Speaker 1: It's in the news today, but it was actually on TV Reload the podcast last week. Don't welcome back guys to TV Reload. My name's Benjamin Norris and on this podcast I go behind the scenes with the biggest players in television.
Speaker 2: Yeah, great questions.
Speaker 3: The show's about the game. There's a lot of great television out there in Australia.
Speaker 1: But I've also got to go behind the scenes with writers. The truth is, when I started writing it, it wasn't had nothing to do with the news and casting agents.
Speaker 3: They know from a casting point of view what they need.
Speaker 1: And editors because that's what we do as editors where storytellers. Not to forget some incredible executive producers who are making some of the best TV in Australia.
Speaker 2: I have been on the program since the beginning and it's kind of in my DNA.
Speaker 1: So thanks for joining me each week and I hope the podcast continues to give you real insight into the magic of television today. On the podcast, I have Amy On from Australian survivor, who is the eighth person to be eliminated from the Channel ten series this year, The Global Phenomenon, produced by Andimol Shine follows the Blood Versus Water, which sees competitors playing alongside their loved ones. Amy joined the twenty twenty two Castaways with her brother Khan, and while we never got to see them both reunite, it was clear to audiences that they have an unshakable bond with plenty of wheeling and dealing. I actually really enjoyed Amy's time on the current series, and today we'll ask her about why she joined her brother on the show, her thoughts on what could have been, and who she thinks will win. There's plenty more coming up in the chat, and without further ado, let's welcome the gorgeous Melburnie and Amy on to TV Reload.
Speaker 2: He knew that when he asked me that it was going to be quite hard to convince me.
Speaker 1: Can't on and his sister Amy are team and ought to take on the ultimate game of Survivor.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh my god, what am I getting myself into.
Speaker 1: Well, blood proved to be thicker than water.
Speaker 3: Now when I watch it on TV, I'm like, well, nothing.
Speaker 2: Is ever simple when it comes to survive by it was so hot you're just constantly sweating all the time.
Speaker 1: Eight person voted out of blood versus water.
Speaker 2: Amy, I'm kind of surprised that we didn't get her out on the first tribal Council.
Speaker 1: Hi, Amy, how are you?
Speaker 3: I'm good, Thank you? How are you?
Speaker 1: I'm great? So congratulations on your time an Australian Survivor. How did it feel watching it back last night?
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, so obviously last night I got blindsided.
Speaker 2: Watching it back was honestly great for me and eye opening because I got to see, you know, who betrayed me, who went.
Speaker 3: And told on me. So that was nice to see and it was really good to see.
Speaker 2: That they weren't voting me out on anything other than the fact that I was coming for them.
Speaker 1: Well, I really was enjoying you on the show, and I know Cahn. So when there was that comment that you cooked yourself, I took it personally.
Speaker 2: I was like, I wonder how long that took for you to come up with, Josh.
Speaker 1: Maybe you should get some cooking lessons from your brother.
Speaker 3: He burnt yourself hard.
Speaker 1: How did Australian Survivor come up for you?
Speaker 2: So basically how Survivor came up for me was that Khan is a huge fan of the show.
Speaker 3: It's always been his dream to go on, I think.
Speaker 2: And one day I just got a call from Khan being like, Hey, can you do me a favor please?
Speaker 3: And I was like a favor? What is this favor?
Speaker 2: And he was like, I have a interview for Survivor, but it's a theme where you have to bring on your loved one.
Speaker 3: Can you come with me please? I was like, Oh my god, what am I getting myself into.
Speaker 2: I think I took like an hour to kind of think about it, but then I was like, this is his dream. He can't go on without me because we've got no other family members really, so I just have to suck it up and go. Having my younger sister Amy in the game will be really beneficial because I think my tribemates will see a softer side.
Speaker 1: Met Well, was there any our the option for Khan? I mean, did he have a backup plan or was it just you?
Speaker 3: There was definitely no other backup plan. There's only me.
Speaker 2: Well, there's my mom, but she's never she would never do that. She's got her own things to deal with. So it was just me at the end of the day. And I didn't want to be the person that stopped him from fulfilling his dream.
Speaker 3: So I just suck it up and go.
Speaker 1: It was reality television, something that you ever thought that you would do, or you'd ever aspired to.
Speaker 2: I think after Kahan has been on Master Chef and he had you know, he'd asked me before, would you do something like that? And I told him very clearly, I never want to do anything like that. I'm not the person that likes to put myself out there and my life out there. You know, I'm comfortable with everything that I've got, all my friends, that I've got, my close circle, and that's it.
Speaker 3: And I think he knew and he knew.
Speaker 2: That when he asked me that it was going to be quite hard to convince me.
Speaker 1: Well, he's very very good at being able to convince people to do things. I've known him for a really long time and I've witnessed him convincing people to do things they didn't want to do before. So I've got to ask what were the conditions of the camp, like, you know, were they better or worse than you expected? And was there ever a time where you thought, what has my brother got me into?
Speaker 2: So the conditions at camp were, well, the conditions in you know, in Charter's towers were just brutal. It was so hot. You're just constantly sweating all the time. You're just wet all the time. And then there's the no food.
Speaker 3: You've got minimal food, and you know, I want to go home.
Speaker 1: I'd hoped that, you know, at some point that you and Khan would have had the opportunity to play together. What did you think that would have looked like had the teams emerged and you had that opportunity.
Speaker 2: If Kan and I had the chance to play together, I think that would have been a lot of trouble.
Speaker 3: I feel like we we would be really strong together.
Speaker 2: By saying that as well, I feel like people know that we would be strong, So I don't think we would last very long together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, would definitely put a target on your back because it was interesting with the promos, like towards the start, some of the packages that we saw, you know, can't look like he might have been going to be a bit harsh with you, And then we never really got to see the two of you play together. Were you stressed and him being sort of your big brother, it would have been hard to play with him.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, No, I wasn't stressed that you know, he's my big brother and we will play together.
Speaker 3: All because I know how he is.
Speaker 2: Like literally every single day that we saw each other, we would both be like crying.
Speaker 3: Like the amount of times that we cried when we saw each other was crazy.
Speaker 1: And the blood versus water theme is quite interesting as we you know, we've seen with two or three of the most brutal moments where you know, people have turned on each other, like kayj and Sophie and Sandra and Nina. Has that been surprising to you to watch other teammates sort of turn on their loved one.
Speaker 2: Every time I saw that the family members turn on each other, I was honestly so shocked because I don't think I could ever do that. I would rather sacrifice myself and let can't play the game than to sit there and write down his name.
Speaker 3: That's just not me at all.
Speaker 1: Well, I want to know is do you think it's going to be a good strategy long term to throw your family member under the bus Because I don't necessarily think that makes you look like a good teammate. But maybe I'm not survivor ready.
Speaker 2: Well that's what I think as well, because I'm like from a player perspective. If you're willing to cut your family member just like that, what do I mean to you then as your friend, as your ally?
Speaker 1: One hundred percent. I just don't think it looks for like a long term game plan. And I also thought it was really interesting to see Sandra go. You know, with Sandra being such a big international player, you know you've got to be having your ducks in a line to be chopping off your mum out of the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it was so shocking for me to see her go as well, and to see someone of that caliber come in, it's really threatening. She's played six times, she's won twice. I'm kind of surprised that we didn't get her out on the first tribal council. You know, like she lasted quite a long time and people started to see.
Speaker 3: Her threat level.
Speaker 2: She's so smart, she's so strategic, but it doesn't come off very intense, so you don't really see it as a threat. But she's always there, she's always listening. Well, my daughter did tell me when everyone left, she said, Mom, I can't continue to save you.
Speaker 3: You know, you got to step it up.
Speaker 1: Who do you think has been the most surprising to watch in comparison to how you felt the game plan happened during filming.
Speaker 2: I think I honestly would say cahn't because every time I saw him on the game in Survivor, he was like, everything's all good. He was very low key. He would not give me any information. It would not tell me who he was working with. And then now when I watch it on TV, I'm.
Speaker 3: Like, whoa, this is why you were threat because you're.
Speaker 1: Like this, Well, he'd been watching Survivor for years and taking down all these notes, so you know, it shouldn't be too surprising to see that. You know, he was well and truly playing the game. The thing that really surprised me with him was his dedication to his fitness, you know, and his training before going into the show. What sort of training did you do to compare? Did you take part in what he was doing?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so, Kna and I tried to do a lot of the same kind of training. We went rock climbing together, we would go swimming.
Speaker 3: I would be going to forty five.
Speaker 2: And also this was a really difficult time in Melbourne when we had the lockdown, so everything was closed, so like going to the gym was not possible, and so you had to just find ways to work that at home.
Speaker 3: And yeah, a lot of puzzles on the phone.
Speaker 1: When you were eliminated. Did you fly home the next day? Like is it strange to then leave khn behind and fly back to Melbourne without him?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so when you get eliminated, you basically leave straight away. And yeah, it was honestly hard because I'm like, I woke up the next day and I was like, can't still here. I know he's in this area, but I can't even say goodbye to him. Like that's the sad part. And I'm like, I wonder what he's feeling and how he would be reacting to, you know, walking onto the mat and seeing that I'm not there anymore.
Speaker 1: I'm actually stressed about watching Sunday nights episode because I don't want to see his face.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 2: I'm like when I turned around to the tribe and I was like, tell him I love him, they were like, oh my god, now we.
Speaker 1: Have to deal with Khan and He's literally going to come for every single one of them. Yeah. Watching last night's episode as well, I thought was really interesting with Jonathan Lapalia, but you know, being the host and embracing the double entundra. Another big tug on his pole from Ben curiously tugging.
Speaker 2: On his.
Speaker 1: What did you think about some of the ways in which he was talking about the poll in the challenge last night? Did you pick up on that?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, Oh my god.
Speaker 2: I think I was like refreshing Twitter and people were like, not Ben dugging on his pole, and I was like, oh my god, they're definitely doing this on purpose, like Jonathan is doing this on purpose.
Speaker 1: I think each season it's just gotten a little bit more because it used to be like a couple of seasons back, was that a double entendre? I don't know, like, you know, surely as a host you can't say these sorts of things. But then last night it was like full force, and I think that, you know, he's definitely embracing it. Now. What's the social media been like for you during the season, Like, you know, what's the strangest thing that you've read online that You've gone, Oh, that's so weird.
Speaker 3: So the social media for me has been really great.
Speaker 2: I'm quite surprised a lot of I've got quite a I've been getting a lot of love from people.
Speaker 3: There's like one or two comments where they're like.
Speaker 2: Bye bye Felicia and I'm like bye boo.
Speaker 3: But other than that, everyone's been really good.
Speaker 2: They've been Everyone's been so supportive and I'm extremely lucky.
Speaker 1: I'd say, are you allowed to guess at this stage? I mean, because you you know, I guess. I don't know how much you know? Who do you think is going to win? Do you have someone that you think is going to take out the competition?
Speaker 3: I honestly don't know.
Speaker 2: Obviously, I want Khan to win, but he hasn't told me anything, you know, like he I do. I did want that kind of element of surprise, so I was like, don't you know, don't ruin it for me, don't tell me.
Speaker 3: How you go. But I think he has everything it takes to win. I think he's the perfect person to win.
Speaker 1: Well go, King Khan, is what I have to say. And anyway, the last question that I ask everyone that joins the podcast is what's something from behind the scenes that where as an audience didn't see that we might appreciate from your time making Survivor.
Speaker 3: Okay, cool, So.
Speaker 2: There's one little behind the scenes thing that you didn't get to see on TV, And it's quite a funny story actually that one day we caught I think my tribe caught like nine fish. No one wanted to gut it, and they didn't really know what to do with it, and I think I kind of just put it in my hands because they're like, how your can'd sister, You obviously know what to do. So I spent like an hour gutting these fish with like I didn't have a knife because al machete was blunt as hell. I was cutting it up with like a shell, pulling all the guts out, and then we cooked it in just the coals and it was honestly the most delicious meal I had there.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we'll see you on the next season of Master Chef.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't go that far.
Speaker 1: Well, Amy, can I just say you were so fantastic to watch. You know. My favorite moment of yours was when you were asked, you know who you're playing your idol for and you weren't. I'm playing it for me. I thought it was. I just thought it was really cute the way that you said that. So anyway, congratulations on your time and Survivor. I thoroughly enjoyed it. And I look forward to seeing you on whatever show can't sets you up for next.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for having me