Speaker 1: Welcome back to TV Reload. My name's Benjamin Norris, and on this podcast, I'll be going behind the scenes with the biggest players in television. Last week I took a break as I was lucky enough to guess on two other people's podcasts, so I kind of felt like that was enough of my voice in the podcast world for last week without my weekly dose of TV Reload, while I'm back this week with an amazing guest, and I'll tell you what it is worth the way. If you want to check out those podcasts, just search board best Mates with Blake and podcast hosts Revealed, let me know what you think. Both were extremely different chats, but super cool to be asked on other people's podcasts. This week, I've been lucky enough to watch the first few episodes of the rebooted gossip Girl, which is coming to Binge on July sixth. The new Gossip Girl is set seven years later at the same school you'd remember Blair and Serena attending. And it's our whole new drama drama drama for some new teenagers. And guess what gossip Girl is back with more to say, I actually had a lot of fun watching this show. And I hope it finds a new audience while creating some nostalgia for the old fans. I also saw the first six episodes of Lux Listening, which is a fantastic new reality series debuting on July ninth on Amazon Prime Video. Lux Listening Sydney follows three elite agents as they negotiate multimillion dollar deals in one of the most competitive real estate markets in the world, Sydney, Australia. I've been calling it the Real Hustle of Sydney as it feels like a Real Housewives format, but with property instead of fabulous outfits. Now today is a really fun chat. It's with Mali. He's the twenty twenty one winner of Big Brother. I got to spend the morning with him and he was beyond delightful, so calm, so cool, and more honest than you'd ever expect. I ask him all of the hard hitting questions like where's the new house being built for Big Brother Vip and the next Big Brother twenty twenty two series, his interesting relationship dynamics with fellow contestants like Ari and Daniel Yes. I also asked him about the manipulation of the game to keep contestants that are more popular in the show ask him whether or not he thinks it's fair. We also talk about the challenges and if they need to be more mindful and less physical. There's something in this chat for everyone. There are some really important life lessons that extend out of the Big Brother world, which I think is going to be relevant for everyone. So let's get started with Australia's latest Big Brother champion. As he spills the tea and puts the tin in TV.
Speaker 2: Reload, I spoke about how proud I am to be representing a minority group and people of color.
Speaker 1: This is it, Australia, the moment you've all been waiting for.
Speaker 2: And as lame and cliche as it sounds, just be yourself.
Speaker 1: London to my new house mom.
Speaker 2: Whatever they showed, yes, that was me. That is me, through and through and I'm so grateful for this whole experience. So thank you Big Brother, and thank you Australia. Yeah, I'm interested to see where it's going to be. I'm not sure if it's in New South Wales or Queensland or where it might be, but I've heard it looks wonderful. The winner a Big Brother twenty twenty one. I think you just have to be yourself and embrace who you are.
Speaker 1: How are you made to you?
Speaker 2: Well, I'm great, I'm great, Ben. I feel a lot better now after having some sleep, being able to rest a little bit and being back home. I think so, No, I'm feeling great, really good.
Speaker 1: What a ride, hay to.
Speaker 2: Say the least, bloodyel What a ride? What a ride? What a journey? The ups and downs of not only being in the house but then also coming out and then watching it all on TV and then this huge lull and limbo period waiting until to see if you're going to win this whole thing? Like, what a ride?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: There's so many elements, you know, Well, I.
Speaker 1: Guess now that you've had some time for the dust to settle, you know, there's been forty eight hours or however long has it really, sun Ken? And how do you feel about being the winner of Big Brother else? You know?
Speaker 2: It hit me last night and I was driving home with my dad and my brother, and I think it's starting to settle and sink in a little more and more each day. But I just sat there and I was like, I am number one in Australia. Like I'm the winner of Big Brother in Australia, not just you know, my little suburb that I live in, not just Melbourne. I'm the winner of Big Brother in Australia. Like it's starting to now sink in. Bennette's the craziest feeling, as I'm sure you can relate to. Like it's just a wild, wild feeling, and I don't think it will truly sink in for another couple more days.
Speaker 1: How did the girls feel and how did they respond to their runners up status? Because they responded I think really well on stage and on the show. But they do they have any tough words with you backstage or did you see any tears?
Speaker 2: And they're just beautiful those girls. I commend them truly. You saw s Jay's reaction on stage. She really wanted me to win this thing. She's a beautiful, beautiful, amazing woman. And then Christina, Man, what a good head she has on her shoulders, Like backstage and afterwards and all that, she's cracking jokes, we're having a laugh, she's talking about the money that I'm going to be apparently splitting with her now, like you know, just having a great moment with me and just having a laugh about the whole thing.
Speaker 1: How did you feel and did you feel proud that a person of color has taken out the competition again And is that even a factor in your mind?
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, Ben, And especially towards near the endgame there, I think it started becoming a little more prevalent in the back of my mind as something that is so special. I didn't truly think about that when coming in because that's just not what I really think about. But within the world we live in, like this is huge, This is a huge moment, and I started really thinking about that and embracing that towards the back end, and I did talk about it within the diaryem It wasn't put out to air, but I spoke about how proud I am to be representing a minority group and people of color and being an inspiration to these people to show, you know, young kids, that you can make it far and succeed in life looking and talking and sounding like myself. So I think that was a huge moment for me as well.
Speaker 1: I think it's important for Australians and anybody to be seen on screen, and I hope that from people being able to see your journey on the show and see your popularity on the show that it does inspire more people of color life for these sorts of shows.
Speaker 2: I couldn't agree more than I think this could potentially change somebody's life who's watching this and allow them to realize that they can exactly apply for shows like this or even gain other successes in life and be confident doing so. You know what I mean.
Speaker 1: It was so emotional watching the finale. I wanted to be a fly on the wall after the show just to find out what did your dad say to you after the cameras stop rolling? Can you share that with us?
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course, of course he was. I know when dad's really, really, really emotional and proud is when he's very, very speechless. He can't say a lot, he doesn't have a lot of words. Yeah, just so words. I don't know's I know, it's crazy, it's crazy, is.
Speaker 1: True with me?
Speaker 2: She's the one true, the number one? Yeah, well, this short I could hear it in his voice, and you could hear it a little bit up on stage. Actually, yeah, it was a little brokey and he was a little choked up. But yeah, afterwards he just he held me and told me that I did it, and how proud he was of me, and how proud Mum would be of me, and that was that was a special moment from him and my brother hearing that, you know, because I knew that really came from their heart. And it was just such a special moment for us three boys, because you know, I felt Mum's presence there and I knew she was watching over her boys and so proud of them. So it was a special moment for us, especially for Dad. I think he felt relieved, to be honest, man, I think you know hard It's been a hard journey for him too, so I think he felt really relieved.
Speaker 1: I'm glad that it's over. You know, Sonya Kruger is so hands on with this show and she's so supportive of all of the housemates. Did she manage to give you any advice? I mean, you know, she's been the host of it five times now and seeing so many different contestants go through, seeing so many people win, was she able to we were able to have a moment with her, and did she give you any advice?
Speaker 2: Look, I didn't have a specific moment with her, but I think you know, Sonya's presence, ben I mean even in rehearsals, right, Yeah, we'd go through and we all had to practice winning, like we'll, you know, just have a call out for all of us, right. And I think just during that moment, indirectly, Sonya was even you know, speaking to probably all three of us in that moment just to be calm and stay within the moment and like, literally one of us are going to win this thing, so it's going to happen. Enjoy this whole ride and process, and just her cool, calm, you know, confident demeanor that I'm just so cool. You know. I kind of took a little bit of that away and took that into the finale there because I was just like, yeah, this is just another day. Like take this in. It's not just another day, but take it in, you know, and be calm. Don't just be so anxious and nervous that you forget the whole thing and it's a whole blur.
Speaker 1: So I think you're so placid. I loved watching you throughout the whole series because I thought, no matter what was happening or whether the driver was high or low, Mary just seems to be chilled out and taking it on board. And I could do with a lot more of that in my life. Let me tell you, what do you think made you such a good Reality TV contestant and what makes a good Reality TV contestant in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 2: That's a great that's a great question. Then that's something and I especially talks about within this game, is that, you know, we stayed cool and calm the whole way through, especially myself. I came into this experience understanding and kind of anticipating that it would be a huge mess like it was. I don't think a lot of people did, potentially a lot of younger cast members that we had, like Pricking Tilly, who would be bouncing off the walls if something didn't go the right way, or even Danny on the opposite side of the spectrum. You know, I just remained cool and calm, and I think that's what helped me get throughout this game and remain very fluid and just have short term memory in there. You know, things didn't go my way a lot of the time, but you've got to wake up the next day, forget about it, move on, see what you can do to progress. If you don't, you're going down with the ships. So I think That's a huge part and reason to why I was so successful. I think within games and shows like this, you do definitely need that in order to be successful. But I think, honestly, then, I think the biggest part, and as lame and cliche as it sounds, just be yourself man, in these things. You know what I mean, you get casted for a reason, or if you weren't being yourself in the casting audition process, be that person that your auditioned as you know what I mean the whole way through. Don't flip flop around and change around. Be you, and you'll come out of this experience and not have any regrets. And I think that's what allowed me to really be within this moment and enjoy the moment. I know for a lot of people, you come out and you don't really enjoy the moment and you're upset about your edit or this, that and the other. That never phased me because I knew whatever they showed, yes.
Speaker 1: That was me.
Speaker 2: That is me through and through, and I'm going to embrace everything they show because I was in control of what I saying.
Speaker 1: Did you feel attached to the Big Brother House itself? I mean it's almost has a personality of its own and housemates throughout the twenty years of Big Brother talk about this sense of ownership over the house. How did you feel? Did you feel quite attached? And are you missing being there or are you happy to be out?
Speaker 2: Yeah, as crazy as it sounds, you do. You do feel attacked. And I'll tell you, when I realized it wasn't a real house, was freaking afterwards. When we've obviously, you know, made it to the top three, We're done, you know, we've done our little exit interview and everything, and then I look back into the house and they're already just taking everything down. The camera is everything, and I go, oh my god, this is a set.
Speaker 3: This isn't even because meanwhile, before I leave the house for the last time i'm in there, I go and hug my bed, I run into the cave, run into the bathroom, I said goodbye to everything, and it wasn't even a real home.
Speaker 2: So they do such a good job. I don't know how they do it. It's such an interesting experiment, but they do such an amazing job of making that feel like it's your only world and like it's a real home. It's a cool experience.
Speaker 1: It's so strange. Do you know which state the new Big Brother House is going to be? And I mean, they've dismantled your house, and if I can be self reflective of myself, I remember when the house that I was in burnt down. I felt really sad and I was like, oh my god, I'll never see that house or no other new housemates will ever go back into that house. It was really sad. Do you know whether or not they're going to build the house in New South Wales or Queensland? You know where it's going to be.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure exactly where it's going to be. No, but I have heard that it looks wonderful. That's all I've heard. I didn't get a lot of information out of my source, but yeah, it is kind of weird that it's not in there again and that we're going to be watching this show again next year whenever it's aired, and see that it's not the same house that we lived in. It's almost like a totally different game and experience I think it will be for us watching back. So yeah, I'm interested to see where it's going to be. I'm not sure if it's in New South Wales or Queensland. Or where it might be. But I've heard it looks wonderful.
Speaker 1: And it's built, it's ready to go exactly.
Speaker 2: I see the built, it's in the process, and it looks amazing apparently, So we'll see. Actually it might be kind of cool and refreshing to see something different on TV.
Speaker 1: Yeah, did you have a bromance with Big Brother himself? Now? We often hear about women falling in love with him and boys wanting his approval? Can you describe maybe your relationship with him?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was special. It was special then, and I think towards the end of this game is when we became really really close. I think at the start of this game, you walk in and you think you know everything. You know what I mean, you obviously can't see everything. He sees everything. You know. He you You've got to realize and submit yourself to him and understand that he's trying to help you through this process as well. He wants to see everyone succeed. So I think towards the end game here me and him became really really close. I was able to talk to him about everything and anything, and even just sit there in the diary room and he would listen and help me and we'd sit there sometimes in silence, you know, thinking things through.
Speaker 1: That's amazing.
Speaker 2: And he was a great little yeah, a great like soundboard just to listen to me crap on or think about this strategy or this plan or this idea. And it really really helped me. I really appreciate him, and there was a special moment in that then when I got really really emotional. He said, we got to a point I think it was probably where I had no one on my side and I was thinking, you know, I'm going to be the next one off here, and he said, Maley, you need to understand that everybody that has come into this diary room has not said one bad word about you, and you've got to use that to your advantage. And I just started tearing up once he said that part, and just thought, you know, this is beautiful and we'd share really special moments like that. I'm not sure if he, you know, was meant to say that or not, but it was just such a special and real moment, you know what I mean, And it was beautiful to hear from him.
Speaker 1: Do you have his mobile number or email address? And are you going to try and hit him up for more secret chats.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I have to get onto it now, Ben.
Speaker 1: I remember being at the after party of the twenty twelve series and I met one of the voices of Big Brother who I had a really strong kinship with, and I got his email address anyway, emailed him and he never wrote back, so it was all fake.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's all fake.
Speaker 1: I'm still in There was three in my series, so yeah, I've been in contact with some of the other ones. But yeah, yeah, you know, it must be strange for them. They'll be like, I've just spent fifty six days or however long with these people, go away now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, literally dealing with that. I know. I was speaking to one backstage and he said that like he was going through such a hard time because he was dealing with usks and then going back home and dealing with all that stuff too. So he said it was tough. It was getting tough for it.
Speaker 1: Imagine going back to your normal life, you know, and you wouldn't be able to talk about it with your wife or you know, with you a husband or whoever. You know, it would be such a surreal experience.
Speaker 2: Oh man, Ben, it would be insane. I don't know how they do it. You'd have to be such a unique person. And I always thought that to be big brother or be that voice, you know what I mean, Like you have to be so quick, smart, witty, you have to almost be like a psychologist, like special special talent to do that role.
Speaker 1: Unbelievable. You know, what were your reactions to watching the show as it aired? I mean, I can't actually imagine the process of processing it as the public processes. Was that a hard thing to do?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Did you look forward to watching each episode or were you nervous watching it or scared?
Speaker 2: For the most part, I want to say probably ninety percent of it, I was very excited to watch it. There was a couple moments there. Obviously, there were certain things that happened in the game. It didn't really go my way, and I was wondering how this would be perceived by the public or portrayed, and how they kind of edit it up. You'd kind of get a little glimpse of how they were going to lead into the episode though through the previews that they'd show. Yeah, but I'd go, oh, I think it's going to go this way, and that would kind of ease my nerves. But there were a couple moments within that game where I was like, oh, I hope this doesn't hinder my spot, you know, towards the back end. But it all turned out amazingly, so I think for the most part, I really really enjoyed it. Ben. I was really excited, and I kind of got used to watching myself on TV, which.
Speaker 1: Was weird, like, I'm watching you, so I'm really you know, that's such a surreal thing for you to say, because I think there's a lot of people in Australia right now that is missing some Maali on their TV screen.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Right, And that's beautiful, man. I just and that was my goal going in, Ben, I wanted to. And I remember talking and sitting with our wellness manager before the show and she said, well, what's your goal going in? And I said, honestly, I just want to inspire and change somebody's life within that moment in a positive way, just one person. If I've done that, I've done my job, you know. And she goes, well, you'd want to you know, probably inspire a lot more than that, wouldn't you, Marley, And I go, Na, Honestly, it's just one person. I've done my job and I've the thousands of overwhelmingly beautiful messages I've received throughout the show, and then afterwards I won before I eaten one, so it's amazing.
Speaker 1: I'm just remember having so many conversations about you throughout the series. People were talking about your smile. They were like, you know, I couldn't think of debriefing the final episode, someone said to me, I couldn't think of anyone that's ever won this show who's just smiled their way through the whole thing.
Speaker 2: That's beautiful, Ben, Yeah, it is. And that's what is cool is you know you know who you are, right, We all know who we are. Yeah, and our family and closest ones always tell us who we are. But you kind of think in the back of your head. Yeah, I mean, but you're just saying that because you have to, because you love me, right. But to then have people that don't even need to like me or see these things in me are saying these types of things, that's just I just can't even believe it, Like that is just amazing for them to notice my smile, like the biggest part about me and my personality and be affected by that. I'm just looked, how have I I don't even know how I've done this. Like, I'm so fulfilled, you know what I mean, I'm so fulfilled. This is amazing. Yeah, I'm speechless about it all.
Speaker 1: The question I have for you is Ari seem to make a few comments in the media leading up to the finale, and he made a claim that you may not be who you really say you are. What did he mean by that? And do you think that Ari was still playing the game once the game had finished?
Speaker 2: Absolutely?
Speaker 1: Yeah, But what does he mean by that? It seems like such an outrageous thing, as we lived with you for so long and we saw no cracks in it whatsoever. So you know, it's just interesting to hear that he came out and said that. Why do you think I mean.
Speaker 2: Let's go back to even what I said before about big Brother, you know, and what he told me in the diary, right, you know, saying that not one person has ever said anything like that. So I think now, and I remember clicking on that article and I read through a little bit and just got bored and kind of just put my phone down because it's Ari. Ari. Look, look who's saying these things? You know what I mean? I think Ari was still look, he was still playing the game a little bit, and fair play to him. I think he was obviously hurt that he didn't make it into the top three there, and that hurt me killed me taking him away from that position. So potentially he's still trying to take a couple of shots at me. But at the end of the day, yeah, it's Ari saying these things. We understood and saw the way he played this game, so I'm not surprised at all that he's still trying to you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Have you patched things up with him at least what happened at the at the finale? Did you have a conversation about this article? Did you bring it up instead of go hey.
Speaker 2: I should have. I should have brought it up, actually, because I love you. When you do confront Ari about things like this, he goes, oh no, no, no, no, no, you know, and gets really defensive.
Speaker 1: You're like, no, no, no, I've got the receipts, mate.
Speaker 2: I have no bad blood between me and Ari. He might have felt a little uncomfortable and awkward, I think, and I think he did with a lot of people, and I think that's why he didn't really get in contact and in touch with a lot of people after the show because obviously nobody knew what he said in the diary room about us all. So, you know what, I have love for Ari. He's a good kid, such a smart kid. Played an awesome and out there game and I completely respect that. Completely different game than me, but dude, we need different games, you know what I mean. It made it so entertaining. He's so good for TV. So now I've got all love for Ari. Even if he still wants to try it, we'll smile it off. Aban.
Speaker 1: I think it's the best way. I think that the best policy don't ever take anyone up. This is what I've learned, and it happened this week, is don't ever take anyone up over something they've said about you on the Daily Mail.
Speaker 2: I'm going to take that on board moving forward. I like that a lot.
Speaker 1: There's been a lot of comments that have been made about SJ being saved by Big Brother. I think it was three times by the time, well twice I think by the time the show was over. Do you think that maybe being saved affects the game in the long run. Do you think that you know Big Brother saves you? Yes, you get to be there maybe in the finale, but it might hinder the way in which Australia views you. And is that something that maybe next year Big Brother shouldn't do.
Speaker 2: I unfortunately, I would have to I would have to say yes, I believe it does affect your chances towards the back end of this game. And it such because it's not even in their control, you know what I mean. It's not in Sj's control that you got saved. It wasn't in Christina's control that she you know, got a victored and put into that little halfway house. It wasn't in their control, you know. But that's kind of what we sign up for. As good as that might seem at the time. Unfortunately, if you make it to the back end. And I say this because I know that the real Big Brother fans out there, they look for these things. They want to have a dig at people that get these things and these advantages and and things like that. So I think in that perspective it can unfortunately affect maybe how things look on the back end. But again, I truly I don't see it. As you know, people try to say, oh, the game's rigged this that, and the other, but this is what we signed up for. And merely I told us this walking in was that if you guys sign up for this, I want you to be prepared for twist turns, this, that and the other. And we also said yes and sign that contract and walked into the house to say that it's rigged and all that. I don't look into all that and believe any of that crap, but I definitely feel like, you know, luck might have been on Sj's side. She got saved a couple of times, which was awesome for her, but unfortunate, you know, on the back end. Then the Australia has to vote on that. Yeah, I think maybe, I don't know. It's tough. It's tough, Ben. I think potentially could be taken out, but then again, you do kind of want to leave things up to crazy chants as well. It creates kind of interestant gameplay because you target someone and take them out and then to have them come back into the house again and rile things up. I think it's kind of interesting too. So it's a tough one. It's a tough one for me. I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's really tough as a viewer as well, because I really liked s J and I really liked Christina, Like, I thought they were both fantastic housemates, and we're really excited that they were saved. But then I still voted for Mali in the end, and I think that that did come down to I'm not allowed to really say that, but you know, but did come down to you played a great game and you didn't need to be saved, you know. Like I think that that played into the zegeist of how people voted for you, you know, and I think that can be a little bit disappointing. But hey, I think you've answered that question quite well. And it is a difficult question to answer because we all have to be so thankful of being picked on those sorts of shows and the experience that we got to have, So we don't really want to pull that apart in a negative way. We have to sort of understand it in a broader stroke. You know, how's the group chat going? By the way, are you surviving? Are you on the group chat with all the twenty six housemates had a mine film? Is that?
Speaker 2: How bad has it been? Especially when you're going through and watching this whole thing. There was times there where I had to mute it because it was just like you know what I said.
Speaker 1: Well, you see people differently as well, like you come out of the house and then you see people differently because of what they're writing afterwards, and you can it's also a text, so you know, when you're reading people's text, you can misinterpret things, which can be really difficult as well. But I must admit, you know, coming out of the Big Brother experience, I noticed some people were really different outside of the house compared to being inside the house. Did you notice any significant changes in personalities?
Speaker 2: I don't know, Honestly, I really don't think I did notice anything. No, I think everyone, and especially this year, you know, now I actually look back at this because I haven't thought about it. I think for the most part, everyone was exactly who they showed they were in that game and kind of portrayed as within that game, and kind of when we came out of the house, it was that same person. You know, some people you didn't like that other person. I didn't speak to that other person. I thought this way about someone, and and you know, had their same personality, and I think for them, I actually I'm pretty proud of that. I think this whole car is for the most part, has been themselves within that game and still carried that outside the game. So no, there wasn't anything that I noticed that I was like, oh, wow, that's that's totally different. Like I expected Ari to probably not talk to a lot of people after this, you know what I.
Speaker 1: Mean, how could he knowing what he knew?
Speaker 2: So yeah, no, there was nothing that really jumped out at me. Actually, to be honest, which cool.
Speaker 1: Did you see any similarities between last year's win A Chat and yourself? And is that a strategy now for you know, people coming into the new season. I mean they're going to We're going to see a VIP series and a civilian series. Do you think that that sort of likable, honest and quiet achiever that gets along with everyone, do you think that that now makes the formula to win Big Brother.
Speaker 2: That's a great that's a great question. And I'll tell you what. I'll be honest with you. When I came out of obviously this experience, like I knew going in going to be me and I knew I did have similar characteristics to Chad in regards to wanting to play an integral game and making a conscious effort of playing an integral game. But that's just me. So that was easy. But I did feel like on the back end when I did make it to the top three, obviously I couldn't say anything. I thought to myself, ooh, they're not going to have two Chads win in a row, you know what I mean. They're not going to have two people that played that same game win in a row. And I was like, I was kind of bummed because I was like, man, I played such an amazing game, and I feel like, you know, I played very similar to Chad, but I felt like I was even a level above in regard to being so so honest and transparent with people. I think I was that honest with people Ben, especially when people would try and pitch to me and I'd tell them who I'm going to vote for. I would kind of say it to their face. So they never showed any of that in the pitching process with me, because I would kind of just tell them, you know.
Speaker 1: You'd be upfront and honest about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was really nervous coming up to that, thinking, oh, I don't know if they're going to kind of want two people like that to win, but you know, I think what shine through is just people relating to me on a genuine level and authentic level, and they realized that, you know, that was me and I connected with people that way. But I think, honestly, I think it's a great formula for life. And that's what I wanted to kind of show and prove is that you can be successful being this way in life. You don't just have to be corrupt and live, cheat and stilled and make your way up there. But I think I think it would be interesting to see a person have some gameplay like a Danny or an Ari and win this whole thing out. So I don't think you necessarily have to be the way I was to be able to take games like this out. I think you just have to be yourself and embrace who you are. Don't go into the game and play a certain way and then come out and try and act like you were representing this and doing this and doing that. Embrace the game that you played, whatever that might be. And that's what I did because that was me, and I think that's what helped me win a couple of those votes over in the public eye.
Speaker 1: Do you think that there should be some more mind challenges and maybe less physical challenges next year. I mean, there was some contestants in there. I'm not going to single amount Charlotte, but you know, there was sometimes that you felt like she was probably a better mental strategist over a physical strategist. And do you think they need to balance that kind of thing moving forward?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I do. I do. I absolutely think they should balance it out. I thought it was going to work in my favor. I was bloody shit house at most of the challenges, especially to begin with Ben, so you know what I mean. So maybe I would have actually liked a couple more mental challenges myself, but I definitely was surprised when coming in, and especially at the start, they were all physical. I think for the first I reckon the first the first third was all physical and then it kind of went into a little bit of like mental slash skill and then it kind of carried on to yeah, more skill type, right. But I think it should have been balanced a little more for every type of person because we had so many different kind of physical characters within that game, and I think it would just make it more interesting to yeah, change it up and have a little more you know, more mind kind of blowing.
Speaker 1: Kind of challenge. I think my favorite challenge for the whole series was when you had the jigsaw puzzle with the arrows. Felt like that challenge had three things in there that could suit different people. Ari took to that jigsaw puzzle so fast, and we sort of expect that of him because of his playing of chess. That was my favorite, and I feel like that's the sort of challenges we need to see more of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, couldn't agree more, Ben, and I think what they were trying to do when that last challenge was combine every single challenge that we've done previously up until this point and put it into one. But eventually if they did things like that in each challenge or threw a couple of them, you know, we do so many challenges, throw a couple in there that had these three elements, because there's always that equalizer fact at the end, you know, in the skill you what I mean by that point, By that point, Ari was well ahead, right, He killed it, killed the puzzle, got under that sand as quick as anything and got to the end, and it was kind of equalized because us, all of us then ended up at that part, right, and that skill gap is really hard. So that was probably my favorite challenge too, not just because I won and cemented my spot in the end, but because there was different comments there. You know, you had the physical part at the start where people could be advantageous in that regard, then you could you know, maybe lose out on the puzzle part, and then you know, it was very, very interesting. But I think they kind of through the whole game that we've played so far into one challenge, and I think that was a pretty cool pull moment for us to be a part of. I wish that the other housemates could have had a challenge like that yet, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. Now with Daniel, he was probably one of the most memorable housemates in Big Brother history, and we got to see him throughout his highs and lows, and man that that guy lives his emotions. He lives his emotions. You know, must have been strange to sort of even live with this man. Mind you, I absolutely loved him. I thought he was fantastic as from a viewer's perspective. But what do you think is going to happen with Daniel next? I mean, I remember having a conversation with him a while ago and he was like I'm not interested in television or anything. He just like he wanted to do that to prove something to himself. But do you think we've seen the end of Daniel.
Speaker 2: I don't. Okay, that's interesting you say that. I reckon he talks a lot of looks, a lot of nonsense. Let's say that. Man, he talks a lot about it. I feel like, look at him, man, he loved it. He loved the airtime, he loved being theatrical and dramatic, and he lived for it. Then, so I nah, bullcrap. I think he's trying to keep things under wraps so he can walk into the next crazy reality TV show or whatever it might be and try and take ownership of that as well. I truly I think he's great for TV. I think he was one of the most entertaining players in there, and he would I think he'd be silly not to. I mean, if he truly doesn't like it, that's fair enough. But I think he should run with it because he's great for TV. He's hilarious, people love him.
Speaker 1: He's honestly, he's real. I think he's he's a modern day television star in lots of ways. I think that's what people have wanted. People are gravitating towards more of that. I mean, I guess if they were to do VIP or they're doing VIP, and if they did in All Stars, he's the sort of person that might get brought back. He would say yes, they send the email and he would be on a plane or on his motorcycle and he'd be the first. Yeah, would you go back and do it again? Like, you know, if they did bring you back and asked you to redo the series again? You think, you know, you can put your whites in the laundry, but they're not always going to come out. What you know? Now that you're a winner of Big Brother, would you want to go back and try and do that challenge all over again?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I would. I'd do it. I have no regrets with going into that game. I reckon I'd do it now, I'd do it. I would, I would. I don't know if they would ever want, you know, a winner of Big Brother to go and do something like that again. Maybe they should do it. We should start our own thing. Then all the winners can come into a crazy House.
Speaker 1: I would love to do it, but you know, we would have to go into the house with Tim Dormer, and you know, I'm terrified of him actually, as like I was in Sydney recently and I saw him walking down the road and I actually switch to the other side of the road. And he's a lovely person. Like I have had some good times with him, but the idea of being in a Big Brother house with him actually makes me want to book therapy in advance.
Speaker 2: I have a therapist on stand by the whole through. Maybe we'll do it if that's if that's the case, and he'd win.
Speaker 1: You know, he's a mind manipulating genius, So I just I don't know. Maybe we'd maybe we'd ruin him in the challenges. We could blindside him.
Speaker 2: Mali, you and me, we'd work together. Well then I'm just.
Speaker 1: Just smile the whole way through it, and I'm taking your I'm taking it as a thing in my real life. I'm taking just smile through life and things will work out. One of the things. You know, I feel like I'm taking away from this right now because you probably could be on a zoom chat with your partner, But how has that been. Both of you are athletes, and obviously that involves being in different countries in different places a lot, and here we are at a pinnacle point of your life, winning big brother, and she's not here to celebrate that with you. Is that Has that been really hard?
Speaker 2: It's been ship.
Speaker 1: Yeah, There no other way to say it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, there's no beating around the bush with that.
Speaker 1: Ben.
Speaker 2: It's it has been hard. This has been, yeah, the biggest moment in my life. And to not have the woman that I love to bits, you know, and my best friend be right here beside me has been tough, not only for me, but really for her. She really wants to be here for me, and it's just hard. It's so hard to not have her here. But you know, thank God for technology and everything. Ben, Like right after the finale, like when I walked as soon as I walked out backstage, I facetimed her and we just had an amazing chat. But it's been tough not only not to have her here, but for the last fifteen months been because of this whole virus and everything going on in the world. You know, we haven't been able to see each other. And that's the longest we could ever imagine not seeing each other for so it's been really, really tough. What has been good though, because I have been very busy with all this dealing with this crap and this nonsense, right, and she's been dealing with her soccer stuff over there in her career and doing amazing, amazing things. So thank God that we're busy and we're not just sitting around, you know, twiddling our thumbs. But yeah, you know, it's been really really hard for her and I, especially in this moment now, to not be together. It sucks.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it must be really hard. And then there's this is this question that's going to plague you for the rest of your life. Just heads up, and that is what will you do with the money? What have you done with the money? We've had a lot of conversations, Sonya, had conversations with you about it, and I think you spoke about it a lot leading up until the finale, is saying that you want to do something to support your father, and I even heard you on the radio saying that you know, whatever he needs, you know, you're going to help him out with. And I think that that's really beautiful and very noble. But what about something for yourself? Like can we talk about this now? What can we go out and get for you. I'm not coming with you, by the way, even though it sounds like I'm inviting myself.
Speaker 2: I know, what are we going to go out?
Speaker 1: Let's chatty. We'll had done to chads him. Now what are you going to do? You're going to buy something to sort of staple this and say, wow, I've done I've done an amazing job.
Speaker 2: I think I have to, Ben, I think I have to. I would love to. I know one of my goals and before even big brother, by the end of the year, I would love to get a new car. I would love that nothing more. So potentially that might be something that I'll get towards the end of the year. I'm not sure if it'll be to do with this money, depending on what we need to do with Dad first, but it might be, you know, due to what has happened the other successes that come up along the way until that point. Potentially I might be able to build enough revenue to buy that for myself at some point. But there might be something little that I can I can think about in the meantime that there's something that I would like to get just to celebrate this moment for myself as well.
Speaker 1: My only advice to here is get something that won't dissipate. You know, it's not going to lose its value over time. You can't see this, but just behind there is a movie Projectice, and that's the thing that it was the first thing that I bought with the money and I've still got it and that's still I love movies. So yeah, I think it was I think it was worth six thousand dollars and I just was like, you know, I need to get something anyway that Actually, you know what, I've just told you a whole load of shit, really, because that probably is going to break one day.
Speaker 2: And then I'll have nothing break tomorrow.
Speaker 1: My friends will tell you I've used it a lot to watch the finale of Big Brother Back a thousand times on my big screen at home, because that's the narcissist in me. Stop watching that finale.
Speaker 2: I probably will to understand. Maybe I will get it. Maybe I can get a really cool TV or something. I know my brother always has the most expensive gadget, so maybe I'll do the same and just have the finale running on repeat.
Speaker 1: Do it? I support it? Can we talk about the three lifelong friends? I mean, I know that I know you well enough to know from everything I've heard inside the camp, and that is that everyone wants to be Marley's friend. But can we simplify it instead of having this you know, going for too long and ask you, you know, if there three people that have seemed to have signified themselves as lifelong friends.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's great. There definitely would be, maybe just a little more than three. But my first obviously has to be Tilly. Absolutely loved that girl, one of my best friends. Now she was throughout that show. Now coming out of the house would become even closer, like she's is amazing that girl. So definitely Tilly. My man Chris one hundred percent is definitely a lifelong friend of mine.
Speaker 1: I've known Christopher Wayne for a very long time. He is the ultimate Big Brother superfan. I think he has the mobile number of every housemate that's ever existed. And the weird thing was that as other seasons happened after mine, he would keep turning up on my Facebook with photos with new housemates. I was like, okay, and he swears to me that it was always by you know, luck, chance and circumstance that he would come across these housemates and conjure these amazing friendships with them. Anyway, number three you got the number three three wishes Jeannie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like this. I like this. I Reckon and Jesse my girl, Jesse, definitely love her. I love that girl. Do you anoint the shit out of me in that bloody house? And I tell you that you wearing all of my clothes and getting it so dirty and you look about you. But I generally don't like people wearing my things, or sharing my stuff, or even laying all over my bed. Do you know what I mean? But you have to kind of throw that all out there at the door.
Speaker 1: Lise, she didn't wear your underpants, I'll tell you this much. And that was I would sit in the backyard of the Big Brother House and I'd see Michael and Josh, who were two housemates in twenty twelve, and they would be wearing my clean underpants, like I would be othered to do my washing so my underpants would be clean. And I remember one day saying, boys, are you both wearing my underpants? And they were like, yeah, we didn't have any clean ones. And I was like, this is disgusting, Like take my underpan and they were briefs as well. They were like and these and I was just like, for the sake of Australia as well, especially you, Michaels, take them off.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Literally, that's what we signed up for. I guess, hey, oh my god, amazing.
Speaker 1: And I guess we also have to ask about the audition process. Was the audition process hard for you? And you know, was it stressful going through that? And I guess we should ask, you know, what sort of advice do you have to other people? That box is easily ticked though, And I think you've talked about that a lot in other interviews, so maybe talk about was it a hard process going through the audition?
Speaker 2: Honestly, I think it might have been an easier process for me. And I'll tell you why. I didn't have to.
Speaker 4: Go through the traditional audition process, which I would feel would be haunting in you know, you meet together and congregate with a group, right, and then you have to do this, that and the other to kind of stand out and kind of progress to the next stage.
Speaker 2: I didn't have to do that. All I had to do was send in my application. Due to the times that we're in, because we're in you know, there's plenty, lockdown environ everything. I just had to send my application in. I had a call the next day, and then had a skype call with Amelia following not so long afterwards, and then just had to go through it that way and send through video footage, which is easy. You can be yourself when it's just you and the camera, what I mean, So you're not too nervous and anxious and embarrassed to do crazy stuff. So I think it was in my advantage that we're in lockdown at this time. And this is why I say everything happens for a reason. I truly think that because of that is the reason that I got into this show and now I've won. So I think it was quite easy for me. But I feel like always.
Speaker 1: Better to have them genuinely want you to be there on these shows. I think. I think there's nothing better. My dad used to always say to me, never never work for someone who doesn't believe that you should do the job, because you'll always be trying to convince them that you're the right person for it instead of just doing the work. And I think it's really good that you're able to have that support from Amelia to get onto the show and then talking about I mean, should probably ask you to send some footage through of you playing basketball. You know what's next for you?
Speaker 3: Maally?
Speaker 1: Are you going to continue with your sport or can you say something else? I mean, this is probably a really good chance to pivot. Have you thought about, you know, what do you want to do? What do you want to do with your life? Now?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I have been and I think I think you're absolutely right. You know, I've played basketball for more than fifteen years of my life and it's taken me all over the world and done making things for me. And I think there's you know, it's a very time slash age sensitive sport where you know, I'm twenty six now. You know you can't play this game forever, right, I'm getting to the back end now of my age within this sport. You've got young kids at eighteen nineteen going to the NBA, you know what I mean. So I think this is a great moment. I've done everything that I've wanted to achieve with basketball, and I think this is a great moment for me mentally to kind of pivot and tap into some other things that I've wanted to tap into within life. You know, I'm so passionate within the disability industry and I love working with these kids that I work with. Than potentially starting my own business within disability, it would be something I strive for in the future. I love talking, as you can see, I loved talking. Maybe you know something to do with with this. Maybe I could start my own podcast something like that one day, or Bloody Elle. You might see me on TV with Danny a is doing something crazy too. But I definitely just want to tap into every little thing in life that I can and that I have the potential of succeeding in, because why not. Life's too short. So I definitely do feel like this is a pivotal moment and a very good moment to pivot in career choices and parts for me. So I'm really I'm just so excited. I'm so excited for what's to come. If anything does, maybe this is it and I just sit here and you and I chat every day.
Speaker 1: But well, I went to bed last night thinking about this interview, you know, like, you know, what questions am I going to ask? How do I make this fun for you? You know, what do people want to know? And I went to bed thinking about you as Australia does pretty much every day now. And I dreamt that you were in Sas with Danny and and it was weird because you know, sometimes dreams have real detail to them, you know, like you'll be like and anyway. So in this dream, the two of you were trying to negotiate that show like Big Brother, and you were struggling to realize that essays you know, is different in lots of other ways. So I don't know, maybe it's a prophecy, Maybe I'm foreseeing something. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like that that would be something I would I would be absolutely terrified to go on, but would love.
Speaker 1: I think you would be so good on that show, I think.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, I think mentally with the crap that I've been through, and I swear one of the colleges that I went to Ben was bloody like Sas. This coach that we had that was an absolute just nuts right, So I think I'd be all right at it.
Speaker 1: Things happened for a reason. You had that horrible coach, you know, to train you for what was to come in your in your life. In now what we're talking about your next job, which is Sasy it's happening. It's happening now. My last question that I always ask all my guests before they go, and that is, you know, what is an amazing story from behind the scenes that were as an audience would appreciate that we might not have seen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good question, I think. Ah, there was one thing that does come to mind, and I remember there was one night we're all laying We're all laying in bed about to go to sleep, and we loved listening to Ari before we go to bed because he's so entertaining and interesting to listen to, right, And he did tell us a story. I'm not sure if it was true, and I'm not sure if it had any effect and advantage for him going into this game this year, but he did speak about how at one point in his life and he told us all these types of crazy stories and I don't know what's the truth and what isn't, but he told us about, you know, the fact that before coming into this and I'm not sure if it was last year or the year before, but he did actually intern for Channel seven at some point. I'm not sure how long he did it for, but he said that he did intern with Channel seven to do with something and I'm not sure for how long, but I think that's kind of interesting. That obviously didn't go to air was the fact that Ari potentially, did you know, internal work with Channel seven at some point in his life.
Speaker 1: I don't want that on the show. That's nepotism or whatever that word is, Like, we can't do you want to hear. My funniest story that I ever heard about Ari, because as I shared with you before the podcast started, I heard a lot about all of you guys before you were all seen on television, was that I originally came across Ari because he was managing Angela Clancy, who was their housemate from the year before, and so he was a manager for Talent And I was like what. It just blew my mind because I'd already heard that Angela was being managed by this guy Ari, and then when I heard that he was on the show, I was like, what had you heard that?
Speaker 3: One?
Speaker 2: I did? I did hear that? I did hear that? So is it is it true that he was actually managing Angela?
Speaker 1: What's the I think she thought he was. I don't know whether, I mean, I can't this is not this is naughty to go into it. I mean, we don't know all the facts ourselves, but just the many stories of Ari, you know.
Speaker 2: Are they'ny Ari? Ari's hilarious. He's done. I don't know, maybe he's done so much and he told us so much. And how old is he? Like twenty two? I don't know how this kid has experienced this many things in life, but he told us so many crazy, funny stories. And I'm not sure what is true and what isn't now after watching what came to air and how much he did have to lie about things like he would lie to sit about the fact that his grandfather was from Nigeria or something just to get closer to s oh, ken Yall, sorry, ken Yall, just to get closer to So I don't know what's the truth of what is it?
Speaker 1: But yeah, that is amazing. It is so funny. Well, I would say, without a doubt, the series was so well cast and we've got such a fantastic result of seeing you win at the end. I can't wait to follow more of his story. Make I think that there's plenty of big things out there for you, and I appreciate your time on Tavrilo today.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you. Then, honestly, thank you. That was the most fun I've had in an interview, back back to back to back the same stuff, you know what I mean. And I've run up two hours sleep. But today, after being able to leap to sit down and talk to you, I've really been able to, you know, reflect on everything that I've been through, that you've been through, and it's just been a very pleasant and amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's been a cathartic thing.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much. Talk to you soon and enjoy watching the movies on that projecting, mate, But see you mate. Thank you so much.