Speaker 1: Laura.
Speaker 2: Come on, hello lady, Hello britt Laura Gows. Have you noticed that I'm looking a little, a little tan, more tan than usual?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: But is that not from all your hot girl walks, Mitch, because you've been you've been doing some serious step counts.
Speaker 2: No, no, I walk every day. No, I've started. I saw this new trend on TikTok, and I haven't told you that I've been doing it. But I've been eating a carrot a day, and apparently that the orange pigment from the carrot seeps into your skin.
Speaker 4: Surely not No, you'd need to be eating more than one a day, surely, Midge.
Speaker 2: Well, they say up to twelve, but I don't have that much time nor carrots.
Speaker 5: I reckon.
Speaker 6: You've just been using a little bit of BONDI sands gradual tan. No, no, no, I've been doing a little glow.
Speaker 2: I've been chumming down on a carrot as I drive.
Speaker 5: It makes it absolutely no difference.
Speaker 6: Otherwise my children would be literally orange, because I reckon, they eat about seventeen carrots a day.
Speaker 7: Can we do like a trial of this somehow?
Speaker 5: Yes, Brute, you can eat twelve carrots and report back.
Speaker 7: Oh I don't think I have anything. I had a carrot last night. Actually, for everyone, this is groundbreaking.
Speaker 5: I had one.
Speaker 2: Britain is really brave view. What did you do last night?
Speaker 4: I do feel like it's it's the right place to share. I had a carrot last night?
Speaker 5: Was it cooked or both?
Speaker 2: Half raw?
Speaker 7: And then I half cooked it?
Speaker 4: But my point is I believe by the end of the one carrot I couldn't do.
Speaker 7: More, so there's no way I could be chomping down on twelve.
Speaker 2: So did you boil half a carrot?
Speaker 5: So please please show is better than this. I swear it.
Speaker 3: Is not ware.
Speaker 4: I mean finish, please, Laura, please don't finish what I did.
Speaker 5: What I did.
Speaker 4: It was supposed to be grated, to be cooked. But I'm one of those people that never eats my dinner once it's cooked, because I eat along the way, you know, when you snack.
Speaker 7: On all your food before the meal comes.
Speaker 2: I didn't think I could lose more interest in and I did.
Speaker 6: I mean, look, we have an amazing ask on Cut coming, which is what we do every single week. It's where you guys call in with you your listener questions, your big dilemmas, and I promise you it'll be more interesting than the carrot story.
Speaker 2: We have a very big guest on the show today as well. I'm excited about it.
Speaker 4: You. No. We have Daniel Ladley, former AFL great and she's got a new documentary on Stan which we have seen and it is incredible.
Speaker 7: It's an incredible story and.
Speaker 4: She's going to be coming on and revealing all about her two tribes.
Speaker 2: All right, I can't wait. That's all on the way for the pick up your Thursday. Welcome guys, where he thinks a Chemist Warehouse heading today, get great Savings every day. It is the pick up Britt, Laura and Mitch Hello, face the world with ceed to feel. Get your dermatologist recommended. Ceed to phel for a great price at Chemist Warehouse, Great savings every day. Put your therapy caps on. Although I don't think Britt Laura don't think therapists wear caps.
Speaker 5: Ready, Yeah, I think therapy pretty way. Whatever they want. We are doing, ask Uncut.
Speaker 4: Where you writing your deepest, darkest burning questions? Yes, we do our best to answer them.
Speaker 2: Let's do it, ask Urcut.
Speaker 4: We have one of our listeners, Step has called in with a bit of a problem.
Speaker 2: A high step Hello.
Speaker 3: Hey guys, I've got a bit of an issue I was hoping you guys could help me with. So I've always been really good friends with this guy, think like high school super good friends and always seeing there's like a big brother sort of type. The last sort of year or fo, I have been developing other feelings and he's also though at the back end of the divorce. So I'm like, number one, how do I broach the subject? But also at what point is too soon?
Speaker 5: How soon are we talking?
Speaker 3: Like how you yes, like a couple of weeks, like signed documents that have been separated for like a year that signed the documents. Actually a couple of weeks. That's been messy, so messy.
Speaker 6: Though, Steph, has he given you any any sort of sign that he's into you? Has there been anything that you could go, Look, I'm taking this bread crumbers as sign or a signal that maybe I'm in with a chance.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean in terms of like I supported him through like we're very close friends. So I feel like that's a bit of a sign that I just don't really know.
Speaker 4: I Look, Steph, I am a really big like shoot your shot person.
Speaker 7: I shoot my shots all the time.
Speaker 4: I think first and foremost here, you need to be a friend first, So you need to be there for him in every capacity as a friend. No pressure, no nothing make HI feel uncomfortable. Don't flirt, don't hit, don't even don't let him know anything unless you know he has one hundred percent moved on. Like if you know he's completely fine and he's in that next transition, baby, I'd be shooting that shot. I'd be letting him know, I'd be trying some moves. There's so many ways to flirt and like let him know, engaging in shoes.
Speaker 2: I'm with you, Britt. I think you need to be there and be a friend, but you need to be really sexy when you do it, like like, oh, let's go for a walk and wear some nice Lulu lemon, you know what I mean, some hot clothes and I think that'll play well for you. But I do want to say, you said I was there for him during the divorce and I was there a shout at a crayon? Did you do that knowing that you wanted to be with him? What was it? Was there an ulterior motive there? Maybe one day?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: No, no, always been friends, he's been in the last sort of little while though, so no ulterior motive that the relationship had ended. But because I've been support for him, I've been like, oh, what do I do?
Speaker 6: How do I?
Speaker 3: How do I?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 3: But also because the documents were only signed really recently, I'm like, oh, let it said all.
Speaker 6: No, Britt says, shoot your shot. But my question is how important is his friendship to you? Because it could fundamentally change everything. And if he turns around and says, oh, I don't feel the same, then the friendship isn't to him what it is to you, and it might mean that you guys don't have anything at all.
Speaker 4: If I, oh, my god, yes, I love you too, and you could have found.
Speaker 5: Your soulmate twin flames. When the rest of you get a lot, it's worth fighting for. It's a risk, is all I'm saying. Nothing having comes easily.
Speaker 2: Okay, I think you pulling these quotes from I.
Speaker 5: Do you know what?
Speaker 6: You just need to have a cheeky glass of wine one evening just see.
Speaker 5: How he responds.
Speaker 6: I don't think aggressively shooting your shot is the way to go about it, but I think some subtle flirting when you feel like you're ready and just see if he responds positively.
Speaker 2: But just do it in a bra That's my advice. Just do it in Brier Nundy's. That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Wet the lips and up to oh.
Speaker 2: Wow, wow, you're doing so well. Subtle about your wet lips, bread Keepers updated Steph please okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I will think.
Speaker 2: Right, no worries. You can hit up the pick up on our Instagram, slide into the DMS if you need some help, and we will wet.
Speaker 4: Coming up after the break, we have Daniel lately on, former AFL great and transgender woman who has just released her documentary on Stand and absolutely incredible.
Speaker 2: All right, Daniel's on with us next here at the pickup Thursday. Here the pickup with Britt, Laura and Mitch head into Chemist Warehouse today. You'll get great savings every day.
Speaker 4: I want to talk to you guys today about the original Stand documentary that has just come out called Revealed Daniel Laidley Two Tribes.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 4: It's a documentary that looks at Daniel Laidley's two worlds colliding. And when I say two worlds, that's in reference to the two tribes in the title, this is Danielle's life as an ex AFL footage player and a coach, and then it's her other world as a transgender woman, and it explores what that looks like for her and how those decisions were taken away from her drug addiction. It's truly inspiring and incredible and this is a piece of the documentary.
Speaker 1: The AFL is always is to go football and always think you want to hear about me. Today is the first time that I've represented both my tribes. Former North Melbourne football coach Dean Ladley has been charged possession.
Speaker 6: Photographs taken at this until the police station have gone viral.
Speaker 1: I've got a phone call that's been arrested.
Speaker 2: I hated who I was.
Speaker 7: All the decisions that you've made have not been good ones. I don't think anyone really knew what Danny went through. We actually have Danielle with us today.
Speaker 5: Hi Danielle, Hi, Danielle.
Speaker 1: Hi. By gang, how are you?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 6: We're so well Danielle even just listening to that the shorts for the Stan documentary, like how do you feel when you hear that back?
Speaker 1: I'm okay now. When we were going through the filming the first edit, Nora and I watched it together and within ninety seconds were very, very emotional, and we basically cried through the whole the whole film. But now we've watched it, I don't know, maybe ten times because we had to watch it through all the different edits. Now we can sort of watch it quite objectively. We're really proud of the final package. We've been now to tell our story in our own words, because the narrative you know, when it very first became public was not good. Yeah, there was a lot of false things said, there was a lot of innuendo, and that was, you know, probably the main reason why we wanted to make the film so we could tell our story in our words.
Speaker 2: Daniel, I think for a bit of context as well, you played one hundred and fifty one games for men's AFL West Coast Eagles and North Melbourne football clubs, and I think the story is so important that now as a transgender woman, that coming out of that reveal was completely taken from your hands. You had no power in that, and if you don't mind speaking to how that happened, I think it's in the documentary. It is really powerful. But if you can speak to what happened in that situation. I think that is so important to hear.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was going through a pretty bad time at in my life. You know, I'd never couched drugs or anything like that, and was introduced from a relationship that I was in and it got really bad. I still hadn't been diagnosed with gender dysphoria, and eventually it just came out one day when I was seeing my counselor at the time. You know, I got diagnosed with a gender psyche and endocrinologists and all that sort of stuff, and we were starting to plan a strategy of Okay, how do we get the family together, how do we tell friends? So we put a strategy in that we were going to approach the AFL, But unfortunately that was taken away when I was outed by the Victoria police. You know, I got arrested. And it was funnily enough, it was me who rang the police and said, I'm breaking the intervention order because I was just at such a low point. I didn't know what to do. My drug use was spiraling. I just had been diagnosed with gina dysphoria. Went stood out in front of my property and called them and they came and arrested me, which was a bad decision on top of a few others that I'd made. You would think the Victoria police would show some care and empathy and go through the legalities of what had happened. But to have police members take photos of me, take my phone, take photos off my phone. It was very public, so all those plans that we were starting to put in place. The AFL family friends found out about it when you did, when they saw it in the paper.
Speaker 2: Well, we are talking to former af FELT great Danielle Ladley, who you may have seen this has recently start in her own stand original documentary series all about her life, her career, and her incredible story of going from AFL football grade to her life now as a transgender woman.
Speaker 6: Was there any consequence for the police who were at fault here? How did that process end up?
Speaker 1: There was about forty odd who got charged internally with something called disgusting behavior and then is.
Speaker 7: That the actual term?
Speaker 5: Danielle?
Speaker 4: Yeah, wow, I didn't even know that that was something you could be charged with. When was it that you knew you felt different?
Speaker 1: The very first time it happened to me, I was probably six years of age, and there were wow, literally hundreds of things going through my childhood and then early teens and having depression and anxiety. I didn't know why I was feeling this way, peeling back delays the last six or seven years. I can now label that as little Danielle times when it was speaking. She wanted attention, she wanted love, she wanted affection, she wanted all that sort of stuff. And the one thing that I've learned is you can't outrun gender dysphoria.
Speaker 4: Yah.
Speaker 1: As I got a little bit older and the Internet comes along and I was able to meet people and talk to people, it started to become clearer.
Speaker 4: It must have been nice to have that revelation and be like, wow, I'm not actually alone, like there are other people that are going through what I'm going through totally.
Speaker 2: Well that I mean, that is watching this docco that is couldn't be more clearer, the two worlds colliding. Stay there, Danielle. We want to delve more into your second part of your life, your time as a transgender woman and being part of the lgbt QA plus community. More with Danielle after this on the pickup, We're back right around Australia Thursday afternoon. It is the pickup. We've brit Laura and Mitch head into chemist warehouse today. Great savings every day joining us. Now we're back with Danielle Lady. It's on Stand the new Stand original docer revealed Danielle Ladley two Tribes. We've just been talking to Danielle. This is an incredible story, right Laura, it really is.
Speaker 6: And daniel how did the AFL and also your own family respond to finding out that you were not being able to live authentically.
Speaker 1: It's caused a lot of grief with the in our family of how it came out, and we're still on some fronts working through that. The AFL having lived in fear, the shame and embarrassment of what perhaps people would think of me. From the CEO of the AFL, Gilma Blockwin to you know, people I coach, people I played with, the wider football community have been so supportive and caring and everything I've literally had in the last bit now thousands of messages thank you for telling your story. The next most important thing was showing what we went through for families. I'm hoping that that it's a real education piece for a lot of people from all walks of.
Speaker 2: Life, Danielle. As someone who identifies as gay myself, I have the exact same feelings about my sexuality. I had them at a similar age, and it pales in comparison to yours. And sexuality and gender are different. But we have so many parents listening at the pickup right now, I just I want to ask you and give you the opportunity to maybe offer some advice on how potentially parents can deal with their children's gender dysphoria potentially and their kids, and maybe even explaining what gender dysphoria is.
Speaker 1: No, gender dysphoria is how you feel on the inside is not congruent with what is portrayed on the outside. That's where the dysphoria comes. That's where the wrestle comes in. To any parent or to any teenager, the best thing to do is to be able to talk about your feelings and then as a family, whichever member it is, seek some professional help. There's some great facilities and resources out there now. As a transgender person, I've been dealing with this my whole life. Others around me, some have known for seven or eight years when I very first started to live my life as myself just not in front of my kids or at my place of work. It's a big change and it's only new for them, So as transgender people too, we need to be patient with all those around us.
Speaker 2: This is the pick up. We're talking to former AFL Great Daniel Lay, who was recently starting a stand original documentary all about her time as at AFL Great and now living as a transgender woman.
Speaker 4: I would just love to know one thing I know just a couple of days ago, And excuse my ignorance, I'm not an AFL person, but I saw an article about one of the AFL players.
Speaker 7: There was a photo that was taken last week. He had just lost the match.
Speaker 4: He had his hands over his face and he had painted fingernails, And there were so many homophobic comments that I saw on that thread about that. It wasn't about the game, wasn't about how amazing he played. It was about the fact that he had his fingernails raised. It and there was a part of me that thought, Wow, how are we still having these conversations. Do you see the tide turning in society at the moment or are you hoping that this documentary is going to really help that.
Speaker 1: I hope the documentary helps that. I think the gay and lesbian movement is so far in front being educated for many years. Still though there's a hell of a lot of work to do.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 1: Now, all of a sudden, we have a young footballer that wants to pain his nails. Yeah, so what exactly he's on that ground because he has a talent at an elite sport. That messaging just in that picture says within the four walls of AFL football clubs, people can be themselves outside that. It's a societal issue that you know, the stuff that you're just talking about, stuff that I go through still every day. That's where we've got a lot of work.
Speaker 6: To Dannielustan documentary. I think it's so beautiful that you were able to reclaim your story, and I think that this is really going to reframe for people, especially for anybody who may have just skimmed over headlines in the news or seen something and made up a judgment. Yeah, and that's what we do, right, We see a headline, we make a snap judgment. And this is an opportunity for you to be able to really share your story in your way. And one of the things I think is so beautiful about your story is your relationship with Donna. How you've been in each other's lives throughout your whole life. It's incredible. And was there ever a time in your life where you were maybe surprised because you know, society tells you that you're not lovable when you're going through this, that somebody is going to stay there and love you regardless of who you are or how you present, because of the person that you are. Just think it, like, it's just such a beautiful part of your story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you know, I suppose the choice was to live and be my authentic self. I thought the ramifications of that decision rather than leaving this world in a sad, sorry state, I'll probably be by myself for the rest of my life. And so Donald and I had reconnected, but I still hadn't told her. Donald will openly say, why can't you just love another person? I'm forever ever grateful for that and the reality with our relationship, I can be myself. It's beautiful best version of myself, and so can Donna. Yeah, we have a lot of fun. We're basically inseparable. We do everything together. You know. We live between Melbourne and Perth, and we fly sort of every second week, every third week. And I'm grateful.
Speaker 5: Everyone. We're all on our team. This documentary is incredible.
Speaker 4: If you guys listening to this haven't seen it, please go and watch the stand documentary revealed Daniel Lately, Two Tribes.
Speaker 7: It's incredible. Thank you for giving us your time. You're amazing.
Speaker 1: Thank you. I'm very grateful to spend some time. Look forward to talking in the future.
Speaker 5: Thanks so much.
Speaker 2: All right, guys, we're back after this on the pick up.
Speaker 5: It's the pickup.
Speaker 2: Welcome back, Brett, Laura and Mitch here thanks to Chemists Warehouse, go and face the world with cedar Field. Get your dermatologists recommended to feel for a great price at Chemists Warehouse. Great savings every day.
Speaker 5: Now, Mitch, would you consider yourself an adult?
Speaker 2: I don't know where this is going, but it's a retorical question. I'm twenty eight in two days, so I'd say I'm an adult.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And would you consider Britt and I more adulty? Would you think that we are mature sophisticated women.
Speaker 2: Oh, we've had great, great, real high quality work done, but.
Speaker 7: You've had gray hair.
Speaker 5: I thought that's what you're you have a.
Speaker 2: Few now, no, you guys, Yeah, you guys are adults. Yeah, you are all right.
Speaker 6: Well, I mean I know that you think you're an adult, and sometimes I do mention to you how even though we are the best of friends, Yeah, sometimes I feel the age disparity.
Speaker 5: Usually it's when you bring TikTok trends to the show.
Speaker 6: That's when I'm like, oh, hold on, you are absolutely a decade younger than what we have.
Speaker 2: Well, Laura, there's a ten year age gap between you and me. Then Britt there's nine, I think.
Speaker 7: Four years between us.
Speaker 5: It's holding on top.
Speaker 2: How are we friends? It doesn't make sense, but on pay friends it's situational.
Speaker 6: Well, look, Mitch, for a long time, we've made the joke that maybe you're still a kid at heart. There's been a bit of research that's come out, and it turns out that maybe you're not a kid at heart.
Speaker 5: Maybe you're also a kid in your brain.
Speaker 2: What do you mean?
Speaker 6: So it turns out that people only turn into fully fledged adults when they hit their thirties, and so if you're listening to this in the car and you were in your twenties, you were still going through your adult maturing.
Speaker 5: You are not yet a fully fledged adult.
Speaker 4: Wow, it's pretty crazy because when you think about it, who said, been at an adult is eighteen? Like that's just society was like, let's just whip whip a numb around put on eighteen. But your brain is physically still developing. We've always thought that. I know, in the dating world in my twenties, every time I dated a guy, I was just like, he's just such a child. And it's because he was. Scientifically, but it makes a lot of sense with you, like Laura and.
Speaker 2: I Yeah, scientific legally not, but scientifically yes's with.
Speaker 6: You specifically, it makes a lot of sense. Apparently there's been these Miris studies that have been done now and they studied a whole group of people, two hundred ninety seven volunteers, and they've actually tracked the brain ways to show that people's brains in their twenties are still developing. They have not reached adulthood yet. So if you were making terrible decisions in your twenties, questionable ones.
Speaker 2: Hold on, hold on, is this just you? Guys? Is an intervention to say that we know why you're insane. No, because you're a kid.
Speaker 5: We don't think you're insane, Mitch. We just think you're a child. We've been teasing you about the fat that you.
Speaker 6: Went home and you're living with your parents, but more so the fact of who does your washing at the moment.
Speaker 2: Oh, this is an absolute setup.
Speaker 7: Mitch just answered the question.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's an important one if.
Speaker 2: You're I am an adult, I'm a fully grown a dot. I pay my taxes, I drive a car.
Speaker 5: Who does your registration for you?
Speaker 4: Though?
Speaker 5: On that car?
Speaker 2: Well? Dad, Dad's good with cars, so dad helps.
Speaker 5: You, and who does who actually does your taxes?
Speaker 2: I have a great tax account, and then my dad put me onto Actually, now that you bring in.
Speaker 5: Who cooks for you?
Speaker 2: Well, my mom meal press freezes me.
Speaker 7: Who does the grocery shopping for you?
Speaker 2: My mom does. But I leave at home with my mom and dad.
Speaker 7: So I think that's case.
Speaker 5: Dismissed with I feel like we're sadly okay, yeah, okay, But at what point?
Speaker 6: At what point do you have to then make the gigantic adult leap into being a fully fledged adult. Is it when you turn thirty or is there going to come a time where you say, no, Mom, no daddy, I'm not the big boy.
Speaker 5: And I can do it all on my happen Mitch's house at my house. Do you know what he did?
Speaker 7: This is such a childlike thing in an adult's house. He couldn't find the bin in the house.
Speaker 2: So do you know what I mean?
Speaker 5: Do you know what mitched in?
Speaker 7: Instead of either going to look for a bin or messaging me saying where's the bin, he.
Speaker 4: Just collected all the rubbish over the days and put them in a bag in the lounge room. And he lived in a trash pit in my lounge room, everything stinking, everything leaking out.
Speaker 5: Because he was like, and I.
Speaker 7: Said, why why did you talk me through this? Why did you do this? I just couldn't find a bin. And I was like, I can't even have I'm too adult to.
Speaker 2: Have this conversation. You didn't have fruit flies before, a.
Speaker 5: Maggots everywhere.
Speaker 2: The point of this, if you want to push hard that I'm a child, that's fine. That just means you're mature aged women. We are sorry.
Speaker 5: I mind being a mature age woman. I've got two kids. I bloody hopes.
Speaker 2: So that's really childish. Point proven, point proven, that was really spiked. Let's go guys, I've got a craze to be at and I got a kidding.
Speaker 5: You gotta go to your graduation.
Speaker 2: If you missed any of the show we had Daniel Lately on with us earlier Absolute Superstars year. She's got the new stand series out, Daniel Lady Two Tribes. You can podcast it on the iHeartRadio app. All right, we'll see tomorrow. We're gonna go.
Speaker 5: See you guys. That's it from moment.
Speaker 7: We're going to hand you over to the boys the missed, the legends, Will and Woody, Bye guys.
Speaker 1: See you guys.