Speaker 1: Welcome to the Christian O'Connell show podcast. What's your first job you ever had? For Will?
Speaker 2: It was collecting eggs and avoiding Randy Cockrels. I have contacted this guy. I'm gonna need more details.
Speaker 1: What Saturday job is.
Speaker 2: Collecting eggs and avoiding Randy cockrels? Who knew those cockrells and sow Randy christ My first Saturday job, this is from Sheila, was at a bookmakers. Do you remember the before it was an app on your phone, the old school bookies? Yeah, like the taba yeah, just the smoke in their very intimidating places to go into. This was Sheila's first job, pre computers, whiteboards, market pens by hand because she had neat handwriting. This is really taking back to my grandad, actually my Irish granddad. Twice a week, you being the local bookies, and only for like, I don't know, two or three bucks. Would he ever put a place about, right, He just did it for fun, but we would do it religiously twice a week. And I remember when he was dying, he was in hospital for about three months. I remember the owner of the local bookmakers.
Speaker 1: Would go and see him twice.
Speaker 2: A week because he was his regular customer, just to get a couple of dollars off him. Not then he wanted because he knew it meant. So he goes, this guy's been coming in for like thirty years. He would still go right up until I think it was about ten days before he passed away. He was still taking the little slip away and he brought the little you know, those little strange pens.
Speaker 1: They used to have in them as well that always used to run out and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: That's taking money out of your inheritance.
Speaker 2: There was no don't worry, Christi and I loved it. All the Steward's inquiries. The photo finishes amazing job.
Speaker 1: Christian. I worked in a chemist.
Speaker 2: This is from Peter sold condoms to relieved young men when they realized the one going to get served by a lady. Christian Daz worked in a fish and chip shop. He thinks he was the best potato peanut in Australia. I worked on the Woolli's Deli used to give free cheese to my mates. I was a cherry picker during the school holidays. After two days I had to retire from eating too many cherries.
Speaker 1: I felt sick.
Speaker 2: Working at Butcher's got the sack for eating too many pork scratching straight out of the big bag, stacking shells at the big w on weeknights after school. Took a long time a year to graduate to working on the checkouts at the weekends. Ooh, and John did another job that I know you did, Jackie Boy, cinema usher, because and I still reckon it was the best job I ever had.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would recommend that to any young people thinking about a job. Better than working at a fast food, better than working at a supermarket. Working at the cinemas, we got to go see the movies for free, and then as soon as everyone's in the cinema, you got an hour to kill just walking around eating a popcorn. It was great fun.
Speaker 1: Nine four four one O four three. The first job you ever had? Tim? What was it for you? Mate?
Speaker 4: I worked at the Cuckoo Nest when I was about fifteen or sixteen years old. I was there for probably less first or second shift. I swapped the crab salad with the thief cellers and I mixed them over because my job was to replace the celder. And I got fired by a team leader who was fifteen year old. He was younger than me and just being made the team leader, and I think fifteen, how I might have got to his head.
Speaker 1: Running the buffey.
Speaker 2: Tell you what that zero tolerance he got that crab salad mixed up with the seafood salad.
Speaker 1: That is, we stand on this at the Cuckoo Nest. So he fired you on the spot.
Speaker 4: You fired me on the spot.
Speaker 2: No right, because you're fifteen. I haven't been sacked my fifteen year old.
Speaker 4: But he said I didn't have what it takes and what thing at an early age. I did. I did get reinstated a week later because he wasn't actually allowed to bite me.
Speaker 5: Didn't have that.
Speaker 1: I didn't have that.
Speaker 2: This crab salad bar incredible, Tim, thank you very much.
Speaker 1: Cool, have a good day, thanks to calling the show mate. Now it's take care Jesse. How a ma, I'm good Jesse. All right, Jesse, what was your first job?
Speaker 6: So?
Speaker 7: I was a spooker and obviously a salesman down at the queen Bee Market of your fine fruit and vegetables.
Speaker 1: I bet that was great fun, right.
Speaker 7: It actually was. I was really nervous at the start. I started with my older brother who was back at the job. We'd all run through it at some point in time, and I was really nervous to scream and spruk on the bananas and the mangoes. But eventually I built up the confidence and started screwming and selling bananas and mangoes, and turned off fifty planets of strawberries, and we had the best beans in town. Everyone new to come to offen the beans.
Speaker 2: I love the sound of those people doing that. They've all got there's a rhythm in that to it, isn't there?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 7: They have good fun.
Speaker 1: I would have loved Jesse.
Speaker 3: I would have loved to see you in the early days when you were nervous and shy.
Speaker 1: Mangoes. That's only if you want to his.
Speaker 2: Voice breaking as well, because quite hit Pubert. Can you still remember the pattern?
Speaker 1: Now? Can you do a bit spooking on the line to.
Speaker 7: Get something going on? We got a dollar heady on the bananas.
Speaker 6: Now, the beautiful bananas North Queen's laying bananas. You got two dollars a punt of the strawberry, best beautiful sweet strawberries. What a banner for you today? We got four dollars on the banners. Now come down and get them from up. You're the best in town and you won't find any better around the market.
Speaker 7: No, you won't come get them.
Speaker 5: Want a mango?
Speaker 7: Where the mango?
Speaker 6: The women follow? Get the beautiful mango.
Speaker 1: You still.
Speaker 7: Like that?
Speaker 2: I'm going a couple of bunches, baby, and those mangoes. You still got the magic? Jesse was send your prize. That was awesome, Thank you very much.
Speaker 1: All right, we've got John Andline. John. Were you also a spruker?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Oh the spruker? I reckon. I almost worked on the same store as Jessey.
Speaker 1: That is it? Because so are you at the vic Market as well?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 5: All was at the vic Market.
Speaker 1: We're reuniting the sprekers.
Speaker 7: I worked in a shed with Rocky Panuccio.
Speaker 1: All right, and have you still got some of your spill? Can you do some now? If you go?
Speaker 6: All right?
Speaker 4: Paper, we got a banana what lover banana.
Speaker 2: Fresh quality tape tape tape, Penny, what lover of the Muscia room.
Speaker 7: Musia room?
Speaker 1: Yours is more?
Speaker 5: Just?
Speaker 1: Yet? He is a bullying us as adviser. To stop the noise.
Speaker 2: You're listening to the Christian O Carl's Show podcast sworn and then we're taking your calls, your stories about the very first job you ever had.
Speaker 1: That's your love.
Speaker 2: This So both the Ruby and lois both my daughters at the moment applying for Saturday jobs. Ruby is seventeen and next year big yive here she at the end of the year she goes into year twelve, So massive year next year. And a big thing is when she turns eighteen next year in July. She is saying to me that she would like a car, and I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, good luck.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't worry about eight years before I got a car. Don't automatics get a car. It's not like a birth right that you just get a car. And also she was like looking at Carls as well. She showed me a laptop with a load of light super rus.
Speaker 1: I went, you're on that kind of car.
Speaker 2: Wow, you really surprising me at super rudent burnouts.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that was you.
Speaker 2: I said, look, we can talk about that, but I said, you need to contribute towards it. You absolutely have to get a job and start to chip in towards it. And so and she was going, I said how much you think you could chip in? So say, this is roughly what you might get if you worked like a couple of hours during the week, and she was going, I think I could probably give you like twenty to thirty dollars a month.
Speaker 1: Oh so much? Did you hear eighteen in July?
Speaker 8: Let's do the match we're in October. You're going to present to me with a check right, undred bar? I mean you barely get a wing mirror, So am I gonna pay for ninety nine per car? So much to learn about that big old world out there?
Speaker 1: Wow, Wow, lucky you.
Speaker 3: They're all the spending money coming in under the government.
Speaker 2: You wait, the calories time with these kids out working, You're gonna see a very different me.
Speaker 1: I'll be handing out.
Speaker 9: Honey's on a Friday to you and the team, oh three hundred dollars towards a super room, go bosk racing the police at the weekend.
Speaker 1: Shibby and Patsy's News.
Speaker 2: On a Monday, the air wing was called stingers out.
Speaker 1: Rubio kinda was back ound that super wo on Saturday nights. All right, what scenes one?
Speaker 2: O four three? What was your very first job? Let's go to Brett. Good morning Brett.
Speaker 5: Can any guys, how are you going, We're good.
Speaker 1: Brett, welcome to the show. What was it for you? What was the first job Brett had?
Speaker 5: Well, I used to work at a obviously you might know or not know, Jack Wood.
Speaker 6: It was our.
Speaker 5: AFL park Wavery Park before over and went on to Road and Mulgrave and I was doing basically he just selling the cold drinks and the chips and or sometimes he went out and sold pies and so forth. And oh yeah, it wasn't it wasn't too bad. I didn't pay much anyway, But a lot of the times I spent a lot of my time sneaking around the ground before the game started, because I don't know if anyone knows if a path was full of a lot of secret little places you could get into the place where I used to use to my advantage to get into later on to get because if you got in early in the day, you got the better stand and the better stall the workout.
Speaker 3: And how did you need to sneak into the ground if you were working.
Speaker 5: There, Because if you're working there, what happened was if you earlier, you got there front of the que or the where the kids coming to work, you've got a better store. So then I'd get into the front, very front, and always getting good the door.
Speaker 2: But the thing was, we're dining with a young Danny Ocean here on the line right now, Brett Ocean.
Speaker 5: Just don't tell anyone.
Speaker 1: We'll keep it quice. I'll give it your real name.
Speaker 5: Do you guys? I'm not sure. I who remember the blue coats back at the park and they were like your security guards basically, and they basically spent their time just patrolling. But the last time they spent their time game in the pub sneaking a.
Speaker 1: Few beers once again.
Speaker 2: And they are the more we leaving about the runnings of security systems in Australia, the more i'm their gods, the laxness, most of the time.
Speaker 8: In the pubs in a blue coat, so everyone knows what they're supposed to be doing.
Speaker 5: There was a classic though, getting ticed by these guys. They're so unfit.
Speaker 2: There a stomach full of a couple of paints in them, you know, trying to run you guys down.
Speaker 1: That's brilliant, Brett. Thank you very much. You cool. Have a good day. The Christian O'Connell Show podcast