Speaker 1: Got anything.
Speaker 2: Good.
Speaker 3: Hey, this is the Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 2: Good morning Patty, Morning boys, Good morning Jack.
Speaker 4: Good to see you guys.
Speaker 2: Did everyone get their democracy sausage?
Speaker 4: I did?
Speaker 5: I did?
Speaker 6: We missed out as well.
Speaker 2: There were no snags notes?
Speaker 4: Oh no, And this is your first time voting in Australia.
Speaker 1: I tell you what right? Coming in cold quite the system you have here?
Speaker 4: What's wrong with the system.
Speaker 6: There's a lot wrong.
Speaker 2: That I had to watch videos. I had to speak to my.
Speaker 1: Kids eighteen and twenty one to tell us how do you vote in Australia?
Speaker 2: That there's two slips?
Speaker 1: What do you mean there's two slips of the house of this house? Were we in Game of Thrones?
Speaker 4: That big white slip that you have.
Speaker 2: Some eight thing with all these parties?
Speaker 1: Then why it's like and then if you want to go above the line and blow how do.
Speaker 2: You all know this?
Speaker 6: You didn't do below the line? Did you?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: I don't know what I did get this?
Speaker 1: So so my wife and I that were a wide eyed, we were like staggering there going out. We have that first time voting then like yeah, whatever, yeah, and then they let us sit at a table in the middle of this sort of sports hall. Were in at the school, opposite each other swapping notes while everyone else just wandered around looking.
Speaker 2: Over our shoulders. You could do that and we were like, what what number you putting down?
Speaker 1: That? Well? We did not that there were a couple of old people that were looking over my shoulder and you can't hide it because it's eight foot bit of paper there all those.
Speaker 4: Parties, you're like a slow kid getting extra time in there.
Speaker 2: God, it was so intimidating.
Speaker 1: Then there's the blessed them that I take it there volunteers that work so hard for Do they live there in those facilities? No one does that job is under the age of seventy seven.
Speaker 4: I thought, volunteers.
Speaker 2: Now, why is it.
Speaker 1: Only the domain of the old people that do? Are we thinking they're trust worthy? They're the gatekeepers of democracy.
Speaker 4: Maybe you had to work in the first election or something to be eligible.
Speaker 2: And it is that.
Speaker 1: Where did they get cardboard voting where there's no secrecy you could just like chat or to spy on the person next to you.
Speaker 2: We have to go into a thing where you close a current behind you.
Speaker 1: In the UK really, oh yes, dignity is preserved it's like going into a changing room, but are you.
Speaker 4: Really trying to cheat off the person next to you?
Speaker 1: Well, their vote is the kind of because I was like at one point I sat was looking at my phone to my daughter said how are we going to vote as a family? Then then he went, you aren't really supposed to be using your phone. I went, then I could be here another hour, I could be I could be.
Speaker 2: Here till midnight. This is so complicated.
Speaker 6: It's so bad.
Speaker 7: You know, even we started voting at eighteen, we still do it the same way and we use a grayllad pencil for goodness.
Speaker 6: Sake, ye pencil as well. Yes, it's crazy.
Speaker 7: Why don't we have electronic voting already? Can't we just get in with the modern days? And like what does America do?
Speaker 6: I think they have they fix it?
Speaker 4: Well, they had the electronic machines and that.
Speaker 5: Was what.
Speaker 4: Yeh dodgy.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, it's still I have to say this. My wife and I it was a buzz of huge ex something every weekend getting to have our first vote here. And I tell you what a straining good at right that it's compulsory. It's not in the UK and you get increasing lower and lower at turnout kids aren't engaged at all, so they've just given up their political words. Both my daughters knew what they knew, the names of all the candidates, what their policies were. They're so engaged because it's their world that they're growing into.
Speaker 4: That there's very few things while there is nothing else where, every single person in the country is participating on the same thing at the same time.
Speaker 1: What about all the party hecklers you have outside in there like that?
Speaker 6: It's pretty much children's TV.
Speaker 2: It's not children's TV show.
Speaker 1: Those colored tops are like the Wiggles, and if you walk down there and they letter you, just they jump out.
Speaker 4: That's why it's such a shame you didn't get the sausage, because I feel like the sausage is the reward running the gaunt let them do to actually.
Speaker 1: Find they let me just take my dock ins.
Speaker 4: Everybody gets a vote.
Speaker 3: The Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 1: My other big question from the election of the weekend is how did trumpet patriots get all of our phone numbers?
Speaker 2: No, seriously, how did they get every one of our phone numbers?
Speaker 6: I feel like the only person who wasn't getting this nonundated.
Speaker 7: Oh my god, I don't know if you could, Christian. I couldn't even like delete them or block them.
Speaker 1: You know, normally can go to delete and then also gives you another option board delete reports it.
Speaker 2: You can't, Clive won't not you?
Speaker 4: So are you getting him right up until Saturday morning?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 6: Like three four five a day.
Speaker 2: How did they get all of our phone numbers?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 7: But you know it wasn't illegal because they weren't subject to the.
Speaker 6: Blackout, the twenty four hour blackout.
Speaker 7: There's like a loophole that they can actually just keep sending.
Speaker 1: Them because it wasn't getting any messages from any other parties.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, correct, I think on Sunday night, though he apologized for so many texts.
Speaker 2: It's too late.
Speaker 1: Millions look huge. So perhaps you tell me this, then we go and vote. Then they get the slips, and then who counts them? Do they count them out that voting area? Other people at the back actually count them as they go along.
Speaker 2: I still do.
Speaker 4: It's the same people in the vests that were ticking us off the book.
Speaker 7: No, they take it to like a warehouse, so there'll be allotted sort of locations around the country, sort of counting centers and it's just like rows and rows of tables and just volunteers just counting.
Speaker 2: How do they do it in batches of what?
Speaker 6: I actually don't know.
Speaker 1: You're interested because obviously huge millions of people they show on AB so important.
Speaker 4: They showed some coverage of the back rooms where they're counting, and at one point they said, we've got cameras in ninety different counting booths. That is overkilled.
Speaker 1: TV these days, so it's just shrinking. It's got ninety cameras. What are you using them for when it's not every three? Are they borrowing it from people?
Speaker 7: We've got, like, you know, cardboard booths, but we've got ninety high tech cameramras.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, And where where do those booths go? Obviously when you go back to my care or wherever they came from. Where do they get put away from our series? I'm fascinated by.
Speaker 1: All the people doing the counter though, so are those around the country, because obviously it is so important. They're the frontline of it. Are they government officials? Are they all civil servants? Could you or a volunteer?
Speaker 7: You can volunteer because my brother and sister in law did it. Maybe a couple of federal elections ago for the Australian Electoral Commission. You can not all volunteers. You can, like they take in a certain intake before each election.
Speaker 4: Is it'd be thousands and.
Speaker 1: It's really good money. Are they're not allowed to go home until every vote is counted.
Speaker 2: This and actually the other games on. Now I'm going to go. It's a closet.
Speaker 1: It doesn't matter huge, My god, it's a closet. I love democracy, but I really care about the foot tea.
Speaker 7: Is that like a jury system where if you're serving on a jury panel, you can't go home until there's.
Speaker 4: Surely they're allowed to go home?
Speaker 2: Because you know what that could people do it like nodding off sixty?
Speaker 1: Oh god, I have to start again, go and bring all those thousands one two.
Speaker 4: Because the close seats they keep counting for up to a week.
Speaker 1: There's still probably somewhere now counting. Now it's the same group of people and they're not allowed to go home.
Speaker 2: They just they just forced feed them.
Speaker 3: Red Bull Christian Connell Show podcast.
Speaker 1: To Patsy for someone like you a journalist Saturday Night. That must be so exciting.
Speaker 7: Well yeah it was, but I mean it was so obvious very early on there.
Speaker 1: And were you expecting them because obviously all the polls and this happens all around the world these days, so people say one thing to the Polsters and then suddenly the opposite.
Speaker 7: Opposite happens. Well, all roads were pointing to a Labor win, So no, it wasn't surprising, but the how much they won was like it was phenomenous.
Speaker 2: It was brutal.
Speaker 1: Can you tell me this, pertsy, Do you know of an oppositional leader actually losing their seat in a general election?
Speaker 2: That must be so rare.
Speaker 7: I think it is the worst result for the Coalition in nearly its one hundred year history, so not since I believe World War Two I might stand corrected.
Speaker 6: Have they had such a poor result? So he lost his seat if.
Speaker 7: Dixon Peter Dutton has held that for nearly a quarter of a century, so they'll be rallying the troops for a new leader this week.
Speaker 6: But it was just it was a whitewash so quick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it slide win because often you're watching it for hours and it's so tight and they're still counting.
Speaker 4: Trip into the next day, into the next week. Half time at the foot it was obvious.
Speaker 1: And which channel do you watch, Patsy? You a B C or can't stomach that?
Speaker 6: Watch channel nine?
Speaker 4: Do you really do it?
Speaker 2: Everybody? I thought two work on AB secrets.
Speaker 1: I can all try to DNA being exposed to that kind of communist propaganda.
Speaker 6: I thought everybody watched not everyone.
Speaker 1: Watches the A. Now it were speculating about how that she count all the votes and all these people around the country that are doing this important work. Patsy positive the theory. There's secret warehouses. I mean there must be a lot of these secret warehouses. Do you go to a website secret warehouse dot com? Do get in trouble? Now Cheryl has worked in one of these secret warehouses.
Speaker 2: Good morning, Cheryl.
Speaker 5: Hi, how are you?
Speaker 2: I'm good. So we've got so.
Speaker 1: Many questions, and thank you very much for calling in. So you've done, you've you've you've been counting votes over the weekend or on the past.
Speaker 5: Yes, I have. I've done about seven elections now, so done the state and the federal elections. Plus I did the referendum as well.
Speaker 1: Wow, So can you explain to everyone listening on us right now how does it work? Then we can'st the vote and then what happens next.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so what happens is everyone comes in to do their voting, so they're either going to go vote and get their names mapped off on the list and they're give them their papers. My duty was actually the declaration officer, so I'm the one that actually you come to me when you're voting outside of your electorate, So if you're not voting within your area or you're coming from a different suburb and you're not on the book there, so you come to me.
Speaker 1: And then one was once our vote is sort of done, who counts them? They count there or Patsy's story about these secret warehouses, We count them.
Speaker 2: Yea.
Speaker 5: So each each voting center that you go to or do their own count and then it goes off to a warehouse and then it gets counted again.
Speaker 1: Oh so there's two people. There's two people are counting each vote.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, right, I guess that's good for consistency, so you don't have people cheating.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, So all the people, well, we had about a or nine people at our center working, so every person that's there, you're there from the start of the day to the very end of the day until the end of the count and every single person is helping.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, that is a long day because most of them open at what eight am on a Saturday.
Speaker 5: We start at seven because we've got to be there before theut the doors open to get set up, so we're there from seven o'clock and we finished at ten o'clock class on a Saturday night, but we were rostered on to work to eleven.
Speaker 1: And what is it is it a mixture of volunteers and people who are actually paid.
Speaker 5: You're actually paid, So you actually go on to either the Australian maatual website or the Victorian one, depending on whether you're doing the state or federal, and you actually choose to work and then you can actually choose a role as well, so if you've already been in the past, you can do one of the higher duties. Otherwise you can just be one of the basic people.
Speaker 2: And tell me this. Do you enjoy it? It must be so exciting.
Speaker 5: Oh it's very different because I actually work at childcare normally, so it's a totally different role to write childcare duties. But yeah, I totally enjoy it. So I started off the very first time of just doing the count seek, but since then it worked the whole day.
Speaker 1: Brent, Well, thank you very much for you and your colleagues and teammates all do as well.
Speaker 2: Ll thanks you giving us a call. Have a good day.
Speaker 5: Okay, thanks too. Okay.
Speaker 3: The Christian O'Connell Show podcast.
Speaker 1: Fat So all of your daughters. You're getting ready for a school camp.
Speaker 6: Yep, you're a camp.
Speaker 7: They're off on Wednesday, going hiking for three days, which will be interesting.
Speaker 2: Now, why this, timmy, you?
Speaker 1: I know, actually it's it's very mild at the moment, but it normally this is winter time.
Speaker 6: I know they do this every time. I said that to the love God, I said, why can't they go in the summer. It would be so Jesus easier packing them off, But no, they have to go when it's gone.
Speaker 4: Well, what the weather like this week is? Today is the summer's dayad over the weekend.
Speaker 7: It's closing in though. We're going to get a cold front on all days of Wednesday when she leaves and rains.
Speaker 6: Not typical.
Speaker 7: So we're busy packing up and of course they've got to it's like a total self sufficiency camp. They've got to cook for themselves the whole and so you've got.
Speaker 2: To that's quite a lot.
Speaker 4: That's stid, real lot.
Speaker 7: So it's our whole kitchen table is covered with canned food, which kind of feels like rubbing a cat's fur up the wrong way, because I don't like giving her canned food. But there's no like that's what you do, isn't it.
Speaker 6: You can't have perish.
Speaker 1: I know it looks so old timing doesn't like hand in your kids canned food, like we're back in the wall, yes, you know, and they look at it like, what's this, that's dinner.
Speaker 6: I don't think she's ever had anything, so she's got to.
Speaker 1: With They're also heavy. She tried that putting it on the back, because my daughters really do this. So like these little turtles, they can bear it up, walk down the corridor.
Speaker 2: They going to do a couple of days like marching. I know.
Speaker 7: So we've said to her, you know, she's pretty good, though, let's like minimize packing. Just take the bear minimum, especially your toilet trees. We're not taking five million.
Speaker 1: I would say that's the essential sort of toilet trees, toothbr some of those cans or something.
Speaker 4: But I forget what I was going to say you tried these dehydrated meals.
Speaker 2: That's what the army is.
Speaker 4: That's going to be way lighter than a candle fruit.
Speaker 2: Were dugging around the coals in her back.
Speaker 6: Where do I get those?
Speaker 4: I don't know, I actually don't know.
Speaker 2: And a conda?
Speaker 6: Do you can you get food and a conda?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because the people coming on these hiking expeditions with all the nutrients and then as you boil them in water, it gets bigger again.
Speaker 6: Ah right, okay, Well she wasn't really impressed.
Speaker 1: With your like eighteens in our backpack. Parents not read the email, or he's just still just leave the school playground and d four on the biggest trick.
Speaker 7: Beansum, maybe back She's glad to be cooking for herself.
Speaker 2: Get some spam yuk.
Speaker 6: The last cat was terrible.
Speaker 7: They served them up Mexican and she said, Mum, it looked like cat vomit.
Speaker 6: And she threw it into a bush because she just couldn't eat it. She just couldn't.
Speaker 2: She excited about it.
Speaker 7: She looking forward, She really is, yeah, because they buddy up, you know, with their estimation and it's all about the social.
Speaker 2: Side of it, and are they confiscating their phones.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, absolutely no phones, absolutely no.
Speaker 1: There's always one or two kids though that smuggled them in. I remember the girls. It was so strict. One boy got found with his phone. They sent him home. Yeah, I not any punishment, but to luxury for you.
Speaker 4: Oh, vegetables.
Speaker 2: And a grilled burger. Oh no, silly meat.
Speaker 3: The Christian o'connall show podcast.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much to Ellie Hayhurst sending links for me to forward onto Patsy of all major supermarkets, the two dried foods. Just save Patsy Storks' spine this week because at the moment, old mate, it's loader down like eighty seven cans. That's some sort of crazy cat lady that lives under a bridge.
Speaker 2: That tin food.
Speaker 6: I will need that.
Speaker 7: Thank you so much. To this unseasoned parent of a child going on care.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Christian, tell Patsy then all these camping oidings. You can buy these, even bad packets of dry pasta from the supermarket.
Speaker 2: You just add water and.
Speaker 6: See yummy, yum yum.
Speaker 2: Just trying to help you out.
Speaker 6: No, that is good, thank you.
Speaker 2: No, no, you're not happy. What happened that we can do? Not take it out?
Speaker 1: You and k Palmer, it would have been filthy. You've got to pack away your trumpet. It hasn't happened, Pats. Anyway, This is exciting. So this week be till Juice and Musical arrives at Melbourne's gorgeous Regent Theater this Wednesday and next Tuesday night. We are taking you to go and see it.
Speaker 2: Listener, come along and join us. Call us now Big to Juiceason be the first to see the show before it open.
Speaker 4: It's so great you won't want to go.
Speaker 1: We accord to this here it opens this one. Anyway, it sounds better than that.
Speaker 4: It seems like the six nights you could see forts open.
Speaker 2: It feels like we're going to open your eyes to it though. Anyway.
Speaker 1: You can buy your tickets now than at ticket Tech, but you can actually win them every single day this week. So we're taking you for drinks and dinner beforehand. We did this with Tina turn On the Musical last year and it was such a lovely thing to do. You get to have a chat with us, have a drink, have some food. When we all go over and watch this amazing musical Beatlejuice to Music all together, we are meeting you at Champagne problems brackets cocktail bar. Dinner would include a selection of retro meatballs, chenna and lake croquettes, lobster sliders, hot honey, helloomy spring rolls, mushroom and garlic, vollevons, chevre, truffles, oh handcuff fries, parmesan and truffle may a lot of truffle going.
Speaker 4: On and everybody gets a cocktail on arrival.
Speaker 1: Also there's going to be a retro photo booth to get your photo taken there as well. This is a great price. This will be an amazing night. Now it's a huge musical by the great Eddie Purfect as well. So lines are up and now if you want to come and join us next Tuesday night go and see Beetlejuice the Musical and have a drink with us as well.
Speaker 2: Lines are up and now the.
Speaker 3: Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 1: Right now, what are you up to next Tuesday night? Why do you come and have dinner and drinks with me and the team and then we take you to go and see the brilliant Beetlejuice the musical arrives at the Regent Theater seventh of May this week, prepare for a night oh screamingly good fun.
Speaker 2: You can book at ticker tech Listener.
Speaker 8: Come along and join us now, Big to juiceson. Be the first to see the show before it open.
Speaker 4: It's so great you won't.
Speaker 2: Want to go.
Speaker 1: All right every single day this week. Then you can win your tickets. Come and join us next Tuesday night, we're off to see Be Reduced the Musical. Andrew, good morning, Good morning, Christian, Hey do I'm good Andrew, Andre fantcy coming along. Absolutely.
Speaker 2: The wife and I have new emptiness is like yourself. So we're finally we're free. So we need a night out to celebrate. So help me out.
Speaker 3: Here, Christian.
Speaker 1: From an empty nestra to another empty neestra. I'll see you talking empty nests at the bar next Tuesday night. We've been one, adding a lass kill to everyone's fun. Andrew, look forward to meeting you and your wife. We'll see you next Tuesday night.
Speaker 2: Beautiful.
Speaker 1: Thanks Christian, love the show.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much. Damian, good morning, good morning.
Speaker 4: How are we Christian and team?
Speaker 2: I'm good? How was your weekend? Damien? Not too bad? Mohawks one So I'm up and about right.
Speaker 1: Okay, yes, Big weekend for your club. Now tell me why do you want to come along next TUESDA tonight.
Speaker 2: My grandma is seventy years old, turned seventy last week and she's a massive fan of the show.
Speaker 4: And she's never been to a theater show, and she'd love to come to a night out with you guys.
Speaker 2: She's never been to a theater show. No, never, ever, So I should love to have a night out on you guys.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Well, definitely bring along. And is she can write with there's a free bar there. She's not going to start going crazy and kicking off to the music or throwing.
Speaker 2: Up as she she might.
Speaker 1: Okay, yes, Damien, you can have a pair of tickets.
Speaker 3: Thank you, team, have a great day.
Speaker 2: Next tuesdnight and let's get die here. Good morning, Die, Good morning Joe.
Speaker 5: Please give me for goods.
Speaker 1: This is impressive. This is impressive on a Monday morning. I love the energy and die. You're you're a fan of the movie. You've actually seen the musical.
Speaker 5: I haven't seen the musical seen the movie, but I've been listening to the soundtrack on repeat and can't wait to see it. Love, love, love the soundtrack.
Speaker 1: It's so witty, brilliant, come along next tuesdaynight. We see there, great, thank you, all right, another chance tomorrow.
Speaker 2: I wanted to get your.
Speaker 3: Tickets, Christian Conor Show podcast.
Speaker 1: Christian, you want to clarify you're saying next Tuesday night?
Speaker 2: Is that tomorrow night?
Speaker 1: Maybe ask Rio to clarify, Keith, good good throwback.
Speaker 2: Next Wednesday's next. Otherwise it be tomorrow night.
Speaker 1: This Tuesday would say that, I say tomorrow night. Yes, yeah, I wouldn't say this Tuesday. It would be strange. Next Tuesday is clear. It's not this Tuesday because I would say this Tuesday. It's next Tuesday. Keith, stop trying to confuse everybody.
Speaker 4: Right now, week again, Next Tuesday makes sense.
Speaker 1: Now, don't let Keith just get in the way of this, everybody. It's a very simple proposition.
Speaker 2: Keith.
Speaker 1: Okay, now you've spotted someone who has a superpower over the weekend.
Speaker 8: Yes, when we went to vote the old kind of crusty old.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, I can't say stuff like that. These are mature elders of the community.
Speaker 2: Yes, other people listening to crusty old people are.
Speaker 4: Doing describing a person. I thought you were saying the system of using the book. Were you actually describing a.
Speaker 2: Person human being as crusty.
Speaker 4: Old, so disrespectful.
Speaker 1: You don't go away crusties to them key persons democracy.
Speaker 8: He's not crusty because he's old. He's just had a crusty energy about.
Speaker 4: There is no way you can use that word in a positive life.
Speaker 2: Unacceptable old and not crusty.
Speaker 6: Anyway, don't look at me is.
Speaker 2: Actually I won't say.
Speaker 1: If you had to pick out a crusty one.
Speaker 2: It's a crustacean pats.
Speaker 6: Anyway, we're getting to the point.
Speaker 8: There was a dignified elderly gentleman community elder. The elder working at the Riff Primary School where I went to vote. And when I you know, they've got that big sort of like yellow pages of the electoral roles, hundreds and hundreds of phone book like a phone. I said my name, I said ridden.
Speaker 1: He turned to it, Oh my, and he could see the crust in his eyes was everywhere, like a human crosshole.
Speaker 4: And there's a lot of lees as well. Straight.
Speaker 2: Yes, that is incredible.
Speaker 4: That's amazing. He didn't even look up. He spent my first radio incredible skill.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's funny because when the love God went to vote. There is another Christopher John Newman in where.
Speaker 2: There's only one not well us and run the other one out of town.
Speaker 1: That's another Christo exactly Are you sure he just isn't reached to twice?
Speaker 6: Well, that's what I said. I said, did you double check the address? They haven't put you twice?
Speaker 4: It feels like something you do. They can vote for trumpets twice.
Speaker 6: We did not.
Speaker 2: Votes.
Speaker 1: John, I tell you next Tuesday is next Tuesday?
Speaker 6: I said, did you check? And he said, yes, I did, and it's a different address. So there you go.
Speaker 4: Likely story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, anyway, what we're trying to talk about was what is your work superpower, Patsy?
Speaker 2: What do you think yours is?
Speaker 6: What is my art? Reliable? All the time here every day we're.
Speaker 2: Not doing a job interview. Isn't a superpower?
Speaker 6: Super power called.
Speaker 2: The Marvel Studios? We got a new superhero.
Speaker 6: It might be that.
Speaker 7: You know, we remember that we did that thing on air where I was good at like a clearvoyant naming people.
Speaker 2: Jack and I.
Speaker 1: Talked about it last week and I said it could be as bad as that time we let Patsy have half an hour show to name pets and it was this is let me recreate it.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's a it's a brown colored dog. Brown? Exactly how are you doing? That? Is that it's a blue parrot? Blue? That's a superpower?
Speaker 6: Can you tell me what my superpower is?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 3: Reliable Christian O'Connell Show one podcast.
Speaker 2: What is Your Work? Superpower?
Speaker 1: Thirteen fifty five twenty two, Do not think about it, pats I believe one of yours. You are very good at knowing team members birthdays.
Speaker 2: It's a great super I come a bit. When's Jack's September?
Speaker 4: It's not it's mate the guys November ten.
Speaker 2: May week November.
Speaker 4: Patsy's so good she even you even remember like Christian's daughters or this body's birthday. That's a that's an elite.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't say that's a superpower.
Speaker 1: It's like I got eighteen kids. How does she take an interest in people she works with? She must be some kind of freaking superpower. I guess, Perhatsy, when is Producer Rio's birthday?
Speaker 2: The old psychic against.
Speaker 6: Just Well, I was close, Okay, I was close.
Speaker 4: Stripped of the superpower stripped from two.
Speaker 1: I believe that my superpower is as a human alarm clock You can ask me many time during the day what the time is, and it's unhearingly accurate.
Speaker 2: My wife does it a lot.
Speaker 1: She goes time and it's never I think it's about eleven issh, it's always already specific, like it's eleven twenty five and it's about four or five minute variation.
Speaker 4: That's a good one, is it?
Speaker 1: Well, twenty seven years of doing this job, the only thing I can do is is randomly tally the time and also song intros.
Speaker 4: In an era where we get the time from anywhere, from our phones, for our watchers, from cars, it's very rare.
Speaker 1: Don't you strip it away from me. You've taken her birth ability.
Speaker 4: But like in the eighteen hundreds and before, you would have been a very popular amount that.
Speaker 2: But that crusty old guy you rea about the weekend? What do you think yours is?
Speaker 4: I can tell a caller is going to be an interesting story or not within the first three seconds.
Speaker 1: Can tell you now that is bs. No, you've had a few. There's been a nice the malcolms and stuff like this where suddenly heavy listen is like who put this one through?
Speaker 2: Jack?
Speaker 1: Posts that didn't come came through you your finger prints all over it.
Speaker 2: All of our superpowers have been revoked. Right now? What's going on? Particikating? What do you think your superpower is?
Speaker 7: Without a doubt, I can get any caller off hands free anytime.
Speaker 6: But that's just surely that's just saying, please, can you take me off?
Speaker 1: Ye?
Speaker 4: Just come off hands free?
Speaker 2: Yes? Could you come off hands yet?
Speaker 4: It sounds super easy, but some people say, oh, I'm running late for.
Speaker 6: Work or oh i've drive.
Speaker 2: How do you deal with that?
Speaker 6: What I say, look, Henry, I need you to pull.
Speaker 1: Over, Henry dullah Jack put Through last week said it was a short fire call of the week.
Speaker 2: So you go, look, Henry, Yes.
Speaker 6: And I say, I need to understand that.
Speaker 7: I can hear the road noise in the background, and it's so loud that it's really hard to hear.
Speaker 6: And when you're listening to.
Speaker 4: A radio show and you hear that really annoying. No wonder it takes so long. You're getting there right now?
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: Sometimes Wait, you have to do that to twenty or thirty people an hour.
Speaker 2: Well it's top the page.
Speaker 6: Roll over here.
Speaker 2: Well that's new for twenty twenty five. Anyway, what are you good?
Speaker 3: Motivation the Christian O'Connell Show podcast.
Speaker 1: Each week on the show, we pick a country, then we ask for your stories across the week anything to do with that country. This week, our country of the week is USA. America America. Anytime you're on this week, you've got a story about America, and you give us a call thirteen fifty five twenty two. If I'm not here when you feel like calling, email me for sure, Christian at Christian O'Connell dot com dot au. But you Si, Rio has got three facts about America. Three billion pieces are sold annually in the USA. Three billion lollipops were invented in the USA. And this is not a killer fact. Mount Rushmore took fourteen years to calm, wouldn't.
Speaker 2: It, Jackie Boy? What have you asked?
Speaker 1: Chat gpt? What great facts has chat GPT got about America?
Speaker 4: Chatt chat GPT has got you this one. Rio, There's a town that elected a dog as mayor multiple times. What the US government has a one point four billion pound cheese stockpile. Tell us more about the dog mayor of the dog mayor rabbit Hash, Kentucky. That's the name of the town. Has a canine mayor since nineteen ninety eight.
Speaker 2: You are kidding, Karen Mare is.
Speaker 4: French bulldog named Wilberbeast.
Speaker 2: What did he run on and how did he get in?
Speaker 4: I don't know, but he got thirteen thousand votes, which was enough to secure him the position.
Speaker 2: Great facts.
Speaker 4: The cheese they keep in Missouri underground in underground caves in Missouri as a dairy subsidy subsidy subsidy program. This is not a good fact. And you can eagerly own a Suddenly.
Speaker 1: The amount rushmore carving is going right, so that's top in their power rankings.
Speaker 4: This one is interesting. You can legally own a flamethrower in forty eight of the Americans.
Speaker 2: Oh that country.
Speaker 1: That country, no one has any business having a flamethrow at home. What business a you're needing or ever acquiring a flamethrow. My wife is a real hoardering Yesterday, I was like, we need to throw some stuff out, right, you know what, Sunday you felt like, it's a day of life. We're going to tie you on, throw some stuff out. I found that we had a brand new mink condition pair of crutches. I went, I don't know how we own these, I said, these have to go. She goes, no, no, we need them just in case.
Speaker 2: What what do you know is going to happen?
Speaker 1: I slept one eye open, Patsy, if you've got a story about you as.
Speaker 7: A Yeah, we went to America and went to Universal Studios on the tour and then at the end, you know, you get back on the bus and we were staying in downtown LA. It's about an hour's drive. It's quite a ways out Universal Studios. Anyway, this driver, this dear lady we had, it was her first day.
Speaker 6: In the on the job, and very clearly was lost. So it should have taken an hour. Three hours later we are still driving round and round.
Speaker 7: Anyway, we had dinner, a dinner booking at this restaurant we really really wanted to go to. It was nighttime, we'd missed the dinner's dinner booking, and we were clearly lost. And there's the you know, welcome to Beverly Hills side. We kept passing it like every twenty minutes and it'd be on one side of the bus.
Speaker 2: He stuck for a day on that round of out, just like.
Speaker 6: A game of speed. It was ridiculous. Anyway. Christis Lennard over and he said, would you mind, you can pull over.
Speaker 7: I think I know how to get back to where we're staying. And she goes, oh no, and he goes, no, seriously, it's okay.
Speaker 4: He wanted to drive the bus.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so he said, I know where the hotel is. Like, this is ridiculous. We're just going to keep.
Speaker 7: Driving around and around and around. Anyway, So she pulled over and he drove our little minibus.
Speaker 4: That's so funny.
Speaker 6: It was so funny, and everyone was so he.
Speaker 2: Said he to make your way around either.
Speaker 7: He's so confusing, You're like the back of our hand.
Speaker 6: It was ridiculous.
Speaker 4: What happened to the step in between, which is just tell her the way. If he knows where to go, just tell her where to go. Listening.
Speaker 6: She wasn't listening. It was a bit of an intervention, and he said, serious, isn't it.
Speaker 7: We're going to be here all night. It's okay, pull over and I'm going to drive us there.
Speaker 2: So that is just a crazy, crazy pace.
Speaker 1: And then we years ago, I took the radio show there and we did three shows there. It's like the early two thousands, and whenever I'm in a new city, I just like to go for a walk around it for a couple of hours, a great way to discover it. Turns out you do not do that in La Suddenly I'm somewhere a long way from where we were staying on Sunset Strip. Next time, though, the police have pulled over and they asked me what I'm up to, and I said, I've just you know, I've just arrived. I'm just going for a walk. When you don't wander around this neighborhood. They put me in the back of the cart. They check me back to my hotel for my own safety. They said it is not safe. You'd just be wandering. And they'd had a complaint where someone said there was a suspicious man wandering around the neighborhood.
Speaker 4: There should be one walking on the floe past.
Speaker 2: Checking out the houses.
Speaker 3: A Christian O'Connell show Gone podcast.
Speaker 1: This week's country of the Week is America. Any Stories about You and America thirteen fifty five twenty two. You're always going to have an amazing story with you in New York.
Speaker 4: It's always going to be a special place for me because I met my wife in New York City.
Speaker 2: Do you know the story passed it it's such as a story.
Speaker 4: It was after filming an episode of Hamer she and Andy's Gap Year. We were in New York for six months, and I.
Speaker 2: Didn't know you were that a whole year you were living that. I don't know.
Speaker 4: This is when I used to have a lot, I way too much money.
Speaker 1: I think when I first met you was when you were in London and you guys were just like living there, and I remember.
Speaker 2: Thinking there mus being so much money in Austrange.
Speaker 4: It was ridiculous. They sent a whole TV crew of us over to New York for six months. Then by the time we were doing Gap Year Asia and South America, They're like, nah, go over for two weeks as much as you can, then you come back over here. But the first one, it was it was a ridiculous experience and came as just a viewer. She was sitting in the audience. Her friend of hers was working on the show and they had played this prank on me on the show where they was meant to be a security guard protecting something and somebody tried to steal it and I wouldn't let them steal it. So at the green room in the after party after the show, I was kind of like a mini hero of the episode. Everyone's pat me on the back. And then I met the anchor for the first time, So who.
Speaker 2: Spoke to her?
Speaker 1: First of all, I love hearing stories about how couples meet, So who spoke to who?
Speaker 2: First of all, you're two strangers.
Speaker 4: Two strangers. So I got introduced by her by a mutual friend, and I can't remember much of We didn't speak much of them, but in a bar later that night we spoke for about a couple of hours. Oh wow, And it's amazing that we managed to stay together because I actually tried to kiss her at the bar and she pulled.
Speaker 2: Her head away. Oh wow.
Speaker 4: Can you imagine coming back from that position?
Speaker 1: Very rare, seriously, said dad to daughters. I frown on that kind of behavior.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: I thought there was chemistry and energy, and there was obviously she just didn't like because.
Speaker 2: I tell you what you thought you were. You thought you misedter TV.
Speaker 1: You do one sketch's suddenly you can have any lady at the bar.
Speaker 2: That's what's happening in a couple of little beers in there.
Speaker 4: I was feeling particularly giddy.
Speaker 2: That did you? And then what happened then did she you go your separate way?
Speaker 4: So yeah, we go our separate ways. But I had her number, so I said, why don't we just as friends hang.
Speaker 1: Out and that old movie here? Put yourself back in the friend zone?
Speaker 2: Did you?
Speaker 4: We went our first date was they were doing those movies outdoor cinema in the park. We went and watched Wayne's World together and played table tennis, and after that it became more of a romantic date again.
Speaker 3: Fantastic Christian o'connells show, go on podcast.
Speaker 1: I'm going to ask you a question now. I'd like to be honest with you. Have you just let one go because there was an eggie smell in this studio? No, there is you and you just told Rio and I that you ate two whole eggs before the show.
Speaker 4: But to whole egg in this studio?
Speaker 1: List egg man, it ain't right. You go to the toilet if you've got egg problems. I swear there's an eggy puff puff in this studio right now. And it is hard to do the show with that kind of thug in here.
Speaker 6: It's just another misshod many.
Speaker 2: Christian o'connalls, Hang on, did you do that? I did not why are you giggling.
Speaker 1: That's to giggle of a man who's not a guilty, who's throwing someone else under the who.
Speaker 6: Now you lot a gross.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll tell you what, pats you stick your head in it.
Speaker 1: There's an a smell here, and all I do know is you add two raw rags before the show.
Speaker 2: That's going to create problems.
Speaker 4: It smells fresh over here because it's drifted my way.
Speaker 2: Sorry, listeners, I will get back to the show right now. It's just miss.
Speaker 3: Christian O'Connell's miss heard lyrics.
Speaker 1: The problem is we're not allowed to open any windows here because of soundproofing.
Speaker 2: I'm trapped now. It's noxious aroma miasma.
Speaker 1: That's what we've not going on here anyway, all right, mishard lyrics. Every Monday we played about your mishard lyrics. If we agree with what you think you're miss hearing.
Speaker 2: You will hear this.
Speaker 1: When we don't. And for the brilliant Hall of Fame last week to Hall of Famous, Anthony Dad of Charlie and Frederick had this one by Dean Lewis, the song with You I was holding on for a far too long if only Jack I was that's a far too Sebastian.
Speaker 6: You know we got there, Jack, like the last.
Speaker 1: Hour Exactly's probably got some special pipe you can put up yourself.
Speaker 4: Smelted delta. That's the oldest truth in the world.
Speaker 1: The oldest truths in the ancient sea scrolls. That's what it says you, all right, and this one is a hall of famous well by Sebastian lead on, O King Eternal lead on, O Kinky Turtle.
Speaker 2: All right, let's see what we got this week.
Speaker 1: David's got this beer Never Broke My Heart, Luke Holmes and Long Neck Ice Bar never broke My heart. That is your common your God country or Western song I reckon ninety The songs are about beer in comparing it to a faithless lover or something. Or is Luke singing long Neck Costco bit it never broke his heart? Heck yeah, well we know that is the original line.
Speaker 2: He's singing about pining about Costco. Well, I'm David.
Speaker 1: Aaron Evans has got this by Rod Stewart, the Motown song original line, bring over some of your old Motown records, or is it bring over some of your old motown rabbits?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that's there. Well done.
Speaker 1: Darryl has O MD orchestral maneuvers in the dark, Live and Die. I never wanted another or is it I never wanted an oven? My god, that is a great spot. I never wanted an oven. Christian me and my Greek relatives thinking that Kylie Minogue might have some Greek roots. I should be so lucky Kylie Minogue. Or is it I should be so of lucky, lucky lucky.
Speaker 2: That is so good.
Speaker 1: One of the best of the year, Leo, I should be so lucky, lucky, lucky, Yes, Leo, Hall of Fame. And last one this we aidan no doubt, just a girl. Your rule of thumb makes me worrisome. I didn't know that is the line in the song, your rule of thumb? Or is it you pull your bum makes me worrisome?
Speaker 3: It's kind of no, all right?
Speaker 1: As always, whenever you miss hear your lyrics, email me Christian at Christian O'Connell dot com dot au.
Speaker 3: Christian Connell Show Podcast.
Speaker 2: So I didn't know, Patsy.
Speaker 1: They're still counting some votes in certain areas, like my area.
Speaker 2: They're still counting votes.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it counting continues today. There's still several seats up in the air, including for Adam Bant the Greens later in the city.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, Greens. The Greens result was surprising.
Speaker 7: Actually they didn't fear as well as I thought they would. It was quite surprising that his seat is at risk.
Speaker 4: So does the counting take so long, because maybe they have to have like three or four goes accounting it if they're so close, like the Goldstein one is ninety.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's ninety five votes in at the moment, there are only eighty percent of the votes have been counted. Yeah, soup, and then did they be my age just sort of go I want to go on a bit earlier?
Speaker 6: God working overtime?
Speaker 1: Ah, So what is there so many votes to count or they're doing recounts.
Speaker 7: But it's also the postal votes are coming in still as well, so you know, it's it's not just like a two or three day event because remember, so many people too had voted before the actual election, like a phenomenal amount of people.
Speaker 6: This election had already Saturday.
Speaker 4: Why did they count those last? Couldn't they count them during the weekend?
Speaker 2: They already got those.
Speaker 7: Well, it's the postal votes though, Jack, that is still coming in from across the country.
Speaker 2: Deadline.
Speaker 1: There must be a deadline in which to vote. Well, no, when they have just stop counting. It can't be like November and they're like the still going, We're still getting through them.
Speaker 2: This postal US post could be quite slow.
Speaker 4: Go back to the post office, take your id.
Speaker 2: Got those crusty old timers with naked eyes. It's like a spec sam, isn't it.
Speaker 1: And this was our first time voting here over the weekend and it was I have to be honest, it was really exciting. It's like a big thing. The whole family could vote, so they have her daughters as well, my wife. But I'm telling it, it is intimidatingly complicated. I didn't realize you had two slips, the green one and then that comical sort of six foot loo roll.
Speaker 2: Where there's like, what's about twenty two people for them?
Speaker 1: I've never heard of. Everyone has a same We could have our own party.
Speaker 4: My wife became a citizen only a couple of years ago as well, so this is her first time in a federal election. And she asked me what do I do with the big one one? I said, I don't know. You don't take that of serious.
Speaker 1: Because then they go and still forget you can go above the line or blow And I'm like, never heard that phrase?
Speaker 6: Does anyone go below? And like none? From one rite through to nearly.
Speaker 4: Thirty there's more than that. There's like fifty.
Speaker 6: Insane or one.
Speaker 1: So many parties, isn't there on that strange massive timeline. So I think normally you get for the timeline of civilization. It starts with a bronze age. There's so much going on.
Speaker 3: Christian O'Connell Show Gone Podcast.
Speaker 1: I've just realized I've written in a really unset away Mother's Day in sharpie on my hands my wife, just to see.
Speaker 4: That there's Mother's Day. Wow, apparently at least the secret well day, do you still have to buy a Mother's Day present on behalf of the girls for Sarah?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, when they got a g.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, I know you're quite right in theory, Jack, But as you'll find out what Gordon over the next couple years. There's theory and there's the cold hard facts of parents and kids who are eighteen and twenty one. They have they still have to be nudged and crowd into most things in their life. They won't admit that, but they do to down the time waste. We're looking for your Australian bands.
Speaker 2: Make a band.
Speaker 1: Australian Oupha grabs five hundred dollars best restaurant voucher correct Price today.
Speaker 2: Oh thanks to Master Chef.
Speaker 1: Can you believe it's fifteen years since Callum lost to Master Chef Finale? Thanks that snow egg dessert? Where's that time gone? Where He's about to give it another crack? Seven thirty tonight on Channel ten. All right, Australian Man's what about new Kidman's on the block. That's New Kidman's gold plus, Susi Kontas, Cold Tinney Play Cold Silver. Australian Billy Idol's coming here on tour and he's changed his name to go down.
Speaker 2: Well, that's right, bit of.
Speaker 4: All night gold.
Speaker 2: You know what Australians love to say, only.
Speaker 1: Ossy Ossy Ossy Osborne And we've been talking about them last week.
Speaker 2: Are they going to get back together? The Spice Glass?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a gold too.
Speaker 2: Okay, Jackie boy, what have you got maker band?
Speaker 1: Australian The wallabegs Oh, that's good goal.
Speaker 4: The alban Easy beats yea Counting Russell Crows.
Speaker 1: Gold plus Counting Russell Crows, Genius, Sir very good and Chumber one bat also gold as well. What have you got then, Australian bands text me oh fall seven five three, one oh four three, good luck.
Speaker 3: The Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 1: In time Wasted Today we'll ask you to make a band Australian for the best in show five hundred dollars dinner voucher, a best restaurant voucher which is about a couple of hundred great restaurants all over town for today's make a band Australian. All right, let's go through these jack you read to Mark, Yes, okay, make a van Australian. Five seconds of Sausages silver, I'm Richard, thongs and I gold word, I'm Frasier, Ute b forty silver silver, Cypress Hills hoist gold, well Down Anthony, that's very good, The Vega Mighty Boss Tones gold, Jamie ug Kid Joe gold simple and effects of word un Mary for ug Kid Joe, Shrimp Biscuits silver, The Hoodoo Kangaroos bronze, Magoon five said of Maroon five, Magoon five, mcgbg's Broton that's good, clever, match Box four and twenty Silver. Sulby right said, Fred Gold plus, Well done, Nathan, that's very good, Bluey Lewis and The News Gold from an eleven year old Lewis and nine year old Sadie. Well done, Shoby Wrights as Brothers Gold, Pocham Factory Silver Haul and Uncle Toby's oats.
Speaker 2: That is so clever. Who's that Daniel Johnson?
Speaker 1: That's very good, No sorry, Chris Hall and Uncle Toby's Oats, Shoey Lewis and The News Gold and it's also very good that one was Daniel Johnson. Well on, DJ and Frankston Natra Frankston.
Speaker 4: Gold plus as well, very good, high.
Speaker 1: Level today all right, who's off for a five hundred dollar at dinner? Well done to Mary for ug Kid Joe Kid Joe, Well done, Mary.
Speaker 3: Christian o'connall show Podcast.
Speaker 1: Christian O'Connell's show. Every Tuesday on the show, we do something called small Thing.
Speaker 2: Big Rage, Small Thing sig.
Speaker 1: Oftentimes it is small things that tip you over the edge in life. Last week, Mike, people who put whole boxes in my family in the recycling beam without breaking them up. Hank when the dresser drawers are left open after getting ready for the day, Kelly. When the palmer is put on top of the chips, chips should be on the side, Samantha. People who don't walk on escalators stand in the middle or stand by the side with another person. Jenny, you don't put a bin liner in the bin after emptying it. My wife does this all the time, and it's a gray area. What tasks are assigned in relationship is that there's been no formal sit down. But wife goes in my mind that sort of thing you should be in charge of. Where are these written down? Twenty seven years in marriage here and I'm still finding out what are this? It's never ending this of what's my stuff?
Speaker 4: I've got to bring you these cards that have got over summer called fair game cards. Bian can put purchase them. And what it is is every conceivable job in a household. You lay them all out in front of you and you almost negotiate what is yours and what.
Speaker 1: So it's kind of like domestic domestic duties draft day.
Speaker 4: Yes it is, but you don't want that. So I've got bins in my house, which means means refilling the bin liners and bins in their bathroom.
Speaker 1: Also picking up dog boop as well, because that's fine under bin stuff.
Speaker 4: Apparently that is on my list. I was feeling like a lot of stuff on Bianca's list was stuff she was already doing, like and only have to do very rarely sign Gordy up for kindergarten. It's like, how often is shouting at you every day?
Speaker 2: Perhaps you've got a new one for small things, but this.
Speaker 6: This drove me crazy.
Speaker 7: Yesterday Chris and I had to go and do the grocery shop and they obviously been really really busy because when we got to the outside little trolley bait there were none that obviously been really busy, so there were none anywhere.
Speaker 1: So this drives me absolutely nuts because who has coins?
Speaker 6: I never have coins, never have cos.
Speaker 2: Remember they used to live in your car.
Speaker 1: You would have that coin drawer, I believe, because you needed them for parking machines. Now it's like tap and you can pay, but no one has coins anymore.
Speaker 7: No, no, anyway, we finally tracked two down in the corner far corner of the car park, but they were joined. They were joined, and we.
Speaker 2: Didn't Chris, light your handcuffed to each other? Two criminals on the right. I'm going oh no, no, you can't. Got to come to eight.
Speaker 7: We'd wasted like fifteen minutes already try to find the trolleys. And then we get and I have got one of those little you can buy, those little tokens that you meant to put on your key chain, universal universal thing, and you shove it in the slot the one or the two dollars sort of area, and it just we should get.
Speaker 2: A load of those. Yes, the golden.
Speaker 7: Coin totally with our shows signal on it. But this lady could
Speaker 3: Like a baby swan that The Christian O'Connell Show podcast