Speaker 1: Hello.
Speaker 2: My name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud yr the Order Kerni Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Let's get into it. She's on the Money. She's on the Money.
Speaker 3: Hello, and welcome that She's on the Money cast for millennials who want financial freedom. My name is beck Syed and with me is Victoria. Divine?
Speaker 1: Hey wrong, divine Victoria. Yeah, it's good name, isn't it. Thanks mum. He is a very good name. I say, thanks mum, not dad, because obviously came from my dad, but my mum chose to marry him. Oh well, good old decisions from women. Good on you all the divines to be honest. Yeah, it's a group effect. It's a group effort.
Speaker 3: Now, Victoria divine, divine victoria. We've shared on the pod before that I've done a fair few different jobs in my life.
Speaker 1: You have, it's relatively impressive. Thank you.
Speaker 3: I'm kind of getting over the embarrassment. I used to be quite embarrassed, but now I'm like, that's cool. I've done like a million jobs.
Speaker 1: Why is it embarrassing. I don't know. It's just like something you didn't really hear of.
Speaker 3: I'm like, I was a kitchen for five seconds, and then I was a barista for five seconds, and then I was this and then this, and kept jumping and jumping and hopping.
Speaker 1: You're just working out what you like, totally. Thank you. That's much better than just getting into a job and being like, can't leave because I just started and this is trash. Yeah, everybody else who's winning bex winning, Thank you.
Speaker 3: That's a very good way to reframe it. This is relevant today because we are talking about something that involves changing your career on the regular, but in a strategic way. So just hopping to literally increase your income, I feel like it's necessary nowadays.
Speaker 1: Hey yeah, I think so. It's really frustrating, but the rise of job hobbing is changing the landscape of employment, with companies needing to adapt their retention strategies to keep employees engaged. While loyalty and engagement with your workplace is really important, often the most effective way to get the salary increase you want, sadly, is by changing jobs and companies. So let's face it. Many salaries are unfortunately not keeping up with inflation, and lots of people are considering leaving. Well, let's talk about it. Oh, it's an interesting concept and it makes me really sad. Side notes. I used to work in employee engagement and satisfaction Like that used to be my job. I used to be secondered into other companies. We used to do employee engagement surveys and then I would implement strategies to increase engagement. And it was tightly I guess, correlated with remuneration. Right, So, like, I know a fair bit about this, and this is why it annoys me, because I'm like you guys unable to read, like, pay your people properly and they won't leave you. Good strategy. I mean, it's not the only strategy. But from my perspective, it's funny because there's three factors that I think play into employee engagement, say stay and strive. Okay, if somebody was like at a barbecue on a weekend and they said, hey, beck, tell me about your job, I would want you to be saying good things about the company, not in my presence, so I'd want you to be like, oh, yeah, it's a really good company, Like they treat me well. They you know, remunerate me properly for the work that I do. The second point is stay. So you want to stay with the company, You're not looking for another job. And the reason you want to stay is because all of your quote hygiene factors are being met. So for me, a hygiene factor is kind of like you're being paid enough to live a reasonable life. You're being paid enough for the job that you're doing. You are being paid for the jobs that you are undertaking. And then strive. So that's the like lust point that I think is a real key indicator of whether an employee is willing to stay or not strive. Is that above and beyond? Like, is that employee going above and beyond in their job. We're not saying, oh my gosh, are they staying till ten pm? Because I don't think that's a reflection of work ethic at all. I think you know again. Side note, if you can't do your job within the thirty eight hour week that you've been allocated, there's one of two things happening, right. Either I, as your boss, have given you too many jobs for that period of time and I'm taking advantage of you, or you, as the employee, you're just dragging your feet and you actually have to spend a whole heap of time outside of work hours to get the job that I allocated you done. It's one or the other. Staying till ten pm not sexy. No, Like above and beyond is more. You're willing to put the time, energy and effort in. I'm not expecting you to work six million other hours, right, to be clear. So it's interesting in twenty twenty three, when we have accessed all of the information, all of the data that says these are the three things that really play into employee retention, people like nah, nah. Other than that, people do not realize how bad it is. And then they're like, oh, I'm so surprised beck quit. She said she was going to a different job, and like, I'm just so surprised. I thought she loved her job. Yeah, but you are underpaying her. And when she asked for a raise, you said no. And then she found out that her friend, who had recently started and she'd trained, got paid more than her. She was just done with your shit. Yea, the problem is you, babe. It blows my mind. And I know that this concept is going to be new to some people in our community, but also not new all to a lot of people, because a lot of the times we've had really nice money diarists on the show talking about how they left a role to increase their salary, or they left because they weren't being respected or remunerated in the way that they should have been. And I just think today, let's look at a few things. Let's look at the concept of job hopping. Let's look at the outline of the best way to do it, and also look at the potential pros and cons to get you really thinking about whether it might work for you. Because it's not the nineteen fifties anymore. You don't join one company and work there until you retire anymore. It's just not what's gonna happen there. It's not gonna happen. That's very maybe nineteen fifties.
Speaker 3: Yeah, perfectly, because what I've done is I've looked up some stats for you, stats goal, and I wonder if you're keen to hear.
Speaker 1: I'm so excited because I know some of the stats already. I don't know what you've found those, So dig them up, show us what you've got.
Speaker 3: So over these down. So if it sounds like i'm reading, it's because because.
Speaker 1: I'm reading, it's because you're reading.
Speaker 3: So according to his study by USA's ADP Research Institute, yeah, I would have to.
Speaker 1: Read twenty one of the mouth makes sense.
Speaker 3: In twenty twenty one, jobs witches saw their wages grow five point eight percent year over year in June, while job holders experienced a three point one percent gain, derived from payroll data of eighteen million workers.
Speaker 1: So the maths is quite clear. You leave your job, you get paid more. Job hoppers get paid more.
Speaker 3: Job stayers maybe some get paid more, but they get paid less.
Speaker 1: The science is science. Yes, I mean they get a pay rise, but maybe rarely. I don't really know what all. Stop trying to back the employers right now.
Speaker 3: That's driving just a big fensit. I'm getting splinters. So back home here in Australia, over fifty five percent of bossies have been at their current workplace for less than five years, while just one in ten have been with the same company for over twenty years. That's refreshing, actually, because you know, when you speak to middle aged no get rid of that. Maybe you have shouldn't say, let's not get rid.
Speaker 1: Of that, let's keep that. I love that. I think I'm middle but it's true, this is the problem. I think it's true like people of my parents' generation were much more likely to stay in a job for a significant period of time because for them, loyalty paid off. True, whereas I don't think loyalty pays off in the same way that it used to. And that's actually really sad. Yeah, because you know, I don't know. I look at it from two perspectives. I suppose I used to be an employee, and I have had those conversations where I've said I need a race and I've had it declined. I'm also now an employer and I have two different teams in which I employ more than thirty people. So these conversations are things that I deal with literally every single day in the background. And I don't know if it's my personality. I don't know if anybody else is like this, because I get maybe it's the ADHD thing. Do you know that people with ADHD have a higher sense of justice than anybody else, Like, it's actually not just ADHD, it's nearest bicy friends across the board, whether you are on any type of spectrum, you have a higher sense of justice. So if you see something that is wrong, you're more likely to get involved in the fight or not like it or not agree with it. And I think that that could play into this, but it just really frustrates me that if I have good employees, the idea that they would think that they weren't properly remunerated. I'm immediately like, beck, I want to talk about it, like I want you to be so happy with your salary because you know that it's a reflection of your capabilities and what you've put into the role and what the role is worth. And we have these open, honest conversations, and I don't think that should come as a surprise. I mean, I am she's on the money, but it blows my mind when I hear from people in our community that they don't get the same grace of having those conversations with their employer. Their employer might go, oh, well, Beck, I can't afford that. You're kind of like, well, if that's a ca you can't afford me. Like, and I know a lot of people are going to get up in arms and they might say, oh VI, but small businesses can't afford to just give pay rises. Your responsibility as well to find a way to remunerate your employees so that they have a living wage. Your employee chose to be an employee for the stability. Otherwise everybody would have their own businesses, right, Beck, Like everybody would be out on their own because the idea of business is that you make more than an average salary. Otherwise why bother?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: So, why would you not have these open, honest conversations with your employees. But at the same time, I completely understand, like, sometimes your hands are tied, in which case, why aren't you having that conversation with your employee?
Speaker 2: Beck?
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, things are really stretched at the moment. I know I should be paying you more, but I just can't cut it right now. At least you know where you stand, and that gives you, as the employee the opportunity to go well, actually that's not good enough for me at the moment, like rising cost of living, I can't really afford things. I might just start looking for a new role, or you might go no, it makes sense. I really respect that my employer has been so transparent with me. I'm actually kind of happy with the income. It would have been nice to have more, but like, I much prefer to like work at this company that I adore, then go somewhere else just for higher pay. Because everybody's values are different, right, So there's not a right or a wrong. But I think we need to be transparent, and I don't think in twenty twenty three most people are. No, So it blows my mind that people expect loyalty without giving back loyalty to their employees. So true, that makes so much sense. Makes me mad. It makes me mad too.
Speaker 3: I'm actually kind of having a bit of an epiphany as you say that. I'm like, I think I have a lot of ADHD tendencies, maybe neuro spicy time I told.
Speaker 1: You this is so wildly inappropriate and I should not be diagnosing you. But the second I met you, I was like, oh, near a spicy friend. We both spit on our chairs while we record. I can't keep still. I'm making paper cranes across the table. I'm gifting them to you. We have fidget toys that have now been confiscated because we make too much noise with them. Like, Babe, I'm really sorry to tell you this, but you are on some spectrum. I'm not sure which one it is that makes it, that makes it.
Speaker 3: The one that really tipped it over the edge for me was the injustice thing that you said, toye. It makes me cry and it makes me so I can't like express can't let it go.
Speaker 1: I can't let it go.
Speaker 3: I can't let go become obsessed with it. So I'm going to maybe look into that. But V before I do, I have one thing for you, right, stats, girl show me. In February twenty twenty two, one point three million Australians changed jobs, accounting for ten percent of employed people, which was the highest annual job mobility rate since twenty twelve.
Speaker 1: I am not surprised, do you know why. I'm not surprised why because that was coming off the back of COVID true, so it was like, I don't know, I feel like lots of us were in the exact same position in COVID, where we're like, we've got a secure job. I'm not going to quit my job right now, because if you've got a job that's stable, like, don't mess with something that's not broken, especially at a time where there's not a lot of economic stability and you're not really sure what's going on. So I think a lot of us had, let's call it those two years of thinking time during COVID to go do I want this?
Speaker 3: Do I not?
Speaker 1: And a lot of us were kind of like teeing up. Okay, well, when this COVID thing's over, I'm going to find a new job. And I feel like when it started to be over, everybody got a little bit more comfortable. And then the new year happened and the end of January came and then February, Bam, I'm still in that dead end job that I don't want to be in. Yeah, I'm going to move. So that kind of makes sense as to why it was the biggest transition. But I think we got a lot of what would you say, like exposure or like insight to our employers and how much they actually respected us or not during.
Speaker 3: Covidys, I definitely agree to kind of like, let us figure out if this is really what we wanted. It kind of was a time for everyone to really reflect on what the hell we're doing and what are we're doing.
Speaker 1: Most of us ended up working at home on jobs that we might not have liked. Yeah, and that I don't know if you have a job that you don't like and the only reason that you're really staying was for the culture, that makes it even worse. Totally, So v let's break down the advantages of a job hopping, all right, let's talk about it. So salary increase is one of the advantages, right, so you can earn more Mueller kind of sexy. So when you stay with the same company for an extended period of time, your salary increases are often limited to standard raisers and your performance based ratings. Right. By moving to a new employer, you could negotiate a higher starting salary based on your updated skills or experience or the market demand. Miss jessic Ricci, who we know and love, has said before, I don't know how I feel about this as her current employer that whenever she goes for a new job, she just asks for ten percent more as a base to begin with, because she's like, I'm not leaving for less than ten percent more. It's always worked for her. Yeah, I love that. I kind of love that rule. I am the type of person that I think that's good. Please don't leave me, Jessica, negotiate your pay with me. But it's one of those things that just have some balls. Yeah, you want to move jobs back and you've done this job for a little while, just tack on an extra ten k.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's actually very very smart.
Speaker 1: I think it's quite intellig Yes, Yeah, the next skill diversification, so job hopping, it's going to expose you to a variety of different work environments and industries and technologies like what you've gone through. Beck, Like, I feel like you're the office all rounder. Like, are you not the person that if she is hitting the fan in this office? Who do people come to?
Speaker 2: God?
Speaker 3: Well, I guess you could say I'm pretty much a big I'm pretty popular around here.
Speaker 1: Definitely just kidding, but yes, I'm not that I've learned some No, you're like the person that everyone's like, oh, can you get back back? Might fix that? That is where is the lie? Where is the lie. That's what they say. I don't see no life exactly. So each new position, it presents an opportunity to learn a new skill, or have some more experience, or expand your expertise, which potentially makes you more valuable to future employers. What would this office do without you? Beck, Crumble exact, Crumble exactly. The next pro is career advancement. So switching jobs relatively strategically it could actually lead to faster career growth and increased responsibilities, which is kind of nice. New employers might recognize and reward your previous experiences, leading to quicker promotions and elevated positions. Yeah, okay, how many times have we seen it internally? Where if Beckleck, Let's pretend that you're in a stock standard role, which you're not, and you're like, oh, I'd love to move up to the manager position, right, but like the manager positions taken. But the company really likes you and they want to keep you in that role, so they keep telling you, yeah, Beck will train, you will do this, we'll do that. But you also know Analisa has that job, and Analsa hasn't left, and Analisa doesn't have any intention on leaving because analsa loves her job and that's her dream job. So you actually don't have a lot of opportunity. But that company's probably going to keep telling you, oh, beck yup at the point at which you're ready, we can move you up. It's not gonna happen, like, let's be logical. Yeah, yeah, a bit sad, but it's a bit true. Yeah. The amount of recruiters are going to be so mad at me. Oh my gosh, can't wait for them to foot my dms and be like Victoria, that's not true. We remunerate people, can't wait, can't wait? Are you scared? No, sit down? Sit down? Am I ever scared?
Speaker 3: No, that's true. I've never seen you ever shake a boot.
Speaker 1: No, she definitely gets scared. Sometimes I get so scared I cry. Oh, but I'm not scared of people telling me, oh, that's not how it works in my company, because I go, Wow, then your experience must be a unicorn and I'm so proud of you. But that's not the experience of absolutely everybody.
Speaker 3: Sure.
Speaker 1: It's like when people say I've never experienced racism, so it must not exist. You're like, okay, Craig.
Speaker 3: Paul Kelly, I don't know if that's a real name.
Speaker 1: You can't say that.
Speaker 3: Sorry, Paul Kelly, whoever you are, I just thought as the whitest name.
Speaker 1: To ever exists, so not Paul Kelly. I didn't realize Paul Kelly was a real person. Did you make a public apology to Paul Kelly? Please? Everyone exist?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: But do you know what his work? He lives on the peninsula back.
Speaker 3: Paul Kelly, I've I've probably been to his house before.
Speaker 1: You probably know his daughter. His daughter he's going with me.
Speaker 3: And not only that, but I hear he sings about racial device so he's an ally. I'm so sorry, Paul Kelly. That's just the only name I thought of.
Speaker 1: And that's so arguably because that was I don't know if it was inappropriate, but it was funny. I'm very sorry. I reckon he might be on the spectrum because he's definitely got that in justice about him too. I love that. But I don't even know where we were. So let's move on to the next pay. Yeah. So the next point that I've written down, Beck is better negotiation skills, which I think are really important actually, like in life in general, to be able to negotiate is a skill. That's why it's called negotiation skills, right, and job hoppers tend to develop stronger negotiation skills as they navigate various job oppers and conversation packages. And that is actually really powerful because it can put you in a better position long term. So being able to negotiate beck means that you're better at self advocating, and I think that that is a really really good skill to have. You're more likely to be like, oh, that's actually not right, how do I negotiate this? And I think that's kind of sexy, so not the worst thing. And then the last thing I've written down is networking opportunity. So job hopping could help you build a broader professional network, which is kind of good. If done right, it could lead to valuable connections and potential career opportunities in the future. I love that.
Speaker 3: I also love that, And this is a really good place to go for a really quick break.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're going to go listen to so Kelly. We're going to educate you a bit more. I need it, and then when we come back we can talk a bit more about job hopping.
Speaker 3: Perfect.
Speaker 1: So anyway, okay, we are back.
Speaker 3: We've listened to some Paul Kelly, Yes, and we've jammed, we've lived and laughed, and we're coming back now to what we were talking about beforehand, which is job hop hopping. So I noticed that you say the phrase if done right.
Speaker 1: But how do we do this right? That's such a fickle conversation, isn't it. So I've written down a few things that I think you need to do to do job hopping right, because I think sometimes we get a little bit excited and go, oh, I'll just change jobs, and then it's not what you dreamed of it, being like the grass is always Greener's like, let's just check that the grass is greener before we actually make a big decision, because job hopping, as much as it is of little to no consequence long term, short term, it could make a massive difference. So first things first, big one. But I want you to define your career goals. Make them really clear, Beck. I think it's so important to understand what you're wanting from each move and how it actually aligns with your ultimate objectives. Maybe you're just changing because you're broored of the job that you're in, and that's actually okay to say, I don't actually like the job that I've got. I want to try something different. That's fine, you might say I want something different, and to be honest, I don't know what I want to be when I grow up, but this feels good. Understanding why is really important. Continuing to upgrade and invest in your skills. So the more valuable you end up becoming in the job market, beck the higher salary negotiation power you have, the more stuff you can do, the more flips you can show, the more money they're gonna pay you. I love that money win. Establishing a strong foundation is really important. It is essential to have a solid work history and a few years of experience in your field before considering job hopping. So employers definitely value stability and commitment early in your career. And I think having a really strong narrative if you have left jobs early is also really important because people are going to go back, why did your last four months there?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: I didn't like it. I was bored. That's probably not gonna fly in an interview in the way that you think it might, But saying look, after four months, I didn't want to waste any more of their time or any more of my time. I just knew that that was not the job for me. And that's why I'm sitting in front of you, because I've done my research and I understand what your job entails, and you feel like that's such a better fit yep, instead of I got bored because that's just not gonna cut it. Honestly, if someone said that to me, I'd be like, pretend it's something else.
Speaker 3: Sure, because you don't know that they will get bored with you exactly exactly, And I think just being able to articulate yourself well right makes sense. The next is timing matters, so avoiding job hopping too frequently or without substantial achievements. So a general rule of thumb is to stay in a job for at least one or two years before exploring new opportunities. We're not saying stay ten, but like one or two years. I think at a minimum you pass probation in that job before you think about leaving, because if you're leaving within that first six month period, if that's what your probation looks like, to me, that can be a little bit of a red flag, especially if there are a number of them, because you kind of go, why is Beck not making probation right, right, she might have quit, but was that her choice?
Speaker 1: Like, right, Okay, do you know what I mean? Yeah, I see what you mean. The next is evaluate company culture and growth opportunities. So look for companies that offer room for growth and mentoring programs and supportive work culture. Don't solely focus on salary. Consider the overall potential of your career advancement, because we know that more money does not equal more happiness. As much as you might think, it might fix everything and it might make things a little bit more comfy in the really really short term, it's not going to solve world hunger. No, sorry, MO money more problems, Mo money, more problems. The next is network and build relationships. Networking plays a crucial role in job hopping success, so attend industry events or conferences that are related to your industry. Attend job fairs to connect with potential employers and industry professionals. The other thing that I adore, and I've said this on the podcast One million and One Time spec I love LinkedIn. I mean, she's a LinkedIn girly, I'm a LinkedIn queen. I mean I'm not that active on it nowadays because I just don't have time but when I was in that phase of finding new jobs and looking for new opportunities, you know how much creep and you can do. I love it creepy LinkedIn stalk, like, Oh, I want Beck's job. I'm going to go see what Beck has done before that job. How did Beck get into that job? So she worked at a RN and this job and this job, and now she has this one. Oh that's kind of cool. Career progressionate that maybe I'm interested in that company. That could be cool.
Speaker 3: That's interesting. It is scary though, when you can see the little notification that says it has.
Speaker 1: Been Just turn it off.
Speaker 3: But what if you don't want other people to see that.
Speaker 1: You just turn it off? Oh can you do that? Yeah? If you turn it off, it means that you can't see who's visited your profile, but they can't see you either, UA street. You can't just have it one way. That's very good to know. Actually, so Beck, who cares? That's true?
Speaker 3: No one should get after this, I'm going to go straight back to creeping.
Speaker 1: Yeah, go back to creeping and you can creep anonymously, which we really like. But I also think, what's the worst thing that could happen? If somebody saw that you were on their profile, they go, oh, Beck's interested in working with me. Oh, Beck's interested in my job.
Speaker 2: True?
Speaker 1: Cool, Well you should do make it a little bit more creepy, Beck. Why don't you reach out to them if you think they're a cool human being and you want to know more about their job. Do you know what people love doing? Beck? Like talking about themselves? Oh, people love talking about themselves. So if I reached out to you, I said, oh, Beck, your job looks so cool. I'd love to know more about how you got to where you are. Can I buy your coffee? I think I would like that. I see what you mean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, well maybe exactly.
Speaker 1: And you know what, then you get to meet someone, maybe in a job that you aspire to have, or maybe in a company that you're like, Oh, I've been looking at this company for ages, and you know there's a few roles being advertised, like oh got a little internal reference, Now do your friend? True Eke smart and not harder? Beck, I love that all for the cost of a coffee. That's great. Great advice, Call me LinkedIn call me. The next is craft a compelling resume and cover letter, So customize your resume and cover letter for each application, highlighting your relevant achievements and experience that align with the potential employer's needs. Now I need to admit got in a fight the other day on TikTok. Oh my gosh, I'm really good at it. My husband says I need to be less spicy. What happened? So the first one was about there was like a bolonnaise recipe that went up on TikTok, and I knew that I was starting a fight when I said, when does the LGI might get added to the bolonnaise recipe? And all the Americans jumped down my throat and said that's not traditional, that's not nice, as if deep dish pizza is traditional. But then a video and cheese on the Money went up about resumes and cover letters and how I approach resumes and cover letters and I sometimes only read your cover letters because I think it's really important to hire for cultural fit and I want to know how passionate you are. And so many people in that comment section will l like, well, I got my job without a cover letter. I've never written a cover letter. I've never done this, I've never done that. I don't care, right, you're telling. Ever, I'm giving you some examples of how you could put your best foot forward. And do you know what? Does that a really well written cover letter?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Because do you know what happens in jobs that are actually wanted and really good jobs? There's a plethora of applicants. How do you put yourself above and beyond them by making a clear and concise cover letter that explains exactly why you think that that is the job for you?
Speaker 3: Yep?
Speaker 1: Like I know that some places go just flick through your resume. Do you know what if you're finding a new job, take the time to write a cover letter?
Speaker 2: Ye?
Speaker 1: Do you know how easy it is nowadays with chat GPT tru like have chat GPT write you a template that you can edit, like do something because at the end of the day, I think it actually puts you in far better standing to actually secure the job. I don't care if you've got your job without a cover letter or a resume before. Sure, that's not what we're talking about. Like, this episode is about job hopping. And if your job hopping to raise your income has to be some level of work associated with that, beck you want to earn ten more grand and if I tell you that sitting down, you're going to be a far better opportunity to get that job if you sat down, maybe spend a couple of hours on writing a really really nice resume and cover letter. Is that worth your time? I would say so exactly. Do you know what's not worth your time? Not caring about the little things, because the little things sometimes are the really big things.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: And I know that I'm not the representation of every standard employer in Australia, but I can almost guarantee that every recruiter and every person who's ever gotten a cover letter appreciates it totally. Why not it's saying I've put more time and energy into this application than any other applicant. Yes, that's a very sexy thing to do.
Speaker 3: And who's it hurt to just chuck a cover letter in the mix?
Speaker 1: You know what I mean? And they're not going to go Beck, you write a cover letter and we did not ask for that. They're going to read it and be like, Beck, sounds like a mad dog. Well you would hope. So thank you so mud because I wrote it for you. But just basically reference.
Speaker 3: I am very sorry to hear that you just giving your experience online is very sad and it's totally really fun.
Speaker 1: Oh good, I'm glad to find it fun.
Speaker 3: But I imagine that there are some ways to get this wrong in some contest.
Speaker 1: And we really should talk about it as well, because obviously, job hopping could make you seem relatively instable. Sure instable, unstable gives you the perception of instability. Let's say that that's good. That's good. Yeah, that makes me sound real smart. That's very cheat that So frequent job changes, they might actually lead employers to think that you're less committed or you're a bit unstable as an employee. That's not good. But with good articulation and understanding and thought behind job hopping, I think that we can counter that. The next is limited benefits. So some benefits like retirement savings I your superinnuation or health care plans, they might take time to accrue a new companies or new jobs, right, and that might result in a temporary gap in coverage. So I know that in Australia we're relatively lucky because we've got Medicare, but I'm finding it more and more common recently a few of my friends have recently got new jobs and they're like, the private healthcare is included. Really one of my other friends just got a new job income protection included, okay, And I was so skeptical back. I was like, show me, like it must be dodgy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, must be trash, must be no salary or something. No, it's adjusting protection.
Speaker 1: It's a really, really good plan. And I say, hey, this is hot. Stay with this employee for the next thirty years. Okay, ten out of ten. Yeah, so that could be really important to take into consideration. Sure, Also, we should be talking about these things because if other people are getting those benefits, maybe those are things that we could negotiate. That's a very good point. The next is adjustment period. So each job change might require an adjustment period, so that would impact on your work life balance and your productivity. And I mean, I don't know about you, this is really lame, but historically, to me, nothing's more embarrassing than being the new girl at work. Oh, I hated it. I'd always be like, I don't know anybody. I need to sit at my desk twenty four to seven, I've forgotten everybody else's names, or like I'm not the most social person. I feel like you just roll in and be like, what's up. It's Beck hahaha, And I find fun. Really I hate it. I can't stand it. So we need to allocate for these adjustment period where you're going to be trained in the new role and you have to learn about the company and their culture and maybe their history. So I think that needs to be taken into consideration. And then the last thing I've got for you, Beck, is missed long term opportunities. So if you're changing jobs all the time, you might actually miss out on long term opportunities and potential rewards that come from staying loyal to a single employer. They could be long service leaf true, it could be you know, if you're with the company for a certain period of time, there are benefits that they give to you get a gift voucher. Yeah, I mean the fifty dollars gift voucher as a bonus is not going to make me stay in the job, thank you, Sharon. But I think it's important to understand what that might look like for your career because that's going to be different for everybody. Right, Like in your situation, Beck, you work in media, and job hopping around in media can be seen as one of two things. It could be she's really in demand or she's not as good as you think she is, right, but in different areas that might be seen differently, and obviously long term opportunities that come with a long period of tenure, you know, think about whether those things are really important to you, right. I don't know what they are off the top of my head, but it's a point that I've written down that I think is really important to take into consideration.
Speaker 3: Beck, that is a very good point.
Speaker 1: Are we done? I think I'm satisfied. Do you feel I'm relatively satisfied and need to get back to my TikTok comments? Though? That is so Fie.
Speaker 3: I need to jump on LinkedIn and have a little scroll.
Speaker 1: I feel like LinkedIn is where all the hot people are. I'm sorry, that's where they are. It's the true. I'm gonna go have a look, all right, She's on LinkedIn. It makes sense. Max is nothing. Have a really good week, guys, and we will see you on Friday. By the advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial advice tailored towards your needs. Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of Money Sherpa pty Ltd ABN three two one IS six four nine two seven seven zero eight AFSL four five one two eight nine