Speaker 1: Welcome to them, Christian No Con Show podcast. Yesterday my wife was out. The kids refused to sit down and watch it with me because they were like, oh, hang on a minute. When, as I said, about every movie, would I go, let's watch a movie, go hang on it? When was it my I went nineteen ninety, They're like, forget it, it's an old movie, all right, to them, that's a really old movie. Whilest what we was black and white? Oh, they would Charlie Chaplin.
Speaker 2: They would be disgusted with the special effects of the ghosts.
Speaker 1: Ghost You're right, the tick Job generation aren't gonna dig go. So basically I watched it by myself yesterday evening, and I still found myself crying alone on the couch. Okay, got me all those years later? What a movie? Genuinely, I love watching it again. I forgot what a great movie and it still stands up. I didn't do that thing. You know now, when you're streaming sumthing you press ports and you go, how much left on this? I'm so we're so rude, now, aren't we. You never used to to do that in this cinema. You just sat there and absorbed it. You didn't even think about, like how long is left on it? You were lucky to be watching the movie.
Speaker 2: I pretty much do that every week as we rewatch an old film. It's pause and check how long it's left on the time Ghost is an exception. I've never seen it before, and hang on.
Speaker 1: A minute, this is gonna be a new side category right when we do the movies. This is a non pauser This is.
Speaker 2: A non pausal Wow, all the way through, without even getting up and walking around the.
Speaker 1: Hills, got loads going on. It was they still set. It was at the birth of the rom com really, because after that, you know, they became Harry met Sally after that huge mega success of this movie. But it's actually more than a romantic comedy. It's got a lot in this, this stuff about the afterlife. There's action scenes in it, a revenge story. It's brilliant.
Speaker 2: I thought it would be way more sappy just from what I knew of the trailers. But yeah, there's murder, money laundering, drug dealers, gunfights. And the part I love the most is like Patrick Swayze, for me, is the best actorate that.
Speaker 1: Is on that right. He was on like a four movie test. So if you think about it did Dirty Dancing in nineteen eighty seven. Then he goes to do a year and a half later, Roadhouse, which we reviewed on the show Non Pauser I'm getting as I loved Roadhouse. Then a year later he does this Ghost, right, biggest movie of the nineties, and then he does Point Break a year later. That's quite a four movie tear.
Speaker 2: What are you giving for acting in this movie? Because why I loved him as a ghost. I did feel like he hammed it up a few times during the movie, for.
Speaker 1: Sure, when he's doing his whole convulsions when the ghosts come through him. It's terrible. You're like, why didn't the director yell cup?
Speaker 2: You know you're doing a great job.
Speaker 1: This is going to be huge at the box office. What are you doing?
Speaker 2: Pull back on some of those factual expressions. The one I love the most the first time he becomes a ghost and he realizes that he's a dead body and he's in Demi Moore's arms. The look that he puts on his face. Surely they wanted to cut that.
Speaker 1: It looks like he'd watched a couple of episodes of Home and Away and use some of these sort of acting range in that to put it into a big box office movie. It's so hammy and the rest of it. He's brilliant in it.
Speaker 2: This is his face when he looks at himself for the first time.
Speaker 1: That exactly now. I know it's radio, but we will put this up on We'll do a compare of contrast with the actual movie. See how many other things I noticed watching it again, because I remember when this came out. It was obviously at the cinema, right and I was going out with a girl at the time, in nineteen ninety, and she loved it so much we had to go and watch it. I watched it three times with her. You know, when you're willing into someone and you put up with any time to do anything, You just do anything just to be near them. I was seventeen at the time. That's not a judged three times to see this at the movie anyway. Watching it again, yessay, alone on the couch, weeping in the darkness. Demi Moore wonder ability she can crown demand out of either rye.
Speaker 2: Did you notice that saw that separate falling tears?
Speaker 1: I didn't notice sagon tears. Yeah. I actually rewound a couple of times it's like, how did she do that? That doesn't get enough credit? We got it, Perry put that video up. She can crown demand, she can go left right, both at the same time, or again left alrighty.
Speaker 2: It's impressive, as impressive as when you see a strong man do peck peck peck?
Speaker 1: Which double tie? Why did she? Why is it more made? It got two oscars. The movie Whoop be Godberg deserved an oscar. She's incredible. Bear in mind she doesn't turn up to the start the second third. I think she's like forty minutes in. She's amazing and it's Swaysy's great. You also won an oscar for about original screenplay. They wanted to write a movie. The guy won the oscar for it from the point of view of a ghost, and actually, when you watch the movie knowing that you get it is very much on Swayseey's point of view. There are some great scenes in it. It's amazing. Moneh, I love and say the back of the couch, tack it with you? What about that ditto scene? Did that movie you?
Speaker 2: I love Yeah, me too, I love.
Speaker 1: You, I really love you. And my other favorite scene is the first time that Demi Moore goes to see this mystic Whoopy Goldberg and Swaysea are man there even though she can't see him. He's a ghost. He's there. What a crack of ship he delivers that line. It's so funny. I remember in the cinema still he got such a big laugh. I just love when he goes a crack of shit cover of the things. Watching it again, it's a strange ending, isn't it. Where he goes into Woody golds book. He goes into the body and at this when we talk about it becomes an Adam Sounder movie, doesn't it. So he goes into the body of Whoope Goldberg and then Whoopee. But Swazy on the screen dances with his with his wife.
Speaker 2: With Demi Moore, and they missed a real comedy cut there because they're showing the ghost of Swayzey dancing with Demi Moore. They should have cut back to Whoopee.
Speaker 1: If I was directing that movie, you you have top puff Swayzey, bottom half Whoopee, and then you keep flip around like suddenly it's the it's the head of Whoopee on the on the body like a photo shop. That's how they should have done it. Basically.
Speaker 2: The other thing about that, which is the most famous scene of the movie is the dance with the ghost. At the end, they know that somebody is on there, on his way to kill Demi Moore, yet.
Speaker 1: His wife, who who he can't leave behind to go to heaven.
Speaker 2: He's on his way. He's minutes from walking through the door with the knife to kill her. Except he's got time for.
Speaker 1: A slow There's always time for one last dance. You say, most famous scene. No, let's talk about the pottery scene. It's beyond phanic. No, no, no, no, come on, it's a meter long schlong.
Speaker 2: I didn't wonder.
Speaker 1: I did wonder. And that's how she's getting over her husband. She's keeping his memory alive by this.
Speaker 2: I didn't wonder. What's going to needed to be?
Speaker 1: How big are these flowers? How stats while swayzy, we'll never know? Okay, wait, we'll never know. By the way side note, our thirty something producer Real just goes to jacket Iron join the song. Just look on im TV hasn't done much lately. Hard to when you're dead, it's hard to get work. And anyway, he googled it like we were like fake news. So are we learning about Swaze and dice? Okay? Oh guys, anyway, it's beyond phanic and then that's her thing, right, it's obviously pottery. She's actually very good. She's made a meet a long right, and then the ghost Swayze turns, and Sticky's fingering and it goes everywhere. If my wife's hobby was pottery, and she's made this beautiful, big vast okay, and then I do turn up and put my finger on it. We're not having sex on the floor. She's in a bad mood. I've ruined her hobby. For Christian O'Connell's show podcast