Speaker 1: Christ Yeah, welcome friends to the Christian o'connells Show podcast Golden Year.
Speaker 2: We're going back to the eighties this week in the Golden Year.
Speaker 3: Christian O'Connell's Golden Years nineteen eighty seven.
Speaker 1: Your move, mister Gorbachev, Tear down this wall?
Speaker 2: Nineteen eighty seven? What was teenage pats up to? Patsy?
Speaker 4: I was fifteen, I was in year nine at high school. I pinnacle year for me. Actually, I just danced in the Highland Dancing State Championships and placed, and I thought, you know what, I might retire now because you competitively go to about sixteen and then you can either drop out A lot of girls drop out and boys or teach. And so I thought, you know what I'm going to that's the next thing I'm going to do. So I set my teacher's license.
Speaker 2: Did you really have fourth of fifteen?
Speaker 4: And so then started up my own class, which was good. And what else was I doing?
Speaker 2: You were running your own hide and dance drops and my mum helped me.
Speaker 4: She'd take me along because I couldn't drive.
Speaker 2: Of course, how many students did you have?
Speaker 4: Quite a few we had, maybe I don't know twenty thirty.
Speaker 2: So you then raised a next generation, the.
Speaker 4: Next generation of dances Christas.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 4: What else was I doing? I was my love affair with radio would be gone because we were doing work experience at school, and so I did a stint at my local radio station. I thought, yep, this is for me, this is what I.
Speaker 2: Want to do. And what were you actually doing? Were you allowed in near the microphone?
Speaker 4: I was just could Actually I was in every department and got to read like the five o'clock news through the week, the five pm.
Speaker 2: It must have been a small, old crappy station experience. Nose brat in a skirt.
Speaker 3: Isn't that my dance teacher doing the five o'clock news?
Speaker 2: America has blowing up? It's fustiness, But that was.
Speaker 4: A beauty of it. You could sink your teeth into it and get a real like there's nothing like on the job experience to really see if that's what you think you might want to do.
Speaker 2: Awesome.
Speaker 4: I loved I love the people there. I was riding to neighbors and home and away. You know, it was the era of Kylie Minoque and Jason Donovan and her single I should be so Lucky was out and that was at the Blue Light Disco with our bubble skirts and lace gloves. It was like eighties overload, eighties.
Speaker 2: On steroids, Jackie boy. So this was the year you were actually born.
Speaker 3: November nineteen eighty seven. I was born and I was the most beautiful baby the hospital had ever seen.
Speaker 2: Who said that?
Speaker 5: My mom?
Speaker 2: Okay, independent source.
Speaker 3: I even got her to record the story, which she tells over and over many times in my life.
Speaker 2: I've heard this story. All right, let's even listen. This is from Jack's mom.
Speaker 3: When Jack was.
Speaker 5: Born, he was perfect. He had blonde curls, had his beautiful round face, and it was perfectly proportioned. And all the nurses would come and tell me so much so that when I went back to the hospital eighteen months later to have his younger brother, Harry, one of the nurses came up to me and said, I remember Jack. He was such a beautiful baby.
Speaker 2: Wow, your mum is a lovely, charming lady. But I am I'm sorry, mother, post called him bs on that. I remember one of those corners where you would go, I don't put this woman on air. It's like, what are the odds? And you know, what Fifteen years later she went, Oh, my god, you're the mom of the nice people baby I ever saw. How is he now? Fifteen years later, that's what she said to me. Let's not put this one through on air.
Speaker 3: Wow, the nurses still remember the most beautiful baby they ever said.
Speaker 4: Well, you were long baby, How long we.
Speaker 2: Have any proportioned? Didn't you? Patty who gets the mom to make that? Bring it in?
Speaker 4: Jack does yes, explains a lot.
Speaker 2: Also in nineteen eighty seven, I do remember this pack Cash winning Wimbledom because it was outragous, because he was like quite a wild man, packcash for stuffy old Wimbledon. He the when he won Wimbledon, he claims on top of the commentary box, the roof of it. Who are proposed to his girlfriend? It was so wildly exciting. First ever mobile phone call in Australia was made. A phone then costs over four thousand dollars, was the size of a briefcase. They were to be huge and had a battery life of no more than twenty minutes. Fast forwards to twenty twenty four, mobile phone has killed the alarm clock industry. Are you using your phone as your clock?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: I use an old stool clock.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I use the device where and I'm not going to say it anymore because every time we say one of like hey hey l hey goo, we set off people's at home.
Speaker 2: What them are you doing? There's probably about four people listening Siri. The world is like some going out now all over the world. Most of the citizen blowing away ange in the night. Everyone, some women talking to Fridays. I've been blowing out to Bendigo. The last that worries is their electric devices, said, most of them don't remember. They couldn't even upload an attachment when I was paying their bills a couple years ago. The people listening to show they've got Alexa, they beat it with rocks and sticks. That's the level of what we've got. Patsy, Oh, still got the old dial up landline?
Speaker 4: Fright, you're the one with the clock radio.
Speaker 2: Yeah, never let me down there in twenty six years, trustworthy. The average Australian spends four hours and forty seven minutes a day on your phone. That is depressing. Do you think you're both in that category?
Speaker 3: No, I'm making a conscious effort not to use mine, but before especially on chest dot com, I was racking up easily six hours.
Speaker 2: Of the modern addiction story that's this week on Australian Story on chess dot com. I was a beautiful chess player because she played that clip from My Mum. The Christian O'Connell show podcast. We're doing the Golden Year this week. It's about nineteen eighty seven, the year that well I was fourteen pounds of fifteen. Jack was born and it's been regaining us that he was a baby first trap nurses falling in love with this as he described himself as the perfectly proportioned baby, not the Thetruvian man, the the Trivian baby.
Speaker 3: This is just what the nurses at the hospital with s.
Speaker 2: This is just science talking here, Okay, this is just actual truth and science talking here. He will be the one that all future babies are measured against, and if they're not these measurements, they are not the Golden post baby other stuff. In nineteen eighty seven, the Golden Girl shown in Australia for the first time. Thank you for being a friend back when this uncher in eighty seventh they were flipping old bare Yeah, your heart is bold and the Beautiful aired in Australia for the first time, and then this came into the world as well, stud as an animated short in the middle of the Tracy Oman comedy show in America, The Simpsons. As you know, we've inherited quite a budget crunch from President Trump. How bad is it, Secretary Van Hutton, We're broke. That's from nineteen ninety nine. They've predicted Trump becoming the president many many years late. In twenty sixteen. I think it's one of the longest running comedy TV shows in the world. To Simpsons, how many seasons do you think it's still going for? Thirty four, thirty six? Jenny a nose in the pub quiz a couple of weeks ago, and it was one of the questions about how many seasons thirty six season and still going as well. A couple of the things nineteen eighty seven, did you watch Three Men in the Baby Patch? Yes, yes, this was Hue. This movie. Three incredibly eligible men hoping to meet some incredibly perfect women. So many way.
Speaker 6: Now at last they're about to find that wond girl who will sweep them off their feet.
Speaker 2: That's a movie. It's a baby, of course, it's a baby. It's you a movie. Also, it was the year that Dirty Dancing came out. Nobody Q Patsy's swooning. Now this.
Speaker 4: Movie of big decade.
Speaker 2: I would put lethal weapon, throw shade all over Dirty Dancing. Lethal Weapon. I remember seeing that cinema in nineteen eighty seven. Of My Mates was such an electrifying movie. It was the real biggest when Miles Gibson McCain the world's biggest movie star that year. Such a funny, smart action movie. And it was also Good Morning Vietnam. And you've seen the next one I also came out in eighty said, which is an amazing movie. He's got Kevin Costner and Sean Connery and the Untouchables. Do you remember I made you watch it? You hated it? It's a great movie. And then do you remember I remember getting this sound from Blockbuster Video store watch it my friends Stakeout Emilio Estevez and Richard Dravis. Great comedy from the eighties. And then the other big TV show in Australia still going strong these days, Rage Wow Child Silk big music show.
Speaker 3: The hours I spent watching this show and then on Saturday night they would have a guest programmer, so a band who was traveling in Australia would pick all the music video clips from midnight until six A.
Speaker 2: So who do you remember seeing on?
Speaker 3: I would watch all my favorite pump bands, the Offspring and NORFX. I would set the vair chs as well, so tape it and watch it the next day.
Speaker 2: How cool? Yeah, this is a bit from when Metallica even guests hosted.
Speaker 7: Hither we are the Better Half of Metallica.
Speaker 2: I think we're playing Matt one I VHS tapes here thing, let me just put it back in. Please be congree wined.
Speaker 7: Hither we are the better half of Metallica and we actually are going to be here all freaking night, believe.
Speaker 3: It or not, to host feeding you hot metal video for.
Speaker 7: Metal videos and some other kind of cool ass stuff we did that you're going to learn to dig, as well.
Speaker 2: As when Freakin used to think that was real edgy stuff. Oh CC, mister rock Star.
Speaker 3: Although it felt like they had the first take and then someone behind the cameras that you can't so on the ABC.
Speaker 2: In Australia and I'm guessing so was the Rage rated A fifteen mature content.
Speaker 3: Overnight they would play, Yes, even the music clips was wearing in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Listen to some of these people then who have done the guest programmers over the years, Billy joel Ice, Q Beck Slash, Dave Grold, Green Day, Moby Outcast, Coldplay, Art, Chic Monkeys, Meat Loaf. Also in nineteen eighty seven there was a massive search operation for the Lockness Monster. Now I know even Hamish Nandy they did a special jidn gap year they did. We were trying to find NeSSI were you with him? Were there in what.
Speaker 3: Was it would have been two thousand and nine. Yes, we started looking for Locknest Monster.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's when I first met the boys went over doing that Locknest Monster. If you're not familiar with this, do you know much about the legend lo Nest Monster? Patsy a little bit? Yes, Well, they believe up in a shoes of lake in Scotland, Locknest, that there's a monster underneath it and has been for years. And if you've ever heard any of the eyewitness accounts, it's mainly from Scottish people often who do boat tours of the Lockness area.
Speaker 6: This trial man on the twenty fourth of for July, I was bear in mind he's seen a monster, all right, and it sounds like he just knocked on his door and he's just telling you about a boor and walk here yesterday.
Speaker 2: So yes, a large monster there. Marine.
Speaker 1: On the twenty fourth of for July, I was sitting in my room looking out directly onto the loch. Now the following day we're having the World Clan gathering of mcclennar's and logans. So the cloan sectory came into the room to discuss us with me, and Luke said, look out there at point monster. And here was the monster of its great big humps, quite clearly, moving around for about three or four minute.
Speaker 2: If you measure this guy's heart right, it ain't getting about three look humps? What are the odds of that? The Christian O'Connell show podcast The Golden Year. This week is nineteen eighty seven. I've got a bunch of the biggest hits of nineteen eighty seven, Jack and Bats taking each other and you can play along. Two. They're just gonna hear one second clips from all these big songs. Patsy, are you ready?
Speaker 6: You bet?
Speaker 2: I look less monster gotchas.
Speaker 4: The button and obviously not properly. You bet I'm ready because this is in my genre. You're just away, baby, jack.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm quaking him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you better make give it ten seconds? Have you have another sledge? Ready? Are you ready? Patch? Yes? I am there we go, shut the gut. That's so good, Jackie boy, you're ready. He's in a baseball today, he's American, all right? One second? Winning from nineteen eighty seven? Who's this?
Speaker 4: Oh that's Kylie Me and I do the like emotion.
Speaker 2: Even a little flourish there and a Patsy's strong song. What about this from nineteen eighty seven, one of the biggest songs. Oh yeah, that's huge.
Speaker 3: Way Streets have No Name?
Speaker 2: Half a fair enough.
Speaker 4: Right album?
Speaker 2: God?
Speaker 4: I love that album.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Jungle, Yes, well done, Guns and Roses, well done? All right? What about this surre Can pats you'll know this one? Oh?
Speaker 4: Yes, bum Bumby movie.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's right.
Speaker 4: Richie's gonna Richie story. I was gonna say, Richie Barber, Richie.
Speaker 2: Rocky bo is Less, You're gonna fight me, brother, Gary Music, Mexican boxer.
Speaker 4: He did something with the Wiggles too at one point, didn't he? I think like a guest appearance anyway.
Speaker 2: You're talking about the actor that played Diamond finished right, Lou Diamond, Yes, I think he did. Actually were quite right back? Yeah, Lost Lobos? Do you remember the lost low Bos? This is huge on this album as one of LaBamba. All right. Another big song from nineteen eighty seven, Oh yes, the world as we know it? I don't see all right? Tim want to go?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, Faith?
Speaker 2: George Michael Pancy so quick instant all right? Last one then from nineteen eighty seven.
Speaker 4: Dance with someone Whitney Huston.
Speaker 2: Or someone never you want to say Patsy hues Win there, Patsy hughes Win, all right, after the seven o'clock news, Which one of these do we want to play? R? E. M. Whitney George Michael U two streets have no name? What do you fancy?
Speaker 3: I would like to play Faith, but the Olympith version.
Speaker 2: Okay, that is never going to happen. And also you lost. This is the Christian O'Connell Show podcast