Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud yr the Order Kerney Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next.
Speaker 2: Generation coming through.
Speaker 1: As this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money, She's on the Money.
Speaker 4: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Mune, the podcast for millennials who want financial freedom. Welcome back to another one of our money diaries, where I get the absolute pleasure of sitting down with one of my friends from the community and talking all about.
Speaker 2: Their money story.
Speaker 4: Before I read out the letter I got this week, I just wanted to give you guys a little bit of a content warning. We are discussing inheritance today, which can be a little bit of a tricky topic for some.
Speaker 5: This is a.
Speaker 4: Beautiful money diary talking about a positive experience with inheritance and how the money has been used to help them thrive. But if it's not a conversation for you today or for you at this point in time, we have so many other episodes you could dive right into now. So thanks for coming and we will see you next time. For those of you sticking around, here is the letter I got Hi Victoria. Earlier this year, I lost my nana and my mum within a couple of months of each other. Since then, I've come into some money. I managed to purchase an apartment to live in. Since the passing of my mum, I've had to restructure a lot of my life, my future, and my finances. In a heartbeat, I would trade my apartment and the money I received to have my mum back. And I think grief and money is a discussion not often had money.
Speaker 2: Diarist. I could not agree with you more.
Speaker 4: Kick you while you're down your mum and your nana like so close together, Like I'm sorry, that's actually quite rude, isn't it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but you know life and the opposite of life happens to all of us.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, exactly, But that's just bullshit, Like you don't deserve to lose one, let alone both at once.
Speaker 2: Anyway, that's really really awful.
Speaker 4: I'm so sorry for your loss, But I think talking about it is also something that, as you said in your letter, I think grief and money is not a discussion often had. But also just like the burden of all of that, it's not just oh, you lost your mum and your nana, it's also like the admin, the life admin, everything that is then put on your shoulders. Can you tell me a little bit about that before we get into I guess how more structured questions.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, of course I thought I would write in after I noticed a couple of the episodes, you know, you were talking about inheritances, and obviously you have a lot of experience with this and you're very familiar, you know, with walking people through it. And we're already emotional about money and finances, and then you know, you add grief on top of it and it becomes, you know, significantly more complex. It's everything tied into it all. So for me, you know, I think we've spoken about this. I just wanted to honor my mum and my nana. I am, in some regards very lucky. I know, that sounds weird to be starting off this conversation with that. Essentially, obviously, my dad was the inheritor of everything because it was his mother and his wife, so it all kind of came to him, and he wanted to help my sister and I out, and he gave us access to a portion of money earlier, knowing that I wanted to buy a house, you know, my sister and her partner as well, and things like that. So I don't know, it's like a whole thing, like you're grieving somebody who you love so dearly. My mum was only fifty eight years so really young. It was quite starting in the end, and you're going through all of this and then you have to go through a crap down a paperwork.
Speaker 2: And make shitty decisions about death that no one wants to have to make.
Speaker 5: Yeah, something that like I didn't even realize about until obviously these last few months, my dad had to go in and file a tax return on behalf of my mother. Yeah, you do, right, Like, and you don't even think about those things.
Speaker 4: Just the shit things that you have to do, Like it's it's tremendous, Like there's not one good thing about.
Speaker 5: That yeah, exactly, even things I like. Obviously, because you know, I'm a direct descendant of my mom, I could ask for a portion of that inheritance. But I've got a really good relationship with my dad and wanted him, you know, to have the money to make his own decisions with that. Yes, of course. But I was going in whilst grieving and signing documents saying, you know, I don't know the exact amount of my mom's superannuation account, but I'm signing all of this over to my dad, and I'm fully cognizant of that, and I'm happy to do it. And I was just thinking to myself, my goodness, I'm lucky. I am so lucky that I have such a good relationship with my dad, with my sister, and that I'm also financially informed and I know the kind of decisions that I'm making. And there are some people out there, you know, we were having discussions prior to my mum getting put into palliative care. A nurse comes and meets with you and they go through like a list of questions and they ask you things like do you own this house? Are you on any form of support or financial assistance? Are you working, are you able to take leave? And there are some people who will be answering you know, I rent, No, I don't own this house. Yes, I am on support. No, I do not work currently, and you know all of these things. And again I was just thinking, my goodness, I am lucky to be able to mostly focus on my grief and not deal with all of these other things as well. So yeah, wow, it was a very eye opening experience.
Speaker 4: So your mum was sick and then she passed away at fifty eight years young. Tell me a little bit more. I guess about the estate planning process for that? Did she have a will in place? Had she discussed these things with you? I know some families do Some families completely like bury their heads in the sand and don't want to have conversations about that because obviously it's overwhelming, Like, it's not very sexy, it's not nice conversation to be having, especially when you want to be I guess, savoring every moment that you can get together.
Speaker 5: What was that like? So luckily my parents had had a lot of these conversations when everybody was well, which you know is so important, right to have these conversations before the concept of death has even entered into your life, so I knew that there was a will already. And look, my parents have been together since they were nineteen years old.
Speaker 2: Oh so cute.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, they were set up by my mom's brother.
Speaker 2: No, they were that's so wholesome.
Speaker 5: Very wholesome. So they were together for a very very long time, over half of their lives. So they split everything like everything was shited. The only thing separate was my mum's superannuation account and some shares in terms of the actual estate itself. That was quite straightforward because you know, there was no hidden secret relationships or secret children.
Speaker 2: Oh thank god.
Speaker 4: Like honestly, as a financial advisor, I have seen it all. I have seen the secret children come out of the woodwork. I have seen this secret partner that lives in a different state and they thought that their husband actually was traveling back and forth for work, but they weren't. They were maintaining two different lives of my ex clients. If you're listening to this right now and you want to share that story publicly, you just slide straight into my DMS and I'll get you on the show.
Speaker 5: Just let us know I will be listening to that episode yeah, I'm not right, like I need all the juicy details, but I'm obviously not going to share it without their permission.
Speaker 4: But it's interesting how messy it can get. And I'm very very grateful that you didn't have that experience.
Speaker 5: No, I've been raised by two incredibly pragmatic people, and they always had their house in order and were step free at this point.
Speaker 2: Oh, very nice, get it mom and dad by fifty eight.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so very together. Yeah, really planned it, and yeah, they always lived within their means. So again, like this is a very good kind of like financial situation to be in for them. So obviously in terms of like the finances in the estate, that was just a matter of paperwork. But the other side of it is acknowledging and knowing that you are passing away, yeah, and that you loved when he's passing away. So when somebody is sick for a while, coming to that realization can really hurt. And there are some things that you have to do sort of in those final moments, like putting in insurance claims and saying that you have a terminal illness. And that is the bit that I think my mum struggled with the most because it's admitting defeat. And that was probably the hardest part in terms of your initial question of the estate planning. There was a rush to get all of this paperwork through.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all of your doug's in a row.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because we had so much hope and we were so just focused on like, it's okay, we can do this and it'll be fine, and then very quickly it wasn't. And so yeah, getting all of that was tricky in the end, But the rest of it, Yeah, I'm very grateful to have been raised by two parents who had their heads screwed on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I can tell. But also I can just tell that they were just like wholesome human beings. Oh your mum sounds like a legend, But talk to me. I guess a bit more about this admitting defeat vibe, because that's really shitty. I have had to work with clients who are dying and we have had to go through those things, and a lot of the time I'm like, look, we have to go through this. Obviously, this is what medicine says.
Speaker 2: But wouldn't it be cool if I could call them and say, ha ha, let's withdraw that. We don't need it anymore.
Speaker 4: How did you have those conversations with your mum? Obviously admitting defeat at the end. It's just really shitty, Like there's no other way to put it, Like, I don't want to romanticize it and be like, oh, some Mira cool could happen, because it doesn't help to do that.
Speaker 2: What would you say to.
Speaker 4: Somebody going through the same process that you have just been through to make it a little bit easier.
Speaker 5: Well, the diagnosis was never curable, so we knew it was just a matter of trying to extend life as much as possible. So since that initial diagnosis, which was about two years prior, I'd made a point of always you know, finishing every conversation with I love you, and I moved back home, you know, everything just became significantly more intentional. And I had those conversations with my mum when she was well and happy and feeling positive about you know how she has no regrets. To be able to have that conversation is amazing. So many people get a diagnosis of you know, this is it, and they have so many people that they need to call, people that they need to apologize to things that they worry about. Whereas that wasn't the case with my mum. She'd done everything right.
Speaker 2: Oh, Mom, of course she did.
Speaker 5: Yeah, she just knew that she could go in grace. However, because she was so well for the majority of air time, the end was very quick. Yeah, I suppose I want to say to people, movies do sensationalize a lot of this stuff, and so does literature and all of these things. And you know, those conversations, those final goodbyes, it's not always like that. Don't think that you're meant to, you know, have this big final moment with somebody, because somebody's final moment isn't the entirety of their life. You know, you've got too many good memories leading up to it. So yeah, I suppose that's what I would say about that.
Speaker 2: It's really sweet. I really like that.
Speaker 4: I think it's so important to share more conversation about this more regularly as well, because there is a very complicated relationship between grief and money. And one thing I do want to ask before we get back on track with money dies. I've got so many questions. I want to ask you. Something that I've always dealt with, I guess as an ex financial advisor, is guilt so you know you've gone through this. I've done absolutely the best you can for your mum, right like end to end. You know she had a life well lived and that is so beautiful. But then the end comes, and it's usually not immediate. It might be two or three months after the passing. You're finally making some big decisions around some inheritance, around some money, whether that is the thousand dollars that you've inherited a need to allocate, or it's a whole house, or it might be an entire investment portfolio that sets you up for the rest of your life. There seems to be a lot of guilt around I guess spending that money, and you said something earlier about honoring the money, and that's what I really you know, drive people towards I'm like, no, your mum can't be here. Like obviously, anyone who has gone through this can empathize and say, in a flash, I'll trade my apartment, I'll trade the money that I received. I want my mom back ten out of ten, even if it's for a day, like I would take that back in a heartbeat. However, have you dealt with the I guess guilt that comes with taking on such a large responsibility.
Speaker 5: I don't know if I would frame.
Speaker 2: It as guilt good because it's not.
Speaker 5: No. One of the biggest lessons that I've learned is life is significantly too short to be messing around with those kinds of feelings, right, And I suppose the other side of it, maybe I didn't so much to deal with guilt, but I did, for a period of time, felt this almost like impending sense of you know, oh my goodness, I haven't done the things that I want to do just yet, and what if I don't have the time to do it. You know, my mom did the things that she wanted to do, and she made all of the right decisions, and then you end up putting that mirror on yourself. And so I think for me, it was we can get into it when you ask me some of the questions. But you'll find out this year I've made a lot of big decisions.
Speaker 2: All right, Right, let's get into the questions.
Speaker 5: Then I've done her eyes wide open.
Speaker 2: No, I love it.
Speaker 5: I love it.
Speaker 4: So back to the first question I usually ask people, but I wanted to talk about.
Speaker 2: Your mamma first.
Speaker 5: Sorry, Yeah, I know she's worth it.
Speaker 2: She answers, then, is worth it? Exactly?
Speaker 4: What grade would you give your money habits if I asked you to give yourself a grade from A three to F.
Speaker 5: I think I'm a solid A.
Speaker 2: You're a solid A. I love the conviction.
Speaker 4: Next question, I want to know, obviously a bit more about your money story. How did you grow up around money? What did that look like? You've dropped in conversation a little bit earlier that you were brought up by quote two people with their head screwed on.
Speaker 5: What was that like? Yeah, they were raised in very humble homes and not to the point of having food insecurity, but to the point of, you know, both leaving school at sixteen to get work and you know, moving out of home pretty quickly, to you know, be independent and to not you know, burden their family and things like that. My mum also lost her mother when she was quite young as well, so a bit of a legacy there. And then they met quite young and were very smart about things. So you know, if you look at their timeline, they waited a while, like you know, this was in the eighties, so a while for the time being, like six years before they even got married.
Speaker 2: Oh what, Yeah, that's a lot of time. Yeah, mom and dad were savvy.
Speaker 5: Exactly. They waited almost ten years being together before they even had kids.
Speaker 2: Oh I love this from them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they were planned and I.
Speaker 2: Was too, And it shocks me and like, who chose this?
Speaker 5: Really?
Speaker 2: Okay me?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 2: Interesting that was a choice.
Speaker 5: Like, my mom has always been very financially informed, which was a great role model.
Speaker 2: She's a woman after my own heart. I already love her.
Speaker 5: I would go over and she'd be like, what superannuation account are you with?
Speaker 2: Yes, Mum, you're a queen.
Speaker 5: She'd be like, I don't think that they're as competitive as the other one. I think you should change this one. And then she'd like give me this spiel of why, and.
Speaker 2: I hope that's the mom.
Speaker 4: I am like you right, my kids, if it comes out and it's called superannuation, don't be surprised.
Speaker 5: One of my mum's friends got divorced quite later in life, and in that relationship she had no financial independence and obviously had to learn a lot in her sixties, and you know, my mom got some finance books and went over and you know, had some catchups with her and helped her get herself set up and she's back in the workforce and all these kinds of things.
Speaker 2: So Mom sounds like she was a queen, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 5: And she learned about shares when she was working at a bank and she bought some and then they sold them, and they paid off the house, and then they renovated the house and then like re mortgage, and they were always doing what they could. And my sister and I both went to really good schools. We both got university educations, and it's always just sort of been, I think, for them. And what I've seen is independence, like a strong sense of independence and needing to stand on your own two feet and not burdening other people with your financial needs, you know, like not doing things that you can't afford, so you know, you live the life that you can. And then also just one foot in front of the other, like making sure that every decision that you make is putting yourself in a better position than you were the day before. I love it, And that might be small, but you'll find yourself like five years later and you'll look back and you'll go, my goodness, I never thought that i'd be here.
Speaker 4: No wonder your parents have a daughter that had such conviction that she was an a like, it's not surprising. I should have asked you the other one first and then been like, right, so you think you're in a financially because like, I expect nothing less this point.
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 2: Tell me now, what do you do for work? How much money do you earn a work in HR?
Speaker 5: Been doing that for about five years now and I'm on one hundred and eighteen thousand a year?
Speaker 2: Is that including or excluding Super?
Speaker 5: Excluding Super?
Speaker 2: Also you get super on top of that.
Speaker 5: I'm actually so proud of that. My first job out of UNI five years ago was like fifty k.
Speaker 4: Hold on, so in five years you've gone from fifty k to one hundred and eighteen plus Super.
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Sorry, quick crash course, how do we do that too?
Speaker 5: Never leave a job unhappy. Always fix your situation first, and you talk about it a lot in your books and things like that. You push for those promotions, but you ask them, what do I need to do to get that pay rise? What do I need to do to get that promotion? Get your manager to spell it out for you, and then keep track of what you.
Speaker 4: Do, and then you can be on one hundred and eighteen plus super. All right, I'm just going to copy you that cut paste.
Speaker 2: Stunning. I love that advice. That's so inspiring. In five years, you've gone from fifty grand to work eighteen queen. I love it.
Speaker 4: That is very, very impressive. So tell me a bit more about your big money goals. What are you currently working towards.
Speaker 5: Well, I just achieved my big money goal. I settled on my apartment in September.
Speaker 2: Congratulations, Thank you.
Speaker 4: So exciting. Your mama would be so proud. She'd be like, get a little queen. That's exactly how I taught you.
Speaker 5: Exactly, and it's what she wanted, which is why you know you're asking me about how I spent the money and everything. It was all one hundred percent on putting a very generous deposit down on my apartment because in today's economy, I wanted to reduce the amount of money that I was borrowing from the bank as much as I could.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because it's crippling right now.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, So I didn't want to invest in shares or anything like that. I was also made redundant earlier on in the Yeah, about like two months after my mom passed away.
Speaker 2: I'll kick you while you're down. Are you that should be illegal.
Speaker 5: I know, I got a three month payout from.
Speaker 2: That, Okay, not too bad.
Speaker 5: And I secured a job before my redundancy it had even been oh.
Speaker 2: Okay, so it all works out.
Speaker 4: But like in my head, that should still be illegal, Like that is not acceptable.
Speaker 2: How's your mental health now?
Speaker 5: Oh, we're good.
Speaker 4: But at the time, I am assuming that that wasn't the most comfortable of periods.
Speaker 5: I was just honestly thought, like, you know what, this isn't as bad as what I've dealt with already. This. Yeah, like I think when you lose somebody really close to you, you think that's a problem. This is not a problem. This is fixable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, I can fix this.
Speaker 5: I can't fix somebody dying, but I can fix getting a new job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay. It makes these problems seem very small in comparison.
Speaker 5: It really does. I was like, oh, that's just work, Like we'll figure that out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's fine. Like, honestly, at this point, don't even need a job.
Speaker 5: Yep. So I also got like kind of that additional bonus money as well. Well. I want to say about twenty k yeap maybe.
Speaker 4: For those listening who might not understand a redundancy, you are lucky. But also there's different tax rates applied to redundancy payouts. So obviously you'd be on a pretty good tax rate if you're on one hundred and eighteen plus super, but you often end up walking away with a bit more cash in the bank than you would have if that was treated as normal pay So twenty k is good. That would have been a nice little bonus, especially if you had sorted out another job. Did that just all go straight to your home deposit?
Speaker 5: Most of it, yeah, and then part of it went to a holiday. So that is why I kind of also was very confident in spending the money that I got from Dad through MYNN or my mum, in just putting that straight onto the deposit, because I had a little bit like extra fun money come in at the time that I was able to spend on, you know, some stuff that you know, just for me. So I did that.
Speaker 2: You deserved that, thank you.
Speaker 5: So then I started a new job, and then I went overseas and my dad texted me while I was overseas being like, there's some money in your bank account.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh, chill, no worries, no problems, at all.
Speaker 5: It sent me like one hundred and forty.
Speaker 4: K just a little bit of change. Dad, Oh my gosh, but that's life changing.
Speaker 5: It was like at a restaurant and I was like, okay, all right, we're just gonna not react.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, no, no, we don't want to react.
Speaker 4: But also like it's a life changing amount of money, right, Like it puts you in such a different situation, and it's a lot all right, I have a lot of questions. Let's go to a really quick break on the flip side. I want to talk about your property journey. I want to talk about investments, and I want to talk about I guess how you've structured this home loan because you said before obviously I wanted a bit more of a chunky deposit because interest rates are so high. So I've just got so many questions. Guys, don't go anywhere, all right, money dis are back, and I want to know first, cab off the rank.
Speaker 2: Do you have any investments? If so, what are they?
Speaker 5: Yes, so I have my house which I live in. We cannot classify that as an investment.
Speaker 2: Or you've been listening to the podcast, I see you.
Speaker 5: Depending on your perspective, whether you like to think of it as an investment or not.
Speaker 4: Well, obviously talk to me about the house. If you see it as an investment, why do you see it an investment? How does that work and what does that look like?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so, first of all, I adore it and I'm super happy living in it. It's an apartment. I could have gone further out and bought myself a house, but I like living close to the city, and I thought, I'm not going to buy something for a future that I don't even know is going to happen. I'm single.
Speaker 2: Like, so you're a catch as well. Look at this. She works in HR she owns one hundred and eighteen K.
Speaker 5: We'll take refer off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm working on it. You own your own house, Like, you're a catch ten out of ten. If you popped up on bumble for me, I'd be like, yep, ten.
Speaker 5: I'll never forget my dad once said to music, when you buy a house, you're going to be so much more attractive because men will be attracted to your assets.
Speaker 4: Getting the bin, Dad, I'm not going to tell the men that that's a secret.
Speaker 2: I'll pop out on our wedding day and let them know.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 2: By the way, did you also know that I'm very financially.
Speaker 5: Secure, pragmatic Dad advice you know what.
Speaker 2: I like that he's interested.
Speaker 5: So I got the apartment six' eighty for it, and I put down just over one hundred and eighty on it. So I got my very nice loan under five hundred. And then on top of that, obviously you know stamp and legal fees and yeah, all of that kind of stuff. So I basically cleared my savings out because I saved.
Speaker 2: Up seventy k oh, that's so good.
Speaker 5: Yeah, plus Dad's money, and so then that kind of yeah, dropped my overall loaning amount down quite significantly. And then I signed up for a principle and interest loan. Yeah. So the way you're asking me about how I see this as an investment, the way I see it is that I'm building equity. Yeah, I'm in a very resellable suburb. It's not going to go up massively like houses do, but it will go up maybe a little bit. But at the meantime, I'm putting money away essentially so that if my life does change, then I'm setting myself up to make my purchase in the future more accessible for myself. I'm in the market essentially.
Speaker 2: I love this. Do you think that your mindset around purchasing was a little bit more stable because you actually had saved such a significant amount of money on your own, So, like you obviously said, I actually saved seventy grand of this on my own, and then obviously one pint forty turbocharges it. That's very sexy. We love that.
Speaker 4: But I feel like sometimes if you only are working with inheritance, there's a lot more apprehension.
Speaker 5: How did you feel, Yeah, like part of it was, yeah, this is my money, because not all of it was the money from my parents. That I had saved a significant amount of money, and I wouldn't say that seventy k is insignificant at all.
Speaker 4: Nobody would and if they do, they're not in our community, like they're not our people.
Speaker 2: My friend.
Speaker 5: But having said that, I was very quick at making my decisions because I just came and saw this place and I was like, it's perfect the real estate age. I was like, this will buy it today, And I went home and I did the math and everything. I made an offer and within four hours the yea and I was lying in bed. It was like nine o'clock at night and I was like, oh my god, I've own an apartment. What just happened.
Speaker 4: I love that so much because so many times people have like painful money journeys when it comes to property. They're like, oh, I've put on offers on fifty properties that I haven't got them. And then you know when one hundred k over at auction, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 2: You just walked in made an offer. Four hours later it was all yours. Do you think your mom had anything to do with that? Because I think she did.
Speaker 5: When I was moving, I was living at home and I'm going through the garage and everything, and I'm finding full sets of cutlery that my mum had put aside. I'm finding a whole bunch of like shop cooking and finding like beaters and all these extra you know, bits of things to have in the house. And I'm like, oh, man, she had plans. I love her.
Speaker 2: She knew what she was doing. She was involved.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she's the mum that had the money magazine and was like meddling in your super and was like they're not committed eve enough, Like you best believe that wasn't going to stop so at the moment, let's talk about the debt that you have. You said you took out a five hundred thousand dollars loane. What's currently owing on that? And do you have any other debts?
Speaker 5: So HEX is sitting at about thirty five, OK. I want to say, I'm just ignoring that. It comes out pretax and.
Speaker 2: You'll knock it over, my friend.
Speaker 4: I don't think on one hundred and eighteen grand you need to worry too much about your HEX. It'll slowly tick away and you'll be just fine.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's going down. It's started at forty five. You know, we're ten k off already. Happy days.
Speaker 2: Oh money went and I've only.
Speaker 5: Just gotten the loan, so I haven't worked too much off of it. But we're down I think to like four hundred and ninety seven ninety eight yep. So just chipping away it that slowly and that's it for debts. I don't have anything else. Never took out a loan in my life.
Speaker 2: That's very sexy.
Speaker 4: And to be honest with parents like yours, I'm not surprised that that's what you would say. Tell me a bit about what you think your best money habit is.
Speaker 5: Best money habit. I'm organized like I treat it like my life. I schedule in my payments, I know exactly what's in my bank account. I can really research when I need to. I've got my house in order. I don't have any skeletons in the closet. That's just going to say quickly. We mentioned investments, do have super and I also do have some shares as well.
Speaker 2: Oh, tell me about the those shares. How did you forget those? You should know me well enough by now, my friends.
Speaker 5: I'm distracted by the house chat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, that's so fair. Tell me about your shares.
Speaker 5: I inherited some from my work. Part of my package was to be given shares, so I kick started off with that, and then I invest. Prior to owning the house, I was putting away fifty bucks a week into an ETF and then now it's down to twenty a week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you have a mortgage and life is expensive.
Speaker 5: Yep. So that's just kind of sitting there. It's about six and a half thousand dollars, So we'll just let that slowly build over time. I don't know the share market. I think I'm just happy to be slow about it and just I'll get it to probably maybe about fifteen K, and then I'll look at investing in the blue chips. No, I love, and in the meantime, I'll just let that slowly build and then my supers at about forty.
Speaker 4: Hey, that's very sexy for your age dollars. No forty dollars or forty thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: I was about to be like, sorry, I think you're lying.
Speaker 5: I just realized I said like forty and didn't clarify how much of forty it was.
Speaker 4: I've read you like a very open book. It is okay, But what I want to know you mentioned before that you're putting fifty bucks now twenty dollars a week into an ETF. It's a really beautiful way of investing. You said, Look, I'm just going to let that cheap away, Like you know, I've got my priorities in other areas, but at least I'm investing. How did you pick that ETF and what platform did you go with?
Speaker 5: I bought investing Machines on the Money.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's a great book. I heard great things about that book.
Speaker 5: I injured my back and my brother in law sat next to me and read it to me while I tried not to cry about my saw back because he's a gem.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, what a legend. Also, you could have picked a better book, like if I'm sad out of my back, I don't want to hear investing with She's on the money like read me some I don't know, fifty shades of great probably inappropriate for that dynamic that you.
Speaker 5: Had, not for the brother in law.
Speaker 2: I'm from Tasmania, so maybe that's okay. I don't know.
Speaker 4: But at the end of the day, like I would have picked something a little bit more engaging that maybe would have felt less painful.
Speaker 5: But you do, you booth, Well, we learned things and that was fun. Bick.
Speaker 2: I couldn't agree more.
Speaker 4: But obviously the book isn't going to give you exactly what ETF to invest in, but more like a process of elimination and how to pick one.
Speaker 2: But what did you come up with? What did you say?
Speaker 4: All right, well, now I've done my research, this is the ETF for me, and this is how I'm going to do it.
Speaker 5: So for me, it was about choosing socially responsible ETFs because that's something that I'm quite passionate about. So I didn't want to be accidentally investing in my money that would go against sort of my own values. So I broke it down based on my values. I then looked at what opacity I had to contribute. I get paid weekly, so it's easy for me to manage my contributions weekly. I can't like put money away, No, it's there to like build up to then invest in one big bolt go, So I have to do it, you know, in incremental amounts. So then that kind of led to me making a decision on what the fees would be in terms of like my purchases and what would hurt me less. So I suppose there was both that kind of like financial decision along with also the moral and you know, kind of personal values decision, and that's sort of how I got there in the end.
Speaker 2: Yeah, gorgeous. Can I ask what platform you picked to invest on?
Speaker 5: Cheers eas? Oh?
Speaker 4: Why am I not surprised? So little ches on the money stand? And then what ETF did you pick? Just out of interest not advice? Obviously we're just being pervy.
Speaker 5: I need to know the socially responsible option that they have on their platform.
Speaker 2: Very sexy. I like this.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so it's a combination of a few things. Yeah, I'm just using it as an opportun unity. It's not doing super well at the moment.
Speaker 2: No, the market isn't, so that makes sense.
Speaker 5: So I'm just letting it chip away and then I'll check it in like ten years.
Speaker 4: That is a very good way to approach investing. I don't hate that at all. All right, let's flip the narrative. You are an a money person I would assume also an A personality type because you and I are very similar. So tell me now, which is probably going to be hard for an A personality type.
Speaker 2: What's your worst money habit.
Speaker 5: I don't know if you would be surprised by this, but I think there's definitely a thread of people pleasing that comes from an A personality type. Yep. And I would say probably setting boundaries, which I'm working on. We're getting there. I get excited about things that my friends want to do, and sometimes I don't always have the capacity to afford it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's fair.
Speaker 5: I don't have a credit card, so I've never liked borrowing to do things. It just means that maybe I'm eating too minute norse week to do things, and that's okay. Or not. But I've implemented a buffer fund just stop dipping into my savings, and that's actually worked really well. And then I think it just comes with time and maturity in terms of the kind of friends that you have around you, people that you trust, and how you communicate just boundaries in general with people. And I think it's just I'm slowly getting there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love that, and I like the I guess ability to self reflect on that saying, oh, I'm a bit of a people pleaser, needs to be better at setting boundaries is something that I need to do too. But then also when I look at my money story and I look at my values, I kind of like being a people pleaser. At the same time, I think there's this very negative connotation when you say, oh, there's a people pleaser like that, it's a negative thing.
Speaker 5: I want to make people happy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And do you know what, if I've got the funds and I know that this thing that I could purchase is going to make your day even better, I'm going to do it anyway.
Speaker 2: And I don't think that that is a negative thing.
Speaker 4: I think we just need to be really aware of those things so that they don't end up negatively impacting our bigger goals. Because if making those decisions is what's getting in the way of purchasing your first home, if that's your biggest goal, or investing or getting out of personal debt, then we really need to like reflect a bit more.
Speaker 2: However, Like, I think you would be on.
Speaker 4: The same page as me, Like, I kind of like being a little bit of a people pleaser at the same time. Yeah, I need to be maybe a little bit better at boundaries and not agree to so much. However, I really like that one of my personality traits is, you know, being generous and being kind and you know, wanting the best for other people. And I don't think that's ever negative. And I think that we need to change that narrative around, like, oh, she's such a people pleaser to like, oh, she's a really kind and generous human being exactly.
Speaker 5: And if I'm the friend that people think will say yes to the wine tour, then I'm not mad about that perception at all.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm pregnant, but I'm still there. I will be there with bells on.
Speaker 2: You're like, I'll drive, yeah, exactly. Look how much value I'm bringing as a friend already.
Speaker 4: Oh, my gosh, I love this. I love our conversation. Unfortunately we are almost out of time. However, at the start of this episode, you said I'm an A I'm not going to argue with you. I don't think anyone listening to this episode is going to argue with you.
Speaker 2: But you didn't say A plus. What would it take to get you to an A plus?
Speaker 5: I think I could be a bit more strategic about things sometimes, like you know, researching the actual shares an investment economy and things instead of choosing a low effort option.
Speaker 2: That's not a bad option though.
Speaker 4: That was a smart decision from you for a very passive investment portfolio, so can't say you're wrong there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so I think they make the right decisions, but I do sometimes choose the easier ones just to stay in my comfort zone. So I think I could push myself a little bit out of my comfort zone. That might boster me up to an A plus. But I know everybody talks about the side hustles, but I'm really not going to do that because I'm like, working is enough.
Speaker 2: That's so valid.
Speaker 4: Like I obviously love a side hustle, right, Like get it, Queens.
Speaker 5: You are obviously the Queen of side hustles in the sense that now look at you.
Speaker 4: Yep, and it works for me, but you know what, it doesn't work for everybody. And I think that there is a lot of beauty in actually having off time. So find your niche and love it hard, and don't feel bad when other people are doing different, because different doesn't necessarily mean better. More money is not necessarily better lifestyle, and enjoying your world is to me the most important thing.
Speaker 5: But one hundred percent. I always said, you know, you live to work or you work to live, right, and if you're living to work, then you have to do your passion. You can't live it any other way because it's going to be your life and it has to then be what you love. But if you're working to live, you don't have to do something necessarily that you adore, but you have to make sure that you've got time to do things that you adore. I so love that I choose something that I am good at and I like it. It's not exactly my passion. I would say that my passion is reading about one hundred and fifty romance books a year.
Speaker 2: Well, that's a sleigh, that's just a little bit of a flex. She's on the Money's books were not the romance once though.
Speaker 5: Hey no, they kind of took it down to like maybe one hundred and forty five romance books and stuff fun.
Speaker 4: I can see why you didn't get your brother in law to read those to you, because it could have gotten very awkward very quickly.
Speaker 2: But I love this.
Speaker 4: I love this for you, and I think that's honestly a perfect place to leave it, Money Dicet.
Speaker 2: I'm so grateful for you and your.
Speaker 4: Story and you sharing a little bit about your mum, Like it's so nice to talk about people who aren't with us anymore. And I think too often we just sweep it under the rug and go, oh my gosh, you lost your mum.
Speaker 2: That's so unfortunate.
Speaker 4: By let's change the topic of the conversation because sometimes it can be awkward. But I can tell you love talking.
Speaker 2: About your mum.
Speaker 4: She was a brilliant person and you've been when you talk about her, and you deserve to talk about her more. So I really hope that more people around you want to have more conversations, not like this one, but like more conversations about your mum and about her legacy and what she's created, and how proud of you she would be. But it has been an absolute pleasure having I guess an hour to sit down with you and chat and learn about you and your life.
Speaker 2: So thank you so much for that.
Speaker 5: Thank you, It's been a delight as well.
Speaker 3: The advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision.
Speaker 2: If you do choose to buy a financial.
Speaker 3: Product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial.
Speaker 2: Advice tailored towards your needs.
Speaker 3: Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of Money. SHEPA Pty Ltd A E N three two one six four nine two seven seven zero eight A F s L four five one two eight nine