Speaker 1: Welcome to them, Christian no Common Show podcast. We need to get into a big topic today about the one of the greatest.
Speaker 2: Games to ever play. Uno.
Speaker 1: Love get about Monopoly. You can destroy a family a lot quicker. You can tear a family apart real quick with Uno. So when we had our family holiday two weeks ago, the great thing was is every day we're playing Uno together, right, And this has been like that since the kids were a lot younger, but even now, almost eighteen and almost sixteen, they still love playing Uno. We love playing Uno until it time to pick up eight or twelve, and then we hate our family members grinning and laughing at us when they all go.
Speaker 2: One, two three. So I shared a photo.
Speaker 1: Of the other day of my daughter right after she'd been made to pick up twelve. And I'm afraid to say that this little upstart was flipping the bird to me father taking a photo, and I'm the guy that laid down there or another four pick up twelve.
Speaker 2: Hate to see it, kidder, but pick up.
Speaker 1: Twelve and some people take when they're playing games really badly. I got great email the other day from someone who saw it and said, Christian, my brother, we had a huge for out when my brother took go into Jawn and Monopoly really badly he was he was ten. He refused all offers of food and drink, span swore at Mom and Dad when they came near him, and then smeared the wall with his own.
Speaker 2: Feces like he was roady in jail. We never blamed.
Speaker 1: Well, whereas who knows the game of Kings.
Speaker 3: And Queens hit your walls clean.
Speaker 1: Yes, So a lot of people were saying, though, the big thing we were talking about was that I was playing a version of Uno. I didn't know that it is actually against the rules. You're not meant to It's called stacking where you're meant to go. Everyone knows if you played Uno, you've got the plus four car for pickup four, but you can't then put another plus four on top of that, and as I did another plus four on top of that, I didn't go pick up twelve. It's called stacking. I didn't realize it's technically an illegal move.
Speaker 3: I'm shocked to know that they're in the betchual rules of Una. You're not allowed to stuck because it's the best part of the game, best putting down a draw four and then making and then going double draw four and then the absolute dizzy heights of a.
Speaker 2: Third draw four.
Speaker 1: It's great because the person that has to pick up twelve, they're fuming and it's an individual game, but everybody else has come together to destroy this person, especially before that they were down to their last card or two and it's not going to go all the way back to the start. So one of those morning, does anyone else I presume we all play with the stacks all down?
Speaker 2: I think everybody.
Speaker 3: I'll be shocked if we find anyone who's playing by the actual rules of UNO.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I just thought these were the rules. So is anyone else playing in a different version the actual rules? Do we all play stacks? We all go pick up a pick up twelve when we play the Great Uno. The other thing is that we found out is there there is actually a UNO World Championships, which are only about next with a fifty thousand dollars prize.
Speaker 2: The Christian Connell Show podcast.
Speaker 1: We're talking about one of the greatest card games you can play with family and friends.
Speaker 2: UNO.
Speaker 1: I just presumed it was the rules to play the stack version where if someone lays down the pick up four plus four and you've got one, you put another one on top of that. The next person is going to pick up eight, when if they've got a plus four they put that down, then the purse is picking up twelve.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you should also be able to stack plus two's draw two can go on a draw too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, follow way. I've just been reading about the history of Uno. It was originally developed just as an idea by a hairdresser, a barber in a tiny little suburb in Ohio in nineteen seventy one. He just did it was trying to work out or game to play with family and friends.
Speaker 3: So it's not Italian, No, No.
Speaker 2: I know, go figure all right, So we were just about arking this morning.
Speaker 1: Does everyone else play the stacks rule where you go pick up four, pick up eight, pickup twelve. Apparently it's not on the rules, but I just presume that's how we all play because it's crueler and therefore funnier.
Speaker 2: Ben, good morning morning. Yeah, we're good. So do you play the stacks rule?
Speaker 4: Yes? I definitely do.
Speaker 1: Right, So you play where it's plus four plus eight plus twelve.
Speaker 4: Yes, so I'm going to saw it. In high school, we had a Star Wars Uno deck and there was a Mace Window card in it and that was a plus ten. And we're doubled the deck, so it's normal deck in it as well as the Star Wars one and it went round the group twice. One of the guys got a plus thirty six.
Speaker 2: You hate to see it. I love to see it plus thirty six.
Speaker 3: Probably enough cards left in the Yesh deck.
Speaker 4: Well, well, we doubled the deck, but we pretty much just all just went mental and then everywhere and do you know.
Speaker 1: What, I'm happy to say that we're probably the only breakfast show in Australia we have a story about Mace Window onto the show. So thank you Ben for that. We'll give you a price for bringing about the name. That's him been said in about ten years.
Speaker 2: It is beautiful. It's a beautiful thing. Shut up, Mace Window, Leecy now, thank you very much. You call mate no way than just bye, Chris, good morning.
Speaker 5: Yeah morning team. Yes, so yeah, we used to do the stacking game during lockdown. It was to go to sort of game, you know, and we started stacking fours and then started stacking two's on top of fours, so it was basically all in. But it led to too many fights. So we've actually reverted back to the rules because everyone either throws that throws their cards in the air and storms off, and it can it can lead to quite a very especially during lockdown, a very tense, very stressful period within the household. So we've all agreed that rule.
Speaker 4: Going to play by the.
Speaker 3: Rules the family.
Speaker 6: The family, No exactly.
Speaker 5: So yeah, it's much more civilized now.
Speaker 2: So Chris, thank you very much and coiled, I have a good day.
Speaker 5: Thanks.
Speaker 3: I was happy with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's good.
Speaker 1: Plus at the stack coming soon to Channel seven. Have we got ahead, Tyrone?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: How are you guys?
Speaker 4: We're going down?
Speaker 2: So are you stacking when you play Uno? Tyrone?
Speaker 6: Absolutely not. You'd be kicked out of the house if you do that. In my house.
Speaker 2: You can't hack the stack.
Speaker 6: You can't. You can't stack.
Speaker 7: So growing up, I had a grandfather who was an avid poker player, and when my brother and I used to go around, we used to play Uno with him, and he would play strictly to the rules and he would actually he would actually do the points and everything. If we yeah, there's a full point system that you're meant to do.
Speaker 6: And how many cards you got left in your hands, and.
Speaker 7: Each the wild card and that pay fifty points, and then any other picture card is twenty points, and every other number parts.
Speaker 2: Card is just People really know how to kill fun, don't they.
Speaker 1: Mitchell plays like that as well, love their grandchildren.
Speaker 3: Granddad probably won all your pocket money as well.
Speaker 7: Might There was actually whether we could go to bed, stay up late or not, but we always just end up going to bed early. So then I used to go play with friends and they used to playing the stack rule and I used to no, no, no, you can't play like that.
Speaker 6: Well, what's that's that's not the rules?
Speaker 5: Do you know what?
Speaker 2: Knife?
Speaker 1: Who really are sticklers for reading that inside of the lead? Hang on before we start, guys, it's just let's see what the rules says he.
Speaker 2: I hate those people. Just start playing the game as your own rule.
Speaker 6: He used to pull out that big piece of paper that used to.
Speaker 2: Fold out and read why they stop putting in further, The.
Speaker 7: Only reason why I know about this is because I actually have to read those rules to my partner because she raps it if we play it, if we play it my way.
Speaker 2: He's just not.
Speaker 4: Happy about it.
Speaker 6: What do you mean you can't put it too on a FOLI.
Speaker 3: Now, tyrone, you gotta start stuck in. Get some spos.
Speaker 6: Yes that rules all the time. Rules make games fun.
Speaker 2: Guys, Come on, this sounds like your granddad The Reason on the way I am thanks you cool tur own, very funny.
Speaker 6: Thank god.
Speaker 2: Christian Connells Show podcast