Speaker 1: Hi day, Hello, Christian O'Connell Show podcast.
Speaker 2: All right, so well we've got the still trending where it's kind of like the second part of the hangover from yesterday's three topic Tuesday. Things you couldn't go anywhere near in your home? For me, it was all about the music center, that massive music center that used to be the entire length of the front room wall, and it was the settings on the graphic equalizer. Couldn't go anywhere near that. That was my dad's domain. So what couldn't you touch at home? Patsy? Please share what you said? Was yesterdabout your dad and what he had a collection of.
Speaker 3: Oh, his tobacco pipes. He had a collection of tobacco pipes and they were placed very carefully on mum's lovely wooden sideboard. But he had them at a certain angle, so he knew that if you'd fiddled picked one up, or if my brothers tried to smoke one, he knew because they're on an exact sort of right angle.
Speaker 2: Things parents had as well. Sideboards. Do we still have sideboards the younger generation? Jackie, you still loving a sideboard? Because sideboard the phrase side board means your nan and granddad and your mom doesn't it it's a it's a certain phrase.
Speaker 4: The sideboard my mum and dad's sideboard was this old sewing machine that I guess got passed down through the families, one of the ones where it still had the foot pedales where you could bring. Yeah, and then they use that as their sideboard.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I obviously chat to my mum now in England is via zoom every week and I still I always ask her to sit just in front of the old sideboard because it just reminds me of still being a kid.
Speaker 5: Mom.
Speaker 2: She sits just in front of the sideboard that has been there since I was a young kid. Yeah, sideboards and nest of occasionals. Those tables within tables within tables, things that only exist in you naningrad. Yes, that's it. You don't see them in home. We've got a nest of occasionals. I'd never have a thing that was a table that a smaller table another too.
Speaker 4: What was the need why did Yeah?
Speaker 2: Because it didn't get used.
Speaker 4: You couldn't keep stuff on those smaller tables because they had to shift back under the.
Speaker 2: Y had the umber lumpas come around for to watch the game. Or something. You might need some different smaller ones and smaller ones and smaller ones. Anyway, what couldn't you touch in your house? Growing up on Facebook? In the lounge room. In the lounge room, we were never allowed to walk on the carpet. Sorry, Paul, I don't levitate on it.
Speaker 4: It's insane.
Speaker 2: I need to walk on the carpet.
Speaker 4: Just do a running jump land on the couch.
Speaker 2: Karen. We couldn't go anywhere near mum's good scissors. This came up a lot yesterday. I didn't know that. You're right though, when you think about it, Mum did have her good scissors. You had the crappy ones. Lenny Christian, it sounds like we had a very similar upbringing. The thing that I could never go anywhere near was the lawn mower. Yeah, it was the same for me. My dad actually told me it was more dangerous than a helicopter blade. Yeah, never go near the lawnmower, like I was going to start the lawnmarp anyway, start cutting grass for the neighbors. Melanie Dad's throne. It was an ugly orange velvet chair that was really really comfortable and strategically. Nickx tol the fireplace, but you were never allowed to sit in it. Well, Melanie, we had this amazing one yesterday from a listener called Dave, who their dad's chair. You were allowed to sit in it only once a year on your birthday whilst everyone sang you Happy birthday, and then you were ejected from the chair outside out, get out, that's dad's chair, all right? What couldn't you touch in your home? In your house at home when you were grown up nine one o four three. The other thing we got some great calls on was memorabilia you own, if you own any memorabilia. We actually spoke to Peter Friedman's the Guys in the news at the moment, who owns Kurt cobained guitar He played on MTV's Unblogged for a cool eight point eight million dollars.
Speaker 1: Christian the Christian o'connells show podcast listening about the house that you grew up in.
Speaker 2: How there were sideboards. It's just just the word the phrase the image sideboard says to me, Mom and dad. Same with those that thing called a nest of occasionals, which was a table, smaller table within it and in a smaller table with than that one as Russian dolls, and Patsy just came to the studio during that song, so that she has not one, not two, but three sideboards.
Speaker 5: Yes, correct?
Speaker 3: Does that make me a nana?
Speaker 2: No? No, no, no, you're just keeping these traditions going.
Speaker 3: Just when we moved into the house, I had this thing for like antique furniture, for like thirty style blackwood furniture.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Do you know what'd be really nice? I think it'd be grateful. We could for the next kind of breakfast show merchandise if we could give away sideboards. Mine have a show sideboard. Okay, we need to have a look on gum tree or hard rubbish. If you're ever getting rid of a sideboard, let us know. Okay, please give it to this breakfast show. We could get some young artists or something. There's so many great ones here who could customize it, all right, and then we give them always show.
Speaker 4: We paint your face on the sideboard, and.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes that's pretty cool with it, put the gold logo on them. But show sideboards. It's a future of merch I watch this space, all right, Let's go to the lines. Now we've got who got on here? Laurie, come oning, good morning, Christian.
Speaker 5: How are you.
Speaker 2: I'm good mate, you're having a good week, Yes.
Speaker 5: I am, thank you all right, so great.
Speaker 2: Growing up? What couldn't you touch?
Speaker 5: When we were growing up, my father was a member of the Freemasons and he had a black briefcase. Now, we were never allowed to shoop, we were never allowed to know what was in it. So I used to ask my mum and she'd say that secret men's business. So we never ever knew. And when he passed away, my twin sister and I opened it and in it was a pair of white gloves and a Bible.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, they're so secretive, the Freemasons.
Speaker 2: They are around for all the world.
Speaker 3: The Freemasons, they normally keep there a printing. There was there, no an there.
Speaker 5: You don't get an apron unless you're a master, which I learned later on from my husband's father was a Mason, so they usually would keep their jewels in it, special jewels they get awarded as they move up the masonry.
Speaker 3: My dad was a master, my grandfather. Yes, oh wow, where do you think the old Godfather?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they called it the Freemasons, but you know the police known as the Godfather family.
Speaker 4: Boo me into that chiropractice the way of the freemace.
Speaker 2: Case with their jewels and gloves, hurting gloves, so it's big black leather gloves are busting people up, all right.
Speaker 5: It was a good excuse to just go for the boys to get together for a drink.
Speaker 2: It probably wasn't even a freemason, just had a couple of those things just to make it look like that. Let's go to I hope I pronounced this right, is it? Yepper?
Speaker 6: That is spot on, mate, Thank.
Speaker 2: You very much. Yepper. What couldn't you go anywhere near when you've grown up? What weren't you allowed to touch?
Speaker 6: We were not allowed to touch when we were driving and sitting in the back seat in my grandmother's car, we weren't allowed to touch the dials for the settings for the seats, well, the front seats. Yeah, because she told us that if we did while the car was moving, it would roll over.
Speaker 2: That's that's amazing when I've not heard that before, But yeah, I can imagine. It was just it was just when nowadays this all electronic, isn't it. You move the little buttons forward and backwards for the settings on the seats and it was just that that round dial.
Speaker 4: I've still got that twist one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll be careful Jack, don't make around that too much. Still the car will turn over. That's great, Thank you very much.
Speaker 7: Cool.
Speaker 2: Have a good day mate, Thanks for calling. Scott. Good morning Scotty, good morning girls.
Speaker 7: Here we're doing oh.
Speaker 2: Scott and Wearab. We haven't spoken to you in ages. I hope you're well. Are you calling it about memorabilia?
Speaker 7: Actually I'm doing both.
Speaker 2: Ah, it's a too far off you go.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 7: When I was when I was younger, my dad actually had a bus set up but ber wines and spirits and stuff. No one was allowed to go anywhere near it. Fast forward through five years later, I had the same bar set up in my lounge.
Speaker 2: Do you want the same it's actually the same or the same gear exact same.
Speaker 7: But well not same gig, same bar, diffinitely.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I had a mate whose dad run a big business and it was a self made man. It's a millionaire. He had his own bar like a Paul him as well, but he had behind his little actual bar it had three stools. The other side of it. He actually had optics, you know, the options like for topping up your wine glass and spirit glasses. Yeah, the optics, yes, said that it almost could open up as a fully functioning bar where you were, you paid and brought drinks. That's awesome, Scott. You've got your dad's bar and what's the other one calling in about.
Speaker 7: And on them on the bar. I actually have a signed Paul Q by Astray's World snooker champion Eddie Chelton.
Speaker 2: That's pretty cool, all right, Scotti, thank you very much for giveing us a call. Have a good day. Thanks everyone, take care, and one time for one last call, Victor.
Speaker 1: Good morning, morning guys. Victor here, how are you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're good, Victor. And what couldn't you touch? Grown up in your house?
Speaker 1: I was not allowed to touch with dad's tools, and and wivertide me as I did, and now I've become as panting as.
Speaker 7: He ers.
Speaker 2: Sadly. I think I might start going this way in a couple of years time, even when that my new Finyl system turns up next week, I think I might morph into finally become activated that they're not allowed to touch the needle or anything that's my don't go anywhere near that. Don't touch your dad's tools.
Speaker 1: That's exactly right. Yeah, because you know, if you moved to Spanish, that was fine. But if you if you didn't put it back in exactly the same location as you found it, then good luck.
Speaker 2: All right, Victor, thank you very much. You Colma, have a good day.
Speaker 7: Christian
Speaker 1: Christian O'Connell Show podcast