Speaker 1: Have you ever thought that maybe the issue with your diet is not that you're eating too much, but maybe you're eating too little. It may come as a surprise to hear that under eating can be just as damaging to metabolism as overeating. And on today's episode of The Nutrition Couch, we deep dive the signs that you meet actually be eating too few calories for your level of activity. Hi, I'm Sussi Borrel and I'm Line Wood, and together we bring you The Nutrition Couch, the weekly podcast that talks about everything you need to know in the world of nutrition as well as under eating. We are going to take a closer look at sausages in supermarkets. Leanne has found a new low sugar dessert treat to share with us, and our listener question is all about choosing the best collagen. So I think you know. On Nutrition Couchla, we tend to talk a lot about hormones and weight control and Perry and GLP one medications, but certainly I regularly have clients to come to me who I actually work out and not eating enough for their level of training, and as such they are not reaching their fat loss related goals or body composition goals. So a lady that springs to mind, she trains heavy weights two to three times at the gym. She was a dancer in a former life, so she's got a very small frame and she wanted to lean up a little bit. But certainly, when I assessed her diet was not a case of eating too much. In fact, she was basically starving her body of calories. And that is not as uncommon as you may think, is it.
Speaker 2: No, certainly not. We certainly do. I'd say the opposite end of spectrum when it comes to our clients. Sometimes we give them a lot more, sometimes we give them a lot less. But it is a case of where less is not always better, particularly from a fat loss perspective. So there are some common signs. But I'll first start by saying, if your goal is to have improvements with your training, and I often have clients that say, you know, this is what I do exercise wise, and I'll say, great, like, how do you feel in your sessions? When was the last time you hit a bat peeb When was the last time you change up your training? And there are so many women out there who are just training for the sake of training. They're just exercising for the sake of exercising, they're not actually progressing with their exercise. So you do need to actually eat enough calories, certainly at a minimum at maintenance, if not in a calories surplus, to actively build muscle as a female, it is difficult. Muscle is a metabolically active tissue, so if your goal is to actually put on some lean muscle mass, you at a minimum have to eat it and maintenance. It's very very difficult to put on muscle mass in a calorie deficit. It can be done, but it is very very difficult and does require quite a few different little tweaks here and theres it's certainly easier to do at maintenance calories if not a calories surplus. But some of the common signs that we do see as dieticians that you are under eating. And again a lot of the time people aren't actually intentionally doing this right. They're doing this because they think they're doing the right thing. They think that less is better is more. But a lot of the times one of the biggest signs there's just that constant fatigue and low energy, Like if you are under eating, you are quite literally underfueling your body. And your body simply doesn't have enough fuel to actually support your level of training, normal metabolism, brain function, and that out on top of that, any steps you might be doing. If you're trying to push yourself harder in a session to hit a PB or run a bit faster, you're not really going to be able to do that if your body is running on empty. Think about it like putting fuel in a car. It can't go anywhere if you've constantly haven't given it enough. So I guess a big sign for a lot of people is that brain flog, poor concentration, really low energy, feeling really flat even after you've slept really well, like you know, you know, you've had a solid seven eight nine hours of sleep and you're still feeling just that persistent tiredness. That's a really common sign for a lot of us that a you either have low iron and as females, that's very common. And I laugh because I myself at the moment, despite doing all the right things as a dietician, have been told I have low iron as well, So that's always fun, Suzie. But the other one is basically I guess for a lot of women under eating can and I guess accelerate strong cravings and feeling a bit out of control around food. So a big sign that someone may be underfueling consistently is when they constantly have these really intense cravings, particularly for that what I would call more like those soul food type of things, like high energy food, sugar carbs, quite high fat snacks. So often when the body is underfed, the hunger hormones can increase and the brain can really prioritize that quick energy type of food. So this often leads to that cycle of restriction and under eating, then craving and then overeating, and that repeats in a cycle. So a lot of people kind of have the feeling that they don't have enough wheel power or they're not able to lose weight because you know they're not strong enough for something's wrong with them. But often it's an underfueling issue, and you might not be underfueling all weak, but you're certainly underfueling in periods, which is then causing that kind of out of control eating later on. So that's I guess one another common sign where it might not be that consistent underfueling, but you're underfueling enough where then that's causing sort of not ideal consequences or symptoms later on. Another big sign of underfueling is constantly being injured or sick. I've had clients that have worked with me before, like Usuuzi, where I've given them more food. They're actually able to achieve their body fat goals because again they're not stuck in that crave restrict over each cycle. But again they say to me, this is the first time, and I work in a twelve week coaching model, so over three months, in three months, I've never been sick. You know, I haven't had an injury at the gym. I'm just I'm not picking up all the coals that my kids are bringing home. And that is a big sign of underfueling's poor recovery after exercise, regularly being injured or regularly getting sick, because basically, if you're not giving your body enough calories, it can't repair the muscle tissue, it can't replenish the glycogen stores in the muscle, so that generally will lead you feeling quite sore after workouts for quite a few days, you having a decline and performance, or not able to make any sort of gains or hit new PBS within your exercise sessions and also needing longer to recover between sessions. So this is I guess a particularly common one in women who do train quite a lot but are actually underfueling throughout the day. And then another big one is hormonal disruptions, and I'll pass over to you Susie, but this is a big one we both generally see because low energy intake, whether or not it's intentional, can often affect hormones. And for women, a big one is either irregular periods or completely missing periods. That's a big one that you're probably overexercising and underfueling, and when mood starts to be impacted like low mood as I said, low energy fatigue and poor sleep as well, all of that can be more I guess linked to hormonal disruptions, which is generally due to what we call low energy availability as dieticians, or simply just not eating enough to support the level of training that you're doing.
Speaker 1: True, and it can be you know, if you're quite stricrid your diet off and not getting enough good fat, so not having sort of some extra virgin olive oil, nuts, seeds. But actually I think the key thing to look for if you train a lot, so I'm talking at least an hour a day of high intensity. If you're just even within three to five kilos of ideal weight, so you're already quite slim, but you want to take it to the next level. If you're not feeling hungry, to me, that's a sign you're under eating, because normally metabolism should work as if you have your first meal of the day and three hours later you're starving if you are pretty fit, and if you're not, chances are you're eating too little, or if you're delaying that first meal of the day until late morning again because you're not hungry when you wake up, these are all signs that quite possibly you're under eating, and that is common where people are having quite light dinners protein just invege, not much carbohydrate, no pastas, no rices, and then they continue to overtrain and stave through the morning. So for me, a very basic measure if potentially you're under eating is if you do not notice or feel hunger regularly and you're pretty close to ideal weighty, but if you want it to be a little bit leaner, So that's pretty simple al rightly, and sausages Now, I grew up in bangers and mash, and I had a client sent me a food diary and wrote, I had bangers and mash, and I was like, by really like by choice, because certainly when you're having that out at a pub, they're certainly not low fatten ly. Now, first of all, we will preface this segment by saying that we are certainly not encouraging people to eat more process meat. Sausages do generally contain nitrits, and it has been recommended by the World Health Organization that these foods be limited in the diet due to their positive link and association between increased risk of digestive health cancers. Now it's a tricky one, isn't that Leanne Because people eat sausages, and particularly in Australia, it's very Australian, the bunning sausage. You go to a barbecue. So you know, I think I wouldn't certainly not be having them more than once a week in my own house. I probably have them with the kids once a fortnight. But what I noticed when we're having people over and I go to get some from the barbecue, there is a really big range and some of them are not very good quality. So I wanted to talk about it today for budget conscious listeners, for those who are feeding children, entertaining it for that once a week, once a fortnite me or what do you look for because there are huge differences. So the first thing I would say is that for a long time in supermarkets, Peppercorn, which is an Australian company, had and I'm talking about going back to my days at the Kids Hospital around twenty years ago, and I would routinely recommend this brand because they were the leaners sausages in the supermarket. Now, they weren't low fat, but they were low in saturated fat and as so at the time had the heart foundation tick and they're still available today in both collars and woolies. They've got burger patties, they've got a lean sausage in chicken and beef. So in one of these sausages, it's just over one hundred calories, almost nine grams of protein. It's got eight percent fat overall, which is very low for a sausage because keep in mind, for a sausage to cook and texture, you need some fat and low saturated fat. So just one point or less than three percent saturated fat, and when I look at the nutritionals on those, it is the high percentage that got seventy percent, and Australian beef they've got carrot, sauted onion, and then followed by the additions to make the sausage, which is the rice flour, salt, parsley, and the sulfites which is the concern, and the mineral salts, which is the ones we want to ideally minimize in the diet. So one of the key things with the peppercorn range is that they also don't have the night traits in them. So what food manufacturers are becoming aware of is that the two fifty range of food additives, which is the night traits, are being taken out, which is the key thing. So when you're scanning an ingredient list, you want to make sure you're not seeing any two fifty food additives, which is the case for the peppercorn range and also a number of others. So these are kind of my go to gold standard Newly and you do pay a bit more for the quality. You know, these are sort of up to ten dollars per pack of seven compared to five dollars, sort of cheap and cheerful ones you might get from supermarkets, so there might sort of go to ones. Now if I compare that to the this is just the coal original beef sausages, which are six fifty, so yes, a lot cheaper, and I look at the ingredients, so they've got less. They've got seventy percent beef, so similar amount, but a lot more additives in there when I scan the list, although they do not have the two fifties in their either, which is positive. I think some food companies are taking it out. But when I look lean at the nutritionals, the fat is almost double, so sixteen percent fat and over five grams eight percent saturated fat. So that's why the peppercorn is superior. Not that they're low fat, but they've got low saturated fat and they've got a lot less fat overall than your traditional sausages at the supermarket. And that's I had a really good look at Audi sausages because I was catering for a large number of people, But in general, their fat was up to twenty thirty percent, which is just too high. They're basically sticking a lot of poor quality meat in there. So the other ones I do like, and both in coals and willise the chicken sausages. The chicken sausages are seventy six six percent chicken, so incredibly high. And when you look at the fat on them, again, similar to the peppercorn, they're low in saturated fat overall and lower in total fat, although they do contain a lot more additives. So the take home message from this segment is sausages aren't great for us. You wouldn't do it more than once or twice a week. In saying that, though, if you're getting a lean sausage without night trates, you could easily have it once a week. It's the night trates you've got to be careful of. So do a quick scan and you're looking for no additions of the two fifty night trates on the ingredient list, and then I'm looking for less than ten percent total fat and less than three percent saturated and that is a relatively healthy sausage compared to the cheap and cheer four five six dollars tray options, which are upwards of twenty thirty percent fat.
Speaker 2: And I'll just quickly add so the night traits and the night trites are two fifty two fifty one and two fifty two on the labels, so there's certainly a better option if it doesn't have the two fifties on the label. However, the World Health Organization does consider process meats, yes, if they do contain nitrates or nitrites, but also if they are smoked or cured, have added salts, preservatives, and also the other thing that can increase the risk of cancer is cooking on a very very high temperature, so if you're sort of burning or charring the sausages as well, this can then, they say, longer term, promote some of that DNA damage in the colon, which can increase that risk of val cancer long term. So it's not just about the nitrites. So, as Susie said, it is probably a better option, but it's not something we'd say, you know, we can serve up for dinner for the kids multiple times a week, because you know, they are a cheaper, more budget friendly option, but you still need to be aware that, you know, the processed meat has other factors involved in it, not just the two fifty I guess additives in there as well, and it is also very dose dependent as well, so they are saying that it's about fifty grams of that sort of processed red meat, so sausages, ham, salami, that kind of Devon Cabano type meat. Grams of that a day, anything more than that increases your risk of colorectal cancer. I think it's by about twenty percent. So it is very dose dependent. If you have sausages twice a week one week and then don't have them for two weeks, you know, that risk sort of flattens down that little bit as well. So it is sort of that how often you have it. But as you said, if you can try to choose better options, that is certainly something that's going to help you out from a health perspective long term.
Speaker 1: True true true true. So yes, have a good look at those nutritional labels, but there are a couple of ones that are particularly good and worth spending a little bit of extra money on. And I should also say that butcher sausage is traditionally not very lean, so people will say I'll go to the butcher because they're better quality, and I think that's a little bit misleading because in my experience, Butcher's sausages tastes great because they're hiring fat, so you'll notice a lean sausage because it won't cool because he's he on the barthecue. So I would argue that the butcher's ones are generally not better. Don't cute yourself into thinking that they're often a lot more, a lot higher in fat so that tastes good. All right, Anne, you've been in the dessert section and you sent me through a nice little ice block, and I thought it was time to do it since it's going to turn over into hot chocolate season pretty soon. And I have seen these. This is the Peed's frosty fruits with fifty percent less sugar. Now, frosty fruits are delicious. They were actually quite like calorie before, so having an option that's lowan sugar is certainly appealing to reduce kids sugar intake and get them off. They're super dupers, which I have to say they love now. The first thing I'd say about this is that they're nine dollars a box. That is not insignificant for basically some fruit and water.
Speaker 2: Nobody pays that. Let's be honest, we wait till they health for ues.
Speaker 1: No. I think I only buy them when they're health priced for all of them, and I wouldn't pay nine dollars for these because they are basically fruit and water. I'm going to pay to pay for ice cream. But nutritionally, the ingredients is fruit juice thirty nine percent, a mix of pineapple, orange passion, fruit water, glucose syrup sorbatoll So they're using an alcohol. Sugar is the sweetener, a bit more sugar, food acid, vegetable gum, and then some stevia to make it sweet, which gives you an ice block that contains only about seventy calories. It's got total carbohydrate thirteen point one and seven point two grams of total sugar, and I would estimate that's about as third I reckon. I usually reckon they've got about twenty grams of sugar or four or five teaspoons, So this is just over one teaspoon of sugar. Probably a delicious ice treat for the kids. So yeah, I would definitely buy these. I'd buy them for young kids if I was having a party, but I certainly wouldn't pay nine dollars for them. I'd only pay four fifty. Did you try them?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I did.
Speaker 2: They're actually really nice. So we were at NUSA, and obviously you know NEWSID prices are not inexpensive, and so the kids were like, can we go out the ice cream every day, you know, at the beach for a week. And we were sort of like, when I've gotta have any money left in our bank account if we take you up for Jelato every single day. So I went to the shops that I found these, and they were actually on dow. They were half price at four fifty. It works out to me about fifty cents that ice block. You literally can't beat that. I thought that was very, very affordable, and I just bought one box at the time, because obviously we were staying in a little holiday place and I didn't want to take them home. But the kids loved them. They were so great after the beach, like it gave them a bit of hydration. Yes, it gave them a bit of sugar. But they've been running around, you know, in the hot beach, in the hot sun for a couple of hours. Of course, very sunsafe sunscreen, hats, et cetera. You know, they were hot, they were sweaty, they wanted some hydration. So these were a really good option. They loved them. I had to bite at tillis. It was quite tasty and you couldn't. I couldn't taste that kind of artificially type taste. Sometimes you can taste in different types of like lower sugar ice cream. So I thought they were a really great option. They're also good and free, and they do contain some real fruit as well, So as an ice block option for kids, I think they're somewhere at the top of the lists, But like you, I would be waiting until they are on sale and stocking up. But you do get eight for a pack as well, which you know works out even if you were to pay full price. It works out to be only about a dollar or a dollar twenty a pop. Will consider when you take kids out of ice cream it's seven eight, nine ten dollars a serve.
Speaker 1: How much is gelato? Like six seven dollars for a tiny It.
Speaker 2: Was like eight or nine dollars each for a kid, So crazy price. Yeah, like they don't miss you. Yeah, So these are I think a really really nice option. It is sort of heading more into that cooler month at the moment, but if you do live somewhere hotter light Queensland, it doesn't cool down as quickly as down south, so we might still be able to get these in from a month or two and the kids might enjoy them. So there are big thumbs up from me. They taste really good and when you get them on sale. Really you couldn't make them cheaper at home, like fifty cents a pop. It would not be worth making yourself at home well in my opinion. Anyway, you know, I'll take the fifty cent ice block any day.
Speaker 1: True good find I like it very much. And again you can give us a little education on collagen. The question from our Design by Dieticians Instagram was how do I choose the right type of collagen? Which is a loaded question really because we're going to say our own, but take you through the science of why renew our collagen blend is nutritionally superior to others on the market and why it's a good investment for your skin. Yep.
Speaker 2: So I've got five tips for our listeners to choose the best type of collagen. You don't have to choose the design by Dietitian brand, but you should follow these tips because if you're going to invest money in a supplement, you want to make sure that it's doing what it says it will do, and you want to make sure that you are getting the best quality thing because you're actually putting that into your body every single day, So you want to make sure that you know where it comes from, where it's sourced. It doesn't actually have research behind it, is it the most effective dose for the result that I'm trying to get. So the first point I will say is to make sure that it is real collagen. So this means animal base. You cannot have vegan collagen. Okay, if you are vegan, don't waste your money. That is the bottom line here, because we don't actually have any research to show that vegan type collagen actually works or does anything from a skin or a join to a ligament perspective, because vegan collagen doesn't actually contain collagen. Side note, So the collagen that you should be trying to source is animal base, and it will either be bovine type collagen or marine type collagen. So you basically want animal based collagen. So if you are vegan, it's not something I would spend my money on if I'm being honest. If you are going to take collagen, you either want to source a bovine or a marine collagen. Now, the second tip is to look for a hydrolyzed collagen. So hydrolyzed collagen peptides, these are broken down into what we call these like smaller peptide chains, so they dissolve really well in terms of like putting it into drinks, and it just is a bit easier for the body to absorb as well. So this is the form hydrolyzed collagen peptides that is used predominantly in clinical research as well. And a lot of times people say to us, can we add your collagen to hot ta your coffee? Yes, it actually collagen dissolves better in a hot liquid than it does a cold liquid. So our preference is to always put it into like a tea or a coffee or blended into a smoothie, and we find that it gets broken down a lot better as well. So make sure it's animal based collagen, make sure it's hydrolyzed collagen peptides, and then I would always say to choose a strain of collagen sort of like a probotic that has been really studied. Okay, so not all collagen is the same. So a lot of brands, I won't say a lot, I'll say some brands which have evidence by them have used strains of collagen that have specific research behind them. So as an example, verasol collagen peptides is one of the highest studied with multiple clinical research studies behind it type of collagen on the market, and verasol is the collagen that we use. It designed by dietitians. So a lot of these clinical research studies with using viasol collagen peptides have looked at things like skin elasticity, skin hydration, wrinkles, collagen density, hair, skin nails, and that is why we chose to use that particular patent form of collagen peptides, so verasol. The other point I'll have is that vitamin C is a really helpful addition as well, because if you are taking collagen and vitamin C together, and there's certainly a few brands on the market that add that together, and we do that at designed by dietitians, vitamin C plays a really key role in what we call collagen synthesis. So actually taking your collagen with some vitamin C can help uptake that and help the body to utilize that collagen and support the body's natural collagen production as well. So it was like to recommend collagen alongside vitamin C, sort of like we do with an iron supplement, like vitamin Z helps to uptake iron, same deal with collagen. They can'd of work together almost how like calcium and vitamin D work together to help improve the absorption as well. And lastly, that consistency and the dose matter. So if you're going to take collagen, take it daily. Don't sporadically take it once or twice a week when you remember, because you're not really going to see any results. So just like creating that consistent daily intake matters, and the research really supports. If you're looking at collagen from a skin health elasticity hydration perspective, you're looking at about three to five grams a day daily. If you're looking at it from a joint health perspective, you're looking at about ten to fifteen grams a day. So if you're looking for both, obviously you'd want the ten to fifteen grams a day. So it's sort of what are you utilizing collagen four? And then you need to take that consistently, right, So this is why we chose to use varisol collagen with vitamin C as one of the most well researched forms of collagen available. It is animal base. It's like I said, it either has to be bovine or marine based to be really effective. You want to make sure it has clinical research behind it. You want to have an addition of vitamin C that's really important. And then of course you want to take the right clinical dose of collagen as well. And I've seen some brands that you know, so there's twenty or thirty grams of collagen in a serving, and again more is not better, Like if the research shows us that three to five grams a day is effective for skin health or ten to fifteen grams a day is effective for joint health, if you're taking thirty grams a day, you're just buying way more of that collagen from that brand. So to me, that's a marketing play. And again I think that buying from a brand that has integrity, that understands the science and the clinical literature is really really important because we're not going to make our clients take thirty grams a day when we know that for joint health ten grams is adequate or for skin health three to five grams a day is adequate. So I think really making sure that you understand the types of collagen. How much to take is probably going to be a good thing, you know, from your perspective and from a budgeting perspective longer term as well.
Speaker 1: Very good Leyan, you're always are good with the science. Well done, and have got the skin of an eight year old girl with all the collagen that you're pumping.
Speaker 2: It's all the collagen, not thirty grams ten grams a.
Speaker 1: Day, all right. Well, that brings us to the end of the nutrition couch for another Wednesday. Please keep telling your friends about us, and we are in the midst of organizing some events to launch us into Spring later this year, so keep an eye on our Instagram account so you can come and have a session some time with Leanne and I live and have a great week. We'll see you next Wednesday. Thanks for listening.