Speaker 1: Question.
Speaker 2: Yeah, welcome friends to the Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 1: Talking us Small and then on The Christian O'Connell Show about family secrets. She found out Jason at a family funeral. My wife found out that her uncle worked for I Six. For years, we always told he was an undercover cop. All these secrets are amazing. This is an amazing one. We found out after my mom passed away. She was a codebreaker during the Second World War at Bletchley Park. If you've all heard about what they did at Bletchie Plants, incredible they cracked the codes. Never told a soul about it, Not even my dad, her husband knew about it other than that she worked during the war and it only became released. It was then we found out about it when the Official Secrets Act. A load of rare documents came out as well backed it all up that she was a senior codebreaker. Amazing. Yeah, Christian. When I was thirty, I started getting messages on Facebook. I wonder how many of you have found out about other family members through Facebook. When I was thirty, started getting message on Facebook from someone claiming to be my sister. Found out it was completely true, Like Jack was saying earlier another family, this is an amazing one. This feels like the plot to a movie. In around nineteen thirty, my granddad died in a trench he was digging out after being hit in the head with a shovel accidentally by his best friend at the time. The best friend went on to marry and move in with my nan. Accident. Hey in quotation, that's going on with that, Jody, Good morning money, Good morning Jody. So a family secret you found out.
Speaker 3: My mom grew up with a single mum. And this is back in mum's eighty four, so a long time ago where that probably wasn't the norm. And it was only once we put my grandmother into age care and she handed over her documents. She thought her father had been dead that whole time, and when she handed over her documents, mum found divorce papers. But mom loved her her mum so much that she never investigated. So we don't know if there's other family out there.
Speaker 1: That's incredible. So her dad hadn't passed away, the divorced and the mom tuld to just rub him out the picture.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, So it was back in the Second World War, so she thought he had died in the war.
Speaker 1: I do understand also why your mom didn't want to say anything, especially when your mum's in a care home as well. You just don't want to. You just don't want to bring up all all that pain and shame. I guess around it all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, very well, very well. Could have been that, you know, the stigma of divorce at that time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so amazing.
Speaker 3: That's our little mystery that's still to this day.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And have you thought about looking into any more yourself.
Speaker 3: Jody, I certainly have, but I'm a bit like my mum. I suppose I'm respecting her wishes. She like it's her father, and she hasn't wanted to investigate, so I've left it alone.
Speaker 1: Have you done any of those, you know, the genealogy stuff like the DNA testing and the ancestry.
Speaker 3: No, we haven't, we haven't. I sort of think it's mum's story. And if mum wanted to find out, you know, I would certainly support her in that and do whatever I could. But she's obviously comfortable about it. And again it's become like a little mystery in the family because once so that the divorce papers were found and there was a bit of a discussion, not with my grandmother, but we think the immediate family, and that's the last time it's been brought up. Hasn't been brought up here.
Speaker 1: It's amazing. I think, you know, we're talking about sort of family secrets you found out, but there are I guess there are so many secrets that never ever get found out that all families have. Really Yeah, that's incredible, Jody. All right, Jodi, thank you very much for sharing that with us. No way, Well, Christian Connell's show podcast us email. I've just remembered him someone who doesn't want to come on here, but they found out their Italian grandfather who suddenly had to move to Australia was a hit man in the Matthew in Italy who came over there to height from the authorities.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: I'm now worried about what happens to when my parents passed away whenever. That is what I'm going to find out. I don't think it's exotic as that just probably be debts that have been bossed on to me. But that is incredible. All right, we're talking this morning about family secrets you found out after I found out when I was back in Britain a couple of weeks ago during the Easter break that my dad trained to be a priest for five months. Quit when you find out you can't have a girlfriend, which I thought everyone everyone knew. So family secrets? What did you find out? Nine four one four three John, Good morning, Good morning, Christian, John, what family secret did you find out?
Speaker 5: Well, Christian, I'm a man of fifty four years of ig I had my father insisted when I was a boy. He insisted that.
Speaker 2: I've become a charlesand supporter. Yeah, otherwise I was to sleep with the dog. When he died, I found a calling wood jumper and several teeth in his wardrobe.
Speaker 1: And a very old joke. Wow. Wait, that's a big family six. Do you think he was a closet fan then?
Speaker 2: Uh? Possibly?
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, John, we're gonna have to go now. It's quite a lot of gaps and we're trying to piece them together and have a conversation. John, We're gonna have to move on, But thank you for cool, Thank you question. Yeah, chat night, but we can with the show. But make a note of that he's not Sylarity.
Speaker 4: Roslyn, good morning.
Speaker 1: Yes, all right, this is control or reset the show, turn it on and off. We're back into it. Back of the room, seeing Rosalind, what was the family secret you found out?
Speaker 4: So my family secret was my father found out when he was nearly sixty that he was adopted.
Speaker 1: Wow. Yeah, you hear about this happening, don't you.
Speaker 4: But it gets better that he had worked with his little sister, his half sister, for ten years and didn't know it was his sister.
Speaker 1: Wow. What do you mean work with them? What in the same office.
Speaker 4: Or he was a mechanic or doing refrigeration stuff. And the place that she worked at was an old age center and he used to go in there and fix the appliances. And they got on very well and.
Speaker 1: H not too wellwisey. Yes, well when they were going they got on very well.
Speaker 4: Yes, they became mates and then found out that it was his little sister.
Speaker 1: That is incredible. That is some story, isn't it, Roslyn.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and everyone in the family assumed that he knew that he was adopted.
Speaker 1: Wow, awesome. Thank you very much for sharing that with us. Rawson, have a good day, thank you, Okay, bye. That's incredible. Does everyone in the family, though, assume that he knows it's your job, as the parents and the other people in the family tell him. Families are odd. No one told you that. I'm sure we mentioned it listening, Kathy, Good morning, Good morning, Kathy. What's your family secretly found out?
Speaker 6: Okay, my grandfather, when my dad and his siblings were little, went out to get the milk and didn't come home for eleven years, and nobody knows where he was.
Speaker 1: Well, the obviously sold out quite few of those milk biles and he just kept looking.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well he didn't even come back with the milk.
Speaker 3: Didn't work out well, did it?
Speaker 1: I think he found his milk, right, He just disappeared.
Speaker 6: For disappeared for eleven years, and nobody to this day knows where he went or what happened, or if he had another family. Nothing.
Speaker 1: If I just disappeared for an hour, my wife's at where have you been eleven years? I'm just going to walk in and go, oh is everyone, where have you been? In prison? An affair never came up in conversation. No, we just never got around to it. Kathy, this is extraordinary.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm sure there is a family out there somewhere, but nobody ever asked questions. We don't know whatever happened, It just got pushed under the carpet.
Speaker 1: Just turn up one day after eleven years. Pretty big baggage to sweep under the carpet. Wow, I can't stop thinking about this, Kathy, that's an incredible one. Thanks you cool, Thank you. Let's finally get Craig in. Craig welcome to the show.
Speaker 7: Thank you, Christian. How you doing.
Speaker 1: I'm good great. So the family secretly found out what was it?
Speaker 7: I was the family secret my friend so pretty much like I was adopted, and back in twenty sixteen got a mysterious letter from the government asking me to reach out with the government about so and so. Turned out my mother decided to reach out and try and connect with me, which I did, and pretty much found out that the reason that happened was like that wasn't mind our sister. They were talking about keeping secrets and stuff, and my mum opened up to her that she had a son. I'm forty seven this year, so obviously forty seven years ago that she had a son. And yeah, so we're all recently well six years ago now recently all connected again with each other. But we all lived in the same same city and stuff like that. She kind of worked in Malvern and she had an aunty who lived in Devin Meadows, which is kind of like the area I'm from, so we always were in the same vicinity, but it never knew.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and what was it like the first time you saw your your birth mother when you went to meet up for the first time, What was that like?
Speaker 5: It was?
Speaker 7: It was pretty amazing. Look, I guess for her it was kind of more emotionally. It's more emotional for her because obviously holding a secret for forty forty you know back then, well, I'm crapping mats with forty five. I guess it was more like, like I don't know how to more of a thing for her. Like to me, I was just like, because I don't always known my whole life and the guilt someone I guess could feel like forty odd years later coming out with a secret like that would be more of a shock to them. But like my sister has always supported her in that and like we like we're like now, like we've got an incredible relationship together. So it all worked out quite well. Yeah, Like you do hear some disaster stories, but this one turned out really well. Like I'm I'm still in contact with her now, mother's they coming up, obviously I might go down and play a visit there for that time.
Speaker 1: But yeah, and how did your adoptive parents feel about it all as well? It must have been hard for them as well, because there always know that moment might happen, might come along.
Speaker 7: They've always been encouraging, Like ever since I was little, that always I've always known and they were always encouraging. My adopted mother was always like, if you ever need any help finding finding your natural birth mother, that's we can go go ahead. Yeah, but I've always felt the support there. But yeah, pretty crazy.
Speaker 1: Oh awesome, great, thank you very much for trusting and sharing us with that one. It's amazing story.
Speaker 7: Thanks Risian.
Speaker 1: This is the Christian o'connells Show podcast