Speaker 1: Flex and Frooms, Flex and Frooms. This is the Flex and Frooms catch up podcast.
Speaker 2: Flex and Frooms on CATA. It's time we settle this debate once and for all. We're in the mood to get a bit spicy. We're in the mood to say exactly how we feel, and we're in the mood to pick a side of an argument.
Speaker 1: We're not doing.
Speaker 2: Oh, I could even the circumstance and no them. When someone says to you, only you could pull that off. Is it a compliment or is it well and truly a bit of a diss And I asked this because I saw it on an influencer's Instagram. I don't know if they want to be named, because I think this might have been like a personal scenario whatever, But I saw it an influencer's TikTok. I could tell that they thought that it was a disc but they poled their audience and it was pretty much fifty to fifty with people saying, Oh, it's definitely a dis It's someone kind of finding a way to point out that you look different without being rude, without saying what they really think, That your shoes are ugly or I don't like your hair. Only you could pull that off is what they say. But the other half was saying, no, it's an actual acknowledgment of the fact that you're wearing something that's daring and challenging, and many people wouldn't do that, and it takes a certain amount of confidence or conviction to do that. Now, before we say whether it's a disc or not a disc, I want to understand what do we actually think people mean when they say, only you could pull this off? Because I feel like we'd be tempted to say, oh, they're saying exactly what they mean. People never say exactly what they do ever, ever, ever, ever, ever in history. There's one thing about people. They're going to skirt around a phrase to get to the center of what they're trying to communicate.
Speaker 1: Have you used the phrase before, girlies, No, babe used against me. Oh, we've all been victims to only you could pull it's a quirky girl.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've definitely you've used it. Oh no, it's been used on me.
Speaker 1: But you have you used it? No?
Speaker 2: I would never say we like it a simple you look good?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I keep it it.
Speaker 2: Wow, you're glowing.
Speaker 1: Wow, I love this. Today we aways have that from.
Speaker 2: Where is that from?
Speaker 1: It's always I'd never wear it.
Speaker 2: But is it archives or can we go on funny class school?
Speaker 1: Is this your old uniform?
Speaker 2: I am tempted to say compliments broadly are rarely used for their primary intention. What I mean by that is you would think a compliment is just someone acknowledging that you look amazing and they want to impart some some pleasure into your life for a day, when realistically, I think a lot of people use compliments as a social lubricant to feel less awkward, to kind of like gain social standing. If I compliment you, it means I'm aligning with you. It's good for optics if it looks like I'm on your team and on your side. Some might say that's really Ciniston. Nobody thinks that deeply, That's what I'm saying. All your best and worst characteristics are subconscious, but you just happen to be here. Now, what I will say is I think it's a bit of a diss but I would always taken as a compliment.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, so you're putting it on its head, yeah, because.
Speaker 2: What like what does it serve me to be like someone being like oh like literally like when I used to wear heaps of colored wigs and do crazy makeup and like really go hectic with the outfit. It was the number one compliment, And I get what people were saying, Yes, you are probably the only person I've seen look like this where I'm from, and based on how you're presenting it, maybe you're the only person could pull it off. But for me to now challenge what this person is intending to be a compliment, I don't have enough hours in the day. Just take the compliment and go, Okay, that's.
Speaker 1: Quite like a self preservational one.
Speaker 2: Hundred percent, And it's all about self preservation for me anyway.
Speaker 1: I take it as like you're running through and dried up. Like when someone says that to me, I'm like, you're you're basic. Oh you know what I'm saying. It's that whole Like I used to I had short hair for like my whole life, my whole life since.
Speaker 2: It was like a number one platinum blonde.
Speaker 1: Now that almost bald. That was when I was getting there. Only you can pull it off. And they do say that it takes a certain type of person to pull off a bald head, and I will say I was doing it with Stalin Eese. But it's a.
Speaker 2: Difference in saying you look really good with that haircut. Yeah, only you could pull that off, because you're insinuating that it's not very good, but you make it look good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what it's insinuating. I mean, no, I think it'd be more savage if I had a really ugly haircut and people like only you can pull that off.
Speaker 2: Where it's like, but how do we know, Well, every person who loves a mullet, there are people who are like, ill, it's a mullet.
Speaker 1: Totally, but the shaved head thing, it's like double layered. Because I'm a woman and like having short hair and as a woman is seen as sometimes as like a political statement or like was it for you?
Speaker 2: Nah?
Speaker 1: I just I just have like really thing hair. So ah, yeah, said, I'll take the statement. I took it, and I'll took I'll take yeah, of course take the statement. Also, I understand it because a lot of people, particularly like women, have emotional connections to their hair. So I can stand how someone's like, that's did you right?
Speaker 2: No, I just know, but you were even saying, like going from blonde to brunette.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that is the blonde to the brunette hair generally no, no cut it off. You've been listening to The Flex and Froom's daily podcast. For more, Tune Indicator on D A B or stream it on iHeartRadio.