Speaker 1: This feels like brother job interview.
Speaker 2: Doesn't it tell me one thing you could improve about yourself?
Speaker 1: Many things.
Speaker 2: I was going to say, that'll be a long job interview.
Speaker 1: It's a long list a lot of things, mainly in the brain. So we're in the nice studios today, Yes, the ones that are have all our screens and our silly faces.
Speaker 2: I feel lost without the possom urine on the roof of your other studio.
Speaker 1: Actually, those studios are. I don't care if this is public. I don't know how long I'm there for. Those studios are on their way out, like not just they're literally going to be I'm pretty sure bulldozed.
Speaker 2: It reminds me of a haunted house, you know how it's really dark and you can't see anything. Yeah, but then if you did switch the lights on, it would be way worse than when it's dark. Yes, it reminds me of that.
Speaker 1: It gives me public toilet vibes, like there's just a there's just random puddles there. So I flew down here. It was one of the best flights I've had in such a long time. It was the sun was out, it was crisp blue skies, and I'm like watching the sun come over the cliffs, and I looked at and I thought of you, yes, and I thought, I thought about the right brothers, and I thought about it, just the miracle of his flight. And I sat there for a good twenty five minutes, and I tried so hard, but I couldn't give a I couldn't. I couldn't give a fuck about the miracle of flying.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: The only miracles I thought about on that flight was how they managed to charge nine dollars fifty for a muffin. And if I can also land after this flight, it'll be a miracle. If I don't get COVID, but you send me.
Speaker 2: The picture, I thought, that is so odd. I've never seen the engine from that perspective. I didn't actually know there were seats that far back down the plane. I thought that was just for catering.
Speaker 1: I was in Row five too, like barely just sort of edging.
Speaker 2: We can't.
Speaker 1: God, you're a holy tweety prick. You are officially a bit of a wing.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Those cheap flights, though, are something else right, Like I wouldn't know they well, okay, let me put this into perspective. There was a toddler sitting in front of me. Kudos, I get what. I now get what it's like to fly with a kid. Right, So, if your kid's crying on a flight, Paul wouldn't tell you this because he sends his kid way up the back with the maid. But I'm sort of sitting next to my own child. I don't know what. What do you feed your kid?
Speaker 2: Ah, I'd have to check with the maid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, the maid would probably cook up some sort of thing bra or something. This kid shut himself and judging by that, I'm pretty sure he had a level three beef indaloo.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Just off the topic of cars, Some of the things that come out of children are horrendous, so bad. The stuff that my daughter pumps out. I just think, what did you? Did you eat? Something that was like moldian a year older than it was meant to be, or.
Speaker 1: Something probably in your house, probably rosa the maid.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, mister Paul, I did not clean up the covers of this week.
Speaker 1: Please. Hey, we thought this would never happen. I thought this would never happen. After's so many episodes of shitting on Tesla's here we are doing a fully dedicated Tesla episode.
Speaker 2: Yes, now, This isn't going to be a Tesla wank fest at Tesla fanboy fest. We're just going to cover this because they recently announced that Model Why was going on sale, so we thought now is a good chance for us to talk about it and for everyn time understand a bit more about electric vehicles in general.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and one thing I have noticed is there is an obscene amount of interest in this car. In fact, it is arguably the most requested thing we get. It is tell us more about Tesla's people just have this friggin' appetite for it.
Speaker 2: And it's weird because Tesla famously hasn't spent a cent on advertising, so they do no marketing, none of that. So it means that all of this interest is organic and sprooped by their customers, which I find completely bizarre. There's not really any other companies that have that, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah, when I was getting the press car of this, it's they don't really even have a PR department.
Speaker 2: No, Well, they famously fired all of their PR people globally, so here in Australia, if we have a question, there's no one to talk to. No one will answer the question because no one works in PR so.
Speaker 1: I will say when I did pick this up, and you can go to your sort of Tesla showroom. They are incredibly nice there. They are pretty friendly and val answer. They're pretty knowledgeable on the product that they're selling and they're putting out there.
Speaker 2: And they also it's worth mentioning they don't care if you don't buy the car. They're actually just very happy for you to drive it. And it's weird. It's very different to a normal dealership where you rock up and they're like, oh god, it's a person. Yeah, it's like, I'm so sorry to inconvenience you, but I would like to drive the car, and like, okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's so true. I went into a Porscha dealership with a mate of mine the other days.
Speaker 2: It's a different story if you went into a Porsa dealership, but I wouldn't give you a car either. Did you finish?
Speaker 1: I'm going home. I've had enough, I've had a gut for anyway. I wasn't going to buy a Porsche, as much as i'd like to. My mate was was there, legit was. He's a drug dealer. He was willing to drop a whole heap of cash, and he was. He was that pissed off that he couldn't get served. I don't want to I don't want to push anyway stuff from so yeah, because like literally no one came up to him. He looked around, he sort of waived at people. Yeah, no one would serve him. So he's like, well, I'm not I'm not going to this dealership. They don't deserve my business.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think it's just a different way of doing things, and it's just a much better way of doing things in my opinion. If you buy the car, you buy the car. If you don't, you don't. If you crash it, it's insured, it's another sale. Like who cares? It just seems on to me that some car companies are so precious about this stuff.
Speaker 1: So the Model Y launched.
Speaker 2: Well, let's explain what the model is. It's basically an suv version of the Model three sedan.
Speaker 1: Effectively sure so slightly larger in every sort of capacity yep, what about power outputs? Very much the same, right.
Speaker 2: Well, it mirrors the Model three. So the downside to that is that it's slower because it weighs more than the Model three. So you've got a whole lot more, more panels, more room. It just means more weight, so it is still okay compared to some SUVs in this segment. So the entry level rewel drive is about two tons, which is on the heavy side in comparison to a standard suv, but for an electric suv it's not that bad. An equivalent Model three is about eighteen hundred kilos. But then when it comes to the power and the motors, it's effectively the same. So the entry level is a reweel drive. Yes, then while it's not available now, it will become available. They do a long range version, which is all will do motor, and then they do the performance version, which is dual motor and all out. And in terms of performance, the entry level zero to one hundred and six point nine seconds, so not fast, not slow, re will drive only midspec is about five seconds for the long range, and then the performance is under four second zero to one hundred. It's crazy, it is good.
Speaker 1: It's good numbers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're great numbers. But my opinion on this is when they announced that they were coming to Australia. So the background here is that in November last year I got to check out three of the homologation cars that they had was that here in Melbourne. So we were told, you can't talk about this until they go on sale, and we thought it was going to be a week or two. We then got a call the next week and they said, oh, you can't talk about this now until they go on sale, which won't be this year, and I'm like okay. So we thought it was maybe Jan or fib So we got around to jenneal Feb. Nothing was happening, and basically they went on sale the other day. They were spotted by someone on the Hume Freeway a truckload of them going to Melbourne. And this is what makes Tesla so nimbly in a startup nature. They're ready to just do things quickly. The cars arrived at the dock, they got on truck and went to Melbourne. Two days after they went to Melbourne they went on sale. And then three days after that I had one and the car that I had was on that truck and had been driven for fifty days to calibrate the autopilot system and was ready to go. If that was any other car company, they'd be sitting around talking about you know what I'm going to get them register we're going to do these forms, and.
Speaker 1: There would be many a meeting about pr and all right, which avenues do we go down for this? There'd be a lot of piss fighting round.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, so the fact that they were able to hit the market running so quickly was great. So they launched with a starting price of under seventy thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: Which is a good price. By the way, it is just missed.
Speaker 2: The rebate for Victoria and New South Wales but.
Speaker 1: The EV rebate EV rebate right, But.
Speaker 2: In New South Wales it's still the entry level still falls in under the stamp duty rebate, which means if you buy one, you won't have to pay stamp duty when it arrives. Then four days later the price went up by three grand globally for Model three and model Model Y, which then flowed on to Australia. They are honoring the people that bought theirs and paid less and this is how many they sold. Right, So in the first few minutes of it opening, so I got the email about it being opened and I bought the car within the first few months.
Speaker 1: She did you knew this was coming. I've been sitting on the so long name iy, no, with your little I.
Speaker 2: Knew it was coming, I just didn't know when. So when the email arrived, I literally went straight to the Tesla website and I had to wait for my wife to reply that she was okay. I was buying it. The second she did, I hit purchase. You pay a three hundred and fifty dollars deposit check with.
Speaker 1: The maid that she's head to drive an ev too.
Speaker 2: Hello, mister Bullen, I half change, okay. So basically it went on sale on I think it was the Thursday. By the end of that day, the delivery estimate went from August to November to to February. By the end of the weekend it went feb to May. And now you're waiting about a year for this car. Just based on those initial sales, and based on my estimates, that's about between six and ten thousand orders that were placed over two days, and that's likely to keep growing as fuel prices go up.
Speaker 1: So basically, if you got in early, you got yourself something pretty special. You got an early delivery, which is let's say August yep, right, this is say day one to day two pretty much August, and you didn't have to worry about the three thousand dollars increase.
Speaker 2: And you get to be like, Paul, that's.
Speaker 1: Not that's not a plus, that's not a pig. I can see your fashion slightly changed a little bit.
Speaker 2: By the way, don't be jealous.
Speaker 1: That's what is that.
Speaker 2: It's a sweater.
Speaker 1: Yeah I know that, but yeah, we really it doesn't have the it doesn't have the signature ten pockets from rivers anyway.
Speaker 2: But yeah, So I think there's been a huge amount of interest in the car, and I think that's reflective of the market. You look at fuel prices at the moment, even though the government reduced the fuel excise, comically the petrol companies like, oh, I'll just pop that twenty cents straight back on there. So I think that's a little bit crazy. And just this is a very quick side topic. I don't know that the government thought about it all that much because truck drivers who used to claim part of that fuel excise as an offset now are getting fifty percent less and at the moment when transport is at record highs in terms of cost, and truck drivers now who you typically tend to use a lot of diesel and now claiming fifty percent less that offset the cost of everything is going to go up because deliveries are more expensive. Truck drivers are going to lose their jobs. So while it might help you spend ten dollars less on a tank of fuel or something, it is decimating the transport industry. And it obviously hasn't even helped with fuel because it's it's as expensive as it was before they chopped it. Anyway, you know what.
Speaker 1: I hate about this studio as opposed to my radio studios, is I don't have when you get boring, I don't have the music to fade up.
Speaker 2: Trust me.
Speaker 1: We would be about five minutes into Bloody You're the Voice by John Farnival's I'm.
Speaker 2: That good song?
Speaker 1: O is it?
Speaker 2: I'd appreciate being faded to fun.
Speaker 1: It's an interesting one. It's an interesting climate that we're in because electricity prices are kind of going. I don't know what it's like in Melbourne, but I know in Sydney there was a lot of energy providers going, well, we're just gonna shut down. We're just gonna if people are like stop, can you people stop?
Speaker 2: We're in a weird place.
Speaker 1: We're in a very weird place, and especially with I think a lot of people are now realizing, especially with Tesla, that the infrastructure that they've got set up is far superior than say, charge Fox. I didn't realize this, but is do charge Fox have advertising on their or are they have? They got some sort of affiliation with NRMA.
Speaker 2: I think NRAMA invests in them, right, I don't think they do any advertising. I know what you think of. There is a mob that have launched that he's doing advertising on their charges. A bit silly because it's not like a petrol station where you have to stand there while you're filling the car for three or four minutes with an EV. You plug it in and go sit back in the car. You don't stand there watching the screen while stuff's happening.
Speaker 1: So I've just seen a lot of in RMA screens on these charge Fox oh yes situations, and I'm like the way it's set up at the moment, Like we know they're famously going through issues with upkeeping all that sort of stuff. I'm like, God, if I was an RMA, I wouldn't want to be associated with that. I wouldn't want my brand all over something that's just not sitting there. Yeah, like a piece of shit not working.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look, I think that that Tesla has that advantage. Unfortunately for Tesla customers that they're looking to open their network up to other brands at a premium, So more money for Tesla, but more inconvenience for Tesla owners because now when you rock up to a supercharger. So last night in the model why I drove down to Geelong where they have what's called a V three supercharger. It's the fastest one they do. I want to test it out see how it went. And when I got there were two other Teslas and I think it has availability for six, so three of us in total. You can just imagine that if all of a sudden this opens up to the public and you rock up to charge a Tesla on their proprietary setup, that you're going to have to sit there and wait for someone with the Henda Kona to leave. And the problem as well with some of these other Brandshona you have to like disinfect the spot and stuff.
Speaker 1: God.
Speaker 2: But the problem is that a lot of these other evs charge at a much slower rate. So it's not that you're going to have to wait for them to finish charging. You're gonna have to wait for them to finish charging at a much slower rate, so they might be there for an hour and a half potentially. So I think that while that's an advantage of the moment, it will eventually become less of an advantage for Tesla owners.
Speaker 1: When that situation goes down. Do you just kick back in your car and watch like your own YouTube videos and pull your pants down?
Speaker 2: I generally watch those while I'm driving.
Speaker 1: It's it's an interesting situation. So we know the pricing's gone up, we know the waight time's gone up. Now there's an autopilot option that general when you buy these, it's like a ten grand package, which I looked at that myself. Ande was like, nah, I just I don't know. Something weird about a car driving itself at this point in time. I'm like, no, thank you.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, it kind of doesn't even drive itself either. And this is the funny thing. I was watching some of the people who were ordering these, and they were talking about how they've optioned it with the full self drive. It's called the full self driving package ironically even though it doesn't. And I was thinking to myself, to these people not know anything about basic maps, because if you add that on to the price of the car before you buy it, you're pushing the recommended retail price of the car up by ten grand, which means you're going to pay more tax and potentially more luxury car tax depending on how expensive the car is. So it seems like an odd thing. So if you do, if you are listening to this and you are planning on buying that full self driving thing, because it's a software update. All of the cars come with the hardware for it, it's just a software update, do it after you've bought the car, because then all you pay is ten thousand dollars instead of ten thousand plus luxury car tax plus stamp duty plus bluff plus plus. So you're better off just waiting until you've purchased the car. But what they've now done they announce this shortly after this went on sale, that they're splitting that package up. So ten thousand dollars used to get you navigation on autopilot, which means you can put in a destination and it will navigate automatically to that destination without you having to intervene. Auto lane change, which is where you just touch the indicator will change lanes on its own, Auto Park Summon which is where the car comes out of the parks, where the car comes out of the park using the app, and then Smart Summon, which you can use in a car park for the car to drive itself to you while you're not near it. And then the other two were traffic light and stop signal control, so it would look at traffic lights and come to a stop if it was red. So they've now split it up so that you have a five thousand dollars option which is called Enhanced Autopilot, and that includes navigation on autopilot, auto lane change, Auto parks, Summon, and Smart Summon.
Speaker 1: That is a more Yeah, that's most of what you kind of yeah going to get if you pay the ten grand anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a much more realistic price to pay because a lot of other manufacturers like Polstarbile charge roughly that for some of those features, and to me, stuff like auto sorry, auto park and Summoner are kind of useful. But keep in mind that every Tesla actually comes with autopilot, so you don't have to pay extra for it, So it's like a patch exactly. So let's talk about the actual car. The model WI. So I picked you up from the airport today.
Speaker 1: Can I just backtrack for a second. Is there the autopilot, say in Australia. Is that different from say the autopilot in America.
Speaker 2: Yes. So in the States they have what's called FSD beta, so full self driving beta. This is where it will basically drive on city streets on its own.
Speaker 1: The only reason I know that is because on porn Harb there's people with this set while they're having a root in the backseat, and that to me was like, I'll have a Tesla.
Speaker 2: Yes, Now all you need to do is find someone to have.
Speaker 1: A root with it exactly. Unfortunately your maid was too busy.
Speaker 2: But yeah, this full self driving. The reason I'm not a fan of it is you look at the videos on YouTube of some of the stuff that goes wrong, and Tesla has famously moved away from radars and lighter so it is just a camera out everything. And there are instances where the car will suddenly swerve towards a concrete pillar or oncoming traffic where the driver has to intervene and I'm like, what the fuck is this?
Speaker 1: It's like the car's gone. I can't do this anymore. You can't do I can't do that. You've got like Paul's playlist on Spotify, You've saved all these freaking videos. I can't I'm just going to drive myself into a wall and burn to death.
Speaker 2: But that's the thing. They this type of stuff is what car companies tested, a proving ground with engineers who know what to do when it all goes wrong. When you put it in the hands of public who are told you have to have your hands on the wheel. Most of them don't in these videos, and it's only a matter of time until something something happens and we're all sort of screwed.
Speaker 1: So as an engineer, does that really get on your own nerves? She'd got in the hands of the public as an engineer watching fellow and is designed this marvel of a car.
Speaker 2: Tee where it annoys me. I don't care if they do it and they hurt themselves, couldn't care less. It's if I'm on the road and the thing swerves towards me while I'm just driving. That's where I've got a problem with it. Sure, yeah, but that's that's it. So what were your first impressions when I picked you up? In the model. Why I'd rather get a cab that was technically your free cab.
Speaker 1: Yeah. One thing I will say is, and I noticed these comments coming through when you were when you were sort of showcasing it to the world on your socials. She's a thick girl, isn't she. I mean, if Lizo was a car. You don't know who. Yes, I'm going to show your.
Speaker 2: Photo male or female. Jesus Christ is amazing.
Speaker 1: You don't know who? Do you listen to? Do you consume music? Listen to the Beach Boys? The Beach Boys are anything and smooth. M Okay, okay, this is Lizzo. She's okay, hang on one second.
Speaker 2: I'm so sorry if you've fallen asleep by this point. Gordon's trying to use a phone.
Speaker 1: Just give you a bit of time to crack your jokes. Okay, this is Lizzo.
Speaker 2: Oh, I see.
Speaker 1: Paul's got an erection.
Speaker 2: Okay, interesting?
Speaker 1: Yeah, interesting, obviously she's just showing you the trunk there. Yes, and then that is the fronk for sure? Is that is a feature that the Tesla doesn't have that it's called the.
Speaker 2: Wow. Okay, so I see what you mean, and look I I personally, styling is subjective, but I personally don't like the look of it. But yourself, But to me, it's one of those things where I don't really care. Once I'm inside, I can't see it, so it doesn't bother me too much. But no, I don't love the styling of it. But practically it's excellent. Like when you you have a look at this compared to the EV six of the ON five, when I open the boot in this, it is huge and it's got heaps of underfloor storage. It has storage at the front. When you're inside, it's got a flat floor. There is heaps of room. In the second row, there's heaps of headroom. It looks silly, but it's practical in the way that it's designed. So to me, that was what's important for us in terms of more room, more height, et cetera. So from that point of view, I like it, but I understand that styling wise, it may not appeal to everybody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, look, I'm totally agreed. Like the outside just looks I think frumpy was a great way to describe it. It does kind of look like a chubby Model three, yes, but on the inside it's fantastic. Like everything's great from the seating, the the interior in these, which we're going to talk about this with the with the Model three as well, but it is it's minimalist. There's like this, yeah. Yes, the general opinion when driving one of these is it's very much not driving a car. You're driving a computer. You're driving a laptop. Yeah, I reckon, And it's it's such a minimalist car and it's in every single way possible.
Speaker 2: Well, there are two buttons, yeah, literally steering well and then the two steeringweel buttons, and they act as different things. So you know in a normal car, how you have a volume control and it just does a volume with this. When you're driving, you've got volume and cruise control and voice control depending on how you press them. But then if you want to change your steering position or mirrors, when you go into the menu, the steering wheel controls, actors controls for those things depending on what you've selected. So the thing that I think it desperately misses out on is a head up display. And I know that Tesla's like, oh, it doesn't need it. It's like, well, you actually do, especially in Victoria where you'll get done for doing a kilometer an hour over the speed limit. The speed I was so tiny and in the top corner of the screen. Even stuff like the blind spot camera when you put it on your hand is in the way of the camera, so when you look down you can't even see the camera until you move your hands. So it's stuff like that where they're trying to be too cool for school, and it would all just be fixed with a display ahead of the driver or a head up display like Kerer or Yen Day users that I think that it really would need to benefit from, because at the moment it's it just is clumsy in some of the things that it does.
Speaker 1: I think at least to that center screen could at least be somewhat customizable, like if you want the if you want the speedo for instance, to be larger, you should be able to It shouldn't be too hard to make something like that. Keep it in the same spot if you want, but just make the font bigger or something like that.
Speaker 2: What they've done they recently updated that whole display to be completely different to what it is today, sorry to what it was prior to their update. What they've done is they've focused more on the driver display that shows all the other cars around you and all the autopilot functions. Great down the track when everything is driving on its own, but at the moment they've sacrificed the speedo size that shrunk, they've sacrificed the map size that shrunk as well, all to make that section bigger.
Speaker 1: And it's just it's useless.
Speaker 2: It is it is used. It's like, oh, there's a connext to me. I can see there's a current in front of me as well, like I have eyes. So it is a fairly pointless function if you're just driving ninety percent of the time. So yeah, I think there needs to be a bit of work done to that functionality for it to actually be usable, because it is very distracting at the moment while you're driving. If you want to try and change radio station or even change the climate controls, you have to be so precise with where you click. Yeah. Yeah, it's just really not good.
Speaker 1: I think that was my big ripe was the interior was minimalis but it was almost too far and to the point where I mean you do get used to things like the basics of changing climate control or whatever. I hated the maps at the start, I was like, I don't like these maps. I use Google Maps a lot, and driving in Sydney's traffic, I've got no idea where I live after seven years. But you know you were telling me when we jumped in this morning. It is Google Maps. It's just kind of a different interface, but it's a shit interface. It's just it's like the weird thing is when you've got the tech to kind of when you've got a screen like where it's got the vehicle visualization, it looks it's an okay map, but I think it could be way better.
Speaker 2: So with the map as well, I'll typically use it just on navigation the whole time, so I'll put in my destination because it will route you around things. So the other day when I was driving to Geelong to test out that charger, there was a heap of traffic on the freeway and it took me off down some back roads and I got to avoid all the stationary traffic. So from that front, it's great. It sort of does all that. That stuff's not free either, so if you buy one today, there's a subscription fee for the online services. So if you want to stream video like Netflix or YouTube, have Spotify and also have the traffic on the maps and the satellite overlays. You have to pay ten bucks a month.
Speaker 1: Really, yeah, so for instance, I've already got say Spotify, Amazon all that, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're charging you for the data. So really it's it sounds like they're charging you for the services, but all the services are free. In theory, it's just the data they charge you for ten dolls and other covers the amount of data you could potentially stream through Netflix. So they work on a law of averages. If you sat there and stream Netflix for a month straight, you would it well and truly exceed the ten dollars a month they've done. But as a law of average is over a year, for the two or three times you'll use Netflix, there's enough money there to cover your data use. So you've got to think that there's twenty thousand of these cars in Australia, there's a million globally that have been sold just in the last year. If they all have a data sim inside them and Tesla's paying for that, the ten bucks a month is now offsetting that cost.
Speaker 1: So it's basically like if you've got Apple Car Plane, Android Auto in your car, you're running it off your phone effectively because you're mirroring your phone. Yeah, you're paying for it anyway in a way, So still frustrating.
Speaker 2: Well, how did you go with the Model three? Which spec did you drive?
Speaker 1: Ah? The speck was the base Model three.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that basically matches up with the Model y. I think the Model why price wise is like five grand more or something like that for all the extra space you get. So yeah, what did you think of the Model three?
Speaker 1: Look, I've been shitting on this car for a long time and I've sat in it many times before, and I'd never driven it.
Speaker 2: And I've loved it.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I loved it. Yeah, Paul was, Yeah, he loved it. Yes, Yes, do you know, I will say, on the sort of scale of I guess cars, you might, let's say you've got internal combustion cars at one end and you've got sort of this EV sort of scale of one end. Tesla needs to be at the very end because it is very much its own entity. It's very much like iPhone v Android.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, I think you're right. A lot of other car brands that do evs, they try and do it differently for the sake of being different, and I just don't know that it has the same effect. Although I think BMW is doing a good job, I don't I think the way that they integrate EV in some of their cars. I just drove the I four and I think that feels and drives like a four series, and the interior looks just like any other BMUBA So that kind of thing's not too bad. But yeah, I think that, Yeah, they are sort of polar opposites.
Speaker 1: I think the key is that they're making evs from the ground up. They're not doing what did you call it the other day, compliance cars, h compliance ev right, compliance evs. These are dedicated platforms to an EV and it makes a lot of a difference.
Speaker 2: Because let me explain why they do compliance evs, especially in Europe. So Tesla has just finished building Gigaberlin, which is their factory in Europe in Germany, and that was almost entirely paid for by another car company. So that may sound ridiculous, but in Europe, if your overall fleet of cars averages are higher emission than the whatever the limit is that European commissioners set, you have to pay penalties to car companies that have exceeded the requirement. Because Tesla only makes evs, they naturally exceed the requirement easily. Yes, so another car company has basically paid all this money in fines to Tesla, and Tesla used that money to build a new factory. Wow. So that's why they're rushing out to make these compliance evs. They may not be good, but it means they can sell a car that's an EV that brings their average down. They pay less in fines.
Speaker 1: It's political correct, shock correct.
Speaker 2: I want to talk about the Model why though about the things I didn't like In addition to that infotainment stuff.
Speaker 1: I just want to quickly backtrack. For instance, a few things I did love about the Model three was which I think a lot of like cars in general should be taking on. There's a lot of things I didn't like, but the few things that I loved was things like they're essentially making the key obsolete. Yes, and like it's a card at the very least it's generally off your phone or just like you carry your phone everywhere you are, or your wallet or whatever, so the card can stick in your wallet, the phones in your pocket. Anyway, you just need to really be around the car to drive the thing. You know, you don't need to push anything, you don't need to do anything. You literally just need to sit in it and go. It's incredibly well thought out. It sort of blows my mind that especially EVS, even a proximity sensing key generally doesn't open up your car properly, like it'll unlock it. But I mean, for instance, with my sting, I don't know why, but it'll open. It'll unlock the car, but unless you've got to push the button on the thing to properly open it.
Speaker 2: But that's a good point with the phone app because for me, when we owned down Model three, I didn't even have the card. I don't know, it just sat in the thing at home. But with the app, I can give access to people to drive the car, even if they don't have a Tesla. So I can send you access to drive my car and then all you do is just take your phone to the car and it will unlock and start and do everything that it needs to do, and then you can track the car. You can send destinations to it through the app as well. The app is probably one of the best features of the car in general.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's so many things, even just that the cameras around it. I hadn't noticed before, but if somebody comes close to you in say a parking lot, it'll automatically start filming, So before it hits you, it pretty much knows who's going to do that. Somebody scratches your car, it's going to like record that. At very least at the very foundations of this car. It is easily the most intelligent, well thought out and articulated car out there, and there is a lot of car manufacturers that should be taking on board not only features, but the whole ethos of this car. The thing that I guess I didn't like is in general, there's just such an inane kind of design.
Speaker 2: It's just generic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's so it's so very eye robot And even if you shell out for the performance one, you kind of wanted to look performance. You want it to look cooler, and they just don't have that. There are, especially in the US, a lot of companies that will do custom stuff just for the Tesla's but you kind of wanted to just look I just wish they looked cooler.
Speaker 2: Yeah you know what I mean. Yeah, on stuff I didn't like with the Model Y, the ride is horrendous I read a whole bunch of European reviews because it's been out there for a little while now, and I thought it can't be that bad far out. The car that we had was a base model. It had the optional twenty inch OI wheel. It comes downard with nineteen's. The ride was so firm that I kind of liken it to my scale of car firmness is like Mercedes bends at one end, which is a little too soft, to BMWM product at the other end. And this was like that's a track car. Yeah, this was like a bmw X three am. It was so unnecessarily firm. And the end result of that is you have a family suv. If you've got a baby in there, you fear hitting a pothole because you'll eject them out of the roof like it is. It is just shocking. So and that's partly due to forty four PSI on the tires. They have to run a high pressure for efficiency. It now runs Michelin Pilot Sport EV tires on the twenty inch wheel, which tire well, no, they've got foam inside and they also have stiffer sidewalls, again for efficiency. So all of that results in a very firm ride. The trade off there is that it handles great, so when we drive it at the proven ground, it handled incredibly well for a big suv, but I just think it's way too firm for a family suv. So the one I've bought, and just in case you don't know, i've bought one, the one I bought was a base model with the nineteens because I need a little bit of comfort. Our Model three was also too firm, and I didn't want to go down the path of the performance because it has twenty one incha loo whels, which would even worse. So Tesla really needs an adaptive damping package. So with BMWs, generally you can fix the ride by ticking the adaptive damping or air suspension option and then that smooths it out when it is in comfort, whereas the Tesla things just firm all the time. That's what you come with, and I recommend if you have bought one, please take it for a test drive. The test drives are available now. Actually you drive it before it gets delivered, because this might be enough for people to actually just cancel their order and go do something else, because it may just become tiring enough that you don't want to have to live with that ride.
Speaker 1: Did you get a chance to drive it before you bought it? No Ah, So you bought it and then you drove it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's the thing. I'll probably still keep it anyway, just based on the nineteen should be better. So we'll see how that goes, hoping.
Speaker 1: For the best. How did you expect this car?
Speaker 2: It was just it was just the base one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know. But like, did you go with the car.
Speaker 2: And the color that we have outside, which is midnight something?
Speaker 1: Yeah, metallic, so that's the color. I would have chosen that or black, but I would have gone the black wheels.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well that's the thing. The black wheels are the only ones you can get on that on the twenties. So, which is a little bit frustrated, And.
Speaker 1: You don't you don't like the wine interior because you had it on your original model.
Speaker 2: I do, but my wife didn't want it because if we have a kid and shouldn't want to get dirty, So we'll stick with it.
Speaker 1: See that was my thing too, I said, if we're going with this, I said, the white interior is going to look shit, And she really wanted it. And I was like, Wow, apparently it's pretty easy.
Speaker 2: To clean that because they're vegan old things vegans.
Speaker 1: Like, vegan is such a bullshit word. I know, it's such a bull crab word.
Speaker 2: It's's just vinyl.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just vinyl. It's just some crappy material that hopefully will last a long time.
Speaker 2: So let's talk about just a couple of other quick tesla topics here, yes, sort of, before we wrap up. We wrote a story about this hotel that's basically it's a Queensland startup and it lets hotel guests borrow a tesla for thirty dollars an hour, calling it just an amenity that you can use as part of the hotel startups called outbound. What do you think about that? It's a hotel on the Gold Coast, thirty bucks an hour is pretty reasonable, I reckon. Do you think that more hotels should be adopting this type of thing?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's a great idea. I think it's a very good idea. This is a this isn't actually too new, especially to Queensland, because I know that I'm pretty sure there's a deal going with that. What's that bloody Steve Irwin reptile, the Australian Reptile Australia Zoo. Right, I'm pretty sure that they've got a fleet of evs that will take you from your hotel. They're pretty much charged to go from say the park back to the hotel. So I don't think it's that unique. It certainly is with a Tesla, I guess. I think it's a good idea. Why not. I mean, and it's good for tesla too, because there's a lot of people that will go. I've always wanted one, but I have never driven one. And it's also like a it's a chance to hire a car and also have a test drive as well.
Speaker 2: It's also good for apartment buildings. I mean, if you had a communal car there that you could hire per hour. It's a car that is in the garage that you just book in and take away with you.
Speaker 1: I think it's also suit me with the hotels that I get because I usually rent them for an hour, and then if I can rent the car for an hour as well, and Paul's made for an hour, it works out pretty good.
Speaker 2: This was very generous.
Speaker 1: Yeah, clearly I'm a bit of a slow coach.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but yeah, I think. I think it's a good idea. So the more of that, the more of that, the better I reckon. And one thing that I wanted to touch on as well that isn't really Tesla, but I think is a valid valid point. Toyota is currently clashing with its shareholders about a slow EV rollout and they're doing some sort of North Korean style stuff here where I think it was a Danish superannuation fund who invests in Toyota. They basically criticized them at an investor presentation and said, hey, what's going on with the EV rollout? And Toyota got back to them and said, I'm so sorry. The closing time for questions was yesterday, but it was written nowhere that that's when you had to hand your questions invite. Toyota is interesting though, so they were kind of the they.
Speaker 1: Were kind of or get your dribble bit or something.
Speaker 2: They were kind of the starters of the electric game with hybrid right with press and stuff like this. So they've been in EV's for a while now, but they haven't really been doing full lev's are being very hesitant with that that they're big on hydrogen as well. There argument about not going full ev IS because some parts around the world won't be ready and may never be ready for ev So if you think about some third world countries where the powers out every ten seconds, they use camp stoves as ovens and all that sort of stuff, you're not going to have enough power to you just.
Speaker 1: You know, look, I'm gonna have to cook with a camb oven and you know, I live in a pretty appalling sort of shanty town. But jeez, the new Toyota land Cruiser looks good.
Speaker 2: At least it's on an TV. Yeah, but yeah, I think there's there are still some places around the world where EV's may not work and may not ever work. And I think Toyota is thinking about it from from a way of Okay, if we can reduce the economies of scale on cheaper engines and perhaps have hybrids as well that bridge the gap, then why not. But it shareholders don't seem to agree with that, So what are your thoughts?
Speaker 1: Look, I don't know, I don't really care at this point. I think that they clearly no stuff that we don't. You know, they're making business decisions, higher scale business decisions that they've probably got a good point. There's probably a lot of countries that an EV wouldn't work in. I mean, Australia is moving so quickly and our infrastructure is so slow. At one point, you know, six months ago, the general consensus was we're not really that ready for evs either, So probably yeah. I mean I can't exactly see myself going on holiday to Vietnam and going around in a bloody Tesla or something like that, So you know, I think I think they're probably right. I think there's some countries that are good sort of twenty years at least.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know, it's it is an interesting one. So well, Yeah, I hope you enjoyed our Tesla Special.
Speaker 1: I certainly did not.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, if you have any questions, contact at the Drive Show dot com dot I use send us your questions. Let us know what you want to know about. You know, you want to know more about Tesla's, more evs, anything you want to know less about West Tesla's less EV's. Contact at the Drive Show dot com today year as.
Speaker 1: Weeks and here's an email that's coming through. Let's Paul, please, you know, wh while we're talking about Toyota, I kind of I kind of zoned out and I was thinking Toyota Supra the the Newness and Z.
Speaker 2: Who that would be good. Yeah. Big price difference though, because the Z is now going to be cheaper, much cheaper than the Super, so I think globally that's going to put a lot of pressure on Toyota in terms of super pricing, which will be interesting.
Speaker 1: Have you touched the Z yet?
Speaker 2: No, not yet.
Speaker 1: I've seen video footage of it and it sounds unreal.
Speaker 2: It looks good as well.
Speaker 1: It sounds so good, looks great. Just trying to like you get out okay, yeah, look, I'm just going through some of the messages that we're getting. It's generally more episodes. Please, hey, Felers, love the podcast, wondering if you have a chance to get your hands on the audi RS three for a review. Also in the next twelve months, I will be definitely buying a new Arranger Wrapped as Paul. I think it's a beast. Please let me know if you have any more car news, any more news in car journalism land about a rumor of AH the Ranger Raptor being updated by is it herod Performance?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I haven't heard that, but that sounds cool. I know fucking English.
Speaker 1: This is what happens. He gets a little drunk and does cocaine before each show.
Speaker 2: Yes, but anyway, I know him and he does some amazing stuff. What they did with the aspect was really awesome. So I think he's very well qualified to be doing some work on these So.
Speaker 1: I give you, I give you a bit of shit about sleeping with Jennifer Kied. Someone said no, she's moved to Channel ten. Now, wow, that says a lot. She obviously heard Paul's like, now signed to Channel seven. She's like, I cannot deal with this secret dicking anymore. I'm moving channels. She's always been a Peter hitching a guy. So I'm just going through these messages. The general consensus too, A lot of people are saying more apps, more often.
Speaker 2: So okay, got plenty of time to just do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, we're doing the best way. To be honest, I reckon it will eventually. I think it'll eventually get there. Yes, eventually.
Speaker 2: Please make sure you send us an email or messages on.
Speaker 1: Social yes, like subscribe, share ratings, tell everyone that would be great. Good, Okay,