Speaker 1: Hi everyone, and welcome to another episode of the sit Down. I'm Matt Trolope from ozopen dot Com.
Speaker 2: And I'm viv Christie from Australian Tennis magazine and Matt. This week we delve into the life of an award winning tennis photographer who is currently hard at work at Roland Garross. Tell us more about your interview with Krinjibra.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was great to chat to her just before Roland Garross qualifying started, So she's doing i think her thirty eighth consecutive Roland Garross working for the French Tennis Federation Photography Team. I was lucky enough for a couple of years to work with Karin when I did some work with the FFT. One of the best tennis photographers in the world and has won lots of awards, and I was very lucky to get a little bit of window, a free time for her because it's coming into a busy period.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a fascinating interview. Karinn starts by telling us how she got started in her dream tennis career.
Speaker 1: Can you take us back to nineteen eighty seven. What do you remember about your first Roland Garross.
Speaker 3: So eighty seven. I was sixteen years old, so at this time it was very easy to buy tickets. You know, to have a general ticket to be able to go on nearly every court. So I bought my ticket, took my camera with me, and I went to Onlong House. I was living in the suburb of Paris, so I took the train and everything. When I arrived, I remember that I went to the corner Merojuan number one court, who is not there anymore. I loved that court. It was one of the best, maybe the best in the world. And at that time, Chris Evart, Chris Evert was playing on that court, and I was watching her and said, wow, I like her. She's great. And at the end of the match, I said, okay, I would like to get an autograph from her. But I didn't know how, so I tried to know where she was staying in Paris. I found it. I found a hotel. I went there. I was waiting with other people, and then she when she arrived and I asked her an autograph and everything, and then I don't know how, we started to talk and every day more and at the end of the tournament, I got her shoes from her last match in Rongos. She gave me her shoes, and she gave me a phone number in Florida, and like this, I was able to call her like hello, this is Coren from Paris to get tickets to go anywhere. So I went to Wimbledon, to US Open, to Germany, and Christy gave me tickets to enter the tournaments. That's how it started. And when I was traveling to tournaments, I was taking pictures okay, of players at practice on court, and I was selling that pictures through a little how do you say in magazine? You could put some word and say selling Diffron ten Francs or pictures, pictures of Agacy, graph Baker, Chris Evert and everything. And with that money I was able to travel.
Speaker 1: Wow, it is a fantastic story. I read that even earlier, when you were fourteen, I think you were Were you playing tennis as a teenager and you wanted to be a photographer? Is that correct?
Speaker 3: Yes, that's correct. I think I started playing badly tennis at six or seven. I spent all my weekends and at the tennis club. You know, I loved the game and play in a team or individual or everything. I loved the competition, but I was not good. And my uncle was a photographer, but not professional, just amateur. And when I was like, I think around eleven, he just gave me his camera and I said, wow, that's nice. Nice, this toy is amazing. I can change the lands. And and I remember really that I went to my parents and said, I will be a tennis photograph. Yes, I will be a tennis photographer. That's what I want to do. And years after the dream came true, and yeah, that's that's swet. I was eleven, I think when I told my parents what I would like to do in my life. Because after eighty seven I was still going to school, of course, but I was so so and I badly wanted to make my dream come true to be a photographer. So, as I told you, I traveled a lot, not a lot, but a little, you know, in Berlin US opening staff and I was taking pictures and one day I met a guy who was working at the French tennis magazine and he said, he told me, why don't you bring your pictures to the magazine and you will see what happened. So that's what I did in eighty seven, and my pictures were published few of them at the beginning, one by one, one by one. And three years after, in nineteen ninety, I had a phone call from Tennis Magazine saying, Colin, we have a job for you if you want to be a photographer and also an editor. It starts in September ninety. So if you want, that's for you, I say, but this is my train. So I went to the US Open in ninety nineteen nineteen, and when I come back, I remember that my mother came to the airport and drove me directly to Tennis Magazine. So I started my job at Tennis Magazine. I was nineteen years old. I stayed there for thirty years. I learned everything with another guy, which name is ser He was like my mentor. And after thirteen years, for different reasons, I really thought that's the time to live and to go by yourself. That's what I did and since then, So it was in twenty or three. At the end of twenty or three, I started to be freelance. And I'm still freelance.
Speaker 1: And you're still freelancing. Oh, it's incredible. I love. Not many people can say they are living their dream.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I mean sometimes you get bored with work with it's hard, it's long days. But I say, please quiet, you're living your dream. Don't forget that. That's so amazing to be able to leave your dream. So no, I know I'm lucky, but it didn't happen Like you know, I push to be there. I mean I did what I had to do to be where I am.
Speaker 1: Today, and you worked hard to make it happen. It doesn't just land in your lap. I know you've done other projects and worked in other spaces, but tennis is your main one. So what is it about tennis that captivates you?
Speaker 3: I love the game first, and I think sports in general brings you emotion, like emotion you can get in your life, and tennis because that was the sport I was doing. So I like the emotion and I like the players. I like the game and the emotion that that specific sport brings you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's amazing. What is a typical day at Roland Garris? Like for you? When do you arrive? What are the kinds of things you have to do? Where do you go? What do you have to bring with you? How many steps do you do? Like it must be a big duy.
Speaker 3: So Roloaos is a little bit different than the other tournaments the other Slams I cover because at Honongawos I work for Ronongawos and the French Federation, so I work in a team. I love it. This is the only time of the year that I work with other photographers, so we are like ten photographers for Hongawos and each of us has to do something special. So on Monday we have a meeting at nine all together. It will be nice because we are back together for three weeks and since last year I'm doing behind the scenes and everybody has something to do, the qualities, the practice, and so I will be in the corridors. I will I love it. It's very nice. You have to be patient. This is not my best part. And from Sunday I will have one main court and like two or three co ops around and I will cover all the games and send my pictures to the editor because they are publishing pictures in real time, you know, the socials, media and everything, so I don't have to edit the pictures myself, which is very different than the other slams. The other slams, at the end of the day, I go to my computer download three thousand pictures and edit them and then send them to my clients. So at Tronong Gaos, I don't have this part. I only should, which is much more comfortable.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's interesting. I was going to ask you about working at the other slams. What makes their unique? Do you like them as well? Or is Roland Garross your favorite? Like I know that the story is with slams. They all have their own thing that makes them special. So how do you feel about them when you visit all the other Grand Slams?
Speaker 3: So it's not because you're Australian mad. But I love the Australian Open really for different reasons. I love the side, the site, I love all. I mean, how we can work there. It's very easy, very easy, and it's also summer time in January, when in France it's winter time, so I'm always excited to travel, even if it's a long travel to Australia. So I really like it. Okay, I would say my favorite. My favorite one is Horus because it's Veries, because I don't it's in my heart. But I love Australian Open. I like Wimbledon, even if even if it's not as nice to work there because of because we don't have so many angles. We it's very uh restricted, you know, photographers cannot go everywhere, so after one week you are like going in a circle, always doing the same thing. But it's it's nice, it's green, it's you don't have any ads on the background, so it's nice also. And the US Open I like it, even if the roof, the new roof is is not good for us because we don't have light on center anymore, you know, you have you can't see the circle, so it's a bit different. You know before years ago after six pm you had like an amazing light on this court, on these courts because they have the more roof, but they are all unique and different. But I would say Australia Open are my favorites?
Speaker 1: Yes, well that's fantastic. I'm sure you get asked this question a lot, But who have been your favorite players to photograph?
Speaker 3: So I think we have been very, very very lucky to have these three amazing players, Rafa, Roger Novak and I will add Serena. Okay, So for me, if I had to pick only one or two names, I would say Rafa and Serena. Every time they play it's I know that I will have fun. I will enjoy to photograph them. There is something happening, you know, the emotion, the power of the game and the personality. I mean, how there. I love them. So I miss Serena and I will miss Rafa very soon.
Speaker 1: Also, yes, and I understand that you have won an award for your coffee type of book. You did a iconic twenty years of Rafa and the Dove photography.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, first picture is from two thousand and four, I think. And the first memory I have of Rapha was in Alikonte in Spain during Davis's Cup. It was against France. He was very young, I think it was to two thousand and four, and he was already a fighter, and I say, wow, that guy is great. And also I remember in Kibiskane two thousand and four he met Roger for the first time and I had this picture that check hand at the end, and that's the first picture of both of them.
Speaker 1: So he won an award for that book. I just was kind of curious about how that all came to be. And I saw that you post there's a photo of you with him and the book.
Speaker 3: As you understood, Rapha is my favorite in my heart. So I had the chance to photograph him for twenty years, and I remember that I had this idea of making a book about him in twenty twelve, I think. So I did something myself and I show it to his team and they said, well it's a bit earlier. We wait, wait, okay, So I already have I always had that in my head. And two years ago a friend of mine, a journalist, did a book about Rafa, but a writing book, and he said, okay, I would like to get you photographed in my book. Are you okay? I say yes, of course. So I had the opportunity to meet the editor of that book and we talked and he said I love Rafa. I said, but I love Rafa. My dream is to make a book about Rafa. And the guy say, let's do it. So it started like that. So it's a French editor in Paris, and I told him, okay, I want to do a book, a book, a specially one I don't want. I want a book with pictures only about Rafa. I don't want to tell his story. I want to show artistic pictures and I want to choose all of them and to be there when you do the the frame and everything. So it's a great story because when I had this book in my hands.
Speaker 1: Wow, it's a huge book.
Speaker 3: It's more than three kilos, and it was even better when all than all my thoughts. So I was very happy and very proud of it. And the editor was selected by there is a contest with books, you know, all books of the year, and that book was selected. So we went to Monte Carlo for the party the night with the price, you know, and we won. And that was iconic Rapha.
Speaker 1: And it was yours. It's so good. I love it, and I love that he got to have his copy and see your vision come to the product, the three kilo book in his hand. It's great. You told me about a photo in Miami in two thousand and four with Federer and Nadal together, which is one of the first photos of them together. And obviously all the photos in the Wraffa book. You've taken millions of photos. Do you have a favorite.
Speaker 3: One? Is not easy? I will know. I we thought about a special one. I think I want a prize also with that one. It's not Raphie, it's not Roger, it's sulting ends. It was at the US Open. I don't remember when, like five or six years ago, and the Bryan brothers were playing the final. Okay, and as we all know, at the end of any match they won, they win, they.
Speaker 1: Jump and do their things, the chest pump.
Speaker 3: Yes, let's do it. So I went up in the stadium and said, I want to get this moment to photograph it. And when I was up in the stadium, I saw all the photographers at the same place. I said, no, no, I'm going to move away, go in a different place. So they won, They jumped and they threw the racket. Okay, the racket was perfectly on court, and in my camera I could see the racket because I was focusing on the rackets, and suddenly the shadows of the brother came in. My friend, and you have these shadows. They look the same, really the same, and the rackets on the blue court. So it's one of my favorite pictures because I I tried something different and it worked better than expected.
Speaker 1: Yes, obviously you've Macro said it. You've met rafa on Nadal. In your job, you are getting close to the players. Have you gotten a chance to meet players or made relationships with players like the ones with Raffa and Chris Effett.
Speaker 3: The French guys of course, the French players women and men because of the language. Because you're David's cup, fat cup, it's easier. And I think Serena is and maybe also sharp over these two are the ones I didn't have the chance to photograph, like one to one, I think I should everybody, all of them except Serena and in Maria. So for me, Serena is like on a stage that you cannot reach. You know, each time I had the chance to see her or to I'm very impressed. I mean, she's wow, you know. So despite these two players, Maria and Serena, I think I had a chance to photograph all of them, not to know them. But you know, with the yours, the players are used to see you on tour, and I think it's for them. It's how do you say.
Speaker 1: Yes they recognize you and yes they get confident.
Speaker 3: You know, they know I will never do something bad. So no, it's nice. You know when you when you see Novak or Rafa, they always say hello, Bojo or no they and they are all very nice, but it takes time to be in this little world to be recognized as someone I would say of the family, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Yes, like any industry respectful. Yes. So, going back to the beginning of the interview, you said you are living your dream. So are there any other dreams you would like to achieve? Any other things you would like to do with your photography or places you would like to go in your career that maybe you haven't tried or experienced yet.
Speaker 3: It's not a dream, but it's it's a kind of a dream. So I'm getting old. Old, it's fine, but it's a job that asks you to be in good shape. You have you old twenty kilos on your back for fifteen hours a day for two weeks, so it's tough. So I think in a few years, I don't know how many, but shure years I will go slowly, you know. And one of my dream would be to open a gallery, a photo gallery with maybe pictures of tennis, but I really enjoyed going on the beach and photographs the ocean, the light to send the surfers and all that stuff. So I would like one day to open a small gallery. You know what, I saw one in Sydney. What is the name of that famous beach?
Speaker 1: Bon Die Bon Dye.
Speaker 3: In Bon Dy, there is a gallery. I don't remember the name now. I was working in the street and say, oh, this is what I want. It was a corridor and the guide. The photographer's shooting the beach every day and he sells pictures of that beach. And he said, that's what I want to do in ten fifteen years. So that would be nice to live in garrets, relax, play golf, enjoy my friends, and have this gallery selling the pictures of barrets and maybe pictures of four years, you know, the players and everything.
Speaker 1: That sounds delightful.
Speaker 3: And I have one last thing to tell you.
Speaker 1: Oh please tell me.
Speaker 3: We mentioned the iconic Nadad and I'm very happy to tell you that I'm working on another iconic, iconic ferrier will be available in October twenty four.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's coming up soon. Yes, our congratulations. That's exciting.
Speaker 3: And that time it will be French and English, so it would be good for everybody.
Speaker 2: Great interview, Matt, Congratulations. Next time we stop and appreciate a great tennis photo, we'll also think about the hard work that goes into capturing that one single moment.
Speaker 1: And I was really intrigued when she talked about that photograph she took of the Brians at the US Open. I hadn't seen that, so I would recommend people to google Coringe Broil, Brian Brothers US Open and it'll come up, and it is. It's a work of art what she did there. And we'll be back next week with another episode of The sit Down, where our colleague Luke Dennehy catches up with nineteen eighty eight Roland Garros semifinalist Nicole Bradkitt. In the meantime, you can tune into John of the Team this Thursday on the AO Show.
Speaker 2: Weekly details for how to contact us are in the show notes. Remember to subscribe, rate and review. See you next week, Matt ce viv