Speaker 1: Laura, come on.
Speaker 2: Australia, Allo, everybody.
Speaker 3: Do you know what it's a good day when you arrive alive to work. Yes, it's a good day, Laura. I think that was Socrates said that was it? Okay, it wasn't Laura Bird of the pickup. Socrates and Laura Bird my two favorite philosophers, the modern day philosopher. Okay, I almost and I don't want to sound dramatic everyone, but I almost died on the way to work this morning. Jesus and the well, okay, just brace yourselfs all right, picture this. I just dropped the kids off at daycare, and I had a coffee in one hand, I had my phone in the other hand.
Speaker 2: I wasn't paying a lot of attention to the road.
Speaker 3: Now I don't recommend yes, but wait, it was a pedestrian crossing, and so, believe it or not, I kind of assume that when you approach a pedestrian crossing, cars stop. It's like the Red Sea. You think they're just gonna part ways for you to cross it. Anyway, I'm crossing the road and then out of my periphery, I just it feels like the car that's coming is coming too fast.
Speaker 4: Like, I was like, surely not driving.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like it's coming at me and I can see this is anyway.
Speaker 3: I look up and there it is, this ninety year old lady in a Mercedes with all her windows down, fanging it straight across a pitestri in crossing.
Speaker 2: And I was like, this is one of two things.
Speaker 3: She either probably shouldn't have a license, or she has such little time left she doesn't care.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like I'm not stopping for anyone. She's given up.
Speaker 5: Although that'd be a great eulogy Laura Burn take and a great Daily Mail article Laura Burn taken out by botox ridden ninety years old in Mercedes bed I.
Speaker 6: Can't see it and hasn't done a license retest in twenty five years.
Speaker 2: Laura, you can't just make assumptions like that.
Speaker 6: You can't just assume a car is going to stop, Like you can't have your head down in your phone and just be.
Speaker 2: Like, ah, I trust them.
Speaker 3: I thought you were gonna say, I can't make assumptions that she was an nice and I was like, yeah, that was a bit rough.
Speaker 4: She might have been eighty five, Yeah, yeah, okay.
Speaker 5: On the show today, speaking of near death experiences, Margo Robbie today and Greta Gerwick, the stars behind the Barbie movie. I mean their careers have almost died. The Oscar nominations have come out. They were snubbed. We have a lot to talk.
Speaker 2: About, Rob Margo, Robbie.
Speaker 5: That's good from you, brit Actually Margo Robi in Barbie. They got fried on the Barbie I don't know. The only way to get to the bottom of the Oscar nominations and the snubbery is to play the pick up, Favorite, pickup or put down. So we're going to start the show with that next right around Australia, Let's start the show now today. If you're not aware, the Academy have ruled their iron fist and the Oscar nominations are out for twenty twenty four or for the films we enjoyed in twenty twenty three. There is a lot of controversy online and we will get to the snubbery of it all. But we thought the only way to really tackle this head on is to play. Really in the political and cultural landscape of Australia, the pickup segment, Pickup put down is how the country decides what is right and what is wrong.
Speaker 3: That's absolutely the limus. It's kind of like rock paper scissors total.
Speaker 4: It's like the sixty minutes of the modern age.
Speaker 2: We are the law.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm gonna throw you some topics. Girls.
Speaker 5: It is your job to go pick up like you're into it or put down you hate it.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 5: Margo Robbie not getting a Best Actress nominations at the Oscars.
Speaker 3: What, Brittany, You can not sit on the fence, hick one, Brittany. It's one or the other.
Speaker 2: But I have great reasoning for both.
Speaker 5: Why because she was snubbed? Margot Robbie did not get nominated. Ryan Gosling famously did for his role as Can, but Barbie did not know it was her movie.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, this is where I'm sitting.
Speaker 6: I would normally say I would understand, and there wouldn't be so much uproar if she wasn't nominated, Because the Oscars, I feel like are the creme de la creme, right, Like we're talking Nicole Kidman, Julia Roberts, Kate Winslett, some of the Helen Mirren like.
Speaker 2: Huge, huge names.
Speaker 6: So if it was just that she wasn't nominated, wouldn't be the end of the world. I'd be like, Okay, you've got time, you're a great actress. But it's not the end of the world. The fact that makes this so shitty is that it's almost ironic that in a film about feminism that was the biggest grossing film of all time with Greta go Wing and Mungo Robbie, the person that was nominated was the man Ryan Gosling.
Speaker 2: That is where it is show. I completely agree.
Speaker 3: Also, Ryan has just come out and he said, of course he's happy about his own nomination, but he said, without Ken, there is no Barbie, which would mean that there is no Margo Robbie and she I think she did an amazing job.
Speaker 2: Look, I know, look, I'm not a movie buff.
Speaker 3: I don't know what constitutes great acting, but I think if you're going to have the highest grossing movie of the entire year, surely that makes you a half decent actress.
Speaker 5: No, I agree completely. And the snubbery of Gretagwig, I mean she put this on the map. That is the definition of brilliance in directing.
Speaker 4: Let's move on.
Speaker 5: Okay, what about this Oppenheimer getting third eighteen nominations?
Speaker 2: Pick Up, pick up. I haven't even watched it.
Speaker 3: Okay, I think I'm the only person in the whole country who hasn't seen the film yet, but I heard a lot about it, and apparently it's very good, So I'm gonna say it seems like it's well deserved.
Speaker 2: What do you think, Britte literally the same.
Speaker 6: I haven't seen it, but I've read a lot of articles saying it was brilliant.
Speaker 5: Okay, well, maybe this is where I can. I've watched it. It's about the creation of the atomic yeah, okay, and it was very cinematically good, but it just didn't have the cultural impact. So I think I think Barbie should have got more nominations than Oppenheimer. That's my hot tank.
Speaker 3: Do you think that this is a conspiracy, like the male films versus the female film Oh, of course, of course.
Speaker 4: There is one. Yeah, that is symptomatic of the whole industry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think that's a conspiracy. Yeah, I think that's fact.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Martin Score says he becoming the oldest person to get nominated for Best Director at the ripe old age of eighty one.
Speaker 2: Pick up.
Speaker 3: But also, I think at eighty one it's okay to retire, Like if you want to take a break and have a nap, you're allowed to. I do not plan on doing anything that is that sensational when I'm eighty one.
Speaker 2: I'll be on holidays.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 6: I think it's absolutely incredible that people are kicking like the ultimate goal in their industry at that age in their eighties, when most people couldn't possibly dream of even being able to work in the industry.
Speaker 2: And he's like plucking the fruit from the top of the tree.
Speaker 4: I completely agree.
Speaker 5: My Olmer gets lost in the aisles of audi at eighty one, and if Martin Score says he can still get nominated for an Oscar, I'm all for that.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's a real discrepancy between an eighty one year old, isn't there. There's some that are still kicking goals, and then there's some people who are feeling a.
Speaker 5: Bit more elderly, and there's some that have a death wish out for Laura burn On the pedestrian crossings of the country.
Speaker 4: All right, everyone, Well, that's pick up put down.
Speaker 5: I think that segment is perfect to decide Australia's big moments.
Speaker 3: And what was the decision that we're completely sitting on the fence and that brute is not decisive?
Speaker 2: Is that what the decision was?
Speaker 4: We love Margot Robbie and we.
Speaker 2: Do love her anyway.
Speaker 3: Look, coming up, we have one thousand dollars to give away for Office Works and that is to one very lucky and also very smart little kid who can answer our quiz.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if you're a kid listening, you want a thousand bucks or back to school? Thirteen one oh six five calls on the pickup. Heye, listen, we are looking after you. If you're a kid listening or a parent, back to school's coming up real quick, very soon.
Speaker 4: Laurie, you know better than anyone. You've got two kids.
Speaker 3: I have two kids, but they're not in school. They're only in preschool, so they're not going back.
Speaker 2: Mitchie always say what someone has kids unless they're of school age, the whole school.
Speaker 5: I'm a different generation to you. Someone's got kids. I assume they're all doing this thing.
Speaker 2: Everyone.
Speaker 5: Yeah, anyway, listen, we know kids listening are going back to school. That's why we are doing this.
Speaker 4: Yes, we have a.
Speaker 5: Thousand dollars cash up for grabs, all thanks to Office Works.
Speaker 4: If you want it.
Speaker 5: Thirteen one oh six five we're gonna quiz the kids of Australia with three very simple questions.
Speaker 2: I'm loving this, Like if kids are calling out, they're answering. It's the smartest ones.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 3: If you think you've got a really smart kid, or you're a kid listening and you think you're particularly good at answering trivia questions, which I am not.
Speaker 2: That's who we want to hear from.
Speaker 4: Should we Should we meet today's contestant girls?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, let's go today playing and joining the pick up.
Speaker 7: She just finished here four, knows all the flags for countries around the world and.
Speaker 1: Loves the boogie.
Speaker 4: Please welcome to the pick up.
Speaker 2: Levea oo via kind of Veya?
Speaker 3: Okay, let us know what is your favorite subject at school?
Speaker 1: Geography?
Speaker 3: Oh? Guy, I reckon that's going to come in handy to one of these questions.
Speaker 4: Are you feeling nervous? Levea for the thousand bucks?
Speaker 1: Kind yeah?
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, let's let's start the quiz.
Speaker 5: Let's jump right in with question number one, Nevea, how many legs does an octopus have?
Speaker 1: Hey?
Speaker 2: Oh, she's good, She's very good.
Speaker 4: She's good.
Speaker 2: All right, we've got one off the rank not even any hesitation.
Speaker 6: Okay, Neveah, Well, you said you were good at geography, so I'm gonna put you to the test.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, what continent is Kenya in?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: She's much That was good.
Speaker 4: Geographies are bread and butter. She's a pro.
Speaker 2: Let's hope that you're good at colors.
Speaker 3: What color do you get if you mix red and blue together?
Speaker 8: Purple?
Speaker 4: God?
Speaker 2: We know, too easy? Do your child?
Speaker 3: What a thousand dollars to spend at office works?
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, thank you so much, so exciting.
Speaker 2: What are you going to spend.
Speaker 1: I think I'm going to spend it on stationary for school.
Speaker 2: That's very sensible.
Speaker 3: Also, I reckon you should do a detour down the loly Islet's at the back of office works. They sell it in bulk. Could be nice to throw a few of those in the cart as well.
Speaker 8: Yeah, thank you so much.
Speaker 5: No waries all thanks to office Works who won't be beaten on back to school prices with their price beat guarantee exclusions apply. See the website for details. Hey, another thousand dollars cash up for grabs tomorrow.
Speaker 3: I'm loving doing this every day. Yeah, there was a corpor tomorrow. Okay, coming up. I want to know, do you think that if if you and your partner happily married or you're in a long term relationship and you start sleeping in separate beds, is that kind of an indication of the beginning of the end? Asking for a friend, not for.
Speaker 4: Me, I swear, all right, I know where this is going. Yeah, me too, all right, coming right up next on the pickup.
Speaker 2: Okay, I need to poll the country on this one. You need to call me, let me know.
Speaker 3: Thirteen one oh six five do you think that sleeping in separate beds to your partner is or indicates the beginning of the end?
Speaker 4: I got big feelings on this.
Speaker 2: I think I'm frightened to hear them much.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 3: The reason for this is recently, I like, during our holiday break, I had pneumonia, and you guys know, I've been coughing a lot, like on off air, I have this real cough, and especially when I was really sick, and in the depths of it, my beautiful husband, Maddie Jay he decided that maybe I was keeping him up a little bit too much during the night, which was fair at the.
Speaker 2: Start, totally totally fair, totally fair. He was like, babe, you're really, really sick.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna go and I'm gonna grab some of the stuff and I'll sleep downstairs tonight. You don't mind if I sleep downstairs. So that was about three weeks ago, and then slowly he's sleeping downstairs. Has progressed to he took his toilet trees downstairs. He took his favorite pillow downstairs. Oh no, he took some linen downstairs.
Speaker 2: He's moved.
Speaker 3: He's got a wardrobe. I haven't seen it for a week. No, okay, it's gotten to the point now where I'm pretty much better. Like I'm very very close to being better. I'm definitely not contagious. We could be sleeping in the same bed. And last night I said to him, like, hey, honey, when do you think you're gonna come back to sleep in our bed together? And I was expecting him to say tonight or tomorrow night, like I was expecting kind of an immediate answer, and he goes, whoa, It's like it's really nice down there. I don't I don't get woken up, but all during the night I've I'm getting really deep sleep. I like to get up in the morning and go for a run and usually that wakes you up, Like, do you think it's a problem if I stayed down there a bit longer? Now I have gotten the impression that a little bit longer might be a bit longer than what I would like, because I think it's quite important for couples to sleep in the same bed together, like I need and would like him to be next to me, But.
Speaker 2: I think he wants to stay downstairs. And do you think that this?
Speaker 3: Does this mean that there's something wrong or is this just a new chapter in our relationship now? I.
Speaker 2: Laura, I get what you're saying.
Speaker 6: I get that you want to be in the same bed, but I think there's more to this one. I'm sure Matt wants to be in the same bed with you too, but I think it's more like it's further away from the kid's bedroom so he doesn't have to do those get ups in the middle of the night. That's what it is. But all jokes are signed. I don't think it's the worst thing to sleep into separate beds, Like, there's nothing worse than if you are getting a bad night sleep, especially if one of you coughin your guts up the whole night.
Speaker 3: I think it's pretty normal. I think it's offensive. I'm like, how are we here already?
Speaker 2: Like at what?
Speaker 3: I am offended that you want to move away from me?
Speaker 2: And yes I was sick, but care for me, love me, I need you. And now he's remember you're dollying on his face. Why are you offended? But he's offended? I mean you should have been turned on by this, you know, for better orf or worse.
Speaker 3: I just think that's a discussion, right, It's not just you just don't migrate downstairs to a different bedroom. Surely you have a discussion first, and you both have to be on the same page.
Speaker 5: No, I think it's the death of a relationship. I think if you're sleeping in separate bits, you haven't even been married.
Speaker 4: You've been married? What just a year?
Speaker 2: Just a year?
Speaker 4: That's done. The marriage is done.
Speaker 5: No, No, in my eyes, you have I'm sorry, but you and Mattie j Laura, that is really that's I think that's really sad. The reason you want to be with someone your whole life so you can share these intimate moments.
Speaker 4: What vow did you make at the wedding? Through sickness and in health? And in health?
Speaker 3: Remind him the better or worse, better or for worse, and then I'll coff in his mouth say why don't you love me more?
Speaker 4: Maybe no, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Okay, part of me I was okay with it at the start, and now I feel offended. And I want to know, what do you guys think? Do you think that this is the beginning of the end.
Speaker 4: Like a snappole? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Absolutely, all right, listen, maybe couples that are living like this, because many do.
Speaker 4: Thirteen one oh sixty five. Let us know.
Speaker 5: Britta and I clearly have our opinions, but let's see what the country thinks next.
Speaker 4: On the pickup, we're having.
Speaker 6: A pretty heated discussion here on potentially if Laura's marriage to husband Matty Jay has ended or is on its way to ending. Laura and Maddie are sleeping in separate rooms. Now, that's because Laura was sick, and it's a bit on the fence on is this the beginning of the end?
Speaker 3: Okay, it's not the beginning of the end. It's just had some flow on effect. And originally there was a reason why matt was sleeping in a different bedroom, but now I think he's just enjoying it. Because you know, he says he gets better sleep there, which I understand, but I like to be cuddled through the night.
Speaker 4: And I want to fam you this pathetic gripping love. It's over. It's over, Mitch.
Speaker 3: It isn't okay, it isn't. And I know what you think. It is not an indication that there is anything wrong in a relationship. And there are so many people. My grandparents married seventy two years, deeply in love, Brest in peace, Papa, but they slept in different rooms for the last fifty years.
Speaker 5: So like, I'm also so single, So who am I to even true even jump in.
Speaker 4: So that's what we're doing. We're polling the nation.
Speaker 5: We want to we want to see where the country stands on whether or not Laura and Maddie Jay's relationship is over. Is it okay to sleep in the same bed? Tash on thirteen one or sixty five? Where do you stand?
Speaker 8: I think you should sleep in the same bed. I think sleeping in different beds can sometimes lead to lack of intimacy. And also, if you're at work all day and you don't see your partner, you just go home, cook dinner or do whatever, and then you go off to different bedrooms. That can also put a strain on the relationships in that sense as well. You're not with each other as much.
Speaker 2: And no, no, you're unconscious anyways. Do you have kids? Do you have any kids?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 8: I don't have kids.
Speaker 3: Okay, I have two kids, and I feel like that that has already the lack of intimacy is already there, and I blame them, but I love them dearly, but it's not happening anyway.
Speaker 5: Okay, that's one vote to start at the end. Oh yeah, simone thirteen, one oh sixty five. What's your opinion on sleeping in separate beds?
Speaker 1: But no, no, no, if you're married, you married, you're not house mate.
Speaker 3: Okay, smart, Wait wait, wait, I have a question, Tom, And what if your partner snores really bad?
Speaker 2: Yeah, for one or.
Speaker 7: Two nights, that's fine, but then back in the bed or get out.
Speaker 5: Let's get a boy's perspective. Sometimes it's nice to get a different gender's view on this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very true, Luke.
Speaker 4: Hey, what's your stance on this? Can Laura and Maddie survive separate beds?
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally they can.
Speaker 7: I'm all for this, Like I've been with my boyfriend for years, and I am an insomniac, so I really struggle with a sleep in general. Bestides sleeping in separate beds like a couple of years ago, and it's just saved their relationship.
Speaker 1: Perfect.
Speaker 3: Okay, Wait, Luke, I need to know more about this. Do you find has it changed anything about how much you love each other or the intimacy or how excited you are to see each other at the end of the day.
Speaker 1: No, that's a really it kills like concepts. There's one part of a relationship and like sure, like it's nice to kind of cuddle before going to bed, and like obviously you know, fun times in the same bed, but like like when it comes to sleep, we just go our separate ways and then we see each other in the morning and it's beautiful.
Speaker 3: Do you know, maybe Luke is doing this in the superior way. Maybe this is a man thing you think. I mean, Matt thinks that this is fine. Luke thinks this is fine, and every single woman thinks it's a problem except for you, brit You seem to be okay with it.
Speaker 2: No, I think it's fine.
Speaker 6: I know a couple they've been married for like forty or forty five years that not only sleep in separate rooms, but they sleep in separate houses in the same street.
Speaker 2: They live their life.
Speaker 6: Together, they have dinner together, they do everything, and they go to their separate house.
Speaker 3: Do you know what this also means. It means separate wardrobes, it means separate bathrooms. I think that this is the elite way of living with your partner.
Speaker 4: Oh, you guys, this is sad, so high. That's how it'd all be doing it. All right, let's go, let's get out of here.
Speaker 2: See you guys. Bye.