Speaker 1: What I found when I was trying to automate those tasks that I was talking about in my old job. The first thing I did was like look up conferences and people speaking about that exact issue, because I realized that, like, if I'm seeing this as a total pain in my day, that I'm spending way too much of my day doing this, someone else much smarter than me has already thought of that and has probably come up with solutions. So rather than try to rebuild from scratch, I'm going to find someone smarter out there who's already tackled this problem. So I've never been afraid to kind of reach out to other people doing the similar job that I'm doing and just quiz them, like, what do you do?
Speaker 2: Welcome to How I Work, a show about the tactics you used by the world's most successful people to get so much out of their day.
Speaker 3: I'm your host, doctor Amantha Iver.
Speaker 2: I'm an organizational psychologist, the founder of behavioral science consultancy Inventium, and I'm obsessed with finding ways to optimize my work day. Before we get to you today's show, I just want to do a call out for listener questions, so as you might have noticed if you're a regular listener of How I Work, that I am now dedicating a few episodes to answering questions that might be on your mind about the world.
Speaker 3: Of work and productivity.
Speaker 2: So if anything's on your mind that you would like me to cover, please send it through to Amantha at Inventium dot com dot au and my email is always in the show notes as well.
Speaker 4: So let's get onto today's guest. Who is Peter Wells.
Speaker 2: Now, if you've been listening to How I Work for the last few weeks, you might recognize Peter from.
Speaker 3: The Meta podcast.
Speaker 2: So Peter recently had me as a guest on one of his podcasts, which is a podcast all about podcasters.
Speaker 3: So I actually replayed that episode.
Speaker 2: On How I Work, and I'm a big fan of what Peter does with Meta. So when Peter is not hosting that podcast, he is a technology journalist for the Sydney Morning Herald and has been for many many years, where he writes about tech and podcasts, and he also now recently launched a daily tech podcast called The Help Desk, which is well worth checking out.
Speaker 3: So I must say I'm a huge.
Speaker 2: Fan of tech journalists because I feel like I'm in for a really geeky kind of chat, which I love.
Speaker 3: And there were lots of great tips.
Speaker 2: That I got from Peter, especially around thinking about.
Speaker 3: Automating your job.
Speaker 2: So Peter has a really interesting advice around this, which actually inspired me to think about what more of my own job I could automate. So on that note, let's head to Peter to hear about how he works. Peter, welcome to the show.
Speaker 5: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: We've been reviewing technology for many, many years, and I've got to say I love talking to tech reporters because I feel like they've got the best advice. So I want to know what your favorite gadgets that you've been using in twenty twenty. So no pressure, no pressure, and they don't have to have been released in twenty twenty. That's the rules of the game, so just stuff that you're using.
Speaker 1: I honestly think that the best bit of tech that's come out in the last couple of years has been the Airpod's pro. So the original AirPods were great, but the pro their magic. It blows my mind every time I put them in and turn on the little noise canceling thing.
Speaker 5: No, tiny, little earbuds that have no.
Speaker 1: Kind of seal around the ear should knock out the sound of the world around you as well as they do.
Speaker 5: And it just boggles my.
Speaker 1: Mind every time you get really jaded after a certain time as a tech reporter or a journalist, when you get sent all of these things to play with and you know, you have to sit through our long presentations about how this new gadget's going to change the world and change how you see the world, and then you spend five minutes with it and go, eh, that's all right, I guess. But for me, the Airpod's pro was still that kind of like I don't know. I open them up and I'm like, wow, that's kind of magic. I don't know how they do that.
Speaker 2: Is that fun? Just being sent free gadgets? I feel like that would be living the dream.
Speaker 5: Oh totally.
Speaker 1: Back when I was writing a weekly column tech column for SMH, companies would actually just send me stuff without even telling me that they were going to so like I would just there was just this constant stream of like brown boxes arriving on my doorstep and it was like Christmas. Every day. I'm like, I wonder what's in this? And yeah, so that was really really fun. I'm happy for people to continue to do that.
Speaker 2: If you're listening, Oh my goodness, how do I get a job as a tech reporter, Peter? You me?
Speaker 5: It took a hell of long time.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, that tell me one other gud Because I've got a pair of epop pros and I love them. But I feel like with my AirPods, and this is a running joke with my friends that I would speak to quite regularly, that there's always just that moment of hang on, hang on, wait, wait for the air pods to connect. How the AirPods aren't working? Oh, why aren't they sinking? Let me call you back.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Feel like there's that moment that would be my one complaint with any like the air AirPods or the airpop pros.
Speaker 5: I find Oh no, totally.
Speaker 1: And so I mean, I don't make a hell of a lot of phone calls these days, so I never did.
Speaker 5: I guess I'm much more of a text and a chat kind of person.
Speaker 1: But yeah, when I was at work, when I had like the full time desk job, I would always just have one of the earbuds in the whole time, so that I'd never had that issue of waiting.
Speaker 2: That's a great idea. I like that, And then the other one can be charging and then you can swap it out and you.
Speaker 5: Can still hear everyone in the office.
Speaker 1: And yeah, yeah, it's just a nice way of kind of keeping involved but also having just background noise.
Speaker 2: And yeah, tell me some other gadgets that you're a fan of.
Speaker 1: I think anything that helps me get through my day a little bit more is always something that I love, and me.
Speaker 5: I really love.
Speaker 1: I've got a house full of Google Assistant devices, and you know, some of my friends are use Alexa instead.
Speaker 5: I really like Google's interface.
Speaker 1: I've got one of the screen ones sitting in on my kitchen bench, and you know, when I'm making dinner for myself and it's just showing photos of my kids go by. And then in the morning, I start every morning by kind of making a cup of coffee and just saying good morning to the device. And by the way, always thank you for digital assistants, because when the robots rise up against us, they'll remember the ones who say thank you. And it's just also nice to do in front of your kids. But anyway, when I'm making my coffee, I say, you know, good morning, Assistant, and it will tell me what's on my calendar for the day, It'll tell me what the weather's going to be, and then it plays a couple of those daily short podcasts for me, and it's just a really nice routine to kind of start the day, and that in itself is worth the price.
Speaker 5: I think it was about two hundred bucks.
Speaker 1: For the Google Home Hub is the one I use, but yeah, Amazon has a similar version if you prefer them. It's when technology can kind of step in and fill the gaps because my brain is always mushed most of the time and I have seven hundred things to try to remember. So anything I can offload to a gadget or a device and then know that it's there and I'm going to be able to remember it later.
Speaker 5: They're the gadgets I really.
Speaker 2: Love so with the Google Assistant because I actually I was given one for my birthday, which was a couple of months ago, and I feel like the person that gave it to me is often giving me tips on what to do, but I just wouldn't have known how to get the most out of it. Like even this morning, I was given the tip say to your Google Assistant, Hey Google, good morning, And then it told me all this stuff that was quite helpful. It told me about the weather, it told me some news headlines. It started playing something which I switched off pretty soon after. But it's like, I had no idea it could do that, or that I would even enjoy that, and I did. What do you find are some of the things that you use it for that improve your life even a little bit?
Speaker 1: Absolutely, those kind of routines and so that they're all found under routines within the Google Home app on iOS or Android, So pop on in there. You'll find a bunch of stuff that you may not have thought about. And discoverability of features is always a trick when it comes to software. It's something that all of my friends who developed software for a living, it's the hardest thing for them to to figure out how to present some of the cool stuff there apps too, because you don't want to like throw a whole bunch of did you know this when you first launch an app, because most people will just swipe through it because they want to get to the app. So yeah, it's really hard to figure that kind of stuff out. But yeah, routines is what Google calls them. So for me, I've got a bunch of different routines. I've got too many smart lights. I don't necessarily think they're a great purchase, but I got sucked in and I'm a nerd, so I've got a houseful of smart lights. Anyway, I can say TV time to any of the little speakers around the house and it will dim all of the lights except one that's kind of behind the TV, and that one behind the TV starts to glow purple, which just creates a really nice environment to watch movies and things like that. So, and my daughter loves saying that. Actually, she's a big fan of that. If I say goodbye as I'm leaving the house, it turns off all the lights and turns on the security camera outside. So yeah, just play around with routine, see what you can find.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm still going to do that. I'm excited. I like the sound of your TV light setup. That's really cool. Yeah. I haven't gone down the smart lights route, yet, but maybe one day. How about software, Like, aside from the usual suspects, what do you find software or apps that help you work better and look help in any aspects of life? Really?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm going to say, actually, when we were chatting last week, you mentioned to ever note and it was almost like you mentioned a friend who had passed away, like it was so sad to hear because I've just started a brand new business.
Speaker 5: What I've found in the past is.
Speaker 1: Humans always underestimate how long it takes to do anything, and I'm especially guilty of that. And so whenever I've changed roles, I've found that rescue time.
Speaker 5: Are you familiar with that?
Speaker 2: I am familiar with rescue time, but I imagine a lot of listeners are not so rescue time time tracking software, but can you maybe go into a bit of detailer and also around like what makes it different as well from other options out there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so rescue Time.
Speaker 1: Why I really like it is, first of all, the free tier is pretty much good enough for most people. Unless you're in a team and you really want to understand where everyone is working, then rescue the free tier of rescue time is absolutely fine.
Speaker 5: And I've used it over the years.
Speaker 1: I've never really kind of stuck with it, but whenever I transition into a new role, I always started up because I always realized that whatever I'm trying to do takes way longer or maybe even shorter sometimes but rarely than I expect. And so what I love about Rescue Time it's just a very simple app that lives in the menu bar of your Mac or your PC, and just all it does is just quietly, silently track what you're spending your time in, and it does it in.
Speaker 5: A really good way. I trust the privacy of this service.
Speaker 1: It's been around forever, and you know, there are certain apps that could do the same kind of time tracking that I'd feel less comfortable giving it access to see where I was, what I was doing on my computer all day, whereas, yeah, risky your time. I've really trusted over the years. I think they're good people behind it. So the great thing about it is it's just really simple. It doesn't intrude, It doesn't make you have to remember to set a time or I don't have to think about it. It just sits there and records in the background. So you know, at the end of the day, when I was looking at how long it took me, for instance, to edit a podcast, which is a new task that I'm doing that I haven't done for a very long time. First of all, it's been great to see how much faster I'm getting day by day. But also if you get to the end of the day and you've got twenty things on your to do list and you're disappointed that you only knocked off three or four of them, that can create a real sense of anxiety for me, at least when if I can look back and go, well, hang on a second. According to Rescue Time, seven hours today, I was super productive and I was bouncing around between email and logic, and that sounds to me like I had a fairly busy day. So I'm going to give myself a pass for not ticking off all of the items of my to do list, and maybe tomorrow I'll write a more realistic to do list based on how long it actually takes me to accomplish these tasks.
Speaker 2: That's really interesting using it to give you feedback and help you become more accurate in estimating how long a task takes. I yeah, I've never thought about using time tracking software that way. I did go through a Rescue time stage, I want to say, maybe six months ago. I would like just running some experiments at Inventium around time tracking, and I think I've never found a time tracking system that I've firstly got a lot of value out of and therefore like it hasn't changed my behavior or And look, I do agree with you. Rescue time is good because it does work in the background, so it's relatively straightforward. But yeah, I feel like I haven't cracked that for myself yet, although I know that a lot of guests that I've had on the show have used time tracking in some way to gain insight. But I like what you're saying there in terms of it is good for just reminding you that even if you don't feel like you've gotten through everything you wanted to do, it's still actually been a good and productive and valuable day.
Speaker 1: And I think, especially when everyone is working from home, you might not have the same kind of feedback that you would normally get in an office environment. I think a lot of people are struggling to get through the day and wonder did.
Speaker 5: They actually accomplish anything? You know. It feels like that's.
Speaker 1: Been a big concern for some of the friends I have. Yeah, just during these kind of isolation lockdown months of you know, did I really accomplish a lot?
Speaker 5: Do I get? You know?
Speaker 1: How much more effective am I when say the kids aren't at daycare versus when they are, Like, these are really fascinating things for me to at least track so that I can then look forward and figure out, well, you know, my daughter's going to be home that day, realistically, what can I get done. The other way I used it actually was when I first started out as a macadmin at a university. Again, it was a job i'd never done before. I understood kind of what was behind the job and like what the main tenants of the job were, but I'd never done it, so I didn't really know how long how long each task would take, and so that's why I started to use rescue time. But what I ended up finding was eighty percent of my week was going to packaging apps, which is a boring thing and I won't go into it, but so like I just realized, like that is such a massive chunk of the week, and because of that, I thought, well, that is something I need to learn how to automate.
Speaker 5: And you know, I.
Speaker 1: Gave myself, you know, a couple of weeks to not package anything, to give myself that eighty percent of the time back and figure out a way to automate that task. And you know, three weeks of hard work figuring out how to automate it, I was able to do that, and then suddenly I had eighty percent of my week freed up to do more interesting stuff and to yeah, to look at all the other sections of the job.
Speaker 5: So for rescue time, I think that was the moment where I really really.
Speaker 1: Fell in love with that app because it was like, Okay, you've actually given me eighty percent of my week back for the rest of my time in this role.
Speaker 5: So yeah, that was incredibly valuable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's amazing. I want to come back to automation, But first, what other software are you finding really helpful?
Speaker 5: I guess the one thing I would mention is if this then that, which is.
Speaker 1: Software that kind of pulls together like it it runs in the background to kind of try to pull off that ever note idea of like the one spot to look for. Basically you can set up if this then that, And there's a couple of other similar software out there. Is that like ZPR Yeah, zebiers is is the kind of the more polished version.
Speaker 5: I guess.
Speaker 1: So I've just been using this then that for so long that that's where all my little formulas are so for instance, going back to Rescue Time each evening, where Rescue Time will send my report to Google Calendar, so I can.
Speaker 5: See how I did that day.
Speaker 1: And if I create something in to dost as you know, this is a task that I need to do today, then it will pop that into my Google calendar as a thirty minute chunk somewhere. But yeah, yeah, so little things like that. So again it's it's automation. Really, it's that same idea of like, I don't want to have to do the you know, input the same data into multiple apps. I don't want to have to remind myself to track certain things, and so instead my to do list is talking to my calendar, My calendar is talking to rescue time, Rescue Time is talking to whatever, and so yeah, all of these things are kind of working in the background so I don't have to think about it.
Speaker 2: That's really cool. And so for listeners that maybe haven't done much in the way of automation or haven't used Zapier or Zapier, is it zaper or Zapier, I.
Speaker 5: Have no idea. I think it's no idea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I call it Zapier. But if they haven't used like software that essentially helps one application talk to another application. How should people be thinking about this in terms of automating some of the tasks and I guess regular things that they have to do.
Speaker 1: I guess the first thing I would say is don't over complicate things. I even though I've been using this and that for almost a decade, I would imagine I only have like a couple of rules because you don't want to create an endless loop between applications.
Speaker 5: So just think of, like, what is the one.
Speaker 1: Or two things that you would love to see happening in whatever it is, whether it be to say, if you want to see your to do items as all day events in your calendar, then combine those two services and see.
Speaker 5: If that works for you.
Speaker 1: In terms of automation, though I would say more of it's not just like software like if this then that, or like I don't want to get too nerdy here, even though obviously.
Speaker 3: No please get nerdy.
Speaker 1: Well, I just think that, like, no matter what the role you're doing is, whether you're working as an academic, you know, I previously worked at a university as tech support, and a lot of my day was trying to help people automate their tasks and not using specific software, but just like saying, okay.
Speaker 5: You need you know, if you.
Speaker 1: Need to prep for a lecture that you're get, what are the things that you need to do all the time that you can just put into a bucket like whatever it is, whether it's just a note, tapp or a whatever, that you've got a list that you can just always refer back to, so you never have to have that mental energy of going through these tasks that.
Speaker 5: You do every day. And so that's what I'd be looking for.
Speaker 1: The other thing I would say, actually, and this is probably not the answer you would expect from it like a nerdy person, But what I found when I was trying to automate those tasks that I was talking about in my old job, the first thing I did was like look up conferences and people speaking about that exact issue, because I realized that, like, if I'm seeing this as a total pain in my day, that I'm spending way too much of my day doing this, someone else much smarter than me has already thought of that and has probably come up with solutions. So rather than try to rebuild from scratch, I'm going to find someone smarter out there who's already tackled this problem. And that's where I was able to find a whole bunch of resources on how to automate my day whatever your role is, whatever your day to day role is, go to YouTube and look for previous conferences of your area and see if someone else has kind of come up with that. For me, because I was working in a very nerdy area, you know, GitHub was a great great resource there of so, GitHub, if you don't know, is a website where people share programming knowledge and skills and scripts that they've written. And so I was able to find computer programs out there that were doing like eighty percent of what I wanted them to do. And I guess being a journalist and on the one hand really helped in this that I was never embarrassed to just like I find out what their contact details were, and I'd just email them and say, hey, I saw this thing that you did, and it's so cool and it's so close to what I want, but I would love it if it just did this as well. I have no idea how to make that happen, though, but wouldn't that be cool? And a lot of the time they just replied back. I Oh yeah, I didn't think of that.
Speaker 5: That actually be cool.
Speaker 1: Here's how you do it, and between the pair of us, we would come up with this new system that would make both our lives easier. So I've never been afraid to kind of reach out to other people doing the similar job that I'm doing and just quiz them and like, what do you do? How do you use the you know, before we started recording, we were chatting about how we do backup audio recording. The amount of times I've sent my little screenshot of like, here's how I back up the audio that I'm recording so I never lose it to other podcasters out there, because I know what a pain it is.
Speaker 5: I know how awful it is to lose audio, and.
Speaker 1: So if I can share that and make someone's life a little bit easier than I'm more than happy to.
Speaker 2: That's cool. And I like the idea of just googling how can I automate X? You know, whatever X is. I reckon, I'm actually going to do that for a few things in my life. I do want to talk about podcasting, and I am curious as to how you approach your podcast behind the scenes. So at the moment and You've got a podcast called Meta, which is an interview style podcast where you talk to quite high profile podcasters about podcasting, and that is how we originally connected. And you've also recently launched a daily podcast to help desk And I want to know how are you thinking, like particularly with the daily podcast, Like what processes have you got or like, you know, do you use batching for any task? Because I must say, like, even though the irony is like I host a podcast How I Work, which is all about productivity and being more efficient and optimizing your day and stuff, but I do feel a bit disorganized around my processes with How I Work, Like I don't batch where I should batch. I delegate some things, but not enough. I'm currently thinking about, oh do I actually get a producer to offload a lot of other tasks that I'm doing, particularly now after starting a second podcast, how to Date. So what can you teach me? How can you help me make my podcast world better?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Look, it's a tricky one.
Speaker 1: If you've never recorded a podcast before, you may not understand just how much time and effort goes into it. Like, you know, I guess that forty minute show that you're listening to probably has about three or four hours of prep before it and maybe two three hours of post production after it, and so yeah, so again I made sure that I factored all of that in and before I started the Daily Show, I emailed the squeaz Do, a fantastic daily news podcast. I listened to a whole bunch of different daily podcasts and kind of got an idea of what works and what does and in terms of structure, and then yeah, I just emailed a bunch of them, like I emailed The Squeeze, emailed Corona Cast. I emailed the hosts of seven Am and just said, am I insane for thinking of studying is by myself without any kind of production behind it?
Speaker 2: And what did they say? Did they say, yes, you are insane?
Speaker 1: Some did, some did, but no, no, I mean the Squeeze. One of the reasons I keep mentioning them is that they were super supportive and just said, look, you know, the first couple of weeks will absolutely kill you, but once you get past that, you'll be okay. And so because of that, I made sure that we started actually rehearsing the Daily Show about three weeks before we went live with it. And so we weren't doing it every day, but three times a week. We just I'd write up the show notes as if it was going to be a published show. We'd sit down, we'd record, and then I'd edit it as if it was going to go out, and just so again so I could have an understanding before we went live of how long is this actually going to take?
Speaker 2: Me?
Speaker 5: Can I fit this into my day?
Speaker 1: And so yeah, So it really was a lot of I guess pre production a lot more than say Meta, which I felt more comfortable with because it was more of a spin off of the column that I was already writing for SMH. So it just felt like a value add to the SMH column as opposed to the help disc which was its own giant thing.
Speaker 2: With Meta, like you've had some great guests on Meta, How do you decide which podcasts to cover? How do you discover new podcasts?
Speaker 1: A lot of the way I discover them is opening my email and seeing pictures. I get a lot of pictures each week of there are so many new podcasts coming out, and I wish just stop doing the interview one for a while, let me matter find its audience, and then you can go back to you some the amount of times I open on my email and it's like, oh, that person from that.
Speaker 5: Radio show has launched a brand new show just.
Speaker 1: Like yours anyway, but yees. So for me, I mean, I do love podcasts. That's that's why I make the show. That's why I wrote the column to begin with, and so I am always excited to find a new show that I love, so a lot of the time it's recommendations from friends things like that.
Speaker 5: In terms of how I.
Speaker 1: Structure the show, it's the same way I structured the column, which was when I first started, I had no idea what I was doing, and then finally I just hit me like, oh yeah, like podcasters are really good storytellers, Like that's why they do it, so shut up, let them talk and then pop their words into the paper. And that's been my theory when it comes to editing meta as well, is that as much as possible, I take all of my stuff out, like all of my arms and okay, yeah, tell me more about that. I cut all of that, and just as much as possible, let the podcaster talk to the audience, because I think that's the best way that someone listening will discover whether they want to hear more from the show or not. And I guess the overarching idea as well is just to ensure that there's a really great mix of both content and where the content comes from. So if I interview someone from the ABC one day, then the next interview I want to be a completely independent podcast. The next one after that might be someone from the New York Times that I try my best to mix that up as well, So I might have a productivity expert on one day and then follow up with a Corona cast and then follow that up with a stand up comedian.
Speaker 2: And what's your approach to interviewing people, because like my experience, so for context, you interviewed me on the show a week ago. We just started talking and I could say that it was recording, but in the back of my mind, I was like, oh, have we started yet, So it was kind of like this really casual, like kind of okay, no, I think we have I think this is it, And so there was no like official, oh, welcome to the show, kind of being like just my default with how I work after I've had a little chat before I hit record, And it was really it was very comfortable. It was like a conversation and very easy, and I'm sure that like a lot of thought goes into that. So I was curious, how do you prepare for your interviews and have that very natural kind of style which you do.
Speaker 1: In terms of how I prep what I've found over the years is if I go into an interview either over prepared or underprepared, it tends to be an interview that I don't really enjoy after the fact. So what I tend to do now is a couple of days before I'm going to interview someone, I'll really deep dive into what their podcast is or what their background is, and I'll just open up the notes app in mac os by way, just because it sinks to everything. So I'll open up a really simple note app and I'll write as many kind of questions and thoughts that I have as if I was, you know, interviewing the person just then and there. And I find that that's a really good way of putting down all of the thoughts that I have, thinking up all of the questions I might want to ask, and then I rarely look at those all of those notes, and you know, it could be I could end up writing six hundred words in terms of questions and things like that, and then I might never refer to them in the in the chat that we have, but by thinking out loud about them and writing them down, they're kind of there in the background if I need them. So the way I prefer to do it is kind of be as prepared as possible a couple of days beforehand, and then let that kind of sink in and possibly even forget it. And you know, it ends up being that sometimes I'll I'll listen back and I'll think, oh, I can't wait till I ask this question.
Speaker 5: Oh, that's right. I didn't ask the question. I just wrote it down, but I forgot to.
Speaker 1: But most of the time that's fine because instead I asked a more interesting question because I let the conversation flow.
Speaker 2: That's nice. I like that idea of not being over or underprepared. Yes, I feel like I could learn something from that. And I'm curious, because you must get pitched.
Speaker 5: To a lot.
Speaker 2: How how do you decide? Because I could definitely relate to that. I get pitches every single day of the week for how I work, and multiple times a day. Do you have any kind of quick rules of farmers to how you kind of at least give a quick no or a quick yes.
Speaker 1: Even yeah, that's that's a really hard one, isn't it, Because you don't want to You don't want to send a no straight away, but then you also don't want to leave someone hanging. So I use just to go back to software for a second, I use Spark as my email client, which most most modern email clients these days have some kind of snooze function. And if it's and so it has, it has snooze. I'm actually I'm not one hundred percent behind Spark, And if you've never used it before, I would say it's it is very confusing for new players. I've recommended it to a bunch of people, and I know that it either gels with you or it doesn't. So take take that, you know, as advanced warning. But anyway, it kind of works for me. And so if someone sends through a pitch that either it's a show I've never heard about, so I don't want to answer straight away anyway until I've had a chance to at least listen to a little bit. Then I'll hit snooze until I've got more time to ponder whether that's a show that I think would work for the format. But also, I mean the thing I've I've had to say to many indies, and if you're listening out there and you're an independent podcast, for the love of God, have a trailer. You know the amount of times I get asked to listen to a show or you know, oh you would love this show, blah blah blah, and then I look at the website and there's like, you know, six hundred episodes and where do you start there?
Speaker 5: So, if you're going to pitch to me, please, first of all, have a trailer.
Speaker 1: Second of all, have not just a trailer, but say if you're a discussion show like this one, then say, hey, I really love you to listen to the discussion we had with so and so, especially the seventeen minute mark. I feel, really, you know, boils down what I try to pull off on this show.
Speaker 5: Like it's just a really great example of when myself and a guest click and so, you know, give me a call to action to help me kind of discover your show and discover what's great about your show.
Speaker 2: I think that's very useful, just useful advice for people that are trying to pitch an idea anywhere, like to you know, to their boss, to client, a potential customer. Just make it easy for the person and obviously put yourself in their shoes, because I can imagine that, like gosh, where do you start? Where there is that huge back catalog, and I just get such a wide range of quality in terms of pitches and how pr folk and guests that are pitching themselves directly do things like where Like so a few I'm noticing will sort of open with a bit of a context paragraph like you know, in today's world blah blah blah, and it's like, no, no, no, I know today's Well, just please get on the guest and what value they could add to listeners. So yeah, anyway, we nearly at a time. I do want to know, though, like what are your go to websites or newsletters that you'll subscribe to, particularly just stay on top of the latest tech news and stuff that is going on in the world.
Speaker 1: Well, the help desk, if you want to hear just ten minutes a day about technology, we'll do our best. It depends, it depends what you're after. So a good friend of mine writes a newsless called The Sizzle at the Sizzle dot Com tod au and it is the funniest look at technology that you will read. It's five bucks a month. It has a lot of swearing in it. If that will put you off, but it is. It is just beautifully acerbic writing about technology and companies, and yeah, I love it. It comes out every afternoon. I follow a lot of people on Twitter, and the ones that I trust. If I see those people talking about an issue, then generally then that is something that I normally want to follow up on. So yeah, a lot a lot of it these days kind of comes from seeing what other people are talking about on Twitter and engaging reactions that way, I guess, And.
Speaker 2: Any noteworthy Twitter accounts that you want to mention.
Speaker 5: Oh gosh, all right.
Speaker 1: I love John Syracusa is an American technology writer and reviewer. He's been doing a few year. I absolutely love his Twitter feed. I think it's one of the best. So that is at Syracusa. I'll send you the link so you can pop it in the show notes. But yeah, he's wonderful. My colleagues at smah or are all very good, So Tim Biggs and Alice Clark and Adam Turner are all worth a follow and you'll see us every now and again kind of work shopping an idea, you know, like in the lead up to the Apple event, you'll you know, you might see us in a long thread talking about what we think the prices are going to be or how we think Apple are going to pitch certain things. So, yeah, that could be interesting if you if you want to see how the sausage is made.
Speaker 2: What are your favorite podcasts at the moment, given that you sample so many.
Speaker 1: The one I always I always mention as as just a gem that I don't think enough people listen to is Oer with Ross and Kerry, which is an indie show out of the States, and they look at various kind of fringe science and fringe you know, I don't want to go into it too much, but anyway, they will look at for instance, they did a study on scientology. Now that sounds very dry and boring, and you've heard that one hundred times, but what makes this show different is they actually go out and try to you know, for the scientology one, they both signed up for scientology and both did like a four month course, spent a lot of money going through every level of scientology and then reporting back on it, and so it became this ten part Yeah, it became these ten part series. And they've also just got the greatest chemistry between them. They're super funny, they're lovely people, and so they're as generous and as fair as they can be about the subjects that they tackle, but then they do it in such an incredible deep dive way. And so they you know, they did another one where like a five part series on flat Earth where they just went to all the different flat Earth conferences and spoke to people, you know, as if they really wanted to believe this theory and then reported back.
Speaker 5: But they're the long investigations they've done.
Speaker 1: But every week they'll do a great little one off show as well about I think the latest one was how would a scientist react to Donald Trump's reelection? Which is fascinating on many levels.
Speaker 2: That's awesome. I'm so going to link to that in the show notes. And final question for you, Peter, if people want to consume more of what you're doing and producing in the world, what is the best way for listeners.
Speaker 3: To do that?
Speaker 1: Follow me on Twitter, I guess, or if you don't like Twitter, I promise the websites will be done by the time you give this, so that would be metapodcast.
Speaker 5: Dot net and the Helpdesk podcast dot net.
Speaker 2: Fantastic and your Twitter handle. I want to say, is at Peter Wells.
Speaker 5: It is? It is. I'm very old and I got there.
Speaker 2: Early, so well I got at Amantha, So there you go.
Speaker 5: Oh no, it's nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, I know. Well, Peter, it has been wonderful chatting. Thank you so much for coming on the show.
Speaker 5: Oh, thank you so much. I really really enjoyed the show. So thank you.
Speaker 4: That is it for today's show. I hope you liked it.
Speaker 2: It certainly inspired me to think about my whole processes for doing this podcast, which are really not that efficient. And yeah, literally, as a result of this interview, I've listened out every single step that I go through for this podcast, and I've thought about what can I automate, what can I delegate, and what do I still do myself. So it's a work in progress, but it's definitely getting better. And if you are enjoying how I work, why not leave a review in Apple Podcasts or wherever you listen to this show. And thank you to the four hundred plus people that have left reviews. And mostly five stars. You guys are awesome, so huge. Thank you and to those who have written some love kind words. I do read all of the reviews and it really does make my day, so thank.
Speaker 3: You so much.
Speaker 4: So that is it for today's show and I will see you next time.