Speaker 1: On today's show, Sky Wheatley slammed through promoting Calarium Sunbeds only fans. Creator Mikayla Tester is detained by US Border Forces, Ruby Tuesday, Matthews designer Baby Haul, and why Bet Judd can't buy.
Speaker 2: Wine in New Zealand.
Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Outspoken. It's your dose of the hottest influencer and pop culture news twice a week. I'm Kate Torbert and I was really surprised over the weekend to find out how Jardey Tunci and Steph Claire Smith met. So I always assumed that they met on a brand trip. However, jar Day has revealed that she fanned girl Steph Claire Smith on a photo shoot before they became friends. I was even more surprised to find out that Jarday was actually working as a social media manager for a fast fashion brand on this photo shoot, so it was her job to take content of Steph, and jar Day basically went up to Stephan straight out said that she loved her. That's a bold move to actually go up and tell somebody that you love them. I've been in those situations at work where we've been on photo shoots and there's been people there with a high profile, and my go to is to act like I don't know who they are, which I think isn't the best move after hearing this, because you almost don't want to make yourself look like a loser and beneath them. But if you're in a photo shoot and it's with a well known person, it's pretty obvious that everyone knows who they are. You always freeze Sophie that I do. It might be these people that Sophia would probably get along with so well and that you really admire, but you just don't know what to say. But the thing is, this would have been a couple of years ago and Steph probably wasn't a huge name that she is now. She would have just been an influencer. So I think in those situations you could legitimately pretend that you don't know who they are, and that would be my go to, because I never think that this person is going to want to be my friend if there's an power imbalance there. But even I think you don't pretend that you don't know who they are, but actually going up and fangirling as different like you can act as if you know who the person is and you've got admiration for them, but you don't go, oh my, I effing love you.
Speaker 2: I think it's different.
Speaker 1: If you say I really respect what you do and I've followed you from Afar and it's really nice to meet you.
Speaker 2: I think that's completely different.
Speaker 1: Do you think that they became friends after this shoot or they only became friends when jar Day became an influencer? Well, she actually explained that they were on several shoots together before deciding to actually meet up outside of work, and that's how the friendship blossomed. So there was a power and balance there. I do wonder though, Steph Glear Smith has spoken a lot about how she was friends with Taylor Swift when she was living in New York, so Steph would have been on the other side of this type of relationship, and I suppose that might be why she agreed to be friends with jar Day. I wonder if Steph provided jar Day with any pointers about how to build her influencer following or perhaps start a business, because it seems like her career really came out of nowhere. Perhaps it was like that Shaney, Grimm and Click where Lily Brown suddenly befriended Shana and then her Instagram took off. Yeah, she's probably that background person. Everyone's like, who is that girl that's friends with Steph?
Speaker 3: Like, I don't know.
Speaker 4: It just feel like it's such a massive call to say to someone with the following, like all the people who are following you are your responsibility. Like that just wigs me out.
Speaker 1: Sky Wheatley has caused outraged after promoting the use of colarium sun beds on her Instagram. The twenty nine year old hit back at her critics, saying she shouldn't be held accountable for what her followers choose to do, so.
Speaker 2: What's gone down?
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 1: On Friday night, Sky Wheatley took her followers along for her appointment at Gold Coast tanning clinic Body Bronze and followers were shocked when she posted a video of a sun bed with its bright purple light on and wrote found a calarium. Now I have never heard of a calarium until now. I assumed it was a typo. Well, yeah, they seem to have recently emerged on the market, so Sky wrote it looks like a solly, but it's not. For those not following along. That is the short term for solarium so the commercial use of solariums was banned in Australia in twenty fifteen due to the risk of melanoma in its users. Disturbingly, though, they can still be purchased for private use. Before I read out the rest of Sky's quote, I want to preface that what she wrote has no factual basis and is incredibly dangerous. So she wrote, the calarium has red light therapy with zero point eight percent UV, so you won't burn, and it's a safer alternative to sun baking. Naturally, it improves sleep and helps with collagen and elastin for overall good skin health. Now, Sky's sun forest was also in the room with her whilst the sun bed was on and emitting the light. She also shared a subsequent photo of herself standing in front of the calarium with her pants pulled down and she was wearing Brazilian cut undies to show off her tan marks from the colarium, and she was looking incredibly bronzed. She wrote, I wasn't expecting to get any color at all. I mainly wanted to improve my sleep. Apparently it helps with that. He here, so we keep you posted. I actually wanted to buy one for myself, so I'm already sold. This actually makes me feel so so sick and really pissed off. We have seen an influx of influencers sharing their tan lines, and I feel like it is slowly creeping back into our culture. The absolute joke that Sky is saying that she's actually using it for her sleep. I mean, the thing is called a kolarium. It's playing off the word solarium.
Speaker 2: We all know what people are using it for.
Speaker 1: She's also visiting a tanning salon to get it done. I don't buy for a second that this is used for sleep, because she has such a long documented obsession with tanning. So when she started her YouTube channel, she would share videos of her excessively tanning with oil, and in twenty seventeen, she caused outrage when she told her followers that she wished she was a naturally tanned Aboriginal. After apologizing for having streaky tanned hands, she added that she didn't mean for the comments to sound racist and asked, was that racist. I'm not a racist person, Like I actually dated an Aboriginal guy and I wish I had Aboriginal in my blood or just some type of anything that makes you brown. I don't even know where we go from those comments because they are so appalling. She has also continue to share videos and photos of her self tanning throughout the years, but says it's okay because she has sun cream on. Do you think that Sky is so foolish that she actually believes there are health benefits to this calarium and she thinks that she's actually helping her followers by telling them about this. No, it was clearly a paid partnership, and that she wants this calarium tanning machine for herself. I am really sick of Sky getting off scott free by saying, oh, maybe she didn't understand. I mean, I think in this day and age, we've had enough education, particularly in schools, to know how dangerous the sun is. Well. Following Sky's post of the calarium, she did receive widespread backlash. One user wrote, you absolutely do not understand how skin cancer is caused. There is no level of a safe tan Another said, you're not just sharing what you do. There are so many impressional people that you were reaching. So Sky responded to the hate in a nine minute rant, saying she isn't responsible for the choices her followers make and shouldn't be held accountable. Here's a snippet of what she said.
Speaker 3: Honestly, to hold people accountable for what other people do in their life, that's got to fucking stop. Like absolutely not Like I don't agree with that, I agree with what some people have said and the dangers of skin cancer, et cetera. But holding people accountable online for other people's wellbeing and lives and stuff like that, Like, no, babe, I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna draw the line there, like I'm really drawing a lot. In no way, shape or fucking form, am I holding a gun to someone's head saying you must do as I do.
Speaker 5: You must speak as I speak, you must breathe as I breathe, you must live as I live. Like, That's not what I'm doing, And I'm not trying to force people to do what I'm doing. I'm simply sharing what I like to do. I understand that young teenage girls get the impression that if they do what I do, they're gonna look like me or whatever, Like I understand that, so it, But I'm not your mother.
Speaker 4: I'm not your mother. I do not have responsibility over what you do in your life. I'm sorry, Like I love, I love and care for you guys, and I genuinely like I love you.
Speaker 3: All like a mother. But I did not fucking birth six hundred thousand people.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry. You have responsibility. As soon as you take a paycheck. As an influencer, you are a role model. I mean, I don't know why she is a role model. She has so many followers, and I'm surprised they haven't dropped off. But her job is an influencer. As the name suggests, she influences people, right or wrong. She even acknowledged in that rant that young women want to follow her beauty routine so that they can look like her, so she is aware of the influence that she has. The difference is that she only wants the influence when it's good. So she wants the influence when she's trying to flog off her own products or trying to do a brand sponsored post. But she doesn't want the influence when she has to stop doing things that she literally wants to go out and do herself. Don't partner with this colarium company, then if you don't want that, well, it's unclear whether she did partner with the company, because there was no you know hashtag gifted or anything, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that doesn't mean anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but she could have got a freebie from there. And also talk about shifting the blame to your followers. I mean, half of her following probably didn't even know what a qularium was until she posted the story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and also.
Speaker 1: She's saying, oh, I wasn't telling people what to do, but she was literally outlining all the supposed benefits of this product.
Speaker 2: I mentioned it.
Speaker 1: There is no way that that was an organic post, like she was getting something out of it. She also finished the rant by saying that the more people who hate her, the better.
Speaker 6: Here's what she said, I personally would rather follow someone who is genuine and authentic to themselves rather than someone who's trying so hard to get everyone to like them.
Speaker 7: Do you know what, guys, the more people that.
Speaker 8: Hate me the fucking better, because it shows how organic and authentic I'm being to myself.
Speaker 4: And I fucking love that my followers don't drop tonight.
Speaker 8: I'm going to be concerned because I am so authentic and true to myself that if people ain't hated on me, it's a fucking concern. That's what's up. Peace out to get sushi after Jim and live my fucking amazing life that I built and I love.
Speaker 1: So much that I don't have the time to troll. The thing that's so depressing about that comment is it's so true because influencers only stay relevant when they are controversial. She has been involved in so many controversies and still has so many followers, remains relevant, still gets brand deals. Away from this circus, let's get into some of the actual facts. So, Body Bronze is a tanning salon on the Gold Coast and the business doesn't appear to have a website. They did have an Instagram account, but it is no longer showing up under the same handle. Following all of this backlash that I would presume was directed to their page by sky So before the business owner chose to shut down the account, they wrote on Instagram just a friendly reminder that Body Bronze does not sell sessions. We sell lotion. The use of the calarium is free and at your own discretion. If this is something you were interested in, then please DM me. If not, continue to fake ten Now this statement made my blood boil. This is such a deceptive practice because commercial use of sun beds as I mentioned, has been banned in Australia since twenty fifteen.
Speaker 2: However, it is still legal.
Speaker 1: To own one in your home as long as you don't charge anyone for the use of it. So what Body Bronze appears to be doing here is working under a loophole. So they won't charge you for the use of the clarium, but they'll charge you for the lotion, probably a ton for that lotion too, because legally it means that they don't get in trouble for operating the calarium. It's like back in the day when it used to be illegal to sell pet rabbits and used to buy a little starter kit of you know, carrots and letters and then they'd throw in a rabbit. Yeah, not as dangerous, no, not as cute. It actually makes me feel ill that tanning salons are operating in this way. It's actually so appalling that this is able to happen, and it is actually a good thing almost that Sky Wheatley has brought this to the public attention, because I think there are a lot of people online who didn't know about this, and maybe through people power we can actually get this loophole eradicated. Well, I don't even know why they still sell sun beds if they're that dangerous. I mean, the argument would be, oh, well, people can still burn themselves in the sun, but you burn yourself at much more of a rapid pace in a celario. It's literally like saying, oh, we don't sell guns, We just sell the bullets. We loan out some guns and you can just go and use them. It's even more disturbing to take a look at how these calariums are being falsely advertised as something that helps you boost collagen and also is a safe way to tan, because it couldn't be further from the truth. So a local dermal therapist by the name of Jordan Russell. She has a bachelott of dermal science and she has been warning about these colariums for some time now. She wrote, there has been a new development in the world of sun beds with the emergence of colariums, which are a play on collagen and solarium. So Jordan said that colariums are being marketed as a safe way to tan and claims are being made that they stimulate collagen whilst providing a tan through uva radiation without the burning effects of UVB. She says, the harsh truth is that there is no way to safely tan, so whether you're exposed to UVA or UVB, you were always at risk of developing skin cancers and effects of premature aging due to uv damage. She also said the irony is that the beds claim to stimulate collagen, when in actual fact, the UVA exposure which you get in these beds actually breaks down collagen. So if you use these, your skin is actually going to age faster. Yeah, I was really shocked when I heard the term UVA thrown around because when I met with my dermatologists last year, she was talking about the suncream I should use because I have a lot of pigmentation, and she was saying that a lot of people focus on UVB because it's what is around when it's really hot, and it's the UVB.
Speaker 2: From the sun. However, UVA is around all the.
Speaker 1: Time and in winter, and it's something that really ages your skin and pigments it. So it just cracks me up that they're trying to push it as this new beauty treatment when an actual fact is aging your skin and causing pigmentation.
Speaker 2: Do you think there's a bit of.
Speaker 1: Confusion with consumers because we've seen so much about red light saunas and how different light therapy can help the skin. Do you think people are actually confused by these colariomses? And I think that that's a part of the marketing spin. They're trying to confuse people, and they're trying to say, oh, look, you can actually get tanned and it's not going to damage your skin. And they're also using so many loopholes. So I think that people who are listening they should think to themselves next time they go to a tanning salon or to get a cosmetic procedure done, if this doesn't quite sound right, why am I not being charged for something? Maybe they should do a bit more research into it. And also the fact is that when you have signs of a tan on your skin, that is because your skin cells are in trauma.
Speaker 2: So it's obviously doing the.
Speaker 1: Same thing that a selarium does well, particularly when she had such evident tan lines after using this thing supposedly once. It just makes me so incredibly mad, And I hope that this conversation does generate a bit more awareness of what's happening at the moment, particularly after all the work that Sun Safety advocate Natalie Furnasia has done to raise awareness of melanoma. It just makes me feel so sick to my stomach that this is going on. We need to stay educated on these matters, and we need to ensure that the younger generation who were impression will also knows the truth.
Speaker 8: We've all started when we got off the plane.
Speaker 7: Yes, thank you, Peter. It all started when we got off the plane and discovered that the fly Low Hotel complex hadn't been built yet. It was just a mound of earth well, and that was our first disappointment. But we thought, ho hum, let's get on with it, and we dug a hole in the ground and stayed there.
Speaker 1: TikToker and OnlyFans creator Mikayla Tester has revealed she was detained by US border forces for forty two hours before being deported back to Australia. Now it's the second time the twenty three year old has been detained in the US. So Michayla took to her TikTok to explain exactly what happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: So Michayla was actually on her way to Cochella with her personal assistant Alisha on the White Fox sponsored trip. So after flying twenty hours from Perth to Los Angeles, Michaela said she was immediately approached by an American.
Speaker 2: Official and detained.
Speaker 1: She says this was due to an accidental violation of her Electronic system for Travel Authorization, which is known as an ESTER. So Michayla had listed her employment as self employed in the EST instead of listing her job as an OnlyFans creator. She explained that she completed the EST years ago and thought that self employed was the appropriate title. So once detained, Michaela said her devices were seized and officers started going through her phone.
Speaker 2: Here's what she said.
Speaker 9: When you're detained, you have no rights.
Speaker 10: They can take any of your they can seize your devices forever, they can go through.
Speaker 9: Them, they can take download anything off your phone. You have no rights.
Speaker 10: They basically own you and everything when you step foot into their country. I hadn't even given any CPP office on my phone yet, and they were already asking me questions about all of the people that I'm friends with in LA and about their business. They were asking me about their money, what they do on a daily basis, just if they do anything illegal, like just questions that like, I understand one hundred percent that this is a process and this.
Speaker 9: Is how things work and everything.
Speaker 10: And I was just in this room for hours, and I was willing to do this because if it meant that I was going to be able to get let into the US.
Speaker 9: I would do anything.
Speaker 1: Mikayla was then questioned by officers about who she was visiting in the US, about their businesses, their money, and if they do anything illegal. The officers then asked Mikayla if she had ever collaborated with anyone in the US before, and she confirmed that she had not. Just moments later, the officer then pulled up a Twitter photo of Mikayla topless with a number of girls from the US and accused her of lying to her face. Mickayla then explained that she had worked with the women, but not on US soil. So it was at this moment that Michaela then got sent to a secondary holding room where she was strip search and left in a room which she said look like it belonged in a war movie. She said the experience made her feel like a prisoner.
Speaker 2: Here's more of what she said.
Speaker 9: Had to go sit in a room where they have a box of tan PACs.
Speaker 10: They have a kettle, they have some cups of noodles, and they have these old outbeds.
Speaker 9: It looks like where they hold people like from the war, like the enemies. Look that was so that was so out of pocket, but like that's literally what it looked like. And I was just breaking down.
Speaker 1: So at this point, Mikayla assumed she was going to be deported and banned from the US because she had heard stories about other sex workers being banned for twenty years. Now, this is such a sterious story, but I did have to laugh because Michayla admitted that she started spiraling at the thought of no more American boys. She also said she developed Stockholm syndrome for one of the officers who was kind and sweet.
Speaker 2: Here's what she said.
Speaker 11: I cannot stop thinking about this man. I'm in love with him. He was so nice to me, Like just seeing him come into the room. I was in there for like days, just seeing him come into the room calling my name to talk to me and just being so kind and sweet.
Speaker 9: I'm in love with him, like I was just I was just watching the door waiting for him to walk in to talk to me. And this happened like ten times.
Speaker 1: It was quite funny because in the comment section on this video, one of Mikayla's followers wrote, girl, it's an interrogation tactic, him being so nice, to which Michayla responded.
Speaker 2: No, we're in love. I can feel it.
Speaker 8: Well.
Speaker 1: McKayla remained in this room for almost two days before she was then deported for violating her Esther NOW officers believed she was trying to work in the US.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 1: Mikayla found out she was being deported only an hour before the flight. And if you're being deported you aren't allowed to go through the airport like a regular passenger. You have to be a s it into a car onto the tarmac and led by police right to the plane door. Can you imagine the person that she was sitting next to, like if you're on a plane seeing someone come in like that? Or she actually flew business class still because her original flight was in business class and the US border people were going to send her back economy. But I think she begged this guy that she had a crush on to let her fly business so they actually did. Do you think that because she flew business over there, that they might have flagged her as someone of concern, particularly if they're trying to work out, well, she's self employed, how is she affording this? I mean they have all her information there as well. Let's not doubt that they're googling her. Oh and it would be such salt in the wound for Mikayla because, as I mentioned earlier, her personal assistant Alisha, traveled with her to Cochella and she was let through whilst Mikayla was detained. And she has been sharing so many photos of the trip showing the very lavish mansion that the group of influencers are staying at, and there was even a TV screen welcoming Michayla and Alisha to the accommodation, and she said, oh.
Speaker 2: Miss you.
Speaker 1: This actually reminds me when I was working at the thirty Six's and we flew over to Singapore to be a part of the Merlin Cup and we were all going through customs and one of the players got detained because his passport didn't have six months on it, and he actually got sent home that night. And we felt so bad because we're all living it up, sharing on our Instagram stories, and the poor thing was on this flight back home, well, Alicia.
Speaker 2: Must just be loving it.
Speaker 1: She has about thirteen thousand followers, which I think are off the back of Michayla, and they are apparently very good friends. But Mikayla does seem to have quite a falling out with friends, so I wonder whether this will cause.
Speaker 2: A bit attention.
Speaker 1: It's not her fault, Yeah, I know, it's not her fault. It's nice to see that she's actually got a real PA or one of the fake ones that we talked about. I do wonder if White Fox does hold some responsibility to ensure the influencers and talent get there safely well, particularly when White Fox knows she is big on OnlyFans. Wouldn't they have said, oh, make sure you feel this form in correctly and give a bit of a guy, particularly because this is the second time, as we mentioned, that Mikayla has been in the US. So in October last year, she and a friend were detained for five hours and Mikayla, of course did a TikTok video about this, and she explained that she made sure that she looked really ratchet bad because she knows that US customs are really strict, but her friend drew attention for her eyelash extensions and, as Mikayla described them, big fat, juicy lips. So it's kind of interesting though, because what she's clearly saying here is that US Border Control they do profile people, and they do have rules regarding sex workers being let into the country. So she's obviously making it aware that she knows about these rules. So it does seem like she probably purposely put that she was self employed. So her theory is that if you don't look as glam they're not going to pick on you. Well, yeah, and she said that she knew for a fact that they thought that she was a sex worker or an escort looking to work in the US, but on this occasion they were let into the country. The thing is she was clearly flagged back then in October as someone of interest to check in on next time, so that's probably why it happened. Well, this does seem to be an issue that is happening again and again, And in March of this year, freelance journalist Sophie k Rosa investigated this very issue, and she explored why an influx of sex workers are being detained by US border agents and the article explained that undercurrent laws, any person US border agents suspect has sold sex in the last ten years can be denied a visa, refused entry, detained, deported, and banned from the US for five to ten years. The laws are very vague, though, and referred to prostitution and commercialized vice and crimes involving moral turpitude. So many of these laws are grounded in turn of the twentieth century morality and they single out in particular female sex workers as a moral and as threats to American marriages and families. And once detained, many of these sex workers are subject to very intrusive, offensive, and harmful treatment. They asked a detail questions about their personal life and work, and they also must give up their phones, which a lot of agents tend to take advantage of and troll through for free incriminating evidence. And the experience in this article has been described by many sex workers as incredibly traumatizing. Many said that they felt as though they were being treated like a second class citizen and that the work they did was perceived as inherently criminal. So the journalists also interviewed a member of the United sex Workers trade who said that based on stories shared with the Union. They believe the border forces are using facial recognition surveillance technology to detect sex workers as well as background checks.
Speaker 2: That's pretty extreme.
Speaker 1: Now there is some speculation that some sex worker websites might share workers' personal data with the US Now. Others also believe that the US has a way of accessing this data without websites permission. That's pretty interesting speculation in light of the US's problems with TikTok now Away from only Fans, I was interested in the concept of whether it's legal for influencers to go on brand trips in a different country and essentially make money in that country. So a lawyer Sidney Wong's as, if a foreign influencer visits the US and performs paid marketing work for an American business without a work visa, then the influencer will have violated US immigration law. Indeed, even a seemingly harmless sponsored Instagram post may be a violation. Now, it does get very complicated, and of course it depends if an influencer has applied for visas or disclosed their work, also which country they're traveling too. In Michayla's case, she was being paid by White Fox Boutique, which is an Australian brand. But it does get murky because she's essentially promoting an American festival. We're assuming that Michaela was paid by White Fox to attend Coachella, like a number of the other influencers. But I do wonder if this is a gifted arrangement. And I wonder if a lot of brands do just offer gifted trips because then they avoid any of these situations where influencers are basically being paid by different countries and they avoid any issues with visas. I wonder how it works for influencers, say Olivia Rodgers recently went to Paris and she went there to shoot a lot of content in Clo I mean, two different countries. But I wonder how it works in that sense when there's not a specific brand deal. It's at the discretion of the influencer where they shoot their caun. I think with the amount of money that influencers are making off these sorts of trips, I think it will be something that new laws need to come into place for.
Speaker 12: So she's wearing this little Fendi dress to the wedding, which is I can't even then she has this cute little dog jacobarna Onesie that she looks so cute.
Speaker 1: In Ruby Tuesday, Matthews has caused a stir by sharing a designer baby clothing hall to Instagram. The Byron Bay influencers showed off the expensive outfit she was packing for her baby daughter ahead of their holiday to Fiji.
Speaker 2: K can you tell us more?
Speaker 1: Well, well, many of us are struggling with the cost of living crisis. Ruby Tuesday Matthews thought it was a good idea to flaunt her baby daughter's designer wardrobe, so she took her followers behind the scenes she packed for her holiday to Fiji. So Ruby is taking her three kids along to Fiji to attend a wedding.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 1: Ruby shared she had bought her daughter a Fendy dress to wear at the wedding, which costs a staggering nine hundred and eighty one dollars. Just to reminder, this is a dress for a baby which they're.
Speaker 2: Going to grow out of so quickly, I know.
Speaker 1: She went on to show she had also packed adulcy in cabanat Wusie that retails at three hundred and forty dollars, along with two Stella McCartney dresses and a Chloe dress, with all of these items costing in the hundreds. The kicker was the plain outfit she packed for Little Sunday was a white knitted top and leggins, which were sold separately but collectively cost one thousand, three hundred and sixty four dollars. It was quite funny because during the clothing haul, Ruby exclaimed that her baby daughter had a better wardrobe than her and I just wanted to add that.
Speaker 2: Ruby made a.
Speaker 1: Point of saying all the brand names, which she didn't actually add the prices. It was the wonderful Amber from Influencer Updates that source those prices. I just can't get over the fact that she's purchased a white outfit for her daughter to wear on the plane. That's over one thousand dollars. What if that kid vomits all over it? Yeah, I mean, I'm not a mum, but I don't know enough about babies that that outfit is going to be completely destroyed on that plane journey. I think if she wants to dress her baby in design outfit, that's obviously her business. She's got the money to do so. However, it's a bit tone deaf to share it at this time. It's obviously going to piss people off who are struggling financially. Well, clearly she's not very good at reading the room, like why would you post this in this current economic client. I think the excessive flaunting of wealth is not what her followers want to see, and I'd be interested to see if she lost any followers. I did want to have a look at Social Blade, but it takes a couple of days for them to update their figures and this only happened over the weekend. I wonder if the items of clothing were gifted, because it does seem like such a bizarre flex to put out there, and she did make an effort to read out all of the brand names. It's just not relatable to her audience at all. It was such a weird flex, and we don't know if it was gifted because she didn't disclose it. But it's not to say that it wasn't.
Speaker 4: A lot of that stuff.
Speaker 6: I've been drinking it for years.
Speaker 5: I'm going to see some identification really makes me feel young again.
Speaker 1: Beck Judd was refused service at a bottle oo in New Zealand because she didn't look old enough. The forty year old mother of four and her sister Kate were unable to purchase a bottle of wine because they couldn't produce their IDs to prove they were over eighteen, Kate, can you tell us more so? On Thursday, Beck shared a series of Instagram stories about her experience in a New Zealand bottle shop, and at first she wrote that she was excited to try a New Zealand bottle of rose, but then in the next slide shared a photo of the wine confiscated, so Beck revealed it had been taken from her and her sister because they weren't able to provide ID when they purchased it. She said she told the shop assistant that they were actually old enough to have eighteen year old children, and later on Beck shared a photo of her and Kate posing with the caption just a couple of underages trying to get a bottle of rose. Well, they do look a lot younger than they are. It was quite funny because the Daily Mail ran with the lead Bet Judd has been left distraught after she was refused to us at a bottle shop. This woman turned forty in January. She would have been the complete opposite of distoryer. She would have been thrilled, and let's be honest, the whole reason she shared the ordeal was a flex. I remember when I was younger, it used to be so mortifying to be idd However, now that I'm in my thirties, I get a kick out of it if someone asks for It's funny this week because a friend of mine also shared on social media that he got asked for ID at bottle shop and he's a dad of one. It's offensive as a guy. As a guy, I think you always want to look older. I was actually I think it was last year for Dale's birthday. I was trying to buy him a bottle of wine and they refused me too, but I luckily had my ID. And it's so funny when the shop assistants really embarrassed. Yeah sorry, it's like, nah, I love it, thank you. It was quite interesting and I'm sure some of our New Zealand listeners can confirm. But apparently in New Zealand they're really strict with checking ID. So while you can buy alcohol in supermarkets, New Zealand supermarket chain Countdown confirmed that they tell their staff to ask anyone for ID that looks younger than thirty. Well that makes a bit more sense because I think bet Dudd could pass for thirty.
Speaker 2: Oh, definitely younger.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean in Australia you're usually told that you have to look over twenty five to be idd And while it's a win for Beck because she is forty, it's not as much of a big win as she may be thought.
Speaker 2: You're taking away of flexk. Look, she looks incredible.
Speaker 1: Well, I think that's all we've got time for today. We'll be back in your ears tomorrow for a subscriber episode and I'm very excited for this one. We're going to be taking you behind the scenes of the podcast world in Australia. We're going to be sharing some juicy details there. Yeah, I'm really looking forward to that one. And if you haven't yet subscribed to Outspoken Plus, we are going to leave a link in our show notes so you can subscribe on either Patreon or through Apple Podcast Now. This episode was recorded on the traditional land of the Ghana people of the Adelaide Planes. We pay respect to Elder's past and present. Now, if you did like the show, please leave us a review and don't forget to join in on all the conversations happening in our Facebook group, which has outspoken the podcast community, and please give us a follow on TikTok and Instagram. Our handle is outside Can Underscore The Underscore Podcast
Speaker 5: M