Speaker 1: AI is great at doing it what we tell it to do, but that can also be a problem. Instead of challenging us, it often acts like a polite, even sycophantic assistant, doing exactly as asked without pointing out flaws or blind spots. Today, I'm joined by Inventium's AI expert, Neo Applin, to explore how we can use AI differently as a devil's advocate, a creative partner, and even as a stand in audience to help spot weaknesses in our thinking and uncover new perspectives. In this chat, you are going to learn some very practical prompts to make AI your best and most useful collaborator, not just your obedient assistant. Welcome to How I Work, a show about habits, rituals, and strategies for optimizing your day. I'm your host doctor to Amantha Imba. Two years ago, I completely overhauled how I work with Genai, and I am now saving over forty hours every single week. That is no exaggeration, and that is exactly why my company, Inventium, created the Genai Productivity Upgrade. It's a twelve week course designed to move you from Jenai dabbler to productivity machine. There is no fluff, just practical strategies that will pay off from week one, saving you at least ten hours every single week. We are going to teach you how to automate the grant work, use AI as your second brain to excel at your job. Learn how to create AI agents that we knew back hours every time you use them, and so much more so. Whether you're a complete beginner or already using AI, we have got you covered. We start with prompting fundamentals and we go all the way through to advanced automations and agentic AI. We kick off on October fifteen and spots are limited. Visit inventtium dot com, dot au, forward slash genai hyphen cohort to secure your place now And yes that's a long link. It's also in the show notes. If you're looking for it and you've literally got nothing to lose, there's a seven day money back guarantee. So go to the show notes, hop on the link and join our program today. So why do we need AI to help us point out our blind spots? Like, what's the problem that it's solving here?
Speaker 2: We as humans, we're lazy. We were supposed to be cognitively lazy. What that means is if we saw everything and we did everything that we needed to do, we would run out of time and energy. So what we do is we fall into patterns, and those patterns might be we do the same thing every single day, the same way, and that's fine for some things. But when you're doing things like you know, strategy or reports or things that are different than having a different perspective and being challenged on those things is really valuable. Because AI, believe it or not, it's been built as a helpful assistant, so for some reason, it always then becomes a little bit like a cheerleader, sometimes a bit sycophantic, but in reality it'll go along with any pattern you want. So getting AI to instead of going along with those patterns, to actually challenge you and ask questions, it becomes an awesome creativity tool and helps you get out of those ruts a little bit unstuck.
Speaker 1: So how do we turn AI from being this sycophantic, obedient assistant into a collaborative kind of sparring partner.
Speaker 2: You tell it too, believe it or not, So there's different ways you can do it. By one, you can just say, hey, I want you to challenge me in the ways that I'm thinking things like that. I love using it as a devil's advocate. So it might be for a particular piece of work. You might say, Hey, I'm doing this. Here's the work. I want you to review it from this perspective. What ways can it be improved? What am I missing? Are there any things that I've gotten wrong here? Getting it to really review and critique what you're doing and provide suggestions is an excellent, excellent way to do it. Also, other ways just might be simple, which is is there a better way to do this? Or Hey, for this audience, what would they want to see that's not there? Are there other ways I can approach the task. You can ask these questions. Now, it doesn't always come up with gold every time because it doesn't know all the background and all those kind of things, but it does have different perspectives and it's up to you to go, Wow, that's a really good one. I didn't think of that, and then you can incorporate that in your work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I might say that's something I love about AI that it can help me see things from completely different perspectives and you know, put myself in people's shoes that I would you know very little about. So what tips do you have on how we can get the AI to help us really easily see things from are the people's customers perspectives.
Speaker 2: We do things for people always with clients or customers or staff members or other team members. So you can get AI to step in the shoes of these people just by telling AI who those people are and what their perspectives are. So it might be a customer, it might be a client, might be a boss, it might be a prospective persona that you might have, so like a busy person with these particular needs, a downstream user in the process. So I want you to say to AI, I want you to be in the shoes of this person. Want to look at it from their perspective? How would they look at this, What would they want to see that's not there? Which bits would they get worried about, which questions would they have, those kind of things, But really be clear about the kind of person and the perspective, and AI can really jump in those shoes very effectively.
Speaker 1: Now, a lot of listeners would be giving presentations as part of their work and trying to come up with new ideas whether that be products or services or all sorts of things. How can AI help test these things, whether it be a presentation that's pretty high stakes, or maybe some kind of an idea that you're thinking about for your customers.
Speaker 2: First, I got to say that AI can't actually be that person, can't actually be that audience member, but it can be a clue. It can be a hint as to what that person might think. So think of this as like a pre test or a sparring partner as opposed to the final boss. But you can give it that perspective. You say, here's the audience, here's a perspective they'll probably have, and then ask it where are the bits that they might find too risky, Where are the bits that in my presentation they might find boring or they might lose interest, or where are the bits that they might find surprising and they may want more information those kind of things. Also, you can ask then ask AI what the kind of perspectives are of these people, What are the jobs that they are trying to achieve, what are their needs, what are their desires, what are their goals? And then you can figure out whether your work will fit within those as well. So it's really like an empathy tool from a robot, which sounds ridiculous, but it's great as a first step before you then go to the actual human out there, so you can then potentially something have something which lands better for you and for them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's really interesting in the context of innovation work, which obviously Inventium does a lot of, and previously to really get any idea or any kind of feedback around an idea of what customers think, you'd have to spend quite quite a bit of effort finding customers, talking to them and so on. And what I really like about AI is you can almost get that first pass. Like, yes, as you say, it doesn't replace human feedback, but it is better than just going blindly into creating a business case where you haven't really put yourself in the customer's shoes. What like, do you have some go to prompts that you use when you're trying to get AI to adopt a certain persona or customer profile, Like how do you typically approach that?
Speaker 2: It depends on what you're doing, of course, but it's about giving AI the brief so this is my customer, these are the kind of needs that they might have if they've got a particular role. So I'm doing a presentation to the senior executive team. Don't just say senior executive team. Say to AI, who's on that team? Say to AI all the things you know about those people and what their jobs are and what they're trying to achieve. If you even add in things like I don't know strategies and things like that for the senior executive team, then we'll know that as well, but also stomers and clients. So you can say, these are the types of customers that we've got, Here's what they've done in the past, these are the kind of problems they've had in the past. More information you can give AI the better. But even with that, AI can still come up with some other ideas for you, which is great. So what you could say is I know very little about these people AI, what are the things that they would want? What are their drivers? We are their goals and get AI to effectively, you know, put itself in those shoes and it can come up with some amazing things. So instead of being cold and not being prepared here you're pretty warm and warm, warm to medium warm and hot before you even get in front of their customer because you've been practicing with AI, and AI is effectively giving you different perspectives from different people before you get to that final meeting, that final presentation, that final sales pitch.
Speaker 1: Okay, so a lot of different ways to use AI to help us point out our blind spots. If a listener was going to just do one thing differently today in how they work with AI, what would you recommend that be?
Speaker 2: First off, don't let AI be you me yes man, so tell it work with me, be a critical, inspiring partner, help me improve my things, and then get it to help you to review your things, just as if it was your customer, your client, your audience, and you'll be surprised of what it comes up with. Now, don't accept every idea that it has, don't accept every critique that it has because it may not be appropriate for you, but you might find that there's some amazing things in there. If you do want to incorporate with your work, you do. So don't let it be your yes man.
Speaker 1: Let it.
Speaker 2: Know what your clients and your audience are, and then take some of those pieces of advice so that you can actually improve your work.
Speaker 1: Awesome, Thank you so much for sharing such great advice. Again, Neo, thank you. I hope you are now feeling inspired to use your AI in a different way today and turn it from a sycophantic assistant into a true thinking partner that actually critiques your thinking rather than just agrees with everything that you say. If you are looking to take your AI skills up to the next level, Inventium's GENAI productivity upgrade is kicking off on October fifteen, and there is a link to more info and bookings in the show notes. If you like today's show, make sure you hit follow on your podcast app to be alerted when new episodes drop. How I Work was recorded on the traditional land of the Warrengery people, part of the Cool and Nation. A big thank you to Martin Nimber for doing the sound mix.