Speaker 1: Flex and Frooms, Flex and Frooms. This is the Flex and Frooms catch up podcast. You're wearing a watch today for me? Yes, welcome back to the podcast. Let just ask if I'm wearing a watch, what do you think?
Speaker 2: Is it functional?
Speaker 1: I can't read the time, babe?
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Also the only reason I'm wearing it is because my dad has started selling watches. Oh, okay, salesman. First it was cars, nows watches. It was insurance when he was my age, perfect, very good at it, thousands of dollars a week, babes, absolutely burning through the cash selling insurance door. The door burning through it? What's that mean? The cash burning new cash?
Speaker 2: He spent it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, knocking, he said. I went down King Street in Sydney, where all the globes are knocked on every person's door. I sold insurance. He was a real one. I sent him a message because he asked me every time I call him, maybe call him twice a week, are you wearing my watch? Are you wearing my watch? Because he gave me this watch. Oh, he's like fixated. So I sent him a photo of the watch. He said, elegance. You can't buy class. Oh facts? Is that a dig? Is it. It's not actually sitting with I thought it would go off sis.
Speaker 3: How great is that?
Speaker 1: You don't people just ask you. It's just like preoccupied me wearing this watch.
Speaker 2: And now you've worn it's not what to do himself and.
Speaker 1: It's just not suiting my aesthetic, but I have to wear it. It's cute anyway, bring back watches for people who cannot read analog of time and it was quite a blut on my household growing up, also diding no timetables. Anyway, I'm sick of it. Let's go to the podcast you're listening to, Flex and Rooms on Kita. Someone has messaging and wants us to know if they're the asshole for not letting their partner watch their favorite show.
Speaker 3: Let's rebrand asshole. I think if more people were just open assholes, we would be more excited people weren't assholes.
Speaker 1: Definitely, that might be an asshole.
Speaker 3: Yeah, probably, If you have to ask, I'm gonna say yeah.
Speaker 1: Based up. My boyfriend and I have a weekly date night where we cooked in out and watch a movie or TV show.
Speaker 2: Love date night. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Recently, my boyfriend has been going through a tough time dealing with his anxis and he's been using his favorite TV show as a way to cope. Okay, mine is Sex and the City. Last Friday, I that we watch a romantic movie instead of his show, but he insisted that we watch it because it helps him relax. However, I wasn't in the mood for it and wanted to watch something different. He got upset and revealed to me that the show was a comforting escape for him during his panic attacks. Wow, he's hitting me with a panic attacks. That's mean, that's real going for I didn't know how to react because I don't want to invalidate his feelings. However, I also didn't want to give up her date night tradition. He accused me of being selfish and not understanding his mental health struggles, and I felt like he was using his personal issue to guild me into watching something he said weaponize watching something I didn't want to watch. Now, I'm told between when he's support him and needing our date night to be enjoyable for both of us. So am I the ourseholf for not letting my boyfriend watch his favorite TV show during date night? We were a date night. You should be doing one for one I, for one, have a housemate who I and she would say it herself has dog tastes in movies in cinema. I probably do too, you actually now yeah, but she's like watching rom coms all day and all night, like yeah, rom comms from ten years ago, Like really not it. We did watch Bridge Jones the other day and that was lit. But I will say, you need to find a happy medium. She doesn't like watching scary movies, so instead we come in the middle and we watch true crime youtubes. That is a happy medium. So I think you and your partner need to either get a happy medium and both supper or do bit by bit time by time because your mental health is in a good place. It's in a good place because you put yourself first.
Speaker 3: I just think, if you can't decide on a show, don't watch a show for date night, Just why don't you do things you both actually really enjoy, like.
Speaker 2: What I don't know, go act throwing.
Speaker 3: I just think like when things that are meant to be really sweet become regimented and also points of contention, swap it out. Like I think the idea of compromising and setting a boundary is cool for things that are big and matter. But you're wasting all your relationship fuel on something that's so inconsequential. If you can't agree on a show, eat talk and go do your fun activity I really want to do together, as opposed to being like, well, he's depression show. I don't want to watch it. I want to like, I get it because I love it. But it's do you am I Are we hearing the same thing? Yeah, it sounds insane. Just don't watch shows on date night. You have six other days of the week to watch a show, do a different data activity.
Speaker 1: I will say, there's nothing better than the feeling of tucking in with your favorite show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which gets ruined because your boyfriend and he wants to watch his depression show and you think he's weaponizing his mental health.
Speaker 1: So you can't watch your show, the depression show.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that's what the says.
Speaker 1: You're in flexing fromes on cater. We need to learn as a community, as a satire, hey, how to correctly flirt on messages?
Speaker 2: Okay generally, but of course virtually.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you are a communicative queen and we could learn a thing or two. However, I'm getting some mixed messages when I'm messaging a man. Okay, sometimes I'm not sure are you being friendly?
Speaker 3: There was just an instance deniability at work.
Speaker 1: A good looking man comes through. Is there some id eye action? Or am I in my bag? What he needs to do? Send me a follow up messaging? Yeah, but that's not happening anyway. I'm going to tell you how to flirt through instant messaging.
Speaker 3: Number one, messaging as opposed to why, Hey, I have had relationships over email, two of them, all right, so be careful you're speaking of for real.
Speaker 1: Both ended numbers naturally. Jordan in the Shoes asking why. One of them was during lockdown, and I don't know how he got onto emailing, but it was really cute. And then the other one he was overseas. I'm not sure why we do email again, it was quite romantic. I'm a word stress. Okay, Oh yeah you are. I'm a word stress, So it makes sense. Number one, start the conversation casually. There's no reason to be nervous when it comes to instant messaging flirting. If the person you want to talk she doesn't want to talk to you, They've got the option of simply not responding to your message.
Speaker 2: I mean fair.
Speaker 1: But also if you barely know someone, it can be a good idea to have an excuse to start the conversation. Eg. Hey, I saw a dog on your story. What's its name? My old housemate did that that. They're now in a three year relationship, live in rural Victoria, guys, So dogs are really great in.
Speaker 2: Okay, So it's like one of those don't knock into your try it things.
Speaker 1: Okay, So don't dwell on the small took or so, like a miner or two is good to break the ice.
Speaker 2: A minute in text seeing could be days.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, Number three joke, I'll let you do what you want.
Speaker 2: More one line.
Speaker 1: Item number four tease playfully. Now this is where I draw the line. I'm not into teasing. I'm teased often to work. Some would say it's bordering on workplace billing, but as you know, I don't believe in HR, so I'll be dealing with that internally in my single. You gotta be reasonable about teasing. Perhaps no teasing on the body front, or perhaps the intellect front.
Speaker 3: I'd say no teasing, but a general air of playfulness is better than the alternative.
Speaker 1: Yeah. For example, here's one let's say a band that she or he likes. You could say those guys are nothing but poses and their fans are the worst. They said, use cheeky emoticons, which I'm a massive fan of. I like the two eyes with the lip in the middle.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: And then if you're getting a good response, heat things up a little bit.
Speaker 3: What you see the first texting interaction?
Speaker 1: Are we eating things up? Okay? Sorry? And they've given us one example, and it's a person messaging Drake, not the singer, just someone else called Drake.
Speaker 2: Period.
Speaker 1: They said, what band do you like? They reply? I like Coldplay? Someone said mine too. What's your favorite song? Mind's fix You? They reply, my girlfriend? My girlfriend?
Speaker 2: That is that?
Speaker 1: Do you see what that is?
Speaker 3: That's a warning sign right there. That is a subliminal message.
Speaker 1: You know. They've got a song called warning Sign, cor Play.
Speaker 3: And fix You and Yellow and I will try to fix you.
Speaker 1: Don't get out. I don't have time, they replied, my girlfriend really likes that song. Although my personal favorite Strawberry Swing, to which you say, hey, I gotta run talk to you later. Once you hit me with a girlfriend, I've gotta get out. Guys, flex and rooms, I'm kaita FLEXI. I have an issue. It's quite a pressing issue, personal issue, if you will, in my messages. Why has every started communicating with me in voice notes? I've seen an upwards trend of people sending me minutes long voice notes, and I have some rules and regulations I don't want to put in place.
Speaker 3: You have a voice notes vibe, so it surprises me that this offends you.
Speaker 2: You also have a gift vibe.
Speaker 1: Oh, babes, I'm sending gifts, okay, set.
Speaker 3: Cut from the same cloth. See, I would never send a gift, but I was sent a voice.
Speaker 1: Note last night. I sent that you get a car, You get a car to a friend.
Speaker 2: Millennial.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what. I think we need to bring back the millennial. Okay, it's coming back around. It's going to be cool soon. So I'm staying in my lane.
Speaker 2: Okay, product cycle.
Speaker 1: I'm sick of pretending that I was born in ninety ninety six. Guys, I'm firmly on the cast. I say this sort of say voice notes. I'm off them. I've had enough unless you're sending me a detailed description as soon as you wake up of the dream that I was in where I was acting cool, hot, sexy and also fun. Leave it all right? Are you serious?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: People are out here and only just discover this. People are sending me like three one and a half minute voice notes I'm going through. I'm like, oh, I have to remember this point, at this point, in this point. Okay, yep, yeah, I got it. Okay, I go to reply, oh, call, I have to listen to it again. I didn't realize that you can actually scrub through it. I didn't so I would say, oh, start again. Yep, we're into the one minute mark. Also, you can't go out of the messages. I just I'm sick of it. Guys, unless you have a textual relationship where that's the only way that you communicate what's textual textual? On the text? When am I ever able to you know? You're sending me like, how do I say sensitive information? I open up a text at CATA that says flexus a bush pig. What do I do? Now? We both implicated.
Speaker 2: We don't know.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, May I please take the floor allow me. I think what voice memoing is doing is it's introducing intimacy back into phone based relationships. Texting, emojiing, giffing is so one dimensional, lacks nuance and context. And yes, if I know you well enough, I can kind of chuck it in myself. But the moment that I get a look sonic in my ear, I'm like, I'm really in it. I'm here mixed medium messaging, emmm, not just imagery, bring back voice notes. I think it's really beautiful, intimate. Maybe that's what you're scared of, really being vulnerable.
Speaker 1: Listen, if you're going to send me a voice note, send me the emoji talking, make it three day. You know you can do that.
Speaker 3: Do you want even some context like, oh my goodness, I just had the craziest experience.
Speaker 2: And then the voice note is that anyone.
Speaker 1: I just had the craziest experience about you?
Speaker 3: For me allowed me to take a peek into her group chat today, which is an honor that I appreciate.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's not something that.
Speaker 3: You can do lightly, and I respect that, and I also I'm so grateful for that opportunity to be invited into your life in that way. Now, what I saw potentially scarred me in the moment, but I've soon recovered what was it for him?
Speaker 1: So our group chat is called brox angels because my friends and I were once taught surfing by a mutual man friend called Brock.
Speaker 2: Amazing.
Speaker 1: Shout out Brock. My friend Michelle has sent a foe. It is a flyer that was sent into her letterbox. She lives in Bondai Beach, a physical letterbox.
Speaker 2: Mind, you're not an inbox.
Speaker 1: No no. It is a poster with a man and a woman. A woman wearing a triangle bikini, TVT neon neo and the man in a pair of short blue boxes with a ripped physeeke. They are holding hands.
Speaker 2: Walking off into the sunset or something.
Speaker 1: Yes with palm tree appliques. It says find fit, Love presents fitness speed dating. It goes on go on ten mini dates with the opposite sex on the beach, flirt chats.
Speaker 3: On opposite sex. They said heteros only. Don't play with that. Don't play with anything else.
Speaker 1: You too, queer baiting, get out, flirt chat and work out in nature not online. A night of meeting fit, eager and love thirsty singles who share the same passion as you with a QR code. And it's on the eighteenth of May twenty twenty three.
Speaker 2: It's giving high intensity into the training they do meet like the Babes people.
Speaker 1: There's quite a lot of sexual energy in the gym. Believe I'm not. I believe yeah, Yeah, you got it the gym, yeah more than I do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I believe you.
Speaker 1: So apparently the cost is fifty dollars and eighty eight cents, which we think in the group chat is a scam.
Speaker 2: You have to be thirty. What are you paying for?
Speaker 1: I don't know. Man, you got to be thirty three to foury five years old and it starts at seven pm. So my thinking is that.
Speaker 2: PM, I should It's not even downlight. Same with you, it's to be pitch black.
Speaker 1: I'm thinking I should go down there. Don't qualify, no, but yeah go as a punter, to go watch oh observational observational like when you're in thirteen hundreds and your best friend buys your front road tickets to the.
Speaker 3: Town Center Vibe. I think you should go. This concept is really interesting. It really pains me, and I'm so sure my ancestors and their ancestors would hate to know that this these lengths we've got to go through to find love back in the good old days, just pick the local baker.
Speaker 2: I'm sure he's.
Speaker 3: Fine, and if not, the fisherman's chill too, you know. If not, like, I'm sure your brother knows who can sort it out.
Speaker 1: To go back to that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because this is inane.
Speaker 3: You're telling me, in order to find someone I'm romantically compatible with, gotta put on spandex and lycra pay you fifty, pay a stranger fifty dollars and eighty eight cents to go talk to ten people of the opposite sex while I'm sweating and huffing and puffing.
Speaker 2: Absurd dystopian. I love it. See there.
Speaker 1: It's like when we were on dating apps and they say looking for someone who's fit, and you say, just say no fatties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just say what you mean.
Speaker 1: You're listening to flex and frooms on Kaita.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you've kept your finger on the pulse, your eye to the streets, but we're seeing a lot of denim maxi skirts.
Speaker 2: Not a trend that.
Speaker 3: Has happened in my lifetime when I've been able to invest in fashion. But I jumped on quick enough because what can I say, like a bit of deadim like long hem lime. I saw this TikTok video of this chick recording the streets of New York and being like, how they all dressed the same way. In the comments, We're like, oh, I think they're like amish.
Speaker 2: No, they're not armied.
Speaker 3: She's just literally trained. So I kept scrolling and somebody said, isn't this just a sign we're going into a recession? I'm thinking, is that a gager to understand? Then? I thought, same as a lipstick index, the hem line index. It's the theory that suggests the skirt length, so your hem lines get longer when the economy is in strife. Now they haven't announced a recession. Okay, the RBA cash rates going up, so it currently mean one thing.
Speaker 1: But to that point, is it really that subconscious?
Speaker 3: Like do I really feel like covering up my body when money is tight? Do I really feel like showing more bosom and chess and stomach and leg when money is flowing? I'm not sure, But I would like to do a grash in another life, all right, not this one.
Speaker 2: I'm not interested in data. I want to read it, I don't want to make it.
Speaker 1: I can see that like in the sixties is swinging sixties, and that's kind of like a time of prosperity and growth then yeah, but I got to catch you from General Barbican and the archive will colorized footage babes. Yeah, and the hemlines were high. There's a bit of like just autumn winter high hemline at the Melbourne Spring Racing Carnival Festival. I see high skirts in exciting times. I've been known to wear a high skirt in a winter bit of a splendor festival with the time. I've never seen you in a minie. It was a different era. But I do love myself for a minting. So twenty sixteen or twenty eighteen Flex, Yeah, I a reckon some of my best work. You've been listening to The Flex and Froom's daily podcast.
Speaker 3: For more, Tune Indicator on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.