Speaker 1: It's been a long year, hasn't it. How are you feeling? Are you feeling a bit tired, maybe a little irritated counting down the workdays left in the year. Well so are we, Which is Whileanna and I thought we would give you guys a chance to do the work today and write our script. So we've asked you for all the questions that have been on your mind this year. And we have never done an episode like this, and we thought we would end twenty twenty two with a big bank. So here it is Leanne and I with our first ever Q and a session with some of the most common nutrition couch questions. Hello, I am Susie Burrow and emilyan Wood and each week we bring you the Nutrition caut Podcast, the bi weekly podcast that keeps you up to date with everything that you need to know in the world of nutrition. To Leanne twenty twenty two, you give me your summary.
Speaker 2: I'm just exhausted.
Speaker 1: I think about it.
Speaker 2: What are you like? I feel like it's almost gone in slow motion the last two years of like COVID lockdown. I was like, I just think, I'm like, when's life going to go? Kind of back to normal? And I'm like, wait, I think this is our new normal. I mean, I must say that my year was very blessed because it was first year that we had mire, so I can't take anything away from that. But in the same respect, I think it just was a really tough year for a lot of people. And yeah, bring on twenty twenty three, I say, how about you.
Speaker 1: Well, I think there's my twenty twenty two has been some great highs but some terrible lows. So it's really difficult to say it's been a terrible year because it's been an amazing year for the podcast, and we want to do a big shout out to all of our listeners. It's really exceeded our expectations of how successful it's been. We continue to grow. It's a huge enjoyment. We love working together, so that's a big thank you. That's a big pro But certainly had some downs man, particularly recently, So you know, I think you know the game of life. It's tricky, and we just power on. And I think for both of us, bringing positive nutritional information to so many people brings us great joy and for that we are very very grateful. So thank you for listening. And we don't take that for granted. Absolutely, But let's get onto the questions because we can reminisce or we can just give people what they want they out all right, So I'm going to throw to you first, and I think we just have some turns. Hey, have I got a list of you know, we're going to take turns? All right, So I'll ask you the first one. So I love this question. Actually, what is the smallest change people can make for the biggest weight loss results?
Speaker 2: Good question, well, great question. Honestly, I think it comes from nutrition. Like when you think about weight loss, I think most people try to out exercise a bad diet or they think I'm just going to start the gym or hit it twice a day, or just go for extra walks. And while I see in those great results, but I think with exercise you have to add more time into your day. And I don't know about you, Susie, but who do you know that has extra time to add more exercise? In nutrition is where you can get the biggest bang for your buck. And in all honesty, one of the best things I do with my clients is actually cut down their snacking, particularly that non hungry type eating. So when they're eating when they're they're bored, they're stressed, they are emotional, they've had a bad day, maybe they've had a good day. They would reward themselves with some food. It's all of that non hungry type eating. If you just take an honest assessment of a three day food history, how much of what you were eating was, you know, because you were truly physically hungry, and how much of it was because somebody offered you something, or you wanted the kitchen because you were bored, or you know, you felt like a bit of a treat because it was Friday afternoon and you think, oh, well it's Friday, I deserve it. How much of it is because you're actually truly hungry, and how much of it is because you just felt like it.
Speaker 1: The only thing I would add is, I think, and you alluded to it in the beginning, that people if you go strict initially for three to five days, you'll get that initial drop. And that's really motivating, because what I find is that people do three quarters of a meal plan and then they never quite get there and they never get that initial change. So I think you alluded to it in terms of diet or nutrition being a big part of it. Certainly, I think that focus initially, so starting a new regime or program, being able to give it one hundred percent focus and sort of get that deficit and drop is highly predictive of success, both scientifically and also anecdotally. So yeah, if you are planning to sort of give your diet an overhaul and really focus on it, try and do it in a time where you can over the holidays rather than sort of let extra slip in each day and then get frustrated that you're not seeing any results. First up, all right, question for me, the difference between a dietitian and a nutritionist. We've had this one before, but it's always good to reiterate because there's so many people talking nutrition. So the first thing is, dietitian is a scientifically recognized qualification and profession. So to be called a dietitian you have to be registered, you have to have a university qualification and a professional accreditation. So all dietitians are nutritionists, but not vice versa. So when it comes to nutritionists, it's not a regulated term. Anyone can use it really, whether you've done a certificate or have an interest even versus someone who may also have a university qualification. Now I know many really highly qualified nutritionists who have a degree and experts in their field. So I think the main recommendation I would have is, if you're getting your dietary advice from a nutritionists, just check that they've got a university degree, because you know, you're playing with people's lives. It's important. It's medication, it's disease states, it's disease risk, it's your health, it's your life. It's a big deal. And I would be absolutely checking that. There's a big difference between doing a six week or three month or six month course versus going to university for three years and studying the science of nutrition, because nutrition is a science. It's not someone who just loves food. It's about actually understanding the biochemical impact and physiological effect. So you know, dieticians, as I said, are can be specialized and working hospitals and are credited. But indeed nutritionists can also be. But you just want to check they've got that university qualification. All right, one for you, because I don't use them. The best herbs and spices leanne to spice. Some not use herbs as spiers to lazy.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, I love herbs and spicies, particularly because I'm a got health dietitian. And is that some new research lately just show us that just a small amount, I think it's something like, oh, I don't want to quote this off the top of my head, Susie, like maybe ten twelve grams a day. So small amounts a teaspoon or two of herbs and spices a day, it can make a really positive impact on your gut health, which we know could in turn positively impact things like your immunity and also your mental health potentially long term as well. So my favorite garlic always chili, rosemary, tumeric, and carmittin. I'd love to add into a curry with something like some coconut milk. I love adding cinnamon into anything breakfast Wise, Paprika is one of my favorite things to add, particularly if my clients don't like spices. They say, I don't like chili, I don't like you know, garlic effects my tummy. I use a lot of paprika for those type of clients. And then out of the garden, fresh herbs, things like mint and parsley never go astray. If you're trying to add a little bit more into salad. You know those summer rolls, rice paper rolls, that sort of thing you can do a lot. So I really think actually bought one of our family members. I won't say I know who, so I don't ruin the Christmas surprise, but a little kitchen herb garden for their kitchen. It has like a little light to keep them fresh and a little thing you put over it to keep the you know, the bugs and stuff out as well. So I really do think everybody should have a garden except Susi, and definitely a well stopped spice rack because we know of the positive impacts it can have to your gut health and when we're talking about gout health. It also adds plant points to your week as well, so we talk about different types of fiber and whole grains and legumes. Herbs and spices are included in your plant points. So we should all be aiming for at least at a minimum of thirty different types of plants a week, and herbs and spices are included in them. A lucky Persusi she eats so many vegetables and salads that she usually gets her thirty without them.
Speaker 1: I use garlic. If that's counting. I use garlic.
Speaker 2: It's definitely counting.
Speaker 1: All right. Do you ever fight? No, we've never thought, have we.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: I think that and I saw this and I thought it's actually interesting, isn't it.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: I think that there's a real mutual respect. And what I've noticed is that if you say something to me like no, we're not doing.
Speaker 2: That or vice versa.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I'm like quite like okay, you know, because I really respect that. But we also would sort of debate it, like we had an issue actually talking about it. Upcoming product manual, which we've launched, of course, if you haven't already, you can get it at our website, the Nutrition couch dot com, which is all our favorite products in each category, so I must have for the supermarket. But we I said to you that can't go in it's got MSG and you were like, oh, come on, and I was like, nah, I just can't no, because I think that that is we're good communicators in general, and we've said from the start that if there's a problem, we're best just to bring it up, like if we feel any resentment, you know, if someone thinks they're doing more work, or they think they're not being paid correctly, or let's just keep it very I'm quite honest. That's one of my core character strengths actually, and I probably think yours is you're pretty honest with things, and you're a lot younger than me, so you'll be like a been in a in a TIS like you'll be like ma nah, and I'll be like okay, and you'll be like, try to convince me, and I'm like, no, of course, you know, because I do have that respect. But I think we're also strong enough that if there was something we did believe in, like I believed in the msgry shouldn't go in. So yeah, I think I can't guarantee it won't happen, But we've got plenty of other people to fight within our day to day life. We don't have to put it in pig fights with each other.
Speaker 2: We like each other too much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like this one too. Lean Actually, best pub food options.
Speaker 2: Absolutely the chicken. Put me you heard it here first, No, just kidds. I would probably say just the lean protein. So looking at I always suggest like a steak for my clients and they're quite shocked by that, but I say, look, we're not going for the three four hundred gram rom steak. We're not going for the massive marbled wagou. We're going for the lean, smaller I fill it, which hopefully is like one hundred and eighty grams or less, you know, ideally one fifty. And then we're going to pair that with, say like a jack of potato, hold the sour cream, hold the bacon, hold the cheese, and you know, some nice veggies on the side, or pair that with a salad and a couple of chippies to round out the meal. So my favorite options are always some sort of guled prote like a I fill it, or potentially a roach chicken breast, or maybe some grilled fish or even some prawns or something. If you've got a fancy pub near you and they offer some prawns.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's a good one, because I think people think, O the salad's always best. But I'm of the opinion that if you're at the pub, you do want to have something pubby, otherwise you'll be annoyed and end up eating lots of rubbish later. And I would be the same steak or salmon or I don't mind if people have a schnitty as long as they have it without the chips, because I find sometimes it's very filling, it's a nice piece of lean chicken breast, and I'll encourage sometimes my ladies to take it home so they've got something safe for their wrap the next day. If the portions are quite large and it goes really nicely with the salad, so then you've still kind of had that pub indulgence. But the trick is, like we've said, you've got to ask for the chips not to be on the plate, or when I go with my boys, I take them off my plate and put them on someone else's, so I might have one or two, but I'm fussy with chips as well. I won't have them unless they're really good. So yeah, I think we're quite aligned with that, you know, because I often have my clients will get the steak sandwich or the rezoto and I'm like, actually, I probably would have gone the shnitty, and they're always a bit surprised by that. So yeah, if you're going to the pub, you want something pubby, but also something that's going to be filling and that you can get some veggies or salad with. I also really like this one the end, a dietician told me that I don't need to lose weight, but I am obese. Should I lose weight?
Speaker 2: I don't know if the question is should. It's really understanding the clinical impacts of that, because we have very good research to showers that somebody who is clinically obese. Now I'm not talking overweight, I'm not talking oh I wish I could lose three to five kilos. Most people who are, you know, by medical definition clinically obese are probably WHATTSUZI fifteen twenty kilos heavier than they ideally should be. So they're carrying additional body fat which is going to have health implications long term, whether that's metabolically, whether that leads to things like type two diabetes problems or issues with their cholesterol, their blood pressure, or whether it just leads to them wearing out their knees a little bit soo, because if you're carrying an additional twenty thirty forty fifty plus kilos around on your knees, you're going to wear them out and your back a lot sooner. And I used to work very closely with some physios in a knee clinic, and one of the largest risk factors was obesity, So I don't know if we're the right people to tell you that you should. The real question should be, you know, what is my health like? Am I happy? Am I full of energy? Am I confident in how my clothes are fitting? Can I go up the staircase without feeling like I'm completely winded? Do I have issues with my knees on my back? So I really think it's a health implications. You know, how is my cholesterol? Am I meeting all of my nutrient requirements? Do I have issues with my gut health or with my digestion? So I really think we just need to take a step back, perhaps even take the focus off weight if that's what you want, but really look at just doing a general assessment of your health and your body and seeing how you feel. I think it's probably the best answer I can give.
Speaker 1: I think absolutely. You know, the question is always you have to answer it. Would you feel better and function better if you lost weight? And for most people the benefits outweigh the negatives, But that may also be timing. It might be dependent on other factors and things going on in life that it's not a priority, or you don't have the emotional capacity to focus on weight. But I think that it has to always come down to you and what your best self is in your body. And I would say anecdotally nine out of ten times, if I have someone who's carrying significant amounts of weight, if you brutally ask them, are they if they could lose weight relatively easy easily, would they? I would vote nine out of ten, would say yes, if not ten, because it's for me functional movement of the body, and when a body is carrying significantly more killers. I'm not talking two or three or being you know fi, I'm not talking being you know, sixty eight kilos. If you're at your Lena sixty three, I'm talking being eighty ninety one hundred kilos. You know it has an impact functionally. Don't move as freely, you get breathless, cut walk as easily, you get sweaty, and these start to impact your ability to live your best life. And I think that that's sort of the question to ask, do you feel that you're getting the most out of your life carrying that weight? And if you're really honest, probably you know, if you could do it without too much restriction and felt like it was a lifestyle change. The benefits would outweigh any negatives in my clinical experience.
Speaker 2: And I'm just sad that that Susie does tend to work with smaller ladies. So when you're saying one hundred killers, you know, I've had clients were a lot taller, you know, perhaps a lot more musclia, and they'd be, you know, one hundred and twenty, one hundred and fifty. When I used to work in the obesity clinic, the prebarioty clinic at the hospital, I'd have clients who are over two hundred killers. So I don't think the weight itself is the well, the number itself is something that we can say, Okay, if this is what you have to lose weight, if you're this weight, you have to lose weight. I really do think, like Zusie and I have discussed, it's really about your health and your functional movement and your disease risk long term and where you carrying that weight, because we do know that the research shows is that an abdominal measurement can actually tell us far more in terms of your risk factor's long term than actually the weight on the scale.
Speaker 1: True, true, true, And I will also say X athletes too. You're an ex athlete and have a sort of heavier set frame as a result of a lot of muscle mass, certainly you know the weights may not be as relevant or probably waste is another good reference. If your waiste is over one hundred centimeters leanne bone broth. Do you eat bone broth?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Don't do you?
Speaker 2: Oh God, no bone growth worth? The hype is the question for me. It's a hard no. I have so many clients. I met one lady a couple of months ago who signed up with me, and she was drinking it for breakfast and that was all she was having. That was the first change I made to it die. I was like, let's get in some proteins, some glcium, some fiber. I just don't see the hype around bone broth. We don't have the research or the science to support it by all means. If you'd like to use a nice bone broth as part of a meal, like a nourishing soup, by all means, but we don't have the research to support that it magically heals your gut health. We don't you know, the collagen and it the protein, and it's just not worth it. As a standalone product, you would have to combine that with a well nourishing meal like a chicken and vegetable soup or something like that to actually, for me, it'd be beneficial if you're just going to sip on cops of bone brush throughout the day. For me, there's nothing of research or value to support it being worth the cost of it. Absolutely not.
Speaker 1: All right, is lower cow alcohol better than spirit? So I'll answer this one. So when we're talking about the lower col alcohols, you might be talking about a light beer or some of the new very low calorie wines that you can get, or even some of those kind of alcoholic celss like a water. Have to be careful with that. So a nip of spirits is roughly sixty calories, and a lot of those are pretty similar. I think that for me, without having thought about this too deeply, the benefit of a clear spirit tends to have less preservatives and can be kind of a cleaner way to enjoylcohol in moderation, particularly if you have with low calorie mixes, whereas sometimes with things like wines and beers you can have additives that cannot be is what we'd described as clean. You know and linked to stronger hangovers. But I think that with alcohol, it's whatever floats you boat. If you love wine and you're trying to control your calories, the low coale wine's fantastic, you know. I like a clean spirit. I think you know you know what you're getting, things like vodka gin with a local mixer. But it's more what flavor you enjoy and what taste, as opposed to drinking something that you don't love because you think that it's better. All right, this one for you. Leanne, I am so active, but see no weight loss on the scale with what's going on.
Speaker 2: The more activity you do, the hungrier you get. So I would just check in with yourself and say, or you're so active, why is that? Is that because you're you're an athlete, or you're training for a particular goal, say like you want to run a marathon in the next six months. Do you need to be doing the level of activity that you're doing, Because generally the more you move, the you get therefore you eat more. Therefore there's no results on the scale. So often people think the more exercise I do, the more weight loss you'll lose. But Susie and I often see the opposite of that. We actually cut down a lot of our clients in terms of their activity, or cut down the intensity of the activity that they're doing. Just get them to do more lower intensity stuff like walking, and actually we tighten the nutrition and boom, there's a big drop on the scale. Often. So I would just say, look at the type of activity you're doing it. But it's a lot of high intensity stuff. If there's a lot of weights, that's what drives up hunger. But also if you're someone who's doing forty five sessions in the morning, an hour walking at nighttime, then you're going and playing some social netball and that's just Monday, I would hasten to say that you're overdoing it. I think you're doing too much. And I think for most of my clients, if I had to put a number on it, Susie, on average, most of them are working out three maybe four days a week, that's it. And on average most of them are dropping five, ten, fifteen kilos. So we don't have to overexercise to see those great results on the scales. If you don't have to be doing that level of activity, cut it back and tweak your nutrition. I think you'll find that your hunger will drop down, you won't need as much throughout the day, and you'll see those weight loss results. By all means, we're not saying don't exercise. Exercise is wonderful from a health perspective, a cardiac perspective, a mental health perspective. But I think for a lot of us we're overdoing it because we want to try and create a bigger deficit calorie wise, but all we're doing is driving up our hunger and it kind of backfires for a lot of us.
Speaker 1: True, all right, does the new Nutrition Couch Product Guide include gluten free options leanne.
Speaker 2: Yes, Yes, yes, yes, So for those of you that haven't heard of it, because I don't know if we've really spriked on the potty so far. We have our new supermarket product Guide. So this is Austrain based supermarket, so we do apologize for our overseas listeners. This guide is really just for our Aussie clients. We go through the best supermarket products in your local supermarkets basically, and yes we have lots of gluten free options. We have lots of bigger options, vegetarian options. We've got a whole section in there for kids snacks as well, so it's really appropriate for the whole family, and it just makes your It just reduces down the amount of time that you have on the amount of hours that you have to spend in the supermarket. You don't have to read those terribly tiny nutrition labels. We literally have Susie and I favorite product out of all of the ranges. What's our favorite tomato sauce, what's our favorite you know, different types of proteins, what's our favorite yogat, bread wraps, kid snacks? All of that sort of thing. The Guard is eighty pages long. Big.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is eighty pages, and a shout out to Bronte who helped a lot with our edit and putting it together, and also your sister who helped us get it up, and of course David because it was a massive amount of work and we're really proud of it. So thanks to all those people who helped to get us up in time for Christmas.
Speaker 2: Percent And the guide is a really big one. So if you haven't received it or it's bounced back, checking your junk mauth first, and then a lot of emails are actually blocking it because the attachment is so big. Because if you just send us an email. We can kind of like downsize that or send you a link to do it for a direct download as well. So it's available on the nutritioncouch dot com. There is a product or a sales page there and you can see it under the product guide.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, and that's my onn because it's how lucky. Last one, what are your favorite Christmas indulgences. I'll go first. I like smoked oysters because I'm very basic. I like, oh, I like a cheeky Bailey's on Christmas Eve and good French champagne. With my sister, we have roast turkey, that's what we traditionally have, and we always get like imported chocolates from overseas and share them around while we watch the Christmas carols. I'm pretty basic. I just like nice salads and good quality food. But yeah, probably seafood is the main thing really that we pull out, you know, the great prawns and oysters. So they're my favorites. Simple.
Speaker 2: What about you, I'm like you, I'm so basic. I'm not someone I don't like. My sister always every year she makes the you know, the rumballs, she makes the white chocolate apricop balls. She makes the peppermint bark and I'm just not into that sort of stuff. Like, don't get me wrong, I have my soul foods, but for me, I'd love a glass of French rose. Or for me, I love the prawns and the mango. That's my favorite thing about Christmas, and I think always having a summer Christmas where we live in Australia, it's always been about the good food. The salad we do turkey and ham, and my family we always do prawns. We always do lots of mango and salads and fresh fruits. So for me, it's about the cheese platter, the French rose and the mango and prawns.
Speaker 1: I shared. Do you like a cheki rumble? I do make those. That's fair cool. Well. That brings us to the end of the Nutrition Couch Podcast for twenty twenty two. If you haven't done so already, we would love for you to check out our brand new product guide that's available on our website, the nutritioncouch dot com and it will share with you all of Leanne and My favorite products. And we want to take this opportunity to say by thank you for your support and to wish you an extremely happy and healthy New Year and a very merry Christmas with your family.
Speaker 2: And just letting you know that we are having a two week break on the Nutrition Couch and we will be back with the first episode of twenty twenty three on January the eighth, So have a wonderful, RESTful holiday period and we will catch you guys next year.
Speaker 1: The Bustle spot spe spe strong Ar