Speaker 1: We are very excited to bring you this bonus episode of two Dotting Dads, or as we call it for the bonus EPs, three Doting Dads. It features Thomas Trey Kennedy, the third.
Speaker 2: I nearly was like, yeah, so Trey Kennedy, he made it big back in the day when Vine back in the day. He's not that old, but when Vine was a big deal in America and he was in college, was one of.
Speaker 1: The top one hundred followed viners. Oh yeah, wasn't big here in the States. But nowadays, Ash, I'm gonna throw some stats at you, some big, fat, girthy numbers.
Speaker 3: You love.
Speaker 1: TikTok almost four million followers, Wow. Instagram almost three million.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: YouTube just on the cusp of one point three million. Very good, fair to say. He is a social media at Schon.
Speaker 2: Yes, and he's currently touring with his show called grow Up and he's doing all the major cities in Australia. Australia.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it kicks off on the sixth of December in Perth. But all details of his tour we'll put that information in the show notes. Because we highly recommend checking him out. He is probably one of the first people on social media that I started following for his comedy skits. He's hilarious.
Speaker 2: He's got some great characters, and you stand up from what I've seen in those snippets is also very very good.
Speaker 4: We hope you enjoy it.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to three Doting Dads.
Speaker 2: I am Mattie Jay, I'm Ash.
Speaker 5: And I'm Drey Kennedy, the third dad, baby American.
Speaker 2: Dad, the third doting dad.
Speaker 3: That's right, man, Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: This is a podcast all about parenting.
Speaker 2: It is the good, the bad, and the relatable.
Speaker 1: Now only for legal reasons, we have to say that we never give any type of advice however, being real, however, Trey Kennedy. Some are saying the smartest man in comedy.
Speaker 2: The smartest dad in comedy.
Speaker 5: Wow, that's what I'm hearing. So I'm glad to be here. Thanks for having me. It's fun because I'm coming to Australia to do some shows, so i can't wait, and I'm like, I'm getting to talk to all these rses.
Speaker 3: It's a blast. So thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: You're learning on your slang too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like spicy car, they got dads. I love you know.
Speaker 5: Americans are the worst, Like what's what's going on down there? It's like it's pretty much the same.
Speaker 1: We played hard to get for a little bit. I'll be honest. Can I just say, we were extremely excited to talk to you, and this may come as no surprise, but when it comes to.
Speaker 2: Admin, we're not great, we're.
Speaker 1: Not the best. And then finally when we locked it in, we're like, we're good to go, and I cooled. Ash. This is like the day before having our first conversation, I was like, oh my god, our household is currently over run by COVID.
Speaker 2: Everyone's isolated.
Speaker 5: Oh good man, I get it. Yeah, you're talking to my sister who I just got. So I'm very fancy my assistant, but I didn't have one. You know, for the first eight years I was doing this and yeah, I can't tell you, I'd miss about six calls a week. It's just like, I don't even I didn't have a calendar. I was like, my calenter was my brain. Very embarrassing as a grown man, that's like me.
Speaker 1: Can I just say, Hannah has been a delight, thank you to deal with five stars. I don't know if she's in the room right now. I don't know if she's listening in somewhere but five stars.
Speaker 5: No, she's in her cage over there. I run a tight show.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, you.
Speaker 2: Don't have to pass that message on.
Speaker 3: Then it's up to try.
Speaker 1: Before we talk about you as a dad, I'm keen to know when you were a kid. This could be let's say, high school, primary school. What type of youngster were you?
Speaker 5: I had stages until I was like ten or so. I was a sweet, shy little boy, very good, you know, I didn't get in trouble much. And then I guess I got out of the shy face and so kind of middle school on I was like awful and my mom got called by every teacher that was class cloud.
Speaker 3: So I was getting into that a little bit.
Speaker 1: Was that because of puberty or did you have a bad influence at school?
Speaker 5: I guess I guess a little puberty. You know, I was late to the game, your little hair on my armpits. Maybe start talking.
Speaker 2: Back a little bit. But did you have an awkward phase?
Speaker 3: Oh? I had an awkward face.
Speaker 5: I was just randomly looking at old photos with my wife, and yeah, I was the classic braces off hit puberty all in one fell swoop.
Speaker 3: So I came back. I was like the kid from the movies.
Speaker 5: I came back one summer and I was able to finally get a date to the dance. I was like wow, I was yeah, glowed up because before then, I remember I remember trying to make a joke and a girl let me right in my eyes. And when I was like twelve, she's like, you know, you're not even cute, right, and that's you know.
Speaker 3: But at least I'm funny. I'm trying.
Speaker 1: Uh what was her name?
Speaker 3: Her name was Kaylee Ah, Kaylee's. You gotta stay away from Kayley's.
Speaker 2: How did she spell it?
Speaker 5: K A I l e y not even cute way to spell it.
Speaker 2: I don't even need the eye in there now. I do not need to be there.
Speaker 1: That's so tough for her. Whenever she opens up Instagram, like any social media and you're there and you're like, hey, I'm like, I'm now doing a global too.
Speaker 5: She's like, I know I should hit her up before I'm I'm cute again. I'm getting there. I'm thirty, getting bald. You know, I don't know you. We look like we're all the same age.
Speaker 3: Dude. It's tough out here getting older.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Matt's silly forty.
Speaker 5: So wow, this guy, this guy looks like a supermodel. He's got the quaff and everything. Well, he used to be the Bachelor. Yeah, I did the little research, that's all. Are they still doing the.
Speaker 3: Show over there?
Speaker 2: He's not still on it.
Speaker 3: It's just him.
Speaker 5: Every we do a different it's the same guy for fifteen years.
Speaker 1: Like for the last time. Get off the set and I'm like, I'm back.
Speaker 2: And they're like, how many system watch did this guy have?
Speaker 3: Have you all seen the Golden Bachelor we're doing over here.
Speaker 5: I love it, Oh my goodness, I love it. It's an elderly bachelor. Could got a bunch of seven year olds. Yeah, so keep that hair man thirty years will be doing. I mean it is, it's awesome.
Speaker 3: I'm all in on the Golden Bachelor. But okay, I love it.
Speaker 1: Hey, but when you're past puberty, you're rebelling a little bit. Do you remember at that age, was there a situation where you got yourself into a lot of trouble? Is there one scenario that sticks out?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 5: I was just a punk kid, always trying to get attention to class. I never did anything crazy bad and trouble. What sticks out is more like embarrassing. Got myself in trouble in another way, where I started goofing off with some friends I made that we did this huge fundraising assembly at our school where I went to a big school.
Speaker 3: Three thousand kids or whatever, and whoa they would do.
Speaker 5: These like dares of this high school's gonna come down and shave his legs for charity. And one day they're like, we just raised the funds to get trak in It down here to sing in front of the whole school. When I'm like stage right, terrified kid and got I got handed a mic in front of thousand kids and I just shut down.
Speaker 1: Wait did you know going into that assembly that that was going to be on the car?
Speaker 5: I was like surprise, And I was like the youngest kid in school, you know, you were the youngest grade.
Speaker 3: And so everyone's like I have no choice. I get thrown out there.
Speaker 2: What song was it?
Speaker 3: Well, first they just hand me a mike and go sing, and I'm like I don't.
Speaker 5: Then they're like, well he will play a song and they throw on Miss new Booty.
Speaker 3: So I'm I'm like, okay, what what do I do with this? I'm like I found you miss new Booty, and I just kind of like run off Kayley's life.
Speaker 1: That's disgusting.
Speaker 2: He's not even cud.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was humiliar. Are at this day they're all in on it? I mean they had to feel horrible for me. I just nearly cried running off. That was a day I had basketball practice after school. I just ditched, went home and I took a bath, and I'm.
Speaker 3: Not embarrassed, And that's what I needed, man.
Speaker 2: That's what I need, warm bath and a good dacent cry. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Were you drawn more towards your mom or your dad growing up?
Speaker 5: Do you think I had great? Parents are still together. And my dad was a funny guy. You know, everyone was like, oh man, your dad's so funny. He was the funny man. And my mom was like the easy target. So I was with her more because he worked all day, and I would just give her a heck of a time great because she was so easy and she also has a good susumor, so I would just That was my first experience with like, if it's funny, you get away with it, which is kind of like what comedy is. And there's so many memories where I just I just get her to crack, and she'd be like, dang it, you're making me laugh. She's inspiration for my mom character, like a classic momb involved in everything, led the pta, you know, packed my lunch every day, just ultimate mom. The first thing I'm not kidding, the first thing my mom does every day when she wakes up not get coffee. Doesn't even drink coffee. She doesn't need it. She's like super mom energy. She just sprints to the laundry room and gets the laundry fire. Well, it's like it's like my wife, she's fired up to get the laundry going.
Speaker 3: I'm like, what kind of mom energy is that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, this morning my wife was like and hear rummaging around the laundry and then I hear the buttons going beep beep beepepeepeppeep. I was like, fuck, it's like six o'clock in the morning.
Speaker 5: Ryan, right now, I think at these beeps every time the laundry finishes, they play like sixty seconds of a song these days.
Speaker 3: It's horrible, but.
Speaker 2: I have the sound on my phone and I always get my wife with it.
Speaker 3: I just play the.
Speaker 2: Sound and then I eat nice.
Speaker 5: I like that maybe that'll I feel like that comes with more. Y'all been Dad's longer than me. My wife, I'm seeing her she starts to bake muffins now she never I think that just something happens in their in their body, because before we had a kid, my wife was big on the like, hey, just because I'm a woman doesn't mean I'm gonna be cooking around here and doing laundry. I kind of like, I mean, I'm for like pro women. But it was nice when y'all did everything. But it's just it's she can't help herself. She's making muffins now everything.
Speaker 1: You're like, did you make these? And she's like, no, no, no, they're store boards. So I can see the raisins and flowers out in the kitchen bench.
Speaker 3: She's embarrassed.
Speaker 2: What sort of dad was your dad?
Speaker 3: Like? He was classic dad energy?
Speaker 1: Was he the disciplinarian? Was he the bad cop?
Speaker 5: He was so he was funny, goofy guy. But at the same time, when he was around, I was much more well behaved because he could lay down the law quickly. It was amazing how quickly he could be like just the funniest, goofiest guy ever. And then the next breath. He's like, you're gonna go lay bricks with your hands because you upset me. So he he was disciplinarian, but also like tough guy too. He taught me to be like work hard and all that good stuff. He ran his own business, but he knew i'd have fun.
Speaker 2: What sort of business did they run?
Speaker 5: My grandfather started, he took it over, my dad built it. He just retired. It was an automotive shop, tired automotive business, right.
Speaker 3: And yeah, blue collar work.
Speaker 5: And I was just never I joke about it, like I can't even I could hardly change a light bulb.
Speaker 3: Now you know, I'm a total millennial.
Speaker 2: Like you got an assistant for that, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Dad, you love? I mean, it's horrible. We we just delivered groceries. My assistant gets thinking, it's it's pathetical life I live in a lot of ways.
Speaker 3: He's disappointed, but sounds amazing. It also sounds amazing that it.
Speaker 1: Do you think there's any expect from your dad like that? He was going to try and bring you into the fold, into the mechanic business.
Speaker 5: That's what I've give him credit for because he told me him and my mom years later, just a fe years ago. They once I really got going with this comedy thing, They're like, we we kind of knew you do something a little like different, which I appreciate them for because I got pressure from outside sources. But my dad never once, I think he subtenly would be like, come to the shop and let's like because him as a kid, he loved like.
Speaker 2: Let's get greasy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he loved to get under the hood and stuff.
Speaker 5: And I'm an, I was like, can we can I just go home and write my little stories.
Speaker 2: This is tiring, my finger's hurt exactly back on the bricks.
Speaker 3: I wasn't built for it.
Speaker 2: Talking about your comedy, you started creating content at a really young age. I mean both Matt and I are in our thirties now, and late Bloom is late bloom is to the content. But you started out on Vine back in what nine it.
Speaker 3: Vine started in twenty twelve.
Speaker 5: I was on it right at the beginning. Yeah, so over ten years ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it wasn't a huge thing here for us in Australia like TikTok and Instagram is. But I do recall it, but I don't recall it being like this big thing that.
Speaker 3: Ever I did oh yeah, took over America.
Speaker 2: Did you and all your friends start doing it?
Speaker 5: Or It's funny because it was before it blew up in America and it was kind of started this wave of like so many huge famous people now came from Vine, like I mean Logan and Jake Paul who everyone else?
Speaker 3: Sean Mendez?
Speaker 5: I mean some people don't realize and Sean did I someone you know the old game like who's the most famous person on your phone? Shawn Mendez? I had more followers than him on Vine when I was like, I was like eighteen and he was fifteen. Wo so he would like text me.
Speaker 3: Like, man, I just try. I just look up to you so much.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: I was like, Sean, please.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's pretty funny on hindsight, like okay, and then I did the class of course of the class of like help.
Speaker 3: Everything's good Sean when he was like, they didn't massive, we're not friends. Let's put it that way.
Speaker 2: I don't think, Yeah, he's like who is this guy?
Speaker 1: When was the last time you sent Shawn a text?
Speaker 5: That was probably I think when we were actually in touch a little bit would have been twenty fifteen, sixteen, when the Viners would have like a group text. But I think I tried in like seventeen or eighteen. I was like, Sean, I'm I see you have a show tonight. What I just didn't?
Speaker 2: You're still here.
Speaker 1: You can't be like because you do have a little bit of singing. You got a great voice. You're like, hey, Sean, why why?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's in a voice my most Sean, it's trade. It's like I want world. He's like, dude, you text me. I was fifteen, it was eighteen, But.
Speaker 1: I imagine back then was it like it is now, where there's you know, it's almost like the social currency. If you got followers, you got straight cred.
Speaker 5: That's a great question because no, I was bullied beyond what you can imagine because it was like what it wasn't a thing yet, right, You.
Speaker 2: Think of you were an outsider or an outcast.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you think when you started a podcast like ten years ago, people like what do you do? You're just talking to Mike, like get a job. It was kind of like that where I was in college. I was at Oklahoma State University and doing vines for fun, and it blew up. I got a million followers and I was making money from brand partnerships. People didn't have a clue. They thought it was making zero dollars. They were just like, why is this guy making so many videos like this?
Speaker 3: Weird?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're like, nice hobby, bro.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I had to endure.
Speaker 5: I'll never get being out at the college bar and a big group of people go.
Speaker 3: Hey, guys, look it's the Vine guy Trey and then they all laugh something out of like a movie, And.
Speaker 2: I was just like, you should write a movie about that.
Speaker 1: Really, you crawled so we could run exactly, thank you.
Speaker 3: You're welcome. You're welcome one we did?
Speaker 2: Actually are you one? Yeah? You took the ground of the bullying. I know when I started making contact my friends alike, Bro, you've got kids, you're meant to be an adult. What the fuck are you doing?
Speaker 3: Right? A little bit of that for sure.
Speaker 5: Everyone says that at the start, So you got to you got to push.
Speaker 2: Through that absolutely.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Now in college, if you have a million followers in college, you I mean, you're the coolest person my goodness, But not ten years ago.
Speaker 1: But I'm surprised then, Like I guess, obviously it's early days in Vine, so a million is not worth the saying back then, as it is now. But you went off to university and you like, when do you go get a real career? Was it like against your will or did you have to try and tell yourself like, no, this is I've got to I've got to follow the social norm and I've got to get a nine to five.
Speaker 5: I definitely was still very committed to following the what you're supposed to do, But at the same time, I did not believe in any way that this would be a career. This is before the word influencer existed or or brands were dying to like pay kids to make content. It was still like, I mean, how how long is this going to last? So I was just still I got my degree in business, then I got my master's in business, just kind of killing time. I didn't go to a tough school.
Speaker 2: Is it come in handy now with now that you technically run this big business?
Speaker 5: Now now people, yeah, I have a finance degree and people it's they're like, oh, that's kind of cool, right.
Speaker 2: Kober numbers.
Speaker 3: I was making pines the whole time, so I wasn't really paying attention.
Speaker 1: Do you use any of that knowledge for I meant your masters for loud?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, I guess I probably don't give enough credit. I learned some things. I have a baseline understanding of finance and got some good business experience, but I was also getting top business before the Instagram in literally even existed.
Speaker 2: So yes and no, you're probably a bit behind on the curriculum of what's now relevant, right.
Speaker 3: Right, did I don't forget it?
Speaker 5: During that business school, I had one professor who credit to him. He was kind of he was a little ahead of his time, but he was like, you're doing these videos, You're making a living. That's very entrepreneurial. And I was like, I mean, I don't know. He's like, you should come talk, let me do your town. He was like, you should come talk to my undergrad freshman young students. You should come like speak to them. And I was just like, this is not going to go how you think it's going to go.
Speaker 2: You just sung new Booty basically.
Speaker 5: Missed New Booty all over again. I got up in front of these students and they couldn't care less what I was saying. Yeah, I think by the end of it, I was like, I found you just had flashed.
Speaker 1: So what was what was the tipping point?
Speaker 3: Then?
Speaker 1: Because I think it's the hardest moment of like deciding Okay, I'm gonna throw in my career and go all in on content.
Speaker 5: The tipping point was graduating. I was trying to get a real job.
Speaker 3: I had a finance degree.
Speaker 5: Mind you, but I got a master's and I was like, okay, I don't I'm discovering this more creative talent and desire. So I went to try to go get like a more creative marketing job, and I was pitching myself as like, hey, I've worked with PEPSI and these big brands, and I think I can It's social media's the future, and I was in hindsight, I think it was a little ahead because these people were like, I don't, we don't care about social media, Like what do you? And I couldn't get a job that I was trying, and so I kind of was just like, screw this, I'll.
Speaker 2: Make videos and create your own job. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Twelve, like six twelve months later later, it became pretty parent. I could make a living for a while doing it. So it's kind of my own failure that led to the other success.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I kind of imagine me trying to pitch to like my parents' particular job in that social media was going to be the next big thing, because that would be the same thing that would have been like what the fuck are you even talking about? But like now it's just crazy.
Speaker 1: Do they get it now?
Speaker 3: Try for sure? Yeah? I mean I say my parents were always supportive.
Speaker 5: My dad again, way more than my mom because classic she couldn't understand it at all.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: I was like, I can't, Mom, I'm busy this weekend, I'm getting flown out to make snapchats for Amazon.
Speaker 3: And she was like what what.
Speaker 2: What does any of those words?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 5: And she would just be like, I hope you're doing your schoolwork, okay, making your videos.
Speaker 3: You better be focused on the score.
Speaker 5: And my dad, you know, being a little more business man, he's like, I mean, I see you're making this money. I mean that's a job, right, make money. You go keep doing it. But yeah, now it's to the point now where all their friends and stuff they come to they're a big fans, so that's as very proud and uh yeah, they're always supportive.
Speaker 1: But did you make any mistakes? Because I'm thinking back to when I was eighteen and nineteen and I was a little bit reckless, and you've got a lot of responsibility. You know, you're working with really big global brands. Did you stuff up any jobs?
Speaker 5: I man, I think I was lucky because I was raised so like straight edged and conservative and like clean. My initial out of the gate videos were I was more like terrified of the Internet and like upsetting anyone. So they're like really squeaky clean, like g rated Disney vibes. So in that regard that was helpful. I didn't like go rogue and do this terrible stuff. I was like, we gotta I'm gonna get canceled. We got to delete, delete the old videos.
Speaker 2: I had to do that.
Speaker 5: I think for sure, the old tweets, you gotta get rid of that. No, I did the old I would look through the old tweets. I was proud to say. I was like, what did I tweet when I was fourteen? Luckily nothing crazy?
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 5: I literally had my bob to look up and old Halloween costume where I dressed as a like this young character who was played like by a black kid, and I was like, Mom, check the photo, Please tell me you didn't paint my face.
Speaker 3: Credit to my parents, they did.
Speaker 5: Not put me a black face twenty years ago. But I think the biggest mess up or even just again embarrassing moment was and also on their end too, like we want to hire you come make vines on the red carpet of the Billboard Music Awards. It's like dark and there's like machine gun Gelly, there's like a rat music happening.
Speaker 3: I was like, how how do I a video? Like just do your thing?
Speaker 5: I mean, it's this horrible video where and I'm like dancing and like Ed Sheeran's right there. It was like I didn't meet it of these people. They just saw me over there looking like an idiot. But those those early days before.
Speaker 3: People understood all the ramifications of social media.
Speaker 2: You need proper lotting and yeah, yeah, yeah, I try.
Speaker 1: I love some of your characters, and I'm kingson are they always coming from other people around you, like within your close circle, or are they like within your family even closer.
Speaker 5: For the most part, the mom character is my mom, you know for sure. The female character Tracy has developed, but that was very much inspired by I was surrounded by girls in my family. I have a sister, and then I'm very close with all my cousins. I'm the only boy, just me and all these girls who are exactly like, yeah, they're amazing, stereotypical like basic girls, and then full girlies, yeah for sure. And then the people love my middle school character, which.
Speaker 1: Was just me Maddics.
Speaker 2: I love Madics.
Speaker 5: Maddox, just mimicking how I remember behaving. That's one of those classic ideas where I was like, I almost didn't even post it.
Speaker 3: I was like, I don't need to post this, right.
Speaker 1: And then your beautiful wife, where did you guys meet Katie?
Speaker 3: We've been together, We've married three and a half years.
Speaker 5: We met on Instagram when you know it, just as people do of true love story.
Speaker 2: True Love Story, Matt picked his wife from like twenty seven other women.
Speaker 3: So how long you been together?
Speaker 1: We we did this show. I think it was about man memories playing tricks to me. I think it was like eight years ago. Eight years ago the show finished up. I mean, that's great that you had easy. I had like a billion girls to pick from on Instagram.
Speaker 5: It was kind of like, it's kind of it was tougher for me. You had it easy, man, Yeah, you had it easy. But I genuinely DMed her and we hit it off. And she lived in Atlanta. I lived in Oklahoma. I was like I was, I'm in town, let's go to dinner. It was just hit it off, up all night talking and we did long distance for like over a year, and wow.
Speaker 1: Do you remember at what point you began to think like, oh my gosh, this could be the mother of my children.
Speaker 5: There's an element of like that first date where you're like, I mean, you know, because I was dating and stuff, you meet girls and you're kind of like, I don't know, maybe you know, am I being too picky? The classic what we've all known before you meet the one? And that first date I was like, man, you know, she'd lived across the country and I was like, I'm gonna fly back here next week.
Speaker 3: I think we both kind of had a good feeling.
Speaker 5: And then we had a we had a conversation four or five months in where we were kind of like, this is pretty obvious. This is where really well right, like yeah, yeah, it's like okay, I really feel like this is it?
Speaker 1: So I want to get you pregnant?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's funny but at least not practicing.
Speaker 5: And it's funny because you people get made fun of it, like you got married within like a year of meeting, are you crazy? But it's like, I mean we kind of did, or you know, eight weeks. I don't know how long the Australian batcher is. It's pretty click over here, but I mean we basically did. We're like this is good. Yeah, yeah, she moved across the country and it's just always worked.
Speaker 1: So did you always want to be a dad that was always on the CODs feet?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 5: I say that I'm even also with her, I was like, I don't you know, I think I feel like a lot of guys so this way and never when I really think about it, it's not like I ever desired I don't know if I was like I can't wait to be a doubt I wasn't really like that.
Speaker 2: I was just saying it was like, if it happens, that's amazing.
Speaker 5: But it was more of I feel like I had the awareness to be like, well, when I'm fifty, I don't want to just sit around.
Speaker 3: I mean, what am I gotta do?
Speaker 5: It just feels like I when I'm eighty, I would like to have grandkids. I'd be cool, right, So I should just do this and then you do it and yes, you guys know, it's like he's about eight or nine months right now, and yeah, I mean it's to the point I hate being around him, hate being away from him.
Speaker 3: Question around us sometimes it's fun.
Speaker 2: And his name is Thomas, right.
Speaker 3: Thomas, Well, we have a question for you.
Speaker 2: Where does the name Grimace come from?
Speaker 3: Oh? Dude, did you see this?
Speaker 5: I don't know, some hilarious I don't know if someone who hates me or is a fan being funny, but we got alert of this recently and my wife is just I think it's hill spots like grim It.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: On my Wikipedia, which I don't know who started this, they're like Trey Mett, Katie that've been married, he does this, he's a comedian blah blah, and he welcomed the son Grimace on in February.
Speaker 1: We were like, maybe that's an American normalness.
Speaker 5: That's awesome that you literally doing your research, like I don't know.
Speaker 2: The last night, I was like, something's not right here, and he was like, it's Thomas. I'm like, dude, it's Grimace. He's got those videos about like so.
Speaker 1: Maybe he did it to like stitch people And how's beautiful Grimace.
Speaker 3: That's amazing.
Speaker 2: Did you have a list of baby names, like you personally have a list of baby names that were, you know.
Speaker 3: Ready to go or no.
Speaker 5: So if we had a girl, we had nothing. We really didn't have any ideas. We're kind of like didn't degree on anything. But the boy we had it kind of easy. My wife agreed to this. It's a family name. He's Thomas the fourth. Okay, I'm the third, So I go by Trey?
Speaker 1: Can I? Because I've never met anyone. I don't know anyone who is.
Speaker 2: Like Grimace, who is.
Speaker 1: Like it's a numerical name. Do you use that? Like your flights booked? Is as like trade the third?
Speaker 5: My legal name is Thomas, so Trey means nothing to the US government. So if I book flights, if I get a bank account of anything, it's it's Thomas.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: If you used Tray you might get detained.
Speaker 1: But is it like the third afterwards? Can you use that?
Speaker 5: It's first middle last name. Three, It's like my birthtifate government name. I just go by Trey.
Speaker 2: Wow, it's not like it's not a real big thing here in Australia, like there might be the odd family.
Speaker 5: Sure, Yeah, in America, it's very If you meet a I always I did a joke about this, if you meet a white boy named Trey, he's like Gerald the third. But there's a ton of black dudes named Trey short for like Treva Andre or something, because I grew up with playing basketball and there was always a black Tray and other team. So I'd be like they talking to me or him, It's like, he's not the third.
Speaker 1: Australia's too, like we just pull of convicts out here around long enough for that.
Speaker 2: And now I've got an American friend from Nebraska and he's like Jerome the seventh, and I'm like, okay, dude.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I guess we'd like, you know, with the former British, we like to kind of keep that going. Let's get those eleventh and sixteenths going. That's what we're trying to do.
Speaker 1: Hey, what's it like. I'll be honest, I'm very naive when it comes to cultural differences between Australia and the States. What's it like for you guys As a dad preparing for childbirth? How do you guys prepare for that?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'd love to hear y'all so generational here too, because my father. I feel like my generation's fathers were like, we work, we provide, mom does the rest. You know, that was the culture, and now we're in this culture of like dad gets paid time off from his job to help mom, and he's he's changed. So I joke like, kind of what my dad had a pretty good I'm out here in the trenches changing diapers. But you know, I prepared, and my wife had us signed us up. She's still lean the charge, of course, she's mom, but she signed us up for like classes. So we did, like a breastfeeding class. Breastfeeding class. I was like, I don't breastfeed. Why am I here? Number two? They show dozens of breasts in the video is.
Speaker 3: Great, and I'm like, hey, do you want me to watch this?
Speaker 5: I don't understand at Yeah.
Speaker 3: The funniest part of the breastfeeding class.
Speaker 5: Of course, you know there are supermodels, right, there's regular women and it's your kind of whatever. But they there was this one they like, you can't do this, You're gonna make a breat feeding video. They showed like an attractive girl breast fan and you could see all the guys.
Speaker 3: You're like, whoa, yeah, you can see the guys in the room while kind of be like okay, that one feels awkward. Am I supposed to look?
Speaker 5: Or so we did classes and she like really did all this physical therapy and preparation to like get things strong so she would like be able to stay healthier after and got the baby's room the nursery already, this crib very nice. We had to put in a wallpaper and wasn't with the wallpaper. She's like, my body, my choice. It was like, that's not what that phrase means. You can't use it for wallpaper. So that was yeah, that's all that stuff.
Speaker 1: Do you have a choice? I mean, like here in Australia, this may be really obvious and you're like, yeah, no, shit, of course we have that. But we have the choice of you can have like a water birth. You have like in the delivery suite, you have like a little plunge pool where you can give birth in the pool.
Speaker 5: Oh this is fascinating, hYP no birth, Yeah, the water birth is in the hospital.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So I remember we had like a tour of the delivery suites and then there was one where these like the plunge pools are there, and I remember thinking like what the what's this for? And they're like, oh, that's.
Speaker 2: For the after party.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, And I for me, Hey, if you're into that, totally fine, Like good on you for doing that. I thought for me, like I don't like blood to the thought of like being in the plunge pool, like as the baby comes out, like I just not for no thanks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you add puke to the pool. It's like a hole. It's just too much, too many fluids.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like.
Speaker 1: There's like floating turd going by as well.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, it's a really disgusting soup.
Speaker 5: Would you say like one in ten people do that or less? Or is it way more common?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Yeah, I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: I had a friend who had both their kids's water birth and it's like, look, I can't even sit through the story because I'm like, do.
Speaker 5: Y'all have a lot of home births where people just do it at their house accidentally more than.
Speaker 1: There's actually there's a few, And I'm sure like people will come at me for this, but those people are kind of like a little bit.
Speaker 4: Weird woo woo.
Speaker 5: Right, Okay, so it's very similar. Yeah, and my understanding is like what most people do. Just good hospital doctors are there, they're ready. And then there's birthing centers, which are like in between your house and a hospital, where it's like you're here and the hospital's right there if you need it. But people sometimes, you know, some of these people are like, hospitals are scary and bad, so we want to be near one in case. You know, it's funny when things go really bad, they're like, we love hospitals.
Speaker 2: I want to give birth. This bus off.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And then some are the home which, yeah, the home births are agree.
Speaker 3: I joke about that too.
Speaker 1: What did you guys up for?
Speaker 5: Oh, just good old hospital, traditional traditional. She she didn't do like all the drugs. She wanted to kind of be, but she got the epidural.
Speaker 2: I actually fainted during the epidural, did.
Speaker 3: You Yeah, you're not supposed to get it.
Speaker 2: No. I wasn't even watching it. I was just in the room and I was just like wow out. So I spent the rest of the delivery on the floor, which is great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's helpful for sure.
Speaker 2: Did you have a gender reveal though?
Speaker 3: You know what sucks?
Speaker 5: As we did and my buddies won't let me let it down because I've made them so much. And my wife, I mean, my wife did me dirty.
Speaker 3: I was like, you know, we can't, right, I mean she's like yeah, just She's like, simple, it's.
Speaker 2: Just you've ruined this for us.
Speaker 5: We cut a cake open with a few We were hanging out some friends and cut a cake and the icing inside was blue.
Speaker 1: Oh that's that's lovely.
Speaker 2: Have you ever done a live show and done a gender do someone's asked you to do a gender reveal for great question?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Not on stage during the show. You know, people don't holler. But when I do like meet and greets where they're you get a photo with your fans and they're like, would you hold this for us?
Speaker 3: This is how we're like announcing the gender. I'm like sure, sure, I bought her to be a part of it.
Speaker 1: I got a charge for.
Speaker 2: This, I know, right, talk to talk to Hannah, I reckon Harry Styles probably charges now. Yeah, yeah, she's done enough.
Speaker 1: How was it after Thomas was born?
Speaker 5: Remus, It's funny we have jo joking like calling him a grimma sometimes.
Speaker 1: How were the first few months of being a dad?
Speaker 3: Oh? Awful?
Speaker 5: They they're I mean, it was like the best thing ever but also the worst. As you guys know, it's yeah, I just say, way underestimated. I remember people being so dramatic what was hard, and fairness to us, we had a particularly hard go at it. He wouldn't nurse. He had to get this little procedure on a tongue tie procedure. When he's like six weeks, finally figure that out and that fixed it. But for six weeks it was like her trying to nurse, pumping, warming up a bottle, feeding the bottle sterilized. So it was just like triple the time.
Speaker 3: And we're doing it.
Speaker 1: It's hard.
Speaker 3: I mean it was hard, but it's amazing. Just no hesitation.
Speaker 5: We're up every like hour and a half and you're just automatically taking care of him. And like I described parenthood, like the early days is like I'm nearly at my breaking point, just like I'm doing it.
Speaker 3: I love this kid, but this is like what am I getting from this?
Speaker 5: And when I was at my it's in at like three am, he smiled at me for the first time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you forget all that stuff, don't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's all out the window. Like I get it. I get it.
Speaker 1: So and then it goes quickly back to the screaming and yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah right right, and then for days you're like, so smile again.
Speaker 2: He kep making him smile. Yeah, yeah, yeah, like it your very early days, so like, I mean, there's a lot more to look forward to. Have caused my question. We sort of ask every dad, have you been chat on yet?
Speaker 3: Oh? Yeah, we're lucky.
Speaker 5: I think we had a He didn't do too much, like blowing out of his diaper and stuff, but there was an ull time memory of middle of the night.
Speaker 3: You know, We're delirious, we're going through it.
Speaker 5: I've gone him by the ankles, lifted up to wipe the current poop and project projectile dude, like four feet not kidding you, I'm just like God, and I'm again my wife's the more like patient, like everything's great. One so she just dies laughing and I'm like, this is not okay. I am falling.
Speaker 2: Apart, covered in ship.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And it's amazing how quick you get used to them puking on you, and it just doesn't the first few times, like and they're like, oh yeah, it's just fine.
Speaker 2: It's funny when you're around people that don't have kids and any kid like does it being a poonami as we called around here poonami And they're like what the fuck? And were just like this is normal.
Speaker 1: Just like wiping off the wall and you're like what what is it?
Speaker 3: Yeah? What what are you? Like?
Speaker 1: That number two? Where are we at with that? Obviously it's still early days. With Grimace Thomas the Four.
Speaker 5: I love that they're like, he's Thomas the Fourth. He goes by Grimace. It's a Wikipedia inside joke.
Speaker 2: It's when's that little Kaylee coming along?
Speaker 3: Right? It's crazy.
Speaker 5: We're lucky that because you know, a lot of people struggle and we were like, we want to have this kid at this time. It worked, so we have high hopes that we can planet. Accordingly, that's just surrounded by like my tours, which is like crazy. So this tour in the next like May, and so we're hoping the back half of next year to add to the family.
Speaker 3: So we'll see.
Speaker 2: Yep, you never know.
Speaker 5: But we're in our thirties, always practicing, yeah, always, so we want to. We just wants three kids. I just I'm team like, boom boom boom, let's just get it done.
Speaker 3: Raise the kids.
Speaker 1: After you became a dad with it, any specific kind of dad tendencies that you noticed all of a sudden started creeping into your personality.
Speaker 5: Unfortunate, Like I feel my wardrobe changing, you know, like I was like all graphic t's and being cool and young and sneakers, Jordan's whatever, and I just I'm leaning towards a nice loafer now, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I'm just like, oh no, a nice stripe, shit.
Speaker 3: Exact, Yeah, the nice button up all the way. It's just weird stuff like that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you start speaking in weird dad phrases that I stopped myself, you know, small talk people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I start to sound like my dad, and I'm like, yeah, you.
Speaker 5: Do a cheesy joke, and and then you notice I've noticed my dad acting like a grand Then you're like, oh no, it's just all happening. Like when we were preparing for number one. My parents are meeting me and my sister are meeting me down in Australia because we're gonna finish the tour and then hang around. Oh nice, Yeah, so that'll be fun, like in which city Sydney?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Michael, so love.
Speaker 5: To come around, you know, introduced my sister's Yeah, she loves the bachelor here, so she can you know, she'd get fired up. No, we'll have to get together if you all are free. But I I love recommendations, but my dad to prepare because again he's a type of dad.
Speaker 3: He's like, we need our tenerary all that he just said.
Speaker 5: He's like, I found this great resource and it was like Australia dot government dot com. I was like, Dad, this isn't he thought he found like a groundbreaking source of information.
Speaker 2: That's just the government website.
Speaker 5: Yeah, traveling with a baby is a while too, so the trip over there is a journey. So I'm hoping he's a really good chill baby and generally on airplanes.
Speaker 3: So we're going to see how that goes.
Speaker 1: But I've looked at your tourist schedule and that is turbo.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how is the conversation with your wife to be like, I want to do sixty shows.
Speaker 5: My wife is just a hero, she really is. Just she holds it down. She takes care of him by herself. When I'm gone. She'll travel with him by herself to some of my shows. So she comes out to some of them, and we're trying to make it work and It is funny because we had a combo of like, all right, we're gonna do the tour this way because this is less intense than my first tour. This is my second tour. But she's really supportive and I think she knows I love it. And I think she knows too that who knows how long this will last, so we should probably get after it while we get.
Speaker 2: Canceled, right, So she's great.
Speaker 5: But she's coming to Australia and they're both coming. It's like a month long. We're doing Hawaii shows on the way on down to Australia. So we're very excited because I've always wanted to come to Australia ever been and I never thought I'd be able to do shows there. And I mean when we announced the dates, I was like, I mean my agents are telling me, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: I'm like, I don't know, does anyone over there know who I am? So we do? Yeah, thank god. We got some people buying tickets and we've been very excited.
Speaker 1: We are very excited to see you on December sixteen here in Sydney. There are only four or five short.
Speaker 2: Shows, so we've got Perth December sixth. We've got Brisbane December ninth. You're in Sydney on the sixteenth and Auckland on the eighteenth.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: Where can people get your tickets?
Speaker 3: Melbourne too? I think I don't know if you said that Melbourne, mel Melbourne.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I missed Melbourne. Well, there you go.
Speaker 3: I don't know. We will get Yeah, we're in the big cities, so.
Speaker 2: We'll put it in the show notes for anyone, and we'll also put the link Matt and I. Well, I'm definitely coming along to the Sydney Show. I think Matt might be.
Speaker 1: A way I know, I got Yeah, I've got a bloody gig on the Gold Coast.
Speaker 2: Ah damn.
Speaker 1: But you were one of my first introductions to people who I would say have a career on being on social media. I always look at I guess, being I'm thirty six. I look at influences as being like the kind of Kim Kardashian style, just like pretty pitches Dashian and then yeah, and then I saw a train. I was like, holy shit, this guy's amazing. So it's dude, it's awesome to speak to you and we absolutely cannot wait. But it's not the Sydney Show. I'm going to try and see somewhere, hopefully Brisbane.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, man, okay, cool, I know pressure, y'all holler at us.
Speaker 3: We'd love to come by and hang with you, guys.
Speaker 2: One hundred appreciate you coming on Trey and look forward to seeing you.
Speaker 3: Thanks, guys, I really appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Two.
Speaker 1: Doting Dance Podcast acknowledges the traditional custodians of country throughout Australia and the connections to land, see and community.
Speaker 2: We pay our respects to their elders past and present and extend that respect to all Aboriginal and Torrestraight Islander peoples today. This episode was recorded on Gadigal Land.