Speaker 1: I Heeart podcasts. You can hear more gold one I four point three podcasts, playlist and listen live on the free iHeart app.
Speaker 2: Got anything good?
Speaker 1: Hey, this is the Christian O'Connell show podcast. Let's get into this weeks What are the odds? Let's go believe it or not?
Speaker 3: What are the odds?
Speaker 1: You gotta be justhing me.
Speaker 2: Like we were you with Cheryl who married a Hun?
Speaker 4: Who wor was weird?
Speaker 1: The Cheryl married a Hunt as well? Previously on What Are the Odds?
Speaker 5: Ten years ago, I decided to take my little child to the Grampians who were splicing around in the Little Pools area, and my son lost his dummy. Last weekend we actually went back to the same fools with another son of Morne and Lo and behold, I'm having to find my son's dummy.
Speaker 6: I have three brothers, Peter, Greg and Shane. My ex husband was Peter, my next partner was Shane, and now I'm looking for it Greg.
Speaker 3: I moved to Australia from New Zealand and I had to get a criminal check for work and it turns out there's a go in Australia with his zo name and birthday as me and sure criminal.
Speaker 1: Sure, all right, mape that old chest snap another first on the police. I've heard that, little cutie. What are the odds? Team? What are the odds? The odds line is open right now. Thirteen fifty five, twenty two. This is a sweet bit, a sweet one from Ella. She just emailed it into in the last half an hour and I really appreciate her sharing it with this.
Speaker 4: Christiana.
Speaker 1: What my home? Twenty two years ago? Last Friday, my sixteen year old dog passed away. I had to find the perfect and beautiful spot in my ear to bury my beautiful dog. I asked my four adult and teenage kids to come back around out dig the whole. But a foot in, my eldest son yelled out, there's a bag in the hole.
Speaker 4: Christian. There was a plastic bag in the hole.
Speaker 1: He continued to carefully dig and retrieved an intact, black, small plastic garbage bag sealed with a cable tie.
Speaker 4: It was heavy. Oh, whatever was in it.
Speaker 1: We brought it inside with thinking is this cash, valiables, jewelry ripped over in the bag?
Speaker 4: It was the body of another dog. Ah buried there?
Speaker 1: Yes, what are the odds?
Speaker 4: Christian? I dug up somebody else's small dog.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's cat. We didn't have time to examine the remains, so we dug another hole extra deep, three feet down and both dogs are now buried in the same hole. A sweet on the other side.
Speaker 4: They're playing together.
Speaker 1: Maybe they're reunited.
Speaker 4: We don't know.
Speaker 1: The souls are back together beautiful anyway. Yeah, thank you very much for showing that, and I'm very sorry for the loss of your beautiful dog. Thank you very much for the photo there. Good to see your mankey are feet in that photos? The first school of scale, madam, if you don't mind, needs to get those bunnions done. But listen, thank you. What are the odd scale?
Speaker 4: Christian?
Speaker 1: I recently got back from a road trip around your motherland Island or But you're a lovely time girl. I'd see during the day and drive in the late afternoon to arrive at the next destination. I hadn't preplanned my trip, just stopping at places that interested me. I stopped at Waterford, Waterford's Stunning. One night, I decided to go to a restaurant. It was late. I was shown to my table. I looked out from the table diagonally opposite me, who were waving at me frantically. It was the family from the school my teach hat Oh my god, what side of the world in a place called Waterford.
Speaker 4: It's not very big.
Speaker 1: And the family you teach in Australia are the other souther at the same time, in the same restaurant, in the same part of Western Island. That is crazy.
Speaker 2: There has to see a word that explains that phenomenon of people seeing other people.
Speaker 1: In the You need to find the word that is phenomenonon. It explains that phenomenon, phenomenon, phenomenon. No, Caitlin can't say the word phenomenon, phenomenon. Now I've got it from you. You've cursed me because I said, what about if you have bad luck this Friday? Head?
Speaker 4: Are you wedding?
Speaker 1: You're throwing up. I can't say phenomenon, phenomenon, phenomenon, phenomenon. Have I said it right?
Speaker 2: No, phenomenon phenomenon.
Speaker 1: That's just nailed that.
Speaker 4: That's a journalist. It's a phenomenon. No, No, you're not saying it wrong. What do you know the word?
Speaker 1: I struggle with and I noticed a lot of people do tell me that you've just edited.
Speaker 4: It a video.
Speaker 6: Can you do it edited?
Speaker 1: You nailed it.
Speaker 4: I can't say I've just edited it? What am I doing this?
Speaker 1: About eighty seven? In there?
Speaker 4: Go into a remix?
Speaker 1: A mash up? Perhaps? Can you tell me that you've just chopped up a video edited? But Cattlery is my.
Speaker 4: Honey. We'll have these little glitches.
Speaker 1: Yeah, cuttle guys, I believe it all right. The odds sign is open. Now let's get your calls. The Christian O'Connell show podcast. We do this every Wednesday. We call it what are the odds? You can call me? Thirteen fifty five twenty two. How we got here?
Speaker 4: Ruth? Good morning, Ruth, welcome to the show.
Speaker 7: Oh, good morning, how are you?
Speaker 1: I'm good?
Speaker 4: Thank you very much. You give us a call with this story? Off you go, Ruth.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 7: I've been married to my husband twenty five years. My name is Ruth Angela and he was previously married to another Ruth Angela. How many times do you meet Ruth Angela? Lit alone? Marry them? He begame with an if for Fred the same as mine.
Speaker 1: This is a big one. Both of his wives exactly exactly the same name.
Speaker 7: Ruth Angela, that their last names both started with F. But there were different surnames.
Speaker 5: Still impressive.
Speaker 4: It's still very very impressive.
Speaker 7: So my second my surno now begins with Tea. So I'm the second rat Rat.
Speaker 1: That's were you the love rat? Ye? All right, Ruth, thank you very much for going us skill my have a good day.
Speaker 7: Okay, thank you.
Speaker 1: Bye, Liz, come on and Liz, welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: Good morning, Thank you for having me my pleasure.
Speaker 1: Now, Liz, what is your story? What are.
Speaker 2: What are theys?
Speaker 1: You got? My friend?
Speaker 2: Fourteen years ago, I had my beautiful daughter and sadly I ended up with postnal depression and ended up in a mother and baby unit in Melbourne for five weeks. We're seeing a psychologist there beautiful support staff. And had mentioned to him that I was reading a particular book helping her settle. And he said, yes, I've heard of this book. Many of my patients have told me about this book. I don't agree with the book. If you ever happen to see this lady the author throw the book at her. Fourteen years later, kids and I are at the shopping center. My daughter, like I said, is now fourteen. I've got a son that's eleven. This lady's screaming out to us. Excuse me, excuse me. You wouldn't believe it. It happened to be the author of the book. I'm not kidding. If I had the book in my you know, carried it for fourteen years, I would have thrown it at her as directed. But yeah, she said to me that she recognized my face. In Geelong, we had the corpse flower blooming. I'm not sure if people remember that. Oh, like and I late last year, kids and I, yeah, correct, Kids and I were sitting there. Happened to be sitting on a park bench there, just in front of the flower, and they were live streaming it. She said to me, you're the lady that was sitting in front of that flower blocking my view. Because I was overseas at the time, so she was trying to sort of say to me, you're that lady, whereas I want to say to her, hang on a minute, you're that lady.
Speaker 4: It's a battle of that lady.
Speaker 2: It was the battle of that ladies. And I still to this day cannot believe that fourteen years later, I actually cross paths with the author. I didn't say anything to her, but yeah, but what are the odds are I couldn't believe it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know what, I don't think that your mum us get enough support for post natal depression.
Speaker 2: Oh look, I agree.
Speaker 1: You felt like you had to say that sadly you got that.
Speaker 4: There's nothing for you to say sadly about that. My wife.
Speaker 1: No, you're exactly right, and there's not enough support. There's way too much shame. Women have so much shame about things that happened to them. Us guys have got no idea what it's like to go through. We don't have no idea. And I think it's really really sad that people feel like they have to almost apologize or feel awkward saying that this happened to me when there's so much going on physically, emostly absolute bodies.
Speaker 4: It's an incredible thing you go through.
Speaker 2: I couldn't agree and look as funny as it sounds, and say to people it was the best thing that ever happened because I managed to get the most amazing, amazing support, right, And like you say, you just don't know. It could be you know, the lady next door, you know, if she's having problems or you're not seeing her as often. You know, she's had a baby, reach out, reach out, reach out to a sister. Honestly, it's it's you know, it's very important.
Speaker 1: It's a lot of mums I guess if they if they they're wired that if they say I've got post natal depression, what it is because everyone goes.
Speaker 4: Oh, it's the best, You're so lucky America, both and all.
Speaker 1: That's true, but what it does is to create this terrible pressure. Imagine around you mums where very don't feel they can moan about anything because everything's amazing, very lucky to have a healthy baby. And that's true, but it's like so many women I guess struggle silently where they don't feel that they could speak out about it. They feel a shame.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And if I heard I remember thinking to myself, if I heard one more person say to me, just rest when the baby rest, oh, I wanted to slap them with that.
Speaker 1: Damn what if they don't sleep or they say for three minutes?
Speaker 2: Correct? Correct? Absolutely absolutely?
Speaker 1: And also what a lovely way to reframe something that would have been really tough for you as actually it was buried in there. It was a gift as well, that gave you something.
Speaker 2: It was definitely a gift that the support that I had because it was very sort of you know, scary, you don't you don't realize that, oh, this isn't normal, and that the support I had, you know, at the facility was truly amazing.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: Shout out to the people that do support women with you know, mental health and postn ol depression. They do a fantastic job, a fantastic job.
Speaker 4: Well, thank you very much for reminding us actually to.
Speaker 1: Look around with Thank you for your kitty. No, it was a lovely chat to you Liz as well. Thanks to corn I have a lovely day.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Take a guy. The Christian O'Connell show podcast