Speaker 1: Hello.
Speaker 2: My name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud yr the Order Kerney Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money, She's on the Money.
Speaker 4: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money podcasts for millennials who want financial freedom. My name is Beck Syed and Victoria Divine is with us as ever?
Speaker 1: With us as ever? Like do you mean always? Or is with us as ever?
Speaker 4: I mean literally forever? We cannot get rid of her?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, sorry, I mean I'm here to stay. I'm here to stay. Sorry, that's actually great for me. Yeah, well, Beck, today's deep dive is one that we have all experienced and I can honestly say that sadly, but we're talking about buyers remorse. It is an oh so common problem that we actually hear about all the time in the community. Maybe you got carried away in the sales over Christmas, maybe you splurched a little bit on a big item that you weren't planning on buying. But we all know that super icky feeling of regret or anxiety of buyers remorse. Have you experienced this?
Speaker 4: Beg yes, Oh my goodness, that is all too relatable. I think I get buyers remorse all the time, even if I just buy one too many groceries or something, so I can definitely relate to this.
Speaker 1: It's going to be very exciting episode. I had buyers from LS on the weekend.
Speaker 4: What did you buy?
Speaker 1: I went to buy this is so niche, but not niche. We have moved recently and I needed to buy a new couch, so that was a planned purchase, like we had budgeted for it. It all made sense, Like we went down to the shop that you know we planned to get the couch from, got the couch, but on the couch in the display were two white pillows and a sage green pillows that looked elite aali getcha, Yeah, And like they were like those big puffy linen ones and I was like, oh, that looks so chic and then yeah, I gotta get it. Yeah, but they were like one hundred dollars each. Oh my, so like the cushions were so expensive. But then in my head at the time, I was like, well, the couch is already really expensive. That looks really good, Like it's another three hundred dollars, sure, no worries. And I said, oh, can we have the pillows too? And he was like, oh, yeah, they've just come in there so nice. And I was like, yeah, yeah, that's so nice, like ten out of ten and you know, then he gave us free delivery and stuff and it was really nice, like a bit of a money in there. But then then I was like did I need the pillows? Did I need a d And then I stayed awake at night being like this, this is not who you are, Victoria. You don't just impulse by cushions.
Speaker 4: What have you become? I kind of support that. I thought it would be worse, to be honest, but like.
Speaker 1: One hundred dollars for a cushion? Is that where we're at in life?
Speaker 4: I personally, I've never paid one hundred dollars for.
Speaker 1: I'm not even sure what they're stuffed with at this point. I just saw them and was like, ten out of ten, I'm going to purchase that. It could have been an IKEA cushion for starting is something more expensive, and I didn't even try to understand the product before purchase.
Speaker 4: So they're extremely extremely.
Speaker 1: I'll show you later, I'll show you later, so aesthetic, you know.
Speaker 4: I can't wait. I can't wait. That sounds like a classic case of buyers remorse. I reckon and I remember last year we did an episode on spending guilt and spending addiction we did.
Speaker 1: I feel like those were super juicy, really relatable episodes that people loved listening to. Maybe this is a natural extension of that.
Speaker 4: Maybe on today's show, we are going to take a look at Bier's remorse and share your stories around those times that you have regretted a purchase, and hopefully VID can shed some light, give us some advice.
Speaker 1: I feel like I've got a heap of advice, But in this circumstance, given I so recently experienced buyers remorse, is this a situation where, like you know, you're getting unsolicited advice from somebody who doesn't actually know what they're talking about. Is that what actually is happening here? Is that like when you, you know, are down the street and you see someone with a baby, and then you see some other person who clearly has never had kids giving advice and people like what the heck? Like, why are we in this situation? Is that what people are thinking now? They're like, Victoria, you literally had buyers remorse on the weekend, and now you're trying to tell us to not get it. No, I think, if anything, you will have a Christy is rough.
Speaker 4: I don't think so, because I need to hear advice from someone who's experienced buyers.
Speaker 1: Remorse, yeah, and doesn't want to do it again.
Speaker 4: Doesn't want to do it again, Maybe hasn't done it again since not yet, not yet, since today you had time? No, well exactly had time since the way, It's not impossible. Haven't been shopping, It's not impossible for you to experience it again. No, I'm I feel like you're in a good spot to give advice. Let's do it. Can you start by divining what buyers remorse is?
Speaker 1: So buyers remorse from my perspective, is that Ikey feeling of regret or panic or anxiety that happens after you make a purchase. It could be over an expensive, unplanned purchase, but it can also be over small stuff like buying your lunch when maybe you had something packed, or getting a coffee when you made a news resolution to not have coffee that year. It literally could be anything. It's when you spend money and then you feel guilty and wish you hadn't spent that money. And I think that that's a really important thing to talk about because it could be on big things or it could be on small things. I mean, mine feels like it was on really big things, like cushions. Is that big? I don't know they're big cushions, but I feel like I think that's big.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I feel like sometimes buyers remorse can be actually quite helpful because you might go, oh my gosh, I impose purchase this big thing. I'm going to take it back. I don't actually need it. But it can also be a massive hindrance because if you're trying to budget and cash flow and treat yourself, and you know, have a very healthy budget, we don't want to be having buyers remorse when you are actually treating yourself, even if it is in budget, it's a purpose exactly. We need to talk about healthy boundaries of buyers remorse today as well.
Speaker 4: Gosh, that makes so much sense me. I guess my next question is, is there a difference between how we feel, for example, if we have been impulsive or not done our research versus if the product or service itself is not what we wanted or thought it was.
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely, Beck, And they call that process to regret or outcome regret, and those true things are actually quite different. So outcome regret is where you regret the experience from your purchase outcome, and it's usually treated when you get that feeling that the product wasn't actually what you wanted. And it can happen when you choose one alternative over another, like you might be in the shops and it might be Peeler and you're picking between, you know, the blue one and the gray one, and they both have different features, and then you pick the gray one, and then you regret it because you really wish you got the blue one, because you just should have gone with what you knew, not this fandangle new one that doesn't do what you thought it was going to do, and you thought you were investing, but it doesn't make sense, and you genuinely feel like you've picked the wrong option, even though in the moment you were like, oh, but I you know, I did a little pros and cons list, but it's just not what you thought it was gonna be, and the actual utility of that item is less than what the perceived utility was. And I feel like the pill is a good example because that's one that's happened to me where I should have just bought the tiny ninety cent plastic pill out coals, but I bought this fancy boy one and now it's like the worst thing in the entire world. But it was like fifteen bucks for a piler and I'm committed to it, So are you relatable? It just didn't meet my expectations, you know. On the flip side to that is what's called process regret, and that's why you blame yourself for having a faulty purchase process. So, for example, when you wish you'd put in more effort to making a purchase decision, like actually maybe going online and buying a green cushion if that's what you wanted. Victoria or when you wish that you had made less effort to obtain the desired results, Like I just took too much time and energy and effort and it just wasn't what you expected. So I feel like these are two different scenarios that are important for us to understand because they actually, like I mean, the outcome, the feeling is similar, but they actually come from different places.
Speaker 4: Right, Okay, that makes so much sense and it's all too relatable and embarrassingly So what.
Speaker 1: You bought a piller and a set of cushions so you didn't need to.
Speaker 4: No, I bought a peeler.
Speaker 1: You bought a peeler three dollars? What thirty dollars? Pieler? It was three dollars versus one dollar?
Speaker 4: And I regretted it all day?
Speaker 1: So did you actually? I feel like the peeler is a thing, like all these new fandangled peelers, Like it looks bougie. But then I'm just like, give me the one that my mum had from I know, I need me.
Speaker 4: Did you the top peel or the side peel? Which one do you go for?
Speaker 1: I don't know? What are you pealing? Is the question?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Are you peeling? An apple paring a potato. No, I had the other peel potatoes anymore, why bother? I heard that the nutrients were in there, and I believe we called them smashed potatoes now instead of mashed potatoes exactly. Anyway, moving on, we need to talk about regret.
Speaker 4: Okay, So what I want to know is, how about when we fall out of step with our values?
Speaker 1: I talk about values all the time. So this is a really good I guess addition beck and one hundred percent. That is a big thing at play. And psychologically, it's actually called cognitive dissonance. So it is a feeling of psychological distress that happens when you're at odds with your own thoughts or your own values. And often these things can happen from peer pressure, so you might you know, I'm going to use this example, and I'm sorry, Frank Green, but we hear now, Frank Green. Water bottles, I feel like are a cult. They are a cult. I am in the cult. I'm not saying I'm not in the cult.
Speaker 4: Are you allowed to say that?
Speaker 1: I don't know, but I have one and it is now a cult and I love it. I actually have a couple of them, and I really like it. But did I need a sixty dollars drink? Probably not, because my system and one that I got fifty percent off at Cole's did the job the vessel exactly. But I got influenced by TikTok and every Man and his Dog talking about the cup holders of the Frank Green drink bottle, which, by the way, ultimate flex. My Frank Green fits in my cup holder in my car.
Speaker 4: Oh, that is very impressible.
Speaker 1: That's the fanciest thing I can I can talk about today. But I got influenced. I bought a Frank Green drink bottle and then I was like, what am I doing? This is a sixty dollars drink bottle that I absolutely didn't need. It isn't in line with my values because I do feel like there's a waste of money. Do I like it now?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: But that's not the point. But that's cognitive dissonance at play, where if you'd asked me personally, you know, not taking into consideration the peer pressure aspect or the influence aspect that happened there, VD, would you have spent sixty bucks on a drink bottle? No, I'll drink out of my free promotional one that I got five years ago at a bank and finance event. Thanks Scoop, your had a good time. Have a little sip, yeah, Do I drink out of the fact, absolutely, so, like was this something I needed? Probably not. Is it in line with what I believe my values are? Absolutely not? But you know what, I was influenced, So I think that's what created that dissonance for me where I was like, oh, oh, we're here, and I mean now I have two so maybe it is now in line with my values. But my values of change and yours can change. True, beg you just need to be fluid about it. But I think it's important to talk about the fact that sometimes you'll make a purchase and then you'll go, that isn't me, That isn't who I am. But I actually do think it's important to break that down at the time instead of being like, oh, that's not who I am, full stop, Like, well, what led you to that purchase? What made you think that that was a good idea? Because often if you can identify that, it stops it happening in the future or enables you to understand that maybe your values are changing, or maybe something is different about the way that your past values are in acting with your current values. So I think that's important as well. So we won't go on and on about that, but I do think it's important to understand where these things come from, not just wipe them to the side and say, oh whatever, I just won't do it again.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that actually makes a lot of sense. First of all, we need to get you off TikTok baby girl.
Speaker 1: Oh, I love TikTok and I she addicted. She's addicted.
Speaker 4: So after the break we will hear community stories of buyers regret. But first, what are some triggers.
Speaker 1: Expensive purchases, the ones that are like really Spano. So, expensive purchases often result in both outcome regret and process regret because they involve all three cognitive dissonance elements. And these three cognitive dissonance elements, which was an absolute mouthful. I'm glad I wrote that down effort, responsibility, and commitment, because beck the more expensive something is, the more unlikely it is that you buy it without any thought or effort. Usually, and expensive things do make you compare like alternatives and do your pros and con lists, and that usually results in a bit of a process regret if you make the wrong decision. I mean, the Peeler example makes sense here. I mean it wasn't a super expensive example, but let's pretend it was the couch I purchased on the weekend. Imagine if I'd done all of my research and I had picked the couch I want, which I did, and it's stunning and I really like it, and I had found it cheaper online. But by buying it online it meant that I didn't get to sit in at first, which to me was actually really important. I didn't want to buy a couch online because if it's uncomfortable, like, what are we going to do? So I saw it in person, I know it's comfortable. Money win. But what if I'd found it online much cheaper, and then I'd purchased it and then I got it and it wasn't comfortable. That would have taken me down the process of process regret because I'm went, oh my god, I did all my research and I found it the cheapest and then I hated it. Does that make sense? And then I was really annoyed because I'd done all this research and it does look stunning. But I guess the ultimate outcome for me, and I don't know about everybody else, but it's not actually esthetics with the couch. It's whether I can snuggle up on it and watch season two of Y Lotus.
Speaker 4: You know, oh absolutely? Do you feel like you had both though ascetics.
Speaker 1: And kenor lost dos? I mean it hasn't been delivered yet. Studying free delivery means it's not going to come the next day, but that is okay. Beggars shan't be choosing no no, no no. You get what you get and you don't get upset exactly. But I feel like they might also give you outcome regret as well, because you might have raised your expectations depending on the money that you paid for it or even saved for it. So you know, another example of thesis, and I'm going to use the couch as a good example here. Imagine if I was buying a ten thousand dollar couch. Well I did not do that, but I then found it online for four thousand dollars, like money win, that's a big discount. I'm so excited because this is a really good quality couch. So my expectations are up here because it's a ten thousand dollar couch. Back it comes the quality is absolutely not what I expected. But if the full value price of that couch had been four grand, maybe I would have been okay with it. But I think it's important to understand that sometimes there's actually a disconnect, even when it might be what you paid, but also it can be the discount of it. Like you find a cute outfit online, you're like, oh my gosh, it's designer and it's like seventy percent off. Then it comes and you're a bit disappointed. You created this unrealistic expectation in your head that it was going to be better because it was technically meant to be worth more.
Speaker 4: Yeah, does that makes sense so much?
Speaker 1: Where it might be like a white T shirt and you're like, oh my god, but it's like Alexander Wang, this is so fancy, Like I'm going to buy this when it comes, it just doesn't fit the same way a good old Trusty came up one Does you know it doesn't hit doesn't hit a right. So I think it's important to talk about these things as well, because it goes both ways, Like you could spend heaps of money on it, but also there's this disconnect between people assuming that if they're getting a massive discount on something, the quality must be lat yes, so I think it's sense. Yeah, And then you might feel a little bit more guilty because you're like, I got it on sale and I shopped around, and like, I should love this more because it's heaps, and I just think that that is ridiculous as well.
Speaker 4: Now, what about impulse purchases.
Speaker 1: Yes, I do love a good impulse purchase. As a diagnosed AHD individual or what we call in our community a neurospicy person, I'm so good at impulse purchases. So good is your.
Speaker 4: Area of specialty, it's my area of expertise, expertise. If you want an impulse purchase, let me know I can make one for you. But from my experience, a few of the biggest triggers for me are social media and fear of missing out. It doesn't mean that I am actually going to miss out. I just have decided in my head that I'm probably going to miss out if I don't get this thing, and other factors that hijack our usual buying process. So when I talk about that, I'm not just talking about Oh, this only impacts people with ADHD. This impacts absolutely everybody. But when you are somebody who is a bit neurodiverse. These things are usually on steroids. They usually just jacked up a lot. More So, if you're an impulse purchase and you don't have any type of neurodivergence, think about that but being ten times worse if you are on some kind of neurodivergence spectrum. So it can get completely out of control. And I think it's really important to acknowledge because neuros blastiness comes in lots of different levels. And sometimes you got the like mango lime one. Sometimes you got the Habernero chili, you know in the bottle that has the skull on it completely dironically, those would be big impulse bies for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe we're by neurospisy beck. Are you a bit of an impulse purchaser. Is that something that you lean towards or are you a little bit more stoic in your purchase power?
Speaker 4: I wish I was. I feel like I'm strictly impulse by because I know.
Speaker 1: Strictly impulse by. I like that there's some kind of rule for this, like strictly just an impulse purchaser.
Speaker 4: I don't think too much.
Speaker 1: Time energy research that we don't do that.
Speaker 4: My theory getting get out. I like to say, analysis is paralysis. Yes, and sometimes you yeah, yeah, sometimes it would help. But just the other day, for instance, I do want you to know I need to preface this by saying I am perpetually broke. I just got paid for myself a brand new fit Bit because you did not need I didn't need a fit Bit because I just couldn't be bothered looking for my old one, is all it was.
Speaker 1: It's not that I need to be helping you with your budget and you disrespecting that entire process.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we do meeting a.
Speaker 1: Little bit later. Yeah, okay, please in't fire me. I no, you won't ever get fired. You won't ever get fired. To make that not for that, that's right? Fine, But yes, so I guess to answer your question.
Speaker 4: Unfortunately, I am only an impulse by because if I think too much about something, then the normal logical side will kick in and be like, hey, that's you. Actually, do you.
Speaker 1: Put any time between you and your purchases, like a couple of hours or a day or you no?
Speaker 4: Less go Well, the only time that goes between me and my purchase is that brief few minutes of waiting in the self checkout line.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, that sounds really time. Yeah. Look, I'm going to go with not asking you for advice on impulse spending. At this point.
Speaker 4: My advice is still a baby girl.
Speaker 1: My advice is don't do a baby girl. Put twenty four hours between you and your purchase. I'm going to let you still have the fit bit okay, but I'm going to make you leave JB hi fi and come back tomorrow and get it if you're still thinking about it. And I think that a lot of the time when it comes to impulse purchasing, you actually might. I don't know if this will work for you, because different things work for different people. But often if I say no, you can't have it, Beck, let's go home and think about it, You'll be like, but I know I want it, Please let me have it, Like I'm going to take it home today. But if I said, hey, Beck, actually let's just put twenty four hours between it one day, one day, that's it. You can have it tomorrow, no questions asked, you're more likely to go all right, that sounds like a good deal, as opposed to oh, Beck, you probably don't need it. I'm going to try and talk about I'm not going to try and talk you out of any purchase because that is not my place. It is not my place to tell you how to spend your money. My place is educating you on how to make the best decision for you, and sometimes you need a little bit of time. So let's step back to when you purchase your fitbit. If I said to you, hey, Beck, and we were there shopping together, which we were not, I love it. I think that fit bits so sick. How about we just pick it up tomorrow, Like, let's come back tomorrow. Let's just make sure that you're getting the best deal on this, Like maybe we can look it up online, or maybe we can, you know, have a thing about it. We might pop past Target or something see if they've got it, because you know it might be cheaper. Like let's have a look. You're less likely to say no, I still want it if the idea of still obtaining that item is on the table. Yeah, does that make sense? Like if I say not beg you can have it, but tomorrow, how would you respond to that?
Speaker 4: I feel like that would kind of help the urge to just immediately buy it right this second and I feel like I would firstly maybe look for my old one that is almost the exact same model that works perfectly. But also I would think I can't be bothered going back to the shops. Yeah, and wouldn't even if not buying it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I think it's important because you know, I am an impulse purchaser. I think that is very widely known. It's why I have the banking structure that I have to you know, disable that in a way. But then also I think this concept of no, you can have it, but you can just get it tomorrow makes me feel like I don't have fomo. And I think the second I say that you can't have it, you go, well, I've got fomo. Now I really want it. I want it more now you said I can't have it. So I think this idea of putting twenty four hours between you and your spending is really really helpful because it goes from twenty four hours and then you're like, oh, I'm busy this afternoon. Maybe I'll just pick it up on the weekend, and it just gets pushed out and pushed out, and then that sense of urgency is often lost along that journey, and then you go, oh, you know, I don't even need that whatever. I've moved on to this next new thing that I'm thinking about, and that that's good, Like that's a great outcome. But then if you're still obsessed with the fitbit in twenty four hours or you know, the next week, can we get it? Then it's in line with your values. Obviously you want it. As I said, it's not my position to tell you not to spend on things. I think it's just being a little bit more mindful about it. And as somebody with ADHD, being mindful is actually very hard. Being mindful is actually something that you have to consistently work on. And if you say, oh, be more mindful with your purchasers, I'll be like, oh, so should I look at the pink and the blue one? Is that what you mean? Like that?
Speaker 4: Should I consider more?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Should I consider more? What do you mean? I should just get crayons and texters not just crayons.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: I think it's important that you understand what triggers you, but then also what kind of strategies work for you best. It's kind of like working with toddlers. It's kind of like that distract technique. It's like you're not gonna yell at them and be like, get off the table. You're not supposed to be on the table, because they'll just be like okay, probably going to do it again, be like, oh, should you be on the time? What are you trying to achieve here? Oh I'm trying to pretend I'm on a boat. Oh well, how about we make this chair a boat? And like it's kind of lame when you think about it, but how can you best distract yourself in a way that you don't feel like you're missing out? Because if I take that away from you immediately we feel like we're missing out. And that's where money becomes something that you continue to stick your head in the sand about.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that is such solid advice. I will actually try that technique.
Speaker 1: I'm going to make you text me next time you want to do an impulse purchase and I'll be like, let's get it to morow Beck and you'll be like yeah, see, I'll be like I'll drive you. I'll literally drive you if you want it tomorrow and you'll be like yeah, sick. And then next time I'll be like, you wryt to go get that fit bit and you'll be like, what we let's hope so what bit, Oh, I want to go to the pub and get a soda water because I'm back.
Speaker 4: One hundred percent, We'll do that instead spend all our money at the pub. So we've established that I have absolutely impulse control.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Great, and it gets me thinking. We've heard about after pay, have you? That's crazy? I know that's a new thing, right, No, it's not. It's really taking the world by storm. It gives us an instant dopamine hit. We can't really afford something, but after Pa comes in and saves the day. What are your thoughts on after pay? Oh, that is a bad question to ask, bec. I have literally done entire podcasts on this. I think after pay look stepping back as business, what a genius business.
Speaker 1: That is so smart. But from the consumer perspective, as somebody who wants you to be financially empowered, I feel like it takes away a little bit of that empowerment because, as you said before, it enables us to have that dopamine hit sooner. So you want a dress for this weekend, or you want a new shirt, or whatever it is, you're really excited about it, you go shopping, you're like, oh, that's leads two hundred bucks, But actually, if I put it on after pay, it's only fifty bucks right now, and I get to wear it this weekend, and we justify our purchases more readily because we don't have to part with all of that money upfront. It puts a lot of time between that purchase that you make and having to repay that debt. And while that can actually be really good for some people, like I, have had messages from people who are like, I can't believe that you talk about it after pay or buy now pay later services like that. I use it for my budgeting, for my kids, for whatever else. And if that is the way that you are using a buy now, pay later service, all power to you, because that is honestly the responsible way of using it. From my perspective, that's quite intelligent of you. If you were using it to budget and you're like, all right, well, you know, I've allocated myself fifty bucks a week, and I really want this top. I'm actually going to be able to cash flow it. That's genius. That's not how I would use that service. That's not how most of my community use that service. That is not how most of the people I interact with use that service. They use it because it is an instant gratification tool. You can have that item or that thing right here and now, and we can worry about paying for it later. It is a reverse engineered layby lay by. Historically, and I feel like every man and his dog remembers the target toy sale in the middle of the year. I don't know if you remember it, but like I remember, yeah, yeah, I think it was like July and you go down and pick out some stuff for Christmas. Mum would put it on layby, and over a period of time you'd pay it off and then you get to pick up your lay by. I remember doing it for clothes as well, Like Mom would be like, all right, we're going to go lay by some clothes for next season or whatever it was. And it was a way of experiencing delayed gratification, which is actually really powerful when it comes to risk and reward. So if you have to delay gratification, you have more time, more patience, You're more likely to really value that item, You're more likely to really want it. If you put it on layby, You're going, I really want this and I'm willing to wait. Beck, let's talk about your fit bit again. If I said to you, okay, cool, we're gonna go down to Jbhi file or wherever you put your fit bit, we're gonna lay by it though. So it's gonna be laybyed for the next six weeks, and you're gonna pay a small portion off over the next six weeks every single week. Do you still want that item?
Speaker 4: I would not like that, probably not after the six weeks a new one would have come out.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, But also it puts you in a situation where you actually have to consider like is this an impulse purchase or something that I am saving up for? And it might be you genuinely going, I really need a new TV. Oh I'm so excited about this particular model or whatever you're getting, and you go down and you put it on labor and you pay it off over a period of time. You're so excited to upgrade, and that's that's perfect, that's what that service is for. But on a buy now, pay later, service, you're more likely to go and just buy a fit bit because that's what you wanted, and then next weekend you're like, oh, well, maybe I want an Apple Watch, like my mate's got an Apple Watch, and I was at the pub talking to them about that. You know, maybe I'll work towards that. And I just think it actually instills this idea that's stuff is worthless, like it's valued at less to us because it's more disposable now, And I think that that's actually not that positive. So if you are using it as a cash flow tool, literally, more power to you. I never could. I can't be trusted with it. But if you're not, I think it's important to have a look at how you might be using that service because often we will justify to ourselves that it is a smart service to use because you know budget and cash flow. But what are you purchasing on there? What are you actually using that for? Because I'm pretty sure the statistics say that people will spend forty percent more if they're putting it on buy now, pay later, as opposed to having to part with cash that's in their bank account.
Speaker 4: I'm not super shocked by that, to be honest. No, I feel like LABA is the way to go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Layby is the OG. We need to bring it back.
Speaker 4: So V how about the entire field of study of human and behavioral psychology to manipulate us to buy stuff.
Speaker 1: So you're manipulating yourself. Obviously, we've already covered that. That's fine, fomo, all of those things that we use ourselves to convince ourselves that we need something. But you know who's also good at convincing us that we need stuff? Marketing departments. They are so smart. It's literally why they are employed to make people buy more stuff. Otherwise, why would we have people to market things like I mean, the dude who sells sham wows really good at marketing, really good at marketing. He will send you like a free set of steak knives to make the deal even sweeter. And I know that that, you know, seems a bit lame, but there's science behind it to say that that is actually going to get people across the line when it comes to purchasing. So marketers know more about your interests more often than you do, which is terrifying, especially in the digital age of twenty twenty three. My husband, huh, saying husband, still, so novel works in this space, and genuinely it terrifies me sometimes to know the patterns of behavior and how that works and what particular people are following and what you might need and being able to predict things, and sometimes it can be really helpful, you know, like, for example, you're targeted advertising that pops up online when you've been looking at bikinis and you know, another company comes up and you're like, I've never seen that, but that's actually exactly what I'm looking for. Other companies might use it. So, for example, I know that banks do this. So if you have a search history of like crews or holiday or flights, or you're looking at accommodation, they will send you targeted advertising for their traveler cards because obviously you fall into this niche group of people who are probably going to travel overseas and need some type of travel card. That makes sense. But they happen to know more about your future needs than you do, and I find that quite terrifying. And they use data to stimulate demand essentially. So there are heaps of strategies and I studied it at UNI as well, but strategies like marketing scarcity and discounts and targeted advertisements like we've talked about it on the pod before putting something in your cart and quote forgetting about it and them sending you a discount code. It's not an accident, and while it's a money win for you, they're still getting the sale, and that's a strategy for them to get that sale. Remarketing is a really big one. You know, when you visit a certain website and then every single ad that you see for the next week is that website that you went to. That's actually a targeted strategy to send you back to that website to finish that purchase or buy more things. And they basically make you fulfill your desires by making a purchase, which is terrifying but really important for us to understand. And I think that it is so so important that we know what that looks like and how it works, so that when it comes up we can be like a sneaky sneaky from them instead of oh, you're right, I do need that thing. So I think it's just again about education, right. I've always thought, well, very thoughtful that these it's so kind to them more erectly to me.
Speaker 4: Thank you for just figuring out.
Speaker 1: Exactly what they want your money.
Speaker 4: I see, I see so not thoughtful, very scary, Yes bad, I don't think.
Speaker 1: It's scary all bad And I think that there's this cloud of oh my gosh, my daughter is being compromised, Like they don't care about who Beck is. They actually just care about the pattern and serve you things that might make sense to that business to get more money. Like I don't think it's as creepy as people seem to think it is.
Speaker 4: But also it's a little bit creepy. Hey, yeah, a little bit. So they're not like watching me on the toilet, but they just want my money. No, no, that's niche. But no, so we are all social creatures. Let's talk a little bit about interpersonal influence.
Speaker 1: That's a bit of interpersonal influence is a good one actually to talk about here. And interpersonal influence is basically the degree to which others influence your decisions. And I think this is very important me here to point out that being independent in decision making is actually a skill that needs to sometimes be taught. Like you need to go, oh, I need to stop asking other people for their opinions on this, because I, like, I don't actually need someone else's opinion on a purchase I'm making. I just need to make sure it makes me feel like my best self, not what Beck thinks about my new top, if that makes sense. But the more susceptible you are to interpersonal influence, the more the chances are that you're actually going to suffer from post to purchase regret, so looping back, and it actually includes two different dimensions. So if we talk about informational influence, that's, for example, when you align on your tech friend who says, oh, this laptop's pretty sick. You know it's got this feature in this feature, and you know, I personally have been influenced by this before, where I'm like, I don't know the first thing about laptops, but someone told me that the surfaces were good, and then I asked somebody else and they said, oh, we're good. So I made purchase literally based on my tech friend's opinions of a certain product. But then normative influence on the flip side is how your purchase decisions are influenced just to maintain your image, which is kind of the keeping up with the Jones's side of things. And I think that that is really important because that doesn't serve you in any way, shape or form. And we've talked about it on the Pod before, but I think this is a really fun stat to throw in here beck And it's about the likelihood of people going broke. So there was research done a while ago in the US and they found and we talked about it last week, but the people most likely to go broke are the people who live next door to lotto winners. And we're not talking about like multi million dollar lotto winners, because if that's the case, often the person who wins moves out of that suburb. We're talking not enough to move out of the suburb, but enough money to change your lifestyle, maybe put a boat in the driveway, or some new cars, or to always be seen in new fashion. And that is normative influence, where the people around you might have elevated their expenses and therefore you try and keep up with it as well, even though that's maybe not aligned to your values or your goals or your income.
Speaker 4: Right. That is a very shocking fact, isn't it.
Speaker 1: It's terrifying, isn't it?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: And who would have Like, if I'd said to you, who's the most likely to go broke? You wouldn't have said, oh, yeah, the neighbor of someone who's just won a whole heap of money. Like, it's just not what comes into my mind, viz.
Speaker 4: That why my mouth is absolutely watering looking at your friend green water bottle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course it is, because that's normative influence. I mean, it's not the Lotto winner thing. It's just a sixty dollars drink bottle that I still can't comprehend why they're so expensive. But that's yeah, normative influence because your decision making about wanting a new drink bottle.
Speaker 4: I e.
Speaker 1: My drink bottle has been based off the fact that you're seeing a really, really attractive person with one. How about we go to a break because after I have a whole heap more to talk about when it comes to buyers Remorse on the show, and I really want to get to the community experiences.
Speaker 4: What do you say, Yeah, let's do it. I need to go buy a frank green water bottle.
Speaker 1: So they are there.
Speaker 4: We are back and talking about buyers Remorse on the show today. So v we asked the community about their experiences with buyers Remorse and what did they have to say?
Speaker 1: They had lot to say. I have a select few things that I'm going to share with you because I had to whittle it down to like five or six because there were a lot, a lot, a lot of responses. So let's start with Rosie. I really like the name Rosie, and she said. I rented a new apartment. I went to Kmart and went absolutely crazy on super unnecessary things relatable instead of moving in and seeing what I needed. As time went by, I absolutely binged a bunch of stuff which I convinced myself I needed. I spent one hundred and seventy five dollars on plants, and I now regret that because fast forward ten months and they are all dead because I'm not a very good plant. Oh no, I feel like that's super relatable. I did that, Oh absolutely that. I bought a really nice monsterra plant, And now Jess has my monsterra plant at her house, trying to rehabilitate it because I basically murdered it. Oh no, Yeah, she says she'll give it back, but I'm not sure if she will because I don't know if I trusted. Yeah, yeah, we will get there. Georgia says buying a kindle. I wanted to be a reader so bad, but I'm not so. I thought buying a kindle will make me read, but it just sits there and it collects dust classic. That's good. I love the concept of a kindle, but as somebody who only ever seldom reads, like I just there's no point me having one, Like I get through maybe two or three books for pleasure each year, and like it just it's not worth the money. No, head on down to library, I reckon.
Speaker 4: Yes, or an audiobook might be nice.
Speaker 1: And it was good for someone who gets through heaps of books. Yes, that's genius, really good product.
Speaker 4: Georgia should have maybe bought a book.
Speaker 1: Georgia maybe should have just come to the conclusion that Georgia doesn't read. And that's okay, that's okay, that's very judgment all right, Katie says, I regret buying a four hundred and fifty dollars mattress rather than investing in a good one. It was the biggest waste of money. My bead sucks. And now I can't justify the money because I already own a mattress.
Speaker 4: But that that makes it makes sense.
Speaker 1: I feel like that's an interesting concept because that's like being tight on something that you should have spent money, but now you spent too much money on it to go and invest in something more because you've already spent for aner and fifty dollars and like that feels like putting it down the drain. Maybe you could buy like a nice mattress stoper or something, and yeah, you.
Speaker 4: Can always save anything with the mattress toop up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I reckon a good mattress topper, good matres out of ten. See, there we go with saving people one DM at a time. Allie rode in and said, definitely buying my newborn heaps of clothes as soon as they were born. They literally grow so quickly and it's like you blink and they don't fit in anything anymore. Honestly, just take all of the ugly hand me downs and call it a day. I feel like that's genius.
Speaker 4: That is very good.
Speaker 1: My best friend had a baby last year, and I swear every time I see him, he's like doubled in size. Like I'm convinced it's a different maybe every single time, but I'm obsessed with him. But I'm like, who are you this time? Because you are not the baby that I saw when you were born.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Also, fashion doesn't matter, it's fashion.
Speaker 1: When you are a newborn.
Speaker 4: Put them in a potato sack.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Ten out of ten, I'm just gonna wrap it in Chuck's cloths because I have a heap of those, because I got a really good deal at Bunny the other day. Ten out of ten ideas all right? And last one I'm going to read out because I could go on about these forever. Is from Sam and Sam said, letting my husband spend money on a home gym to save money on gym memberships. No explanation needed. We've only used it twice and we've owned it for four years.
Speaker 4: Hey, but that's still okay because you're not consistently paying X amount of money every month.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but a home gym? How much do you think that cost?
Speaker 4: Don't even want to know.
Speaker 1: I got caught up during COVID thinking, you know what I'll do. I'll just like do a little home gym setup. And Steve and I we ordered weights online because he wanted to work out and we were obviously in lockdown. Spent a very pretty penny on weights, and now we have been using them in our house as door stops.
Speaker 4: Hey, they still came in handy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the doors definitely stay open, So can can recommend to that purchase? Probably could have gone to kmut and bought a proper doorstop or even just put my handbag in front of it, like, honestly, did I need it?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Did I convince myself I needed it? Absolutely? I did. Stuff is expensive, Sopha.
Speaker 4: I'm going to go away from this episode with that advice, and I'm going to put twenty four hours between me and my purchase.
Speaker 1: But before I'm not gonna lie. Don't believe you.
Speaker 4: I don't believe me.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's optimistic, that's it in my eyes. Yeah, I can. The way you said it, I was like, this woman is pulling meleg I'm going to try, I really really try. Right, But before we wrap up, do you have any more tips? I do. I feel like I've gone through them a lot. You're right. Putting twenty four hours between you and your spending, I think is actually a really powerful one because it doesn't take that feeling of fomo away from you. So I think a lot of the time often if we say well, just don't purchase it, you're like, well, I'm probably going to do it anyway because I want to have that dopamine hit. I think it pushes it off a little bit and allows you enough time to reflect on your values. The next is really really boring. It's make a budget, check it, have a look at it, be really realistic with it. When I say make a budget, don't make an aspirational budget. If we're talking groceries here, don't go, oh my gosh, I'm a single gal like you are. Seventy five bucks is you know good each week? I'm just going to spend that if that's not what you're currently spending. Because your grocery bills one hundred and fifty a week, one to cut it in half is insane immediately, but true. You're going to feel deprived, You're going to splurge on things at some point, and you're not going to have created a realistic budget that we can stick to. So if we are a bit more realistic with our budget, we can actually, you know, make some space to treat ourselves within reason. The next is actually breaking down the price. And this one hurts. I hate it. It's disgusting and it makes me sick. So how many hours work does it take you to earn that item? And we want to work out our post tax hourly rate, not pre tax, because that's too kind. We want to work out, okay, how much do I take home per hour and you might work out all right, well, you know it's nineteen dollars an hour in my pocket after tax. Oh how many hours is that on a fitbit? Would I work twelve hours genuinely for a fitbit? Like if I held the fitbit in front of you and said twelve hours work and you can have this, would you be like heck yes? Or would you be like, oh, that gives me the ick? Not sure if I can part with it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, don't think I would do it. That's a really good way to look at it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it gives me the eck, and therefore it's probably going to be really helpful. The next is obviously do some research before you buy. I mean that is a given. Obviously don't get analysis paralysis, but doing a bit of research is really important. The other thing I would say is a lot of places either price match or price beat. So Jbhi fay. I'm going to be sponsoring us anytime soon. But the guys at JB on Burke Street are legends. First things first, they are really great, but they also know I'm going to ask for the best deal. Like I'll go in and be like, oh, hey, you know I've got a team member starting and I need a new laptop, or I need a new mouse or whatever I need. I think that they have now come to the conclusion that I am going to stand in store, I'm going to google that product and I'm going to see what it costs online, and then I'm going to ask them to sell it to me for that price like they just selling. Yep, they do it every single time, and there's absolutely no judgment there because I think that they would do the same thing in my shoes, Like why don't you just ask for the best deal? What's the worst that they can say? No, did you when you bought your fitbit, did you google how cheap it was online and see if you could get a price matched.
Speaker 4: I knew it was cheaper online, but I couldn't bear to look at this young boy who was asking me how my day was and say, give me this for cheaper please.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: They love it. It's like a game, Like I feel like they would think that you're silly having paid full price when they know that they're allowed to price match, because all they do is go, oh, thanks so much, Beck, what website was that? And you go, oh, it was on you know X y Z website and they go, yeah, yeah, let me just check it. Oh yeah, you're right, it is, you know, fifty bucks cheaper. Oh oh match it and you go, thanks money win. What a legend you are?
Speaker 4: WHOA Okay, they'll actually think it's a flex Like I low key believe that if you walk out of a store that does price matching and you didn't do it, they're gonna be like, what an idiot?
Speaker 1: She didn't even ask for a discount. I would have given it to her literally for free. But they're not going to suggest you price match it. Now, that's not their job. And most places, it's Australia and I mean this, we have international listeners, but here in Australia, we don't work in retail for commission. It's no skin off their back whether you got it for fifty dollars cheap or not. True, So ask next time. The worst thing they can say is no. But also if you want to take a bit of that anxiety away, because like a guarantee that as much as I'm an advocate for this, I'm only going to be asking in places that I know have this policy. Like I'm not just going to walk into any business and be like canny price match and they go, no, we don't do that. I'll be like, oh that's all.
Speaker 4: Quick, Yes, that's what I'm wanting.
Speaker 1: Like Google, it does JB High Fire price Match, or does my price Match? Or does David Joe or wherever you are, And then their policy will come up and you'll be like, oh gosh, like that's good. Some places beat it by five percent. Oh that's even bigger money. So I won't go on and on because I feel like everybody knows the tips and tricks to spend less. But also try using cash if you possibly can, because honestly, it hurts more having to hand over a crisp fifty dollar note and getting broken change back as opposed to tapping your card. Obviously, if you're out shopping and you have a shopping list, try really hard to stick to that list. And then the last one I have is actually make sure you understand returns policies. And I say that because I have been stung with this a few times where I have bought from like a store and then realize that they'll only return for store credits. Have a look at where else you could get that particular item that does have a really good returns policy. So if you do have bvirus remorse and you go, all right, I really want to return it, you can get all your money back and this works. And this is, you know, again, unsolicited advice. That means that David Jones is probably not going to sponsor us in the future. But that's okay. I'm here to help you guys. I know that sometimes they're concession stores, you know how they have shops since shops, yes, you know, like the branded companies like you might have like a Country Road and a Scanlan, Theatore and whatever else. The overarching David Jones policy of returns applies to all those stores, whereas the standalone store might have a store credit only policy. That's yes. So if you're like, oh, I really want this dress but it's a bit speno. Oh I don't know, maybe I'll go buy it. If you went and bought it from, you know, the store directly, you might go, oh, fire out store credit only or no returns. But if it's for sale in the David Jones or the Maya, that return policy exists for that. That is a very smart but we should leave it there because we have definitely gone over and our producer is going to cut us off, so let's leave before we get cut off. Let's go. Let's go, let's go. But obviously before we go, if you haven't already joined our Facebook, please do. It's where our community shares money tips and tricks every single day, free of judgment. So She's on the Money on Facebook and joined us. And if Facebook's not your thing, we're on Insta, We're on TikTok. Just search Shees on the Money and we will pop right up. And as always, please don't forget to rate, review, and subscribe because it actually really does help our little podcast and we really appreciate it. But have a good day and we'll see you guys on Friday.
Speaker 4: See you guys.
Speaker 5: The advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision.
Speaker 1: If you do choose to buy a financial product.
Speaker 5: Read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial.
Speaker 1: Advice tailored towards your needs.
Speaker 5: Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of Money showper Pty Ltd ABN three two one IS six four nine two seven seven zero eight AFSL four five one two eight ninety