Speaker 1: Get a pete here before you start today's episode. Just a quick trigger warning. There are conversations based on the film about racism, sexual violence, and rape, so if those things are triggering for you, may be best to.
Speaker 2: Skip this episode. Goodday.
Speaker 1: This is Peter Hellier, Welcome to you Ain't Seen Nothing Yet? In the Movie podcast, where our chat to a movie lover about a classic or beloved movie they haven't quite got around to watching until now. And today's guests comedian Extraordinary and bloody great mate Rove McManus.
Speaker 2: The first rule of fake Club is you do not talk about fake.
Speaker 3: Club now always your friend up. You broke my heart.
Speaker 4: I admire your luck.
Speaker 2: Mister Bond James Bond having a right now?
Speaker 5: Have you An't Seen Nothing year?
Speaker 1: Much like the movie we are about to discuss today, Rove McManus barely needs and introduction. Anyone familiar with me and my history would be well aware of the impact Robe has had on my career and so many careers around Australia, bringing me along for the ride. Back in nineteen ninety nine, Rove caught the nation's attention, or at least insomniac uni students, with his late night self titled series Rove on Channel nine. We had a lot of fun on that show, ten whole episodes at eleven thirty at night, but sadly Channel nine didn't renew the series. But luckily we found a home on Channel ten, where Rove Live was born and we had a bloody wonderful decade there.
Speaker 2: At Channel ten, Roe became an instant sensation.
Speaker 1: A late night talk show that catapult Robe into the Australian showbized stratosphere.
Speaker 2: A hat trick of gold logis anyone.
Speaker 1: Rove to this day has been one of the most generous hosts I've ever worked with. There were times when something would happen in the studio and we would share a look, come half knowing we had the same thought, and Rob always gave me right of way.
Speaker 2: I cannot stress how rare that is in a TV host. Personally, Rove is.
Speaker 1: Incredibly loyal, forever curious, acutely observant and I'm bloody stoked to be hanging with one of my best mates. Quite literally, he was in my wedding party today.
Speaker 6: Hello, my name is Rope McManus and my three favorite films are It's a Wonderful Life.
Speaker 2: You're at the moon. Just say the word and I'll draw a pull down.
Speaker 6: The Wizard of Oz give me that much spot And because I can't say, the Princess Bride finding Nemo.
Speaker 2: Sharks the machine.
Speaker 6: But until this week I had not seen the seminal classic Gone with the Wind.
Speaker 1: The most profitable film of all time still, Gone with the Wind is considered possibly the greatest epic ever made, released in nineteen thirty nine, possibly the greatest movie year ever.
Speaker 2: Apologies to nineteen ninety nine.
Speaker 1: Upon release, they couldn't print in technical fast enough to get reels into cinemas.
Speaker 2: People wanted the wat's Gone with the Wind.
Speaker 1: This four hour movie over and over and over again, based on Margaret Mitchell's nineteen thirty six novel. It was nominated for thirteen Oscars and one eight of them, including a historical nod for Haddie McDaniel, the first African American to win an oscar.
Speaker 2: The daughter of a plantation owner in.
Speaker 1: The Deep South, Scarlett O'Hara, played by Vivian Lee in a role that jags her her.
Speaker 2: First of two Oscars. The second was for street car name.
Speaker 1: Desiah attempts to navigate a civil war the burning of her precious Atlanta, a shit run of marriages, leaving her widowed as she waits for the.
Speaker 2: Love of her life, Ashley to come to his senses.
Speaker 1: But it's the Roguis blockade running womanizer rat Butler who longs or at least demands Scarlet's heart.
Speaker 2: A much loved yet problematic movie.
Speaker 1: Gone with the Wind is undoubtedly one of the most ambitious movies ever made. McManus, Have you ever drunk cologne to cover up your boozing?
Speaker 2: More than you would think?
Speaker 6: I mean, how good is retz Nos Because he's like, I can smell boats. I know you have drunk literal cologne. Yeah, but I can still smell the whiskey on.
Speaker 1: Your breath and for a memory you're always a jupeman where you always cover up whiskey with the boot.
Speaker 6: Now I just use Links Africa as a restaurant, so that's great. It's really it's on the go. You can get those pocket travel sized ones.
Speaker 7: Very handy, very handy.
Speaker 1: It was a while ago, obviously, I you one of the early people I courted for this podcast, and you said Gone with the Wind. At what point did you regret it, if any, if any point, did you regret it look.
Speaker 6: It seems now that I'm such a good person. I knew my entire life that this was probably not a film that I needed to see, that it had problems, it would not date well. But there before the furor where the world kind of woke up to some of the problems that have sat in a lot of our media and film and television stories in literature over the years, this was the film that I knew when you had this idea was the one that I would leap on.
Speaker 2: And I couldn't do this podcast without doing Gone with the Wind.
Speaker 1: I hadn't seen it either, so I was I was actually really excited when you nominated it, and then it felt like a little bit like something that was just hanging over I think both of us sometimes we're speaking are we ready to do it?
Speaker 8: Yet?
Speaker 1: We wanted to be in the same room doing it, which obviously with borders has been hard to do. But when we finally when you said, you said, I'm in town for the Melbourne International Comedy Festival is at time, and I was like, it took a deep breath.
Speaker 2: I go, yeah, let's do it.
Speaker 6: And we were on the phone at the time and we both looked up where we could watch it and saw the running time of four hours and you could hear the collector of sigh over the phone as we both had all right, because this is this is probably part of it. I remembered distinctly back when there were video shops and my sister was over staying with me in Melbourne and we had we had a civic video that was just at the end of the street, and we went down to pick a movie to watch that night, and she had not seen Gone with the Wind either, so this would have been, you know, early mid nineties, and we went in and we saw it on the shelf and it was.
Speaker 2: Two Boxers Pete.
Speaker 6: It was and a weird like you know, later later in life they would release like double box like you get two VHS tapes and they were stacked one on top of each other like a big plastic sandwich. This one that for some reason they packaged it side by side so it was wide. It was double bide like an open book, so they could get the big beautiful wide screens that are poster on the on the packaging.
Speaker 7: And we just looked at it and just went that feels like a commitment.
Speaker 2: It's two tapes.
Speaker 7: Who's ever done two tapes.
Speaker 2: This is what matter of Maverick call is this must go for two and a half hours. Don't have enough time left on the two tapes.
Speaker 7: So, and I think that's probably been ever since then.
Speaker 6: I've always known this is a long film, even by film standards, and nowadays, if you can see anything that's that's two hours, let alone under thank goodness. So I think that's always been one of those things. I've never really felt the pull to watch it. I get that it's a classic I you know, you know the lines. I think the fact that whether we can probably bring it up now, I don't know of any other film in history where what it's most known for is the ending.
Speaker 7: It's like the most famous spoiler in history.
Speaker 6: As you're watching this film, you're like, I know how this ends, as far as I am left to believe, I know what the fire final line of this movie is, which says to me, this is this is where it's going to end.
Speaker 2: So did you know that that line came basically right at the end. I didn't know.
Speaker 6: The very very final line of the film, but the classic Rep Butler two scarlet, I don't give a damn Yes, Yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, it's interesting. There's so much to chat about about Gone with the Wind. Obviously, there's a whole bunch, and we'll try to cover we won't be able to cover everything, but we'll cover some of the problems, but also some of the things that are great about this film. And I'm busting to know what you thought of it. Let's talk about your three favorite films. If I was a guest, I had in my mind I was I think Wizard of Oz would be in there. Yes, I did have Princess Bride in there, yes, And I thought the other one may be and I kind of I thought maybe not, because Princess Bride might be like your your comedy that you go for.
Speaker 2: I thought planes, trains and automobiles in mind.
Speaker 6: So, look, this is the problem. Like to go a top five, I think is easier than a top three. Top three, like first two are pretty easy. Like you've got your top favorite that's safe to say, and then you've got your one that's your emotional comfort that you like to wrap around yourself. One of those ones. At any time it's on, you'll happily watch it. Like for Wizard of Oz, one of the first ones. I was like I can't wait to show that to my daughter type of thing. And then you start to go, well, what's number three when there's usually a bit of a tussle in that spot? And I did, I did think about it hard, and I was like, yeah, like Planes, Trains and Automobiles is a funny film. Like just the performances from from Steve Martin and John Candy are just amazing, so many wonderful lines that I still quote today, Like you are if you are.
Speaker 7: Telling one of these stories of yours, just have a point to it.
Speaker 6: The very first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie was floats around there and as you are and bring up on the show, it's because it's like that was the first VHS I had.
Speaker 7: We watched it incessantly, so I know it word for words.
Speaker 1: I still remember the feeling I have when Narnie Carmel gave me Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles as a Christmas gift.
Speaker 7: Oh, as you know, Raphael very famously said to Casey Jones, cricket, no one understands cricket. You got to know what a crumpet is to understand cricket.
Speaker 2: That's great. Would have been the first Turtles.
Speaker 4: I know, but.
Speaker 6: I felt it would be remiss of me not to have some kind of animated film on this. I love animation. Have you know Disney Pixar, I love every dream Works. There's just so many wonderful films and if to narrow it down, it would have to be something from the Pixar family. Toy Story three is almost a perfect film for me. However, I feel there's something in it about I might be wrong, but I feel you kind of have to know.
Speaker 7: One and two a little bit.
Speaker 6: To put a sequel in there is very difficult, even though as a film, I think it's just perfection.
Speaker 7: So I think one of those ones just to go.
Speaker 6: And I would happily watch this and recommend it to anyone's finding Nema And it's a beautiful film and for what they were trying to do visually at the time as well, you forget how an entire film set underwater and how they get the different tones from when they're in open ocean to the harbor in Sydney. The cast is incredible, it's yeah, it'll it's a brilliant and beautiful yeah, and the script is amazing.
Speaker 1: Craig Maze and I mentioned this podcast occasion if you're interested in screenwriting. Script Notes is an amazing podcast to listen to, and Craig Mason does basically he wrote more recently Chernobyl, but prior to that was writing Hangover movies and the scary movies, the parody movies. And he does this like episode where he just gives a talk that he gives when he goes to universities about how basically how to write a screenplay, and he uses finding Nemo as as an example of how good that is to find all the pressure points to put on on Marvin and and to make make those odds insurmountable against like it's not it's not enough that his kid's missing. He's got the backstory. And then and he's got this injured he's basically disabled. He's got this injured foot. But it's it's like they don't stop it, like, oh, this is this is tricky. This is gonna be a tricky thing, that this is going to be impossible for Marlon, and it is it is.
Speaker 6: And also because as as a parent, like he is justified in his concerns, like his son does get into trouble and at the very very end when he's like, Nemo's like, you know, let me fix this, and he's like, no, you can't do this. And he's like, look, look at what's happened. You've got stolen and taken to the other side of the world and I had to come find you. But then also the redemption story that Marvin gets from him being such a overprotective father in going to rescue his son out of pure love. His child out of pure love then goes on this incredible journey that shows how brave he is as well. And just the learning that they have and together is one of those things that even as a parent, I know that the time will come when I will have to let my Nemo swim on her own as well, And it's a very beautiful thought for a parent to have.
Speaker 1: Is that great line from Dory is it if nothing ever happens, nothing will happen something like that. Maybe that was a cut scene that I just gravitated towards, but she's just saying nothing's gonna happen.
Speaker 2: It's a beautiful sentiment.
Speaker 1: If you're allowed nothing to happen, if you adventure not to happen, sure, then nothing's going to happen. And then what's the point of that. It is a great one to happen. One we haven't discussed from memory. It's a wonderful life. We discussed with Broden Kelly, and I mean the impact this has had on cinema, you know the Simpsons of he covered it parody.
Speaker 6: Look, yeah, that was It was late in life that I saw that one and then just deep dived into the world of Jimmy Stewart, who is I would say, is my favorite actor, Like just the way he can go from beautiful, heartfelt pieces like this or amazing tour de force roles like mister Smith goes to Washington.
Speaker 2: You know, he's great in.
Speaker 6: Comedy like Harvey He's playing alongside an giant invisible rabbit, and then kind of went into thriller stuff, doing a lot of stuff with Hitchcock, and then it became a Wild West star in his later years. Like he's just so versatile as an actor and just so effortless to watch and in this film and him and Donna Read together are just so beautiful and charismatic.
Speaker 2: And another one of those ones that.
Speaker 6: Similar to Gone with the Wind, I knew so much about it beforehand. It's one of those ones it's an American staple, and I guess living in Australia, we weren't. We didn't really get it every year like the Americans do as a Christmas special that's put on TV all the time.
Speaker 2: But i'd seen it.
Speaker 6: I want to say, it's in Gremlins. There's a it's in the background of a couple of scenes where you know it's the shot of Jimmy running down the street and yelling and waving to everybody, and then watching it. It's such a beautiful sentiment about someone who foregoes everything that his dreams so he thinks in his own life to help other people around him. And how as an individual you don't realize how many lives you touch in your day to day with what you do in the ripple effect, that every good deed you do has to those around you, and then and so on and so on, So that if you were to find yourself in your deepest, darkest hour thing thinking what's the point and what's the point of me?
Speaker 7: And what's the point of going on?
Speaker 6: To think about all those people that if you had never existed, how their lives wouldn't have been better for all the things that seemed Inconsequential to You is such a beautiful sentiment. There's a bit of weirdness with talking animated stars that turn out to be God and an angel. If you can get past that weird hurdle in the first five minutes, we're like, what is actually happening.
Speaker 1: In the start a little bit? Monty Python, doesn't it? It doesh does You're absolutely right. The messaging in that film is I guess why it is still much loved and it is aged. I mean, I think when you look at films, of course you can you look at the esthetic, and it's hard for films not to age, obviously because it advances in film and you know it's a black and white film and acting style changes and what we can do with cameras.
Speaker 2: But the messaging in that film is just ageless. Yeah, timeless, yea, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Great and great and Frank Capper as well, who they week together. Of course in Missus Smith goes to Washington, which you mentioned nineteen thirty nine, incredible year for film, like it is considered the best film year ever. Gone with the Wind was made night as well. Yeah, Miss Smith goes to Washington. Stage CoA I think is the absolutely Wuthering Heights of Mice and Men, Goodbye Mister Chips Stark, Victory Destry Rides Again. I think assumes Stuart and Hunchback of not your darm like it.
Speaker 7: Is original long Chainey, No, I wouldn't be maybe.
Speaker 1: Not sure if it's the original one. But that's just an incredible list of films that have lasted the test of time. And I bring it up now because you mentioned in your three favorite films, and before we speak about Gone with the Wind the Wizard of Ours. So even the fact the fact that Gone with the Wind and The Wizard of Oz has made the same year is kind of mind blowing.
Speaker 6: It is well, I think Wizard of Oz came out obviously being in Technicolor was their big thing. And as I'm sure we'll get into with Gone with the Wind, I think Gone with the Win was the first to win and Oscar as a color film the best Picture, so color was a big thing.
Speaker 2: So even by today's stand it's the creative decision to.
Speaker 6: Depict the first section of The Wizard of Oz in black and white, and then when she steps off out of the house it turns to color. When you look at how that would have been done in the nineteen thirties. Is quite an incredible undertaking and just the spectacle of it. I mean, you talk about budgets for films now and how a lot of that is done. I guess in post production, green screen special effects, what these films were doing on huge sound stages. But then to sort of make the Wicked Witch of the West disappear, there's a trap door that even if you look closely now you can't see it. You can't see I know how it's done, and every time I'm watching, like how she disappears so.
Speaker 7: Quickly under this puff of smoke. It's so wonderfully done.
Speaker 6: And apparently it was Snow White and sn Dwarves, which came out I think two years before, gave MGM the idea of, oh, well, people like family films, so we should do a family film, like kids film. So they decided to do Wizard of Oz and you know, quickly snapped up the rights to the book. But then they had concerns that sending this girl into a fantasy world with a talking scarecrow and a witch people might find as a bit of elite, which is why the film added the well maybe it was all the dream part, which isn't technically part of the book, so they have given themselves a little bit of a get out of jail card in case people go, well, that doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 2: That is, I never knew that. I never knew that all.
Speaker 6: Apparently the lady who played the Wicked Witch of the West was delightful and for the rest of her life had kids running and screaming from there in the street.
Speaker 2: But apparently it was very nice.
Speaker 1: At least David Prowse got the wear a uniform in Beta, so nobody got scared.
Speaker 6: And when I was living in the States, I got to go see the Culver City studios, which were the old MGM studios, and walk around there and just that idea of I mean, they're just buildings, but to go, wow, the Wizard of Oz was shot here. And actually, now that I think of it, I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the studio that we shot rove La and had gone with the wind in it, because they'd have a plark.
Speaker 2: I'd like to have a look at it.
Speaker 6: I've got a photo of it somewhere, but there's a plaque out the front of every sound stage to say what was shot there? And I remember thinking Jesus a lot of g things. So it's Gone with the Wind, Goonies, the Gilmore Girls, and then Roll.
Speaker 2: Great the trend of it. But yeah, that incredible history that that movies hold.
Speaker 6: In your life, to sort of get to sort of step you know, on those footprints that they've left behind, I think is always a wonderful thing.
Speaker 2: I love it whatever.
Speaker 1: A handful of times I've been on the Warner Brothers lot and the sea. Yeah, the list of films made in those stages is this. It's it's very exciting. It's very exciting, and we are discussing one of the most exciting films certainly upon release. That the excitement surrounding Gone with the Wind that was massive. It was based on Margaret Mitchell's novel, which if you think basically the excitement around Harry Potter, that's probably the closest thing in contemporary terms as far as oh they're making X into a movie like I can't think of it, you know one recently that would compare to the excitement that would have been around Gone with the Wind. Also, the fact that it was in color, like you say, the first you know, like a very early color film, was was the excitement was palpable and.
Speaker 2: Like the book was like the year before or something.
Speaker 6: As soon as the book was written, it was such a massive success that they snatched up the rights to it. Like you think that that seems like a very modern day idea. Yeah, you can turn around that quickly. Yeah, or that anyone is looking at a book as a source for well, you know, as soon as you're even writing a book, the idea that you could sell the rights to it for a film or TV franchise I thought was more of a contemporary idea. But you know, with this, it was like, yeah, soon it was on the shelves, they snatched it up, and we're going to turn this into a film.
Speaker 1: Now, this is a complicated, maybe more complicated question than I've asked. You know, it seems like a very simple question, but I feel with this film potentially it's complicated.
Speaker 2: But did you enjoy it? That is a complicated question. Did I enjoy it?
Speaker 6: Look, I got through it. I I don't know that I would watch it again. I would say no, I didn't enjoy it. There were things I enjoyed about it, but apart from the very obvious problems subject matter wise, just at its core, it's one of those stories that I just don't resonate with. It's got those Brian prejudice kind of tones to it, that idea of, you know, there's a there's a female protagonist who's you know, kept protected from the world and needs a man, just a guy to come in and rougher up. And and whether it's that kind of you know, James Dean style bad boy thing that is actually the attraction or not. I just find that, Yeah, it's it's like men need to come in and show women how to have a good time, and that's kind of the basis of this film. And I found most of the characters to be quite unlikable, apart from any kind of racial overtones that that run through this film and misogyny and all of that as well just as individual characters like Scarlet in particular, trying to steal everybody's partner and just being like flirtatious for the sake of being disruptive is how I took it.
Speaker 2: And being.
Speaker 6: A bit of an egotist, I found as well that in like when they do end up together, it was part of me like, well, good, like you two go over there and let everyone else just have a good time because I don't know what the two of you want, but you can go look for it together. So that part of it was at its core tough for me to get through. The visuals were incredible, which we can get to, but on the whole I would say, no, I didn't enjoy it.
Speaker 2: Well, it is and I had like a rocky road kind of experience with this.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 1: A bit of a rollercoaster with sometimes I was really impressed with what I was seeing, and I was enjoying elements still, both with character and with what I was visually seeing. Like you said, some of the visuals are absolutely stunning, but I agree that my first thing was like, oh, this Scarlet O'Hara is.
Speaker 2: It's tough to warm to. Yes, she is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, really, well, it's hard to like to begin with. And you know, the first thing we know is is really that she is wanting to she loves Ashley.
Speaker 6: She loves Ashley technically her cousin or Ashley's marrying his cousin his cousin.
Speaker 2: Sure, that's fine. Yes, Melanie who who I think was?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 2: That was much?
Speaker 7: She was by far my favorite.
Speaker 2: Yes, I needed her a life, but in a movie.
Speaker 1: And what I think was realizing later on in the film is Melanie is lovely and she's a saint. But if the film was about hurt and it's not a very interesting film. I did get to the point where I go, no, you need and I kind of almost admired that Scarlett O'Hara was such a complicated woman in this time. I really thought when I thought of Gone with the Wind, that it was all romance.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I thought of that, the poster with you know, Red Butler and Scarlett Oharat and almost like looking down for the kiss, and I thought, this is a big sweeping romance. And when this idea that Ashley was on on on the on the scene, I thought, okay, early on, he'll be on the scene and then he'll get he'll die or something, and then he's the whole thing is like she's waiting for Ashley. I thought, well, hang on, So this is almost like a this is a non you know, like a non rum. It's not, but it's it's it's an anti romance in a way, like and you're right when when they kind of when they were together, I wasn't I why, but why are you together outside of maybe sexual attraction, which I think maybe red.
Speaker 2: Red Scarlett, yeah.
Speaker 1: Written scarlet Let's ever listen actually to when ret first meets Scarlet. There Scarlet's actually just had is a bit of a chat with Ashley and actually is trying to push her away, and she she throws I think a glass at a painting and disturbs Retty's been there listing there on the couch.
Speaker 3: As a war stne.
Speaker 2: Sir you you should have made your presence known in.
Speaker 3: The middle of that beautiful love scene. That wouldn't have been very tactful with it. But don't worry. Your secret is safe with me. Say you are no gentleman and you miss our no lady. We don't think that I hold that against you. Ladies have never held any job for me.
Speaker 7: First you take a low common advantage of me, then you insert me.
Speaker 8: I meant it as a compleman, and I hope to see more of you when you're free of the spell of the elegant mister Wilkes. He doesn't strike me as half good enough for a girl of your What was it your patient for a living?
Speaker 4: How dare you? You aren't his book?
Speaker 8: And you were going to hate him for the rest of your life.
Speaker 1: So that's the start of their, you know, their journey together. I'm just I was never quite sure when the point. I guess Rhet dislikes her immediately whatever you know he sees in her both but maybe physical and also what he gleans from her. But I'm just wondering, when did Scarlet fall for Rhett and did that ever really happened? That does that only happen right at the end when she when she knows that he's left, and it's almost what she can't have is what she desires the most.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's it's tricky because you've got Ashley, who she's pining for for the whole film. And then right at the very very end, when he's heartbroken over the loss of Melanie, that he has his moment of confession where he says it's it's her, It's always been her, and how I'm going to live without her? And then it feels Scarlet quite abruptly suddenly lets go of what seems like it has been years and years and years of holding a flame for him, that this unrequited love, that one day he will leave Melanie for me, and that's enough to snap her out of it and then she goes running to RHTT.
Speaker 2: It's not like.
Speaker 6: I couldn't quite make the connection between how suddenly the trigger point of Ashley doesn't love me after all, Okay, I can now let go of him. I won't keep fighting for him even though now he's available. So there's that, and then the domino effect of okay, well Ashley doesn't love me, Well, I can let go of that now. Oh and well there's Rhett. Oh I love RHTT just happened in the blink of an eye. That was too quick for me when the whole film was based around this push pull of Scarlet can't get over Ashley Ashley, and then.
Speaker 2: Especially because she said, why didn't you tell me? I'm pretty sure he has told you.
Speaker 6: You keep coming back and not letting him just walk away from things, and whether it's because you believe deep down he does Ashley does love you more than Melanie. You won't just let them be as a couple in the same way that you go. So then same thing with Rhett when he finally says, no, I have loved you. I've always loved you from the moment I first saw you at twelve oks at the party.
Speaker 7: And let's say as a rule. I think it's great.
Speaker 6: I think Mammy has the exact right advice of never show your bosom before three o'clock.
Speaker 2: I think that's a good Let's get a life. Let's get back to that everyone. Let's get back to that. I mean from three o'clock onwards. It's past.
Speaker 7: Get them out, enjoy men, women, everybody.
Speaker 2: Let's go for it.
Speaker 6: But yeah, like I hadn't found that connection from Rhett that he was the one who loved Scarlett. He was always this push pull thing. I think one of his first lines to her is that's your problem. You need to be kissed and kissed often. And I can see what he's trying to say, or what the undertones are, which is you look the part of the Southern bell, but I know you would rather be riding around on horses and swinging and whiskey and cologne and not having to give off all these airs and graces that a lady of the South has to give. And I see the real you underneath. And he's obviously shown himself to not be one of the Southern sympathizers. He's a bit of a rebel when it comes to his way of thinking, and he can see both sides and has been a bit of a deserter because he doesn't think war's a good thing. So he's trying to say, you're like me. We're mavericks here, we're outlaws. Let's the two of us go and be the real us together. That's fine, But this idea of you're the greatest thing. And ever since I first laid eyes on you wasn't quite there. And when he made that announcement at the end, that to me was a bit of a revelation because I hadn't quite seen that yet.
Speaker 1: And then when they would get together, it seemed like it seemed like a pretty something tenuous would then usually lead to a slap of the face. I mean, Will Smith had a field day and a remake of Going with the Wind because the slapping that goes on, they're together, kissing, and it's like, okay, they're getting back to getting together now finally, and then.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they slap and then she's like, what are you talking about?
Speaker 2: Yeahous, your hands are dirty, you've been working. Do you need money? Slap your hand while I'm in prison. And in the end, it's like he knows that money is part of his attraction. He almost uses it.
Speaker 1: In the end, they go on the boat and they like So I just felt whenever they got together it was something that seemed to me pretty flimsy that then drove him apart really quickly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I get that there's a lot of that.
Speaker 6: It's almost like royalty as you've got like cousins marrying cousins. It's the south and the integrity of keeping bloodlines, you know, like something out of Game of Thrones or something.
Speaker 2: It's this real.
Speaker 6: Okay, Well, this is an important person, This is a portant, important person, and if we marry together, then we've got two big pieces of land.
Speaker 7: So let's get you two together. So I could see how Rhet was a catch.
Speaker 6: And Scarlet comes from a family that at the time had wealth taras an amazing you know, plantation, So it would make sense that they would sort of be there for each other, that that attraction was there, that idea of look, you know, as far as arranged marriages go, which is kind of how this works. You and I, you know, we don't hate each other, but we don't love each other, but at least we can get along, unlike maybe many other people. But there wasn't I didn't see that spark of chemistry. They just it was like two magnets. Every time they would get super close to each other, they would just repel. But I will say this as actors, though, I don't think i'd ever seen Clark Gable in anything before.
Speaker 2: No, I was the same. Actually, he was one of.
Speaker 6: Those guys for all that era, you know, James Stewart, Carrie Grant, Catherine Hepburn, all these actors of that era. I'd seen a lot of their work and enjoyed it, and it wasn't until I watched this I don't actually think as iconic because he is. I've actually ever seen a Clark Gable film either, and I thought he was fantastic.
Speaker 2: I really enjoyed him.
Speaker 1: By the same thought, and he was like the biggest movie star. When the book came out, there's a lot of conjecture and a lot of you know, speculation of who would play Rhett and who would play Skull, And it was almost a no brainer. Is nobody else can play Rhet Butler other than Clark Gable. The search for Scull O'Hara was a more complicated search. Betty Davis desperately one of the Lana Turner one to the Katherine Hepburn one of that Lucia ball I wanted it.
Speaker 2: Wouldn't that have been fascinating? Yeah, it obviously worked.
Speaker 1: Vivian Lee wins the Oscar, Clark Gable misses out on the Oscar. It goes to the actor from Goodbye Mister Chips, Roger Barratt.
Speaker 2: I think I'd like to think, my wi, but the chemistry works. They didn't.
Speaker 1: They didn't necessarily get along on off camera. In fact, Vivian lely hated kissing Clark Gable because he had apparently bad breath.
Speaker 6: Well I wasn't aware. He his amazing teeth apparently false talse from smoking. And there's a couple of times when he laughs you can hear that guttural rattle in his chest that they probably all had back then when they were just in.
Speaker 2: The same way.
Speaker 1: A lot of the Ossie actors who you know, I think succeeded in going Russell and Hugh and Hamsworth they said, and Mel Gibson, they like that they feel like men, you know, like where I think I had a lot of commentary about American actors softening over the years, like the male actors.
Speaker 2: So I think when you go back and see.
Speaker 1: Oh this is what they probably were talking about, that that type of the old Hollywood Yes men, you know, men and men, kind.
Speaker 6: Of mustaches, impeccable must Apparently I'd heard a rumor that he would eat garlic.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 1: I think when Lee was start complaining about his breath, he was, Okay, watch this space, would.
Speaker 2: Colets cologne? Here we go?
Speaker 6: Yeah, But he seemed like he was also like a decent guy, like the actor who the actress who won Supporting Actress for playing Mammy wasn't actually allowed to attend the Oscars because there was segregation in the hotel that they were holding the oscar, So even though she was nominated, she wasn't allowed to attend, and Clark Gable in protest, said well, I'm not going to go to the awards either if she's not allowed to go. She ended up saying, please don't boycott on my account. But I appreciate what you did. And I thought that was that's a nice thing to have in your mind when you're you're watching you know, these characters on screen.
Speaker 1: And they were Haddie McDaniel, who played Mammy was they were friends as well, and she would always have house parties and apparently Clark Gable almost never missed a party and he was more than happy to watch the Oscars. So he's at the premiere. Sorry, be at the premiere with Hattie and her friends, but she convinced him to be.
Speaker 2: You know, it's your movie. You need to be at the premiere.
Speaker 1: Hadi McDaniel also then at the Oscars, was was made to sit I think at the back of the room or on a side table. Wins becomes becomes the first African American to win the Oscar. It's a complicated role for her because it is and I guess we should maybe talk about some of that stuff now, you know, you watch and there's some very clear racism. There's there's the slapping and the pressy cops. It a lot pressy cops it well, even to start with Pressy played by Butterfly mc McQueen, Like it's just this idea, like that the look at slavery is so one sided, Like there's no everyone seems happy to be doing their part and be working on the plantation. There's no kind of like disgruntled slaves and like that's obviously not the you know, not the case. And Prissy is seen as it's like this childlike this high squeaky kind of voice, almost like she has a mental disability, you know. And they're portraying slaves like they need that, they need their wide owners. They wouldn't even be able to survive in the outse world. They are better off.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah here yeah.
Speaker 6: And even the whole opening is shots of slaves in the fields, as the text over the top is saying it's Margaret Mitchell's Song of the Old South, and there's all these wonderful flowing terms as you see images of slavery underneath. And the big thing that kind of blew my mind within the first few minutes is that the name of the film and the novel Gone with the Wind, is talking about how this wonderful life we had before this Civil War took it all away, and it was quote gone with the Wind, this wonderful life where we there was segregation and we could make people work for nothing, and then we could treat them horribly so that we could live like kings. What a time, What a shame that it's gone the good old day? And that was when I went, I had choked in my cologne.
Speaker 2: I was like, I know the racism was coming. I didn't expect it in the opening.
Speaker 6: It's there in the title, isn't. I'd never thought of that at all. I was not aware of it anyone.
Speaker 2: No, and then you got You got.
Speaker 1: Had him at McDaniel who played Mammy, which I must say, I did not know that this was kind of a thing in movies. But once it's kind of a point of that, it becomes quite you know, kind of clear. I think this idea, the whole idea of the Mammy character, which is like a maid and it's a bit of a nanny.
Speaker 6: It's like a living nanny, maide looks after the kids. Oh pay a type of idea and.
Speaker 1: The design basically, and it's almost a Hollywood construct where you have African American women portraying these maternal maids. Often they're quite large and there's no there's no kind of sense of sexual danger as far as like oh or maybe she's you know, she's having an affair with the husband. They're never so they're always like bigger, bigger women, and they have these characters, you know, they're like they're running the house. They're very content to be running the house. They have a voice in the house. And it's all designed to make it easier for Americans to basically to accept slavery, to go go, oh, well, they're happy, not that they get that, they get to live in the you know, in the house or in spect, they get long. You know, they're giving advice to each other. You know, just look how happy they are. So it became a really complicated thing for Haddie McDaniel, who was a working actress, and she got, you know, criticized by her own community for taking the role. But she said, well, I'd rather make I think it was seven hundred dollars a week tending to be a maid as opposed to seven dollars a week actually being a maid.
Speaker 7: And it's it's it's tough because you do look at the cast, and you know, the.
Speaker 6: Unfortunate argument being you could make about, well, look how many African Americans are cast in this film, probably a lot more than were cast at any other point in that in that era. Yet the reason they're being cast is to play these roles of subjugation, which you know is problematic in its own right, but what you know, what choice do you have at the time?
Speaker 1: Those are the real dilemma, certainly, not just like Hany mcdannely, you said, and Butterfalo McQueen said, she barely didn't.
Speaker 2: She basically didn't work after that, she was just like seen as.
Speaker 6: Also there was a she was I think Vivianly was told to actually the directors actually slap her in the scene because it needs to look there's a couple of times where you know, hands are flying thick and fast, and she was told like, actually slap her. We want it to look real, right, so feel free to actually slap her. And and yeah, Butterfly, I like at one point at one point was like, I if you if she keeps actually hitting me, I'm not going to be able to do this scene anymore because she was so distraught. So then Vividly kind of pulled the punch as that were on the next take so they could get it right. But that's also what was happening on camera as well. It's interesting when you watch it because you take that in mind and think, and then the Academy is awarding her hattie for her performance, so there's something in that to go, well, okay, at least is there some kind of silver lining in the fact that they can look at a good performance and award it. And I don't know about you, but when I watch a film like this, if I haven't seen it before, sometimes I do look, especially if this one, like knowing it's going to be four hours, I'll do my homework on it beforehand, so if there's anything to look out for, I can keep an eye on it, rather than get to the end and go look it up and then go, oh, that's interesting. Now I have to go back and wak so knowing that I did go into it knowing that she had won the Oscar. So then you start watching the performance going, let's I wonder if there's any glimpse of where it is. And that's the scene where Melanie has come in because we've lost Bonnie.
Speaker 7: Bonnie's stacked it on the horse and.
Speaker 6: They're on their way up the stairs and Mammy is telling Melanie, bringing her up to speed on here's what's happening, and the horring things that are happening, where Rhett has got this deceased child in the room and he's not letting anyone in. He's telling everyone he's not even going to bury her. He's just at this absolute low.
Speaker 2: It is one shot.
Speaker 6: I don't think one take us in its take number one and then walked away. But certainly it's all done in one take, and Mammy has to just info dump on what's happening and how distressing it is for the house. It had been bliss, it was Phoenix from the ashes stuff almost literally, where the Tara is back to its glory days, everybody's happy again, and then boom, it's all been taken away and they've all been crushed once more. And she is now feeling that for the household. And as she's going up the stairwell, it starts from the bottom where she's upset, and it builds and builds and bills and she's got tears streaming down her eyes and it's one shot following her.
Speaker 2: We don't cut back to Olivia at all.
Speaker 7: To Melanie, we don't do that.
Speaker 6: We stay on her and she holds the scene the whole way up the staircase. It's incredible, Yeah, just incredible.
Speaker 1: There were little things like those long takes and also some little crash zooms that I wasn't expecting, like it's.
Speaker 7: A lot of eye lines out of place.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 6: At one point, Madmy's talking to Rhett, who is on a horse, saying shouldn't let kids on horses.
Speaker 7: I'm just telling you it's bad news kids on horses.
Speaker 6: And you cut to him and it looks like she has suddenly climbed a ladder because he's not looking down. You go to the two shot her the back of her head is almost on her neck looking up. They cut to the close up of her and it's like suddenly she's decided she needs to really take in his groin or something, because her eye level is like straight.
Speaker 7: On and there's and that happens a lot in the film where they're just like just look ahead. The two shots not important of where you are. That doesn't need to match it.
Speaker 2: The line was crossed a couple of times.
Speaker 1: I think we can safely say that before we move on from all the heady McDaniel and all the race off, there's also she lost when she lost, so she won the Oscar. She was up against Olivia de Havlin, who was Malni and she was magnificient. She was magnificent and I thought almost gave a more modern performance than anyone else in the Like you know, sometimes you watch older films and they look like these are actors who look like they're from the golden age of Hollywood and they you know, there's something about Olivia the have.
Speaker 2: One that looked thoroughly modern. I don't know. I can't. I can imagine her in a in a movie that was made this year. I really cool.
Speaker 1: But when she lost to Harriet, there's conflicting stories. But apparently there's stories that she she stormed out, that she broke down in tears and said, like, my god, how can this happen. A relative of Haddie McDaniel has said that he had heard that she was upset initially, but then she actually said why not, Haddi McDaniel, Sure, why not?
Speaker 2: Which you know, you can be disappointed, you know, I want.
Speaker 1: To read too much into it was because Haddie was African American. It might have been that her own disappointment for losing. I like the thing that it was that I really did.
Speaker 6: Plenty of people who have been nominated for awards alongside cast members, and it's tough.
Speaker 2: It's very tough.
Speaker 6: And then when the other person wins, it's not that you're mad that they won, it's you're disappointed that you lost. Yes, And I would say that's probably what this is on a film of this scale, and the amazing job that Olivia de Haviln does in this too, she's well within her rights to go. I think I've got a good shot at this. Yeah, and then when she loses, that would be upsetting. Of course, no one likes to lose, and I would like to think that it's any any reason for her being upset is more on that than who won over her.
Speaker 2: Let's go with that, let's get well.
Speaker 1: Another positivity was it was an extra, an African American extra who was quite experienced as well, like he's probably almost playing below himself to be an extra on the film. He had some other credits and he noticed during the barbecue scene they were basically portoloo set up which had signs you know, whites and color and this is you.
Speaker 2: Know, it wasn't at this stage of segregated area.
Speaker 1: So he he kind of really he tried to get the older black actors, who I think had speaking past, to kind of say this is you know, this is not good enough. You know, this is we won't stand for this, and they were like, well, the others replace us. So then he I think got a couple of the other extras and said let's you know, let's say something, and they were like, oh, how about you say something? And he stormed into Carry Grant's trailer and they said, I need give me a minute and Carry Grant. Like he said earlier, he was he seemed like a good guy and I'm sure a complicated guy.
Speaker 4: But he.
Speaker 1: Went with him and followed him out and saw the portaloos and then went to the producer, David L. Selznak and said, this is this. If you an't take our science down, you don't have a rep Butler.
Speaker 6: So there were some good things happening, yeah, I mean, but it's also I mean, quite clearly there's terminology that I even sometimes struggled to understand how even in the nineteen thirties that was some thing that you could words that you could say on screen, or adjectives or descriptions like you know, they are inferior. And but for me, one of the and of course the slavery issue is there, and you go into it knowing it's there. Obviously we're watching it now that has a warning beforehand, and we can get to some of the other warnings that should maybe have beforehand.
Speaker 4: We will.
Speaker 6: But for me that the bit that I found most striking, I guess, was the strange scene of all the.
Speaker 7: Girls having a nap.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 6: Yes, and so they're at the party at twelve olks. All the men are going to go have a smoke and a drink and talk about the world. The girls will go for a nap. They all have a little afternoon rest almost, and as they're all lying in this huge room, there's just a shot of one small African American girl fanning them all with a peacock feather ostrich feather fan and I just thought that's probably what it was like, this kid, you know, having to do that for all these well to do white women sleeping in their very comfortable beds, and she's just sitting there in her you know, dirty little dress. Was to me one of the most impacting scenes in the whole film.
Speaker 2: It was something that I wasn't aware that and I can't imagine that happened.
Speaker 1: I don't think they're adding details like that into this movie because we can watch this movie and think, oh, how racist was everybody and how clueless were they to actually portray this like this. Surely they knew, but the fact was they were completely aware of the problems or some of the problems in the script, and they actually did try. There was an effort made, There was consult consultation with African American people. And the fact is the ku Kux Klan is in the book and it's not represented at all in the movie. There's talk of the gentleman being part of a political party or a political meeting, and that is the ku Klux Klan I see, which I think is a good thing because you look at a birth of a nation which is basically a celebration of the South and white supremacy. And there's from and I haven't seen it, but I'm told from a film a cinema point, there's so much to admire for it.
Speaker 2: But it's a celebration of the ku Klux Klan and white you know, empowerment.
Speaker 1: So I'm glad, you know, I'm glad we can watch Gone with the Wind, recognize its problems, understand how we have evolved since then, and how we still need to continue to evolve. Back to Melanie, because she is the light in this In this film, they want to play a scene involving Melanie and the local Madam Bell. While Madam Bell, Madame Bell who tried to donate money earlier, and they would not accept her dirty money, and only only Melanie accepted.
Speaker 2: And it came later on. Oh, come is a good thing.
Speaker 4: How can I thank you enough for what you did first?
Speaker 3: How can any of us thank you enough?
Speaker 4: I got your note saying he was going to call on me and thank mess. You must have lost your mind. I come up here as soon as it was dark to tell you mustn't even think of any such thing. Why I'm well, You're wouldn't be fitting at all. It wouldn't be fitting for me to call and thank a kind woman who saved my husband's life.
Speaker 3: Miss Wilkes.
Speaker 4: There ain't never been a lady in this town nice to be like you?
Speaker 9: Was?
Speaker 4: I mean about the money for the hospital, you know? And I don't forget a kindness. And I got to thinking about you being left a widow with a little boy. Mister Willikes got home and he's a nice little boy. Your boy's Ms Wilkes. I got a boy myself, so I, oh you have does he live? Oh no, he ain't here. In that letter.
Speaker 3: He ain't never been here.
Speaker 4: He's off at school.
Speaker 2: I ain't seen him since he was little.
Speaker 4: Oh well, anyways, I would have been that Miss Kennedy's husband by herself, I wouldn't have lifted her finger no matter what Captain Butler said. She's a mighty cold woman, Prance and Nevada Lanta by herself she killed her husband, saying as if she shot him.
Speaker 3: You mustn't say any kind of things about my sister love.
Speaker 4: Oh please don't reason, Miss Works. I forgot how you liked, but she just ain't in the same plans with you. And I can't help it if I think so.
Speaker 1: I mean, I wouldn't disagree with Bell Wantley there, but but I mean, how good is Melanie to Bell Whatley's has basically saved her husband, so she you know, they think she thanks her for doing that.
Speaker 2: And and Bell Whatley's very.
Speaker 1: Thankful and gracious towards Melanie for what she's done and has she has treated her. But when Bell crosses the line and says about, you know, about Scarlet, she draws a line like she goes, no, you can't say that about.
Speaker 2: My Yeah, that's when she knows full well that's what was going on.
Speaker 6: Yes, you know there Scarlet was literally coolling over Ashley, and oh, Ashley's back and isn't that great? Everything's fine when her own husband at that point, her second one has died or die off screen as well.
Speaker 2: I mean the first one.
Speaker 6: First one, Hamilton, we get a letter saying he's died in the war. Oh hey, before you think he's a hero, let's be very clear. He got pneumonia after getting the measles, so I don't even think he's getting a heroes welcome here. There is no flag draped over this coffin measles and pneumonia and so you.
Speaker 1: Know, ps, just so you know that musical that is going to take place, it's got nothing to guy.
Speaker 2: It's not him.
Speaker 6: Apparently the actor who played that role was very unhappy with how soppy the character was because he was a bit of an action saw himself as a bit of an action star, or the roles that he'd done before were very manly men, and he is this sort of quoft guy who dies from measles in the war.
Speaker 2: Very good, What did you so?
Speaker 1: While we're on Melanie, Before we move on Scarlet and Melanie, did you did you get it?
Speaker 9: Like?
Speaker 6: Even Scarlet welcomes her to the party. After Scarlet has been seen in the arms of her husband and she's the one who and you know, again this is rhet saying you have to take your medicine. You were seen with another man. Her husband. The daughter has seen you. She's told everyone in town. Everyone's shitcanning you. And now you have to take your medicine and turn up to that party. And when she kicks you out, that's the punishment you have to take when you were publicly shamed.
Speaker 7: That serves you right. What a lovely husband he is.
Speaker 6: And then she turns up and Melanie's like, welcome, Scarlet, what an amazing dress. Do you look beautiful? Do you know the Harsford meet my sister in law? Come on in, Well, don't just stand there, doctor, get her a drink, like just what a saint?
Speaker 2: A saint?
Speaker 1: And you kind of expect that at some point if it was a modern movie, you feel at some point Melanie leans in to Scarlet and says.
Speaker 2: I'll never forgive you. You'll say something this sea.
Speaker 6: I know what you did, and I think it feels like all of this has come from back when Atlanta was burning. The baby's coming, and Scarlet actually runs in to get Melanie and drags her out of the house, pluts her in the wagon and takes her to safety. That that is something that Melanie for the rest of her life just never forgets, no matter what else happens. Myself and my daughter are here because of Scarlet. And that's actually one of Scarlet's redeeming moments, slowly, very quickly undercut by the fact she literally whips a horse, the horse to death right outside.
Speaker 2: We're nearly there quick, Let's let's just stop down on this because I wrote, did Scarlett just kill a horse? Kill the horse? Because I thought, like, I think you just killed the horse was dead way outside. Surely they've just arrived at Tara, so they're not this traveling.
Speaker 10: The horses has been like it's just down the hill, roaming from the mouth, coming from the mouth. Maybe get in a bucket of water and reward the horse. Drag Thory fire hidden under a bridge basically got you to where you are now, did its job one. I was hoping what she had done a in a and I I really didn't want to whip.
Speaker 2: The horse to death. So what I thought was she she had like a stick where you're kind of like released it, you know, I got got the.
Speaker 6: Horse got away, So she's released the reins and the horse got away, both running.
Speaker 2: Over and falling down.
Speaker 6: It was it was that was shocking to me. It was it was quite shocking. It wasn't one of her finest money.
Speaker 1: And also it's a weird I know, we treat animals far better now, certainly on screen and hopefully off screen as well, than than the US.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure there's the No.
Speaker 1: I didn't I didn't spot that up. But a weird choice to make to make the the heroine of your film kill a horse that has only done its job.
Speaker 6: Hero horse heroes, where's the horse of statue? Where's the whe's the memories of the horse? Do we have any kind of mention of the horse latter on? No, I mean there's another horse that when the father is trying to chase the carpetbagger off, he goes to jump the fence and falls off and dies.
Speaker 7: People can't survive horse falls back in the day.
Speaker 1: Well, seriously, I think, to be honest, I think the horse killed Bonnie. I think the horse was revenge. That was revenge killing.
Speaker 6: Well, when the dad died, that horse at least licked him on the cheek afterwards as he's lying on the ground, like a like a very loyal dog.
Speaker 2: Has licked him on the cheek.
Speaker 6: And I don't know whether that was to cover his tracks, like oh he was he was like this when I found him or not. But that horse was almost MVP for the film is like, well, look, I was texting back and forth with comedian Dave Camen, who knew that we were going into this. He said, keep me up to date with how things are going, and he said, how was? I said, look, the horse was nice. There was there's a nice horse.
Speaker 2: I can give it that.
Speaker 6: But yeah, one of Scarlet's lines, even when she's rebuilding Tara, was she's like, yes, I can rebuild Tara. So everyone who was ever mean to me is p green with envy, like what a motivation for doing it? Not because yes, my family home.
Speaker 2: I can do this. And even at one point when she.
Speaker 6: Says to Ashley, let's run away together, you and I and he's like, could you just like leave your sisters and your father and she's like, yeah, absolutely I could.
Speaker 7: I could leave all of them and they're fun.
Speaker 2: Let's go.
Speaker 6: So there's there's all of that that makes her quite unlikable. But then like there's the Yankee soldier who breaks into the house, and then Tarantina didn't man, I have in my notes in all caps, she shot him in the face, like that was shot.
Speaker 2: In the face.
Speaker 6: This is just me in the face, in the face, all camps, exclamation mark. But that moment, there's Melanie, who is incredibly ill at that point, and she's making her way downstairs and the two of them are like, we have to fix this. And that's another moment where everybody suddenly outside is like what was that sound? And Melanie calls out to the girls and to the dad and says, ah, Scarlett, we're just mucking around with a gun and it accidentally went off. Everything's fine, no one panic. You stay out there, you know, we'll we'll fix it. It's nothing to worry about. And Scarlett looks at her and says like, essentially, thank you, and why did you do that? And then it was like, we gotta we got to get rid of this guy. Let's let's let's do it. That's amazing.
Speaker 1: And I really love this for Melanie because she is such a saint and it's you know, like I said, the film can't be about Melanie because she's too good. But I like this this moment, because she actually even says I'm glad you killed him. Like it's the first little bit of a dark aside to Melanie that we see. I do love the line which I wrote down. Scarlet says, I guess I've done murder. I won't think about that now. I'll think about that tomorrow, which kind of it kind of sums up how Scarlett thinks is it's like I'll think that stuff tomorrow. It's not for today. I'm going to put things off tomorrow. Her motivations are very may We do know her motivator motivation is to find a man and to be well kept.
Speaker 2: But I think she.
Speaker 1: Evolves under Melanie's tutorage, if you like, Melanie in a weird way becomes her mentor without I think Scarlett kind of realizing that, you know, she starts working in the hospitals, the military hospitals. You know, you do see her incrementally become a better person.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I can see how, you know, remembering again the umbrella under which this is set, so it's civil war, especially going into it, they're all like, well we're going to win this. Let's go in typical fashion, They're like, we'll be back in a couple of weeks. What are you talking about as long as we going to.
Speaker 2: Get pneumonia on the measles?
Speaker 7: I mean, come, what's the likely got of that happening or how old it might.
Speaker 6: And so I think there's also for Melanie, there's a little bit of like if if we don't have each other, what do we have?
Speaker 7: You know, the men are doing their things.
Speaker 6: We as women, you know, we obviously have our own role that we are forced to play in this society. And everything that we hold deer has been completely decimated. This is obviously shown through the lens of the South and how they interpret the war, and as they're going through a lot of the beats, historical beats of what has happened, the descriptions of what's happening in the invaders, and you know Sherman, who's the Yankee general, the general from the North, the terms that they used to describe him, and how he's attacking and they're coming and they're burning and pillaging, and look, that probably happened. Just because I think it's very easy for us to look at a war as a binary thing. These guys were against a bad thing, so therefore they were the bad guys. So all of those fighting for Lincoln and the North, they were the good guys because they were fighting on the right side of history. Doesn't mean they fought in any kind of moral way. Not everybody. But there's always going to be bad apples. It's even happening in the modern day. There's a lot of scandals that are sort of coming out about how things are being fought. So as this story is being told, you realize, yeah, it was horrible.
Speaker 2: It's war.
Speaker 6: Of course, life is pretty tough anyway. And then when it's just destroyed, if you then turn on the one potential ally you could have in life, is that really worth it in the grand scheme of things. I don't think Scarlett thinks about that too much. I think she's thinking more of how do I get through tomorrow. But I think Melanie's thinking long term. She's thinking long game, and I think she realizes, sure, you may have the hots for my husband. I think she's aware of it. I don't see it as her being naive. She's just like, look, we just need to be better than and if we're in this together is better than us being on our own.
Speaker 1: I think that's an excellent sormation of that. I mean the it could have been. I expected it's more of a celebration of war. I knew the war played obviously a big part of it civil war, but it really isn't. It's quite an anti war film. There's no battle scenes, there's no glorified battle scenes. It's you've seen the result of war. And even I think rat or ashually talk about earlier about you.
Speaker 6: Know, actually most of the miseries of the world were caused by war, and when the war was over, no one ever knew what the war was about.
Speaker 2: Exactly right. And it's Ashley and.
Speaker 1: Rats who out of two dissenting voices and almost saying, you guys are silly. And I think a lot of a lot of the Southerners are portrayed as us. This is silly, this is this is it's not smart what you're doing, and it's not you're not thinking about what's going You just want war for war's sake. I mean the very first scene of those those two, you know, it's Richie Cunningham and and Superman.
Speaker 2: It's two redheads talking to us.
Speaker 6: One of which George Reeves who plays Superman in the television series The Old black and white television as soon as that was my first because I.
Speaker 2: Know my Superman.
Speaker 1: I was thinking Ralph Richie from Happy Days, but who were not portrayed by those actors.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's just this why don't you want war? Scarlet?
Speaker 1: You know, like what we see, like those those scenes with the bodies, which, oh my god, when you when you stop and think there's no c g I going on here like that, they were, there's bodies.
Speaker 2: Actually they've they've made this shot work.
Speaker 6: I think it's But even coming from that is the scene where Scarlet acting as a as a nurse. There's the soldier, the wounded soldier who needs his leg amputat and then like we have no more anesthetic. Yeah, and if you want to live, you've got to lose the leg. And he's like just okay, well just we've got to cut it off. And she can't bear to hear his screams and watch this happen in this rudimentary hospital, and so she leaves to flee that scene, that image, and doing so walks out into just you know, bodies strewn everywhere, and that incredible, which I now think is an iconic shot that gets parody quite a bit, although I think there's another film, is a Platoon or something where there's a similar sort of shot. I don't know, but that idea of the crane shot that pulls up and you just see, like you say, it's all bodies. Some of them I think were because of paying extras to lie on the ground. Some of them are actually just mannequin's dummies, but still they are all physically there. And that's just a very impacting shot. And going into this film, I didn't think there would be like any dark tones like that. I thought it was all going to be, you know, isn't life grand down here in the South on our wonderful, beautiful plantations and life, and it's all going to be love triangles and who's with who and a bit pride and prejudice.
Speaker 7: And it's not that at all.
Speaker 1: No, Like I said earlier when I had this rocky roller coaster reaction to the film is almost even aesthetically there are these amazing shots. So those the burning of Atlanta and the silhouettes behind them, these burning buildings, apparently the King concepts they were.
Speaker 2: They literally set things on fire.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and to the point where residents in Burbank were calling the fire department saying the MGM studio is on fire.
Speaker 7: You need to go because the place is burning down.
Speaker 2: Incredibles.
Speaker 1: So you go from these shots and that sequence in the in the horse and cart with Rhett and Scarlet with the baby and Melanie in the back.
Speaker 2: Is it almost becomes like a zombie movie for a little while.
Speaker 1: You got people that's trying to clamor onto and and grab their guns, and it's it's amazing.
Speaker 2: But then yeah, there's really beautiful shots.
Speaker 1: But then you'll go to a shot where it's maybe a close up of the two shots of Rett and Scarlet and there's clearly like a green screen behind them.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's just it's just one of those like old school.
Speaker 6: It's like just a screen that's moving, a moving image behind them, and they're just jumping, tostling up and down.
Speaker 7: On a horse to make it look like they're trotting.
Speaker 6: But all that, all that sort of silhouetted imagery of even the big climax at the end of part one, because we should stress if you've never seen this movie before, it comes with a literal opening overture yep, which just has the word overture and you hear music as if you were headed into the theater. There's a literal intermission where the word intermission is on screen for like twenty minutes, and then there's a I forget the word, but there's a basically an exit tune to get you out. So end of Act one, Part one, two hours in is the scene of Scarlet. She's finally back at tar. It's been burned to the ground and she's like, you know you will, this will not end me. I will rise up and she is running across the plantation. There's nothing left and it's just her in complete silhouette and this like red orange skyes imagery they use quite a bit, but man, it looks sensational visually. It looks that for me was the big takeaway that I went, I can see why this one best picture that on a big screen incredible, and there's a lot of it, and a lot of even the interiors, a lot of the lighting is casting these huge looming shadows up the walls as people are going up and down these staircases, and it kind of adds to the sense of sort of harrowing nature that was going on and foreboding that's happening within the movie.
Speaker 1: The ambition in this film, starting with the way it was shot, is staggering. Let's have a listen to Scale O'Hara with that famous scene as which, like you say, it takes us to intermission, there'll be no intimission on the podcast. You're listening for as long as we have you. This is the famous line as God is my witness.
Speaker 7: God is my witness.
Speaker 4: God is my witness, and not going to live me. I'm going to live through this and when it's all over, I'll never be hungry again.
Speaker 8: No, not any of my book.
Speaker 4: If I have a lies to cheat, dog kill, God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again.
Speaker 1: Now let's go to the candy barn, gets some popcorn and some chop tops. And what's actually really what I love when we watch these films is knowing what was happening in the world when this was released. So there's coming off the Great Depression and we had to go into a war like the war was breaking out, you know, when this film gets released. So there is a lot of I think talk about hunger in this film, and I think this scene sets it up the most. And also just the idea of women keeping houses and lives going as the men go off to battle.
Speaker 6: Like even when the soldiers coming into the house and he sees Scarlet and his first question is, oh, you here by yourself? Where's the man of the house? And if there is no man of the house, then obviously that makes you vulnerable. So there's a lot of that in there as well, And it's good to play that clip to remind us that that's this is what Scarlet's saying. Like her motivation and drive for getting out of Atlanta and taking Melanie with her with the baby was to get back to Tara. That's all she could think. If I can get back to Tara, everything's going to be okay. She gets there, kills a horse along the way, and then and then let's it go with the magic stick.
Speaker 2: You've got to keep bring in enough whatever.
Speaker 6: And then she sees that it's it hasn't been destroyed, but there's nothing left. All the food's been gone, the horses have gone, stables have been burnt down, And this is her saying like, I will never ever let this happen again. So to then you can't fault her for having ambition and maybe making some questionable choices along the way, but it's self preservation and that's the era that she was in, and I guess the world was kind of in at the time.
Speaker 1: She wants to win at life, you know, and whatever that takes. And she's not the first person in cinema or off screen to want to do that. Why do you think Rhett enlisted in the end. Let's have a listen to when he tells Scarlet that he actually is joining the war effort.
Speaker 7: You won't hold me like that, got it?
Speaker 3: Look at me of you more than I've ever loved any woman. And I've waited longer for you than I've ever waited for any woman.
Speaker 9: Let me alone.
Speaker 3: He is a soldier in the South who loves you. Scunner, wants to feel your arms about him, wants to carry the memory of your kisses into battle with him. Never mind about letting me. You're a woman sending a soldier to his death with a beautiful memory it kiss me, kiss me.
Speaker 9: You.
Speaker 2: No down party tells anything. You never right. Everybody was right you.
Speaker 11: You are a gentleman, a minor point in such a moment. Yeah, if anyone lays a hand on that, nag, shoot him. But don't make a mistake and shoot.
Speaker 4: The nag Oh go on, I want you to go. I hope we cant of all land leap on you.
Speaker 5: I hope a million.
Speaker 3: Pieces time the rest.
Speaker 8: I follow your general idea, and when I'm dead on order by country, I hope your conscience surgery.
Speaker 3: Goodbye's comment.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's well, look, it's simple to look at it face value, which is he's like, I'm off to fight the war and she says, how dare you. He's also like, well, you've got to kiss me, and she's like, no, I don't want to kiss you. And you can sit there going what is this? But in the context of when that scene happens, so Rhett has swept in just at the right moment when everything was going belly up in Atlanta, to take the girls and rescue them, get them out of Atlanta, and they finally are on their way to Tara. It's now the worst of it is behind them. He I took it as has seen now what this war actually is. As a man who is who has left the army gone awol before has now decided, you know what I need to I can't just let this happen.
Speaker 7: I can't sit idly by I need to do my bit, because this is it.
Speaker 6: Everything's going to be gone, and what's the point of saying, well, I'll just stay out of it if there's if there's nothing at the end. At the same time, Scarlet's like, finally Rhett is here, I'm back. I feel safe, and right in that moment, he's like, I need to go fight the war. I just need to go fight the war.
Speaker 2: And she's like, what are you talking about.
Speaker 6: We're just we're home and host now Tara over there, dead horse on the way and we're good to go, mate, And he's like, no, I can't do that. Now give me a kiss before I go, so I've at least got something to hang on to. She's like, I'm not giving you a kiss.
Speaker 2: Now, you're just going to throw this at my face.
Speaker 6: Right when I think once again everything's coming up, Scarlet, you have to go and pull the rug out.
Speaker 2: So no, I'm not going to give you a kiss. And I can understand how you get it. You do, oh, and I understand.
Speaker 1: But the way through the movie, rehtt is manipularly, there's no doubt about that, Like that that say you need to kiss me because I'm going off the war like. I mean, I can understand if I was going off the wall. Yeah I want to, I want to peck, you know. But at that point it did remind me, you know that as I was kind of, I guess warming the scarlet. At some point I was also going to go, oh, rat's actually in a bit of a douche.
Speaker 2: She says, you're no gentleman.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And then I don't know if it's at that point or somewhere else, and he says, well, that's a fine thing coming from a woman like you.
Speaker 2: Just well, don I'm being the better person here. I do feel that.
Speaker 1: Early on, more so, I could see that Rep. Butler is almost a prototype for Han Solo Weirdley. I had this feeling like, is that kind of brogue because he's a blockade run that's it, And he was going a rogue ish, you know, he was quick with a joke.
Speaker 2: He goes into darker territories.
Speaker 1: Ever, didn't let's maybe talk about that other problem problem with the film, or one of the other problems is just the well, well it's called of I guess I would call it marital rape.
Speaker 6: It's non consensual sex, that's for sure. Where a very drunken Brett. We should point out as well. I'm not justifying. I'm just saying that, you know, we're doubling down on how bad it is.
Speaker 1: And it's so interesting because I I before, actually where the scene kind of almost ends, I thought, wow, this is this just feels almost like a different film, and almost felt like quite a modern dark film. When they're at the table and let's have it listen to a drunken rat and he's got to put his hands on scarlet.
Speaker 4: If you want a drunken and selling I could explain everything.
Speaker 3: You get out of that chair once more.
Speaker 5: Of course, the comic figure and all this is the long suffering mister Wilkes, mister Wilkes who can't be mentally faithful to his wife and won't be unfaithful to it.
Speaker 3: Technically that doesn't he make up his mind? What you.
Speaker 9: Observe? My hands, my dear, I gotta tear you to pieces with him, And I'd do it if it'd take anything out of your mind forever, but it wouldn't.
Speaker 3: So I'll remove him from your mind forever.
Speaker 2: This way.
Speaker 3: I'll put my hands so one not.
Speaker 9: And I sp sure go between them like a warner that'll block him out.
Speaker 8: Take your hands off me.
Speaker 3: You're drunken food. You know I've always admired your spirit, my dead, never more than now when you're cornered. I'm not cornered, You'll never can any red. Butler, Oh, frightened.
Speaker 2: You've lived in dirt so long you.
Speaker 8: Can't understand me.
Speaker 4: You're jealous of something you can't understand.
Speaker 3: Good Night.
Speaker 2: I mean it's it's so dark. And it gets to a darker place.
Speaker 6: And when he says, yeah, I've got my hands, you should point out he comes around behind her. She's sitting in a chair, very dark and sin He comes around behind her and essentially places a hand either side of her head, like huge hands, like a melon, and is pushing his fingers in and insinuating, I will, yeah, crush as he says, I will crush your skull with in my bare hands.
Speaker 2: And Scarlet doesn't barge on it.
Speaker 1: She she holds her ground like she's she's she's frightened, but she's you can see, she's she's brave, like she's you know, she's.
Speaker 2: She tells him that you know that the stop.
Speaker 1: Then they get and and and then it goes to even in a more problematic area where he forces a kiss on her and then he basically says, you can't stop me taking what's mine ton idols or something.
Speaker 6: I'm going to take you upstairs and essentially, for the first time, you're not going to say no to me, and you're going to give me what I want.
Speaker 1: Because before this scene he has discovered she's been longing after this photo, she's been hiding in the inner or keepsake of Ashley. So what even follows is problematic because we cut to the next month. He goes up the stairs and I got to say, beautifully shot the shadows.
Speaker 2: It's in the shadows.
Speaker 6: Again, it's like, at least to an extent there, they're not being you know. It starts with them seemingly taking this as serious as the scene is because it's very darkly lit. Like you say, he takes her upstairs, and the way the stairs are lit, as they get to the top, they just disappear into shadow and it's very ominous.
Speaker 1: Cut two cut to Scarlet waking up almost almost bright peppy, like it's her birthday and she's yeah, great, great sleep, And so that idea that oh rat was right, that's actually what she needed is what's I find or just that it's.
Speaker 7: Been shrugged off even you know that.
Speaker 6: I wasn't sure how to interpret that, whether it was yes, that has fixed things, or whether it didn't impact her in any way. But how whichever way you slice that, it doesn't it doesn't stack up. That was a real issue, and again one of those things in a film that you go into knowing, Okay, we've got some very tricky issues we're going to face. That's one of those ones too that I sit there thinking, you know, if we're going to be acknowledging before a film, Hey, there are some triggering aspects to this.
Speaker 7: I think that's one of them. Like that's that you know, domestic abuse and.
Speaker 6: Sexual abuse is part of it, and it's it's addressed in a or approached in a similar way where yes we show it, but we're not actually giving it the same weight and similar to the way that slavery is depicted to among others.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he came as a surprise.
Speaker 1: I was expecting the racial stuff and was shocked and wanted to understand that a little bit more. And there's plenty of articles online and videos you can watch to learn more more than you will even learn.
Speaker 6: And also and you know this should almost come with the trigger warning itself. But then there's a scene towards the end of the film where from that night, Scarlett gets pregnant again, which they didn't want to do. They were saying, we don't want to have another baby at this point and Rhett, at this point they've decided they will take some time apart technically separated. Rhet goes away with their daughter Bonnie Bonnie missus mum. So Rhett says, okay, maybe I should come back, and that's when Scarlet says to him, Hey, I'm going to have a baby, and they both sort of acknowledge that's not necessarily the best news in the world, and Rhett says to her, cheer up, maybe you'll have an accidents, at which point they struggle and she does this is not because of him. He doesn't do this intentionally. However, she does then fall down the stairs and loses the baby. So even just that line beforehand is it's like a slap to the face when he says that, you're like, whoa. There's there's a lot of these types of moments in the film. Yeah, that you do need to strap yourself in for when when you sign up to sit through it.
Speaker 1: And there's so much happening. I feel like it does sag a little bit in the in the in the final, the third act, or he's.
Speaker 7: At the fourth fifth, so many but VHS tape two.
Speaker 1: You know, and yet Bonnie dies and Molly dies and there's so much kind of going on. The one thing I did find quite unbelievable was when HTT went to London and wanted to take Bonnie with her. What goes to an oversea street and wants to take a three year old with him.
Speaker 2: It's not plausible in nineteen thirty nine. It's not plausible in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 6: Let's be very honest. There was no euro Disney then, there was no Harry Potter World.
Speaker 2: You know, it was an amazing quick trip as well. They went there and went there like they're on the shirt. She has a nightmare. He goes, okay, we betta go back.
Speaker 6: That came and he's been out, he's been out that night and he's yelling at he's yelling at the nanny that they have there.
Speaker 2: Yeh know, it's like under the light of Big Ben, what are you doing leaving her in this room? In the dark, But where have you been?
Speaker 1: Let's get to the famous final before we wrap this up, because we're in danger of going longer than the movie. Let's get let let's let's get to the final, the final classic line that he's uttered by the wonderful Clark Gable.
Speaker 9: You got.
Speaker 3: Frankly made here. I don't give a damn.
Speaker 1: So sorry, Scart, my apologies. So I knew this happened late in the film, that it might have been been the last line. What what I did not know was I always imagined this line as a sweeping romantic moment as far as like, I almost imagine the poster like that this line happened when we the poster is of Clark Gable almost dipping scull of the horror. I was gonna say, you're handsome. I'm sure if visory makes you would be up for the role. But it really is a it's not a romantic moment of all. It's the opposite of that, is like, no, I've had enough. Yeah, I'm at the end of my tether. I'm out, I'm out.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think it's always been overshadowed by the idea that in nineteen thirty nine, saying damn on screen. This is considered the first wad word massive was massive, and there's a lot of rumor and scufflebut over you know that they were fined for putting it out there, and I think, is I don't know how much of that is true. I think it's more to the point of it's a big deal to say the word damn on screen massive, So I think that kind of overshadows the context of it. So I think I'd never I think I'd always seen it as there was this unrequited love he at the end like he was I don't know, playing hard to get or she was, you know, she was somewhat of a villainous in the film or something, and that's him walking I over the years knew that that's him walking away from her. I did not know that it came with well, they had sort of this on again, off again relationship for so long. So this just for all the push and pull that they've had in a four plus four hour film that right at the very end, in a manner of matter of literal minutes, Scarlett goes Ashley, I'm done.
Speaker 7: Oh my god, htt Why did I not see it before?
Speaker 6: And she marches in and goes Raht, and he goes, no, you know what, I've had enough now, I've literally had enough.
Speaker 2: I'm done.
Speaker 6: Right at that moment, the timing that they both tipped to where she says I'm in and he says I'm out after so long was really.
Speaker 2: Hard for me to get on board with. He does feel like things really right now, just like that, Thank you, This is how it is. Thank I Bridge. Did you watch it with me? Because she would have been.
Speaker 1: This is seriously four hours, four hours and they can't where they're shit out.
Speaker 2: We expected them to where there's shit out come on.
Speaker 7: But my my big thing afterwards was like, okay, then I've never known that.
Speaker 2: Then what and to see? So Scarlet goes, she falls on the stairs.
Speaker 7: She looks up and then she says, well, I'll you know, I'll do what I always do.
Speaker 6: I'll get back, lift myself up by my bootstraps, and I'll keep on fighting and rebuild and maybe one day I'll find you, Reht, and we'll we'll go through this again and we'll and we'll get back together. And then she looks up almost barrels the camera and she says, because tomorrow is another day, and I suddenly realized that's where the saying comes from. Right, it comes from the book, which gets put in the film, which now has become almost a cliche that everybody uses.
Speaker 7: That was where, that's where it's it's up.
Speaker 6: I don't give a damn yeah. And yet I've never connected it to the movie at all. No, because at first I went, oh, that's an odd way to sort of and she delivers it with such gravitas.
Speaker 7: I did a quick google to go, is that where the line comes from? And sure enough it was.
Speaker 1: That's that's really interesting because you watch it and go it's a bit of a meek line to end a movie on. But if you're hearing that as a new concept for the first time, that tomorrow is a new day, that's that's very poetic.
Speaker 2: That's beautiful. That is beautiful. It's not like, yeah, she looks up there.
Speaker 6: There's a couple of old versions where she says and a rolling stone gathering.
Speaker 2: And curiosity will kill the kill the cat or a horse man climbing the stairs. No, my horse killing days are over because Red has taught me.
Speaker 7: So what do you think happened to the pony that threw Bonnie?
Speaker 2: By the way, Scarlet had away with it.
Speaker 1: That's gone, that has gone, that is that's been put in their rayer.
Speaker 2: Just quickly before we wrap up.
Speaker 1: Lee has a fascinating life, like she kind of made the two big films she made with the two oscars.
Speaker 2: She one was Gone with the Wind and Street made des I. She didn't have a as a.
Speaker 1: Massive a career as when you hear the name Vivian Lee that you think she only I think she even maybe made less than twenty films. She had quite a tragic kind of last She dated whilst she was Sir Lawrence Olivier was married. They started an affair and then they I think maybe Lee might have been married as well. Then they left their partners and they got together. She's kind of been kind of written up as to be honest, the term nyphomaniac comes up a lot like her and Lawrence Olivier would have it an on and off again relationship a lot.
Speaker 2: So she was she had other other lovers.
Speaker 1: But what the kind of the sad thing about the way I think she's been portrayed is we only probably realized more recently that she was bipolar.
Speaker 2: I see.
Speaker 1: So I just want to make that point if you if you're reading stuff about Vivian Lee on the surface, you may read you know a lot of affairs and all that. I think it's good to know for context. They believe looking back at various things about her behavior and who she was, that she was probably undiagnosed bi polar.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 6: Also, she fought hard for the character in this as well. So you've got a female author writing a female character por trade obviously by a female actor, with a male director who said, I just see Scarlet as quote a cold bitch.
Speaker 7: That's right, that's how she needs to be played. And Vivian was trying to say, well there's other.
Speaker 2: Character.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, And so they buttered heads over that quite a bit.
Speaker 2: I did well. I ended up warming to Scarlett.
Speaker 1: I guess I thought by the time we got to the end, her evolution would have maybe had her a little further down the path.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, she would have learned more and maybe.
Speaker 1: Put that what she had learned from Melanie and from her own experience two use. And I I'm not sure if I felt that, Oh yeah, because most movies are about somebody a protagonist who wants something and then they may not get what they want, but they get what they need, and I'm just not sure if I saw Scar.
Speaker 2: O'Hara get what she needed. And I think for hours is a long time to sit through just.
Speaker 6: For someone to get some sort of redemption, Yes, especially when we've just lost the one redeeming character in Melanie right towards the end, and a horse the big one and the little one so and the last remaining chicken in the south apparently earlier.
Speaker 2: From Christmas Dinner.
Speaker 6: So yeah, But then that the iconic final shot of once again and her in silhouette looking over the plantation sunset behind her as she kind of looks forward to her future, And then that made me realize that's what they did. A sequel, and I remember, yes, Timothy Dalton, yeah, big. I don't know if it was made from whether there was a novel or whether they just went the film leaves does leave itself open to what happened next, and if her character's journey was I will once again rise up and bring myself back to where I was before, and I'll find you, Rep. Butler, and you go, well, yeah, did that ever happen? But there's a part of me that feels like there's no way that sequel could work, and I gather it didn't.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, the fact that we don't even know what's called I think it's just called scarlet. Yes, yes, actually it is, yes, but I'll put.
Speaker 7: That down for next time.
Speaker 6: But you can see why. Yeah, this film, there's no way you can match it. Like on the it's scale everyone uses the bigger than Ben Her. This was only just under Ben Her for scale budget. What they put on screen, they're literally setting things on fire. It's it's incredible, and I think in that regard, I can see why it wins Best Picture. It always will be listed as one of the greatest of all time for what it is as a piece of cinema.
Speaker 2: Absolutely it deserves to be there, for sure.
Speaker 8: It was.
Speaker 6: And performances, characters aside, performances across the board just amazing.
Speaker 1: And Clark Gable gives that he always invented that leading man look at the furrow of the brow and the kind of the squinting of the eyes.
Speaker 2: And sometimes I was like, oh, that's too much, I can't but just when he invented that, he invented surmizing. He did absolutely mate.
Speaker 1: I always thank everybody into the podcast saying I'm aware that this podcast comes with homework, but you have gone above and beyond. Sampang should be ashamed of himself a choosing an eighty six minute movie in the castle, but obviously there are reasons why he needed to see that. But thank you so much that has been and.
Speaker 6: To you as well, because you know you too have to go through each of these every time as well I do.
Speaker 2: But I am glad this is a big one.
Speaker 1: It's an experience, but it's also good to say, as you know, as somebody who loves cinema, and I've always been slightly embarrassed, but now I can say I've seen Gone with the Wind, and I can tell what quotes if I'm Gone with the Wind and what quota of Casablanca.
Speaker 2: So I played against Sam No, thank you, mate, and we'll catch up again. I do give a damn.
Speaker 1: That was a lot of fun with my great mate Roving Matters talking about the epic Gone with the Wind. Hopefully we jammed a bit of fun in there amongst all the other stuff that needs to be spoken about when we are talking about such a film with a tricky content and subject matter. So I hope you enjoyed that as much as you could really a big thanks to Rowe for sitting down and watching a four hour movie that is above and beyond.
Speaker 2: Also quick thanks to Alex Tye at iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: We actually recorded this one in their studios this week just for availability, and I want to thank Alex for pressing the buttons. Also Derek from Casaways Studios for finalizing everything and getting it out there. Next week on the show, we go from a four hour movie to the shortest movie where I've done. I think it comes in even less than The Castle at about eighty four movies, an anamated classic for nineteen ninety five toy story. And then I'll be joined by a great made of mine, a New Zealand comic actor.
Speaker 2: You may have seen him on.
Speaker 1: How to Stay Married. He did a great episode with us there. He's on the New Zealand Project and he's in a new movie called How to Please a Woman. How to Please a Woman starring him self, starring Tasma Walton, Ross Hammond, Sally Phillips, plenty a great cast, and he'll be joining me next week. Josh Thompson a very FRIENNYSH. Thompson talking about the Pixar nine ninety five classic toy story to infinity and beyond, and so we leave old Pete, save fan soul, and to our friends of the radio audience, we've been a pleasant good night