Speaker 1: Do you ever think about how much saturated fat you consume each day? Back in the eighties and nineties, reducing your saturated fat intake was a big focal point of different diets and different hallsy eating advice, but in recent years this has been replaced by a greater focus on the low carb and high protein movement. But it's still important that we keep an eye on our saturated fat intake. So on today's episode of The Nutrition Couch, we take a closer look at saturated fat, why it's not great for us, and the foods that we eat that still contain plenty of it.
Speaker 2: Hi, I'm leanne Ward and answers you borrow and together.
Speaker 1: We bring you The Nutrition Couch, the weekly podcast that keeps you up to date on everything that you need to know in the world of nutrition, as well as saturated fat. For anyone with a family history of diabetes or who may have had gestational diabetes in pregnancy, we discuss what this means for your blood sugars moving forward. We also have a new protein bread to talk about, and our listener question is all about weight loss and the signs that you may need a lie. It all more help, but to kick us up today, Suzy, we are talking about saturated fat. It is one of the most well, let's say, one of the most debated nutrients in nutrition signs.
Speaker 2: But is it really as bad as you know we.
Speaker 1: Were once told or has it been a little bit unfairly demonized. So it's had a lot of media attention over the last i'd say a few decades. So today we're going to unpack what saturated fat is, what the research really shows is and I guess the implications of that from our food choices, because it's a very debated nutrient, isn't it.
Speaker 3: It is because I think there's been so much focus on low carb diets and even sugar going back five or ten years, and then more recently high protein, we don't talk about saturated fats specifically, and sort of it went from being all things low fat in the nineties to all about good fats. But what I notice is that the idea of convenient diet theories for you slips in and so we now just group any fat together. Oh it's good fat, but we forget that good fat really is just limited to a very small handful of foods with literally no processed foods. So for example, if you consumed each day a serving or two of extra vergin olive oil, a handful of nuts, and some oily fish, you would literally have all of the fat you required for a day. So that means very little red meat, that means very little cheese, that means low fat, reduced fat dairy foods, and that means literally no treats. But in our diet we get it wrong because in Australia we know the highest sources of saturated fat are from faty meats, dairy foods, and then discretionary foods. So this is the biscuits, the cakes, the pastries, the treats, and we all love a treatly am, But if you run your fat ratios. So it's recommended from a public health perspective for saturated fat to be less than ten percent of total calorie intake, and overseas is less than seven percent. So we're actually quite liberal. Now if we then extrapolate that bad and have a look at well a small female might need sixty maybe eighty grams of fat per day if we're aiming for equal fat ratios of saturates. Tomnos to Polly's that one to one to one fat ratio. You're looking at maximum twenty to thirty grams of saturated fat, which isn't very much like Keep in mind, if you have dairy and cheese, you're probably getting three to five grams saturated fat a serve of meat, and even sort of lena mates, even something like salmon is going to give you some saturated fat, and even olive oil will give you some. So then you're up around ten. You know, once you're going for chocolate and things like that once a day, you're easily getting to twenty grams, if not more. And that's what I think that we forget. It's still important for the health of our cell that we keep our overall in take controlled. And it made me think of this actually looking at the snap bar section of supermarkets, and we spoke about this a few weeks ago, in this increasing number of snap bars, protein bars, nut bars, musubars that have got a chocolate coating. Because to make that chocolate coating, you're either using a dairy so you're using milk fatines or in more common examples, you're using vegetable fat. They're highly saturated. So what happens is in these lower car products or in a chocolate type music bar, you can be getting five eight grams of saturated fatness single bar, and that is where your levels might be going upwards a forty to fifty per day. And if you've got sort of higher blood cholesterol levels, if you're trying to lose weight, if you've got diabetes, if you're trying to optimize your cell help, that is just way too high and saturated fat. So a quick recommendation I give to clients is we like it to be less than three percent total saturated fat. So if you look at a nutrition panel, and actually we're in the process of updating our product guide, so we're going to have that out in a month or two with our sort of top products revised. But this will make it easier for listeners. But if you're looking at the nutrition label, you want the saturated fat to be less than three percent or less than three grams per hundred but perserve of food, if something had more than say three maybe five grams saturated fat, I'd be concerned because generally in processed foods, that's way too high. And just keep in mind you've gotten twenty maximum thirty a day to play with and as soon as you're having cakes, biscuits, pastries and anything with butter, full cream dairy. Some of the yogurt cleann have got quite a lot if they're still full cream or they're adding cream into it, so it does still sneak in and I think people would be actually surprised how much they're actually having.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all the coconut based yogurts as well are quite high in saturated fat. Because you mentioned that saturated fat is predominantly found in our animal products, so our butter, our cheese, our foddy cuts of meat, but it's also in a lot of our tropical oil, so our coconut oil, our palm oil.
Speaker 2: And a big I.
Speaker 1: Guess indication of is that if that food contains saturated fat, saturated fat is solid at room temperature. So if you've ever made a dish with say mince meat or something, and then you put it in the fridge over night, Mum when we were growing up, used to always make spaghetti boone's put it in the fridge and we'd heat that up if she was working late or something in the next day. And whenever I took the lid off the mince container, it always had this like layer of fat over the top of it, and I remember Mum always saying to me, get a spoon and scoop it off. I must have only been young, but I always remember this, even growing up when I moved out of home and cook for myself. If ever I made mince and you know, the next day, I'd always scrape off the fat from the top. And I never knew it at the time, But that's the saturated fat because it's solid at room temperature, so it's a really good I guess key point for listeners to remember is that saturated fat is solid at room temperature. So if you're getting any of these bars, these low sugar, low carb, even these chocolate kind of type musically bars, the chocolate's not melting off it because there's a you know, significant amount of saturated fat in the product to keep it solid at room temperature. And it's very different to unsaturated fats, which we want more of in our diet, our olive oil, our nuts, our seeds.
Speaker 2: They're very different.
Speaker 1: They're saturated and the unsaturated fats. And where it got I guess saturated fat got quite a bat of rep was in the early you know, the sixties and seventies, and eighties. Even the early research really linked sat threaded fat to high cholesterol and heart disease.
Speaker 2: So there was a huge.
Speaker 1: I think it was like a global really not just Australia, a global public health campaign guidelines to really reduce saturated fat, saying, you know, people are getting more heart disease, they're getting high cholesterol because we're consuming too much satreaded fat. But over time what happened is people were replacing They weren't replacing sach treaded fats with more fruits and veggies and legumes, they were replacing it with refined carbohydrates. So over time, what we sort of know now on what the current research and the current meta analysis show us now is that replacing sach treaded fat with refined carbs is not a good thing for our health, and it's certainly not a good thing for our waistline or our blood sugars. But what we want to do is replace sat treaded fat with polly unsaturated fats, so those found in olive oil, fatty fish like salmon, sardines, nuts, and seeds. And we know, certainly Susie and I are always saying to our clients more of these polyunsaturated fats in our diet. Everybody wants to eat a ton of the saturated fats, the trans fats and the monos, but we're not getting in enough of these poly unsaturated fats. So saturated fat can still raise dietary cholesterol l LDL cholesterol, which is our quote unquote bad cholesterol. But it is the full dietary pattern that matters. As Susie said, if you have a very whole food based diet, if you're you know, consuming a handful of nuts, you're having olive oil on your meals, you're having lean protein veggie, you sauce the whole grains for dinner.
Speaker 2: Your meals are very very balanced.
Speaker 1: It's not really an issue if you have a little bit of saturated fat in your diet. But if you are having full green milk and all your coffees, you're having bree and the cheese platters on the weekend, You're having a couple of wines on the weekend, You're getting your pastry when you go out and get your coffee a couple of times a week, you're having the office biscuits, and then you tucking into the chocolate after dinner. This is where it's very very easy for the saturated fat intake to become a little bit too much in our diet.
Speaker 2: So it's not just the dairy.
Speaker 1: And the dairy is a funny one because the current research really shows us that it's more of.
Speaker 2: A neutral fat.
Speaker 1: So although it is still classified as a saturated fat, I don't really have an issue of my clients want to have full fat dairy. If they're hard on their coffee must being made with four cream milk.
Speaker 2: I don't have a problem with that.
Speaker 1: But I am trying to reduce the process red meats in their diet, the salami, the bacon, the chizzo. I'm trying to replace the fatty cuts of meat like the lamb chops, the you know, the fatty cuts of beef, and really swap that for leaner protein sauces. Chicken skin's another one that has a high amount of saturated fat. So often I'll say to my lady's chicken breast is fine, but I don't really want.
Speaker 2: Them consuming the skin.
Speaker 1: And often it's the coconut and the palm oils, which a lot of people don't realize are found in a lot of the vegan based products as well. As Susie said, the low car products a lot of granolas these days, even some peanut butters and some nut butters are mixed with a bit of coconut and palm oil as well, and significant amounts in imported sort of those more ultra process package snacks as well, So it absolutely sneaks in everywhere in our diet. But as Susie said, the goal from a national health guideline is less than ten percent of your total energy intake coming from saturated fat each day, and that's very, very easy to achieve. So it is a good thing to pretty nice reminder just to take a step back and look at your overall diet and really see how much is creeping in unintentionally each week, because from the majority of us, it is actually far more than ten percent of your total diet.
Speaker 3: True, And I just had a little look. So a twenty five gram serve of Cabri dairy milk has got almost five grams of saturated fat. So that's where if you're having a roll or two of chocolate, you're probably getting closer to ten. And as we know, once you start, you can't stop. A chocolate type musically bar that's got a coating will have at least say three grams per bar, as I said, even up to eight, and when I look per one hundred, they're coming in at about nine, so they're well over that three percent level that would be a healthy product. And that's where we run into this idea of the healthy masquerade sort of healthy product's been shown around as healthy a snaps that when you take a closer look, they're much higher and the same often with the low carb protein bars. You know, they're sort of in the gym set again because you've got to make them out of something, you know, and so you need some fat to bind it. And I just wanted to get because I do find bacon and processed meat still slips in a lot, Like let's be honest, on a Sunday morning, we like a B and E and then you're getting the fat from It's often they're using a spread on the bread plus a fatty sausage at Bunnings. But I just want to have a quick look at a bacon because I do find some of those my clients are eating bacon a couple of times a week.
Speaker 2: I'll just mentioned quickly.
Speaker 1: Pastries is a big one where a lot of saturated and trans fat slips in. Like I had a client and she just asked me a question and she was like, look, I'm at this place and this is all they've got an offer is the spinach and fatter.
Speaker 2: And she was just genuinely curious.
Speaker 1: She's like, is this spinach and fetter pastry a better option? And I said to her, look, actually rather you had something with a bit of protein in it, because you know, we know protein is good for metabolic heales. That helps us the tidy. But it's those things where a lot of these pastries do slip in. Whether they're the sweeter type pastries that you might have, you know, a blueberry danish or something, or your croissant when you're getting your coffee, or it might be more of a savory type pastry. It's a sausage roll, it's a spinach and fetter pastry. They do tend to slip in quite a lot, particularly if you are someone that goes to a lot of like catered morning teas. You know, they often slip in with the office the office catering as well, but also on the weekend, if you're at the kid's soccer game, if you're taking you know if you're off to the footy on the weekend, those commercial baked goods and pastries are where a lot of saturated and trans fat as well does tend to slip in easily into our diets, and that's where it can easily take us over that total ten percent intake for the day.
Speaker 3: True, I just had to look at a server bake in fifty grams. It's got four grams of saturated fat. So yeah, I think it's good. Good to have a rough reference. So you're looking about twenty maybe thirty a day, probably closer to twenty, So just do a quick scan and particularly if you do have a high risk of blood cholesterol. Now, I had this conversation with a client who eats really well. She's very slim and still has high cholesterol. Sometimes genetically we will still have high cholesterol no matter what we eat. But from a health perspective, there's only benefits that come from keeping such tad of that controlled in the diet, because it does work in a synergistic way with all the types of facts when it comes to reducing information. But generally speaking, from there's only benefits that will come from keeping that level under control and that's those key foods. But yeah, anything over say three grams is served definitely in supermarket is one to look for healthier, lower saturated fat alternatives. All right, lenne Well, I had a couple of clients this week and assessing their medical history, and that, of course, is the benefit of seeing and working with a dietitian is that you get that holistic health advice looking at your total risk for a number of disease states. And I was actually quite surprised because I had a very sort of a girl who she does want to lose some weight, but she wasn't a massive frame. But she came to me because she was planning another pregnancy and she had had gestational diabetes in her first pregnancy, And straight away I was like, oh, you've made the right decision in us proactively managing this, because any listeners may not be aware that if you had gestational diabetes in pregnancy or there is a fount the history of type two diabetes, you have an extremely high risk of developing diabetes in your future, no matter how healthy you are, because basically it's a genetic issue and you are programmed to have issues with BLOGI post control very early, so if you've had that PCOS that specifically gestational diabetes, it is a sign that you are at really high risk. And if I had unlimited health, fundingly, and I would encourage any female who've had gestational diabetes to be proactively managing blu plost levels immediately after pregnancy, not waiting until they had into resistance and eventually type two. So I think it's one of the best preventative strategies we can use to prevent diabetes long term. And it's not to be thought of as sort of weakness in lifestyle choices or you've eaten badly. It's nothing to do with that. It's purely genetic and that's why some people who can be really overweight don't have diabetes. It's not purely dependent. You have to have the genetic predisposition, which is why whether it's a family member, even someone with thyroid dysfunction, but certainly, if you know your sister, you know how gestational, I would be proactively preventing and taking active step to prevent that type two straight after that pregnancy, whenever you sort of recover from your baby and work with an endocrinologist or a very good GP. So yeah, I just want to have a little chat about blood gluepost levels through the lifespan and what are the key things we can do to manage them, particularly if you do have that family history. So there's a few key pieces of research which are beneficial when it comes to blood gluepos control. And I think it's interesting because there's of course the Blue Post Goddess who does a lot of work on social media, and she's also heavily criticized by a number of health professionals because she doesn't always necessarily explain that blood glue post regulation issues are often or significantly a genetic component. So the average person monitoring blood gluepost levels, it's not something we all should be doing naturally. We should be regulating gluepos quite well. It's just certainly something for you if you're at higher risk because of those genetic links, or have had gestation or some key things that I would be doing early on. So the first thing I'd be doing is on an annual basis, I would be monitoring your HbA one C levels and if you are struggling or no she's seeing your weight is increasing, or if your waste measurement is over ninety centimeters, I would certainly be pushing if it's not being proactively managed for a gluepose tolerance test with insulin to see if your insulin levels are high in the background, because about ten years before full blown type two diabetes, insulin levels will be raised and some cases you may need medication, or even just being aware of it will mean that you instantly can make some diet adjustments. See a dietitian zen endocrinologist for the right advice. So you don't want to wait until your gluepose is elevated. You want to manage it when your insulin is high and for an assessment of that. Truly, you should be getting a gluepost tolerance test. Doctors don't like to do it. It's expended if it's intense, but if you're at high risk, if both parents have got type two diabetes, if you've got a high waste measurement, if you had gestation, or I would be pushing for that because as soon as it starts to creep up is a sign I would be proactively managing it. So that's the first The next thing is creating space in between meals. So one of the key things that disrupts glucose regulation is that we flood the cell with glucose or food too often. So for example, we have a coffee with milk when we get up, and then an hour later we have our toes with eggs, and then an hour or two later we have another coffee with milk, and then we have a piece of fruit, and we never have two, three, even four hours in between any food stimulus. And that for someone who has glucose regulation issues, will continually be spiking your glucose, driving over eating, but also putting a lot of pressure on insulin and glucose in the cell. So you want to create that space in between eating occasions of at least three, if not four hours to allow glucose levels to return to normal. The third thing I would be suggesting is that you try food sequencing as a default pattern of eating because that helps the cell and insulin and food sequencing, which we have covered on the podcast, So have a search in the show itself to go back for a whole episode covering that. But just basically means eating your nutrients in a specific order. So as part of a mixed meal, you would be encouraged to eat the vegetable and fiber component first, followed by the protein and followed by any carbohydrate. So if you had a dinner plate with steak, veggies, and salad, we would say eat the salad first and any veggies, then have the steak, and then have potato because that helps the cell to manage the gluepost levels better and there is evidence for that it's a small level, but still not insignificant. And the fourth thing I would be encouraging those people that group specifically to do. Mind you, these are patterns that aren't bad for any of us, but specifically for that high risk group. Whenever you can move after a meal, that is the best thing you can do because that instantly made the body work harder in clearing blueposts. That in turn means you need less insulin, and the less insulin the better it is for our sell help. So rather than having a big meal at night and then sitting down and watching TV, the best thing you can do is clean up after dinner, or take the dog out for a walk around the block. Or if you're working at home and you're able to eat your lunch at your desk at eleven thirty twelve and then use your lunch break to go for a walk You're always better to eat and then move if you're juggling blueclose levels because it will stop your levels going low and having sugar craving. But it will also help to naturally regulate your level's best. But you want to be onto it. And if anyone's listening, who you've got a girlfriend, a family member who did have gestational or are strong family history, these are strategies I would be planning now, and I would want to know what your HbA one C is doing now because if it slowly starts to increase, that is an active sign. You need to proactively manage it. Because in this day and age, we're busy, we're not great at preventative health. We tend to wait until and many doctors still will wait until you've full blown intional resistance or diabetes before managing it. If you're at high risk actors, if you've got it, and you will ultimately prevent it because trying to manage it, especially young, is not great for your self health and longevity long term.
Speaker 2: There's anything more I can we out there? You cover that very nicely, season.
Speaker 3: I think my concernedly, Anne, I can't tell you how many girls I've seen in my career who have had gestational and haven't been told at what high risks they are of getting tyed to and they needed to. In many cases, they can be on preventative medication then and they will never get it. They won't gain weight, and I'm sort of it makes me annoyed that they're not told that once they've had their baby. So, as I said, you don't need to. I think there's a lot of guilt around it. I think people think they've done the wrong thing. You know, it's you know, they've eaten badly, they haven't been good. It's not about being good. These are genetic predispositions, and lifestyle makes it difficult. Busy women don't always have the privilege of an hour to exercise a day. You know, we're doing the best we can, particularly when you're in your thirties and forties and in that var tex of kids and work and family. There's nothing to feel guilty about. This is about proactive, similar to the movement of managing Perry now and proactively moving forward with positive aging. This is simply at something we know you're at higher risk, so let's manage it and take control of it early, so spread the word, because I think there's a lot of guilt that comes from women as well around their health one.
Speaker 1: Hundred percent, and for so many women it is really it just comes down to bad luck. It is genetics, It is a bit of a hormone mix, It is what it is. If you end up with citestational diabetes, be proactive in managing that, like Susie said, But I also think there is a responsibility from our healthcare providers to let women know that a lot of them will end up with diabetes eventually if it is not proactively managed early. So don't wait for you to become eventually diagnosed. Actually jump onto that and do it early. And it is not a failure on anybody's behalf. If you end up needing medication to help regulate your bloodgical levels, that does not mean that you failed. It does not mean that you did the wrong thing. It is simply that sometimes bodies need a little bit of assistance to do what they need to do. And sometimes that's a hormonal thing, sometimes it's a genetic things. Sometimes it just is what it is. So don't ever feel like it's a failure to need a little bit of medication or need a little bit of medical interventional dietetic help for assistance, because this is what dietitians are trained for, Susie, and Susie of course specializes in that. I've got a few dietitians that work on my team that specialize in terms of blood sugar regulation issues. So it's always, always, always going to be beneficial for you to link in with some professionals early on and know what you need to do before it almost becomes too late, because once you've got you know, full blown diabetes, it is a lot harder to do a lot of these lifestyle interventions and to have them have as much of an impact as if you're jumping on them and doing them early.
Speaker 3: True, very true.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, our.
Speaker 1: Next segment is on high protein breads and following on from our potty last week about talking about ultra process foods. So a lot of these products in the supermarket are sort of between processes and ultra process foods, and we've got one today which I would say is probably the definition of an ultra process Yes, an ultra processed food. It's got some emulsifiers in their own stuff, but it is the case where sometimes they can be a benefit to some people's dyes, and other times people are better with more, you know, whole food based products. So a lot of these products that are by definition high protein, low carb, they've been I guess manipulated, for lack of a better word, buy food companies to create products that the market demands or that the consumer demands, and these higher protein breads and higher protein wraps certainly they fall under that definition. The market or consumers have basically created the demand for them because we know protein is important, we know it's very trendy. But you know, we've got to draw the line somewhere, Susie, Do we need protein in our chips? Do we need protein in our chocolate? No, We've got to draw the line somewhere. But bread and wraps are things that people tend to eat very regularly. So are they a daily addition to people's dyes? Are they a weekly addition to people's dyes? Do people need them?
Speaker 2: Should they just be.
Speaker 1: Having good old, regular quote unquote normal bread. So let's take a look. So today we've got the Coal's high protein bread. Now this is available where Susie's in Sydney. I can't see it available where I am in Brisbane. Or at my local supermarkets. I actually haven't seen it before, so it may be a little bit location dependent. It's not I thought it was brand new, but Susie said it's been around for a while. It's the Coal's High Protein Loaf. Now for context, we've reviewed the coals eighty five percent lower carb high protein loaf before. That's different. That's in like an orange packaging. This one's in a black that perform packaging and it's the high protein loaf. So it's seven fifty gram So it's a little bit confusing because the name of it is very similar to the other one that we've reviewed, but the big difference is the other one we've reviewed is low carb. This one actually is what you call similar to the texture and composition of normal bread, but it's a higher protein bread. So ingredient wise, we'll start with that. The first ingredient is wholemeal wheat flour, so forty eight percent, so basically half of that lof loaf is wholemeal wheat flour and that flour is fortified with thybon and folic acid, which a lot of our grains are within Australia as well. Just to give people that extra boost of nutrients. Next ingredient is water, wheat, gluten, soy protein isolate, which is how they're getting additional protein in that product. They're using soy protein isolate. There's also yeast, vinegar, iodized salt, canola oil, some natural preservatives, some soy flour, some emulsifiers. There's one, two, three, three different types of mulsifiers in there, and an enzyme in there being wheat, so obviously not a gluten free product. It also contains soy as well for anybody with allergens now per serving, So two slices of bread ten point nine grams of protein. So if you compare it to a normal wholemeal loaf, yes, it has more protein in it. Correct me if I'm wrong, Souzy, But two slices of a normal holemeal loaf would be two three grams of protein, so it is significantly higher if you are comparing it to a really great quality bread. Zusine and I both really enjoy not spa at all. We just enjoy the brand, the berg and soylin loaf. Couple of slices of that is like eight to ten grams of protein, so that is all coming from the seeds in it. So This is certainly higher, but not as high as the previous low carb loaf we've reviewed, which has I think from memory, about twenty grams of protein and two slices, so per serving two slices in this one is twenty five point eight grams of carbohydrate, so more similar to a standard loaf of wholemeal bread, given that it's got about a serve of carbohydrate in there kilodyl wires seven hundred and forty kilodules, roughly about one hundred and seventy calories for two slices.
Speaker 2: Overall fat total.
Speaker 1: Is one point nine to nine grams, so just less than two grams, with only about point five of that being saturated fat, and that's coming from I think there was a little bit of additional.
Speaker 2: Oil in the canola oil, I think. And then what have I got left? Fiber?
Speaker 1: Dietary fiber five point four grams for two slices, which is pretty good for a bread, and about three hundred milligrams of sodium for two slices, which I would say is fairly standard for bread. Most breads and cereals have some atted sodium in there. So what do I think overall? I think it's very comparable to a normal whole meal loaf. It probably has a couple of extragrams of fiber and certainly about double the protein in a normal whole meal loaf. But could you have a slice or two of this with a bit of peeb or a bit of jam and butter. No, it's not enough protein for the average male or female to need at breakfast time. Most of us needs upwards of twenty grams of protein ideally, probably closer to thirty grams, particularly if breakfast is out our meal after exercise. Like myself, I'm a morning exerciser. Breakfast is generally my first meal of the day. I'm aiming for about thirty grams of protein, ideally to control blood sugar regulation to help replenish my muscles. So for me, it's a funny one like I probably wouldn't recommend it for my clients because it's giving me a couple of extra grams of protein. But I would still need some Cottish cheese, some eggs, some smoked salmon, something with that. A slice of this with a bit of pinut butter and a protein shake on the side, I would still need more protein to get this up over the line. For what I want myself and my clients having. I don't know, how do you feel about it? I'm sort of like, yeah, it's fine, but you're probably paying a premium price for it. It doesn't have the price on my five bucks five dollars. Okay, So that's fairly standard in terms of a loaf of bread. I guess maybe not the the home brand varieties, but if you look at you know, the country Life and the what is it Baker's, you know, five dollars is fairly standard for a loaf of bread these days.
Speaker 3: I'm like you, it's middle it's middle ground.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not amazing, but.
Speaker 3: I would use it if I had a child, not child, even a teenager who wouldn't eat grain bread? Who because it's actually would I buy this product?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: Is it a bad product? No? You know, it's middle ground. It's like, you know, the higher fiber whole meal bread, like the wonder white hole meal. Again, like it's not my top bread, but it's okay, it's better than white bread. Now, just I've just had a quick look. Now, you know, Leanne and I we're not sponsored by certain brands, and we will always declare if we are. And I times might do an endorsement for a certain product, but this is just cold. I will always say burg and soliin say is the best bread in the supermarket, and it has been for twenty years. And the reason is I've just had to look at it. Leanne two slices of soilin bread's got twelve grams of protein and six grams of fiber less sodium. And this is all naturalists. It's got twenty two percent grain like it is so nutritionally superior. It changed the industry when it came out. But it's not for everyone. It's not great as a bread. It's better toasted, Like my kids actually eat it as bread, but not everyone would. So it's pros and cons. But nutritionally it's got the added benefit of the good fats because it's got the whole grain and seed, which is what this coals bread does not have. You're not getting a good fatty acid ratio because you're not getting those those whole grains in there. So yeah, it's never going to be as good as whole grain bread. It's it's okay. It offers some protein, you know, as I said, it's a middle ground. It's better than a white bread. It's it's probably slightly better than some of the higher fiber types, but only slightly. And it does have those attitudes, things like the preservatives and the monsifiers that something like the bourbon doesn't have. So I'm kind of torn as well, you know. It's sort of that middle ground for me. Whereas, yeah, the gold standard. The reason where it's always dieticians generally will always go for the bourbon, soylmbits the standout bread is that nutritionally it is far superior. Now I've noticed that Helga's also have a similar mix to this bread, So Helgers have got it's not low carb, but it's lower carve, which is confusing in terms of marketing anyway. I think so Helga's have got a lower car variety with grains and seeds, so that is good, and I think they've got one that is similar just to Wholy. Also, it sort of sits in that range of being slightly lower in carb but not low carve. So yeah, I think if you like it. I wouldn't probably it wouldn't be on my meal plans, but I wouldn't be dead against it if someone liked it, And particularly with teenagers, it can be a way for them to get some extra a higher level of protein than say just a whole meal bread. And it's sort of comparable in price. And I think the text is probably quite good, whereas it doesn't have that dense braininess. But yeah, I very much am aligned with you. It's not my go to brands, you know what I mean? So yeah, seven out of ten, seven out of ten.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was gonna say I'd recommend it for somebody who had textual I guess concerns like I have a couple of my ladies who are like, look, I don't like the texture of the bergensoy Lin. It's a heavy it's a dense bread, or you know, the lower carb type breads. They're heavy breads, they're dent. They're not sandwich breads. You would absolutely need to toast them. They're far too dense to enjoy as this sandwich. So I would say that that is a good option for somebody who's just looking for, you know, they just want to have a couple of eggs on toast, that's probably a good option because two eggs is going to give you about fourteen grams of protein. Two slices of that in additional ten grams. You're now sitting at twenty four grams of protein, so that is probably something if you have issues with the texture of some.
Speaker 2: Types of bread.
Speaker 1: It's probably a good issue if your goal is fat loss and you want to have a bit more protein at breakfast. But I also have issues with that lower car bread. A lot of my ladies want to use it after exercise, and I say, no, no, I want you to eat carbs. I want you to eat carbs, particularly around your exercise. So I don't tend to use the lower car breads a lot, even though they are probably a better mixed nutritionally because they've got a good fat profile from a lot of the seeds, and they are higher and fiber, they are higher in protein. But for a lot of my ladies they do they don't.
Speaker 2: Like the texture of it.
Speaker 1: It is quite dense, and also there's no carb in there, so it kind of defeats a purpose. Because we want our ladies eating carbs, particularly for weight loss, we just have to be mindful of how much of it.
Speaker 2: So it's an interesting product.
Speaker 1: I could see where it might be appropriate for some, but I would say the average person is probably better with a burg and soil in or I don't mind tip top nine grain that's sort of what I get for my kids, or I get the coals they do like a I think it's a nine grain low GI type bread. It's very dense, it's got lots of seeds in it. That's not the one that my kids eat, so I do like to see some visible seeds in a bread. I think from a gut health perspective, it's one of the best things that you can do, and then the whole meal sort of sit in the middle ground for me. But I'm always a fan of more than multi grain with the dense amount of seeds in that that's always the better one you can do from a health than a gut health perspective.
Speaker 3: True, And I traditionally always gave my kids I do like you. I like the Helper's lower carve seeded one, but it's hard to find. But I used to always give my kids the tiptop that it's tip top than the sort of whole meal higher fibar, oh, wonder White, sorry, Wonder White high fiber whole meal. But it's funny because I never made a big deal about grains in my house with the kids. But I'm not known for my food provision, and I often don't have much and I've often got say a burg and soilin in the fridge because I like it as I find it never kind of goes off. I can have it for a couple of weeks in the fridge. And you know, with the cost of food, I don't like wasting bread because the sour dough multi grain at my local is fourteen dollars a loaf like that is serious money for a thing. So if I buy that, I try and make it last. But if I've got the Bergensuay living there. And the other day came home and my nanny was making sandwiches for my boys using that, and they were eating it, and I just thought, there you go. If you don't make a big deal out of kids food, they often will just eat it, which lends it to say that Our ebook for Kids Nutrition with suggestions for brands for kids is now available at the nutritioncouch dot com or Your Kids Their Food, and we cover all of these issues around if your kids only eat white carbs, what are the best types, and look at different breads for kids as well, just as an offside, so right to round stuff daily and we have our listener question, which is a common one. We get a lot of questions around weight loss. How do I know if I should be looking at medication for weight loss? So I usually would say it's sort of a continuum. Weight loss medication is not for everyone. There's also a wide range of weightless medication, going from something as simple as something like met Foreman, which is an intalance sansitizing agent that we've used for many years to help support weight loss, going all the way through to the latest GLP ones things like yourros and Peak. You would go VII Manjara, which are evolving in the way their function as well. So Ocenpeak, for example, is quite different to Monjuro. So as they're evolving, they're getting a lot more specific. So as a starting point, if I've got a client who needs to lose less than ten or twenty kilos even I will generally try and get weight off without medication, unless they have a waste measurement over one hundred centimeters, have tried losing weight previously, and have pre diabetes into resistance, or a strong family history. If any of those present, and plus if they're in their fifties or sixties, it will be pretty challenging for me to reduce calories and exercise them at their level if they've got those genetic predisposing factors. But for anyone under the age of you know, forty five forty, if it's less than twenty kilos, I usually will try and get weight off without and then after four six eight weeks, if I'm not losing a good three five kilos with dytin exercise, I may start to look at some of the blood tests to suggest those medications may be helpful. You know, some people may go straight away and say, and I've seen this GPS recently, where the GP will suggest medication straight away. I think it's a personal choice. I've got clients who are pre diabetic who don't want to use weightless medication. They don't care, they want to do it without, and I'll say, we'll give it a red hot go. So it really depends on where you're sitting, how hard you can exercise, what you've tried before. It's not a one size fits all model. But what I will say is that no matter what your weight is, if you try reducing calories, see a dietitian Cee lean Or, I honest good meal plan with support, are moving and you're not losing weight After six eight weeks, that's when I'll start to check the bloods or if I've got the blood test early on, and sort of the other risk factors like family history, high Waiste measurement, long history of dieting. I may allude to it earlier, but sometimes we have the case and I know you've had this recently and where you had a client who'd lost a twenty kilos doing really well, but then there was a plateau and a significant plata three six months and then we may need extra help. So sometimes that also happens, and that's a suggestion that metabolically we've got the excess off and then we're going to need a bit of help to sort of get the cell efficient enough to keep burning. So the basic answer to my question is it's not a one size fits all model. Very rarely do I start someone on medication unless they are well over one hundred kilos, they can't move a lot, there are a strong family history of diabetes, maybe then I will mention it early. But most of my clients, you know, I really will try and move weight without them, And I do have a subgroup of clients who are already using medication but unsuccessfully because they haven't had the right lifestyle advice, and the medication on its own will not work without the diet exercise. So it's like the chicken and the egg. They have to go together. And that's why if you are listening and have tried a weight loss medication and aren't getting sort of at least a kilo every two weeks, I would say you either need to see a dietitian or it's not the right medication for you one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: And do not underestimate the power of actually seeing a dietitian who can guide you on these practices but also can, as Susie said, help you maximize the medication the best of your potential, but also help you so it doesn't all come back on the minute that you you know, the minute that it actually stops. So as dieticians, we do work with clients with weight loss medication, but as Zuzi said, it's not often our first point of call. We like to give it a red hot go over diet and exercise, but it's so important that the diet plan you're on, if you want to call it a diet plan if you want to call it a nutrition plan, if you want to call it a lifestyle plan, whatever it's called, you actually enjoy it. Because if you're not enjoying it, if it's literally just like chicken and green vegetables every night, it's a juice in the morning, it's a you know, a shake for lunch, it's not gonna last.
Speaker 2: Because you were going to fall off a wagon.
Speaker 1: It's not a question if if, but when you will fall off the wagon because you're not enjoying the foods that you like. That kind of restrictive plan isn't teaching you how to eat for real life. So make sure that the nutrition plan you're following you actually enjoy. And there's so many times, so Susan and I have both had clients who have come to us and they're like, I've tried everything, I can't lose weight. There's something it's it's medical, it's it's metabolic, there's something wrong, and then we start them off on a plan that's tailor to them. It's not a one stop shop, downloadable plan that you got in your eight week gym challenge.
Speaker 2: The plan was actually tailored for.
Speaker 1: Them their hormones, their age, their activity, levels, their likes, their preferences, and low and behold, they're losing weight very, very easily because they actually had a personalized plan. And the amount of times I've seen clients who have said, oh, no, no, I've done personalized plans before, but they're not really personalized. Like the practitioner they were working with, the health coach, the PT whatever, it wasn't a personalized plan. They might have done their macros, but knowing your macros isn't a personalized futrition plan that you can actually enjoy. So do not underestimate the power of seeing a great dietician who specializes in fat loss, such as Susie her team, myself, my team, who specialize in fat loss, who specialize in hormones, who specialize in some of these weight loss medications, to actually give yourself the best shot. And it's actually a great time to see a dietitian. Might I mention like in winter is the perfect time. Everybody thinks, oh, I can't see a dietitian until January until I need to, you know, get in my bathing suit.
Speaker 2: Or whatever it is.
Speaker 1: Winter is a great option to see a dietitian because you can just make so many wonderful dietary and lifestyle intervention choices, so you're just feeling so much better. You know, come spring when the weather starts warming up, everybody wants to see a dietitian and springing in summer, but my favorite time to work with clients is through winter to really help them find those nourishing, kind of comfort type meals but that are in the right portions for their body to help them align with their goals as well. So that's all I'll say is make sure that when you are saying, oh, I've tried everything, I've tried the personalized plan, make sure you truly have because what I find a lot of the time is when people can't lose weight, it's due to a lack of consistency. It's not that they can't lose weight, is that they can't be consistent with the plan because they don't actually like the plan. All the plan wasn't actually personalized to them, therefore they can't actually get those results. So I'd say nine times out of ten when somebody says they can't lose the weight, it's not because of a medical or a hormonal issue. It's generally ninety percent of the time because they're not consistent enough with the plan, because they don't actually like the plan or it's not person lies to them.
Speaker 3: True, very true, and.
Speaker 2: That brings us to the end of another episode.
Speaker 1: As Zusie said, our Kid's Ebook is now available at the nutritioncouch dot com. If you have troubles I guess feeding kids, whether that's toddler's babies, primary school aged children, fussy teens, it's all in our earbook. It's two hundred plus pages and it's available at the nutritioncouch dot com. So thank you for listening to our potty episode two hundred and ninety seven, and we'll be back next week. We are close to three hundred, Susie, we should do something to celebrate. We'll be back next week with another episode.
Speaker 3: Have a great week.