Speaker 1: It's in the news today, but it was actually on TV reloadan podcast last week. They're by Stacy. Thank you for joining me on TV Reload today, my long standing friend, I can't believe you haven't deleted me.
Speaker 2: Well, I've tried a million times, and you keep creating these other fake profiles reading me.
Speaker 1: Well, we've been talking garbage for about eleven years now. But you know what's really interesting about it is that we haven't collaborated on really anything since doing Big Brother, And for a lot of people listening to this, they wouldn't even know we did Big Brother because it was so long ago.
Speaker 2: It was very long ago. I'm definitely irrelevant now, but you're still trying to fly the flag quite hard. Then thanks for bringing me out of the fame.
Speaker 1: Would work well. Each week I will be joined by rotating guests that will unpack all of your favorite TV shows as I help you pick what to watch and discuss all the latest TV shows right across all of your free toware streaming services. Stacy. This week we will be discussing Australian Idol, Married at First Sight, Australian Survivor, and then we're going to finish off the pod with some you know what to watch, which is Amazon Prime have a new show with Nicole Kidman, So I'm going to tell you about that.
Speaker 2: You're going to just talk at me about Nicole Kibben the whole time.
Speaker 1: Look, there's also a long awaited second series of a TV show on Apple Plus, which took seven years for them to make the second season, So we're going to talk about that. And there's also a new series on SBS, and I have to ask you, do you watch any SBS at all at your place?
Speaker 2: I really love SBS and I think I'm going to name a few shows and they're probably going to be ABC ones, but then also one that I am obsessed with and I know was definitely on SBS. It's not Australian, so I don't even want to talk about it. But season five of Fargo. Have you watched that?
Speaker 1: No? But should I watch that?
Speaker 2: It is the most incredible. So for those that are listening, there has been five seconds of Fargo and it's set off the show that was from years ago, and the first one had Billy Bob Thorton in it, then the second one had Curs and Dunce, but this one's got the girl from Ted lasso in It and John Hands for John Ham seest man on the like very sexy, dilfy vibes.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, have you tried to zoom in on all of his photos to see his crutch?
Speaker 2: Because oh, this is what I'm telling you about Fargo, Because in the second episode you get to see his full last wig an ass shot.
Speaker 1: It's the full Ham.
Speaker 2: We get the full wee get to eat the full Ham. It's just yeah, I just I just really love it.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm obsessed. I'm gonna watch it and watch all five seasons by the end of today.
Speaker 2: Report back.
Speaker 1: So we need to kick this off with merret at first sight and I don't know much about what your relationship with this show is. But it's back and it's bigger than ever. Australia's favorite social experiment returns for its most polarizing season of next level drama and a whole lot of love. But look, it's back on Channel nine. This season of Maths will push the limits on everything viewers think they know about the series. There will be even more heart pounding romance, highly addictive drama with twists, turns and shots. Even beyond final vows. There will be rivalry, betrayals and heartbreak. Of course, I mean this is maps right, so it kind of.
Speaker 2: It's totally enoughs And look, I going back to your question about you know what my relationship is. I was such a lover from the first series, like it was groundbreaking. You remember when it came out, We're all like, oh my god, what was this. It was a whole gay marriage thing, they can get married. I was picketing for that, but then started to get into that wish wash and I guess it was similar to Big Brother. I remember it was so groundbreaking when it started. Everyone was obsessed, and it just starts to get into the same format, the same dramas, the same scandals, the same idiots just want to up their Instagram following. I logged off the past couple of years because it just I felt and look, I'm the dumbest bitch of at most times. But as I said, when I watched it, I felt dumber from watching these people because it was so obvious what they wanted for. But you making me want it to talk about on this podcast. I was really pleasantly surprised, and I got hope this year. I think the producers have kind of taken that feedback on board. Not for me personally obviously.
Speaker 1: Because I emailed them late at night while eating some doritos.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just sending a voice memos. Hey. From what I've seen from the first episode, I really I'm really excited to see like the craziness of what's going to happen this year, but also the love because you can see I feel like they've really matched these people quite.
Speaker 1: Well, and you love to love.
Speaker 2: I have to love.
Speaker 1: The introduction though of this year's participants. I thought was really quite amazing as well, because it does sort of live and die on how well we connect to these personality types. Right, do you already have any favorites, because I feel like with this show, my favorites are the ones that I love to hate totally.
Speaker 2: Look and I think they were pretty soft with these first two Sarah and Timan and Cassandra's. But what they do quite well is they blend them all together and then they do a really good story on the two that you would end up flipping and hating. So like, for example, I was watching the Sarah and Tim and I was like, Wow, he's really amazing. He loves Ethio. He's going to be amazing. And then you get to the Best Man's speech and sounds like he's like happy to let anyone go down on him, do you know what I mean? Like it's it's a very weird flip so like it's very up and down. It's like you love this person, you like, I'm already setting this dude up with my friends. If it's not it's not working out with the fake accent chick.
Speaker 1: And then I think her accent's real. I think Sarah's accents real. She's from Columbia, maybe she was there on a holiday.
Speaker 2: I'm not convinced. The fake accent is a unique selling point for any talent. That's what I think she's gunning in for. Actually, I'm telling you now, she's a nutritionist. Like I bet every dollar in my bank account and we got a triple at which is all the fifty dollars that she has some fitness platform like a sand By twenty eight wood thing.
Speaker 1: Of course, of course, why wouldn't she And you deserve that, Sarah, You deserve that, Sarah. You know I wanted to ask you about that whole Best Man's speech and what they are alluding to. How did you read that? Because he said that. Did he say that he got head in a car.
Speaker 2: Like a hedge job addict? Okay, yeah, yeah, I'm sorry if that sounds rude.
Speaker 1: But were they still the same story. Did you think they got head in the car and then ended up in hospital or do you think that he got head in the car and then went to hospital and then got head again I could have woke out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's actually the point.
Speaker 1: And was it a nurse. Were they alluding to the fact that, you know, some doctor just thought, you know, doctor doctor, give me the news, I'm going to go down on you like maybe.
Speaker 2: I yeah, actually is a really good plan, Like maybe he was in the car and then like because they got pulled over or whatever, he couldn't finish and so then when something happened, they had to go to the hospital and.
Speaker 1: Where someone else finished him up. Or is it the same person dorecon Surely it was the.
Speaker 2: Same person, And they sound like they're quite into the whole idea of it. It's like doing the promiscuous toot and beeping around town.
Speaker 1: You know. Yeah, I want to know of your opinion of this, because you got married a couple of years ago and you have to select a certain type of people to get up and represent you. So they're going to get up and make your best man's speech, your bridesmaid speech, and there's a certain amount of responsibility that you're handing over to someone. And I think it's a representation of the relationship. The wedding, the people that are getting married, the people that get up should be telling stories that represent the love that exists in that relationship a polutely.
Speaker 2: I mean, hello, that's the reason why I asked you to EMC at our wedding. And there was a dildo joke within the first two minutes, which I love and was an absolute hit. But you want to pick those people that really love you and that really know you every inch ofview from the funny stories, but really it's all it should be all hot and obviously that's why I chose you to talk about us and through my EMC my wedding, and the same thing should go with your best man and whatever. It's similar to the Cassandra and Tristan like that wedding just looked so gorgeous and when the dad got up, it was the most beautiful, moving speech, and that's what it really should be.
Speaker 1: Like, how do you vet someone. Do you think that the user has had a duty of care there? And do you believe that they would have read that guy's speech and gone this is this is bonkers. Do you think they would have added stuff to that? Do you think they would have egged him on? Because I just don't believe. This doesn't land well for me. I feel like it's a bit of a TV moment that's kind of been staged because I can't imagine anyone is going to get up and say that kind of stuff at your wedding.
Speaker 2: I've been to some really boguan weddings, like where a lot of like a lot of the speeches are really random, and like that's the thing, Like you've got a lot of about to say. I don't want to share this speech. It's going to be a surprise. Like I've honestly been to a lot of them where they're not nearly as bad as the King of these jobs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this one, but it was pretty bad. You know. The other question I wanted to ask you because you did bring up Cassandra and Tristan and their wedding and how amazing it was. We did get to see some very heartbreaking stories when it came to Cassandra, I mean her original book. You know, her long standing high school sweetheart had died, her mum had passed away. Do you think that this show abuses its participants by selecting people who might be just a little bit too fragile for this experiment.
Speaker 2: You could probably look at it that way, But I think we look at it that way if we see her running into a train crash of a marriage, but by hand on her. Honestly, think with someone like her, I would say they need an extra duty of care because they've already been through such a mental load of crap through life and losing people so close to them, Like there's nothing worse than what that woman has experienced. Like so I feel like they probably already set out that they're going to be the success story, and then they probably focused on them, and then I reckon the Joe blows in between, the crazy people, the Byron Bay Lady, like they're going to be up, They're going to be the seat fillers and just bring the content. But there's always those speckles of the real love stories that eighty percent going to work. And like there's so many mass couples that have gone on to have marriage, babe marriages, and it's nice to see. So I feel like their aim, I reckon is to have like one of those successful couples throughout the season and then their jobs done.
Speaker 1: The question I then need to ask you is, out of those two marriages that we saw in the first episode, do you think either of those relationships are going to work long term? And when I say long term, I don't mean just getting to the end of the show and collecting all your followers. Would either of these two relationships exist in the real world without the camera.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's hard to know. It's hard to know from the first episode, but like you do see speckles. I could probably put money on Cassin and Tristan because they seem quite well suited. But the other two, I don't know. They it's already she got chitsy at the wedding and the friends are kind of already diving in and it's just bad vibes from the get go. It's a shame. But if you've got problems from day one or things that are robbing you the wrong way from day one, like it ain't gonna work.
Speaker 1: Coming But maybe they're just the battle lines being drawn that's what I think. I think these two big personalities have got together. Interestingly enough, at the end of the episode where we saw Tim saying to Sarah to calm down, and I love that because you know, in the history of telling anyone to calm down when they're fully bonkers, no one's ever calmed down. And it's I wanted to know, in your relationship, if Grant told you to calm down in an argument, how would you react. Would you react like Sarah or you know, would you divorce.
Speaker 2: Him literally divorced? I would roll him down the hill, push him onto the highway, and tell him in the history of my calmness, it's not right now. But there's just like it's a one on one you never tell like I'm with her on that. I was with Sarah on that. I was like, it's in a way that the men say it too. It's so blan It's like calm down, no, no, no, no. He was like, oh, calm down, Like it's such a it's just such a condescending man to say. I just effing hate it. I'm not into it. My blood world.
Speaker 1: Seeing that you know things about this show that I really enjoy, though, is what they've borrowed from other shows. Did you know that when they were structuring those relationship experts and having those moments that we'll see later in the season where they watch those dinner parties, they're literally goggle boxing what's actually happening on the show. And it was really clever decision and it is one of my favorite things about Maths. I love watching these three people talk about the contestants. It really is like watching someone goggle box what's happening?
Speaker 2: What about? Can we talk about that Alessandra woman, like she's the world's sexiest woman, Like there's something about her that's so beautiful, and then it's the accent on top and she's kind of like this j Loo Sophia Vigara kind of like you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Yes I speak Brazilian, so yes, I understood exactly what you said there, and that is that you wish that you're Brazilian and you're coming back in your next life as her.
Speaker 2: She can be saying something we have no idea what she's saying about love and sex and whatever, but you're just kind of annoying at her, going yes, whenever you say, queen, clean up the.
Speaker 1: Love, will you know that. I love to give you a name drop. But I was out at a gay night club in Sydney. Don't know why you weren't there, because you were born there. I was drinking with farmer Dave, who you would know, and so we were having shots at the bar and she happened to be standing next to us, and so we did shots with Alessandra at a gay night club in Sydney. Is that not the campus thing you've ever heard?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that's absolutely heaven.
Speaker 1: And she was willing. She was the one who said, I said, can I buy you a drink? Because we were talking to her because obviously, you know, anyone's famous in the room, I've stuck to them like glue. And she said yeah. She was like, I can't do the accent, and I would probably be being racist if I tried, but yeah, she suggested we have shots. So we had shots with her and she was really really fun.
Speaker 2: Did you feel sexier instilling after that?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Well, I mean I was really there just for the photo opportunity to put it on the ground, but you know.
Speaker 2: I'm upset.
Speaker 1: Okay, So just to finish off with MAVs, did you have a highlight from the episode.
Speaker 2: My highlight honestly was this sounds really weird, but the Cassandra's family, they just seem like the most beautiful, amazing people that obviously have been through really shitty time and it just gives you a little bit of hope. I think that that was my highlight, just seeing someone that had a bit of a shit time in life now she's onto something quite good.
Speaker 1: So so that's telling me that you watch this show for the heart, because you know, I know.
Speaker 2: It sounds really weird. I think it's because at first show they kind of were pulling at people's heart strings, like there wasn't any craziness, but they started to kind of mix. Oh actually no, I tell a lie who's the crazy shit with the tips everywhere? And she said she wants to root the husband, the dad, root the uncle.
Speaker 1: I think it's Lauren.
Speaker 2: I mean they sprinkled her. She seems quite good. But I really did like the Cassandra good heart kind of vine and then the sprinkle of all of the like.
Speaker 1: What's crazy the Bay Lady, the Byron Bay Lady, Listenda Light? Is she a real person? Do you reckon? She's an actor? Is she a real person?
Speaker 2: I mean you've been to Byron Bay, like I've got married there.
Speaker 1: It's like there's one on every in Byron. But anyway, look married at first sight. I've made you watch the first episode. Are you going to keep watching it? In twenty twenty four?
Speaker 2: I am, actually, I am, I'm going to keep watching it.
Speaker 1: Well. Australian Idol is back twenty one years after Guy Sebastian pipped Shannon Nol to become Australia's first Idol. The International star making Sensation returns to Channel seven. Radio king Kyle Sandy Lance and TV week LOGI Award winning and acclaimed singer Amy Shark are joined by og and pop legend Marsha Hines in this rebooted series. Just Forget that last year happened because it was a terrible train wreck. Where were you when this show first started on TV? Because I want to ask you how old you were?
Speaker 2: I no, do you know what? I actually think? I was living in New Zealand one this day you missed it? Was it two thousand and two or two thousand and three?
Speaker 1: Two thousand and three, So.
Speaker 2: I was living in New Zealand. But I think we got a little bit of wind of it. There, Like, we only just got television in New Zealand in two thousand and three, so it was like the first show to come on, so we still knew about it back then, but it was massive. It was an absolute phenomenon and like just generally the vibe of how many people that it can actually sing out there is kind of still quite freaky.
Speaker 1: Does Australia still want to watch singing shows though? Because I can't even imagine you and Grant watching a singing show on television. Do you still want to watch those sorts of reality, that sort of reality?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think what, to be honest with you, the reason why I want to watch it is to watch the bad people singing. That's the best part for me. It's people that actually line up there for a full day, think that they've got a hope, and then they get in there and they are like, sound like a dead cat. It's the best part of it.
Speaker 1: I am too sexy for your love.
Speaker 2: I'm obsessed with him.
Speaker 1: His name was Louis. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It was an absolute standout. That's literally how you look without makeup.
Speaker 1: Dead. He looked like he was a vampire that had just recently feasted on a body and then he came in and sung that song.
Speaker 2: Bless him, but he's a freaking he's a freak of the week. But also he looks like me, Like you know, or women will know this when you're young and you're just like trying to figure out what colorment you are with foundation and you go into the local price line and you think that you're an ivory, but really you're something else, and you're just basically having the widest face of her for about two years, but you can't afford.
Speaker 1: I actually love watching this launch episode and I was really dubious about it because I didn't enjoy last year. Super sorry Channel seven, but I actually think that Marshall Hines brings this format together really well.
Speaker 2: When I saw that she was announced as a judge, admittingly, I was like, really, like she's been away for like twenty years from the Spotlight. But I've got to say she's a queen, Like she's an un queen. She's got a very quite a calm call. She's like someone that you want to take advice from.
Speaker 1: You're welcome.
Speaker 2: She's just got that soul and she's a really beautiful person and I love look. I really love seeing her relationship with Kyle. I think he's just amazing marches to the beating of his own drum, obviously, and he doesn't mean like he actually has got a lot of heart.
Speaker 1: And she brings that out of him. It's really nice to watch.
Speaker 2: It's really nice to what people said.
Speaker 1: They wouldn't watch a Strain and Iol because Kyle Sanderlanz was there, and you know those people what.
Speaker 2: I don't understand why people are so angry at him. He says the same stuff that people say online on TikTok on Instagram. It's funny. He says all the same shit that we think about and say behind their back. And look, he doesn't have a bad heart. Like for those of you that like listen to their show or whatever and see a lot of what he does. He does really good stuff. It's just this whole old kind of personality that they have, I think the idea of his old personality. But look, I think I agree with you.
Speaker 1: I think I'm obsessed with Kyle and Jackio and I'm obsessed with Kyle being on this show because it is showing that side of him. And kudos to Marsha for being able to bring that out. But I wanted to ask you about nostalgia TV shows because we do see a lot of shows being brought back for the nostalgia factor, and we saw it recently with Gladiators and people only turned up for the Night one. They only wanted to turn up for the fields of Night one, and then they didn't stick around beyond that. Do you think that these nostalgia programs, stuff that we've seen on TV, you know, over twenty years, still has a place on television.
Speaker 2: There must be some research in it, because the networks keep bringing these shows back, and I think what the process would be is that maybe a new show comes on and that makes people either complain online or there's chatter or whatever to say, this show sucks, you should bring this back, you should bring this back. It was so good, And then we are really looped into that nostalgia and we're so connected to that nostalgia that anything that we compare it with, even if it's a new format, just doesn't work because it's not the old one.
Speaker 1: I think, well, it's really dangerous to be able to try and bring these shows back because people amalgamate the shows and so like, even when they bought Big Brother back for Channel seven, and they try to do something different with it. The way in which they talked about the ye oldie days, if Big Brother wasn't really what it was, they sort of conglomerated it together and they were like, for that show to work, it needs to be live, it needs to have Friday night games, and it needs to have all of these things. Well none of those things that were in the original series, where it was just Sarah Marie slapping her bum and a bunch of people that you'd go out with on a Friday night. You know.
Speaker 2: The other point to that, I think is we now interact with technology, with our own brains and with what we want to experience. Now, we don't have the attention span to sit there and watch Sarah Marie.
Speaker 1: And Chris bum yeah, or have a.
Speaker 2: Like talk shit for thirty minutes and then us relate to that to escape. We've got scrolling five minutes, tapping in, tapping out, doing this, seeing something ninety seconds of If you're not giving me anything to laugh at or that's interesting or anything a hook, then we're out.
Speaker 1: So I got up shorter. We want it sharper, we want it accessible, and we.
Speaker 2: Packed more of a punch in every single sea. You know, same with Big Brother. It's like, let's put Love Island, let's put Survivor, and let's pull Big Brother all into one.
Speaker 1: Yeah it was a bad idea, but do you know what I think is working with idle And I must admit I wasn't looking forward to talking about the show today because I hadn't enjoyed it as much last year. You know, it just was a bit of a disappointment. However, I actually think that they're making this show work. It is a bit shorter and sharper and faster, and I really enjoyed this launch episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I actually really I think and I know we're going to talk about Survivor and we're survival people. I actually think Idol was my number one because it pleasantly surprised me. It had all the bangs. Kyle Santelance cried within the first half an.
Speaker 1: Hour, brilliant. They needed that whoever's producing that show, give them a LOGI that's it.
Speaker 2: We had all the types that we had, the freak of the week, we had the girl, the thing coming out in pink, and like the funny stuff with people going no, just like turn around, honey and go home. We had, you know, the really beautiful, amazing singers we got to see go to balleratte and get to see the beautiful talent. It's kind of there.
Speaker 1: And I could have done without that. To be honest, you know what I've felt like the episode kind of being I mean, Marsha turned up and she looked like she was doing I.
Speaker 2: Don't wanted to say what she wore, like basically Willie Nelson into Amazing.
Speaker 1: She turned up and looked like she was doing cosplay from you know, Dancers with Wolves. She looked Indian, I.
Speaker 2: Think like the Harry Styles guy Ripley was in prodile.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, here's my favorite. That's what I was going to ask you, who's your favorite contestant? It has to be saying.
Speaker 2: But I also the girl that came in and didn't take on any feedback and then just continued to just talk at people the entire time about how she.
Speaker 1: Can change Arena.
Speaker 2: It's basically like managing someone. She was basically like an that would be a nightmare to manage. It's like, just do this, but can I do this better? How can I do this? It's like it's the worst.
Speaker 1: She tried to Karen Marsha, which I just thought was really good television. Do I want to go back to the original point where I was talking to you about because I think the magic of this show comes down to the likability of the contestants. You can't just be a good singer. You need to have a personality type that pops. That would work if they went on trying a celebrity, which Shannon Old did, or it would work if they went onto Celebrity Apprentice, which Shannon Old did. Like I feel like Australian Idol, Whilst it's a singing show, it really lifts when we get to find an unearthed new personality.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they do, because I.
Speaker 1: Royston from last year, great singer from Hillsong, will hold that against you. He didn't really have a personality to go with it. So whilst he was a brilliant singer, how is he going to have the longevity in an industry like Australia where you and I both know it's very small, it's very hard to get into and if you've got the personality of a Koala bear that's stuck up a tree, how are you going to sell albums?
Speaker 2: Wasn't that the purpose? Like the point like in a Hills song. Isn't that the point that you're all singing along like Sally Ane like, and you all sound really amazing. I just don't think that appeals obviously to this friend in the public. Actually I tell her because obviously it did. But there's some really incredible ones that it worked for, Like Lisa Mitchell was incredible. I think she saw No, she wasn't hell song, but she was from like an Australian singing either x actually okay, and then.
Speaker 1: Colter She's not from any religious group or any singing.
Speaker 2: No, but I don't know who styled her on this show. She doesn't look the best.
Speaker 1: I loved that dress. Do you mean that that big black dress with the little belt.
Speaker 2: I'm not into it. She needs to be She's so beautiful, she's got such an amazing figure. She needs to be in the full Beyonce esque style outfit like I'm talking the little box like they dressed her up like a mum from Bloody out West Well Stacy.
Speaker 1: Today's special guests, which I did tell you about, is Rick Coolter and she's listening right now.
Speaker 2: I loved your first outfit on the show.
Speaker 1: It was maybe it was a little bit older age for.
Speaker 2: She's such a fabulous woman, like she needs to be dressed in something better.
Speaker 1: Okay, well we both know Jol. We'll get Joel to pass it on before we leave from Australian Idol. Will you keep watching it? I feel like this is your hangover show. I feel like on Saturdays and Sunday mornings you're going to be on the laptop.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I will be doing Settle uptop hangover game. I'll still be watching. I'll probably watch it during the on the weekends and play catch up with it and then do the rest during the week.
Speaker 1: Sounds like a plan. On Monday night. Australian Survivor also returned to Samoa with twenty four, all new players divided into Titans versus rebels. While the Titans are described as the master of their craft, the head honchos, the overachievers, the rebels are the mavericks, the ones who don't play by the rules. Although Network ten told me to remind my listeners that Survivor challenges do have very clear rules, so you know, those rebels probably don't have much proximity to step out of but across forty seven days they will all take part in reward challenges, immunity challenges, and tribal council in the pursuit of half a million dollars. By the way, half a million, do.
Speaker 2: You think that because that might ears pricked up with that too, because no one's ever heard of that amount for years or since. Maybe the block is like that. Do you think that's because it's got such a great following homeseas that they know.
Speaker 1: I think you need to offer half a million dollars through the type of personalities that need to go on that show, because if you look at the people that apply, they aren't your and this is why I like this show. They're not your reality TV contestants that you would see on some of these other shows. They don't come across as I mean, maybe George did a little bit, and maybe there are a few people this season, Eden being one of them. You know, maybe there are a few people that want to create this big television career out of it. But I think the personality types that come to this champions in their career and willing to press paus on that to go on a reality show because they want to be challenged and they want half a million dollars and without that half a million dollars. If you were that woman who ran boost juice, what's her name, Janine, would she give up her career to go on a vivor of it wasn't half a million dollars, you know?
Speaker 2: Well, I do think for her it was something about the money. I think for her it was a mental and like to push her body into to mentally kind of push herself because for me, and this is the thing, and I assume this is a reason why half the show is zoomed in shots of their abs. Like most of these people their body and their abs. But I feel like they're people that are on the show when you're at the gym. They're the people like I'm in the corner, you know, someone's telling me to do ten ber beause I'm doing tune, just but making drawing it out the whole five minutes to make it look like ten. These are the people that are up the front that have done tens, like sit ups and things in the internut. These are the people that go that extra mile. They're the freaks of the weeks, right.
Speaker 1: I really are. I Mean I picture you only ever at the gym, drinking a lot of time perving on people and then.
Speaker 2: And I'm telling jokes like.
Speaker 1: Staying in that active way for the rest of the day.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I need new active way. If anyone's listening, I'm here, stacks muscle. I'm ready for my fitness blogging error, and I need some new sets to make sure I'm at least blending in with these bloody cool kids.
Speaker 1: What makes you love this show? Because we do both love this show. We both watch it and we would have watched it without doing this podcast today. Why do you and Granny love watching this show?
Speaker 2: Because it's got that mix of physical and but more for me, the mental. So what I love is watching the people blend where you've got the people that go oh yeah, cool, like the gym junkies that are in there, that look very strong, that can win the battles and the but then that's only like what two hours of the day when you go into the game and this, I think what we do quite well into Big Brother is really emotionally manipulating people. And that's the stuff I want to watch on TV. Absolutely at their working at their peak.
Speaker 1: It's actually a really quick question. I don't want to go down the rabbit hole with this too. Far. But with Big Brother, when we did it back in the day, you couldn't collude. You couldn't do what they do in Survivor, which is gang up on people to get them eliminated. But would you still say that when we were doing that show, there was kind of an unspoken arrangement by people like, yeah.
Speaker 2: Totally, and it naturally happens. And that's what happens on Survivor. You see people naturally form. You see the alphas look in the first episode, whether it was the Jesse versus the other Chess versus Frank Frankie, how did these people become the top of the range and how did these people become isolated to have people gang up on them straight away. They're women that are quite strong. They're women that had opinions you don't like it's one oh one, don't be seen during that first episode as having too much of a voice.
Speaker 1: I love those two women that came on that show because the first two Boots that we got to see this week were fantastic, and those women went hard and they were polarizing, and you know, it's bringing in new people to watch this show because you know, Lord knows this is a very good show with it cult following, but it needs more people to watch it if we want to keep it on television. And I think that the first week was just quite amazing. I was wondering, though, and I wanted to ask you. I thought you'd watch this show for the men in the speedos, like Nathan and Alex in those speedos, like are you okay?
Speaker 2: That's a big part of it. But I know the actual reason why I want to watch it is because I have a massive man crush on Johnathan.
Speaker 1: And Parlier all day every day him.
Speaker 2: Like there's something about his voice, there's something about the hat, like he's just sexy man Like, he's got a vibe, like like, yeah, the running around in the speedos as they lose the weight, I'm less interested, but I'm.
Speaker 1: Into, oh my god, Like, you couldn't lose weight faster than a show like Survivor. I mean, Zempig's got nothing on these guys.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: This year, though, it's a whole cast of newbies, so audiences might might be taking a little bit of time to get to know all the players. I want to know from your first take on this show, do you have any favorites and if you need to describe them to me, so I'll tell you who they are. We can do that.
Speaker 2: No, I'm sorry to know. I will say with Survivor, it's such a blender. It's really hard to know their names as soon as you first first watched the first couple of episodes. I do.
Speaker 1: Leave the name blocks on the screen for the first three episodes every time someone's talking, is what I have to say.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a kind of an older lady. She looks really beautiful, she's a bit older. What they're doing with her, she looks like she's going to be someone that's quite a head turner. She's got she's they keep. She kind of says a lot with her. Honest, I do like the Russian lady with the kylamino version of the blue hotpants. The least practical things ever that I bring in, so I think i'd be her friend with and she brought in the fluffy coat. I'm kind of into.
Speaker 1: Her, I Retten, that was YouTube. I mean that coat, the upside down Denise Richard's coat, the lips, the hair, the make up, the whole thing is very Stacy Wrens.
Speaker 2: And I also just love how they like have like a pole and then it's like everyone's jackets and it's like, you know, dry as a bone or something like really good. They're a raincoat for someone to keep them all and her just like shitty bluffy blue puffa jacket. It's furry and it's from Sees and she's like, Yep, that's definitely what I'm taking fiber. She's going to go real far.
Speaker 1: We don't expect nothing less from you. I think if you were in Survivor, that is what you would wear. But I want to know what would your strategy be if you ended up on a series, no matter what theme it is, how would you play that game?
Speaker 2: I think exactly the way that I play. I'm a long game girl, so I'm.
Speaker 1: A social game. So you did the social game in.
Speaker 2: The social game. Yeah, I'm not a physical person, like in more ways than one, kind of get to know people, start to understand and see how things fall out, and I affirm a view and then I can just pop a teer from a farm.
Speaker 1: You understand paint like when paint like, I actually think you'd be really good at it. I think you're selling yourself short when it comes to some of those physical challenges. I mean we're talking to a woman whose beauty routine involves a lot of pain. You know, if it's something in it for you, if there's something in it for you, you will get that shit done. So I actually think you'd be quite good at some of that physical stuff as well, but your social game would slay. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think that I've got a good view of social game. You'll probably get me throught it out, probably more earlier, but I think I could push through to the end with the beauty game. I'm telling you, I don't know. I I haven't had experienced childbirth, but getting your lips done is the very close up there to pain. That's all I'm going to say.
Speaker 1: But it's every word, every bit. Do you remember when you sent me like do you think I should get this done? And we sort of back and forth with a few text messages and then you did the first one with a very light, subtle lip pricks. Yeah, yeah, and then a little bit more for the next one. But I feel like it's it's on, like this is a podcast and people can't say it, but fuck me, those lips look great. You've got the wrong plumbing for me though, so that well, I wanted to talk to you about the so called popular group. So you've got Mark, Eden, Charles, Viola, Valeria, Caroline and Kitty. They make up this misfit connection, right, and that leaves Nathan, Frankie and Jaden apparently as this popular group. But I get really confused with this whole thing, you know, when I'm watching reality shows, because is there a popular group? Like did Nathan and Frankie and Jaden behave in a way that made them look like they were Tray the alpha?
Speaker 2: They were the alphas?
Speaker 1: People so triggered by it. If you look online, people are so triggered by those three people that are Nathan, Frankie and Jaden. They need to go and they love Eden and Mark and Charles like.
Speaker 2: It's easy, babe, it's high school. It's going into high school. That it's the loud people, the people with the muscles. It's like any new gym and that you join. There's always those people at these gyms that they're always there. They've got the friends, they're always moving around like they've got that you know, like puff puff give and then yeah, it's it's high school basically, and it's.
Speaker 1: A puff puff give.
Speaker 2: I just well, it's actually disrepted some sort of marijuana things, So maybe let's not focus on that.
Speaker 1: We'll put that underneath in the disclaimer that may involve talking about drugs and.
Speaker 2: Pop it in the show notes that's the best way to watch the reality TV is fuck up a joint and golf.
Speaker 1: That is actually probably a good way to do it, or an edible. Who would be your Okay, So in that first episode, did you think Frankie deserved to go home or did you think it should have been Jets.
Speaker 2: I wanted to see more of Jess. I think she was a long gamer and I wanted to see more of her strategies play out. But she came into hot too quick. Frankie also came into hot too quick, and they blindsided her, which is great, but that's now less. Nathan explodes.
Speaker 1: I know, poor Nathan and those blue speedos. I've never felt more exposed. His body is ridiculous. Okay, So are you going to keep watching Survivor? I feel like they answered to that as academic.
Speaker 2: Absolutely can't not watch it. It's going to get really good.
Speaker 1: I think it's a good season and we've only seen, like, you know, a couple of episodes. Well, we need to wrap this up, and we wrapped the podcast up each week with what to watch on the box. I'm going to quickly take you through a few things. So Prime Video drops a new series of expats, a new series called ex Pats, I should say, which has Nicole Kidman. Have you heard about ex Pats? It was? It is directed by Lulu Wang, who did The Farewell, which was a beautiful movie. I don't know if you saw that movie. It was fantastic. I think at one at Oscar What do you know about Expats on Amazon Prime and are you going to watch it?
Speaker 2: Absolutely know nothing about it other than what you just told me, but it sounds great.
Speaker 1: Well, it's about I'll just quickly say that it's about families from all over the world that found themselves in Hong Kong as ex pats, and it talks about the community of expats in Hong Kong. It is quite compelling. It is a very slow start from what I've been able to see of it so far, but it does get stronger as it goes on.
Speaker 2: And you've su in that concept. I have a few friends that lived in Hong Kong for like ten and that sounds like the wildst place ever.
Speaker 1: And it's it is a culture within itself to be the Yeah, fascinating to be the expat. But also this show explores what the people who live in Hong Kong think of expats living in their country, and that I think is where the Jews comes from watching this series awesome.
Speaker 2: Okay, well I'll watch it.
Speaker 1: Okay. Apple Plus is going to release its second series of Feud. The first series of Feud, which had Susan Surandon and Jessica Lang, was on television in twenty seventeen, during the time of Big Little Eyes first season. They're giving you some perspective of how long it has been since we have seen the first series. Did you watch the first run of Feud where Susan Sarandon and Jessica Lang battled it out on that show?
Speaker 2: No? I didn't, but I'm obsessed with both of those actresses.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we'll watch it.
Speaker 2: If you're If it's in the big little Larvee realm.
Speaker 1: It's more Ryan Murphy, oh amazing, very glitz, very glamour. But look it is back, and this time round, you've got Nami Watts, you've got Callista Flockhart. It is centered around Capoti this time round, so it's a completely different story. Capodi, to me, is a very polarizing character, and I feel like for a seven part series, having Capodi having too much screen time might be the downfall of this show. But look, you've got some really amazing names like, as I said, Nami Watts and even Jessica Lang's in it, which I think, yeah, yeah, it's glamour, it's very you. But I think you'll be turned off by the Capoti. The level of Capoti. It's very hard.
Speaker 2: It's like sim Or Hoffman, Capoti.
Speaker 1: Vibes well, no, that Capoti, and I actually was thinking about that a lot. I felt like the movie Capodi, Philip Simo Hoffman toned down a lot of the truth of Capodi because he really is a hard character to watch in general, and I think that was kind of the magic of that film and the reason why Philip Cima Hoffman won the Oscar is. I think it's a hard task for any actor to try and bring Capodi to life and have people watch him for longer than five minutes, because he's disgusting anyway.
Speaker 2: That's really amazing. I can't went to watch.
Speaker 1: The last one is SBS has a new series called Culprits. I would never have watched it, and I don't think you would have either, But I just want to quickly say I was recommended at We've started watching it and it's very addictive. I'll just quickly talk to you a little bit about that, which is I've got a synopsis. Actually I'm not even going to read the synopsisa we're runn out of time, but I will tell you it's about a whole bunch of hit men that have given up their hit men lifestyle and have become you know, They've got married, they've had children. It's very kill bill esk and then someone decides to come back and start killing all of these hitmen and revenging against them. The protagonist is a man straight away when you meet him, he's a person of color, and he's married to another man of person of color, and it's very sexy watching the dynamic between those two hot men, let me tell you. But the whole series is really quite compelling and I would never have heard about it anyway. It's Culprits. It's on SBS.
Speaker 2: Okay, I might watch it with my husband because I feel like and I don't know if you'll like this but like I need. I want to watch reality TV all day. I want to watch your Housewives of Salt Like City all day every day. That's all I want to watch. But I have need to share the counch with my husband, who either wants to watch the SBA shows like Alone or you know, somewhere where someone's getting killed and guarded it the whole time. So I need that, like that middleman father is actually that middleman for like a couple show.
Speaker 1: I think we need those. I think it's I call it sing the d which is you know, you've got to balance it out, Like I could just be in my room watching Golden Girls, to be honest, all day every day, but then we'll not have a bar of it because he he and Grant both share a very sommat. Actually, Ben's a bit of a mix between you guys, because he's.
Speaker 2: The horror phone. I don't know about that.
Speaker 1: I can't watch the horror shows, but he's there for the housewives. So look, you know I've got something. You've survived your first episode and the alarm went off three minutes ago to tell me to wrap it up and shut up. What do you think? How did you go?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Good? I loved it. Did I say anything really bad? Sorry? Well, I hope I sound funny and good. Tell them to give it their best shot.
Speaker 1: Letter okay, no, the best. I can't thank you enough. I'll quite you letter to tell you about my love point. I go back