Speaker 1: This episode was recorded on cameragle Land. Hi guys, and welcome back to another episode of Life on Cut. I'm Brittany and I'm Keisha, and today we're going to talk about something that affects every single woman I know, every single person I know. But today we are really going to hone in on women stress. Think about the last time you spoke to a friend. When did you run into somebody and say, hey, how are you going? And they answered with I am great. I've been having so much fun lately. I'm super relaxed. I'm loving my life. It's not often that you hear that response. The most common response is overwhelmed, stress, flat out like a lizard, drinking, can't sleep, running around, chasing my tail, running around after the kids. Anxiety is high, haven't had a day off in weeks. I feel like that is the most common response.
Speaker 2: I do too, and I just feel like, even within myself, I just have this constant feeling of not being able to quite catch my tail, like not being able to quite catch up. You know, we joke a lot about the whole Oh, this week's been really stressful, but don't worry. Next week will be better. But then we just keep on saying that time after time after.
Speaker 1: Time, next week's worth exactly.
Speaker 2: And stress is something that I think we are all all experiencing to such a large extent, but none of us really have particularly easy and simple ways to break that stress down and to reduce it in our lives. And that's why today's guest is the wonderful doctor Rungan Chatategy Now. He is a practicing medical doctor. He's got over two decades worth of experience. He is also a writer. He's written over six books, he hosted TV shows for over a decade, and he has one of the most popular podcasts in the world in the health and wellness category.
Speaker 3: It is called Feel Better, Live More.
Speaker 1: And I think we all underestimate just how much stress affects our lives and affects our body mentally, spiritually, physiologically, the whole kitten kaboodle. And the best thing about doctor Chattagy is he really breaks it down to make it simple. It's not complex. He wants to make it palatable because he genuinely cares about changing people's lives. So, from your twenty three years practicing medicine, what do you think is some of the most common issues women are facing I know from the outside, from people in my life and myself included, I feel like burnout and overwhelm are the things that seem to be consuming everyone's lives.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would agree. I think stress, fatigue, burnout, overwhelmed seems to be the symptom of the day, right. I mean you're asking for women. I think a lot of men feel that as well, but specifically with women, I would say absolutely, that is a huge issue. I think it's getting worse, and I think we're looking at it the wrong way. Actually, one thing I've realized over my you know, twenty three years of practice now is that stress doesn't just come from the outside we think it does. We think stress is only to do with what we have going on. I've got to do this, I've got to do that, I've got to pick this person. We've got to do that. My boss has asked me to do this. That is true, those things are all stresses. At the same time, I would say for most of us, the majority of stress we experience is generated by ourselves. What do I mean by that? This was probably the key learning in my life a few years ago, which is probably the number one reason why I generally feel calm, happy, content, generally in control of life, even though I have a busy life, because I realized that we have the power with our minds to frame every situation. We can take what I call a victim mindset to life, and I say that with compassion, I honestly do. I'm not I'm not blaming anyone for that. Or we can say what I call the architect mindset to life, where we understand that we get to frame every single situation. And so you know, it's something that until you get it, it seems like what you talking abouts, right, But I'll tell you how I got this. One of the most powerful conversations I've ever had on my own podcast, which has been running for seven and a half years now, is with a ninety three year old lady called Edith Eager. Now. When I spoke to her, she was ninety three years old, and she was telling me about her childhood. Now, when she was sixteen years old, she got taken to Auschwitz concentration camp with her sister, and both her parents were murdered within two hours of getting there. Right, She's a sixteen year old, young, young lady and two hours after her parents have been murdered. She's asked to dance and perform for the senior prison guards. And do you know what she said to me? She said wrong, And listen, I never forgot the last thing my mother said to me. My mom said to me, Edith, never ever forget. Nobody can take from you the contents that you put inside your own mind. So she then tells me, when I was dancing in Auschwitz, I wasn't actually dancing in Auschwitz. In my mind. I was in Budapest opera house. There was a full orchestra playing, there was a full house, there was beautiful music, it was wonderful. And I'm thinking, your parents have been murdered, you're you're literally in a death camp, and you're reframing this in your mind. And there's many things she told me, But the final word she said to me, which relates to your question, is she said this. She said Wrongan, I have lived in Auschwitz, and I can tell you the greatest prison you will ever live inside is the prison that you create inside your own mind.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 4: And I'll tell you, Brittany Ikish that Penny dropped for me that day. I thought, that's what we all do. We go around the world, and the car driver cuts us up and we get stressed and angry, and we feel that it was the car driver that made us stressed and angry, but it isn't. Actually it's our response to the car driver that's making us angry.
Speaker 1: I relate to that so much, and I've spoken about this and we wrote about it in our book. But I spent a month with this Buddhist monk and the one thing, the big takeaway that I took from his learnings was that your whole life and quality of life depends on your reaction to the given situation. It's not the situation, because that's happened regardless. You can't change it. But you can change the way you think about it. You can change the way you deal with it, and you can change the way you move on. And I still try to put that into practice now. I even had road rage this morning on the way here, and then I had to stop myself for a second and think, why am I so angry? I can't change what is happening right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's such a beautiful example, and there's so many things there. First of all, even if we know this stuff, it doesn't mean we won't still do it right. So, as you said, you had road rage this morning, but you're at least aware now that actually you know what I was generating that stress like. It wasn't the driver, it was actually me. I didn't need to That's the key learning for people, because why I'm so passionate about this idea is, yes, it relates to your contentment and your happiness, but it also relates to your health. Right, And this is the big thing I try to outline in my in my latest but may change at last. So I tried to say, guys, the reason why we're struggling to make changes that actually last in the long term, and we keep trying to think, why can't I give up sugar, Why can't I do this, why can't I do that? Is I think we forget about internal stress. So let's use the car driver as an example. Right, so we all know that feeling when we're driving our car when someone cuts us up, and that we might start shouting or going, you know, stupid drivers, shouldn't have a license whatever, you know, whatever story, whatever, our version of that is. What we do in that moment is we're creating internal emotional stress. That internal emotional stress is not neutral. You will have to neutralize it in some way or another. And how do most of us try and neutralize it? Sugar kathee, alcohol, two three hours, sort of doom, scrolling on Instagram, whatever it might be. Those things are a response to the stress that we created by the way we interacted with that neutral situation. And once we learn to go wait a minute, maybe I can train myself to not go mad every time a driver comes into my lane because I used to be that guy and I'm not anymore. Right, I've become aware, first of all, and little by little, by practice, or I couldn't do it, and that night I was like, ah, wrong, And you know what, you did it again today, didn't you next time? You don't need to reract like that, just like if you're going from the sofa to a five K. We understand that you can train your body physically, but you can also train your mindset. And so, going back to your original question, loads of women are struggling with stress, overwhelm, fatigue. I'm not at all saying that aren't external stresses on women. That there absolutely are, but what I'm also trying to say is that actually a lot of the stress in our lives is by the way we look at the situation, and if we learn to look at situations differently, often we won't feel as stressed. Doctor.
Speaker 2: Strategy is something that I've heard you speak about before that is kind of related to this whole mindset shift around food in particular, Like you just mentioned, a lot of us seem to struggle with the whole sugar craving, the whole like it gets to a certain part of the evening and we scurry away into the kitchen and we'll find whatever we can in the pantry or in the freezer or in the fridge because we're just trying to kind of feel something that we describe as a sugar craving. What's your take on emotional eating and why is it that, especially when we're fatigued, we're burnt out, and we're stressed, so many of us are kind of turning to this this little buzz that we're trying to get over night time before we go to bed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a great question, and I think again, this is the big missing piece when we talk to people about food or improving the way that they eat. People are eating not just for physical hunger. They're eating for emotional hunger as well. Right, and if you're eating for emotional hunger, you don't need another diet. But telling you about the principles of healthy eating, right, you already kind of know that you need to understand what are these internal triggers. One of the exercises that I love and I've been doing with my patients for years is called the three f's or the freedom exercise. Okay, So the three fs are feel, feed and fine. Okay, So next time someone is on their sofa at nine pm in the evening and even though they had a full meal at eight o'clock, they feel like some ice s cream. I'm not saying that's ever happened to you, you guys.
Speaker 1: It was literally me last night. I was just thinking, this is me last.
Speaker 4: Night, just in case it supplies to anyone. Okay, the three F X sise can be really, really powerful. Okay, So you're sitting on the sofa, You've got a urge to have ice cream. Okay. The first step, so I say, have a little pause before you go and get the ice scream out of the freezer. Just ask yourself what am I actually feeling? That's the first F Okay, is this physical hunger. No, I kind of eate an hour ago. Is this emotional hunger? Am I tired? Am I stressed? Have I just had a row with my partner, you know, as the children's bedtime gone on too long? Whatever, it might be one of my really feeling. Then go get the ice scream and have it if you want to. Okay. The next time it happens, you go through the first self again, what am I feeling? And then you go to the second F How does food feed the feeling? So the second F is feed So you've identified the feeling as stressed, and then you go, oh, well, when I have my ice scream, in the short term, at least I feel less stressed. Ah, okay, so that's why I'm eating. I'm like, I'm feeling stressed and ice cream makes me feel better. Okay, great. The next time it happens, you then go to the third F. So you again go through the process, what am I feeling, I'm feeling stressed? How does food feed the feeling? Oh, the ice cream makes me feel less stressed. The third F is find Now that I know the feeling, Now that I know how food feeds the feeling, can I find an alternative behavior to feed that feeling.
Speaker 1: What you're going to say, can you find Can I find the food? Can I find the treats going to satisfy?
Speaker 4: No? Well you could you could. You could apply it like that, or you could go, Okay, so I feel stressed, you normally go to ice cream? What else can I do to manage that stress? Okay, let's say you like yoga for example, Right, you could put on YouTube and go, actually, I'm going to do five minutes of yoga. Right, you could identify that you know what I'm not at any time to myself today, Right, I've just been on zoom calls and so ice cream was a way of just twreating myself. Okay, how could you treat yourself in a different way? Ah, maybe I'll run myself a bath and nourish myself. And it'slightly different way. If it's loneliness that's causing you to eat, as it is for many people, or they feel a bit isolated or lonely instead of going to the ice scream, what else could you do? Well, if you live with someone like your part or a flatmate, you could go and talk to them. If you don't, you could pick up your phone. You could phone a friend, you could phone one of your parents if they're still alive, or whatever it might be. And I know it sounds super simple, but I have used these three s with patients four years and it can often be life changing because you know, your question was why do we do this? Right? A lot of the time we're not conscious of why we're doing this. We get the urge and before we know it, the spoons in our mouth right with ice scream in it. And all this exercise does. It just starts to give you a little bit of a gap between the stimulus, which is I want to eat something, and your response, which is the ice scream. And the more you just create a little gap there, the more you start to understand yourself. And once you understand why you're going to that behavior, right, you've automatically changed your relationship with that behavior. Even if you go to it in the future, you'll know, you know, I'm managing stress here by eating this ice scream, and it means you're For most people, they're less likely to do it once they're tuned in to why they're actually engaging in that behavior. So again, it's a simple exercise that you can apply to food. You can also apply to alcohol or three hours scrolling TikTok or Instagram. You can. It's a very simple you know, will it work for serious addictions, No, probably not. But at the same time, for many of us, when we've got these behaviors that we're really trying to cut back on, it can be a very powerful exercise.
Speaker 1: How much do you think willpower comes into plane? And having said that, do you think will power is something that you can learned? I even say this last night yesterday you mentioned if you're really stressed you want to eat. Yesterday, I was really stressed. I'd been crying in the day, I'd had a whole lot of things. Got tonight time and I bought twenty two East Riggs big ones and I started to eat them because I was like, I want my hit. Started to eat them, couldn't stop, and then there was a complete disconnect with my brain and my body. My brain was literally saying stop eating them, like stop it now, put what is in your hand down. And then I couldn't do it. And then I said to myself, at least too slower, and I could not. That's why I said, I was like, enjoy the egg. That is in your mouth, and I could not. I could not. My mind was being like slower down, enjoy the moment. And then I just was like a guzzleguts and I thought, what is happening there? Why is this huge disconnect happening between my brain and my body?
Speaker 4: Were you stressed at the time? Is that what you said?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah through the roof? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah? And you know, stress causes a disconnection, right, because when you are stressed, it literally changes the way you experience the world. Right, So when you're stressed, your physiology completely changes. Right, You're not expansive, you're not compassionate and empathetic looking at the other perspective, your whole focus comes in. When you're stressed, you're looking for problems. You feel a bit tense, anxious, hypervigilant. That's natural because stress ultimately is your body saying that it thinks that it's in danger. Right. And that's the problem these days is that our stress response has been activated not by wild predators. It's been activated by the state of our daily lives, by our email inboxes, by our multiple social media channels we're trying to keep up to date with or whatever it might be, right, and our body responds in a different way. But that's the key point, Brittany. You have to understand that actually stress literally changes your physiology. So you know you're saying there's a disconnect there. Yeah, there is a disconnect there. That's literally what is going on. Right, So instead of beating yourself up about that, it's like recognizing, oh wow, okay, when I get really stressed. You know, let's say yesterday happens again in two weeks, right, is there anything you can learn from yesterday what you didn't do, for example, that you could have done that could help you have less stress if a similar day happens in two weeks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean absolutely. Firstly, I wouldn't buy the East Dregs on special. Secondly I would probably do pilates.
Speaker 4: Yeah. But also, did you take a break in the day, right? Were you just powering through and the stress just accumulated? Because that's another thing. Often when we're busy and with stressed, we don't take breaks, and all those breaks, even a five minute walk can help reduce stress. Elves reduce strevel, so you're less likely to get to your threshold. And at your threshold is when you buy the twenty two Easter eggs. Right, you don't buy it when you're just a little bit stressed. You buy it when you're right at your threshold. So again, I don't believe in the concepts of wasted time anymore. Right in the sense that we spend time that has a consequence, and if we can learn from how we spent our time, it wasn't a waste. So your stressful day yesterday could be a very powerful teaching moment for you. Could be like, oh wow, so I've still got that tendency when I'm really stressed to go and buy twenty two easter eggs. How I not have that much stress in my life? If the same events happen next time? Could I take a walking break? Could I do a bit of meditation halfway on what I'm commuting home instead of listening to the news. I'm not saying you did that, but could I put on some relaxing music for five minutes or put on a meditation app and just reset. It's not as hard as we think it is once we're aware of what's actually driving our behaviors.
Speaker 2: On this concept of relaxation, I think a lot of us, I mean, particularly for women in our age categories they've got a lot on their plates, a lot of them will be raising young children, a lot of them will still have full time jobs, and even for us who don't have kids, like I feel as though my day is just.
Speaker 3: Go go, go, go, go, go, go go go.
Speaker 2: I get to the very end of the day, I shut the laptop and I try to get to sleep. And the concept of relaxation is one that we've had many conversations about things like toxic productivity and how we are not meant to be trying to fit every single minute, every hour of our day to be the most productive that we can. And relaxation is something that I feel quite uncomfortable with. Guilty, Yeah, I think it is guilt, And there's definitely a discomfort when I'm taking time, you know, time that I would say would be time out to try and put myself into a relaxed state. And it almost creates like a bit of a cycle for me where I'm like, Okay, I know that relaxation is necessary so that I can get good sleep and so I can feel good and maybe say that I can be good tomorrow. But then when I'm actually trying to do the things that relax me, I feel guilty about the fact I'm not using the time more efficiently. Is this something that you see a lot like in your clinical practice?
Speaker 4: Oh? Yeah, especially with women. I've seen this for years. In fact, in my first book, I wrote about this, and I actually said in that book that one thing I've heard from female patients over the years, time and time again is when I talk some about me time and some time each day for it, you know, one of the things I would I would often say some is, you know, can you find ten minutes a day where you do something unashamedly for you, not for your partner, not for your kids, something that just you want to do. And often if I was able to persuade them and inspire them to go, now, this is really important, give it a try, they would come back and say, you know what, Dot, you gave me permission to relax. And it was a really interesting phrase I heard because I thought I never thought my job as a doctor was to give anyone a permission to do anything. But I do find that it's particularly with women. They would often describe to me exactly what you just said. I've seen definitely with mums loads of times, and I appreciate both of you said that, you know, you don't have kids, so that's not necessarily the reason why. But what I'll often say to them is, look, if you're not if you're feeling guilty about this, what I often encourage me to do is, what is it you would love to do? Like absolutely love not you know, I want, I need to do this because it's going to help me relax, need to do my meditation, all right, forget all that for a minute. What would you love to do that sounds like fun? Because we know from the research that regularly doing things that you love makes you more resilient to stress, and at the same time, being chronically stressed makes it harder for you to experience pleasure from those things that you used to love. And so, like, I remember this one patient. She was a fourth I think she was forty four years old, and she was a mother, and she had Crohn's disease, inflammacy bow disease, which is on the rise and fortunate there's many reasons for that. But I said to her, look, I really want you to take fifteen minutes each day for yourself, want you to do something that you love. And literally, for her it was getting into salsid dancing. Right, She'd always wanted to do that, but she never thought she could justify the time she was doing some for her husband, doing some for her children, doing stuff for her community. She never felt yep, actually I'm worth it. It's okay to have fifteen minutes a day for me. And just doing that for four weeks, her symptoms, her symptoms and croneses went down by over fifty percent. Wow. And you know, didn't cure it, just to be clear, but it was much more manageable for her because her stress levels went down. And so you know, and I think, what better prescription to get from your doctor than do something that you love. Right. This could be dancing, It could be playing your guitar if you're into playing guitar. It could be singing in your kitchen, dancing in your kitchen. It could be watching your favorite comedian on YouTube for ten minutes and laughing. But I often find that's a simple and easier way to get into relaxation sometimes, and it can be very effective.
Speaker 1: Doctor Chatji, your book, The Four Pillar Plan How to Relax, eat, move and Sleep your way to a longer, healthier life. What a great name for a book, because everybody wants that. Let's talk about the four pillars, and how do you decide that these were going to be the specific special fourth.
Speaker 4: Well, so, the four pillars of health that we have the most control over and have the most impact on our health are food, movement, sleep, and relaxation. And what I say in that book, and I still maintain to this day, is that you don't need perfection in any one of the four pillars, but you need balance amongst all four. Okay, you need to think about those four. And I think a really helpful piece of advice for anyone listening to this right now is to ask yourself in which of these four pillars do I need the most help? Most of us intuitively know that if you ask, you know, food, movement, sleep, and relaxation, which one is our kind of weak area?
Speaker 3: What happens if you have two, Well.
Speaker 4: Let's come to that. If you've identified that, actually, this one's really bad, right, I would say you're much better off making one change in that week, Carrier, rather than trying to strengthen your favorite area, and you're your strong area a bit more so, what I would often see is people, let's say, people who are really interested in nutrition their diets already, let's say eighty five percent goods. They're obsessed with taking the diet from eighty five percent good to ninety or ninety five percent good, but neglecting the fact that they're only sleeping five hours a night. And I'm like, you know what, keep your diet where it is, a little bit of sugary stuff at the weekends. Fine, don't stress about that. I would much rather you focus on bringing that five hours a sleep up to five and a half hours, or to six hours if you can. Yeah, sure, seven hours if you can. But you know, just a little bit of improvement. I found over the years that it's much more effective to strengthen your weakest pillar. Right, So I think it's a very simple thing for people to ask themselves, which pillar do I need the most working? And pick one thing in that area where you can start to make it better. In response to your question, if you find there's two areas well, the first thing I'd say is which one is weaker? If you know? If you don't know, I would say, yeah, put your attention on those two, right, don't worry about the other two pillars. Just go these two. Read a lot of attension at the moment, I don't know. Let's say it was stress and sleep for example. You know, you say, Okay, what's one thing I can do each day to help me destress and what's one thing I can do that's going to help me sleep better? And just focus on those things. I think that where we really get into trouble is where we try and make loads of changes in all of these four pillars and we end up doing nothing.
Speaker 3: Britt what do you reckon you'd struggle with the most.
Speaker 1: Sleep's definitely mine, one hundred percent. And that's actually something that I wanted to chat to you about. Obviously, men and women are wired very differently. How do these pillars or sorry, which category or which pillar itself affects women and men differently?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a great question. I would say, stress, okay, is probably one of the big ones where you see a I think it's the thing that affects so many of us these days. You know, the World Health organizers say that stress is the health epidemic of the twenty first century. I would say the way that we can often manage stress and the way we look at stress can be quite different. I think women absorb a lot of the stresses off the world around them into their bodies. I think, you know, it really relates to what you said before about this guilt. I think women very much are wired to want to, you know, look after the world around them, you know, nurture, and I think the way modern society has changed, where there is so many things to do and so many pressures, I think it probably adversity affects women more than men. And we know that women, for example, get higher rates of autoimmune disease than men, and stresses a big part of that. Right. In fact, Gable matse dotor Gable maase trauma expert. He calls women, I think modern society stress absorbers, right, which is really interesting. He says, there's all the stress in the modern world, and women seem to be I'm not saying men have no stress, to be clear, but I do think women are quite unique with how they take that stress on and how much it affects their bodies.
Speaker 3: We internalize it more, I think, so.
Speaker 4: Yeah, very much so, and often don't vocalize it. Whereas you know, you can't say men and women were all different within that, but broadly speaking, I think men can be better at compartmentalizing things and just moving on. Actually, I'll leave that and it's slot there, and I can move on to a different part of my life and not think about that. Whereas I I certainly my experience with seeing patients over the years is that women don't do that in the same way. I think potentially people can learn to do that, but I don't. I think men more naturally tend to do that. I always think food we can think about differences between men and women, And again these are just broad generalizations. Broadly speaking, a lot more men tend to thrive on fasting plans than women. Right, that doesn't mean women can't fast. Just to be clear, I've got many female that thee is who thrive on a certain form of fasting.
Speaker 3: What do you mean when you say thrive, Do you mean that they have the results thereafter or that they actually feel bitter and have physical health?
Speaker 4: Both? Really both? Because I think there is this narrative now that fasting is maybe okay for men, but it isn't something women should do. I agree, broadly speaking, that men and women deal with this stuff differently. I think fasting can be a stressor on the body, right, it is a stress on the body. So if you're already experiencing lots of stress, and we've just mentioned how women may be internalized stress in a different way to men, fasting can be an additional stress and tip them over. I have seen that as well. But I do think, broadly, speaking to that sort of general question, what do men and women respond differently to? I think the way they deal with stress, I think can be quite different, but also the way that they deal with fasting can be very different as well. A lot of this cultural than the sense that you know, these things are quite punchy areas with people to talk about, right, But there is a lot of pressure on women these days, I think, and I'm saying this as a man, this is what I've observed with patients, what I've observed with my wife and her friends. Let's compare to I don't know, fifty years ago, right. Just to be clear, I'm not saying we should be going back to the way things worth fifty years ago, right, I'm just just to be super clear. Life fifty years ago, for all the potential negatives, in some ways, it was simpler, right. People knew what their role was. Whether we agree with those roles or not. Those roles were quite well defined in many cultures, and I think those well defined roles led to a simplicity and potentially lower stress. Whereas I think one of the risks, or one of the unintended consequences of all the increased opportunity now that women are getting compared to fifty years gon not even saying it's as good as it should be, I'm just saying compared to fifty years ago, what I find is that, yeah, women are working now, They're doing great jobs, they're starting amazing businesses. Yet if and when they choose to have children, they still feel that maternal instinct of being the care of being the nurture, being the one who wants to look after the kids. So in fifty years ago, perhaps broadly speaking, their focus could just be on that, whereas now the focus is I'm still trying to run my business, I'm still trying to crush it on Instagram, and I'm also trying to look after the kids. That is a lot to contend with, right, And I don't think this has been planned. I'm saying this is an unintended consequence, but I think it's something we need to wrestle with as a society. I think we need to wrestle with this idea is like, are we putting too much on women's plates? How can we change that? But I also to defend men here, and I'm a man saying this, But I also do believe that men are also struggling with new gender roles, right, Men are also struggling with well, what is my role now? Like I remember, my dad was never ever at a school play, a school performance. Like dad worked, right, Dad's job was to earn the money to feed us all. Whereas I remember when my kids were young, I had a busy job, but I was I still felt huge pressure and I wanted to be at my children's performances, you know, I wanted to be at school at two pm to watch them read out a recital, lever it might be. And again, I'm not complaining, right, I'm not complaining at all. But I do think it's interesting and I don't think I think we need to have honest conversations about how our roles have changed. And it's okay to say actually were struggling with this. And I think saying that we struggle with this doesn't mean we wanted to go back and it doesn't mean we're being sexist. It just means, hey, this is a real problem. Let's come together and try and figure out how we might move forward with this. Did that all make sense?
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 4: I also think what plays in here is the way we now live, right is quite alien to how we used to live. So the nuclear family, for example, is a modern invention. Right for most of human evolution, we did not bring up kids by ourselves, you know, in nuclear families. It was in tribes, it was in communities. And so this has a real consequence. Right now, everything has plus points and negative points pretty much everything in life. There's an upside and a downside. Okay, So one of the upsides of many people will say now is we have independence, we can move away, get a really good job, go to the city, have all this opportunity that we didn't have in the past. Great, that's an upside. Downside is we've often moved away from our parents, our siblings, our community, the people who knew us, the people who would support us. So the consequence of nuclear families is so many couples, their relationships are under huge stress after they have kids. You know, I've seen it with a lot of my friends I've seen it with countless patients. And it's not that that people don't love each other, it's just it's too much for two And this is on the assumption that there's two parents living together, which of course much of the time isn't the case. But if two parents are working and then they have children who look after it and they have no support nearby, that is full on. You have no time to nourish your relationship, you know, So you know, the partners become dissent, they start niggling with each other. That in and off itself creates stress, right, And so I think the only way we get to a solution is by honestly identifying what is the root of this problem and understanding that I don't think we were designed to do all this by ourselves. That I think is one of the root causes of why there's so much sort of stress going on and why we're struggling with these new roles.
Speaker 3: On this topic of stress.
Speaker 2: I think for me, the first thing that is affected when I feel stressed is that I'm not able to get as good quality sleep, and I think that that is something that probably everybody experiences.
Speaker 3: But another thing that I think.
Speaker 2: Is specific to women, is that these hormonal fluctuations that we go through, whether that be you know, throughout a time of life or even a time.
Speaker 3: Of the month.
Speaker 2: I mean, I guess I'm sample study of one, but I've definitely experienced different sleep patterns and the quality of sleep that I'm able to get. I feel like it changes over the course of like my menstrual cycle and throughout.
Speaker 3: Different periods of my life. What are those changes, how.
Speaker 2: Are they affecting you know, firstly, our stress levels, and how are they affecting our ability to get good quality sleep?
Speaker 4: When you mentioned the cycle there, the mental cycle, and how in different stages of the cycle you feel different levels of stress and different amounts of sleep. That is normal, Okay, that's completely normal. You know, your body is hormonally different throughout the mental cycle. That's one of the key differences between women and men are preate on these twenty four hour cycles. Women operate on, you know, traditionally this more twenty eight day cycle. Of course, there's a bit of variation there whether it's twenty eight days or twenty six or thirty thirty one, but you know, broadly speaking, that's same massive difference between men and women. And I actually remember I spoke to Dr Mindy Pelts on my podcast about maybe three years ago. She was just breaking down the different stages of a female cycle and how a woman might want to eat differently at various times. She was you know, I remember very clearly she's saying, you know, the week before the periods, she was saying, actually, you know, most women do crave carbs, and it's okay to actually indulge and have those carbs in that week, but you know, at the start of the cycle you may not as much. So if you do want to, you know, change your diet and go lower carb for example, then that's the time to do it. But we also discussed in that conversation, let's say in a heterosexual couple, for example, let's say a man and a woman, right that benefits have actually been quite open about what stage on someone's cycle someone is, so I think for many years we thought, well, it's you know, it's not the man's business, you know what's going on with a woman's mental cycle. But we were just hypothesizing, well, might it create more harmony in relationships if the other partner, whether it was a man or woman. Frankly, doesn't really matter that knew that. Actually, yeah, at this point, you know, I'm not sleeping as well, I'm a bit more moody. I'm craving carbs. Actually, then you know at those points, actually you could if you let's say, if that was my wife, for example, and I knew, okay, this is the week leading at her period and she's struggling with this sleep. With that knowledge, I can be more patient. I can you know, try to not take things personally and go, oh, this is hormonal. She's struggling with this. And I think increasing that communication over these things, I actually think while some people may say it's in a fridgement of privacy and it's no one else's business. Fine, I'm not here to tell, you know, what everyone should or shouldn't do. I just think it's quite a nice thing to think about. Actually, might that be helpful? And certainly since that conversation, my wife and I do communicate about this kind of stuff, and I would say it's really really helps because I have a much better understanding of where she is in her cycle and how that also affects her and therefore affects our relationship.
Speaker 1: Do women need more sleep than men?
Speaker 4: As a rough generalization. I was saying my experience, I would say, yes, right, that seems to be the case. But I can't say it's the case for everyone, right, you just can't. We're all the individual, we're all different. So I can't say that every woman needs more set than every man. But as a broad principle, I do think women tend to thrive on a little bit more seat than men. Certainly, again, this is again in any course one, but in my own marriage, I would say my wife absolutely needs more sleep than me, good hour and night, more seat than me, and it's very noticeable if she's not guessing that. And I don't mean that in a derogatory way, just to be really clear, I just I'm just genuinely it's sort of just I'm just defending my wife that I'm not saying anything nastam. It's just and I think we would both agree she does seem more seat to me, and that's certainly what's seemed with my patients.
Speaker 1: There was an interview that you did with doctor gable Matte, and for me, it was so powerful and it was something that really changed the way I think. And it was sort of around you know, he's in his late sixties, and it was around if you had to go back and do something differently in your life, what would you do? And it was really powerful when I watched it, and he talked a lot about he would do everything differently, and he would spend more time sitting in joy and things that you know, his family and the things that mattered to him, because he just thought he had to.
Speaker 3: Work, work, work.
Speaker 1: For me, I really took a lot away from that conversation, and I've been thinking about it a lot. Out of all the conversations you've had over the years and all the incredible peace you've had the chance to speak to, is there something or someone or a piece of advice that has really stuck with you and changed the course of the way that you think and act.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he wishes he'd played more. Right. For all his success, for all his expertise, for all the fact that he's invited all over the world to speak and he's sold a squillion books, he again has regrets. He wishes to live life differently. He wishes he'd played more And think it goes back to what I said earlier on about passion right. Doing things that you love that you enjoy is really good for you. It helps you become more resilient to stress as well. So I think too much of the health conversation these days is about deprivation and restriction. Right, we don't talk enough about joy. Doing things that you love is good for you. Right, It's really good for you. And actually it's something I wish we would talk about a lot more. And actually, when I come on tour to Australia this summer, I will absolutely be talking about this and the benefits of more joy and passion in your life. So I've had four conversations with Gabor on my podcast over seven years, and they've all touched me in different ways. But if you say, what was the conversation, what was the piece of advice that has had the most impact, It's what I started the show with, right, It's my conversation with Edith Eager that I re released recently for an episode five hundred special. That conversation changed me. It fundamentally changed who I was, because not only did she say those magical words you know wrong. And I've lived in Auschwitz and I could tell you the greatest prison you will ever live inside is the prison that you create inside your own minds. But it literally you know, I remember coming out of that conversation and I said to my videographer, I'm not the same person anymore. Like I am not the same person anymore. That the way I view myself and the world has fundamentally changed. Because for me, understanding that in a death camp she could reframe her experiences, it just really powerfully taught me that, oh wrong, good. You know what, even on your worst day, you're not in a death camp, right, So if she can reframe her experiences in Auschwitz, you can reframe them in your own life. And that single realization has changed the way that I experienced life. It's changed the way I experience stress. And if I'm ever struggling, I go, what's the other perspective here? How can I take a different perspective on this situation, which would mean it would not be as stressful. So I've had over five hundred conversations, many of them have left their profound effects on me. But if you make me choose, it would still be that conversation with that ninety three year old lady Edith Eager.
Speaker 3: What a beautiful and powerful woman. That's so special. Thank you so much for joining us. Today.
Speaker 2: We are so grateful to be chatting to you from the other side of the world. But we might not have to chat to you from the other side of the world for very long because you are coming to visit us in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane in July. Why we are going to have links to doctor Rungan, Charatejy's social media podcast and tour in our show notes.
Speaker 3: Thank you, thank you, thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 4: Guys, thank you very very much, really joined my chat and I cannot wait to be in Australia this summer. So we're coming for a family holiday and those three dates and we cannot wait.
Speaker 2: Well, if you have some time in Sibby would love to show you around and if you would like to have a chat in person. I mean, I don't necessarily want to make you worth more on your family.
Speaker 3: Holiday, but if you've got the time.
Speaker 4: We would love to pay right well, listen, let me check it out and if so, yes, I'll see you guys as Sydney. I look forward to it.
Speaker 1: We would love that.
Speaker 4: Takkay guys. Byeye