Speaker 1: The Flex and Rooms Daily podcast.
Speaker 2: Let's keep this one short and sweet, so we don't have a sixteen minute intro like we usually do. Yes, few things we want to touch on. When I was opening up my mirrored cabinet today, I hit my knuckle and broke the skin. I thought to myself, how fragile are humans?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: Like back in the day the cavemen were fighting lions and I'm here getting injured by a bathroom mirror. And the reason why I'm saying this is because it's plaguing my mind. It's at the front side of my mind. I should be better than that.
Speaker 3: Young people are gone soft Vault online. Please confirm Flex is too soft? Where's Steve past him?
Speaker 1: Literally?
Speaker 2: All right, let's get to it Flex and we have got some listener dms. This one is very hefty. It scrolls over two pages in my Instagram dms and not a lot of paragraphic and usually I would skip these ones, but they led with I'm currently listening to the show, and I said, okay, well, this is a friend and a fan, so let's do them. Let's do them a solid. Please put on your comprehension hats. I'm gonna need those on the whole time. I'm firmly on listening is open?
Speaker 3: Can you give me a name? What for?
Speaker 1: I just want to paint a picture Live Actually yeah, I have a sister called Live. Will say, okay, well say it? Did I? Okay? Listen?
Speaker 2: Hey, Flex, I hope you and Frooms are well. You know, I do wonder if people know that you can send dms to both of us at the same time.
Speaker 1: Create a little group.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we haven't a single one.
Speaker 2: Cause I'm constantly getting messages. I know Foms won't open her DM, so I'm sending.
Speaker 1: It to you. Okay, sorry, what am I your secretary? I agree?
Speaker 3: So I wonder someone knows people will send me one. And I'm like, are they sending it to flex through? Because then we bring our breaks in at the start of the week. I don't want to do a double up.
Speaker 1: It's true.
Speaker 3: Obviously they've got favorites.
Speaker 2: Can I Dear Mike, thank you so much. I'm currently listening to your podcast that touches based on blocking people who encroach on our personal comfort. I wanted to ask what your opinions are on simply unfollowing or unfriending old friends who you've had a big fallout with. I've had so many discussions with people about friends who they've had awkward, confronting or super uncomfortable cross the line fallouts with, who continue to follow said friends, only to quickly skip over their media posts and updates every time. I find that it's not uncommon in these instances when I ask you why you wouldn't just unfollow or unfriend that person, and they'll use usually answer defensively, be like I can't do that, Why would I do that?
Speaker 1: That's like so rude or whatever.
Speaker 2: I just want to hear what your thoughts are on keeping people you've cut ties with in your social personal space and social media circles if you don't want to see any updates from them or maintain any kind of relationship personally, I believe that letting people you've had a big fallout with create an unhappy and uncomfortable space on your personal platform is not the go What do you reckon?
Speaker 3: Look right now, I'm a little bit distracted by your t shirts to a leaper. Oh just suddenly, Yeah, I was just thinking, you know, when Kim Kardashian died her hair blonde, Yes, she kind of look like do a leaper?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I guess I see that.
Speaker 3: Aren't they both Armenian?
Speaker 2: No? Julia was Albanian? Albanian? Yeah, yeah, I mean you said that.
Speaker 1: No, I said, aren't they both?
Speaker 2: I could have said anything tall you know what I mean? Entrepreneurs, girl, set up? Every time you fall right into it?
Speaker 3: Oh my god? What can I say? I am who I am? No room for improvement?
Speaker 1: You can't say that. We've talked about this.
Speaker 2: What You've got to speak with intention? You said you have no room for improvement. You can't say that because I'm perfect.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, and I really meant that that time. So guys, I'm manifesting right all right, all right enough. I was at a party. I know about other stuff. I will say I was at a party that I wearing all grain. Someone said, you gotta do a Shrek impression? Obviously, Nail, do you want to do one?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 3: Llo?
Speaker 4: Allo girl, I'm looking at your T shirts on. It's the leaper. She's got a little bit of lightning going behind the bark.
Speaker 1: You sound like that UFC fighter Patty. Yeah, yeah, you.
Speaker 3: Know that Tic took of him jumping up and down, and it was like, why am I so attracted to this?
Speaker 1: Because he's hot.
Speaker 4: This is hot?
Speaker 3: Okay, what do I think I am voting? When she said, what does she mean by media posts?
Speaker 2: The social media posts like you know, like skipping past their stories, their snapchats, their whatever. Because I guess what she's explaining is that, like, let's say, have had a falling out with someone and I'm not going to watch their story because we've had a falling out. I'm not gonna like their posts. We've had a falling out. She's like, just unfollow them, block them.
Speaker 3: You're not coming back from unfollow That's Nothing's more awkward than having to follow someone again what I would do? Of course, he's used the mute button. And then when you're having a bad time at night, going through a bit of self loathing, go and look at their profile and hurt yourself. Gotta keep them there so you don't do.
Speaker 1: The unfollowed Nah.
Speaker 4: Oh nah, that was.
Speaker 1: A lot of effort just muting.
Speaker 2: But to be fair, I get the point that she's making because it's there's nothing worse than you creating a happy home for someone who's an unwelcome visitor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you know what I'm saying?
Speaker 3: Actually is better than a bad tenant.
Speaker 1: This is exactly.
Speaker 2: It not in the current rental crisis, speak for yourself, but it doesn't actually make any sense emotionally, mentally, spiritually to be hanging onto that energy because you're concerned about the optics if the falling out has a curb snip the ties. I used to be the kind of person who wasn't into blocking, wasn't into atomic blocking.
Speaker 1: I was like, no, that, like that's like not mature.
Speaker 2: But then I realized it was my immaturity who was like, no, they need to see me flex on them in a very loud way. They need the subtweets to reach them. How my subweet is going to reach them if they've blocked you know. But I'm a big fan of the atomic block because the mental space you got to free it up.
Speaker 3: Ah Louis, who works a cater, said this thing about soft block, and I think that's a really good word as well. It's a soft block one platform muting.
Speaker 1: Oh a mute is a soft block.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh, it's a personal block.
Speaker 2: I think we need to start getting specific with our interpersonal interactions because what we think is nuance is just like avoidant apathy and ambiguity. This like undefined space where nothing is or nothing can be perceived as anything but all this other stuff. No pick aside, block someone, let them know how they made you feel, because at the very least you get closer to reconciliation. Remember one time I downloaded an unfollowed app because I was trying to clear out my feed because it was the time where the Instagram algorithm changed and you weren't seeing your friend's post. And I was like, oh, I need to start being a bit more specific with who I'm following so I can interact with my friends. So I downloaded this unfollowed app and essentially you get to pick who you want to unfollow, and it's like accounts who's not engaged with me in the last thirty days, accounts I haven't engaged with in the last thirty days anyway. World War III. People weren't coming up to me and saying why did you unblock me? But they were going to my friends and being like, hey, like, does FLEX have a problem with me? Why does she unfollow me? And now look like a liar because I forgot I had done this and I didn't know what accounts are being unfollowed. I was like, they all got to go. You know it wasn't personal. It was personal to a lot.
Speaker 3: Of people followed me to feel very intentional, right.
Speaker 2: And I was like, it wasn't even like that because I was happy to go back and with a refollow, but it wasn't given the good vibe. So you know, be prepared for what that unfollow means. Can't go back, You can, but the damage is done.
Speaker 3: Yeah, flex and frums.
Speaker 2: Today we're getting hot and heavy on the listener messages dms whatever, all the evidence is here. Like I see Plice show, I'm always very intrigued in people message me for the first time on Instagram when they've been following me for a long time, because my platform is mostly about two way communications. Sometimes I scream, you know what I mean. But if you if you're a longtime follower, I'm always like, what implored you? What gave me the conviction to message this time?
Speaker 3: Nothing is better than that.
Speaker 1: I get met with three voice notes.
Speaker 2: This person says, I've never before in my life sent a voice note on Instagram, and I feel that this was not the chat to practice in.
Speaker 1: But oh my god, dot dot dot dot dot dot dot they want us to wait on something. I don't know what it is. We'll we'll find out together.
Speaker 5: Lex oh and maybe fause he my name is Tony and I just would please need you guys to wait in on this. So actually no, say, well, just a warning heads up. I will probably not be presenting this in a new tool and by this way. But that feels like my parent. So my question is, if you're born on Olympia and your birthday happens to fall on between ninth of February, do you, a like on all the other non leper years, celebrate your birthday on the twenty eighth of February or b on the first of March, because like my friend thinks that it should be the twenty eighth because it keeps it in February. But surely the only correct answer is B. Because first of all, you are because I was looking at the time and I was like, oh my gosh, gonna run out of time here.
Speaker 3: Oh now I actually will.
Speaker 4: This is this is a journey one of us.
Speaker 5: That is actually so embarrassing. I did not mean to say that so early. So you just keep going, You're all good. So because okay.
Speaker 2: So was.
Speaker 1: Flex the past.
Speaker 2: You just never get to the white So absolutely, okay, wait, so you know how she's one of yours for me?
Speaker 5: Yeah, ringa and composure hopefully, I think. But I was saying because like, surely the only correct answer is b first of March, because one, your birthday is literally the day after the twenty eighth of February, and two, if it was actually a leap yeah, that day like labels a side would be your birthday, Like, please affirm me, tell me I'm right, because I'm genuinely anyway, I'm just gonna leave because I am genuine my nervous thing many times, So goodbye.
Speaker 1: I hope you're.
Speaker 2: Shout out to Tony. That's the best word we've ever gotten in.
Speaker 3: Our lives, Tony, I was on the ride.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's do a show of hands.
Speaker 2: No, it's radio, so we're gonna need a allowed yes. So if it's yes, oh ah, So if you believe that a leapy baby should celebrate their birthday on the twenty eighth or the thirty first.
Speaker 3: Wait, there is no thirty one of them? Yeah what did you even go to school?
Speaker 2: Okay, who agrees you sell about your birthday on the twenty eighth if you're a leapier baby, wi yeah, yeah, in theory, the twenty eighth makes a lot of sense because it's still in February.
Speaker 1: You know, nobody's nen get too fast.
Speaker 2: It's like it's your birthday's coming up, and if you're going out at night, probably gonna crack over into what would have been your birthday. However, you weren't born, You won't even you didn't even exist yet in the human realm. You hadn't touched oxygen like that until the twenty ninth.
Speaker 1: So it has to be the first.
Speaker 4: How does the baby not breathe in the tummy?
Speaker 1: Not does? But it's scott gills?
Speaker 3: Are you serious?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: No, But it doesn't come out with gills?
Speaker 1: Yeah it does.
Speaker 4: Where's the baby's gills?
Speaker 1: Okay? See this is how you I know.
Speaker 3: I need to Okay, hold on a bloody second. Marty in the studio has a baby?
Speaker 4: Does it have gills? Baby has never had gills?
Speaker 1: It?
Speaker 3: So, how does the baby breathe in the tummy bilical cord?
Speaker 1: Babe?
Speaker 3: Bro?
Speaker 4: It has a mouth, bro, How is it not drowning in the fluid?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we take its first breath, Bro, that must be a rush.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the first real high Okay, So the only correct answer is the first. However, I won't fight someone if they want to do the twenty eighth. It really depends on what you're how you're celebrating, and what day it falls on me. If you're smart, you do the whole weekend twenty eighth to the first.
Speaker 4: I don't like those people.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, tell us how you really feel.
Speaker 3: Don't be so selfish. It's like people have a wedding, an engagement, a bridle shower, a hens. Do keep to one event please?
Speaker 1: Oh you can't have them all?
Speaker 3: Nah, I got other stuff to do.
Speaker 2: What if you have a hierarchical approach to friendship? Like I went to a party once recently, and I'm a party friend for this friend. So I wasn't invited to the daytime lunch. I was invited to the nighttime. But I loved that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, anyway, thank you so much for your voice, man, and thanks for being a listener.
Speaker 1: Toy Tony. This is Flex and Frooms on CADA.
Speaker 3: So in today's segment on our radio show Flex and Rooms, I have entitled this the longest tune ever. I know you're thinking I'm going to play a song for the whole break. Yeah, you're gonna enjoy it.
Speaker 4: We love what we love it.
Speaker 3: When radio hosts don't talk, we want that interrupted ad free break. I gotta disappoint you. It's not a tune. Instead, it's a term that we use when you're on the tune with someone, when you're trying to get someone's attention.
Speaker 1: Tune is the term you use when you're on the tune with someone.
Speaker 3: Can you think of it when you're like trying to date someone.
Speaker 2: Tune is propositioning someone romantically or sexually.
Speaker 3: There we go on the tune. And the other day I was walking through the park listening to our podcast actually because I listen to it back for personal.
Speaker 4: Notes, and I get a message and.
Speaker 3: It goes still looking forward to our coffee A and then this smiley face oh with a tongue out, and I go, wait a minute, and I'm going to put up I'm going to make a different name. Ryan, Oh, Ryan, that that name looks really familiar. It's kind of unusual name.
Speaker 1: Is this the person we barked at?
Speaker 3: No? No, this is someone else? So a few a few months, want to flex some froom show. Someone sent me a message and we just sent back some barking.
Speaker 2: He said, something like, you're like, you think you're funny a or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and he was trying to he was trying to nag you.
Speaker 1: But like and then we send him a voice member.
Speaker 3: We're like, yeah, so I clicked through this guy and I go, oh my god, it's Ryan. I don't remember what time of my life we were chatting, but we were chatting at some point when I was Frooms, Like, because I haven't I have a life before Frooms. Oh after him? So before Frooms, I was the Cinder. What year was that twenty sixteen? I became true Firms. Oh, but up until that point, I didn't have social media.
Speaker 1: This is really his longest tune ever.
Speaker 2: Already repulsed, it was done.
Speaker 3: So then I'm like, I figured out, yeah, I've somehow we've messaged. So then I click through the message and I go, oh my god. I start scrolling back. The last time we spoke was twenty nineteen, and it was him replying to a story. Obviously I didn't reply.
Speaker 1: Covid was hot, and then.
Speaker 3: It was it was lockdown.
Speaker 4: And then I'm looking through and it's like October twenty eighteen.
Speaker 1: It looks shell Shop January.
Speaker 3: January twenty nineteen, then February twenty eighteen.
Speaker 1: Lap.
Speaker 3: These are nine month intervals between him messaging me what's going on, and then I scroll all the way back and it's twenty seventeen. Howdy, hand up. You have a funky account. Nice, So that's how my man started. Then I go le Mayo, thank you, sends me a little video WHOA that I won't play. I mean, i'll play the sound the lads as if that's attractive.
Speaker 1: I'm feeling. I feel it.
Speaker 3: I'm safe.
Speaker 1: It's twenty seventeen, it might have work. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Also, I love how the video is square, because that's all Instagram let you do back then vintage. Then he goes, oops, didn't mean to send that here, but oh well, Plasic, now you know what I'm up to. Are you from Melbourne? He's the one Tunic.
Speaker 1: I stand by him.
Speaker 3: I want to read you more of these messages because I want to get your opinion on whether or not I should actually meet up with him. Okay, I'm going to give you all the full discography of our conversations in the inbox from twenty seventeen to twenty twenty two. The longest tune of all time Read us some messages FLEXI.
Speaker 2: Okay, So we start in you know, May twenty seventeen.
Speaker 1: How do you have a funky account?
Speaker 2: Then we go to the twenty fifth of May, about a week later, so may I have your hand in marriage?
Speaker 1: Where I leave the country? Is he looking for a visa? We don't know.
Speaker 2: But also great for clout to get married. You know what I mean, never to go get it done properly, but definitely have the wedding. Of course, Fumi did say as long as I do, I have to sign a prenup, which I think is quite fair considering you were building building a profile at the time. So scroll scroll scroll board. We get to August twenty seventeen. I feel privileged that my second favorite person on Instagram follows me, to which Froom's replies a day later, God bless. So I want to know you didn't ask who the first hope person was. This guy's putting his grafting keep going and you're blocking the graft. Do you remember what you felt about him and that just at this time, Ah, you had options.
Speaker 4: I had options. Look at time five years ago.
Speaker 2: He sends a response to your Instagram story at the Australian Open laughing emoji face, hard eye's emoji face.
Speaker 1: You send a bomb back? What does that mean? What does that mean?
Speaker 2: This last week when I said the issue with fruit so that she can't close, you guys thought I was a savage. This is what I'm talking about. Right, We're throwing shots. We're throwing shots. We're throwing shots. You're dodging them. Twentieth of January. Twentieth of January twenty eighteen. What are you doing this evening? Fran says, hang out with my mama. I got a big day tomorrow. But then she says, where do you usually go out? I want to boogie with you?
Speaker 5: Did?
Speaker 1: I say we did?
Speaker 2: I just like, honestly, there's nothing worse than aimless chit chat quick caveat. I was talking to a friend of mine the other day and he was like talking about how he started a lot of conversations with these girls that he's tuning around. I'm like, when are you meeting them? He's like, what do you mean? I said, what is your intention? If you're chit chatting chit chatting? He's like, oh, just so like when I eventually want to hang out, It's like we've got some conversation, and I was like, no, at the very most, you had a week long window. If you know you have the Friday, Saturday, Sunday free, you start talking on the Wednesday, okay, you lock it in on the Thursday, leave it for air on the Friday, using back in on a Saturday. If you don't have a weekend free or a date night free, don't talk completely agree, do a little gentle story response, a gentle double tap. Don't maintain the pen pals, because what I'm looking at this pen pals year to year to year, pen pouncing.
Speaker 3: El s juicie. Before I get to my answer, he's replying to every story.
Speaker 1: What are you doing? Oh? He did say I want to get a drink. On Tuesday.
Speaker 2: In February twenty eighteen, he said, I'm in Sydney. I'm afraid. Sorry, I'll be busy for the next while. Now, six months later he's moved. He's in Sydney. You're in Sydney, he said, where are you? You didn't respond. Six months later he's like, where is this place? You respond? Now we're at present day, twenty twenty two, still looking forward to our coffee. You said, yeah, we have to go for a coffee. Surely this is the longest game of all time. Are you in Melbourne or Sydney?
Speaker 1: Through me? Are you keen or not?
Speaker 3: I'm gonna go.
Speaker 2: So what we need to do is put out coins together, fly you up to Melbourne so you can have this date and live back. This could be the beginning of the greatest love story ever.
Speaker 3: Go fund me, get me to Melbourne for this date. Well, live stream I'll bring you can stop commodifying romance, babes. Once you've secured the first date, you've shot your shot, then we can debrief.
Speaker 1: So feel me.
Speaker 3: Would you go or is he f boy? No?
Speaker 1: You go? When this this is the issue with people who are not scoring.
Speaker 2: Your dating stories are getting stale, they're getting old, they're getting stale, and now you have opportunities in the dms and they're asking questions. Stop asking questions, babe, Get on the date.
Speaker 1: Ryan.
Speaker 4: If you're watching this, hit me up. Let's organize a date.
Speaker 1: He's hit you up. He's hitting you up for five years. Who you're stressing me out?
Speaker 4: This is flex and frooms.
Speaker 3: So someone on TikTok said I look like Susan Boyle. Someone else had nice tits that's a classic one. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Otherwise fan favorite Life's pretty good.
Speaker 1: That's good.
Speaker 3: Also, Keenan Yas they do the breakfast showing here at cater Yeas tried to give me a backcrack.
Speaker 2: I did see it in the flesh. It did not look licensed or pop my back out. I thot HR was watching.
Speaker 3: So, as you know, FLEXI, I'm a big fan of the Sydney Morning Herald otherwise known as the SMH. For our friends are working and living in Melbourne. It's called the Age.
Speaker 1: Is it really?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Huh So I grew up with the Age, but now I'm with a Sydney Morning Herald. So I was reading the SMH digital version. Of course, I'm a subscriber paying for my news.
Speaker 2: They've not comped it yet because you have to that a couple of times and have not comped it for you.
Speaker 3: They don't care. I'm writing articles. They're paying me for that pretty good rate for writers. I will, I will admit, don't say it too loudly. I was reading this article and the title was a Saturday, so you get more of the flowery pieces and on news pieces and the I love this was the greatest female Australian artist we never knew.
Speaker 1: Oh, I don't like the sound of that, the sound of that at all. Why I'm not happy about that.
Speaker 2: The greatest female Australian artist we never knew.
Speaker 1: I know who is she?
Speaker 3: So her name was Clarice Beckett, of no relation to Beckett the playwright, and she was a painter whose paintings I would describe as melancholic. So they kind of like misty a bit not van GOI. It's kind of like, okay, let me try and explain to you. It's like Monet that painting. Yeah, it's kind of like the flowers and the lily pad and the beautiful watercolor colors, and then it's it's like a scene in the Aldi world Australia, and the road is kind of blurry. Everything's blurry, as if seen through what's your name again, Clarice Beckett, And it's as if it's seen through a vasoline covered camera anyway, So paint's very melancholic. Nobody really knew her when she was alive. However, the NGV, the National Gallery of Victoria, uses her prints to sell merch. So the NGB, you know how there's a gift shop at all the galleries. Yeah, her stuff is printed on calendars and tee toowls and stuff, and it's the best selling artist in the whole ENGV. Is it because of the price point, I'm not sure, but she's brought often and it just made me think, Yeah, would you prefer to not be known for all the amazing art that you make and then be known after you die you can't enjoy yourself spoils or or would you prefer to not have it at all?
Speaker 1: Oh? Those are the only two options.
Speaker 3: If you can, you can add something else.
Speaker 1: Thank you for offering.
Speaker 2: Look, I'll take the clout post mortem. You know, I won't say no to it. But it's just such a shame. I hate to hear it. NGGV is like they're cashing in, And probably because she wasn't famous in her own time, she got that copyright free art.
Speaker 1: You can make whatever you want with it. Put it on to go under that catching in no royalty.
Speaker 4: Running out of the door, a total hot property.
Speaker 1: Shout out to Clarice Clarice Beckett.
Speaker 3: It reminds me of like, you know how with songs, once they've been around for one hundred years, they become unlicensed. Happy Birthday exactly so in one hundred years time, Beyonce's whole discography is free use. We're selling teeth whitening throwing Beyonce track underneath it on Talk Talk, which is going to be replaced TikTok. Anyway, jes are your future. Think about that all the time, about oh my God in the nineteen forties, are going to start being able to.
Speaker 2: Use Elvis in the nineteen forties or in the twenty forties. You lost me, But that's okay.
Speaker 1: Let's keep it pushing.
Speaker 3: You've been listening to the Flex and Frooms Daily podcast for more. Tune its OK on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.