Speaker 1: Podcast Unite our Voices. This podcast is brought to you by on Track Studio. Welcome to Yannia, the podcast that showcases First Nations stories and conversations to help us learn and unlearn Australia's history to work towards a better future. I'm your host, proud barber woman and founder of Black Waddel Coaching and Consulting, Caroline cow. We acknowledge the rundery people and elders where this podcast is taped, but we also acknowledge the lands that you are listening in from today. It always was and always will be unseated aboriginal and tourist Red Islander Land. Well, I'm super excited about our next falla who's joining us on the show show. I feel like it's been a pretty heavy time and I was thinking about today's record and I just felt this like immense sense of joy and lightness kind of come over me because I'm so excited to be sitting down with Jalen Sutcliffe, a Fallow from Northern Queensland, a countryman from where I'm from. And yeah, I'm really excited just to connect with you brs, So thank you so much. Welcome to Yarning up.
Speaker 2: Thank you Mom for having me. I'm excited to be here. When you sent the questions out and was like, hey, you want to come on, I was like, yes, yeah, I was very excited to come on for a answer. No, it's good to be here.
Speaker 1: Oh, thank you, my bro. I mean I've been following your work and your socials and what you were doing in comedy for a long time. But I was really taken aback because I was at event the Followship program, you know, shout out to Culture his Life and Arnie Binn and Madelyne and far and the crew, and you just radiated this joy and energy and this yeah, this this energy that I was like, yeah, I've got to get this follow on the show. I think he's going to be not just good for my spirit, but for our listeners and the mob too. So yeah, yes. And I also want to say thank you because I understand you are coming off the opening night of a show which I really want to talk about. It's like zombie, So thank you for being here, particularly in spite of that. As we do on this show, i'd love you to sort of start by, yeah, can you introduce yourself your mob and just tell us a little bit about yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah for sure. So my name is Jalen Sutcliffe. Born and raised in towns with North Queensland, but my mob's Durumble and calculture and on my mother's side and Papa New Guinea and on my father's side, so from the Moribe province there up in New Guinea. Yeah, I guess I'm a musician, comedian actor, what else is there? I'm trying to part time dancer only after I've had a few and yeah, I guess I started started everything once I kind of left high school, moved down Heater Brisbane to study for three years at the Aboriginal Center for Performing Arts up here. So I had started in music and kind of music was the passion. And then I kind of found my way into Deadly Funny, which is also another branch of the Melbourne International Comedy Festival that highlights and showcases up and coming comedian first Nations comedians across the country. So I got a taste of that and that was my first time ever doing stand up and had the opportunity to go down to Melbourne and take out the national final. So did that and then I've also had the opportunity to work with Annie Debra Cheatham with Short Black Opera. So I got the chance to perform in Pekan Summer that was on it at the Sydney Opera House a couple of years ago. So yeah, So within that timeframe that was all still living down here in Brisbane and kind of just getting an understanding of the industry and figuring out everything and how it all works and kind of yeah, going from there, and then the University of Tasmania did a gospel course with us at Akpa and after the court, after the gospel intensive, they were like, hey, if you want to you know, if you's are interested in studying further or just want to test yourselves out and come to UNI, then you know we'll help you, will support you is when you come down, will help you, you know, look for accommodation, look for work, help you get into the degrees want to get into as well. If if it's not in the musical stream, then whatever that may be at UNI if you are interested. So yeah, a couple of us ended up moving down to Tazzy to study at UNI and then I just recently graduated last year the year before the Bachelor of Music. So within that timeframe of living down in Tazzy for a couple of years. I got to work on Black Comedy, doing the writers' workshops and then being a mainstay actor for season four, and then did a few little extras things on rose Haven, which is another show on ABC that's based down in Tazzy, which is which is pretty funny with with Celia and Luke McGregor. And then yeah, getting the chance to be on Bay of Fires as well, which is pretty awesome getting to there was a lot of heavy hitters, Australian heavy hitters in that show, which it was awesome to kind of rub shoulders with and meet and have dinner with at night time and just you know, hear their stories and just see how how cool they were with everything and just being able to have after all the big roles that they've done and people they've worked with. And then finished that and then decided to move back home. I thought, I think I just needed a break from everything and just wanted to come back home and just have a reset and refresh and be back with family, and so I was really really looking forward to finishing up down and Tazzy and and making the trip back up home. It was myself and one of my other brothers, Leroy, Tipo Laura, who's a little Tea We follower, but he's a deadly performer in his own right. And we've sold everything and hired a car and traveled all the way up the East coast back up to Queensland together. Was the crazy trip. The longest we did it and I think a week and a week and a half, so we were we were fairly cruising it up that highway. We made it safely. I dropped him off in Bayron Bay with his family there, and then I it up the rest of the way by myself to Tangill. So yeah, we made it back. And then as soon as I got home, it was like, oh wait, it was just kind of lifted off my shoulders and I was like, oh, all right, I'm home. Now I can kind of relax for a bit and catch up with family and help out where I can and just just be home for a little bit and catch up on miss time. Think I'm ready to leave again. I feel like everyone's getting sicking me out there, but I'm yeah excited for I guess what's to come next. Not sure what that is after this show he slays Zombie, but yeah, just kind of taking everything as it comes, and yeah, just excited for what's next on this on this journey in this crazy industry.
Speaker 1: Wow, my bro. I mean, look, firstly, I just want to, Yeah, shout out to your multi clans and your moms, and shout out to both your heritages. And yeah, for someone who has left high school and gone on to UNI, you sure have accomplished a lot, my bro, in featuring in all these shows. And it was interesting, I guess to hear you say that it all started out with you performing like singing, and that led to comedy and theater and TV. You know, I want to I want to take it back to the first time that you performed, I guess in front of people. Can you talk to us about that experience and what was going on for you that sort of put that fire in your belly to go on and do all of these real, proper deadly things.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I think the first time. I think the first time I performed would have been I think it was in high school. I think we had there was I went to an all boys school in towns called it Ignatius Park College. So myself and Tristan mother Bala that was on the Culture's Life program. We both went to high school together and grew up together. So where we're bungees, I guess lovers Nagai. Yeah, So we went to high school there in Townsville, and I guess our kind of little group, our little mob that we all had. We always had a guitar or a ukulele, and we were always jamming in our multicultural room. That's kind of where well, that was our safe haven for mob, so we was always always in there, just jamming away and playing. And then I guess one of the teachers must have walked past and put us forward to do an item of singing one of the assemblies. I think we sang it one of our Mother's day assemblies that I think it was a song for Mama from the boys to men. I think they they that one. So I think we ended up singing that, and that was my first time performing, and I think at that point it was very much at an all boys school is kind of like sports and footy and theater music and isn't kind of as strong of a heavy hitter at unis oh sorry and high school. So yeah, we got up and saying that, and at first I was because I think I think back then I sounded like Tucker when I used to sing. I thought I was the earliest.
Speaker 1: But you got so much confidence at that stage didn't matter, does it.
Speaker 2: And yeah, that's that's it. I think everyone, all of them boys, did us up, but I think we sounded like trash, but everyone was sitting there clapping along like, oh that's cool, that was awesome. But yeah, I think it was the first time I started to understand what what shame was as well. So I was, yeah, that was kind of my first like, oh, no, I don't want to do that. That's shame, that's that's not that's not us that we don't have to do this while we're doing this for that's silly. It's all those thoughts started coming into my head. But then as soon as we've done it and every one was clapping and cheering and yahoo, and I was like, oh, actually this is all right, I don't mind. And then so, yeah, that was kind of my first memory of I guess performing like properly performing in front of people, being silly at home doing stupid things, and then yeah, it kind of went on from there to get into school musicals as well. They we were in a little tutoring program for MOB at the end of the day. We used to go up there just for the food because they had they had free food and cordial but we homework. But really we were therefore after and they had auditions on for it was Beauty and the Beast, my first school musical I did, And so we walked down and like sussed out what what it looked like, because the teachers were all like, no, he's it coming. If he's not come, then new mob. But we're going to put you on detention because you should be any of just doing this. And we're like, no, miss sir, that's silly, what's wrong with you? So we went in and had a look and we've seen everyone and there wasn't a I think there was only two other black faces in there from one of the other all girls schools to two sisters there, and we was like, nah, stuff that, we're not staying in there. We're not staying there with all these migglers. We turned around and started walking down the hallway back to the tutoring room, and then all three of them teachers walked around the corner and they're like, oh, oh, this is perfect time. Is it here and now well done? Well, I guess he's got to turn around to come back and audition. We're like no, but we ended up doing it, and it was It was probably one of the maddest first experiences of like just a high school musicool, and it was Yeah, I had the best time. And that's kind of from then on, I was like, oh, this performing thing is pretty pretty fun. I think. Yeah, that's kind of where it all started.
Speaker 1: Great take music from Boys to Men to Beauty and the Beast. It's definitely like songs that and times are absolutely slaps, but yeah, I mean it's it's deadly to hear that you push through some of that shame and that feeling of maybe vulnerability, and on the other side of that is this like really beautiful feeling like I just did that, and you know, to see that you kind of, yeah, push through that feeling to lead you where you are is pretty deadly, my bro. Yeah, yeah, and it's nice to hear that, Like, yeah, being a part of like other friends and communities and peers who are also kind of going down that path as well. I mean, I'm curious to know were you always the performer in the family growing up. There's always one, I think, or maybe a handful. But you know, thinking about your family, like are they all performers and musicians or is it just you? Where does it come from? Do you think?
Speaker 2: I think I like to think it was just I think at the moment since I've been born, it was. I think it was it was just me growing up. I was so I think I was always the one kind of g and all the cousins up and being silly and doing stupid things to make everyone laugh. And so I think I've always kind of had that funny bone in my soul. But I think there's there's been a lot of performers in in our family. There was our great great grandfather uncles. They everyone called them Uncle Paul and Uncle Dudley. They were musicians back back in the day and around the time of when the tent Embasy was going on and kicking up, and there was a so when when we were doing the we were doing a week long intensive with Short Black Opera, and we had the opportunity to record with Uncle Archie roach last album that he did, so we got the chance to be like the kind of little gospel choir in there. And there was always this yarn through the family that Uncle Paul and Uncle Duddy had kind of helped Uncle Archie out of his tough times and kind of got him into music and playing guitar and singing and everything like that. And I've always been like, if I ever get to meet Uncle Archid and you know, I'm to ask him the question and see if you know, if the if the yarns are true, because you know, mob goes sometimes I just been yarn, just to just to spin a yarn and little.
Speaker 1: Bit of spicy male on there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's it. And so we finished the recording and I went up to him and I was like, Hey, I'm Jalen on this and that such and much. And I was like, I don't know if you if you remember this, these follows Paul and Dudley Meredith and he was like, oh I don't. He just went on a big, a big were yon there and was telling me about him and how they helped him and everything they done, and I was like, wow, that's that's that's insane. So yeah, I ended up and I was like, I know everyone been asking you for a photo, but councters get one, Yeah, which was which was a real spinout because I was like, man, wow, this is like, that's that's cool. It was. Yeah, it was kind of felt like a full circle moment in a in a sense of like, oh, that's it's true, like this young is true, which is pretty deadly. But yeah, there's I guess that's kind of the only performers I've kind of heard of, I think in our family apart from then, there was my great grandfather, my NaN's dad, who was a boxer or ten boxer and everything back in the day Jack Hassen. But yeah, that's apart from that. I think I feel like if they watched this, someone gets struck down.
Speaker 1: Oh well, my bro. I mean that's so deadly to hear that you got to perform with you know, the late uncle Archie Roaches, you know, an icon for our community. And yeah, I mean what was that experience like for you? I mean, it's so deadly to hear the connections, Like you say, it's so full circle. You never really know what legacy you're carrying on from your old ones. But yeah, what was that like for you? In meeting and singing alongside somebody so so important for our communities?
Speaker 2: Oh moments moments I'll never forget. Yeah, it was Yeah, it was special, really really special, just to just to be in the room with him and just to kind of feel the energy that just exuded out of him when he walked into a room and he didn't have to say anything. He just walked in and everyone knew what was what was going on, and it was Yeah, it's powerful. He didn't have to say much either, it was just really really softly spoken. Really yeah, just nice. I just like there, he's like, just you see me. You just want to give him a big hug.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, it's so beautiful. Like to hear you say that, I've had the privilege of being in a sort of intimate setting with him and I can yeah, I know what you mean about that, that presence and that he feels like everyone's uncle a in that space, even the Mingaloo's there, you know. So yeah, that's so beautiful. It's so interesting you're saying about that. Like in our family, this is how old I am.
Speaker 2: Broke.
Speaker 1: So, I know you're a lot younger than me, but I'm one of six and I was a bit of the performer, going up part in theater and dancing, but I never Sadly, I never sustained it like you, and I often think about what my life would look like if I had have continued to pursue the arts and not gone down the whole counselor UNI having to do something with my brain and was more heartlet and in my heart and in my body. But I used to have to set up the video camera to do performances and then watch them back on the VCR. And I'll never forget, like I know, that's how old I am. And it's funny like in the last few years, we've gone through like some of our old stuff and we found all these old videos of me singing, performing, and I was like, oh my god, true god, this is so embarrassing. But yeah, that's certainly how old I am. We didn't have cameras back then, and my family was so sick of having forced performances that I would just do solo shows for one. But I was actually yarning with my Aunie when I was up in country last year about it. And because my little niece, Ivy, she's into all this performing and dancing and especially tap dancing, and I used to do tap dancing and my nun was a tap dancer. Before she was a domestic she was like an amazing dancer, And so you just think, what are we taking on? You know, we often think about I guess a lot of the struggles and the trauma we'd take on, but we also get these beautiful gifts and talents too that we just sometimes don't know. So I love that connection with your uncle, your great uncle and Archie and now you. So that's deadly my bro. Will be back you mob right after this short break. I want to sort of circle back. You know, you have done quite a lot of things in your young career, I would say, you know, from Black Comedy, Debate of Fires, to rose Haven Paper Dolls to this new It's a Zombie, Straight from the Straight, both on TV and theater. You know, I want to know what's been the most memorable moment for you, or memorable moments on stage or on set. You know, what's something that's really reminded you that you love what you do and has stayed with you in this process.
Speaker 2: I think it was I think maybe during Straight from the Straight, just the the understanding of the story and the meaning behind the story and how much power the story has and what we had what we had to do to put it on and the weight that we carry to get this story out for for them old people and for the Toy Straight Islands. I think once as soon as we hit that stage on opening night and you could just hear everyone screaming up in the crowd and whistling out and singing, singing back the songs that were in the musical as well, I think that was one of those moments where I was like, this is where we're doing something right for the people, and yeah, everyone was a powerful first opening for that show as well being it being a sold out season, but just with the show, the show had been in works for thirteen years plus I think, and so to finally now be on a stage, I think, yeah, being having the honor and privilege to come in and help bring this story to life with myself not being a torch right on the person, to have the honor to help bring that story across and yeah, and to to get that kind of the love from the old people and all the molders that were sitting in the audience that come up to us after and said thank you for this show. And my my father's, my uncles were on them on that railway and it was all it was all love, and I think it was one of the Yeah, that was probably one of the moments where I was like, this is this is why I love performing, and this is why I love kind of doing doing what I do. And it's yeah, especially for our people too, whether to straight or Aboriginal or POC or any any mob. I think just yeah, it was it was a special moment. So yeah, I think that's probably that's probably one of them. But there's so many to pick from.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, like so as I understand, and you know, I'd love to sort of unpack it, but as I understand straight from the strait was sort of like based on true stories of people who had left their islands to come to the mainland for work and to you know, find opportunities through through that often exploited as well, as I understand, you know, there's lots.
Speaker 2: Of wages they should have.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, can you tell me a little bit around so you said that this is sort of like thirteen years in the making, Like, yeah, can you shed some more light on, like, yeah, what the show was about and what it was trying to, I guess portray to the people who were there in the audience.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, So the show was was in the in developments for thirteen plus years, just kind of getting the stories right and kind of creating the music and creating the characters, and I think finding time to sit down with those uncles as well and have them beyond with them because they'll getting old now. A lot of them have passed too, So trying to yeah, trying to be able to get there, get their stories and their memories, to be able to put it on paper too, I think was a big thing in the development stages. And then the show itself was about the when the toy shot on, the man left the straights and went to move move down to the mainland to work on the railway. They come across on a on a lugger boat and they'd either find work in the cane fields and then other make their way from the cane fields into the into the railway lines. And some of them made it over to wa to work on this railway. This rail from put headlinto Matt Newman I think, or Matt Newman called Helen one there, but it was Tho. It's in between those two those two towns over in western Australia and they ended up breaking the world record on May eight, nineteen sixty eight. I think they laid seven point two kilometers in eleven hours and something in it, so they had, Yeah, they had broken the American record by lunch, and then I think the record, the world record was then broken after that they and they didn't there was yarns that they didn't stop the clock when it was a break. They kept the clock running too, so I think it would have been a lot quicker if they had stopped the clock then. Yeah. So yeah, a powerful story about them leaving the islands, a lot of them not even making it back to the Straits. They would stay stay over in Wa, So yeah, it was kind of the struggles of when they would leave the islands, and the struggles with the women also then had to face, yeah, not having their companion there by their side with them to do day to day activities and help out around the house or on the islands or so yeah. And then also the intricacies and struggles of men from different tribal groups and clans all coming together to go and work on this railway together. So it's a story of brotherhood and yeah, coming together from all different nations, whether that's toe shot on the Aboriginal, they had Yugoslavian brothers on there. There was a whole melting pot of cultures. So yeah, it was it was special to be able to represent all of that and all that story.
Speaker 1: So gosh, wow, min Bro, I'm just taking that on in a I mean, how powerful to be a part of something that yeah, users, I guess performance, but with like ancient stories and honoring people's stories in that way. And do you just imagine the ferocity in which they were working to be able to do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the them men were built different. They were a lot of the photos we were given from I think it was the Queensland Queensland Library, I think they had a lot of the old photos and so they they were always up wherever we were. They were up in around the room. So every time we were breaking down characters or just needed a bit of inspiration, we would they would always be there watching us. So them men were chiseled by the ancestors because they were there was a lot of us were looking at me especially, I was looking at their photos and stuff that I couldn't Yeah, that too strong work like that, That's just insane, and they were just they would be shirts off, shorts off, just in their jobs working on that railway with boots. Yeah, work boots on just because it was that hot over there as well. So yeah, it was the same the conditions they worked under two and still worked that fast and efficiently. And yeah, it's just something about being black.
Speaker 1: That the power of our blackness, as Barker says, But you know, it's sort of like one of those things that I get proper wild in my work because you know, I'm really passionate about burnout. Because people had this like narrative that black follows are inherently lazy, but we are the hardest working people. And all about infrastructure is back on the back end of black and brown you know, enslavement and labor and poor qualities of labor. And like even my mum, for instance, she was born in a sugarcane field. She didn't even go to hospital because my nan was clearing the roads. We're getting ready for trains and train tracks and infrastructure because they were just working to the bone literally, And so we owe a lot of thanks to people like that who have created what we have now, Like in civilized society, I guess quoted now, But wow, my bro, how special, what a special special project straight from the strait? How amazing? Yeah? Was it emotional for you? Like did you find like yourself feeling a bit emotional during the process, Because this is this sort of art of storytelling that would be really unique for people of color or black fellows or you know, people from the Toro astraight. It is like it's like this sort of expression, but it's also like honoring a sacred like calling or responsibility. Yeah, did you find it emotional along the way for you?
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, it was? It was. Yeah, it was an emotional rollercoaster that show. Because we had the amazing Annie Nadine McDonald. She was our director and she just laid down the law from the get go of what this story means, and she really embedded that that sense of hard work into us to help find them characters and to help us understand what it would have really been like back then, and the just the a lot of the real yucky moments in the show where it's like, you know, as them follows, we're not free now, but them Follows still couldn't be free back then, Like they had needed passes to go to places they couldn't leave without those passes or else that get locked up or sent back to the island somehow we're thrown on another boat or like it was just yeah, insane, and I think, yeah it was. It was a powerful, powerful and emotional couple of weeks. But we were all together in this this hotel as well, so we were we'd always be eaten together, we'd always be the sharing stories, getting closer, So it was on that type of emotional level. It was really really tight knit too. So when we got into the restal room, we were building on that that friendship and that brotherhood and that sense of family as well. And yeah, understanding also that a lot of them didn't even make it back home to their families, so having that that feeling of of not ever seeing your family again after you moved down to work. So yeah, it was, it was. It was. It was tough some days, but it was just really powerful in everything we did. So it was, Yeah, it was. It was awesome.
Speaker 1: Well, mad respect to you and all the people that shared their stories and pulled that together too. Yeah, honor what was and to do it in a way that is meaningful and respectful, and yeah, it's a beautiful thing. Thank you for sharing that, Mi bro.
Speaker 2: It's always always loves sharing the yarns, the straits, the stories for the show, and yeah it's special.
Speaker 1: Well I mean switching gears. I don't know, but I know that. So last night was opening night for another show which you've just started, Eat Slay Zombie. Tell us about the show, what's going on, what can people expect and coming along and seeing.
Speaker 2: You you can expect us to slay zombies. There's dance sequences, there's a lot of comedy, a lot of black humor in the show. So it's a story about a zombie apocalypse that breaks out in Brisbane here and it follows the story of two sister girls that have been titters their whole lives, but since the outbreak, they've been bunking down in a in a bowling alley and they've been kind of bunking down here and they've been fighting zombies. And then my character comes along and kind of shakes the tree up a bit between them and the relationship and makes one want to go find the people and the other doesn't want to biro me because I'm coming in here and luck with the feathers and she kind of just wants to stay in the bunker and because that's that's all they've known, and that's that's safety for her character as well. So yeah, but it's it's really it's really really fun. It's kind of like a older sister's little brother type of relationship. But yeah, it touches on a lot of a lot of issues that mob faces, especially in today's day and age, and but it's kind of doesn't hit it with the whole doom and gloom of those yarns. So it's it's really Yeah, it's really nice, deadly play written by the amazing a Linta McGrady, known as About Us Mother on socials. She's also a deadly performer musician in her own right as well as performed with Hot Brown Honey and Yeah, she's insane. She she wrote this, and I think she should write more.
Speaker 1: Yea, I love it. This is what I love about Blackfellows too, Like the light and shade between what you do and so you know, I have something like, you know, quite clean net like straight from the straight very important. But then also to think about the apocalypse and its links to like yeah, colonization and being funny and silly and carrying on is also really important. We need we need all those stories and all that versatility around it. How deadly that sounds, That sounds like something worth going along? When can you maybe shout out some details? When is it running from where people see it?
Speaker 2: It's a it's a short season, but yeah, it's it's running from Uh So we opened on Wednesday. Remember're going till We've got a show today and then a show tomorrow at Quebec in the Carimon Theater here in Brisbane from yeah, sixth to the ninth. So we've got a show tonight and two shows tomorrow and then they're all finished. Though hopefully it goes on to it because I feel like it deserves to be seen by the rest of the country as well. Yeah, story about two staunch sisters and then my character is just therefore just for a little bit of comedic relief that represents the sisters and the strength of women out came within our people and the power that they hold that all you might So yeah, it's it's deadly.
Speaker 1: Oh deadly, bro. I really hope it does take taking a national sort of tour and we all get to see it all all around. So called Australia. I mean, bro, I'm curious to know you know what? I got two questions, I guess too pronged. You know what what is performing like? To think back to getting up on stage, feeling shame, singing some boys to men to now you know, being a part of this like rich tapestry of performance in Australia, bringing black stories and magic to the stage. You know what has performing taught you about yourself? And what advice would you give any young fellows who are feeling a bit shame and don't want to get out of their comfort zone, you know, to maybe think about exploring themselves through the arts.
Speaker 2: That's a good one, I think. I think for me, performing has taught myself too to be free and to let go. And yeah, I think those are some of the big things because with I guess with acting as well, you kind of you can put on these characters and live out a different, different style of life with with who you're playing. So being able to have that freedom with characters as well and with performing on stage and I think it, yeah, it allows you to to free up your body and to free up your soul to just have fun and just not worry about all the stresses of life and the colony and everything else that is tough with being black. So I think, yeah, that's probably probably being free and just being able to let go and let loose on stage. I think is is what I've loved about performing, and I think, yeah, what performing has done for me. And then advice for young mob that would want to get into the arts and do some things and drop the shame game, I think, I think you just you just got to do it. I think there's yeah, I don't know, I think there's you can kind of tiptoe around it and you know, break things down and kind of get into stuff in the community and just kind of get out there and do daily things that can kind of help break down that shame if you're not one to kind of just kick it in the gut straight away and be like, I don't want to be shamed no more, because it is. It is a tough thing. Shame carries a lot of a lot of weight with us as black people, and so it's tough whether that be shame to do this, shame to do that, shame for your body, shame for anything else that you might have going on in your life. So it's just yeah, trying to find ways that you can kind of navigate it and break it down for yourself, especially for our younger generations that are coming. I mean, I'm still young now, but all them young young ones that are that that are coming up through that are going to be the ones to really make the change. I think, yeah, just to you just got to drop it. There was a scene I did in Bay of Fires where I've come straight out of the water, out of the ocean and I'm holding onto a little boy that's floating around in the in the ocean. And it was a scene where they were like, oh, do you want to wear like a swim shirt or and I was like, no, would I want to do that? And I think that for that moment, I was like, you know what, we there's no big bodies on stage. It's just all them follows from home and away with walking up the beach with their little.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the same, but.
Speaker 2: Get my big frame on this screen and have it have it up there. And brother Wayne Blair was directing the second half of this the show at that point, and I said, I said, bruhs, I'm gonna come like you know, mon if I come out of this ocean shirtless and in just in my shorts. He's like you sure like you should I'm like yeah, yeah, yeah. He's like all right, let's do it. And I was like yes, So that that was for me. That was like you know what, I'm doing this for them big body people that all the big moment you know, aren't seeing us on screens. I was like, this is that's for us, and so it's just yeah, I mean and for myself as well, like I think shame is it has been big in my life. And it's like, well, like you can try and call me fat or call me obi so or whatever. You're like, it's not gonna be the one that's got the problems, Like I don't care, Like, oh my gosh, she heard me.
Speaker 1: Like yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: Cool, I could cool you fat and you'd be more will hurt than me. Like it's one of those situations where it's like you need the one that has to go just check yourself properly, please. But yeah, I think just doing daily things here and there. Community things is as big as well, whether it be community theater, a lot of people community walks these days as well, with health and fitness being a big thing and deadly choices and all that stuff. So yeah, I think just getting out there and just kind of not being a shame to talk to random people sometimes too, saying good every now, that's a good thing to kind of break down be in shame as well, because I think once MOB leaves shame in the bin, then it's dangerous Like this, I don't think. I don't think anyone's ready for once Mob stopped using the word shame like it's it's a lot of no one. Yeah, I'm excited for when that happens. I think that's that's going to be special.
Speaker 1: Well, gosh, there's so much beauty and wisdom and what you've just shared, and I think, you know, like full circle, circling back to where we started the fact that we're here talking about debunking and being mystifying shame. You know, there might be someone in their car, someone on a walk right now, you know who really needs to hear that. So I wanted to say thank you for reminding us all and also that you push through that and now you're creating a conversation. But you're living at bro you're living in your truth, and you're right once you're sort of once you I mean, the world is hard. We know that as blackfellows. You know, it's a certain hard that we shouldn't have to feel. But you know, when we allow ourselves to really honor our own voice, our intuition, our knowing, what it is that fills us up, lights us up, brings us joy. Once we're at a place where we can accept that and we can be on our authentic selves, then you're like you say, we're literally unstoppable, Like we are so powerful in that. And you know, it's it's a beautiful thing that once you're there in life and it's work and all that, and you have to keep reminding yourself, sure, but once you're at that place, there's a there's a piece and a power that comes with that. So I love that. And you get to sort of, like you say, liberate yourself through other characters and explore other characters, which is just beautiful. And I just want to sort of replay what you said in terms of some of those tips, which is you know, starting small, you know, having a yarn, putting yourself out there. I think after COVID we have become a little like in our bubbles. So yeah, go out meet people, say hello, on a on your walk at a cafe or and just you know, really notice, Okay, how did I feel? What did it come up for me? And pushing yourself like sometimes there's like the little steps over time become big steps. And yeah, sometimes dipping your toe in community in community arts, it's a great way to build a network and community around you. And so you can do this with people in your corner as well. So they're really great practical tips. Thank you, Mi bro.
Speaker 2: No, that's they I feel like I feel like they, Yeah, people aren't ready for once we drop shame like this. Yeah, they don't know what's like, we know what's going to be like, but they yeah, it's going to be insane. I think so.
Speaker 1: And I think with that too my brain like we sort of also as black fellows, need to get better at not shaming people up or you know, I think it's also two way, like you know, we we we've had shame in our community because of a reason and as I understand, is like we don't want people to get too big for their boots because back in the day, if you were too confident, you'd put your tribe and mob at risk doing the you know, wmber things and so there was a there was a purpose for it. But the challenge is is in this place, you know, we've been paid it as problems to be solved, we start to believe that we are, you know, not worthy of living a life that we love, and that shame holds us back. And that's where I think it's really problematic. So I love this conversation just to think about where we will be as people without the shame is just yeah, deadly. My final question to you, my bro, because I know you're probably tired and you've got to get back to performing, but you know, what are you hoping to? What's your legacy that you hope to You know, through all this work, have you thought about what it is you hope to sort of build as you grow? And yeah, what it is you want to be known for in this my bro?
Speaker 2: Cool? That's good.
Speaker 1: It's a big one, I think, isn't it.
Speaker 2: I think if I like to think that if you something comes up and someone thinks of me and they smile and leave, then I feel like that's that's a legacy. I'm pretty happy with leaving behind and creating for myself because then I know that my job for what I'm doing on this on this earth is being done right and given people laughter and putting smiles on their faces. And even if I don't have to be in front of you, but do you think of something that I've done or just something come up and you just see me and smile and I know that, like I'm putting joy out there for everyone. So yeah, I think that's the type of legacy I feel like i'd love to leave behind.
Speaker 1: I love that, And you're going to make me tear up good ways, you know. I think we're always in a state of striving and just to be reminded of somebody who yeah, loved their life, made people feel good about themselves and smile and be because Lord knows we need it right now more than ever before. We need that healing, We need that laughter, we need that silliness. So yeah, that's beautiful. Well I want to say thank you. I'm going to put all of Jalen's details in our show notes so you can go along and follow all of what he's doing, all that he's creating and be smiling up with all of us along the way at what you'd be doing. Bro, So thank you so much for being on Yarning Up, considering again you're in the middle of shows.
Speaker 2: Thank you, MOB for having me. It's been unreal and I love company. Y'are on things, so thank you for having me with you follows it's been deadly, oh deadly.
Speaker 1: Thank you, my bro. Thank you so much for listening you Mob. If you are vibing this season of Yarning Up, then please head over to Apple, Spotify, or wherever you get your podcasts from to show us some love, rat and review. Alternatively, you can get in contact and give us some feedback by visiting www dot Caroline Coow dot com dot au