Speaker 1: Hi everyone, and welcome to another episode of the Sitdown. I'm Mattrolope, a rat an editor for oz open dot com.
Speaker 2: And I'm Big Christian, managing editor for Australian Tennis magazine. And Matt, why are we sitting down this week with Mary Carillo?
Speaker 1: Well, viv The timing's perfect because later this year, in the week ahead of the uside bit, Mary's being inducted into the International Tennis Hall of Fame. And not only that, but she's being inducted alongside Roger Federer, which is so cool. Mary had a fabulous playing career of her home. She won the Roland Garross mixed doubles title with John McEnroe in the seventies and rose to world number thirty three in singles. But since retiring, she's gone on to have an even more distinguished broadcast career.
Speaker 2: Mary's actually been inducted in a contributor category, which is thoroughly disserved because she's had such a spectacular broadcast career. As you say, and even though she is too humble to say it, she's set a fabulous example for other women in the sport.
Speaker 1: Mary Carillo, thank you very much for joining us today on the Sit Down Podcast. It's great to see you.
Speaker 3: It's great to see you, and I really enjoy your part. I really enjoy it.
Speaker 1: Oh, thank you.
Speaker 2: It's good.
Speaker 1: Good to know we have a listener or a watch up we got on.
Speaker 3: Well, I love I love what you two did with my great friend Lindsay Davies.
Speaker 1: Oh, thank you.
Speaker 3: She's about as great an American as we We.
Speaker 2: We love that interview, didn't we. We could have talked to Lindsay for hours, but again we had limited.
Speaker 1: Studio studio time. But yeah, Lindsay was phenomenal and where Yeah, really pleased that you've joined us as well as another fantastic guest. We're in the in the world do we find you at the moment?
Speaker 3: I am currently in Naples, Florida. I have I have a place here. I still have a place up in New York, where I'm from, but I spent a lot of time down here. Lovely, you've already met two of my fiatic.
Speaker 1: Delightful characters on screen.
Speaker 3: They're just.
Speaker 1: We can't wait for a cameo from the third.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you've actually given me a great idea. But you need to bring my dog?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well we should. We should ask you First of all, Mary, the reason why chatting to you is because there's been the fantastic news that you're going to be inducted into the International Tennis Hall of Fame in twenty twenty sixty m as in the contributed category. And I just wondered, how does that make you feel to hear that.
Speaker 3: It's it's look, I genuinely I never saw it coming. I really didn't. And there have been tremendous contributors in this category before. I'm glad there's another woman in there, but you know, Bud Collins, the late great Bud Collins is in there. Richard Evans still one of my favorite writers, as in they're glad as helm and you know it's there, on and on to be a to be a contributor and to go in the same summer that Roger Feeder's come. It's silly. It's silly, but I'm.
Speaker 1: Going, Yeah, I'm gonna go. It's phenomenal. It is the week, I think, the week before the US opening in August. So what are you most looking forward to to that? And the fact, yeah, it's at Newport in Rhode Island, the International Tennis Hall of Fame. They're a historic place. Yeah, what are you most looking forward to?
Speaker 3: It is an absolutely remarkable place. It's it's so full of history and so full of charm. I've covered tournaments there and I've been able to visit there as well. The year that Nick Bolterterry went in, I introduced I introduced Nick and that was that was an awful lot of fun. In fact, Lindsay Davenport got in that same summer. It's actually so as you know, as being Aussie is you know how the Majors are now three week events. This fall on the day before the main draw starts at the US Open. So I'll actually be working Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday at the US Open. It's called Fan Week and it's and the mixed doubles. I'll be covering the mixed doubles. There's actually now the mixed doubles was such a big hit. I don't know how it went over over there, but it was such a big hit. Now there's a qualifying day for.
Speaker 1: Mixed doubleshow and.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of there's a lot of dough involved, there's a lot of cabbage to be had, and a lot of the players take it. They took it seriously last year. So I'll be going from there to Newport, which is about four hours away drive from New York, and then I'll be in Newport, which is a gorgeous place, for a couple of days, and then i'll be back for Night one of the US Open. I'm very much looking forward to it. The whole thing sounds exhausting now that I've said it out loud, but a lot of my friends are going to be there, and the place, as I'm sure you know, it's sold out in two minutes. That's obviously. Roger Fetter is that big a draw. And they've added three thousand seats because they can't fit everybody who wanted. Yeah, there's like one of the it's like an arena because they play a tennis from it there. Now they had to add three thousand seats because I mean Roger Rogers, I mean he's the first of the Big Three and the Big four. If you want to get in, it's going to be I think it's going to be spectacular.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's going to be amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, congratulations, Yeah, congratulations, Larry. I love an origin story, and I wondered if you could take us back and tell us about your start in tennis.
Speaker 3: I'm very, very lucky that my family we grew up in a beautiful little part of Queens, New York called Douglaston. We're from Douglas Matters, right on the water, right on Little Neck Bay, part of Long Island. Sound play anything you know. And back then when I was, you know, a little mini burger, I mean you could you just you leave in after breakfast and then your parents, your mom says, come home when the street lights come on. The Douglason Club was only a couple of blocks away from me, and I swam there and I started to play tennis there. My dad played, and then there was there's kid who lived right up the block named John McEnroe, followed by a kid brother, a couple of them, Mark, and then Patrick McEnroe, who's now the president of the International Tennis Hall of Fame. We all we all started playing there and it was. It was great. It was and you know, the US Open used to be played at Forest Hills, which was about twenty minutes away from Douglaston. Anyway, the story is that, you know, we watched the US Open as little kids, and John and Patrick McEnroe and my sister and a whole bunch of other kids from Douglas and we're ball kids there. Uh. I grew up around the US hope you know. Uh. In fact, my my mom used to let me skip the first couple of days of school every year. My sketchy academic record. But I mean growing up with John McEnroe. I'm two years older than John, but he I just followed him around even though I was the older kid. He started playing a lot. He started going, you know, entering tournaments, going to the Port Washington Tennis Academy, where we both had the great good luck of being coached by Harry Hopman, one of the most important people in my life. Mister Hotman was a tremendous force. In fact, when I when I was finishing high school, mister Hoptman decided to leave New York, uh, to move to his own academy, his own place in Florida, And he asked me if I want to go without consulting my parents. Yes, my mom is still waiting for me to go to college. I mean, my seventieth year on Earth, I just don't feel like going at this stage. Again, it was kind of lucky. It was a great time. Tennis was a big deal in the seventies in my country. I mean it was huge. A lot of things were going on, you know, Arthur ash was playing, Billy Jean King was changing sports, you know, Jimmy Connors and Chritsy and Martina and all that john and it was just a great time to be a little kid who likes tennis. So that was that's that's a very short version of my origin.
Speaker 2: What did you most love about I mean, it sounds like so many things, but what did you most love about tennis?
Speaker 3: Honestly, I was a pretty good athlete all around, and I followed the seasons like little kids do. Tennis was the one sport I really I was really bad.
Speaker 2: At relate to that, but I never got better.
Speaker 3: And again fortunately, I mean, you know, tennis isn't you know, It's not a pickup sport, you know, you know, it's not like basketball or soccer or football where you just watch what the other kids do and you try to, you know, play along. I mean, you have to be given strokes, you have to be given grips, you have to and then when you get better, you have to be given strategy tactics, you know. And but again I was very lucky that at our crazy little club there was a very good tennis teacher. His name is Dan Dwyer, and I just watched him. I watched him teach, and you know, he would teach these ladies who kind of sucked, you know, but so he'd be feeding. There were no rallies, and I kept I kept feeding his basket of balls so that I could listen to him coach. And in fact, John McEnroe, John knew Dan Dwyer as well. Dan, you know, had a look at John's game too. So I think I liked it because I really wanted to be good at it. And I was never honestly, genuinely this is not false modesty. I was never that good. But in the time I played, and it was only for a couple of seasons, you could still kind of you could still play like I was. I never got higher than thirty three in the world.
Speaker 1: Guys, that's pretty good, Mary, And we're going to come to that.
Speaker 3: What I'm saying. What I'm saying is I mean I wouldn't breathe near tennis player like my My game would never have held up had I played at a different time. Everybody now is so much better. The quality is so much better. But I loved it. I mean, I still love it. I still think it's I like all rackets sports. Honestly, I think it's a beautiful tool. You know, I'm pretty good at ping pong. I'm not sure that really another story for perhaps, no, I mean anything squash and anything. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Interesting, Yeah, that's fantastic. You are getting inducted to the Hall of Fame in your role as a contributor for your broadcasting career, but you are a Grand Slam champion. You won Roland Garris Mixed in nineteen seventy seven with John McEnroe, and you were only twenty and I think he was eighteen. How did you guys pull that off when you were so young? I'm assuming was that your first tournament together?
Speaker 3: It was, I mean, obviously we had played with each other, you know, and we drilled together, but we had never played in any kind of a formal tournament together. I was a rookie. There's a nineteen seventy seven I was twenty year right. John was there on behalf of the United States Tennis Association. He was to play in the French Open Juniors and Wimbledon Juniors. And he got a stipend from five hundred bucks from them. That's it. That was supposed to the last wow, like six weeks in your so neither one of us had we you know, we had no money. Uh we had John. It was during the World Team Tennis days, so a lot of professional players weren't allowed to play the French Open on you two are too young to remember all that, but it allowed us to get in. There was a sign up sheet for mixed doubles, and yeah, let's sign up. And John looked at the list. This is this is John McEnroe. This won't support He looked at the list of players who had already signed up for the mix and he said, oh, man, I mean we should win this thing. What are you talking about? Like I saw, you know, And anyway, and then we picked our way through and we ended up winning the winning the thing. It was John's first major. It was my last major. Uh you know, I mean John was a remarkable a remarkable doubles player. Even then. He had such a sense of the court and the angles he could he saw, He saw rallies and angles that nobody else could see, even when he was just a little kid. And then a couple of weeks later, of course, he got himself to the semis of Wimbledon, and that's where people really his name wasn't made when he won the mixed with me, I felt.
Speaker 2: That way he definitely had.
Speaker 3: And then people really wanted to know who these guy was.
Speaker 1: But I and you do you do downplay your career, But yes, you are a major champion. You got to thirty three in the world in singles, you made the third round of singles at Wimbledon, and you've also made quarterfinals if women's doubles, I think at the US Open as well. So when you that isn't that is an excellent career, what with all that time and space between it. Now, how do you honestly reflect on your on the playing career side of your tennis journey?
Speaker 3: My hand to God, Matt, I'm being honest. I loved it. I loved it, but I had my knees were terrible. I was still in high school, and again my mom wanted me to I had some scholarship offers tennis scholarship offers from some good schools, but you know, hardcore tennis. For four years, I knew I'd never get a shot i'd be blown out my knees. You know. Right away, I knew I'd never get a shot to play professionally, and it's really what I wanted to do, even though again there was a ceiling and I was very aware of it. And guys, if you grow up with John McEnroe, you know, from the time you're ten years old, you know how good you aren't. And I was fine with that. It made me work harder. I loved practicing. I loved watching matches, you know. Mister Hotman when he used to rain, mister Hutmad would take out his whole film projector men, black and white movies of when he was a Davis Cup captain, and he would tell us what ema was like and what labor was like. In Fred Staally, who I got to work with. I mean, I loved every bit of it. But and again I knew I had a very small window, so I played everywhere. I wanted to also see the world, you know, So I played as much as I could until you know, I was riding on rims and then I had to stop.
Speaker 1: That's fair.
Speaker 2: Wow, Your career is listed as nineteen seventy seven to nineteen eighty What was it like competing sort of in that time on the Tennis Tour sort of the WTA was quite new, it was. It felt like a bit of a transition.
Speaker 3: Oh so. And again I just feel like the time and the space where I actually got to play professional tennis was so special. You know, there was something called on futures, you know, where you make your way up into the bigs, you know, the Big Leagues was Virginia Slims at the time, and I remember the first time I qualified. You get two weeks, you know, and then you know after that if you lose earlier. Back down in the miners, I remember walking into the locker room the first time I ever got there, and it was Chris Evert, Rosie Cassals, Billy j and King Virginiu Wade. I mean these people I've idolized, just absolutely. And there was and again, when you're playing in the miners, you're really you're just you're playing at you know, country clubs. In the locker room, everything is terrible. This place was all tricked out and there was free food. There were practice balls like a thing night, and Chrissy was I'll never forget that. There was a plate of like cut up cheese, and then Chrissy said, Hi, uh, you know, want a piece of cheese? And I said, oh my god, christ if I wanted cheese, I love it. Yeah, it was, it was. And you know what's really something is because I've been hanging around the game so long, these Chrissy, Martina, Pamshriver, Billy g these, there's there's some of my very best friends. I'm very, very lucky. So that was my experience. I was overwhelmed. The last year I played, I'd had three top twenty wins. I thought, you know, I thought, you know, if I could ever get into the top twenty, you know, that would be that would be great for me. That would have been a great thing. But they my knees cracked out of wimbled. In nineteen eighty that was the last time I played first one real quick. It's honestly, I don't regret. I don't regret a thing I think I've been. I think I've been blessed. It's been for me, it's been magical.
Speaker 1: One thing you said about tennis's that have got to take you all over the world, and you want to to take that opportunity with both hands. But we've looked at your playing record, and it doesn't seem you ever played at the Australian Open well.
Speaker 3: Because it used to be played around Christmas, and you know, and I didn't think I was really good enough to schlep all the way to Australia and you know, and survived, you know, a couple of weeks there. I didn't think I could afford it. Really it's and I never felt like I was broke. I just didn't have any money. But I will tell you, I'll tell you a story. I'll tell you a story. My kid's sister, Gina, we all used to, you know, hang out. And Gina went to this was a New Year's Eve party and John McEnroe was already playing very good tennis. So Gina went with him and got really drunk, I mean just barfing all over the place and John and she had gone with John. So John dropped Gina off at my parents' house and then like took off, made sure she wasn't gonna die, but then he took off. Anyway. My mom the next morning, where is he? Where is that John? You know? And Gina said, he's flying to Australia. He had to leave the continent. He was the Wrath of Terry Carilla. I'm sorry. I've been able to call tennis mansions that the Australian Open many times, and I've always loved that tournament, but no, I never got to play.
Speaker 1: So what So when did you first come and what did you think of it when you first made the trip?
Speaker 3: Oh? Did I come? I think I came. H I actually was there for Kuyag I think I did. Yeah, yeah, yeah, which I loved. I loved and when I heard it was moving and it was going to be on hardcorets. God, damn it, that's who's gonna Yeah, that sounds like a terror idea. And of course it's one of the great it's one of the best sporting events in the world. In the end.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it worked on around US Open, did it too?
Speaker 3: I guess you guys, you're masked up quickly and you got it done. Yeah. So yeah, I don't remember. I mean I remember some great you know, obviously, some great Australian Opens, and I've been watching them all for all these years at four o'clock in the morning here. But uh no, it's a it's a great I wish I had played it. I wish I had played it. I think I would have loved the.
Speaker 2: Experience you did make the transition into tennis commentary or broadcasting. What what were you most kind of captivated by in that career.
Speaker 3: You know, I was in between knee operations. I had four knee operations. In between knee operations, I taught tennis for mister Hoppon. So I was spending a lot of time in Florida, and I was trying to figure out what the hell I was going to do. I was thinking about going to film school because I love film, and I've been lucky enough to do a bunch of documentaries have meant a lodge to me. I was just trying to figure out what to do, and I luckily some guy who's still a friend of mine, Mark Stillberg, he heard me do some pickup commentary at Madison Square Garden the end of nineteen seventy nine, the Avon Championships. He happened to hear me call a match and it was just a pickup. I had talked about the upcoming match. It was a late at night match, Tracy Austin against Von Guligan, and all the people who you wanted to interview in between matches had already left. It was late at night, I was still around. I started talking about what a great match this is going to be and why, and so I got invited up into the booth and that was the first time I ever did it. And frankly, I'd already blown the SuDS off a couple of beers. So I was even who so that I normally am. But it was fun, but it was not It was not a career. I mean, I was still playing anyway. After I lost in forty one minutes in the first round of Wimbledon that that next summer. A guy who's producing tennis women's tennis for the first time remembered hearing me that one night, and he asked me if I if I wanted to try it. And that was about forty seven years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, forty seven years and many awards. There was a large incredible achievements later. I'm sure that you always drew on your actual playing career in your broadcasting, but I was wondering, are there any sort of parallels between preparing for a big match and actually broadcasting one calling one?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I again, I'm a worker. I was never I mean, I was never gifted. You know, the way so many professional tennis players are so but I loved I loved watching it, studying it, preparing for it. You know, I'm very I'm a nerd, is what. I'm very nerdy. I like I like to prepare, yes, I mean it's that's the only time I feel comfortable is when I know going in that I've I've done the I've done the work, and then that The thing about it is what I like so much about calling matches is I know, like I sit next to Jim Currier and Lindy Davenport and John McEnroe, I all these remarkable players whose entire careers I called. I think I have a good sense of what how to get the most out of them, you know what I mean, Like, how do you draw it out of them? What do they like to talk about? What do they what do they know that there's no chance? I know, you know. And now with all the analytics and the data and all that stuff, it's become even more of that, and I like having the pros explain things to me. I found when I was I've called a lot of matches with John McEnroe over the years, and it got to a point where I realized he was watching the player who was he was describing the player who was winning and why, and I was I tend to be watching the other side of the net, like I know why that dude is going down. So, I mean the similarities again, it's all about I think it's all about knowing that you're you're going in having worked for it, you know, earning it, earning the spot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's the most memorable match or moment that you've been in the booth for. That's a hard question. I know it because your career has gone a long time. But I mean, is there one that stands out?
Speaker 3: I'm so elderly what it was? What was very very special? Uh? And anybody who anybody who worked on the ninety nine I'm sorry the nineteen ninety one US opened the Jimmy run. Yeah, I mean I got to I got to be a part of that and that, I mean it still makes me smile. Uh. It's and and Brett Connors, Jimmy's kid, uh now is one of the producers at Tennis Channel, and he's a He turned out to be a really good kid. I mean, that was very special. Look, so many, so many I loved calling the twenty four Olympics, that final with Djokovic chan Al Karez. That is absolutely one of the to my mind, one of the best two set, straight set matches I've ever called. I mean, I did, look, I did, I did, I did, Groff and Stellas, Chrissy Martinez, Samprus Agacy, you right up to now. So, I mean usually usually the matches that stick with me are the ones where I jump out of my seat about forty times, you know, which I which I tend to do. I'm flat in my arms and going crazy. And I've been very, very blessed, very blessed.
Speaker 2: Through your career. You have You've set an example, and in some ways you've opened the door for a lot of women in broadcasting. Is that something that is proud for you?
Speaker 1: Gives you pride?
Speaker 3: If that's true, It's something I'd be I'm most proud of, you know. I was. I learned at the Neo Billy Jean King. I got to know Billy. You know, she was living in New York when and I'm a New Yorker and I got to know her from even I think even before I turned pro, I would I would be around Billy, I practice with her, and you know she I learned so much from her, like what she what mattered to her, you know what, what she felt the planet should be like as it spins around sun. Uh. And she always I think she she she was always pushing me, you know, and saying, no, this is important. There have been times over the many years I've been I've been announcing where I would go up to Billy and say, you are not going to believe this. They are not going to let me call that man's match. I'd bark. I'd complain to her, this just this isn't fair, this isn't and I would like, I'd say, I just can't do it, you know, I just can't deal with the politics of this. And and she'd say, you can't leave the building. You can't leave the building and throw rocks at the windows. You've got to stay in there. More than once Billy, Billy Jean King convinced me that it mattered that I hang around it and keep trying. So yeah, that, uh, if it's true, and I don't know how true it is. I think there are a lot more women even behind the scenes now, you know, in the production trucks and you know, like not just on the air, but off the air, it's opened up a lot, I think, I mean, I certainly, I think I slips streamed through that. I'm not sure I had anything to do with it, but I feel like I was there for the good times. You know, I've been very lucky.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's wonderful to hear you mentioned that you still have it. And I read a lot of Bulg McEnroe, Sam Prasagasy, graft sellas how and you're still you're in the sport. Now, how does this current generation and tennis now stack up.
Speaker 3: Oh, they're right up there, Matt, they are right up there. The quality of tennis. I mean they're playing at a different it's a different plane as well. It's a different level physically in terms of coaching again, in terms of the analytics and stream technology, racket technology, they're doing things, and that's that's. Look. I've covered seventeen Olympics. I mean through the years, you see just how much better and every how better. They're better trained, they're better coached, you know, they they pace themselves better, all that kind of stuff. I mean, Alcaaz Center, I think they're going to be around for a long time, and I'm very happy for that. I mean Djokovic. I do believe that Novak has been the greatest. I have no problem saying he's the greatest of all time. So yeah, and the women too, I mean, Sabalanca is really she's really upped her game in so many important ways. And Siantek now is trying to she's lost her footing and she's she looks hectic out there and she's trying to figure out a way to get back. I'm sure she'll be happy that clays underneath her feet. Yeah, as a as we are speaking, you know, they're just it's remarkable. I mean, it's and it's fun. Coco is just a genuine Coco Golf is a genuinely good person, very solid, very solid citizen. You know, they're just you guys. You guys know how good it's gotten. I'm very aware of of how high the quality is these days. I'm glad it's I'm glad it's that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Tennis is in very good hands. Let's say, yeah, yeah, Mary, we would love to talk to you all day, but unfortunately time is against us. But I do have one last question for you. Tennis has taken you around the world and to the top of the to the top of your game in your career. Do you ever stop and think about what this sport has given you in your life?
Speaker 3: It's given me everything. It's given me. It has shaped and formed my entire life. I have no doubt about it. I again, to find something that you love so young and to be passionate about that one thing, I mean and nothing else. You know, people say, oh, you sacrifice your childhood. I didn't sacrifice a damn thing. I did exactly what I wanted to do with the people I wanted to do it with, you know. I mean, it meant the world to me that that I got to that Tennis became, you know, my identity in so many important ways. I mean, it's done. It's done. And I was at some dinner with Serena Williams. I was m seeing it and she was there and I said to her, you know, thank you for putting my children through college. You know, that's oh wife. That is how how much I understand that this sport has given me. And just in terms of everything I feel like, you know, I try to live up to Billy Jean King. I try to live up to sport. You know, I tried to. It's been a very good compass. I think for me, you know, ah, it's my load star, you know, so I guess that's my answer.
Speaker 1: Well, tennis has given you an enormous amount, but you've also given an enormous amount to the sport and we're both so proud of you that you're getting acknowledged with that for the International Tennis Hall of Fame induction this year. And thank you so much for this chat. It was fantastic to talk to you. It was great, amazing, Thank you Mary.
Speaker 2: Well, Matt, doesn't that make you want to book your ticket to Newport?
Speaker 1: Absolutely?
Speaker 3: It does.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a shame there's no tickets available. We've done over one hundred interviews for the sit Down and I don't think I've ever laughed as much.
Speaker 1: Absolutely agreed. It was an honor to chat to Mary. And we'll be back next week with another episode of the sit Down. Please subscribe so you never miss an episode when it lands in your fee, and if you could leave us a rating and a review, we'd love that too. We'll see you next week, vib see them, Matte