a male film. It was such a thing. It was like a men's club, wasn't it? And so I wanted to say it. I wanted to see it. But there was a slight drawback for me. I think I'm going to be controversial.
Speaker 2: I expect nothing, try to be no. I know you don't know, I know, but.
Speaker 6: G Brad Pitt, shit, helly.
Speaker 2: We got to come open that can of worms at this point of the show, I do want to talk about the three films. Let's let's start with Love.
Speaker 1: Let's start with Love, and we're going to talk about those three films. The Sound of Music, I have stated on this podcast it's one of the very few movies that I would have seen maybe maybe as much, maybe not quite as much as I've seen Star Wars, like that was Star Wars and the Sound of Music growing up, like when I was really young, like formative years, and we're watching a movie was exciting and like really exciting, and you had maybe three or four videotapes.
Speaker 2: The sound of Music was on high rotation in our house. And I love it.
Speaker 6: Yes, I can't imagine anyone not loving it.
Speaker 1: I had a friend recently who showed it to their kids and I was like, I just had that go because I've never sat down my boys and watched it, and I think there was a mix of gender and the kids loved it.
Speaker 6: We we only watched it with the kids all the way through. I think we would have when they were little, but for them to be old enough to remember when we were living in Italy last year in Lockdown, and we started this thing in where we would do this thing called the Crying Game, where we would watch sad movies and see who cried.
Speaker 2: It was actually based on the movie The Crying Game.
Speaker 6: We didn't watch that with it, but it was always me who cried. And Artie, my number three, who is my number three child, who is very contained, very very few words, not demonstrative particularly whatever, but he and I would always be the first ones to cry. And Russell Crowe featured a lot in our Crying game. Movies okay, pop queiz? What were they?
Speaker 2: Beautiful? Mind? Yes, Cinderella man, No, there some of us? No, okay, Gladiator, yes, yes, of course.
Speaker 6: In the third one. You'll never guess.
Speaker 2: The third one, the third Russell Crowe film.
Speaker 1: I imagine it wasn't Roper Stumper. It is it is, it is. It is a great film, great film, the third Russell Crowe made in America or made in Australia.
Speaker 6: Oh, I don't know. I think made in America American Gangster, but with another Australian in it?
Speaker 2: Oh l A confidential.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 6: Never I'd said you'd never guess, because it's unlikely that it would.
Speaker 2: Who was the other Australian?
Speaker 6: Hugh Jackman?
Speaker 2: Hugh Jackman, Oh, what was what they made together? Oh is me love Me?
Speaker 6: Which you wouldn't think would reduce paper to tease. I think it.
Speaker 1: He cupped a little bit on that, But I I thought he was good. Me too, Yeah, I think he's always He's always excellent.
Speaker 2: I think Russell, me too.
Speaker 6: I just wanted to tell him that you have reduced us to tears in the middle of lockdown initialy with performances that are just part of your ubra? Is that eg or U is a woman's doctor. I've got a cute angina. But anyway, his body of work is phenomenal and I love him now he's playing he's embraced the bad guy in him, which so many Hollywood actors don't want to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's even like I feel like Noah, which you know, I'm sure you know a lot of people didn't see.
Speaker 2: I thought it was just really Noah.
Speaker 6: I haven't seen that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, it's great there in Aronofsky.
Speaker 1: Filmmaking a very high quality. So Russell Croust, not in the sound of music.
Speaker 6: Why do we get on to him because he made you cry? Because he made us cry. The sound of music made us cry.
Speaker 2: Yes, and there is an austrain connection with the sound of music he mentioned you mentioned.
Speaker 6: Yes, Maria, what is it you can't face? Which was was that in Priscilla that they was where it came about?
Speaker 2: Was it?
Speaker 6: No, it was an anecdotical thing before then that when they had those screenings I think where people dress up in the audience or whatever, that became a thing that Australian audiences would yell out, imagine matter, Yeah, what is it you can't face?
Speaker 2: I imagine though? Was that post social media?
Speaker 1: Like or is that like going back pre even in the eighties pre ah, do you find it amazing with social media?
Speaker 2: There then goes viralent, the spreads and then it's forgotten.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right, that is right. But like I remember when like jokes still spread. I still remember the Challenger disaster.
Speaker 6: And another seven astro.
Speaker 1: There being that joke almost that afternoon and everyone seemed to know that joke.
Speaker 2: How did that happen?
Speaker 6: I don't know. How did we know stuff before?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 6: How did we know stuff? I was thinking about that going if I was writing or whatever and I couldn't think of a word or I could call you realized you had different people you'd call for different things. So if I wanted to know something about a film, I would call you. If I wanted to know a word, I'd call my mom. If I wanted to know a recipe, like you must have had a living body of encyclopedia.
Speaker 1: Yes, is there a scene in or a moment in sound of Music that cements it in your Like when you think of the sound of music, do you go to the hills with Maria?
Speaker 6: No? No, no, no, that's just a that's the ad. Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's the retail opportunity.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 6: For me, I think it really gets me when she is in the Roachhunda with the captain and she's wearing a dress, this beautiful blue dress, and when he declares I think his love for her and she stands with her. Her posture in that film is what just gets me. It's a posture you don't see in any other actors. Now, actors if that like, they might work from the outside and emulate it, but it seemed to come from within her. Her humble, nun posture.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because no screen time.
Speaker 6: That's why she did have a forward, slooping neck. But she was just so beautiful in that scene for me, and when she sings somewhere in my life or childhood, or he sings, I must have done something good. I love that.
Speaker 2: I think my first crash was Liezel.
Speaker 6: Oh, I think a lot of people. Yeah, I'm al But Rolf, how did you feel when he betrayed her and blew the whistle in the graveyard?
Speaker 2: Yeah? That Ralph was a little turd. Why Ralph? You gotta forget when you whenever?
Speaker 1: Like, there have been times where I've revisited the sound of music and I've kind of gone, oh, that's right.
Speaker 2: There's Nazis in this movie. Yes, a kind of surprises me each time it does.
Speaker 6: It does and even though I mean they're not CARTOUNI, it's not cartoony. No, there's an actual, real sort of menace in them. And that glorious moment when the nuns have taken the yes car part? Is it a car Brener? I don't know what it is. They've taken some essential part out of the car. I just love it. I love it so much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is a beautiful film. Let's talk about Feston. I haven't seen Fast and I'm very much aware of it. And this is part of the Dogma and directed by Thomas Vinterberg, who recently did The Hunt, which is an extraordinary film.
Speaker 6: I'm going to write that down. What's that hunt?
Speaker 1: The Hunt is Mad's Michelson, and it's about basically a man in a small town who I think volunteers at the local I'm not sure if it's a kindergarten, but we're young. Let's say it's a kindergarten and one of the kids accuses him of being inappropriate with her, all right, and for some reason he's not.
Speaker 6: And he didn't do it. I know, I've seen it. I've seen it, and it spreads through the whole village. Yes, yes, I've seen that, which all of which supports my contention, Hellia, that the Europeans cannot make a film, especially the Scandalegians, can't make a film without incest. Like it's their go to. It's their go to. And you know, when you go to a film festial, you could just walk in at random, and if you see a gray sky, an old man walking beside a swampy lake, and geese flying low over the leaden sky, you know a kid is gonna cop it. You just know, because that's what they love, and that happens infested well, the kid hasn't copped it. The kid reveals at this right, the family are all trapped together in a house. It's just Christmas. That's my idea of.
Speaker 1: Trapped and Tomas Wnderberg also there's a recent film called Another Round which he did, which is also magicall Senter's again.
Speaker 2: I don't think there's any incest in this one.
Speaker 6: What I will not be watching it because I always imagine them. I always imagine them going, oh yeah, the husband and wife sitting, you know, choosing, Oh look it's this, it's a key, or.
Speaker 8: Oh this is a new Lars from Laursen film. Oh, this is a fantastic one. The little girl is accusing someone of incest but it has not happened. Oh, we must put on our finery gote to film.
Speaker 2: It's a twist, twist, it's a twist.
Speaker 8: This is a twist from run we saw last week whereas a little boy had actually been interfered.
Speaker 6: Visa was a fantastic film, Like what are they thinking? Why do they love it so much?
Speaker 1: I guess I do love going into the darkest possible areas and.
Speaker 6: As they spend so much time indoors, maybe.
Speaker 1: Well yes, and then half three months of the year is in darkness all of these countries.
Speaker 6: Yes, and then the other three months of the year is in perpetual light when everything comes, all the secrets must come.
Speaker 1: At blooming with the flowers Another round is It is a really interesting film, and it's it's about these kind of mates, old old friends who that they've lost their feeling that a little bit like it would Norton, they've lost that kind of they feel a bit numb, and they decide they hear that some Norwegian professor has his theory that if you drink x amount of alcohol per day or no sorry, if you keep your blood limit at a certain alcohol limit, that is the perfect way that function. And they do it and it goes quite well, you know, for a lot time until of course, until until it doesn't. Let's bringing the kids. It doesn't, that doesn't happens. It's safe to watch, but it is.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: It was nominated for an ASCO And what's really interesting about that film is from a production point of view, Thomas Vinnerbergh's lost his daughter like weeks I think, even like a week in the shooting or a week before they started shooting, like in a car accident. It was really really flaunt and they just they continued to make it.
Speaker 2: Making the film.
Speaker 6: Well work is the salvation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, and then yeah, no judgment. That's some people do bury themselves in. It's a coping mechanism.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, so fests and is Danish for the celebration.
Speaker 6: How do you know all this off the top of your skorn?
Speaker 2: I have I have?
Speaker 6: Have you been googling? I saw your hands under the table and I assumed you were doing something else.
Speaker 1: Derek called the celebration, so it so there's some sort of celebration.
Speaker 6: I take it, well, this is the Christmas. I think it's Christmas that we're all the family are together and they're all staying in the old house. But because it's a Dogma film, it's made with I can't remember what the tenants were the Dogma film.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so the Dogma films were these Danish filmmakers. You've got together and said, okay, we're going to make with natural light, natural sound, natural sound, basically taking away all the elements, so skeleton crew.
Speaker 6: And no makeup. I think it was natural makeup.
Speaker 1: And even the scripts were like like basically blueprints as far as you know, like loose blueprints.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure if there was like a this is how it read. There's a feel like.
Speaker 6: It feels like that, it feels like there's a lot of improvisation in it. And we saw one or the other. I think there were there might be more.
Speaker 2: One of my extreme versions is Dogville, which is Nicole Kimmen.
Speaker 6: Was Dogville Dogma a Dogma film.
Speaker 2: Class Entry and that was basically on a stage.
Speaker 6: It was like, yeah, I couldn't watch it and you watch walking from a room to room and the rooms were taped out on the floor.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, but it was actually it was. It was really good. I mean, you need the patience.
Speaker 6: For it, correct. I see, I'm very as a girlfriend of mine sees attention span of a gnat very modern of me that I find it. I get very distracted. And the national you know, GNA jerrych will send it through and that is a lucast like creature.
Speaker 2: So so yeah, so they are the Dogma films.
Speaker 6: Yes, and so I think the reason that, I mean, why is a film a favorite film? But Peter and I had seen another one called The Retards. I think it was called The rethearts very Scandinavian, so Scandinavian. It was about a bunch of like students who would go around pretending that they had various physical or mental afflictions. It was strange, didn't make it on my favorite least, but we were so there was something about the rawness of it. And also that's quite a scandalous.
Speaker 2: One of my favorite stories and Judith Lucy is that her father used to pretend to get into the footy for free. Did that come up?
Speaker 1: Was that one of the characters, was that one of the characters.
Speaker 6: Well, you can't make some shit up, that's right, that's right anyway. So and then after that we saw fest and and then and it's become like a you known't think how things into the lexicon of your relationship life or whatever that Peter I'll sometimes we'll say about something it was a real fest and oh it was a real fest and gathering. And we know straight away what we mean. Song's the revelation of the child coppying it. But child is grown up, by the way, I don't want to spoiler alert. It's twenty five years old, okay, you know, but it was it's just there was some intensity. Of course, of course.
Speaker 1: The third film is also moving on to my well, I always say my two favorite film or my favorite film is Godfather one and two. I kind of put them together, even though I would probably have part two a smidge ahead of the first one.
Speaker 6: But the mind they're actually blurred. Now that you say that.
Speaker 1: What's interesting talking to somebody about Godfather Part three and it's Godfather Part three, which is often derided and unfairly.
Speaker 2: It's a really good film.
Speaker 6: It might not if you've seen the other two, Well.
Speaker 2: It just doesn't compare.
Speaker 1: It's just not in this in the conversation Very few films are in the conversation of this could be the greatest film ever made. Godfather's Part one and two are god Father Part three, isn't that's you know.
Speaker 6: Old Sophia didn't she did? And didn't she go on to have the last laugh?
Speaker 1: She did, got behind the camera, turned it around. But it's got one of the most famous quotable lines or Godfather movies, which I think some people often forget this Godfather Part three, which is every time I think I'm out, they you know they d yeah, which is yeah. I often think I often forget that that's Part three.
Speaker 6: Well, I didn't even remember that lines. So yeah, you had me there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So what do you love about Godfather?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 6: Well, we watched it again when we were living in Italy last year. Of course we went to when we went down south to Sicily, we went through Godfather Country. It's such a remarkable It does all those things that a great film does. The music is magnificent, the cast is extraordinary, to the point where they're almost not like actors. The setting is sublime. They've constructed a world that you are immediately immersed in, and they've created it with such confidence. You know, it's like watching a stand up on stage. You know. If they're not confident, it's the worst thing because you don't feel safe.
Speaker 1: I always talk about films about feeling like you are in safe hands, and sometimes it happens really early, like what you caching in some dance kid. I watch it for the first time for this podcast did You Yeah? With Bob Murphy, and the first the opening frame, I'm just like, I.
Speaker 2: Think, I love this movie. And sometimes it.
Speaker 1: Can happen, you know, at the end of act one, or at some point maybe happens later in the film, but I feel at some point that I love that moment where you're kind of go, I'm watching a great film.
Speaker 6: That you can totally surrender to it because, like you said, you're in safe hands. So we've got Godfather. It was. It was like that. It was so transporting, it was so brave.
Speaker 1: The opening scene being then extraordinary like long sequence at the at the communion, the wedding sorry, and the light Marlon Brando so dark that yes, you.
Speaker 6: Know, these cheeks full of cotton, wool.
Speaker 2: Cotton and the real cream or whatever that was. It was.
Speaker 6: It was so luxuriant, like they really not only could we trust them as filmmakers, but they trusted us as the audience to go just go with it. It's really Look, I've got goose bumps because it's just I love it. I really really love it, and because it's about a country that I love as well, and it's a part of it's historical and it's contemporary. Yeah, because mafia now is just legitimate business in Italy. They just if you do business, it's mafia business, you know. But yet it's still got their genesis in that in the village, the village life, the tiny villages and the huge characters.
Speaker 1: And it's that beautiful journey that you see Michael go on when he doesn't not he doesn't want to be part of the family.
Speaker 2: You know, the family business. Loves his family, but it's not part of the family business. To see the corruption of Michael along the way, not just one, but in part two.
Speaker 6: It's inescapable and the heart of the movie.
Speaker 2: Always think of the saga.
Speaker 1: I think he's Freido like this, the black sheep of the family who could not quite I'm not sure if you've ever met anyone who's like famili who are in a business to get and there's this one that doesn't fit into that family. And Fredo breaks my heart every time as it does Michael's impata extraordinary.
Speaker 6: How amazing that we love the same thing.
Speaker 2: Eliah, here we go. Oh, I haven't we mentioned this before?
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm listening to the incest side of Danish cinema.
Speaker 6: Win you over, I'll win you over.
Speaker 2: Let's chat about this extraordinary movie from nineteen ninety nine, David Fincher, directed, written by Jim Old and starring Brad Pitts and Edward Norton. Did you like it?
Speaker 6: I liked the first third of it.
Speaker 2: It's interesting.
Speaker 6: I like the first third of it. I was very surprised by it. It wasn't what I was expecting.
Speaker 2: Did you think it was about men just punching each other and didn't have all those other themes?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I didn't know that. It got all being John Malkovich, you know.
Speaker 2: So did you know about the twist at all?
Speaker 6: I didn't know. And that wasn't a twist. It was just stupid. It didn't even make sense to me. By that stage. I was quite weary because I'm like, but what it wasn't like that Bruce Willis film.
Speaker 2: Well, both these films come out in the same year, did they? Yes? So nineteen nine nine ordinary year?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was usual. Suspects also comes out that year, right, Crying Game comes out. I think maybe that was a twist you found out when you watch it with your.
Speaker 6: Kids, they found out. Yeah, So, I like, I loved the first third. I thought that they tried to do too much with it and in the and this often I think this is often a thing in films for me, just tell a story. It doesn't need to be it doesn't need to be so complicated. Like the premise of what they had was so interesting to me and exciting and.
Speaker 2: And it's call or when you say the premise excited you, Oh, just simply the idea that men disenfranchised men to feel something, need to hit each other feel something.
Speaker 6: Yes, and that they started this this underworld world, and that it spread, you know, and that suddenly there were all these clubs doing it. I love that, and I loved even up to the point of his apartment exploding, like that was all fascinating. But then it felt like as a writer, and this is a terrible thing to say, you know, about an accomplished and respected writer, but it feels like they just got oh I know, let's make them the same person. They're the shame person.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 6: I fucking love it, man, I fucking love it. You know. It was just too much for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean there are a lot of ideas.
Speaker 2: It's a very busy.
Speaker 6: Yes, they need to cut the fuck down, you know, they needed to go to fight club and have some of that bullshit pummeled out of them because it was too much. But to a certain point, I really really really liked it, well than I thought I would.
Speaker 2: I probably enjoyed the final act more so than the first third.
Speaker 9: If you like, when he's looking for him, Yeah, yeah, and I like the way because you can see that, you know, like the twist is the twist that Tyler Durdon is basically, you know, the invisible friend of Edward Norton, the narrator.
Speaker 2: Well, it's called Edward Norton.
Speaker 6: Yeah, because I didn't know his name.
Speaker 2: No what, there's kind of that pose gexture of what his name is.
Speaker 1: He's either the narrator or Jack, because he often says I'm Jack's you know.
Speaker 5: I am Jack's medulla oblongado, I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that kind of annoyed me, I must say.
Speaker 1: I was like, is this like an American phrase at the time, like don't have a cowman type beware?
Speaker 2: They were supposed to it hasn't aged.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, right, and I've read I think Edward Norton believes that the character's name is Jack.
Speaker 2: So I'm going to did they.
Speaker 6: Kill Edward Norton's career that film and yet somehow make Brad Pitt's career.
Speaker 1: I don't think so, I know, I'm leading into it. Was paid seventeen and a half million or seventeen million dollars to do that film.
Speaker 6: In ninety nine.
Speaker 2: In ninety nine and then Norton.
Speaker 1: Was paid two and a half million, right, they actually wanted funny enough, Russell Crowe was one.
Speaker 2: Of the early favorites to play Tyler Diurney. Yeah, but he was.
Speaker 1: They were overruled, so Edward Norton after that, I am cheating here.
Speaker 6: I thought also Edward Norton was ed Burns. Are they easily confused? I just maybe haven't seen enough of Edward Norton.
Speaker 2: They do, they do.
Speaker 6: And I thought he was married to Christy Turlington, which at one point in the film when I got a bit bored star.
Speaker 1: So after a fight cup he makes a film with Ben Steeler and Jenna Elfman called Keeping the Faith, which is a kind of romantic. It's quite a nice film. Actually, it's a romantic triangle between Ben Stiller and they would not know who one's a rabbi, one's a priest and like a child friend of theirs, and.
Speaker 6: Jenna Elfman, as we know as a scientologist.
Speaker 10: Yes, yeah, so that was a third the Holy Trinity right there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He makes the score Death of Smoochy with Williams, which cooked Cooked.
Speaker 6: We're just stumbled onto something here. That movie killed.
Speaker 2: Him, Yeah, because for a while that he makes a film.
Speaker 1: He makes The Illusionists, which was pretty good in two thousand and six, becomes The Hulk not long after in two thousand and eight. Yeah, because before he made Fight Club.
Speaker 2: Things going pretty well. So he's made Primal Fear was I think his first film is his film debut was Primal Fear, which was so a big twist movie. That was ninety six. Then he makes American History X, which was yes, yes, yeah, and then it's Rounders, which was quite big as well. And then and then It's a Fight Cool it killed.
Speaker 6: Him Stone, Motherless Deed, okay, ken.
Speaker 2: Maybe it was coming off seven, which was oh yeah.
Speaker 6: What did he do? What did Brad Pitt do after that? Because it was one of the things that struck me in the film was how over art directed Brad Pitt was. But then when I came across the twist, I'm like, I can I under Maybe it was. It was obviously a deliberate thing, but I hate that over art direction thing that you often see in American movies.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes it was. I mean it was very extremely stylised.
Speaker 1: So Brad Pitt leading into this has made movies like seven twelve Monkeys, which is great. Terry Gilliam, Sleepers The Devil's Zone, didn't we work seven years in Tibet, meet Joe Black and then so to get to your point, then he makes After Fight Club, he makes Snatch.
Speaker 6: With Madonna's husband, Yes, guy Richie.
Speaker 1: And then he has a miss set with the Mexican where they thought, let's put Brad Pitt and Julia Robbins together.
Speaker 2: I could go wrong.
Speaker 1: I think James Feni's in that film as well, Memory Spy Game with Robert Redford. And then it's Oceans eleven, Yes, and you.
Speaker 2: Know there's some missus here. There's Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, which is directed by George Clooney, and that didn't really work. Troy. He makes with Eric Banner and Rose Burn, big movie, Bit of.
Speaker 9: A Fly, but he's failing upwards.
Speaker 2: Paychecks still going up. He's made more Oceans movie, Mister and Missus, Smith, evangel and Jolie, which changed history, change.
Speaker 6: History, personal and movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But like he has what he has done, he's been able to still make great films. In Glorious Bastard's burn after reading Moneyball.
Speaker 6: Okay, riddle me this, because there was a point at which you know, how people say, oh, I can't unsee something. I had a moment of that with Brad Pitt.
Speaker 2: Yes, you made a very strong statement early.
Speaker 11: I did.
Speaker 6: I did. And he's to my mind, like a pretty girl in Hollywood films who's learned a lot along the way. It's not that he has never had good performances, but there was a moment in which I saw the essential truth of Brad Pitt as an artist. And from that point on I wish I'd never seen it because I just couldn't. Now all I see is his tricks is whatever he's you know, birdshit hair, where he's getting his hair tipped blonde. I'm like, calm the fuck down, mate, be an actor, you know, not a cover boys such a cover boy. But eating in movies, the constant eating because he can't just have nothing, the slightly slap five.
Speaker 1: Vince Vaughn does that a lot, and its Vaughn often eats in movies where it's like why are you eating?
Speaker 2: Mane?
Speaker 6: Because they can't do nothing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So it's often acting to have something in your Some actors do love having things in their hands, and it's eating something is a great way to take your mind off. Yes, what the lines, and you know the delivery of lines.
Speaker 6: At one point in that movie in Fight Club, Brad Pete eats on the telephone and you don't even see him or you hear is his voice on the telephone calling Edward Norton at a public payphone. Edward Norton answers, and my husband went, is he eating? It's actually eating? Hello?
Speaker 2: Who's this?
Speaker 4: Who?
Speaker 5: We were met on the airplane. We have the same suitcase, the claveror go.
Speaker 6: He's going, I got carl ya are we meet me at? Because he is such a hollow man as an actor.
Speaker 2: Okay, I can pletely disagree.
Speaker 6: I love that you do, but I haven't told you the.
Speaker 2: Jump the Shark. If you want to hear that I do.
Speaker 6: I do, And you need to tell me at what point in his filmography what's it called? Yah filmography that he made the movie Meet Joe Black?
Speaker 2: Well, Meet Joe Black came before before. That was nineteen ninety eight, so he's made that a year before Fight Club.
Speaker 6: I wish i'd never seen that film, because there's a film. Have you seen Meet Joe Black?
Speaker 2: I've seen it, and I don't have a great reaching Hopkins.
Speaker 6: But do you remember there was a scene where he was eating peanut but of course he was eating where he's eating peanut butter, and I think he's supposed to never have eaten it before. I can't remember why that would be. What was my met Joe Black about? Anyway?
Speaker 9: Whatever's death, wasn't it all?
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's had a twist, how to twist anyway? So he's eating peanut butter and he's never he's supposed to I think never have eaten it before, if I remember correctly. There's something about the peanut butter. And it was watching him do that and trying to act whatever he was supposed to be conveying, and it was so terrible. There should be another word for it. It was such bad acting that I was astounded that it got to the big screen. I was astounded. And then the veil was lifted from him and it was like the Wizard of Oz and there's just an old guy behind a curtain. And when I see Brad Pitt now it's very hard for me not to say I don't enjoy him. When they played his strengths, like you know, mister Missus Smith or whatever, fantastic, not enough of him and him and Angelina Jolie together in that film, by the way, But he's just so so he's such a limited actor that he is a distraction for me in most films.
Speaker 1: So my take on Brad Pitt is that he is like a genuine movie star. Yes, And I think and I think if you're a judge him, like I think, it's hard to judge him up against someone like a Paul GAMARTI.
Speaker 6: Or you know, yeah, because he's not an actor.
Speaker 2: He's not a character actor as such.
Speaker 1: But I think he does a pretty good fist of disappearing into roles considering how extraordinarily good looking that man is.
Speaker 2: Like I'm not sure if you saw a film on Louise and we.
Speaker 1: We telled Alex Edelman about that, and it is just both of us are just like wow. I mean, it's Paul Newman and Robert Redford at the height it is.
Speaker 6: And that's why I said he reminds me of a pretty girl in hollyod would Yes, because but because he's a guy, he's allowed to have a longer lifespan than a pretty girl because, as you know, there's an age at which a pretty girl's petals drop off.
Speaker 2: It's a very interesting point.
Speaker 1: Who is the prettiest girl who's operating now at the older age, who's been able to break through because Angelina Jolie and whether it's some people decide to what you know, we don't know, if it's how much he's walking away raising a family or getting behind a camera.
Speaker 6: I think we do. I think I'm a woman, I know, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: So Angela's Jolie is kind of slowed.
Speaker 6: Up, but she's more powerful than a pretty girl. I wouldn't though her beauty is phenomenal once in a lifetime beauty.
Speaker 2: Cameron Dia is kind of basically it was.
Speaker 10: Almost retired, Meg Ryan gone, Julia Roberts still there but not making the not the banner name, yeah no, but George Clooney and Brad Pitt.
Speaker 6: But also I find her a really good actor.
Speaker 4: She is.
Speaker 6: I find her a really good actor. So once again, not not kind of pretty girl, not just cast to be pretty girl.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, I mean, I mean my point.
Speaker 6: Is sort of a bluarry one. I've only had two days to formulate it.
Speaker 1: Well, this is the podcast about people processing a film that just watched. Yes, you may feel differently about I mean literally, I saw a fighter when it came out in cinemas and I feel different, changed one last night. Yes, yes, twenty two years later, right, So twenty two years in terms of you will come back and.
Speaker 2: Find out how you feel about fight cler Wow, people, that.
Speaker 6: Is interesting, isn't it.
Speaker 2: You'll do it. But I.
Speaker 1: Think as for a movie star and for somebody who looks the way he does, I think anyone who's got extraordinary you know, physical beauty, who can actually disappear into roles is extraordinary.
Speaker 6: And I think so he doesn't disappear for me over over.
Speaker 1: When I see I've seen a lot of Brad Pitt movies, and I said when I saw Twelve Monkeys when it came out, I said to my friend on community radio, I said, trust me, Brad Pitt is going to be one of the And he was just basically tabloid fodder. He was on the front cover of all the teenage magazines, so he was not considered.
Speaker 2: I know, he was just a pretty face.
Speaker 1: Yes, And I said, trust me, Brad Pitt would be one of the great actors of our generation.
Speaker 6: And you were wrong.
Speaker 2: Fuck you, Lang Rock. I actuly believe. And if you see movies like Fury and you know inglorious bartist Burn after reading he's hilarious in that, like that's his as a Coen Brothers film with George Clooney, Tilda Swinton, Brad Pitt.
Speaker 6: He's oh and he did that movie, that guy Ritchie movie where you couldn't understand him.
Speaker 1: Yes, straight after the assassination of Jesse James. But the caw Robert Ford his extraordinary.
Speaker 6: Him too harsh on him. But he's got certain things that great actors can do that he can't do. And for me, with my one year at acting school, yes, I think I recognize them because they were things that I found hard to do. He can't laugh on screen. If you go back and watch Fight, come, I'm not going to make you watch it again.
Speaker 10: I mean, I have no power whatever.
Speaker 6: He's terrible fate laughing. He does it many times in that film.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when he's being beaten. Is that one of the ones?
Speaker 6: Yeah, he doesn't. He actually does. He's got a terrible in acting. It's much. This is one of the bitter ironies of the fact that Academy Awards have never given to comedies because it's much easier to go as an actor to the place of and tears and pain than it is to go to levity and buoyancy. Jennifer Aniston phenomenally underrated because the whole point of the comedy is you make it look easy, and so then I think people make the mistake of thinking it is easy. But so when you're watching a really good actor, they can convey, they can laugh on screen, and you believe it. When Brad Pitt laughs on screen, it's horrendous, horrendous, and I'm just like, mate, well he just makes this loud braying sound like just that ironically makes me laugh anyway, that's just for me one of his I find him just so limited, but I'm not without scope. I mean, I respect him for the fact that he hasn't made easy choices.
Speaker 1: No, and he's also from an artist's point of view, not just as an actor, as a producer. He's a production covery, which I think probably costs him money. Like I don't think Plan B he started with, honest, that's.
Speaker 6: Right, and in the divorce he brought her out and of course the ironies romantically, she had to find a plan be because her houseband rapped off.
Speaker 1: Maybe it was a plane a lot, maybe it was the Plan A. Maybe it was but yeah, I am team Brad.
Speaker 6: Pitt, so team Brown.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I, like I said, I had low expectations when he started out, and he's exceeded my expectations.
Speaker 6: I had didn't have low expectations because he was so phenomenal in Thelma and the Ways. Yeah, and even.
Speaker 2: Though it was seven, he's so good.
Speaker 6: So he's good in seven. He's good in seven. Not as good as Gwyne's Head in the Box.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, well, we can't go too bar into seven because we should get back to the fight club. But money Ball is another one worth checking out. He's really good and more contained I think in that. Okay, let's move on. I will say this about Brad Pitt's wardrobe in this. For someone who's anti capitalist, he is sharply.
Speaker 6: Correct, too sharply. But then you realize he's in a construct.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So it's actually because I was thinking about that during the film and then I thought, henk, of course, this is Edward Norton's how he's projecting and he would like to be and how he would like to dress.
Speaker 6: Even the name is like such a it's a great name. It's a great name. It's almost too great a name. But when you realize who he is, it makes sense that the name is so great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like, what do you think of the support groups at the start? I enjoyed those.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of I think one of the themes of the film is basically the castration of men, and there's a lot of that going on, and you know, and the emancipation. Uh, they're basically you know, I wrote down in their emasculated consumers to begin with, and it's probably it's probably they're dead inside, dead inside their numb, but they have.
Speaker 6: Enough of a glimmer of life left inside them to know that they're missing something.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's that's a very good point.
Speaker 1: And it's I think it's Bob who kind of is the most meat life.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's amazing with with the bitch ship. Yeah, there were some big sweet titt weren't they.
Speaker 2: They really were. He was the only one allowed to fight in violation of the fight club rules with a shirt on because the reason was it was a fat suit.
Speaker 6: Oh of course, because you were you couldn't say. And also that would have changed their rating.
Speaker 2: I didn't realize because it didn't look good. No, they must have had seed.
Speaker 1: Also in the facts apparently it was very heavy and they had between.
Speaker 6: Wow, I mean it didn't look it looked good. Yeah, but I wouldn't have thought it would be that complicated.
Speaker 2: No, I mean, look at me.
Speaker 6: I've got them now.
Speaker 2: I changed shirts in the yasnylas.
Speaker 6: I did love I love that. I love that. It was a good idea. It was a great idea that people would go to support groups.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I feel like I've seen that probably since that idea kind of explored, but it may have been the first to explore that the idea of this going to support groups with no real need such for them. But Bob said, Bob is a was a body builder, lost his his testicles through cancer, phasically cancer.
Speaker 6: Not through carelessness, carelessness.
Speaker 1: And then he's grown boobs and even his has lost its timber. It's like a feminine voice.
Speaker 6: It's a good performance actor, wasn't it he was? Is he an actor?
Speaker 2: But he's done something. He was in a rocky horror picture show.
Speaker 1: Oh that's right, But that was a very different perform performance.
Speaker 2: Then this is more nuanced.
Speaker 1: But yeah, there's a lot of there's a lot of castration going on, you know, as let's talk about you know, men rapid has that line, I told them when he's in the bars, and we're a generation raised by women, I'm not sure another woman is what we need.
Speaker 6: Yes, Yes, which is very interesting and reminded me of an article I read the other day about you know, all this talk about toxic masculinity and there's never been more women involved in in boys' lives. Every school teacher is a woman. In the media, it's dominated now by women. There's a lot of women around doctors and la la, and possibly toxic masculinity comes from not enough men rather than It was very interesting. You know, sometimes you read something and it changes your mind. I was reminded. I thought of it a lot during that film because that was that was very It was like a prophecy that film, wasn't it.
Speaker 1: I think like if you look at today, like this film feels almost more relevant today, even though this is all pre social media. We have all this, you know, but the idea this is a generator. Damien Power we spoke. It was one of his favorite films, and he made a really good point, you know, because diversity always comes up, you know as we chat. This is a very white film, but he said it's important that it's white because these are these are the haves in a way, like these are not the These groups of men are not the have nots.
Speaker 2: That's not the point. These these like you have everything you need and you want, and it's still not enough. Yeah, you know, there's there's that line where they say, you know, we have no we have no war. Bro Pitt says.
Speaker 1: I told her there's we have no war, we have no great depression, how great depressions? Nothing they've got even nothing to fight for.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, I think, you know, really interesting, which comes up a lot now in conversations about like mental health for me in particular or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I don't think let's just say, a white man in Australia, what really do you have to complain about it? And even if you broaden it out just to kind of the society. We are so lucky in this country. Yes, we don't know how lucky we are. We tend to escape. We escaped the global financial crisis, We've escaped other pandemics.
Speaker 6: We're putting this stuff on the computer for you.
Speaker 2: It's really we escape. We escape pandemics.
Speaker 1: SARS didn't really come to us, and I think with COVID I think we all thought we were again we will, you know, we'll catch a wave out of here before it before it strives, and it didn't. So I think it's come as as a shark and lot of people haven't known how to respond to it. But I just feel like, you know, when people start talking about segregation, when they're talking about vaccines.
Speaker 2: Yes, you don't know what that actually means.
Speaker 1: Like being being told you can't dine at a pub for maybe six weeks.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well not in Victoria, not six weeks.
Speaker 1: And I'm not necessarily wanting to open that up up that can of worms, and everyone is entitled.
Speaker 2: I sometimes wonder.
Speaker 6: If people are looking for looking.
Speaker 2: Things to rally against them and now listen, if you're.
Speaker 6: Well, I tell you what this is, really given something people something to rally against, because it's been an amazingly un Australian happening, Do you know what I mean? Like for suddenly mandates and blah blah and dad are and show your passport and your ID and your thing and people writing and tanks in the street of Melbourne and helicopters flying like that's.
Speaker 2: Really it's full on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I can understand you're saying it's un Australian. I'll also make the point though, it's just something we have never seen. It's you know, the last pandemic was over one hundred years ago, and it's you do need to do something about it. Like the people aren't, you know, aren't going to fix this themselves. Now, you know, people have really like these days, they want to say I'm left or I'm right, or I'm I belong to this group and not that group. But if you tie yourself whole heart, like one hundred percent to any ideology, I think it's going to come back and bite you on the ass. Like this, this group basically becomes the Project Mayhem is launched, and it's all very exciting. It's you know, it's started by men just wanting to feel something, and then they.
Speaker 6: Start the anarchy of us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then.
Speaker 1: Tyler Durden takes all the principles of Project Mayhem, repackages it and sells it back to them. So all of a sudden, they're all dressing the same. They shaved their heads.
Speaker 6: The change about when that guy his name was, what was his name.
Speaker 2: Let's have a listen to that. His name was Robert Paulson that's right.
Speaker 5: This is a man and he has a name, and it's Robert Paulson.
Speaker 11: In death, a member of Project Mayhem has a name. His name is Robert Paulson. His name is Robert paul His name is Robert Paulson. His name is Robert Paulson.
Speaker 3: Come is Robert.
Speaker 10: Robert.
Speaker 1: So it become like copies of copies of copies as they've kind of rallying against you mentioned earlier, this idea. They've set up franchises of these fight clubs around the country.
Speaker 6: When I love that when he would be somewhere and he'd get the wink.
Speaker 2: That I love that. That's what I really loved about that last third.
Speaker 1: That's like the you know, like the waiter and when he when he she orders the clam.
Speaker 2: Chowder and and he checks that it's it's safe.
Speaker 1: Is basically they e the piste in it all.
Speaker 6: Thank you so many advice against the leader heating the clam.
Speaker 2: Chart, cancel the clam chat.
Speaker 10: Is.
Speaker 2: You know it is so good. But this this hobby has now become this kind of cult.
Speaker 6: And it's a runaway cult.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's it's it's exploding. And that one of the things the early things they did with the you know, the Project Mayhem was to that, and I really loved that the Two Birds of One steing where they had to destroy a piece of corporate art and a franchise coffee shop at the same time. So they get that ball rolling.
Speaker 1: Into the coffee shop which isn't Starbucks but Startbucks. There's a couple of Starbucks apparently in every scene that can be spotted, and Starbucks allowed it to happen, but they didn't want the ball to be rolling into a Starbucks. They drew the line there, so it's a generic made.
Speaker 6: Up Starbucks allowed it to be happened.
Speaker 1: You still need you still need because it's a copyright. You still to go and get per mission for this thing.
Speaker 6: Really Yeah, but they wouldn't have been it wouldn't have been like they didn't pay to have their products.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think it's product placement as such. They just from understand they allowed it. I'm not sure if Game of Thrones allowed the Starbucks coffee cup to be the same. Game of Thron there was a famous mistake where.
Speaker 6: There was that coffee an extra I know it's on.
Speaker 2: It's on the table. These characters are having this big scene, there's a coffee.
Speaker 1: But yeah, and the irony of that is it goes into this franchise, you know, coffee, and then it's five clubs becoming a franchise in itself.
Speaker 6: I mean, I'd love to be I've always wanted to be in a club, Yeah, but like the Groucho Marx thing, not in a club that would have me as a member, you know. Like I love the thought of a secret world. I love the thought of like going in somewhere and there's a secret hand shake, or that people are just like that you know something that no one else knows. Yeah, I'd find that such an attractive premise.
Speaker 1: But isn't that to draw it back a little bit to what's going on at the moment I find, whether it's protests about lockdown or the vaccine. I think a big part of it, yes, really of the family part of a group that.
Speaker 6: You're in fight club and mate, when the coppers were flying over you in helicopters and coming at you and the head of your unions being protected now by bikis, you are in fight club. There was no doubt I understand that they had that adrenaline and that whatever and that rage. I totally understand.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure if rules one and two exists in their club though, No, well it must now well, yeah, I think they've gone.
Speaker 6: Really, they've had to go underground. I mean, if they still even exist, they're pretty well been pummeled.
Speaker 1: But again it became this thing where I think those protests, So for those of seeing who may be aware of it. In Australia, there were these protests against mandatory vexing of the building industry, and it seemed to be the first day seem to be you know, a large percentage of trades genuinely protesting. And as the days went on, as as the protest became more widespread and a bit more vile, to the point where there was urinating on the Shrine of Remembrance.
Speaker 7: That you.
Speaker 1: That it seemed to be less genuine trades all of a sudden, the high viz. Maybe we're a bit cleaner.
Speaker 6: Yeah maybe, I don't you know what, I don't know. A funny thing has happened which sort of ties back to the film. It's amazing, actually, isn't it.
Speaker 2: I thought a lot about what's going on me too.
Speaker 6: The thing that strikes me most about this whole COVID situation or the mandatory VAX thing. Is the very people who taught us not to trust the government and not to trust big Farmer are the people now going, let's run with you. Why don't you trust the government? How do you not trust big Farmer? And I'm like, but mate, you taught me. I've watched your shows over the years. I've seen the things that Firezer has done and the lawsuits. I know that the governments are capable of corruption and loving power, and you taught me that. And now you've become a little bitch acting like there's something wrong with me because I don't trust what you're telling me. Like there's been a real flip in such a short space of time that I haven't really mentally been able to get on board the if you're anti vax, you're a bad person train. I just can't get on it because I understand why people have got these reservations, because we were taught to have them by when we had a free press.
Speaker 1: There's also I think there's I know exact what you're saying, and I think there are people like Eastern Europeans, for example, I know, going to for people who are easter in your pain, who do not want to get the vaccine and and I've even just read articles and where there seems to be a theme another parts of the world as well, where there is an innate trust of government because and it's based on a very real thing, distrust of distrust the government because of the they've lived, what they've lived and lived through here in Australia. As whatever you think of our prime minister, and there's many different views out there.
Speaker 2: I'm sure I don't think he's trying to kill us. No, no, no, no, whatever you thought of the previous prime minister and the one before that.
Speaker 6: That's right, it's not specifically this one. But there is a pattern of oh look, I think there's a general sense of back to the film, a diminishment of the autonomy that people feel over their own lives. And even if you look at like Hong Kong, the protest movement in Hong Kong, all those things that we've been sold as like is this amazing? Now because we've got this facial recognition technology, you can you don't even have to stop at the pastspot thing. You can just walk through and they'll recognize you. Now, you see, when people have got something genuinely to protest about, as they do in Hong Kong. They can't because there's all those things that we were sold as being amazing, life changing. Oh you're a blood eye if you don't get on board with it, are now used actually as tools of oppression. It's quite a phenomenal happening.
Speaker 1: There's a film that's popped on the TV the other day and I watched a bit of it and it drew my attention. It's a film called Love and Other Drugs with Jake, JILLN Hall and and Hathaway. It's it's not bad, but the villain in the film is Piza. Really he is basically you know.
Speaker 6: Is he the farmer rep Yes, I've seen.
Speaker 2: That fires signage all over through it.
Speaker 6: Oh really that would have been with the permission as.
Speaker 2: Well, what they have to be, I imagine, but I'm not sure how that would have happened.
Speaker 1: I have seen it before and I didn't watch all of it, and it's largely about you know, it's about a lot of things. But you know, I'm sure most audiences just watch it for the sexual chemistry between Jake, John Hall and Hathaway.
Speaker 2: They really go for it.
Speaker 1: But I can't forget even where it ends up. But certainly Fires is not painted in a good in a fluttering light.
Speaker 6: Well, they never have been, no, no, Which is not to say that pharmaceutical companies haven't done amazing things. We know they have. But we also know that if you ever want to know the truth of a situation, follow the money, and at the moment the money leads to Phizer or these farmer companies that suddenly who's done well out of the pandemic? Jeff Bezos, Jerry Harvey, Jerry Dan Murphy's, Dan Dan Murphy's and Firesa Yeah, top four hundred Forbes company.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm glad fires I came up with a vaccine. I'll put that out there as I'm glad the Asseneka because I'm not sure if might A ten would have.
Speaker 2: Got there exactly.
Speaker 6: And I think you're right, But I'm also like, even then things have like the trashing of a Z or whatever, which is you know we were talking about on the project that that's four dollars a dose. The fireser is twenty dollars a dose. Who trashed a Z? Like you don't hear anything about the myocarditist that fires are causes in Like, there's two kids from one of my son's school in hospital, young men who have got that. You don't hear anything about that, but you heard all about the blood clots from az Of whose benefit is it? Just do the clock talk? Like I just don't. I just think it's it's almost too much to stay aware, like the people in that film, it's too much to and stay on top of everything. And they didn't even have mobile phones in that film.
Speaker 2: No, well, this is this is this is pre social media.
Speaker 6: This is pre Twitter's, pre Instagram's, pre Facebook, I think, and it is amazing. It feels so contemporary despite.
Speaker 1: But I think because I think one of the points they're making is a really simple point is that whether you hit yourself to a capitalist society or a fascist society, you are.
Speaker 2: Just a number.
Speaker 1: So you are you're either something to be sold to yeah yeah, or you're something to live under. You know, you are living under a dictator, or you are living under the oppression of consumerism.
Speaker 6: And when the capitalism becomes the fascism or the communism becomes the fascism, where do humans turn. They go to fight club.
Speaker 2: They go to fight club. And then and but then fight club kind of starts, Yeah.
Speaker 6: To become betraying itself, to become the thing that it hated.
Speaker 1: Even the entry exam if you like, or the initiation is to stand outside, to be isolated outside when all you're wanting is connection.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and that you call people sir, yes, but sir yeah.
Speaker 2: So it's it's they become like a parody.
Speaker 6: Of what they actually he's anyone. Have you ever had a fight.
Speaker 1: There was one fight when I was younger outside of a pub with with that with you. Yeah, but to be honest, the punch that he landed on me, yeah, and the punch I landed on him. You know where Ed Norton goes to hit brad Pitt.
Speaker 2: You want me to do you just want me to.
Speaker 7: Hit you one fair? Why?
Speaker 4: Why?
Speaker 2: I don't know why. I don't know. Never been a fight, you.
Speaker 6: Know, but that's a good thing.
Speaker 3: Like in the base, surprise me, mother fuck hit me in the ear.
Speaker 5: Well, jesus, I'm sorry, I sucked it up.
Speaker 1: Oh that was perfect directly actually went up to him and David, he just said him and hit him in the ear. So Bradbit did not know that was coming, So yes, he was. He was told to hit him, mishit him and hit him in the air. Not sore why he was supposed to hit him. It was just a couple of the draw or whether he wasn't even going to hit him or not. But yes, there you go.
Speaker 6: I did love as well when Ed Norton would go into work because he was just he was such a wage monkey. When he began to assert himself in the workplace before he even stepped to his boss. I just meant when he went in and you saw that his posture was different, he was with his black eye. I just love the thought of going into just such a conventional workplace where you know, we're all sheeple, aren't we, where suddenly you feel like you're not one of the sheeple sitting there with your black eye.
Speaker 1: Well, it's and that was one of the seeds of this entire movie. So the author, the author of the book, I'm going to that.
Speaker 2: Chack, Chuck.
Speaker 1: Palank I don't know how to say it. Sometimes of authors you see the name written actually here, but Palagyuk. He went camping with some friends and there were some people in the nearby campsite who the music was being played too loud, so he went over to ask him to turn it down. They did not take kindly to that. They got into a fight. He was beaten up, and then the next day or the monday after, he went to work with all these sketches and bruises over him, and nobody asked him.
Speaker 6: What happened because they were too like, it's to there be monsters.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they just also did not want that connection. They just wanted to, you know, pretend it wasn't happening, do their own thing. Yeah, so that was the first seed of the movie.
Speaker 6: You know, you said that it was like when you got into the fight outside the pub years ago, which which who were you in the scenario? Were you the ear puncher? Did you get so?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Sorry, both punches were.
Speaker 6: Ear punch average. Yeah, right, so neither of.
Speaker 2: You already hit the ground.
Speaker 1: It's one of those ones where we're very relieved that our friends came up to save Ego and it's it's and I can't even tell you many years later, twenty eight years later, probably how it started while we were there outside of party.
Speaker 6: Lead up, the lead up outside the part is probably the clue, Yes, exactly, it was. It's always drunkenness it's always drunk.
Speaker 1: It's it's silly. I'm not a fighter by nation, Oh not at all. Yes, And as a father of three boys, it kind of that memory almost terrifies me, even somebody.
Speaker 2: Who I very rarely.
Speaker 1: My blood boils very seldomly, and for that to happen, I'm like, Okay, just remember that can happen to anyone.
Speaker 6: That's interesting because I have three boys as well, I've never thought about teaching them about fighting or not fighting. You know, you must have to have a conversation with boys about I.
Speaker 1: Was talking about about walking away. You never know what the other person either has on them.
Speaker 6: What their intentions are, what the state of mind in.
Speaker 2: The mind is. So you know, and this is I got into my fight before the rise. It's seemingly of knives and ice, ice and also mobile phones where let's film, Yeah, right, let's fight.
Speaker 6: So otherwise you could have made fight class.
Speaker 2: I would have broken all the rules. I want to take my shirt off.
Speaker 6: You would have been meat life.
Speaker 2: Did you realize you.
Speaker 1: Said you knew that going in about the rule. Yes, I'd even forgotten how many rules they were in my mind. It kind of ended after it was a therofessional of fight club, don't talk about five Club. The second rule of fight club you don't talk about fight club. It turns out there's eight rules.
Speaker 6: I can't remember any of them.
Speaker 2: Oh I hang on, I'll remind you. Right, let's fight the rules of five Club.
Speaker 3: Gentlemen, welcome to fight club.
Speaker 7: The first rule of fight club is you do not talk about fight club. Second rule of.
Speaker 3: Fight club is you do not talk about fight club.
Speaker 7: Third rule of fight club someone y else stopped, goes limped, taps out, the fight is over.
Speaker 3: Fourth rule, only two guys to fight.
Speaker 7: Fifth rule, one fight at a time fellas. Sixth rule, no shirts, no shoes, seventh rule, fights will go on as long as they have to. And the eighth and final rule, if this is your first night at fight.
Speaker 3: Club, you have to fight.
Speaker 6: That is such brilliant writing. You know what reminded me of is that William Goldman adventures in the screen Try Yes, where he writes about Maybe he doesn't write about it. I think did he did terminate it? Didn't? He was a script doctor on he did.
Speaker 2: He did a lot of script doctrine. He did Cashi to some dance, also did the Princess Bride.
Speaker 6: I think it was the Terminator where they he became like a sort of a not a joke, but a legend in screenwriting circles because he got five hundred thousand dollars a word for script doctor and because he wrote I'll be back right and and first rule of Fight Club is on par with that.
Speaker 2: Well, I find it extraordinary.
Speaker 1: Like sometimes when there are lines that become getting to the zi iconic, iconic lines, you think they must have been stoked when they wrote.
Speaker 2: That, Yes, how do they know? They just don't know.
Speaker 1: How do you know that I'll be back becomes because I love It's got to do with the way Arnold Schwarzenegger delivers that, the way Brad Pitt delivers this in this film.
Speaker 6: Of course. And then nothing's worse than in films when you can see they've tried to make it happen, where you can't tell that they've gone, oh, that'll be there, that'll be sticky.
Speaker 1: Well, if you think, if you think most most iconic lines in movies, they're not Oscar Wild type witticisms.
Speaker 2: They are just quite simple and it's about the moment more often than that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, but that is phenomenal. The first rule of Fight Club. I have said it myself so many times, just as you know, everyone always gets it in the room. Probably many people like me have not seen the film.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this podcast quite often, somebody's gone.
Speaker 11: Now.
Speaker 1: I understand all those Simpsons references because Simons parodied so much like Citizen Kane and The Shining for example. There's been multiple sides where they've parodied those films, and I'm sure they've done They've done Fight Club. I've got some fun facts before we wind up, Cake Laanbrook want.
Speaker 2: Some fun facts. Who doesn't want a fun fa love fun facts?
Speaker 1: Brad Pitt and Helena Helena at bottom Carter, she's greater than she's great.
Speaker 6: She's I always find her great. She's often in an entirely different production, but doing your own wardrobe like just amazing. She's kind of like the Dark Goblin, like Tilda Swinton in terms of the fact that they're just so authentic and and not retail.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, one thing I did I must say watching the film back last night, I did think I was almost shocked. And this is silly, and I'm being silly for saying it, but I'm shocked that we didn't see the twists coming.
Speaker 2: There are so many.
Speaker 1: References really well, even in that first first line the narrators is I know this because Tyler knows this. Now that's something that you don't pick up on view. But there are a whole bunch of little references that of course once you once you know what, you see it all. So that's why I say I'm being silly. You know, I'm not giving the no.
Speaker 6: But that's always a twist. When you go back and watch a film with a twist, it's like sixteens, but.
Speaker 2: It's all subtle things in sixth sense. It's almost like it is giving you a big nudge in that direction.
Speaker 6: But that wasn't your fun fact about the bottom car and.
Speaker 2: Brad Pitt recorded three days. They took the record orgasm sounds for their for their sex scenes.
Speaker 1: Oh really, yes, three days seems excessive. David Fincher is somebody who doesn't like to go from multiple takes. I feel like that might have been taken it.
Speaker 6: But they was so extreme those sounds.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, because it was supposed to be like mad mad and this is like rutting is what he believes. You know a woman once and what for a man in you need to be that, you know, full on it needed to break through the wall to be alpha. Also, the sex scene was shot in the using the same bullet time technique as the Matrix was. You know, it's funny that the same techniques use. Matrix gets all the credit because it's probably using a more interesting way. Possibly, yeah, but he was using the same technology. Helen the bottom Carter got the wardrobe and the makeup artist to apply her eye makeup with her left hand because.
Speaker 6: She thought, so it looks kind of naive and raw.
Speaker 2: Yes, nice touch.
Speaker 6: Why didn't she just apply herself?
Speaker 2: Well, because somebody she didn't do something out of the job.
Speaker 6: Nobody still had to towsle her hair and put her in those platform shoes.
Speaker 1: She was almost going to be played by Reese with a spoon. They wanted Reese with a spoon, but she was considered too young. Oh my, and she thought it was too dark and actually knocked it back. Wow, imagine legally blonde.
Speaker 6: But it's funny because in her body of what she's increasingly allows herself to be dark. It's not dark like Bottom Carter. It's it's kind of a twist on the girl next door dark.
Speaker 1: Yes, she's not that she's really reaching the more interesting places the older she gets.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 1: Roseo o'donald gave basically saw the film, was disturbed by it, and basically told her audience she had the daytime show. I think at the time I told her audience not to see it and gave away the ending, just.
Speaker 6: To really put a bow on it. Yes, why would she be disturbed by it?
Speaker 1: It's I guess a lot of people do find it really full on. The violence is full on. And if you then if you don't go along.
Speaker 2: With the premisil premise of it. I guess right. I said I the first time I saw it, and even the second time I saw it, I was a bit respected it. I never walk away.
Speaker 1: I respect the ambition of the films, even if they're not as ambitious as this.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, yes, yes, And I love you know what I love. I love an idea. I don't have to agree with an idea, but I love someone having an idea that and that film is definitely an idea. And it's an idea that has not dated. No, it's in fact, it was like it was prophetic.
Speaker 1: The David Fincher also mess speaking of other actresses with Julia Louis Dreyfuss.
Speaker 2: Yes, so this is as.
Speaker 1: She's filming Seinfeld. So she's filming Seinfeld, she meets you, David Fincher, she doesn't. David Fincher gets the impression she has no idea who he is, even though he's directed Seven and the Game. He says, as if she wouldn't know, well, you would think the bad management.
Speaker 6: No, no, she would totally know. She's got so culturally.
Speaker 1: Might have been some miscommunication. And he said he felt like a fucking loser in his works.
Speaker 6: Really that was personal, got personal personal.
Speaker 1: Tyler Dirdon appears in five scenes very quickly before we see him. We first see him on the escalator, I think at.
Speaker 6: The oh yes, at the airport.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, But he appears five times before that, very quickly. It's blinking. You'll miss it.
Speaker 1: If you don't belink, you don't miss it. So he's at the photo copy for one twenty fourth of a second. Oh, he's in the hallway of the doctor's office. He's at the testicular testicular support.
Speaker 6: I think I saw him somewhere. Could I have seen him with my naked eye?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah, because he was very distinctive, and.
Speaker 1: He's behind Edward Norton when Marlin leaves the one of the meetings, and he's also on the video on the far right when the narrator it was not checks into the hotel.
Speaker 6: No, I wonder I was so confused. I was confused for the last two to that film. I was very confused. You know what, I just realized another clue when Edward Noughton says to him on the plane, Oh, look, we've got the same briefcase. Yes, and I thought there was going to be some briefcase mix up. But of course, yeah, I thought there was going to be that he was going to get the briefcase home. I forgot that. I thought that, and that never happened. But that was obviously a clue. Maybe it feels a bit retro fitted that they needed to put more clues in along the way.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I do find it really fascinating, Like what Than the Raider does for a living, So he attends crash sites and works out, Yeah, basically, so it does make sense that he's had this awakening, even though you don't notice.
Speaker 2: You see the moment, you see the apartment exploding. You're working on what that means later on.
Speaker 1: But he's had this awakening of like basically, and he tells that woman on the plane that what I do like that the company won't do a recall if it's not going to be effective, despite knowing that hundreds might die. So I like that they put him in a job where its.
Speaker 6: Ways raised his consciousness. Yes, is that a fun fact?
Speaker 1: I mean some of the fun facts. I mean, Daddy, I think the fun fades more are facts some of us.
Speaker 2: Some are just facts creep into the fun facts.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I can.
Speaker 2: It's the detectives.
Speaker 1: He tried to car straight Edward Norton Detectives Andrew Detective Kevin and Detective Walker, named after a writer who wrote seven Andrew Kevin Walker. And he did an incredited rewrite, as did Cameron Crowe.
Speaker 6: Actually on Fine Clubs as a nod it's nice.
Speaker 2: It is nice. It is nice.
Speaker 1: And there was a line that the Fox executive freaked out when this happened, like this movie like they like it's like, didn't you read the freaking scripts? Like so when this happens, is what you thought expecting the fight or the fight stuff that you may have expected.
Speaker 2: You didn't read a script. You didn't commission this.
Speaker 1: So when they saw it and all this kind of consumerism stuff and you know, revolutions and that, they were a bit shocks. And this was also in nineteen ninety nine the Millennium Bug, which is weird now, but there was genuine anxiety around it came ye, so.
Speaker 2: They kind of freaked out.
Speaker 1: There was one line that they this is the only I think concession that David Fincher made one of the executives. There was a line that after they have sex and Marla says, O Tyler, that's what the original line was, I want to have your abortion, and that had to go to that had to go, so David Finch, David Fincher said, I will change it.
Speaker 2: But whatever I changed it to, it stays right telling. So the line that he changed it to is.
Speaker 6: I haven't been fucked like that sweets that's right, a great life.
Speaker 2: They hated it even more than like not too late, too late. I've changed and that is it.
Speaker 1: The one final note, I just want to mate is for a pretty grim film, there is there is like that sense of optimism, grimly executed optimism of the end where you can still be an individual, you can choose not to follow this group, It's never too late to get out and become the individual. When he shoots himself in the face and and therefore killing Tyler, Tyler dirt and I'm not sure how he worked that out.
Speaker 6: But he doesn't kill himself does he know?
Speaker 2: So he's still How did he do that?
Speaker 6: Did Tyler just live in the left?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 1: I'm not sure he aimed for the cheek or something, because he seems to be one signe seems to be more affected than the other.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I like the idea that you can still be an individual. Is I think, is the final message of the film?
Speaker 6: Well done?
Speaker 2: Do you think that? Do you agree?
Speaker 6: I just I think so.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: It did feel surprisingly optimistic, didn't it.
Speaker 2: It was for someone optimistic considering he just shot himself in the face.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, I assumed that he was going to die. And then suddenly when he gets up and he's like, I know, I'm fine. How was he fine?
Speaker 2: I laugh got a bit when when they're coming in. Thought that was.
Speaker 6: Amusing And little did we know that his career was not going to be fine?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, I don't think he's had a bad career, no, but.
Speaker 6: Just as we compeared earlier, the ascendancy of one career versus the other on What's Been You know, it was a huge film.
Speaker 1: Brad Pitt is a movie star. Yeah, I'm not sure if I think Norton is trapped between that character, actor and movie starting somewhere in between.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes. And also I just think the voiceover was too long.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was too long and too foot very it was very talky, and I think when I first saw it, I'm not nihilistic, I'm not particularly cynical, so a lot.
Speaker 6: Of it was just like yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, like just sort of washing over you, like a sort of dank tied.
Speaker 2: Maybe because I watched it.
Speaker 1: When I watched it with things that are going on around us, I took more in and it felt more real to me than it did twenty.
Speaker 2: Two years ago.
Speaker 6: I'm very glad I got to see it.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm glad you watched it, and I thank you for doing your homework. And I mentioned it in the in the introduction. But just one final reminder that Chow Bella is in bookstores right now. Congratulations, you have written a book. It is starting book.
Speaker 6: I've written a book that was my own personal fight club.
Speaker 1: I imagine it was so lockdown when basically at the front line of the pandemic, Italy was there for a little while.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, yeah, first place after China.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know. So your holiday, your dream holiday, your vacation.
Speaker 6: Yeah, gap years. Yeah, it was amazing. But then there was what we thought was the hard year. The first year with no pandemic was actually the great year, and in fact the pandemic year was a great year as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: All you know, we had to see the bright side. You had to find the little winds along the way. And I think spending time.
Speaker 2: Even though I've got your four kids, you're a couple uh one ahead of me on that scale.
Speaker 6: You've got three kids, You've got four Keeps and Edward Norton and your Charla Durdon and you're mad, oh my, that where they come.
Speaker 2: I think I've said that, I've said that before, made that mistake before. Maybe I do have a kid out there that I'm.
Speaker 6: Not aware of, a man easily.
Speaker 2: Course, I feel like I put that out in the world.
Speaker 6: Did you ever have sex with Helena and she said to you, I want you to father my abortion.
Speaker 2: I think I may have, and maybe she didn't. No, yes, and you know you spending time with the kids was you know, it was in a way of blessing.
Speaker 6: It was amazing. It was time that hopefully touch wood over. They're already softening, softening us up for the next pandemic, aren't they. Oh, there'll be another one there.
Speaker 2: We'll get through it together because we're together and now we know what we need to do.
Speaker 6: Just get a vaccine. We've got a new one. Fire we heaven, new run. Jake Gillenholl will sell it to you.
Speaker 1: You know, it'll be I think there'll be a lot of pivoting going on with companies might have ten, but the next pandemic might a ten will be giving it be Bunnings, not just getting jab there, but actually whoever.
Speaker 6: Whatever companies have survived, yeah, will have It's like how everyone started selling hand sanitizer and face masks.
Speaker 2: Speaking of things that have survived. I've made a booking for us to go have lunch. So let's do that.
Speaker 6: Okay. I'm not going to fuck you, Einstein. I'm just telling you that from their jump.
Speaker 2: We'll disorder. Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: You are one of my absolute faiths, Katie, and congratulations on the board.
Speaker 6: I'm so happy to be a part of this. I didn't think I had enough knowledge about films. But you have the art of making whatever people bring to the table, you make it seem like it's the greatest gift they could have brought. It's a very amazing knack you have.
Speaker 2: Well, what's is you about this podcast? I don't know.
Speaker 1: I never asked what you thought of the film before we start talking. I don't ask what your three favorite films are. And so it's it's it's not. And sometimes sometimes I'm still processing a film, so I'm still like learning and kind of taking in what my guess is telling me, and like that's still someone's influencing what I think about a film.
Speaker 6: Yeah, right, so that's what I was. And and let me just say this tonight, when you and Bridge It are watching Fester.
Speaker 2: And Fester and a Date Night, I might do a Fester and breaking the waves, double.
Speaker 6: Breaking the waves. I've just got to tell you this, I still breaking the waves with when they still had the Lumier Cinema in Melbourne, Film Lovers Cinema that, of course, the Film Lovers had the tiniest screen you've ever seen. It was before they invented iPhones. But the screen was about that size. Anyway, I went with an ex boyfriend of mine who you know, mad, a mad, brilliant creature, but mad who started views, who started yelling at the screen, Take it off, Take it off? Just what was he yelling like? That's not on? At the end when the father gets the vile father who.
Speaker 2: To be honest, the only thing I remember about her films as a large.
Speaker 1: As long as the first time i'd seen Emily Watson, I remember thinking she's extraordinary.
Speaker 6: But I Emily Watson, Yes, oh my goodness, yes, I didn't know that, and I do. Was that what's her name? Tilda Swinton postpartum with her twins.
Speaker 2: In that possibly?
Speaker 6: I think she did a scene showing her body right, because she is an extraordinary actor allowed herself to be filmed naked postpartum from having just given birth to twins.
Speaker 2: She's extraordinary.
Speaker 6: She's the opposite of Brad pitt.
Speaker 2: I I I accept what you're saying. She's extraordinary actress and artist.
Speaker 6: I think anyway, this madman that I was going out with, who starts yelling when the hideous evil father who's just done an unspeakable thing involving a baby, you just can't even conceive that you're in that anyway. So he's yelling out at the screen, and I'm like, because we're in there with film lovers. It's not like you're at you know, village on a Saturday.
Speaker 2: Night going Transformers.
Speaker 6: Yeah, exactly exactly, look though, turning to other things. And so I was like, and he said why, And I said, because because there's other people here, goes, And I still to this day don't know if he's right or not. He goes, I don't care. I've paid my money, not theirs.
Speaker 2: Well, some cinemas, if you've been through the movies in the States, very interactive, the spectator sports as.
Speaker 6: You see Queen the Teeth of film there with a largely black audience, and it was the most social thing I've witnessed to see.
Speaker 1: A comedy in a place on New York with you know, a largely like black audience. Yeah, they are the best to watch it. I saw and Adam Sandel Kevin James film. It might have been the one where they pretended to be gay to get a conversation or something.
Speaker 6: Every country's got a version of that.
Speaker 1: There's no other way of me enjoying that film than the way I experienced it, which is in New York with people watching.
Speaker 2: That you go there.
Speaker 4: That he just did that.
Speaker 2: Oh no, he didn't.
Speaker 6: I think if you as a stand up, if you had if you're American and you had a black audience, what you would leave feeling like a king, wouldn't you? They're so alive in their appreciation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, even sometimes when you're He'll be leaving a leaving a subway in New York and there was a gentleman who's the information booth and he was a mess.
Speaker 2: Theatrical, yes, yes, yes, And there's a joy that just is so infectious where we try to avoid, you know, anyone who can approaches us in Melbourne.
Speaker 1: This is just like you avoid them. I'm right, Yeah, but this guy was singing, dancing, you know, is a legend.
Speaker 2: Kate.
Speaker 1: We got booking, so let's let's go. But thank you so much for talking fight club. Hopefully we don't get in trouble.
Speaker 6: Why don't we go and have a fine Yeah.
Speaker 2: Break.
Speaker 6: One of the rules of fight club is one of the rules about no women.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, we're already broken.
Speaker 6: That's just a general Hollywood rule out you fuck fight club.
Speaker 3: Fuck Marla. I am sick of all your shit.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, what's screwing around?
Speaker 4: There?
Speaker 7: You go.
Speaker 1: They told us not to talk about fight Club as one of the rules, but we broke that rule absolutely.
Speaker 2: Kate Lainbrook. I love hanging out with Kate.
Speaker 1: She always brings fresh perspectives and surprising perspectives as well, So thanks Kate.
Speaker 2: Chow Balla is a brilliant, brilliant read.
Speaker 1: It is a perfect summer book if you if you haven't got to it, and if you're as summer begins to close out a little bit, chow Balla is her book and it's been an absolute smash hit. So Congress licens Cape
Speaker 2: And so we leave old Pete save fan sut and to our friends of the radio audience, we've been a pleasant good night.