Speaker 1: Got some player.
Speaker 2: Yes, sneeze, Yeah, bless Hugh.
Speaker 1: I felt good. I fucking love a sneeze.
Speaker 2: A good sneeze, a good brain clearer love it.
Speaker 1: I'm back. Welcome back to two doting dads. I'm Maddie Jay and I'm Ash. This happens to be a podcast that is all about parenting. It's the good, the bad, and the relatable. And for legal reasons, we do have to just say here, let me read the script. If you have come for any type of advice, stop right now. None will be given whatsoever. And if you do hear anything that remotely sounds like advice, ignore it. It's a shame that we're not on a cruise ship.
Speaker 2: I know, but do you know we can make ourselves feel like we are on a cruise ship.
Speaker 1: Go on.
Speaker 2: We are currently drinking a stone and wood.
Speaker 1: It's in a.
Speaker 2: Can this time.
Speaker 1: Close my eyes. I'm on the balcony. Tony off. Ah, I'm almost there.
Speaker 2: I'm there, almost there, nice blue screens around us.
Speaker 1: I mean, this is great. There's nothing that hits harder than drinking a stone and wood. Pacific aale on looking at the ocean.
Speaker 2: Oh, it was beautiful.
Speaker 1: That is a match made in heaven.
Speaker 2: But that being said, we can't have it all today, but we do have Barron Bay in a bottle or today Barron Bay in a can. And of course it's got fruity hops, cloudy haze and a nice refreshing finish. Now, what do you have for me over there? So because you've got a nice smile on your face.
Speaker 1: I mean I'm a bit of a sucker for like any little fact nuggett. Yes, I've got one for you. We often talk about the Galaxy Hops from Tasmania. They give it it's nice fruity aromas. It's also it's partly grown in Victoria, partly grown in Tasmania. And this was once an experimental hop until Brad he's one of the original co founders. He came along and he was like, I'm going to play with this. So fast forward ten years. Everyone now is jumping on the Galaxy Hops. Everyone after Brad had a little play with it bomb everywhere.
Speaker 2: Else, every care as long as Stone would have it in their pacific, I'm a happy man.
Speaker 1: So they say here as well, Ash for those playing at home, they dry the hop with Galaxy at the late stages of fermentation. Creating the beer's unique tropical fruit aroma. Dry it with the galaxy. I need to look into that. How does that work? How are you guys doing it? Doing that?
Speaker 2: Do you have access to the galaxy? When you get the milky way you've got Yeah, you've got to hire it. Got to hire it, kenneth in. But of course we'd like to thank Stink and would. We'd love to thank Stone and Would of course for making this episode possible.
Speaker 1: Cheers, cheers. One's already half empty. M Can I ask Counts Oscar?
Speaker 2: Look if any strange men walk past? He's quivering?
Speaker 1: Has he asked about me? Not at all? Nothing at all.
Speaker 2: He's at the moment he is a bit dictated on missing mummy because mummy is away for work.
Speaker 1: Oh that's right, yeah, no, she is away for work. I shouldn't do that. How many she sees this?
Speaker 2: Me doing this? Never get sex again?
Speaker 1: I love how like when we're working, we're like overseas somewhere, and April's like, actually like working hard in the corporate world, and you're like, is that work? She is?
Speaker 2: She's working very hard. If she's listening, very hard, very proud of her. She's down to Parliament House. At the moment, she's running for prime minister. She is good luck. The plan to take over the country has started. So no, she's down there working for a couple of days. So of course I'm the primary care parent, Karen. Fuck is wrong with me today?
Speaker 1: Are you okay? You having a stroke? Maybe you're ruling.
Speaker 2: I'm sweating. I am the primary parent. And what does a primary parent do? They get their mum into help. That's the way to do it. So mum came down for a couple of days because we're very busy men.
Speaker 1: We are very busy men. And your your mother, mother Mary is lovely.
Speaker 2: It's her birthday today. It's a birthday. Yes, happy birthday sixty two. And she said to me this one as he goes, I don't give a fuck about it, and old I was like, good, who you are?
Speaker 1: She's young, she's fit, she's vibrant. I are you trying to fund my mouth? No? What I saw her and the I don't want to know where one piece swim suit? And can I just say, whatever she's doing, keep it up, Mary, because that looks great, that looks shut. No complain. Wayne is a lucky man. Oh my god, that's Wayne's dad. Is she a good n Yeah, she's great.
Speaker 2: Yeah. She doesn't get to see the kids near as much because they do live in Queensland and we're in Sydney. So any chance I can be like, hey, I'll fly you down, spend a couple of days, spend some time with the kids. She's happy to jump at that because also my niece, my sister's daughter, lives in Sydney as well, so she gets to see her as well. So it's like it works out. But there's some things that she can't help with, like kids wanting mum wanting dad, and we were really busy. Mum's sleeping in our bedroom and I'm sleeping on the floor in the kids bedroom. In hindsight, probably wasn't the best couple of nights of sleep I've ever had.
Speaker 1: On the floor. What's your setup?
Speaker 2: You got like a mattress, a mattress right next to Oscar's bed.
Speaker 1: So the kids must love that though, the must think it's novelty that Dad's on the floor.
Speaker 2: Totally. That's the problem. So the first thing is I'm trying to get them into bed, and they both want to sleep in my bed, but I'm not going to bed yet because the sun's still up.
Speaker 1: It's like six thirty.
Speaker 2: I'd love to trust me, and I'm a busy man, like clean the house, and so I've got to have the meltdown of them not being able To'm like, get into your cot Macy put her in there, Oscar into his bed, and I'm like, don't get into my bed. You can get into my bed later. If you wake up in the middle of the night you want to cuddle, you can get in again. That's a big mistake. He's bony, and he's so oh yeah, he's yeah, he's he's so skinny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he is.
Speaker 2: Honestly, like I've seen more body fat on a skeleton. He is fucking tiny, and.
Speaker 1: He's just he's a ribcage when we took a shirt off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as soon as I get I'm not starving him, by the way, that's his health choice and dietary choices. Literally straight away. As soon as I get into bed at like nine o'clock last night. Bit later, obviously, I'm like, okay, I'm not get to get into bed. And then it's a single mattress, so he's just like falling off the mattress, getting back up then Macey's waking up. She wants to get in the mat. Then she's shaken on the fucking thing and it's like on the cot ah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's in like the prison set.
Speaker 2: She's like, she's like just getting the cuddle she wants it to.
Speaker 1: So for two.
Speaker 2: Nights, I like, the sleep has been dreadful.
Speaker 1: And I mean this in the nicest way possible. You look a little tired, thank you today. That's the look I'm going for. I'm going for tired. I'm going for tired dad. Actually it's really working. When does April come back?
Speaker 2: She's back tonight, Well this afternoon.
Speaker 1: How do you think the kids are going to go? When you take the mattress back out?
Speaker 2: That's going to be another problem in itself because now Macey's like and you know what she's like. She doesn't really say anything. She's points and I'm meant to know what that fucking means. She means get in that bed, like otherwise I'm not going to lay down. So the amount of times I had to poke my head last nar and the night before being like down, She's like head down and then two seconds after.
Speaker 1: Here you're like that day you remember you remember before we started recording. Your sister said you shouldn't get so aggressive to the kids. I'm going to pretend you and say that.
Speaker 2: But so April's back tonight, and April she faced times. When you're away, right, and you're away, there's a lot of face time going on so that you can see each other. The kids remember that you exist. Whenever I FaceTime when we were away, they didn't give a shit. April facetimes and they're fucking dancing in the bath like whoa.
Speaker 1: It's like she's gott to coax them into giving you like second of their time on the screen.
Speaker 2: And then I'm like, all right, say goodbye to moment because I'm like, you're just distracting. I want to put these kids to bed, meltdown. And she goes, she's talking to me on loud speaking. She goes, can you make sure that they're away late tomorrow? Because she gets home she see, then.
Speaker 1: How late do we talk?
Speaker 2: So now Oscar's like, am I staying up late tonight? This is all morning? And I'm like, no, you're going to get a bed earlier. Out of spite what I'll keep him up for a bit, but otherwise I've got to wait for her to get home and deal with the cranky kids.
Speaker 1: Just put the TV on like you normally do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's cool, right, promise you're welcome anyway. That's my week so far. And look, I'm happy to have April back because the house is a mess. I haven't been able to get around doing anything. Mum's helped out in the you know where she can help out. You're doing a great job, mate. Hey, that's all I wanted to do.
Speaker 1: You're keeping things afloat. You're doing well. I'm proud of you. Into sarcasm there, none at all, No, no, whatsoever. Right, you're doing very well.
Speaker 2: Good? What about you? Sorry? Enough about me.
Speaker 1: We almost lost Nana. Oh not Nana, not paul Ellie. We almost lost that.
Speaker 2: Like how she's very slow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the problem.
Speaker 2: That's the problem me, sir.
Speaker 1: When we arrived back in Sydney, because for those wondering, we finished in Brisbane, we had to fly back to Sydney on the Saturday. And then she made the mistake of saying once we arrived off the plane in Sydney airport and she went, well that was pretty painless. She was like, nothing went wrong, And I was like, why would you say that, Why would you you just you're now just inviting, you've invited.
Speaker 2: It's in a TV show movie. Surely it can't get it any worse, and it fucking immediately gets worse.
Speaker 1: That's the universe going, what's that you want us to function up?
Speaker 2: Say it again?
Speaker 1: I was like, mum, why would you say that? She was like, what, Well, we're like we're back home now, we're still we're closed, we're on the home stretch. Just leave it. So we were all looking to get the bags right. And for anyone who doesn't know Sydney Airport, you come through the security gates, so like once you go past the security gates, they shut behind you.
Speaker 2: And then those ones that.
Speaker 1: Like automatic doors deal with that's to make sure that people can't go back in without going through security. Oh okay, yep, that makes sense. Not no, No, I'm no expert.
Speaker 2: Well I'm no security exp education done tick because I've learned something.
Speaker 1: And then from that point on there's an escalator that goes down one level underground and that's where you collect your bags. Yeah, I'm with your I was in front. I had Lola in the little pram yep and she was in front of me. So I was like leaning the prem back on the escalator. The escalator was steps going down. So, Lola, it's illegal, you know that, is it?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So I'm going down the escalator, Lola in front of me, tilted back in the pram. Behind me is Nana and Marley. And Marley's at an a now where she's very particular about doing things herself. She doesn't like having a hand held getting on the escalator's as well. Yeah, I want to do it. I've got this. Everyone relaxed. I've got this covered, no big deal. And I'm in front. I know that Nana's got Marley covered. Behind me, maybe like just before we get to the halfway point going down the escalator, I hear a noise. I'm like, what fuck? A turn behind me she is tumbling down down.
Speaker 2: The escalator escalator, Your mumm.
Speaker 1: Is she's coming for me. She's like she's falling gass over tip boom. She missed the step. So Marley, when she got on, she took a step on had a split second where she panicked and then one foot started going on the escalator. The other one was stationary on the platform. So she was kind of doing thing doing the splits. She starts like panicking, Mum, split second decision, trying to rescue Marley by like bending down and like carrying her up.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but Mom's quite unsteady on her feet at the moment. She's kind of said that recently, like stairs, she's got bad foot. We saw it on the cruise ship. You tap her, you blow on her, and she top.
Speaker 2: Legs.
Speaker 1: Yeah. She like, as she went to pick up Marley, she fucking fell, dude, she like, not just fell. She tried to correct herself, but as she corrected herself, she launched out and like the stud as she was like hitting the escalator, and she had her purse with her, so the purse went flying. Sunglasses are out, wallet's gone out, cards are gone everywhere, her phone's gone. And hit someone in the holy shit. And luckily there's a guy there standing in between mum and myself and he stopped her and he also picked up Marley. I was like, oh my good. So I couldn't do anything because I was I was trapped with the trot the pram.
Speaker 2: I can just imagine your Your mum gets startled at the best of times when you say to Matt's mum, you say hey, like if we're just we're sitting here like exactly that this is, and you go, hey, Ellie, we're just going to move table. She'd like, what what's happening now? What are we doing?
Speaker 1: She flips on her back and she's like like a turtle.
Speaker 2: I can imagine her like that started. I was when I didn't see the other day. She looked frightened.
Speaker 1: Because she's heard the stories about you. Okay, right, she said, don't leave me alone with ash in the room.
Speaker 2: What happens between me and your mom in a room is nunny.
Speaker 1: I was like, she's broken a hip. I'm like, she's That's how people in her age die. That's that's how it happens.
Speaker 2: They break your hip, get pneumonia, and die in hospital. Such a sad story happens day in day out. Not to be morbid or anything.
Speaker 1: It's escalators, the biggest killer of old people, the silent killer of this country. There needs to be more wealthy.
Speaker 2: I didn't even know I would.
Speaker 1: Have checked on it.
Speaker 3: Why.
Speaker 1: So we got off and I put it. I sat it down and I wasn't. I was like, I thought we're gonna go to go to the hospital. Oh, I thought she knocked herself in the head like I was. She was like my leg and I was expecting her to lift her skirt up and it'd be like cut open because because it's they're sharp sharp.
Speaker 2: And she ever fallen on an escalator before, never had Holy fuck it heard, I got it. I made the mind a really really really funny story. He he got kicked out of a out of a r s L club that had an escalator escalator, a really long one to get to the exit out. They've been like, get down, get out of here, whatever. And the CCTV footage we've managed to get hold of and you see him and.
Speaker 1: He's he's laying on the escalator all the way down.
Speaker 2: There is on the CCTV who's the security guards behind him? Gets up, starts to like do a break dance at the bottom with the escalator and then just take Actually, that's I need to get that footage. It's really great. But I've fallen on the same set of escalators at the at that pub rs L and fuck on.
Speaker 1: The shin man, it's no good. They'd like so.
Speaker 2: Serrated it's like a serrated nine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But whoever's designed escalators do better?
Speaker 2: Death wish make them out of rubber.
Speaker 1: Yeah, make them like slider. I guess you know. I'm no engineer, but there's got to be a better way. There has to be. Yeah, well it has to be.
Speaker 2: Call some strings, call some people.
Speaker 1: It was a miracle.
Speaker 2: I've been on the world's longest escalator. Do you know that that's a this is the fact, is not a joke.
Speaker 1: You I'll pretend like I'm interested. You tell me that story. Go on.
Speaker 2: I was in Hong Kong and they have like the world's longest escalator and you go all the way up beside of the mountain that goes into the clouds and there's a big viewing deck. Anyway, now back to.
Speaker 1: What can we take your word for it, Let's go to Google. Tell me more about For the record, anyone who is worried Nana Johnson safe and sound is Europe. She's going to Europe tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow, And that was the big concern. She was like, fuck, she's going away to France for two months, two months and this is this is always had a dream as she always had a dream, which was she taught herself French watching like SBS and those weird pornos that are on it, like one in the morning. Another ones. Her dream was when she retired, she was going to go to some little province in France. Nice little French boy and a bake. If she messages me and says, I've found a French man in the countryside legs and so she's going to learn French staying in some little chateau in the countryside. And she was like, I'm not going to be able to go, but thankfully.
Speaker 2: She can find a little French boarder carry around.
Speaker 1: Surely. I mean, one can only hope.
Speaker 2: One can only So she's fine, she's fine, she's leaving. How long is you going for?
Speaker 1: Two months? Okay? Two months? So it will be weird to then have, you know, no Nanna in the house anything. Yeah, because she's a resident. She has she's retired, she has moved in with us. She's now leaving us, and I've just I've just gotten used to her being around.
Speaker 2: It used to break.
Speaker 1: Does your mom ever, like does she do things around the house for example, Like my mom doesn't use a dish washer. She washes everything by hand. That's old school, and I'm like, what are you doing? Like we have technology for this. She's there like lighting a fire in the backyard for hot water, and we have a kettle.
Speaker 2: It was thirty degrees yesterday and Mum put all the washing in the dryer. Not made of fucking money, Jesus. Anyway, I'm glad that your mom's okay, and we will miss her. Earie, we will miss you. I will miss you the most. Matthew Ka is bringing all the treats this easter long we can with an action packed lineup of all your favorite sports.
Speaker 1: I don't know how much you love sport. I could have been a professional athlete. I've always said that I am such a waste of talent. I still watch you of anything. I watched the games and I'm like, I could do that. I could do that.
Speaker 2: I think, why don't they run between their legs more?
Speaker 1: But do you know how? I just quickly do you know who I saw? And I was like, how is he younger than me? Dale Fanukan? Oh have you seen him? Do you know how old he is? Twenty seven? He's thirty two, he's thirty two.
Speaker 2: Well it looks old.
Speaker 1: To men like Dale Fanucan is out there playing for.
Speaker 2: You. Could do it. I could do it.
Speaker 1: Not too late.
Speaker 2: But what do we got coming up?
Speaker 1: Man? We got boxing pay per view, Zoo versus Fundora live and Ash. We had a little session with Zoo while he that guy, he can he knows what he's doing. He knows his way around a pair of boxing. They or may not have broken Rip. My prediction got to support surely he'll take a win.
Speaker 2: You can order that now on main Event with Caro Sports. No KO subscription needed for that one, Matt.
Speaker 1: And we've also got AFL games. We have the big Grand Final rematches between Brisbane and Collingwood on Thursday.
Speaker 2: Come on Brisbane, Yes, and you alright? We've got Esid and Ens and Killer on the Saturday, and then the NL games of this round will be Roosters versus Panthers.
Speaker 1: Come on, the Roosters hate the Panthers, hate them so much. Who else you got there, Mat, Broncos versus Cowboys. That's on the Saturday, Come on the Bronx.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And we've also got Manly versing the St. George Ellawarra Dragons down there at Winn Stadium up the mighty.
Speaker 1: See how are you feeling about Manly? They got they're playing very well.
Speaker 2: Look a classic manly fan. We've got thinking to win comp we will probably lose h S trade at KO. Everyone's welcome, so get on board today with a free trial. We'll leave link in our show notes. Matt let me ask you a quick question.
Speaker 1: Please, have you have you ever been on the longest escalator in the world in Hong Kong?
Speaker 2: It's amazing, God, God give me strength to get through it.
Speaker 1: Have you fucking held that back from me for so long? I feel like I don't even know you.
Speaker 2: Okay, you don't you don't know me. That's just the typically iceberg. Do you know how many escalators I've been on?
Speaker 1: April's like, why are we going to Hong Kong? And You're like, I don't know?
Speaker 2: To prove it?
Speaker 1: I fucking imagine my mum on that thing fall.
Speaker 2: In the way here every time.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: Anyway, I have a question for you, Matte, What do you got for me? Have you ever been in public with a child one of yours and you witness another child doing something quiet, outrageous or naughty that even your toddally goes, oh, yeah, they.
Speaker 1: Shouldn't be doing that. On the cruise ship every night with Oscar, oh man, he was fucking a dream.
Speaker 2: Also, what's the deal with Oscar? What's the deal with Oscar? All of a sudden, he's this nice boy? What do you mean? Actually that's before we get into that. Mom's like, oh, he's different, what do you mean? You snap out of it, bro, He's just so sweet and nice all of a sudden. Maybe because April was not here, that probably makes sense.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Well, he's being nice at home.
Speaker 2: I'll monitor it. Yeah, he's just been nice to everybody all the time.
Speaker 1: Dude, that's great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I think it's so I'll come back to you on that. But I just thought about it.
Speaker 1: I have I witness in his child being naughty. Yeah, I guess when you're at the playground.
Speaker 2: You know, there's like playground seems like a place where they do that.
Speaker 1: There's a kid who you know, would push in the slide and then they'd come over and say, oh, you know, I watched one of the bigger kids, slightly larger, stronger than the other kids, push their way into a line, and May would be like, daddy, he's pushing in and I'm like, yeah, he's a piece of shit. But you know, yeah, you don't really I'm not gonna and I'm not going to step in.
Speaker 2: No, what happened with Oscar and I is we were at the shops. Shops have aisles, Okay, as you know what, I'm trying to set the scene.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, I think I like sweat. I just I wasn't. I didn't know how shops work were laid out. But yeah, depending on the shop they have, they do have aisles.
Speaker 2: So let's just go grocery shops. I have certain aisles which you get things from.
Speaker 1: Go on, I'm with you.
Speaker 2: You're ruining my story.
Speaker 1: I'm on the same page.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I'm in the shops. Obviously with Oscar, we're in an aisle down the aisle, and I hear a bit of a commotion down the aisle, and before I could get my phone out to film anything, a little boy has ridden his pushbike with training wheels. Might I add similar age to Oscar into the grocery shop off the street.
Speaker 1: No no, no, no, no no no.
Speaker 2: First thought you think he's going to get off at the start of the shop, he's bringing the bike into.
Speaker 1: Say a is a bike not too different from a pram?
Speaker 2: No, it's very different. And I feel like he was like like.
Speaker 1: He was all over the shop.
Speaker 2: He was all over the shop. I thought he was just going to get off at the front of the shop leave bike there. And first of all, I was like, where are your fucking parents. He's ridden way ahead of his parents. Yeah, helmet on, thank god. And I was like, it's strange and didn't think a whole heap of it. And then I hear a commotion, another one. I hear a commotion, another comm second commotion, second commotion up further in the shop. This kid's riding up and down the aisles, and Oscar's like, what the fuck is going on? Either what the fuck's going on? Or what have I been missing out? Hell of a time? And I was like, this kid's out of control. And the parents come in. They've all got off their bikes, all with helmets on, running up and down the aisle trying to catch this kid. And they're like which isle is and he's got siblings and they're like, oh, this one, this one, And you could just hear it was just like a huge commotion.
Speaker 1: What were the staff doing. They don't want to do everyone'sdn't shot.
Speaker 2: Everyone was just like I was like, what the fuck? I was trying to film because I thinking he was coming up the aisle I was in, I couldn't I was riding the mills, I couldn't get to the end.
Speaker 1: And Oscar was just like, what, like, he shouldn't be.
Speaker 2: Doing this, he shouldn't be doing and the parents are yelling out, and they started yelling out his name. And have you guess what his name was?
Speaker 1: Dennis?
Speaker 2: The men close Maverick. Ah, it's in the name. You think. It's just doing whatever the fuck he wants.
Speaker 1: Parents have no one to blame but themselves for that. He's like, well, have you seen top gun? And he's just like at the end of it, they're.
Speaker 2: Like and he's like, right, I just see him right out the shop door and off down the street like nothing fucking happened. It just made me think I'm doing all right over here. Things aren't so bad after all. And don't name you kid, Maverick. No, but Oscar was in shop.
Speaker 1: You have to be like, that's not how you behave Oscar.
Speaker 2: He knew that was wrong.
Speaker 1: Maverick is a fucking rogue child who.
Speaker 2: Because I wish you name me Maverick. It's time for our favorite segment, Matt Meltdown or tantrum of the week.
Speaker 3: It's a fun.
Speaker 2: It'sn't fun? Okay, cool mat would you like?
Speaker 1: Can I just say interrupt for one second? I find that intro song hilarious. We did people, We did some stories on Instagram asking for feedback can improve and a lot of people said change the intro song.
Speaker 2: Well, the jokes on you because we're going to do it last.
Speaker 1: If you want it to stay, can you just message us.
Speaker 2: I think it's the best thing we've ever done. Okay, Oh quit very show. This is from Stevie. Stevie has written in and said at three am this morning, when my two year old woke up, he started insisting that I read him a book about spiders. He says in brackets here picture specific a hardcover, large educational book about spiders.
Speaker 1: And when I said no, it's three am and time to go back to sleep, he started wailing and flailing his limbs around in bed, begging me whilst crying, please Mummy, please, a spider book, please, please please, And he carried on for a solid amount of time. What the fuck there is nothing more annoying when the kids wake up, And that when we were talking about that window between like two to five o'clock, where there's a risk they may not go back to bed.
Speaker 2: You never know what we're going to get. Where did they get a cyclopedia of very good? I've got one for you, Jordi with an I is currently pregnant. Congratulations with morning sickness.
Speaker 1: Oh that sucks.
Speaker 2: And my toddler lost it this morning crying because I wouldn't let her play with my vomit back. I wasn't ready for that.
Speaker 1: That reminds me of April's morning sickness.
Speaker 2: And we used to have to travel the city every day for work, and April is a trooper. She used to get on the bars and vomit on the inner vomit bag on the bars, and she would refuse to not get the bars or refuse. Her boss is like, you can work from home, and she was like no. Do you know how many times I've had to physically get her off the bars to get an uber into work when she had morning sicknesses.
Speaker 1: How were people reacting?
Speaker 2: I guess did she look very sneaky? Oh?
Speaker 1: Were people like this chick's on a still on a bender from the night mat.
Speaker 2: She look pregnant. I think the belly gave it away.
Speaker 1: Will people just start to move away politely dunk. Yeah, she was pretty good at containing it. She's like, I'm only going to eat nice smelling food and that.
Speaker 2: Anyway, What have you.
Speaker 1: Got from me, young Ashton?
Speaker 2: What have I got for you, young Matthew? List of questions matt did you sleep train your kids by letting them cry themselves to sleep? If so, how did you cope with them screaming? My daughter is eight months old and we're trying to get her to sleep with us being in the room. She screams and breaks my heart and I have to go and help her.
Speaker 1: It's tough, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Look there's going to be people against screaming and not screaming. First of all, with Mary, we did it in two different ways. With Marley, I look back and I think I spoken about this before on the podcast. I look back and I'm like, gosh, I was so stupid. She used to put Marley to sleep by rocking her in our arms every single time she had a nap during the day. At nighttime in the morning, she would go to sleep in our arms. We would then transition her into the cop which, as any parent knows, it's so bloody hard to transition from like it doesn't matter if it's like a meter. As soon as we would put her in the cop she would kind of wake up, so it would take forever.
Speaker 1: And then in the opposite of that was was Lola. She was a screamer, and so we would have to just put her down, let her scream for five minutes, go in, pat her on the bottom, and then repeat that process. And eventually she would get so tired from screaming that she would then fall asleep, almost from exhaustion from the crying. And I know it sounds bad, and it was hard, more so for Laura. I could almost block it out. It's just white noise for me, whereas it would break Laura's heart hearing our daughter screen.
Speaker 2: No doubt about it, there's no doubt about it. I know you're trying to do what's best in the long run. But like I think I was told when we because we had a sleep consultant in, I was told that, look, if they're going up and down, up and down, it's okay, But when they're up and they're not coming back down, then you need to go in because then it could be you know, because they're going to be upset if you're not there, depending on at what level of upset that is. So like we add a similar combination to what you did, rock them to sleep for so long, and then you transition and they wake up and they're not in your arms and be like what and then yeah, then trying all these different ways to transition. Maybe we'll try and unpack that a bit more on another episode, because there's all different ways.
Speaker 1: I mean, even even now, if we hear a slight murmur in the kids room, Laura's like, Mommy's coming and I'm grabbing and I'm like, just give give them in a second, just see if they settle back down. It's not rush in there.
Speaker 2: It's also your bat hearing. As a parent, you're just like sonar hearing. You can hear them move a little bit, you like someone's moving.
Speaker 1: I can't'm deaf as anything.
Speaker 2: Oh really, I'm like literally like a dog whistle.
Speaker 1: A mouse is walking across the floor and Laura's like, there's something up there, quick save them. I've got a question for you, and this is off the back of an interview. You know, Lily Allen, the pop star, the pop star, big fan, this singer. I thought you would be did you see what she said recently in an interview about being a mum enlightened me? So? Yes, Lily Allen has said, and I quote, my children ruined my career. I love them and they complete me, but in terms of pop stardom, they totally ruined it. Okay. I get really annoyed when people say you can have it all, because quite frankly, you can't. What are your thoughts on that? A? Is it too harsh for her to say that ruined my.
Speaker 2: Pop star career a chance instead of chats? Look, I can't really totally agree because that My kids are pretty much my whole career right now. I'm in a fucking dad podcast. I host a dad podcast and next to another dad. I'd be nothing without that, nothing without you, But I'd be everything without you as well. I'd be a pop star. We could start this, we could start a boy band anyway. Look, I agree you can't have it all all the time. I think you can have it all in certain areas at certain times.
Speaker 1: Although I haven't, I haven't heard anyone go public with that narrative. I kind of think it's pretty unanimous at any any parent out there, None of them are saying you can have it all, like, surely not. I'm not thinking it. I'm yet to hear anyone say that because we put.
Speaker 2: A pole out there. Do you think you can have it all?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, hey, we will put a pole out there, camparent have it all? I think you can't. You've always got to sacrifice something, whether it's friends, whether it's your career, where it's being a parent, like I know that, you know, like Laura, like, I don't know how the hell she does it. She's got her jewelry business, she's got the podcast. Say she has it all. No, she doesn't. Okay what she's listen.
Speaker 2: She will go love and affection from manager.
Speaker 1: She still gets that. Oh yeah, I bet you. We managed to squeeze that in there. Don't you worry.
Speaker 2: I'm not worried at all.
Speaker 1: Mine was a joke. She will go long periods where she doesn't see her friends, like she doesn't socialize because she's just working non stop. You her best friend, man, I thank you, thank you. You are correct.
Speaker 2: So she hit in fact has it all.
Speaker 1: And then and then there's times when you know she has to then realize she's like, I'm not you know, I've got to go out. I've got to see the girls, her girlfriends, because that area of her life gets totally neglected because she's so focused on me, but her career and the kids.
Speaker 2: It depends what you're all is as well, right, what is it all exactly? You're all could be so much smaller than Laura at all. You're all could be your family and then you have it all. But I do philosophy. Thank you there. Now, that's all we have time for.
Speaker 1: I will just say just before we go, I will say that I disagree why I agree with her sentiment. This is Lily Allen that you can't have it all, But I totally disagree that. Hey, there are plenty of pop stars out there, like Beyonce. Look at Pink for example. Pink's on stage when.
Speaker 2: It comes down to how much money you've got?
Speaker 1: No, but like Lily Allen, like she.
Speaker 2: Is not as successful as Beyonce. Is no one as successful as Beyonce and I won't hear it.
Speaker 1: But when you look at someone like Pink and she's really obviously she's got a very talented daughter, She's released songs with her daughter, she's on tour with her entire family. She's got a daughter on stage.
Speaker 2: Be more flexible. No, I'm just saying it can happen.
Speaker 1: Happen. I don't think. I don't think as a as a blanket statement that being a parent is the bullet into your career. No, be more like Pink a spider monkey. And on that note, yes, I do want to say also thank you to everyone who gave us their feedback on stories. Yes, coming up to a year anniversary. Obviously we care about the product. We care about data vice.
Speaker 2: If you will that of it.
Speaker 1: I have an idea that we should do something. It's coming up on the twenty six next month. We'll plan something for that. But if there the feedback that you, as a listener wants to give us, we are all ears either dm us, email us or leader of you enough a podcast, we'd love that it will be the dream.
Speaker 2: And on that note, getting out bye, so yeah bye bye.
Speaker 3: Two.
Speaker 1: Doting Dad's podcast acknowledges the traditional custodians of country throughout Australia and the connections to land, see and community.
Speaker 2: We pay our respects to their elders past and present and extend that respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islander people's today This episode was recorded on gadagal Land.