Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud yor the Order Kerni Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money. She's on the Money.
Speaker 4: Hello and welcome to She's on the Money podcast that makes personal finance fun, especially on Fridays. It is our favorite day of the week because we got a new studio and that's really exciting, but also because we get our team together in a more relaxed couch environment now, which is very exciting to celebrate you how incredible She's on the Money community. Miss Jess Ricci is here on her couch and she's going to be sharing her best money wins from the community. Miss Becksayed is also here and she has a number of broke tips for us, and this week we're going to be helping to answer a juicy money dilemma. It's not that juicy, but it's going to be really interesting this week. It's all about what it means when you get an activity statement from the ato juicy juicy. I was like, okay, so maybe I'm just excited to explain this one, and other people will just be like, yeah, what do I do when I get an activity statement? And something that is lead into our dms about potentially more juicy, whether you should stay in a job where the culture is of overworking and whether that's the norm or not.
Speaker 2: I don't like it already. Yeah, I don't like it already.
Speaker 4: Like and we're not even slackers that she's on the money, but like overworking canceled.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, there's definitely somewhere between overworking and being slack.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a whole lot of middle ground. There's a whole lot of middle week cover a lot.
Speaker 4: But before we get there, guys, how were your weeks?
Speaker 2: Yes, you go first, Mimmy's been good. I'm so excited to be here in our new.
Speaker 4: Studio, So I feel like we have leveled up. Yeah, it is so so fun. We have a new home and on socials you see it'll look beautiful.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 4: Our videos are going to go to the next level, like that's my week here, basically because we just thought you guys deserve better content.
Speaker 2: The couches are company, the cookes crispy. We are so ready, Beck, how's your week being really good? I'm also really happy about this new studio. I know that people won't be able to see, but you'll hear it in our voice. You can just hear how excited we are. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but it's been a gorgeous week, just full of love, light and laughter.
Speaker 2: I love that. Yes, I'm doing a little bit of live laugh, lovy.
Speaker 4: I am getting prepared for Harvey's first birthday, which is so exciting. I have finished, thankfully, my golf cart and there are photos online. I will definitely be sharing that, don't you worry, because it's like my pride and joy.
Speaker 2: It great.
Speaker 4: I completely hyper fixated on it and was like googling every single person who's ever done a diy reno on one of these things, watching their tips and tricks and how they Anyway, I'm very excited about that, and I can at the end of the day. Yes, I did spend more on paint than I did on the actual cozy coop. That's a bit like it's the thought that counts. Also, why spray paint so expensive?
Speaker 2: It is actually really expended.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I did end up doing a little bit of a budget hack there. I bought the expensive primer and the expensive top coat, and then I.
Speaker 2: Got cheap color. Yes much.
Speaker 4: I feel like that was a good middle ground because I didn't realize spray paint twenty bucks A can eat twenty bucks a can the two dollar shop.
Speaker 2: Oh can the hairspray? I know, a colored hairspray. I didn't use colored hairspray.
Speaker 4: It was genuine paint that I'm aware of, But I mean it could technically become colored hairspray. Yeah, that's true. Let's move on from that though. Would you guys like to hear a five star review that we received this week?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Please, absolutely, We've been so lucky.
Speaker 4: There have been a few of them pop up recently, and I'm not gonna lie every time I read them. My heart is just so happy. This one is from SLP and they say I can't say enough how grateful I am to have come across this podcast As someone who grew up with a mum who lived paycheck to paycheck and wasn't financially smart. I always believed that would be my narrative too, and I couldn't thrive financially. This podcast has got me excited about my family's finances and made me believe that I can thrive financially and change the narrative for my own kids. I always thought investing was a rich man's game, but Victoria has given me the confidence through this podcast to dive right in.
Speaker 2: It's been life change. That's cool in the entire world. That's amazing. I was trying to think of, like what FLP would stand for she loves podcasts. That You're like, she loves podcasts. I'm like, yes, so that's Sarah Lee Parkinson.
Speaker 5: That so much Sarah Jessica Parker, the Sarah park I know Jay is not the same, but in my brain they look exactly the same.
Speaker 2: It's like the automatic kids. Parker was writing in.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I feel like I'm really excited about this and I feel like our five star reviews they just like set the tone of the week.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's such a good finisher.
Speaker 4: But my other favorite thing is our money Wins and Confessions thread in our Facebook group, and every single week, Miss just Greci gives us a rap of some of either her favorites or the most popular ones. Suggess, what have you round up for us this week?
Speaker 2: All right? This week we're starting with a solid but simple one from Katie. She said she sold her old fridge on Facebook Marketplace when they thought no one was going to buy it. Oh duh, that's a good money win just listening. Never not, because then you don't have to take it anywhere yourself, is what I I was talking to my dad about Facebook Marketplace the other day because he had a whole heap of old tools that he's like, honestly, I want to give them away.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I don't want to give them away because people on Facebook Marketplace as savages. So he listed them for like twenty dollars and then just gave them away when the people arrived.
Speaker 2: And I just can't be bothered, like, don't worry. But like, also it was because I didn't want people who just wanted free stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's a great idea little strategy, very clever. Someone's day Yeah. Next, I've got a money win from Lynn, who said she set up an automatic savings debit about a year ago. She checked it today and she's got just over fifteen grand. Sorry what, Linda? She was in shock. She was in shock because she didn't miss it. I think so. I think she must have just so good set and forget she wouldn't notice debiting away. And then she had a little squiz and was like, oh my goodness, I am yeah, well done. I'm so happy when people find things that just work for them. Yeah. Next, I've got money in from Nadine, who said I made five dollars thirty seven on shot back by playing the games after listening to Friday's episode. Thanks back. Oh my god. Yeah, I'm so proud of you. Now I've got one from Devani, who said money in. I've switched two fortnightly repayments from monthly repayments to save myself interests along the way smart. And then Desley got in the comments and said, go to weekly it'll be even better. She will be go to daily. Alli, imagine how often can you do that? I wonder if there's a limit, So I'm like, how frequently you can make those transfers. Yeah. I also like, where does your mental health come into play?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, how do you live your life? The limit does not exist, just as like anything for free points like colutely. Next, I've got money in from India who said I sent my first invoice for my small side business and also asked for our higher fee for the next booking with the same client after I realized how much prep and post time went into the first job.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Good, yes, queen, I love that, and.
Speaker 4: It's good to like reflect and be like, okay, we need to change this. Like in business, you are always changing, you are never staying stagnant all the same.
Speaker 2: Especially in the early days, where like she said, she's figuring out how much time and effort goes into things, even just like invoicing, like how long's that taking you? That needs to be taken into consideration one hundred percent. And then lastly, I've got a money win from Tay this week who said, we've been collecting the ten cent cans and models. I've asked my mom to save hers. My fiance brings them home from his employees, and we have been accumulating them so quickly and putting all the money aside for our daughter. That is actually so good.
Speaker 4: My niece and nephew collect them as well, and now they have a separate bin. So they've got like recycling, they've got their rubbish and like their green waist, but then they have a separate bin and it's just for cans and things.
Speaker 2: It's so smart.
Speaker 4: Yeah, even if it's just like an old box in the laundry or something that way, you don't have to sort them.
Speaker 2: I feel like it's a great way to be teaching kids about money. I feel a really good way to it.
Speaker 4: Like I feel like we need to create and like I'm putting the pressure on myself here by publicly sharing this, but I have been thinking for ages about creating like a savings plan for kids. So you know on our website how we have the gold Tracker, Yes, like that, but it's like smaller amounts that kids can do that you can achieve with like collecting bottles.
Speaker 2: And cans doing money, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 4: And I feel like kids just need to learn about money earlier, and it's not about how much they get, it's about what they're doing with it and how they feel about it.
Speaker 2: It's like a little bit of work ethic in their tree with the cans because they've got to save them up and then yell with them and being like, I think that's quite clever.
Speaker 4: And then it teaches them how to budget, like you know, what are you saving for? Like let's talk to them about goal setting, and like what's the difference between short term and long term goals? Like you know, if you wait a little longer, you'll get something a little bit better. I think that's a good lesson to learn, especially early on. Definitely leave it with me. I've got plans. Now over to you, miss beccis is your turn to share your three broke tips to bring me to the table, So as always have two from the community, one for myself. This first one comes from Vanessa, who I feel like we've mentioned something similar to this before, but I just thought i'd give it a go anyway. But she said that if you are looking for bits and pieces for your car, and I'm a big fan of these, a car pick apart were you go into the junk yard yourself and you find what you need, you grab it. I've gotten like little fuses and stuff out of like a fuse boxer. It probably doesn't make a lot of sense to maybe just speaking foreign language.
Speaker 2: Even like mirrors off cars excited me to take me there because I have a broken part on my What do you have? Well let me tell you? Oh god please, I still own my first car that I bought, yes, because I can't part with it, like and just to like reverse a little bit.
Speaker 4: I'm very grateful that I can still afford to keep it. But if I sold it, I maybe would get maximum fifteen hundred dollars, Like.
Speaker 2: It's still the money, still a lot of money, but like it's not like I'm I've got like a thirty thousand dollars car sitting in the driveway. Don't want people thinking that.
Speaker 4: But there's also like this deep emotional attachment that I have, even my little Mercedes. So it's a Mercedes, she's really old. Yeah, clearly cheap, but there's so many things on it that are broken. But how do you know that that's going to work for all cars? Like do you have to get the same model? Well, that's the thing, VD is that all you have to do is Google. Like if you have like a my one's quite generic. I just have a toilet, so like a lot of things can fit on it. But if you even just take photos. You can google your making model a year and what kind of mirror you need if you go through these like junk yards with you know, the scrap parts and stuff, so you try and find a model of car that you'd be surprised to see, Like there were so many in there that like, it doesn't have to be the same year necessarily.
Speaker 2: So many of my car in a junk yard. Now, yeah, and it doesn't have to be the same year.
Speaker 5: A lot of a lot of the time, like a lot of the you know, like even tires and stuff, they have like different measurements and if you just look for roughly the same car and take photos of your car, you can google it as well.
Speaker 2: You are so resourceful.
Speaker 5: I'm always Yes, it also called so in Melbourne it's called pick up Heart.
Speaker 2: I was thinking pick apart, yes, and mix like.
Speaker 5: The yeah and oh my god, for like people like me, it is like a lollly shop and it's like, oh, I'm so excited. But even like the thing is, even if you bring home a tire that doesn't fit, you're like, well, now I know exactly what I'm looking for when I go back.
Speaker 2: It is this measurement by this measurement. It's very cheap.
Speaker 5: I got fuses, I got mirrors, even got like little like those. I can't remember the name of the terminology, but the little lock thing if you open up your car, you look in.
Speaker 2: The side on the little lockstick. I can't remember what they called. But I like that you're looking at us so as though we might you guys know what I'm doing.
Speaker 5: But I got mostly all of it for free. I feel like it's quite small. They're just like, oh, just take it, like fuse mirrors, and instead of going in to a mechanic, who will it is a lot of labor. I mean, it can be a lot of labor, so I understand. But yeah, just do that and google how to fix it yourself. So I think it's a great broke tip. The other one comes from a friend who went on a date recently and the date took her to this little like pizza shop like a hole in the wall, and there was a deal that was like two large pieces and a drink and something like that for X amount of money, and the date and her went and sat and ate these pizzas. The date only ate her pizza and then took a whole pizza home with the drink. And so my broke tip for this week is to.
Speaker 2: What try finish the broad tip? And I'm so sorry.
Speaker 5: My break tip this week of my friend's broad tip, I should say, is first of all, pretend you're not hungry, and second of all, only eat the date other dates food. Third of all, try and find a place that will do a deal. That way, you get to go home with a whole lass meal and a whole family size drink.
Speaker 2: Absolutely definitely not a second date a date. There's no second date, right that we never know, like this friend, how did they feel?
Speaker 5: Well, it's honestly, I think the majority majority, being just me, was kind of impressed.
Speaker 2: I respect that. I kind of respect it. Would I be going on another day with you? Probably not?
Speaker 5: That is just you get level a good story to tell, and so I feel like experience chi ching and free pizza chi ching.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, all right, that's a really beautiful broke tip. Thank you. Yeah, that's stunning.
Speaker 4: And mine, oh yep, and your Yes, I'm hoping yours is better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I don't think it is.
Speaker 5: And in fact, maybe it's worse than everything you've ever heard before. But I don't know, if this is bad or not, but I when I drive right now, I've been like kind of broke. I well, what am I talking about right now? Don't feel like I'm always kind of broke, but I have noticed, and I don't know.
Speaker 2: If it's okay, Paul.
Speaker 5: I don't know if this is like bad for my car or not, but I've noticed that when this is only for manual drivers, when I'm driving, it doesn't matter what speed I'm doing if I can safely be in fifth gear without my car stalling. I'm talking like over fifty meters an hour, and people tend to be on the freeway before they put their car in fifth gear. I know this also doesn't really make a lot of sense.
Speaker 2: You guys don't really know right now strictly an auto girl, that's.
Speaker 5: So fair for my manual drivers being fifth gear, unless it's like you're about to stall in fifth gear because your engine is not working as hard, and you will say, Pederal, it's my broke tip. Your broke tip is staying fifth gear. If you can't thing to add to that, because I.
Speaker 2: Don't even know what my caear does. No, I feel like it's bad my car. It's so embarrassing. Absolutely aimately, no idea. I'm embarrassed because they brought some things that I feel.
Speaker 4: Yes, because my sister got to learn in a manual so she can drive a manual and I immediately like, there are rules in life that are just like they're rules, Like no one said that it was a real rule, but it exists, right, Like how the number twenty five that's a pointing number. Yes it is, Yeah, I would agree with you, and twenty six round exactly.
Speaker 2: Like I don't make the rules to a rule.
Speaker 4: Another rule people who drive manual immediately cooler.
Speaker 2: No manualism. Manual car is a big part of my personal law. I don't know what is it true? Oh, we're gonna suggest the law. So my parents insisted that I learned to drive in a manual car because my mom said, like, what if there's an emergency in the only car available, asm manual car, what are you going to do? Die?
Speaker 4: Well, my dad used to say, like, what are you going to do if you don't learn your times tables? You're not always going to have a calculator in your pocket.
Speaker 2: I sit down, Eric. So I started to learn to drive a manual car. I hated it. I didn't like it. I was not very good at it. And then one day we were driving. We took a long road trip and we drove over train tracks and I stalled and the boom gates started coming down, and I started to have a panic attack, because I'm a normal person would and at the time my anxiety was also undiagnosed, so like I's like it was like curtains for me. I was like, this is it I die by train in this moment. Anyway, obviously we were fine. Mum got the car going, we got off the tracks, it was all good. But I literally pulled over to the side of the road. I got out of the car and I looked at dead in the eye and I said, over my dead body, we'll like ever drive a manual car ever again. Wow, I haven't touched one since. Wow. Is jess law is?
Speaker 6: Yea?
Speaker 2: And that actually kind of gave me fifth year. Don't know her, like I don't know, I don't Wow. I'm so sorry. An emergency, we're running there, Yeah, get on my back. I'll piggyback you to the hospital, like whatever, run away from the running to death in an emergency. I will admit my face the thought of driving on your car just triggers my anxiety. Something shocking. Now I understand, I understand.
Speaker 5: I thought you're also going to say that like manual drivers, it's like the whole identity like people people drink espresso's just.
Speaker 2: Look everybody else, manual drivers are cooler, like they're just cooler, like they they've just got their lives together. I can't do that. I am not one of you. I could see Alex now that you say.
Speaker 4: Exactly, Sister, Alex is just much cooler than I ever will be. And it's been the way, like that's been the way of the world forever. Jimmy, you will literally say, oh, I see what you were talking both of us. I remember saying to Jess before she met my sister. I was like, my sister is much cooler than I'll ever be. And she's like yeah, sure, sure sure, And then after she's like, yeah, you're right.
Speaker 5: You know, when you don't want someone to meet someone because you're like they're you're going to think they're funnier than.
Speaker 2: Cool, Like I like having a cool sister. That's good. It's way better than going, oh my sister's weird. Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 4: It's like when you're watching maths, like, I would be mortified if my suit maybe she does introduces me as like oh yeah, my sister's controversial, or my sister's.
Speaker 5: It's got melancholic music playing in the captions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like I don't want people to say, oh, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I wonder what you would be on maps.
Speaker 2: All right, let's go to a really quick rate because on the flip side, we're going to be talking about activity statements, very excited. What are you going to do when you get one from the ato? Are you going to call She's on the Money, That's what you're going to call.
Speaker 4: And we're also going to be talking about something you slip into our DMS about this week, we're talking about whether you should stay in a job with a culture that overworking is the norm. So guys, don't go anywhere.
Speaker 2: Welcome back, everybody. Let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 4: Hi, there, have you got a money dilemma you just can't solve that. She's on the Money team is here to help. Every week we tackle your dilemmas, both big and small, to answer your most burning money, career and life questions. To get involved simply head to our website and leave us a short voice recording, and you might just find yourself on the show. Now, let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 6: Hi, she's on the money. I've just received an activity statement through the ATO. I've never had this before. I'm assuming it's because my bank interest was quite high on my last tax return, which left me owing a fair bit more tax than had been estimated throughout the year. Because I've never had this before, I'm not really sure what it is. I assume it's just to kind of give the ATO tax throughout the year rather than having a larger balance at the end of the year. But all the information I can find about online is more so directed at soul traders, which doesn't apply to me. There wasn't really a lot of information shared, just an activity statement saying I owed X amount of money by the end of the month. I was just wondering if you could sort of explain what this is and maybe provide some information. Thanks.
Speaker 2: I thought it was a business thing. I didn't know it wasn't a business thing. So there you go. Highlighting something today too, because I get activity statements and a business activity statement are two different things, oh, which is exciting, and they are used to kind of report and pay like a number of different tax obligations, but then also business obligations. And what would have happened is if you're an individual, like if she's a business, like same kind of applies, but usually a BA or a business activity statement or a BAS or whatever you want to call it. It's a statement that you get and some companies pay them quarterly, some pay them monthly, like for example, she's on the money pays their business activity statement, Like I pay tax every single month, and that to me is actually a relief because I'm like, okay, cool, what tax do I owe? I feel like I'm on top of it, Like it's kind of like a little check in every month I'm doing financials anyway, it's just like I feel like my house is really clean. And I didn't like this is just me personally, but I didn't like when I was paying basses quarterly because I felt like it was a really big chunk of money, Like I want to just get rid of it, like if it's not my money and it's in my bank account, actually want to get rid of it sooner rather than later. Because like it's sitting there and watching it going like like what's going on. Anyway, you as an individual may get an activity statement if in the last year your payable tax was actually more than what your employer deducted. So it's actually to protect you. And the same is for like the ATO isn't doing bass because they're like, oh, we don't trust that you won't pay your tax. It's so that you don't get a rude surprise at tax time. And what might have happened, and it might be all of the things she suggested, but more probable is just that there was a discrepancy between what your employer said you were going to have to pay in tax and what they deducted and paid on your behalf, and then you got a big tax bill. It's to actually stop that happening in the future because there must be a reason why. So the way tax is calculated, and to be clear, I am not an accountant, so you might need to or you should talk to your accountant. But the way tax is calculated is on an average, right, So if you had a month where you earned heaps of money and you are employed, your employer would deduct a heap more but then the next month, what if you didn't work or you went on unpaid leave. Then when the ATO looks at your annual income, they spread that out over all of the months and then go, oh, well, you know if in one month, you know, let's pretend you had a taxable income of thirty percent, which is the most normal in Australia, but one month you like made bank and you jumped up a marginal tax bracket for that month and your employer withheld more tax. Then later down the track, when the ATO is doing your tax return, they're like, oh, you didn't actually earn more than one hundred and eighty grand yess like, you actually earned less, but we taxed you at that amount because that's what you did that month, So we're actually going to give you a refund. The opposite could be true, and it could just be out of sync and they're just protecting you. And that's what an activity statement would do. It's so that you check in more regularly and you're not going to get a route.
Speaker 5: So is it possible that the employer, say, for example, they're paying you one hundred dollars a week and they're like, we're putting thirty dollars a week to sent out a tax but they only sent like fifteen dollars, but they said that they're sending thirty.
Speaker 2: Is that sometimes a situation like is that why?
Speaker 4: Maybe yeah, they should not be doing that, but is that possibly what?
Speaker 2: It's not going to have the same ramifications.
Speaker 4: It's business not paying tax, not using like yeah, that's a whole difference. Okay, But it's very important to make sure that your employer is paying their attack and your super and all of that, which is why we need to read our.
Speaker 2: Pay slips and understand our pay slips. And I think that there's actually going to be an episode coming up of me just breaking down a pay slip. I know that that's really basic for some people, but for lots of you might be like I don't actually know what these things mean, or like why does it say this many hours here? I felt like I had it, Like we're just.
Speaker 4: Going to go through, line by line all the things that could be possibly on your pay slip, and I think that'll be a really good superful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's very cool.
Speaker 5: Also, if the in cases person you know, accepts their fate and it's like, well I gotta pay this, you can pay by installments.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can always just call the ATO up and have a chat with them and even ask them, hey, what was the specific reason I got an active statement? And they might be able to open your file and have a chat with you about it. More often than not, it's literally just because that discrepancy exists. I know she was like, Oh, it might have been because of this or that. It could literally be because you're a good investor. And like, let's say you were a really great investor and you had a heap of shares that performed really well, so therefore you went up a tax bracket. But your employer they don't know your personal business or what you're investing in. So you've only paid X amount of tax, but at tax time you owe a little bit more.
Speaker 4: Sure, it's a good problem to have, Like paying more tax. As much as it hurts and it's not fun, it's a good problem to have, and paying it more regularly means that you're not going to get stune come June thirty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, should be into the juicy store. Are you ready? Guys?
Speaker 4: All right, I have a DM for you high queens. I'm currently doing a job that's draining me. Imagine a consulting job where you were paid for thirty seven and a half hours, but end up working fifty hours a week to make sure the job is done. No one forces you to, but everyone does it and expects you to do it. I'm currently in the process of applying for permanent residency. Exciting, and I can do so thanks to one year working as a consultant.
Speaker 2: Although I love my team and currently have.
Speaker 4: Financial security, my mental health has never been so low. I have zero work life balance and almost no time for hobbies. When the weekend comes, I'm so tired, I just stay home. Question is, would you quit and prioritize mental health, although it would make it harder for you to find another job as a not yet permanent resident, what would you do?
Speaker 5: I really am so strongly against this culture of like it's expected that you stay back and you work late and you work extra hours.
Speaker 2: It is so bad. It's gross and where did it come from and why is it there? Why does it exist?
Speaker 5: Because if you're paying me for these amount of hours, and you're doing your job that in those hours, if you're severely overworked and you must work over time, that's the problem with the company. It's not a problem with you, it's a problem the company not actually hiring enough people to keep up with all the workless you never ever ever falln any person to ever have to pick up. So I don't like it, and I think you need to get the hell out of there. But did this person mention how long they have left until the one year? Okay, well if you're I feel like, if you're close enough, maybe stick it out and just like just honestly, like, just deal with it for now. The feeling of like, oh, everyone kind of hates me because I'm not doing more hours, because honestly, they're the ones who will eventually be like deeply, deeply sad about the fact that they wasted so much of their free time, not spending time with their family, not spending their time with their friends, not going out and seeing the sun. Isn't it crazy that we don't see the sun for most of the week. I don't like it. You must leave. This is not a normal way to live your life. We should not be working more hours than we expected you every now and then, of course, but at the same time, every now and then, leave early. Just don't tell anyone whatever. So it all comes out in the wash. If it's like I remember one time my friend her boss said, the only criticism I have is that you never work late.
Speaker 2: What do you mean? What is that? Like? What is why?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Exactly?
Speaker 5: Do mean?
Speaker 2: I do my job? Exactly? Do you mean I'm efficient? I do my job? And why why should anyone be expected to work late? It's it's so bad. You see our team at work late. There's literally nothing going on except espresso martinis and totally Thursdays totally, and I regret nothing for that decision totally.
Speaker 5: It's like some people think that, like I'm shocked that you want to go and live your life outside of these.
Speaker 4: And it's up to the managers as well to be enforcing that. Yeah, obviously that's I would assume being driven by management, but like it's also up to management to nip that in the butt and make sure that your team have a good work life balance, because otherwise you're going to burn them out. Like at the end of the day, literally a terrible business decision, you're going to see higher turnover, less engagement. Like and you know what, I used to work as a culture and engagement consultant and businesses see fifty percent higher shareholder reten when you have engaged employees.
Speaker 5: Yes, exactly right, I'm sorry for you. The only other thing I was going to say was that because it's thirty seven point five hours, I'm assuming that means that you're not getting paid for your breaks, which also means you're still in the area. You're probably still in the office when you're taking your break. So you're giving them x amount of time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fifty hours of a week at least. Yeah, not for your employer. It's ridiculous.
Speaker 5: So like, Okay, you're not paying me for this amount of time. So that's the extra time. That's the extra time when I'm still not at home. I'm still not seeing my friends, I'm still seeing my family, it's not doing things that I like to do.
Speaker 2: So there's the extra time you have it. You're not paying me for my breaks.
Speaker 5: Don't do any even a nano second later than what you.
Speaker 2: Have to get out of there, leave asap. What are you doing? I think like there is you have to acknowledge that there is unfortunately a really strong culture of this, particularly incorporate Like I can think of two jobs that I've had specifically that had very money. No, no, no, but very much had the same culture. And similarly, I had a manager talk to me once about the fact that I always left right on time, and I was like, sorry, like what anyway, what I don't think it's right. I completely agree. Maybe it's a reflection of you manager. Yeah, like it shouldn't be the norm at all. But I think the risk adverse part of me says that you should stick it out until your permanent residency comes through because I know that there are a lot of hoops to jump through. I know someone through someone that's recently had like they left their workplace. They're having to leave the country because like they couldn't get a job like Jerry. I just think you've put in so much time already, and knowing that it can be difficult to find companies that are willing to sponsor or willing to do whatever, it adds the layer of complication and stress that would do you know what I mean, Like you've kind of be trading one kind of stress for another. I don't know how far you have left to go until you hit your residency. I personally would make the decision to stick it out until it was secured, and then I'd be booking it out of there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm the same, And in most situations i'd say absolutely not, like you are not going to stay in this job that you know is depleting you. But there's obviously a bigger picture in mind.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: First, never quit a job before having another job, especially when you're in a risky situation. But then the second one is, let's embrace this concept of quiet quitting.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely, Yeah's just.
Speaker 4: Start enforcing the fact that, oh, I have to leave early.
Speaker 2: You can lie like I'm going to let you lie.
Speaker 4: Yes, say that you've got appointment, Say you've taken up a hobby after work. Sorry, on Thursdays, I have to leave it five.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 5: And also start taking your sick days because they don't get paid out. Start taking them now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and sick days.
Speaker 4: I think lots of people just go, I need to take a sick day because I have a really bad lou when I'm in bed. Your sick days cover your mental health, Like if you need to go, all right, well, I'm actually going to take a sick day today because I just need the space mentally, because I cannot return to the office on Monday without having an extra day this weekend.
Speaker 2: That is a sick day to me, and your doctor can give you a certificate to cover that.
Speaker 4: If that's quiet, Check your contract, like, this is me maybe not being a good Employees aren't going to like me, but I don't care.
Speaker 2: Check your contract.
Speaker 4: How often are they going to be asking for six certificates? Like obviously if they're going to ask, And this is not me saying abuse the policy, but sometimes companies are like, oh, any sick days need a six certificate. Some companies will say, oh, six certificates are required if you have more than three days off, so just know that as well, just so that you've got a little bit of flexibility, but using your sick days, asking for some more accommodations. Can you work from home? Can you do some stuff around that? Also just going oh sorry, I don't have the capacity for that, Like you can also just stand your ground a little bit more and it's quite hard to do, but saying oh, thanks so much for that work you've just allocated me. Beck, You know there's so much on my plate right now that you know with this additional thing, I'm not going to be able to do all of that this week. What ones did you want me to prioritize and just like starting to slowly push back and be like, oh, actually that's not feasible because I think in those cultures you just get a yes mentality.
Speaker 2: You go, oh, yep, no worries, Oh yep, no worries. But when are we pushing back? When are we saying, oh, actually, like which ones did you want me to prioritize because like there's actually not enough capacity, Yeah, you should have hired someone else. Totally, I will say, mentally prepare yourself. It goes one of two way with cultures like this. Either everyone resents it and you might find that when you start pushing back, other people start pushing back, or you might find that people are a little bit unkind about it. Yeah, so would say just be mentally prepared. That so true because yeah, if I think back to the job that I had where it was very much the norm, you know, when I wasn't willing to participate in those types of things. I was like, no, I'm not coming out to afterwork drinks because I don't really like you guys, and you can like the jive spent enough time working and whatever you know or whatever. It was like the reception was not like the nicest and like that's not your thought's reflective of them, not you, one hundred percent. It is, but it's just something I wanted to say because I think, like, if you're already not in a great space mentally facing, like additional adversity might make you feel a little bit shittier. But that's as exactly as you said, that's not on you, one hundred percent. Do we want to talk about what the community had to say still it? Yes, all right, So we asked the community what would you do if you were in this situation. Twelve percent of you said quit and prioritize mental health, twenty six percent said stay and set boundaries, thirty five percent said stick it out but start job hunting, and twenty seven percent said write it out until you get pr then reassess. It's quite a split.
Speaker 4: It is a split, but I feel like the split is really across like being a little bit more conservative than like quitting and focusing on mental health, which, as we all know, like that's a privileged to do in itself, Like not many people are in a position where you can.
Speaker 2: Go, oh, just quit my job.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like I'm sorry, Like I wish that we were, And that's why we have emergency funds and stuff totally.
Speaker 2: We're going to build towards that.
Speaker 4: But I would say ninety nine percent of people can't just quit and prioritize their mental health. We have to have some strategies at play.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Next question we asked was, have you ever worked in a place where overworking was part of the culture.
Speaker 2: Surely it's like ninety nine percent of Yeah, sure, No, it's actually eighty one. Eighty one percent of people said yep, I definitely have. Isn't that so sad? So gross? I know thirteen percent of you said no, I haven't worked anywhere like that. You lucky ducks. Lucky. And six percent of you said I'm in that situation right now. Oh no, get out. Yeah. Then we said to the community, give us you two cents. First person said, this.
Speaker 4: Is two PARTA too PARTA trust me unless you have another PR pathway see an immigration lawyer.
Speaker 2: Wait until you have that visa.
Speaker 4: Enjoy your freedom once you can also enjoy the security of the PR.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Fair, True, it's true.
Speaker 4: Next person said, participating in free labor is what normalized?
Speaker 2: Does it stop immediately? True? Easier said than done.
Speaker 4: I know, I wish it wasn't, but it is. Next person said that was me. I quit and found another job. PR has taken longer, but it was worth my mental health.
Speaker 2: That's great to know that it's worked for someone. Yeah, but also I like that you found someone else that supported it as well. Yes.
Speaker 4: Next person said, experiencing work life balance post burnout is wholeheartedly the best thing.
Speaker 2: Ever. Another person said, as for me, I'm starting an online course and doing job hunting while I continue working there, So trying to upscale while they're looking for something different. That's a good idea.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 4: Another person said, the extra hours aren't worth it. There is no benefit for yourself, only for that company IG exactly. And then I'm just going to give you one more and it was her. I studied, I got a new job. It was so scary, but now couldn't be happier.
Speaker 2: Great light of the end of the tunnel so much and I feel like that's a really great place to leave it. Guys. What a week, What a new studio, what a vibe. I love it.
Speaker 4: We just sound better sitting on these couches. Yeah, I love it here all right, guys. I hope you have a really beautiful weekend and we will see you bright and early on Monday morning for our Money Diary till then bye bye bye. The advice shared on She's on the Money is generally nature and does.
Speaker 2: Not consider your individual circumstances.
Speaker 4: She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision.
Speaker 2: If you do choose to buy a financial product.
Speaker 4: Read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial advice.
Speaker 2: Tailored towards your needs. Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of money sirper P T y L t D A b N three two one six four nine two seven seven zero eight a F s L four five one two eight nine